Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The voters are beginning to see that Boris Johnson is not the

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Now that we have two, non-YouGov polls without a Brexit Party lead it's interesting to note that there has only been one non-YouGov poll to show the Brexit Party with a poll lead.

The Conservative Party may have been panicked into electing Johnson as Prime Minister on the basis of a quirk of the opinion polls. This is quite remarkable.

Survation has the Tories tied with Labour under Johnson today but 3% behind Labour with Hunt so wrong
    That is a miniscule difference. All you have proved is that Boris Johnson is currently more recognisable.
    Wrong again.

Boris picks up more Brexit Party voters than he loses to the LDs.

Hunt loses voters to the Brexit Party without picking up any new voters from the LDs.

Hunt is also Foreign Secretary, hardly unrecognisable
    That is a little rude for such a polite chap as you, but no, not wrong, because as I say Johnson is very highly recognisable, probably doubly so when compared to Hunt.

I will therefore ask again, the key question that needs to be asked: Please explain to us, other than your belief that he might be better at winning elections, WHY does the polemicist Mr Johnson have what it takes to be the Chief Executive of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?

It may have escaped you, but being a Chief Executive requires a bit more than just spouting populist drivel in puerile newspaper articles.
    And being PM and winning an election and delivering Brexit requires more than being a cold fish businessman like Hunt, it actually requires some passion and belief in Brexit as Boris has
    I refer you to my previous answer on Father Christmas and flat earthers. Please answer the question I would like to know. What skills does the celebrity polemicist Mr Johnson have that will make him a good Chief Executive?
    We are not electing a chief executive we are electing a Prime Minister with charisma, conviction and belief who wants to deliver Brexit and has the campaigning skills to win a general election which Boris has
    And thus deliver thebrexit which will probably destroy the Union and the Conservative and Unionist Party. But when the alternative is a swift decline and replacement by Farage and the Brexit Party, i can see the appeal
    Most likely outcome I think.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    TSE is right, Boris is not the Messiah!

It is time for Tory members to ditch the rose tinted specticles and see Boris for the inarticulate bufoon the rest of us can see. He has poor judgement, impulsive behaviour and no empathy for the people he intends to govern. He is completely out of touch with those who make or break political parties in marginal seats at a GE.

Jeremy Hunt is by far the better candidate. Tory members should back him.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,779
    Mr HYUFD, I am sure you are a nice man, but really, you are naïve in the extreme. Look at any effective leaders from around the world and they need executive capability, leadership, eye for detail, decisiveness, and the really good ones also have consistency and principles. Churchill, Margaret Thatcher and even Blair had most of these things in spade loads. Charisma is nice, but it is worthless without the other characteristics. Boris is hopeless on all fronts and his so-called charisma (don't see it myself) will melt in the first heat of action. He will simply look like the buffoon, poseur and spoilt little liar that he is, and he will drag his party and the country down with his overwhelming incompetence. Maybe he should win so he and the people that voted for him and Brexit can reap the effects of the shitstorm that you claim he is responsible for, but I cannot wish that on my fellow countrymen.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Now that we have two, non-YouGov polls without a Brexit Party lead it's interesting to note that there has only been one non-YouGov poll to show the Brexit Party with a poll lead.

The Conservative Party may have been panicked into electing Johnson as Prime Minister on the basis of a quirk of the opinion polls. This is quite remarkable.

Survation has the Tories tied with Labour under Johnson today but 3% behind Labour with Hunt so wrong
    That's the difference you're basing your support for Boris on?
    I know die-hard Remainers who tend to be present on PB in large numbers want all 3 main parties to again have Remainers as Leader but I actually want a Leaver now who will deliver Brexit
    Boris Johnson is not a "Leaver". He is an egotist. He saw that pretending to support leaving the UK as best way to support his egotistical ambitions. He would vociferously claim that Father Christmas was real and the earth was flat if he thought that enough Tory members believed such propositions. He is a serial liar, but worse than that he does not have the most fundamental skills to do the job which he is applying for.
    Boris was key to Leave winning, had Farage rather than Boris been the Leave frontman Leave would have narrowly lost rather than narrowly won
    You are stating speculation as fact rather than what it is; speculation.

Please answer the question on why Boris will make a good Chief Executive. Perhaps like many who are voting for him, you don't know what makes a good CE? That is OK, but please say so.
    You are yet again assuming being elected a PM or President merely requires being a CEO, that is wrong, ask Mitt Romney
    No, I do not. It requires being a CEO+++. Boris is just a celebrity- - -
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Things are so fcuked up, Fox has become the voice of reason.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1142741823510605824

You could not make it up , it is like Alice in Wonderland.
    It is indeed. I find myself agreeing with Liam Fox and a post by a supporter of the SNP.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    @MikeSmithson have you traded out of your Boris lay?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That's the difference you're basing your support for Boris on?
    I know die-hard Remainers who tend to be present on PB in large numbers want all 3 main parties to again have Remainers as Leader but I actually want a Leaver now who will deliver Brexit
    Boris Johnson is not a "Leaver". He is an egotist. He saw that pretending to support leaving the UK as best way to support his egotistical ambitions. He would vociferously claim that Father Christmas was real and the earth was flat if he thought that enough Tory members believed such propositions. He is a serial liar, but worse than that he does not have the most fundamental skills to do the job which he is applying for.
    Boris was key to Leave winning, had Farage rather than Boris been the Leave frontman Leave would have narrowly lost rather than narrowly won
    You are stating speculation as fact rather than what it is; speculation.

Please answer the question on why Boris will make a good Chief Executive. Perhaps like many who are voting for him, you don't know what makes a good CE? That is OK, but please say so.
    You are yet again assuming being elected a PM or President merely requires being a CEO, that is wrong, ask Mitt Romney
    No, I do not. It requires being a CEO+++. Boris is just a celebrity- - -
    No it doesn't, otherwise Dewey would have beaten Truman, Gore beaten Bush, Romney beaten Obama, Ford beaten Carter and here May clearly beaten Corbyn, Heath always beaten Wilson and Clegg beaten Miliband and Cameron
  • Options

Mr HYUFD, I am sure you are a nice man, but really, you are naïve in the extreme. Look at any effective leaders from around the world and they need executive capability, leadership, eye for detail, decisiveness, and the really good ones also have consistency and principles. Churchill, Margaret Thatcher and even Blair had most of these things in spade loads. Charisma is nice, but it is worthless without the other characteristics. Boris is hopeless on all fronts and his so-called charisma (don't see it myself) will melt in the first heat of action. He will simply look like the buffoon, poseur and spoilt little liar that he is, and he will drag his party and the country down with his overwhelming incompetence. Maybe he should win so he and the people that voted for him and Brexit can reap the effects of the shitstorm that you claim he is responsible for, but I cannot wish that on my fellow countrymen.

Without charisma you lose anyway and do not get the chance to lead or deliver anything, again ask Mitt Romney.

Churchill, Blair and Thatcher all had charisma as well as other executive skills
  • Options
    edited June 2019

It is time for Tory members to ditch the rose tinted specticles and see Boris for the inarticulate bufoon the rest of us can see. He has poor judgement, impulsive behaviour and no empathy for the people he intends to govern. He is completely out of touch with those who make or break political parties in marginal seats at a GE.

Yes we know almost all the Remainers on PB would vote for Jeremy Hunt by a landslide but most Tory members and indeed 52% of the voters are Leavers
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    HYUFD said:

Without charisma you lose anyway and do not get the chance to lead or deliver anything, again ask Mitt Romney.

Churchill, Blair and Thatcher all had charisma as well as other executive skills
    Either you haven’t read or haven’t understood Nigel’s post. Have another try.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Mitt Romney would probably have been an excellent President. That he wasn't elected doesn't detract from that. The only thing you can claim for Johnson is that he *might* have a better chance of winning an election. Albeit of the two candidates he is the more likely to have to fight one in the immediate future. But, HYUFD, you've said absolutely nothing about why he would be any good at doing the job. Even the one thing you think he would deliver is doubtful given that his stated means of achieving it is based on absolute nonsense.

And in relation to the policy that you've made up for him - what happens if the Northern Ireland electorate reject the backstop???
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    HYUFD said:

Yes we know almost all the Remainers on PB would vote for Jeremy Hunt by a landslide but most Tory members and indeed 52% of the voters are Leavers
    Not now they aren't. Many people have realised what a disaster Brexit will be.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    malcolmg said:

Things are so fcuked up, Fox has become the voice of reason.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1142741823510605824

You could not make it up , it is like Alice in Wonderland.
    When we have definitive proof that Grayling can tie his own shoelaces, that'll be the final sign of the coming apocalypse.
  • Options

+1

I agree with you 100% about Boris!

I dont think people being interested in what Boris says should be mistaken for charisma. As soon as he has to make a decision people will turn against him. He is not a salesman or persuader IMO. He will fall flat on his face as he he blunders in front of the camaras.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Scott_P said:
    What she means is that she knows if there is a 2nd vote she will lose her seat.

As John McTern said in Reaction online magazine, don't come between an MP and their seat.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That is a miniscule difference. All you have proved is that Boris Johnson is currently more recognisable.
    Wrong again.

Hunt loses voters to the Brexit Party without picking up any new voters from the LDs.

That is a little rude for such a polite chap as you, but no, not wrong, because as I say Johnson is very highly recognisable, probably doubly so when compared to Hunt.

I will therefore ask again, the key question that needs to be asked: Please explain to us, other than your belief that he might be better at winning elections, WHY does the polemicist Mr Johnson have what it takes to be the Chief Executive of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?

It may have escaped you, but being a Chief Executive requires a bit more than just spouting populist drivel in puerile newspaper articles.
    And being PM and winning an election and delivering Brexit requires more than being a cold fish businessman like Hunt, it actually requires some passion and belief in Brexit as Boris has
    I refer you to my previous answer on Father Christmas and flat earthers. Please answer the question I would like to know. What skills does the celebrity polemicist Mr Johnson have that will make him a good Chief Executive?
    We are not electing a chief executive we are electing a Prime Minister with charisma, conviction and belief who wants to deliver Brexit and has the campaigning skills to win a general election which Boris has
    God you sound more like Comical Ali as each day passes.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wrong again.

God you sound more like Comical Ali as each day passes.
    His argument appears to be that because Boris has so successfully hoodwinked Tory MPs and most Tory members, he’ll surely be able to hoodwink the rest of us.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    alex. said:

Mitt Romney would probably have been an excellent President. That he wasn't elected doesn't detract from that. The only thing you can claim for Johnson is that he *might* have a better chance of winning an election. Albeit of the two candidates he is the more likely to have to fight one in the immediate future. But, HYUFD, you've said absolutely nothing about why he would be any good at doing the job. Even the one thing you think he would deliver is doubtful given that his stated means of achieving it is based on absolute nonsense.

And in relation to the policy that you've made up for him - what happens if the Northern Ireland electorate reject the backstop???

If he gets the job Boris also has the belief in Brexit May and Hunt do not really have to deliver Brexit and a GB FTA with the EU out of the Single Market and Customs Union.

On the backstop if Northern Ireland voters reject it and vote for a hard border with the Republic of Ireland that is Barnier and Varadkar's problem not Boris' but it is likely Northern Ireland voters will vote for it given the polling there
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am talking about who will be best as PM not Brexit!

Jeremy Hunt is articulate, well balanced and genuine.

Boris is a spoilt brat who is out of touch according to his partner. You dont get a better evaluation of someones character than by a partner...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

My main problem with Boris is that there is no depth to him at all. It is clear that he does not believe a word of what he says. It's great not to take yourself too seriously but my sense of him is that he takes NOTHING seriously. There is nothing there other than a bluff entertaining persona, a decent vocabulary, and a gargantuan sense of entitlement.

Don't get me wrong, he's not pure poison like Trump, definitely not, but we really ought to be able to do better than this for Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:
    LOL, we want to fund a 3rd runway for London like we want a hole in the head and given Tories hide in the back of blacked out range rovers and never see a member of the public one can only imagine the well wishers are the 13 brown noser MPs and the Colonel
    +1 - given a choice between flying via London or via Schiphol give me Schiphol any day...
    Terminal 4 at Heathrow, yes. Terminal 5 at Heathrow, absolutely not.

And I can get there in 45 minutes from where I live.

Terminal 5 is superb for British Airways business.
    It takes half a day to get there from Scotland though so why any idiot would think we would want another runway is not right in the tattie.
    Nicola Sturgeon is an idiot then?

Quite right. I agree.
  • Options

To add to all the chaos over Brexit and Boris, it is reported today that Corbyn and his cabal are considering levying capital gains tax on all sales of private homes

What have we all done to deserve this abject failure of our politicians

Superb. It will lose them millions of votes.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wrong again.

We are not electing a chief executive we are electing a Prime Minister with charisma, conviction and belief ....
    Unless you count the conviction (and belief ?) that he should be PM, Boris only scores on one of those.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

If he gets the job Boris also has the belief in Brexit May and Hunt do not really have to deliver Brexit and a GB FTA with the EU out of the Single Market and Customs Union.

On the backstop if Northern Ireland voters reject it and vote for a hard border with the Republic of Ireland that is Barnier and Varadkar's problem not Boris'
    Believing in nonsense isn’t going to help us any. You didn’t even vote for Brexit yourself, and you’re as gullible as they come.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

If he gets the job Boris also has the belief in Brexit May and Hunt do not really have to deliver a GB FTA.

On the backstop if Northern Ireland voters reject it and vote for a hard border that is Barnier and Varadkar problem not Boris
    As I said earlier, believing that Boris "believes in Brexit" is like a child believing his parents believe in Father Christmas. Boris believes in "Project Boris's Ego" in the same way Trump believes in "Project Donald's Ego", anything else, (including argumentative girlfriends no doubt) is secondary to that priority. Electing egotists never ends well.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Bozo has been over inflated by the media who keep telling us how popular he is and how much the public like him .

When the truth is he has a hardcore of groupies who would drink Kool Aid if he told them to.

The rest of the public can’t stand him. Hunt is beige but much less divisive and won’t trash the UKs reputation .

People wouldn’t walk over hot coals to vote against him but they certainly will with Bozo .

• Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    HYUFD said:

Boris is the only one who can deliver brexit now and unite the country. He’s far from perfect , but despite a one off survation poll, he will beat Corbyn (and do labour a favour) and get the tories a majority back so they aren’t reliant on the DUP and purge put the ultra remainers or at least make them powerless to prevent brexit . Hunt cannot achieve this . This is why Boris is hated because they fear him and know he will destroy remain , and labour .
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Boris is the only one who can deliver brexit now and unite the country. He’s far from perfect , but despite a one off survation poll, he will beat Corbyn (and do labour a favour) and get the tories a majority back so they aren’t reliant on the DUP and purge put the ultra remainers or at least make them powerless to prevent brexit . Hunt cannot achieve this . This is why Boris is hated because they fear him and know he will destroy remain , and labour .
    Oh dear another groupie! Tell us why he has the qualities required to be a good PM?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

My main problem with Boris is that there is no depth to him at all. It is clear that he does not believe a word of what he says. It's great not to take yourself too seriously but my sense of him is that he takes NOTHING seriously. There is nothing there other than a bluff entertaining persona, a decent vocabulary, and a gargantuan sense of entitlement.

Don't get me wrong, he's not pure poison like Trump, definitely not, but we really ought to be able to do better than this for Prime Minister.
    Indeed, Boris does not seem to run on anything definitive. It is not good enough.

Give us a National Govt headed by Ken Clarke, David Cameron or Tony Blair any day!
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Bozo has been over inflated by the media who keep telling us how popular he is and how much the public like him .

When the truth is he has a hardcore of groupies who would drink Kool Aid if he told them to.

The rest of the public can’t stand him. Hunt is beige but much less divisive and won’t trash the UKs reputation .

People wouldn’t walk over hot coals to vote against him but they certainly will with Bozo .

Boris is (would be) the first PM for whom the campaign to unseat him (by his own side) is organising and underway before he has even been elected.
  • Options

To add to all the chaos over Brexit and Boris, it is reported today that Corbyn and his cabal are considering levying capital gains tax on all sales of private homes

Labour heading into massive overreach territory at this rate. These CGT changes follow from last week's IHT changes that would see scrapping of Osborne's £1m family home property exemption, scrapping of the 7 year rule and a lifetime cap of £125K.

A fascinating contrast with the old Brown/Blair model that you need to utterly bombproof your tax policy announcements in run up to a GE.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

You will find that delivering Brexit and uniting the country are utterly incompatible. Quite possibly not delivering Brexit and uniting the country are also incompatible, but that’s the fault of the right wing fanatics that have pushed us down this path in the first place.
  • Options

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Oh dear another groupie! Tell us why he has the qualities required to be a good PM?
    Time will tell Nigel , time will tell , let’s see where we are in six months , if we have a conservative majority humble pie may be required .
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

You will find that delivering Brexit and uniting the country are utterly incompatible. Quite possibly not delivering Brexit and uniting the country are also incompatible, but that’s the fault of the right wing fanatics that have pushed us down this path in the first place.
    And a certain intellectually challenged left winger who inadequately did his job as LoTO
  • Options
    I see the CGT story comes from the same report as the IHT stuff. The report's main finding is on a Land Value Tax, which seems far more sensible and vote catching than attacking family home owners.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9355770/corbyns-labour-mulling-new-proposal-to-grab-more-tax-from-homeowners/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I'm a Leaver and I'd vote for Hunt.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Or just tell us how Brexit unites the country. It only got 52% three years ago, and appears to be rather less popular now.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Time will tell Nigel , time will tell , let’s see where we are in six months , if we have a conservative majority humble pie may be required .
    Once again, I ask the question, not can he win an election, but how does he have the qualities to do the job? Winning elections is only the first bit. It is like winning a job at interview. You then have to do it. What qualities does this polemicist/journalist/celebrity politician have to be First Among Equals in a cabinet that is the executive of our country?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nico67 said:

Boris is (would be) the first PM for whom the campaign to unseat him (by his own side) is organising and underway before he has even been elected.
    Not the first main party leader though as Corbyn will confirm
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

nico67 said:

Not the first main party leader though as Corbyn will confirm
    An apt comparison. Just a shame you seem to be the only member to appreciate the analogy. Think a bit more on the implications.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Well said
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Well said
    Not very well said at all. To talk about "purging remainers" and also uniting the country is just plain thick. Sorry to say it how it is.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Yes, it's simply not true that all Leavers are barking. Many who are not post here and put a case that is at least coherent even if not universally accepted.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Once again, I ask the question, not can he win an election, but how does he have the qualities to do the job? Winning elections is only the first bit. It is like winning a job at interview. You then have to do it. What qualities does this polemicist/journalist/celebrity politician have to be First Among Equals in a cabinet that is the executive of our country?
    What qualities did John Major have or Tony Blair or Gordon Brown or Cameron. A Cabinet of all the talents is what makes good government . Boris is more than capable of leading such a cabinet . He did ok in London he can do ok for the UK
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    DougSeal said:

Scott_P said:

Johnson is facing five plots to derail his premiership before it has even started:

● Tory MPs plan to write to May saying they will not vote for Johnson in a motion of no confidence, making it difficult for her to recommend that the Queen invites him to form a government because he will not be able to command a majority in the House of Commons.

● Dominic Grieve, the former attorney- general, yesterday confirmed that even if this does not work, a sizeable group of Tory MPs is prepared to vote with Labour to bring down the government if Johnson persists with his plan to leave the EU by October 31 come what may. He said another Tory could be summoned to the palace instead.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/mps-plotting-to-make-boris-pm-for-just-one-day-br03hdsv9

I though Dominic Grieve lost a local party no-confidence vote. Has he just decided to ignore that vote now as well as the referendum?
    The brains trust that forms the membership of both our main parties has failed to understand that when you deselect someone you lose your leverage over them. What’s he got to lose? If this parliament lasts, as it could, for another three years Grieve can do what he wants in that time and then go back to the Bar.
    Grieve has not been deselected - though the threat is clearly there.
  • Options
    I'm still waiting Mr HYUFD. I am still a member of the party that used to claim to be Conservative and Unionist, and I have a vote in this highly undemocratic process. Tell me why I should think Boris should be PM (not just leader of the Party), or at the very least why I should not fear his incompetence in that position?
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Once t bit. It is like winning a job at interview. You then have to do it. What qualities does this polemicist/journalist/celebrity politician have to be First Among Equals in a cabinet that is the executive of our country?
    What qualities did John Major have or Tony Blair or Gordon Brown or Cameron. A Cabinet of all the talents is what makes good government . Boris is more than capable of leading such a cabinet . He did ok in London he can do ok for the UK
    Erm, the Mayoralty is largely a ceremonial function but even so he had some well-publicised failures of which I think the Garden Bridge and Water Cannons were the most famous.

He screwed up as Foreigh Secretary too. It's not a great record in office.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Much good that did Mrs May. Who had the pick of the same people, including Boris himself.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

And Hunt would lose to Corbyn and probably end up revoking brexit , the BXP would then destroy what is left of the Tory party . Its Boris or nothing
  • Options

I'm still waiting Mr HYUFD. I am still a member of the party that used to claim to be Conservative and Unionist, and I have a vote in this highly undemocratic process. Tell me why I should think Boris should be PM (not just leader of the Party), or at the very least why I should not fear his incompetence in that position?

I have told you umpteen times as he believes in Brexit and will deliver it and a FTA for GB.

However as you are a diehard Remainer you will obviously be voting for Hunt so it is pointless discussing it further with you
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    edited June 2019
    So, in early/mid September, the polls are showing Cons 25, Lab 23, BP, 22 and LibDems 17, and the EU ain’t giving an inch. Does PM Johnson seek to call an election? Would his Cabinet/MPs and allow him when the risks are so great?

OK, an alliance with the BP then? Excellent.... but which Conservative MPs are going to voluntarily - or be compelled to - stand aside from their safe seats so that the BP can have a reasonable shot at having a respectable contingent in the Commons? Nigel ain’t so daft as to agree that they will only stand in seats held by Labour, LibDem etc.

“Dear Sir Graham....”
  • Options
    Yes, it's bollocks though.

The idea that Scots will flock to independence after the car crash of Brexit over the last three years, which the breakup of the UK would make look like a picnic, is fanciful in the extreme.
  • Options
    Mr kjohnw, Gordon Brown would be a good comparison with Boris. The others had the qualities of executive leadership, decisiveness, hard work, eye for detail, knowledge of different departments either in opposition or government. Fundamentally they knew how to command a brief. Boris is an abject failure in the departments he has "worked" in. I wouldn't put him in charge of a parish council.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

So, in early/mid September, the polls are showing Cons 25, Lab 23, BP, 22 and LibDems 17, and the EU ain’t giving an inch. Does PM Johnson seek to call an election? Would his Cabinet/MPs and allow him when the risks are so great?

OK, an alliance with the BP then? Excellent.... but which Conservative MPs are going to voluntarily - or be compelled to - stand aside from their safe seats so that the BP can have a reasonable shot at having a respectable contingent in the Commons? Nigel ain’t so daft as to agree that they will only stand in seats held by Labour, LibDem etc.

“Dear Sir Graham....”

An election is no way out for anyone.

It would lead to a Parliament even more hung and incapacitated than this one is.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

And Hunt would lose to Corbyn and probably end up revoking brexit , the BXP would then destroy what is left of the Tory party . Its Boris or nothing
    Wouldn't nothing be far better than Boris?
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think that's true at all.

Voters would rally around Hunt to stop Corbyn.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    IanB2 said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Much good that did Mrs May. Who had the pick of the same people, including Boris himself.
    The current Leaver master plan involves Boris Johnson discarding any talent who is not seen as a pH 14 Leaver. So a government of a quarter of the talents.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

I used to think there was considerable merit in the argument that only Boris can beat Jezza.

But Boris's performance so far has been poor. Low energy and shifty. Lacking the old mojo and clearly under strict orders to avoid the media, public etc.

If he campaigns in a GE like this then he will lose.
  • Options

Labour heading into massive overreach territory at this rate. These CGT changes follow from last week's IHT changes that would see scrapping of Osborne's £1m family home property exemption, scrapping of the 7 year rule and a lifetime cap of £125K.

A fascinating contrast with the old Brown/Blair model that you need to utterly bombproof your tax policy announcements in run up to a GE.
    The Tory campaign materials write themselves.

Of course it might only have traction in Tory v. labour marginals. Elsewhere hitherto safeish Tory seats could be vulnerable to the LDs on a "make it stop" message.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

The idea that Scots will flock to independence after the car crash of Brexit over the last three years, which the breakup of the UK would make look like a picnic, is fanciful in the extreme.
    I’m not sure that “we’ve wrecked the UK, now don’t you see why Scotland should stay part of it” is a referendum-winning platform.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

The one thing that will turn wavering Tory members back to Boris is wee nippy sweetie sticking her oar in
  • Options

IanB2 said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

The current Leaver master plan involves Boris Johnson discarding any talent who is not seen as a pH 14 Leaver. So a government of a quarter of the talents.
    Fox will be gone. He has developed an annoying habit of engaging with trade rules reality.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I have told you umpteen times as he believes in Brexit and will deliver it and a FTA for GB.

However as you are a diehard Remainer you will obviously be voting for Hunt so it is pointless discussing it further with you
    I may well not vote at all, but you still have not answered my question. Yes you see everything through the prism of Brexit, that much is obvious, but if Boris groupies want to be sure he gets the job then he needs to demonstrate he can do the job of being PM, not just cheerleader in chief for Brexit. By-the-way, I accept that we have to go through with the madness known as Brexit, and that Boris Johnson is partly responsible for that calamity. Hunt has also promised to deliver on this, and it is difficult to see how he can retreat from that. Personally if I were you I would trust his integrity rather more than Johnson, because Boris Johnson has none of that particular commodity!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    As a person who is green on Warren I hope so.

She has a pin sharp, simple message (eat the rich) and the ability to answer any question with her message which think connects with the Democratic base.

As Biden continues to fuck up his enourmas lead has to go somewhere and I don't see Biden backers switching to Sanders.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

She has a pin sharp, simple message (eat the rich) and the ability to answer any question with her message which think connects with the Democratic base.

As Biden continues to fuck up his enourmas lead has to go somewhere and I don't see Biden backers switching to Sanders.
    Not sure Biden is exactly f***ing up. A minor wobble or two so far I'd say. TV debates this coming week, so we will know a lot more by Friday.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    HYUFD said:

We learned once again from those Birmingham hustings why Johnson avoids scrutiny at every opportunity.

There now follows a party political broadcast on behalf of the Labour Party ...
    https://twitter.com/ofocbrexit/status/1142492050119692290?s=21

That’s hardly a PPB for the Labour Party when it was your very own Gordon Brown who gleefully saved the bankers.

But rest-assured that the SNP will be using this Boris quote. Boris is quite simply a gift that keeps on giving. Ruth is in despair.

Saving the bankers came with saving the banks. That was absolutely necessary and is not the same thing as being their friends. However, putting that aside I think you'll struggle to argue that the Labour party now is led by the same kind of people who were leading it in 2008. Totally agree on Johnson and Scotland. The right-wing English nationalism he has embraced at the behest of Bannon and the utter uselessness of Scottish Labour are both gifts to the SNP. I suspect the LibDems may also benefit.

The Brexit Party were second in Scotland in the European Parliament elections
    Er... which is relevant how?

We were talking about the Boris bankers gaffe, Gordon Brown and Scottish independence.

Some of your Scottish comments are a bit freestyle/surreal. BXP fixation.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

I’m not sure that “we’ve wrecked the UK, now don’t you see why Scotland should stay part of it” is a referendum-winning platform.

All the Brexiteers who whine it was about Sovereignty, not economics, haven't yet made the logical connection to that argument in Scotland...
  • Options

I think that was true last year. I think the damage to democracy has already happened. We may well be better able to repair it inside the EU than out of it.

OK being very sunny side up -

Another referendum which Remain wins by a big margin - none of this 52/48 business - and so we stay in the EU but get something sorted on free movement.

Subsequent GE sees a party advocating Leave again and they do poorly.

Onwards and upwards.

Something like this would be good from here. But I have to force myself to believe it.
  • Options

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think that's true at all.

Voters would rally around Hunt to stop Corbyn.
    Whereas many would consider Corbyn to stop Boris. I’d think about it myself.
  • Options

Dunno, 'HMG comprehensively fucked up Brexit and would even more comprehensively fuck up Scoxit' seems like a winner to me.
  • Options
    Saw that. It was vicious.

The Tory civil war is still in full stride. Going on for over three decades now. The end is nigh.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Scott_P said:

All the Brexiteers who whine it was about Sovereignty, not economics, haven't yet made the logical connection to that argument in Scotland...
    Citation required.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

The Tory civil war is still in full stride. Going on for over three decades now. The end is nigh.
    Problem is the wrong sides winning..
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Why is it about the Tory party rather than what’s best for the country?
  • Options
    The shredding of the incriminating evidence has begun.

https://twitter.com/nwbrux/status/1142667436178759680
  • Options
    nichomar said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Always has been, always will be.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    HYUFD said:

If there is no point in discussing it with people who have established positions why are Hunt and Boris on a 20+ date tour of the country?

Your problem is that you have chosen to believe one set of pronouncements by Boris and are taking that as gospel whereas you know perfectly well you can’t trust a thing he says.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Problem is the wrong sides winning..
    ‘Twas ever thus in civil war.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    nichomar said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

That's the only thing it's been about for some time now.
  • Options

Though the leavers haven’t been fighting each other for three decades....
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Always has been, always will be.
    Yes we had the referendum to stop the tories losing seats. They should have said if the country wants leave the Eu they can vote for a party with that policy. It wouldn’t have happened but the tories might have lost, who knows but it’s better than where we are now
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    HYUFD said:

Don't cup the Boris balls, just grip the shaft.

• Options
    Alistair said:

She can continue to rise at the expense of Sanders.
    Biden’s support is of a different order, and will be resilient to gaffes... until it isn’t. Or rather, until older Democrats start to doubt that he is their best chance of beating Trump.

538 have a good piece on this, which seems intuitively correct:
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-will-bidens-latest-comments-affect-his-standing-in-the-democratic-primary/

In fact, Biden’s comments might reinforce one thing some black voters like about him: Biden might be relatable to people with some racist views, making Biden more electable than, say, a black candidate. It’s hard to get at these dynamics in formal polls. But in interviews I’ve done (and other reporters have found this as well), black voters often express the view that the U.S. elections in 2008 and 2012 were somewhat of an anomaly (that Americans would elect a black president). For them, 2016 was a return to normal (Americans elected a president who had expressed some anti-black sentiments). One of the challenges for Harris’s campaign in particular has been that many African-Americans voters, having watched the hatred of Obama from some Republicans and then Trump’s victory, believe that America is too racist and sexist to elect a black female president....
  • Options
    nichomar said:

kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

Because that’s politics , the Tory party is essentially an election winning machine . It is the
    raison d'être For why they exist. And to stop us becoming a socialist republic of ofcourse
  • Options
    mwjfrome17mwjfrome17 Posts: 158

Its interesting that Dr Fox tells us the truth at this point: he hasn't called out any of the leave BS before. None of these bloody people put the country first, its all about self-interest.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Civil war is like that. The organisation(s) involved eventually eat themselves. Look at how complicated many internal conflicts become. Libya good modern example.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Yes we had the referendum to stop the tories losing seats. They should have said if the country wants leave the Eu they can vote for a party with that policy. It wouldn’t have happened but the tories might have lost, who knows but it’s better than where we are now

What, 'chaos with Ed Miliband' would have been better than this? Surely not!
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    A question for all the experts on here. If I wanted to wipe out the Conservative Party, could you beat this scenario -

- A rival party on the right with a grievance to play on that resonates with Tory supporters.
    - A Labour Party with a programme that appeals strongly to its base and which motivates its activists.
    - A controversial leader with a backstory that repels large chunks of potential supporters.
    - A Lib Dem revival on the back of advocating a policy that appeals to a large chunk of the Tory base which is located in geographical areas where the Conservatives hold a lot of seats.

• Options

Nigelb said:

Civil war is like that. The organisation(s) involved eventually eat themselves. Look at how complicated many internal conflicts become. Libya good modern example.
    Unless a Napoleon, Cromwell or Lenin figure gets a grip and puts to the sword the more radical of their own side. Can’t see Boris rising to that challenge, for sure.
  • Options

A question for all the experts on here. If I wanted to wipe out the Conservative Party, could you beat this scenario -

- A rival party on the right with a grievance to play on that resonates with Tory supporters.
    - A Labour Party with a programme that appeals strongly to its base and which motivates its activists.
    - A controversial leader with a backstory that repels large chunks of potential supporters.
    - A Lib Dem revival on the back of advocating a policy that appeals to a large chunk of the Tory base which is located in geographical areas where the Conservatives hold a lot of seats.

A Tony Blair type figure (for the current age) would be a better bet at point two.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298

NEW THREAD

• Options
    IanB2 said:

A Tony Blair type figure (for the current age) would be a better bet at point two.
    Better for the Labour vote certainly. But it might not cost the blues quite so many seats.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

You forgot to add in a ticking clock where something has to happen, and delay incurs a huge political cost.
  • Options

You forgot to add in a ticking clock where something has to happen, and delay incurs a huge political cost.
    A very good point.
This discussion has been closed.