Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The voters are beginning to see that Boris Johnson is not the

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    edited June 2019
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

If what you’re saying is that MPs who vowed to implement the referendum result stopped a deal they thought did that, because a minority of others didn’t think it went far enough, then that doesn’t reflect well on them.

Leave-supporting Labour MPs generally aren't my favourite group of people but they're politicians, obviously they do politics. "Give me what I want in defiance of your party and I'll accuse you of treason" isn't a massively convincing argument.
    You’ve lost me there. I am talking about Remain supporting MPs who won their seats in 2017 on a pledge to implement Brexit, then voted down Mays deal and pointed at the ERG. If they’d voted for it, the ERG would have been defeated, we’d have left, & moved on.

If we had an EFTA/EEA Brexit that appealed to Remainers we would have had already left and moved on. Two can play at this ridiculous game.
    Not really, because the cover for those that have thwarted Brexit, is that if the ERG didn’t vote for it why should they?
    And why should they?
    Because Labour and Tory MPs, inc Grieve, Soubry, Allen and Umunna, were elected in 2017 on a promise of delivering the referendum verdict. They didn’t, and now they come 3rd, 4th and somewhere far off in the distance in national elections
    The Tory manifesto said we needed to know the future relationship within the 2 year period. The government failed to deliver so MPs were not going against the manifesto by voting against the WA.
    We voted to Leave and haven’t left, thanks to the votes of Remain MPs who were elected on a pledge to Leave. That all there is to it.
    Thanks to them yes, but not only thanks to them. That's all there is to it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Who are the 9% who say the incident makes them more likely to vote for Johnson ?

And why ?

They believe the motivation of the story to damage him shows that they need to back him to preserve Brexit, I assume.
    Ah, conspiracy theorists.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited June 2019
    isam said:

You’ve lost me there. I am talking about Remain supporting MPs who won their seats in 2017 on a pledge to implement Brexit, then voted down Mays deal and pointed at the ERG. If they’d voted for it, the ERG would have been defeated, we’d have left, & moved on.

OK, where I came in was that somebody said the ERG and friends were responsible for Brexit stalling because if they'd supported the WA it would have passed, and you correctly pointed out that if you look at the actual vote numbers and move the Tory leavers into TMay's column it still wouldn't have been enough. My response to that was that Leave opposition lost TMay a fair few *leave*-minded Labour MPs. I could have said the same about *Tory* Remainers. So if the Tory Leave advocates had supported the WA, it would have passed and Brexit would have happened, but they didn't, so it didn't.

I doubt *Remain*-minded Labour MPs would have voted for TMay's deal anyway. I think the argument about whether they should is made elsewhere on the thread (and others). But mathematically, TMay should have been able to get her way if she'd just had Tories + misc leavers - DUP.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Great news for the SNP.

Christmas has come early . And people wonder why Scottish Tory MPs are dreading a Bozo premiership .

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

If what you’re saying is that MPs who vowed to implement the referendum result stopped a deal they thought did that, because a minority of others didn’t think it went far enough, then that doesn’t reflect well on them.

Leave-supporting Labour MPs generally aren't my favourite group of people but they're politicians, obviously they do politics. "Give me what I want in defiance of your party and I'll accuse you of treason" isn't a massively convincing argument.

If we had an EFTA/EEA Brexit that appealed to Remainers we would have had already left and moved on. Two can play at this ridiculous game.
    Not really, because the cover for those that have thwarted Brexit, is that if the ERG didn’t vote for it why should they?
    And why should they?
    Because Labour and Tory MPs, inc Grieve, Soubry, Allen and Umunna, were elected in 2017 on a promise of delivering the referendum verdict. They didn’t, and now they come 3rd, 4th and somewhere far off in the distance in national elections
    The Tory manifesto said we needed to know the future relationship within the 2 year period. The government failed to deliver so MPs were not going against the manifesto by voting against the WA.
    We voted to Leave and haven’t left, thanks to the votes of Remain MPs who were elected on a pledge to Leave. That all there is to it.
    That’s clearly not all there is to it. Voting for the deal is regarded by the Brexit Party as the mark of the Remainer.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,257
    France and negative bonds:

"when the market does something completely bonkers, it is always a sign of a bubble about to burst."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/06/21/investors-paying-lend-money-france-sign-markets-have-gone-mad/
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,019
    edited June 2019

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

And why should they?
    That’s clearly not all there is to it. Voting for the deal is regarded by the Brexit Party as the mark of the Remainer.
    Only about 10% of voters are committed No Dealers, most Leavers would accept the WA and a FTA
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Great news for the SNP.

Christmas has come early . And people wonder why Scottish Tory MPs are dreading a Bozo premiership .

Boris polls better than Corbyn and May in Scotland on that poll
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

And why should they?
    Exactly. There was a video going around on social media a few weeks ago where a reasonably prominent Brexit supporting cabinet minister whose name escapes my memory was harangued in the street by a welsh lady who said he was betraying the will of the people because he had supported May's deal. Hilarious and tragic simultaneously.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    kle4 said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

And why should they?
    Thanks to them yes, but not only thanks to them. That's all there is to it.
    So the ERG are remain MPs who blocked May's deal? Just trying to get my head around things...
  • Options
    That poll was conducted by Yes Scotland and including Don't Knows Yes is still under 50%
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

And why should they?
    Only about 10% of voters are committed No Dealers, most Leavers would accept the WA and a FTA
    It wasn't that long ago that most remainers would have accepted the WA and an FTA. There's probably still enough voters who would accept it and vote for the Conservative Party that delivered it to give it a decent majority. The problem is the party itself.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993

Scott_P said:
    Why does Scotland want a third runway?
    Who gives a shit what Jim Pickard thinks, nasty bile ridden tweet..
    Your campaign for more pb positivity going well?
    Yes I was pointing out the nasty tone of his tweet, Its just a cheap shot from a journo who has fuck all else to say.
    He was merely pointing out that there would be scant crowds in Scotland for either of them despite the rhetoric and fantasising that Scotland likes Tories.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,286
    Barnesian said:

EMA including latest Survation

Con 21.9%, Lab 25.1%, LD 18.1%, Brex 22.1%, Grn 6.9%

Con 116
    Lab 250
    LD 65
    Brex 147
    Grn 1
    PC 2
    SNP 51
    NI 18

Lab 76 short of overall majority.

Although the detail will be wrong, I think the overall shape is instructive.

Both the Tory and Lab vote is being severely reduced by the Brexit party and LibDems (and Greens). But the Tories are much more damaged in terms of seats.

I guess that is something to do with the more even spread of the Leave vote and the vagaries of FPTP.

The concentration of Labour support in Inner London, South Wales, Liverpool and the like means it is more resilient to the punishment of falling national share (assuming UNS, which increasingly we can't)
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Well, first they supported it:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/10/heathrow-third-runway-expansion-scottish-government

Then they abstained. Now they're having a think.....
    I am talking about the people , politicians will just just follow what benefits their thinking.
    Only an idiot could think that an extra runway in London , funded with our money , is of any benefit to Scotland. It merely keeps us as serfs having to waste best part of a day going via London.
    Depends where you're going. If its East then Emirates has daily flights from Edinburgh and twice daily from Glasgow. If its west then expect more direct flights as the A321NeoLR comes into service. You can already fly direct from Glasgow to Toronto & New York.
    Flying from Scotland to most places is not direct , we are well short changed and treated as a region, that is what happens when you are a colony.
    I doubt , Belgians, Danish , Swedish etc have direct flights from their major airports. Being an English region does us no favours whatsoever.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. B2, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that, as BP might consume the Conservatives, the Lib Dems could eclipse Labour. After all, if you're a pleasant, pro-EU London type who doesn't fancy defending voting for Corbyn, the Lib Dems are right there [they were in the past, of course, but it seems times have changed].
  • Options
    Just a shame there is no such thing, Liz?
  • Options
    It was in response to Liz Truss saying that there can be an implementation period if we No Deal without the WA.
  • Options
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,124
    What's this, Ruth less popular than Wee Nippy?

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1142695081171914755

When the train of fake progressiveness hits the buffers of Brexiteers, sectarians, racists and xenophobes that you consort with.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/10/heathrow-third-runway-expansion-scottish-government

I am talking about the people , politicians will just just follow what benefits their thinking.
    Only an idiot could think that an extra runway in London , funded with our money , is of any benefit to Scotland. It merely keeps us as serfs having to waste best part of a day going via London.
    Depends where you're going. If its East then Emirates has daily flights from Edinburgh and twice daily from Glasgow. If its west then expect more direct flights as the A321NeoLR comes into service. You can already fly direct from Glasgow to Toronto & New York.
    Flying from Scotland to most places is not direct , we are well short changed and treated as a region, that is what happens when you are a colony.
    I doubt , Belgians, Danish , Swedish etc have direct flights from their major airports. Being an English region does us no favours whatsoever.
    Sorry but direct flights are a numbers game and the fact Scotland has 4 airports (Aberdeen, Inverness, Glasgow, Edinburgh) does make getting the numbers for direct flights is so much harder....
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

When the train of fake progressiveness hits the buffers of Brexiteers, sectarians, racists and xenophobes that you consort with.

Ruth Davidson is as popular as Nicola Sturgeon?

Quite the finding
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Just a 1% difference between Davidson and Sturgeon and still 2 years until the next Holyrood election
  • Options

That poll also suggests the LDs will do best against the SNP at the next general election rather than either a Boris or Hunt led Tories or Corbyn Labour
  • Options
    Even Fox is saying Boris is talking bollx:

https://twitter.com/BBCVickiYoung/status/1142733133370023936
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Nigelb said:

Who are the 9% who say the incident makes them more likely to vote for Johnson ?

And why ?

Because it shows him as 'human'. Someone they can relate to. And also someone who unlike your normal politician speaks his mind without a filter - in this case telling his girlfriend 'how it is' when she touched his laptop.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited June 2019

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

And why should they?
    People are only attracted by the Brexit Party because they will put pressure on the establishment to honour the referendum vote. I doubt many ordinary punters want no deal.

Anyway I am of no influence, and going round in circles arguing is getting no one anywhere. I voted Leave having been told by the government that it would be the choice of the voters, not politicians. 3 years later we haven’t left, because of the choice of politicians.

• Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

And why should they?
    We voted to Leave
    52% voted to Leave, rounded up. 48% didn't and there's lots of evidence the country is now pro Remain.

Making a seismic change on a split vote is bad politics and bad ethics. At the very least, given the horlicks and that what's now on the table is demonstrably not the same as what people voted for, it should go back for a confirmatory vote in a series of choices.

The fact that hard right Leavers like you are denying this possibility simply proves you know you've lost the moral argument.

You won't last.
  • Options

Mr. B2, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that, as BP might consume the Conservatives, the Lib Dems could eclipse Labour. After all, if you're a pleasant, pro-EU London type who doesn't fancy defending voting for Corbyn, the Lib Dems are right there [they were in the past, of course, but it seems times have changed].

Certainly there's a future where a constituency of the educated young gives the LibDems a firm base across a swathe of London, the University seats and Home Counties middle class towns, securing 50+ seats in parliament, from which they can advance in good years. It's where they were headed until Clegg pulled his masterstroke on tuition fees
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Quite the finding
    The last Yougov approval rating poll comparing Sturgeon & Davidson in Jun '18 had it as NS -2%, RD +11% (to much Yoon chortling), so yes, quite the finding. Thankfully Nicola isn't encumbered with a party that's about as popular as syphilis.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    edited June 2019
    Have we discussed the latest (pre-Squabblegate) Opinium?

Lab 26 (+4), BXP 23 (-3), Con 20 (+3), LD 16 (=), Greens 6 (-4, I think)

Corbyn noses in front of May for best PM, though "neither" wins.

https://www.opinium.co.uk/political-polling-19th-june-2019/
  • Options

Quite the finding
    The last Yougov approval rating poll comparing Sturgeon & Davidson in Jun '18 had it as NS -2%, RD +11%, so yes, quite the finding. Thankfully Nicola isn't encumbered with a party that's about as popular as syphilis.
    It’s McHYUFD!
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    HYUFD said:

That poll also suggests the LDs will do best against the SNP at the next general election rather than either a Boris or Hunt led Tories or Corbyn Labour
    You do realise this polls have a random error of 2 or 3 per cent, and a systematic error of GodKnowsWhat.

We can conclude from that poll that Hunt, Gove, Farage and Javid are hugely unpopular as compared against Davidson, Sturgeon, Stewart and Cable.

Presumably Boris is off-scale?

There is a big gap between Cable and Javid and that gap looks trustworthy.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

And why should they?
    We voted to Leave
    52% voted to Leave, rounded up. 48% didn't and there's lots of evidence the country is now pro Remain.

Making a seismic change on a split vote is bad politics and bad ethics. At the very least, given the horlicks and that what's now on the table is demonstrably not the same as what people voted for, it should go back for a confirmatory vote in a series of choices.

The fact that hard right Leavers like you are denying this possibility simply proves you know you've lost the moral argument.

You won't last.
    We voted to leave 😘
  • Options
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

Sorry but direct flights are a numbers game and the fact Scotland has 4 airports (Aberdeen, Inverness, Glasgow, Edinburgh) does make getting the numbers for direct flights is so much harder....
    Yes but one of the four at minimum should be the major airport, population would make it either Glasgow or Edinburgh, the other two are regional airports.
    It is criminal that the choice of direct flights is so poor , even if it has improved a bit.
  • Options
    isam said:

Quite the finding
    The last Yougov approval rating poll comparing Sturgeon & Davidson in Jun '18 had it as NS -2%, RD +11%, so yes, quite the finding. Thankfully Nicola isn't encumbered with a party that's about as popular as syphilis.
    It’s McHYUFD!
    Shouldn't you be fluffing for Boris?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

LOL , Wee wullie winkie doing anything , I seriously doubt it
  • Options

isam said:

Quite the finding
    It’s McHYUFD!
    Alright touchy! 🤣

Not up to your usual average standard, I don’t care who wins the Tory leadership and have never voted for Boris. That aside, good point 👍🏻

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Just a 1% difference between Davidson and Sturgeon and still 2 years until the next Holyrood election
    SNP only been in power for 12 years and Sturgeon still more popular than the Messiah and only 2 years to the next Holyrood annihalation.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    isam said:

isam said:

Quite the finding
    It’s McHYUFD!
    Alright touchy! 🤣

Not up to your usual average standard, I don’t care who wins the Tory leadership and have never voted for Boris. That aside, good point 👍🏻

Apologies, I meant sticking up for Boris against the onslaught of femiStasi, metroMarxist, Remoaner snoopers waging a war against him.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Quite the finding
    It’s McHYUFD!
    Alright touchy! 🤣

Apologies, I meant sticking up for Boris against the onslaught of femiStasi, metroMarxist snoopers waging a war against him.
    Zzzzzzz give up now 👍🏻
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Quite the finding
    It’s McHYUFD!
    Alright touchy! 🤣

Apologies, I meant sticking up for Boris against the onslaught of femiStasi, metroMarxist snoopers waging a war against him.
    Zzzzzzz give up now 👍🏻
    'Zzzzzzz'

Your rhetorical skills on fire today.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Opinium most overstated BXP at the Euros. 38% rather than 31%.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Quite the finding
    It’s McHYUFD!
    Alright touchy! 🤣

Zzzzzzz give up now 👍🏻
    'Zzzzzzz'

Instinctive!

Go quote some hypothetical polling to someone who cares 😘
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Leave-sblockquote>

You’ve lost me there. I am talking about Remain supportin
    And why should they?
    It wasn't that long ago that most remainers would have accepted the WA and an FTA. There's probably still enough voters who would accept it and vote for the Conservative Party that delivered it to give it a decent majority. The problem is the party itself.
    Yes, that nails it concisely. I would have grudgingly accepted the deal myself when it first came out, as the archives will attest, as at least offering a path toward a sensible Brexit. But seeing so many leaver politicians insisting only a catastrophic Brexjt will do, offering the prospect of never-ending futile carping and wrangling even if by some miracle we did make a sensible exit, plus now the prospect of ditching the whole thing altogether, means that I would vote against it now. If the fanatics can never be satisfied the only other path is to push them back to the fringes.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Quite the finding
    It’s McHYUFD!
    Alright touchy! 🤣

Zzzzzzz give up now 👍🏻
    'Zzzzzzz'

Instinctive!

You southerners are getting right tetchy/touchy nowadays. Must be something in the water.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Quite the finding
    It’s McHYUFD!
    Alright touchy! 🤣

Zzzzzzz give up now 👍🏻
    'Zzzzzzz'

Instinctive!

You southerners are getting right tetchy/touchy nowadays. Must be something in the water.
    Just had a little harmless dig at Divvies polling post, he or she seems to have taken umbrage. What can I say? Awfully sorry to have upset them, it was only a joke
  • Options
    isam said:

malcolmg said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Quite the finding
    It’s McHYUFD!
    Alright touchy! 🤣

Zzzzzzz give up now 👍🏻
    'Zzzzzzz'

Instinctive!

Just had a little harmless dig at Divvies polling post, he or she seems to have taken umbrage. What can I say? Awfully sorry to have upset them, it was only a joke
    Will be rule soon that you have to have JOKE / SARCASM / IRONY headers on posts , the Tories are laying waste to all before them. England has gone batshit mad.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

Remove the word Brexiteers and you could easily be talking about the SNP. Nationalism of any stripe feeds off sectarianism, racism and xenophobia. The Scottish version aims these areas of hatred mainly at the English, so I suppose you will feel this is OK.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Now that we have two, non-YouGov polls without a Brexit Party lead it's interesting to note that there has only been one non-YouGov poll to show the Brexit Party with a poll lead.

The Conservative Party may have been panicked into electing Johnson as Prime Minister on the basis of a quirk of the opinion polls. This is quite remarkable.
  • Options

Now that we have two, non-YouGov polls without a Brexit Party lead it's interesting to note that there has only been one non-YouGov poll to show the Brexit Party with a poll lead.

The Conservative Party may have been panicked into electing Johnson as Prime Minister on the basis of a quirk of the opinion polls. This is quite remarkable.

There were no Westminster VI polls with a UKIP lead, but Dave panicked into the referendum
  • Options
    Already posted, Yes still under 50% including Don't Knows in this Yes Scotland poll and Boris still more popular in Scotland than Corbyn is.

Also it presumes Boris goes to No Deal when what he actually wants is a FTA for GB and let Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop in NI by referendum
  • Options

HYUFD said:

You do realise this polls have a random error of 2 or 3 per cent, and a systematic error of GodKnowsWhat.

We can conclude from that poll that Hunt, Gove, Farage and Javid are hugely unpopular as compared against Davidson, Sturgeon, Stewart and Cable.

Presumably Boris is off-scale?

There is a big gap between Cable and Javid and that gap looks trustworthy.
    Boris is more popular than Corbyn in Scotland on this poll
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Already posted, Yes still under 50% including Don't Knows in this Yes Scotland poll and Boris still more popular in Scotland than Corbyn is.

Also it presumes Boris goes to No Deal when what he actually wants is a FTA for GB and let Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop in NI by referendum
    Your blind loyalty to someone so completely unsuited to the job for which he has applied is somewhat odd. Malcolm Rifkind nailed it this morning on BBC when he said about Thatcher and Major's grasp of detail and their commitment to hard work, combined with an ability to see the big picture across all departments. Your only hope for Boris Johnson is that he has some sort of celeb appeal (mainly because he plays a fool) that makes him more appealing than Corbyn (not a high bar). This is not a game of I'm a Celebrity, it is about who is suited to run a government ffs. Members of the Tory Party need to grow up.
  • Options

Survation has the Tories tied with Labour under Johnson today but 3% behind Labour with Hunt so wrong
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Survation has the Tories tied with Labour under Johnson today but 3% behind Labour with Hunt so wrong
    That is a miniscule difference. All you have proved is that Boris Johnson is currently more recognisable.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That is a miniscule difference. All you have proved is that Boris Johnson is currently more recognisable.
    OK, Mr HYUFD, please explain to us, other than your belief that he might be better at winning elections, WHY does the polemicist Mr Johnson have what it takes to be the Chief Executive of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    IanB2 said:

Yes, that nails it concisely. I would have grudgingly accepted the deal myself when it first came out, as the archives will attest, as at least offering a path toward a sensible Brexit. But seeing so many leaver politicians insisting only a catastrophic Brexjt will do, offering the prospect of never-ending futile carping and wrangling even if by some miracle we did make a sensible exit, plus now the prospect of ditching the whole thing altogether, means that I would vote against it now. If the fanatics can never be satisfied the only other path is to push them back to the fringes.

Becoming all out war - although thankfully only of words as yet.

Wuss that I am, I still favour the Withdrawal Agreement over 2nd Referendum and Remain.

I think if Brexit does not happen the damage to our democracy will be worse than the damage to the country that Brexit will cause.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Wrong again.

Boris picks up more Brexit Party voters than he loses to the LDs.

Hunt loses voters to the Brexit Party without picking up any new voters from the LDs.

Hunt is also Foreign Secretary, hardly unrecognisable
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    HYUFD said:

That's the difference you're basing your support for Boris on?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Your blind loyalty to someone so completely unsuited to the job for which he has applied is somewhat odd. Malcolm Rifkind nailed it this morning on BBC when he said about Thatcher and Major's grasp of detail and their commitment to hard work, combined with an ability to see the big picture across all departments. Your only hope for Boris Johnson is that he has some sort of celeb appeal (mainly because he plays a fool) that makes him more appealing than Corbyn (not a high bar). This is not a game of I'm a Celebrity, it is about who is suited to run a government ffs. Members of the Tory Party need to grow up.
    You need to go to the LDs rather than telling Tory members what to do
  • Options

HYUFD said:

OK, Mr HYUFD, please explain to us, other than your belief that he might be better at winning elections, WHY does the polemicist Mr Johnson have what it takes to be the Chief Executive of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?
    We are not electing a ceo, tell Mitt Romney how well that went in the USA in 2012.

Boris has charisma and is committed to delivering Brexit Deal or No Deal
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Quite the finding
    It’s McHYUFD!
    Alright touchy! 🤣

Zzzzzzz give up now 👍🏻
    'Zzzzzzz'

Instinctive!

I hadn't quoted any polling at you whatosever, but you seemed to care enough to jump in feet first with whichever brand of ned trainers you prefer. Weird.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wrong again.

Hunt loses voters to the Brexit Party without picking up any new voters from the LDs.

That is a little rude for such a polite chap as you, but no, not wrong, because as I say Johnson is very highly recognisable, probably doubly so when compared to Hunt.

I will therefore ask again, the key question that needs to be asked: Please explain to us, other than your belief that he might be better at winning elections, WHY does the polemicist Mr Johnson have what it takes to be the Chief Executive of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?

It may have escaped you, but being a Chief Executive requires a bit more than just spouting populist drivel in puerile newspaper articles.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I know die-hard Remainers who tend to be present on PB in large numbers want all 3 main parties to again have Remainers as Leader but I actually want a Leaver now who will deliver Brexit
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

We are not electing a ceo, tell Mitt Romney how well that went in the USA in 2012.

No he isn’t. His answers about No Deal are all based on fantasy. He would not deliver it. Boris is May Mk 2.
  • Options
    If it does come to pass, you can be sure that there will be a large chunk of Brexiteers/Borisites blaming it on anyone but themselves.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I know die-hard Remainers who tend to be present on PB in large numbers want all 3 main parties to again have Remainers as Leader but I actually want a Leaver now who will deliver Brexit
    I want a Leaver who will fail to deliver Brexit. Boris is the man for the job.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Boris Johnson is not a "Leaver". He is an egotist. He saw that pretending to support leaving the UK as best way to support his egotistical ambitions. He would vociferously claim that Father Christmas was real and the earth was flat if he thought that enough Tory members believed such propositions. He is a serial liar, but worse than that he does not have the most fundamental skills to do the job which he is applying for.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No he isn’t. His answers about No Deal are all based on fantasy. He would not deliver it. Boris is May Mk 2.
    Boris will deliver a FTA for GB and let Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop in a referendum
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Boris Johnson is not a "Leaver". He is an egotist. He saw that pretending to support leaving the UK as best way to support his egotistical ambitions. He would vociferously claim that Father Christmas was real and the earth was flat if he thought that enough Tory members believed such propositions. He is a serial liar, but worse than that he does not have the most fundamental skills to do the job which he is applying for.
    Freudian slip there. Should say leaving the EU, but in Boris's case we might as well say leaving the UK as well.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343

Opinium most overstated BXP at the Euros. 38% rather than 31%.
    That may also be relevant for the finding in the same poll that 48% now favour a no-deal Brexit in October if no deal has been reached, vs only 40% favouring a second referedum. But that's striking all the same.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wrong again.

That is a little rude for such a polite chap as you, but no, not wrong, because as I say Johnson is very highly recognisable, probably doubly so when compared to Hunt.

I will therefore ask again, the key question that needs to be asked: Please explain to us, other than your belief that he might be better at winning elections, WHY does the polemicist Mr Johnson have what it takes to be the Chief Executive of Great Britain and Northern Ireland?

It may have escaped you, but being a Chief Executive requires a bit more than just spouting populist drivel in puerile newspaper articles.
    And being PM and winning an election and delivering Brexit requires more than being a cold fish businessman like Hunt, it actually requires some passion and belief in Brexit as Boris has
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Boris will deliver a FTA for GB and let Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop in a referendum
    He can’t do that without winning an election and betraying the DUP. How will he manage that?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Boris was key to Leave winning, had Farage rather than Boris been the Leave frontman Leave would have narrowly lost rather than narrowly won
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Becoming all out war - although thankfully only of words as yet.

Wuss that I am, I still favour the Withdrawal Agreement over 2nd Referendum and Remain.

I think if Brexit does not happen the damage to our democracy will be worse than the damage to the country that Brexit will cause.
    I think that was true last year. I think the damage to democracy has already happened. We may well be better able to repair it inside the EU than out of it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wrong again.

And being PM and winning an election and delivering Brexit requires more than being a cold fish businessman like Hunt, it actually requires some passion and belief in Brexit as Boris has
    I refer you to my previous answer on Father Christmas and flat earthers. Please answer the question I would like to know. What skills does the celebrity polemicist Mr Johnson have that will make him a good Chief Executive?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He can’t do that without winning an election and betraying the DUP. How will he manage that?
    By winning an election and betraying the DUP (or actually letting Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop rather than just the DUP)
  • Options
    edited June 2019

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Quite the finding
    It’s McHYUFD!
    Alright touchy! 🤣

Zzzzzzz give up now 👍🏻
    'Zzzzzzz'

Instinctive!

I hadn't quoted any polling at you whatosever, but you seemed to care enough to jump in feet first with whichever brand of ned trainers you prefer. Weird.
    ‘McHYUFD’ was just meant as a light hearted, throwaway dig, I didn’t mean to be offensive or nasty. Your reaction makes it obvious it upset you, perhaps ‘Mc’ is racist. If so, sorry. I don’t want to spend all day engaging in childish tit for tat so let’s forget it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wrong again.

I refer you to my previous answer on Father Christmas and flat earthers. Please answer the question I would like to know. What skills does the celebrity polemicist Mr Johnson have that will make him a good Chief Executive?
    We are not electing a chief executive we are electing a Prime Minister with charisma, conviction and belief who wants to deliver Brexit and has the campaigning skills to win a general election which Boris has
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

By winning an election and betraying the DUP (or actually letting Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop rather than just the DUP)
    So his election manifesto will be based on ratifying the Northern Ireland backstop? How many Brexiteers who don’t trust Boris do you expect to defect to the Brexit Party?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Quite the finding
    It’s McHYUFD!
    Alright touchy! 🤣

Zzzzzzz give up now 👍🏻
    'Zzzzzzz'

Instinctive!

‘McHYUFD’ was just meant as a light hearted, throwaway dig, I didn’t mean to be offensive or nasty. Your reaction makes it obvious it upset you, perhaps ‘Mc’ is racist. If so, sorry. I don’t want to spend all day engaging in childish tit for tat so let’s forget it.
    Isam, obviously TUD is a bit more sensitive than myself, never mind
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Boris was key to Leave winning, had Farage rather than Boris been the Leave frontman Leave would have narrowly lost rather than narrowly won
    You are stating speculation as fact rather than what it is; speculation.

Please answer the question on why Boris will make a good Chief Executive. Perhaps like many who are voting for him, you don't know what makes a good CE? That is OK, but please say so.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So his election manifesto will be based on ratifying the Northern Ireland backstop? How many Brexiteers who don’t trust Boris do you expect to defect to the Brexit Party?
    His election manifesto will be to deliver Brexit Deal or No Deal only which allows him the flexibility to do that.

Most GB Brexiteers are more concerned with removing the temporary Customs Union for GB anyway (which Boris will do) than the backstop, it is the DUP most concerned about that
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You are stating speculation as fact rather than what it is; speculation.

Please answer the question on why Boris will make a good Chief Executive. Perhaps like many who are voting for him, you don't know what makes a good CE? That is OK, but please say so.
    You are yet again assuming being elected a PM or President merely requires being a CEO, that is wrong, ask Mitt Romney
  • Options
    juniusjunius Posts: 73

“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.” - Blaise Pascal

Think on this.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,250
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wrong again.

We are not electing a chief executive we are electing a Prime Minister with charisma, conviction and belief who wants to deliver Brexit and has the campaigning skills to win a general election which Boris has
    And thus deliver thebrexit which will probably destroy the Union and the Conservative and Unionist Party. But when the alternative is a swift decline and replacement by Farage and the Brexit Party, i can see the appeal
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

His election manifesto will be to deliver Brexit Deal or No Deal only which allows him the flexibility to do that.

Most GB Brexiteers are more concerned with removing the temporary Customs Union for GB anyway (which Boris will do) than the backstop, it is the DUP most concerned about that
    Will he explicitly seek a mandate to revert to the NI-only backstop or spring it on people after he has a majority? If the former, how will he counter accusations of capitulating to the EU that will be stoked by the DUP and Farage?
  • Options
    Things are so fcuked up, Fox has become the voice of reason.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1142741823510605824
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Wrong again.

We are not electing a chief executive we are electing a Boris has
    And thus deliver thebrexit which will probably destroy the Union and the Conservative and Unionist Party. But when the alternative is a swift decline and replacement by Farage and the Brexit Party, i can see the appeal
    Brexit with a FTA will avoid the former and still achieve the latter and Boris I still believe wants that.

Not delivering Brexit may ultimately lead to PM Farage which leads to No Deal, quite possibly the end of the Union and certainly the replacement of the Tories by the Brexit Party
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

OK, Mr HYUFD, please explain to us, other than your belief that he land?

So his election manifesto will be based on ratifying ect to the Brexit Party?

Will he explicitly seek a mandate to revert to the NI-only backstop or spring it on people after he has a majority? If the former, how will he counter accusations of capitulating to the EU that will be stoked by the DUP and Farage?
    The latter.

If he wins he will go to the EU as promised and ask to remove the temporary Customs Union for GB and to renegotiate the backstop.

The EU will agree the former not the latter.

So having achieved the former and got the way ahead for a GB FTA then Boris will reluctantly say he will let Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop in a referendum having tried but failed to remove it
  • Options

Things are so fcuked up, Fox has become the voice of reason.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1142741823510605824

You could not make it up , it is like Alice in Wonderland.
This discussion has been closed.