Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Team Boris thought thought Hunt would be a pushover then th

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    JackW said:

Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

UK, YouGov poll:

Wales independence referendum

Pro independence: 41% (+8)
    Against independence: 59% (-8)

This excludes 29% (+2) undecided.

Fieldwork: 10-15 May 2019
    Sample size: 1,133

A interesting question for pollsters is, if Scotland has left, would you support Wales becoming independent or would you wish to stay in the Union with England?

Once Scotland has gone, then Wales will go within the next decade.
    Which currency will you use?
    A Welsh currency? ... easy - The Kinnock - 100 Windbags = 1 Kinnock
    Too pronounceable.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,575
    Assume for now that Boris wins the leadership race. Labour table a VONC. Is there a route to Boris winning that vote if a handful of disaffected Tories vote against him? And isn't that exactly what at least a few will do. And if they announce that in advance (as Dominic Grieve perhaps did this morning) would TM ask the HM the Queen to invite Boris to try form a government. Is there an issue here?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    algarkirk said:

Assume for now that Boris wins the leadership race. Labour table a VONC. Is there a route to Boris winning that vote if a handful of disaffected Tories vote against him? And isn't that exactly what at least a few will do. And if they announce that in advance (as Dominic Grieve perhaps did this morning) would TM ask the HM the Queen to invite Boris to try form a government. Is there an issue here?

yep. in spades.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,845
    It's open season on Boris tonight I see. :D
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Boris haters gonna hate.

Convenient wheeze for dismissing any criticism of anything, isn't it? "You have always hated Boris anyway so you would say that, wouldn't you?" Not actually true in this case; up to about 2 weeks ago I did not think Boris was an asshole, but now I do.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Just your average neighbours who flick two fingers up in your the face, boast about it on Twitter, send hate mail then tape record your arguments and send them to The Guardian

Their interview was bizarre. Started off with concern about neighbours' safety - which was fair enough, then got on to how they voted in the referendum !
    Incredible that anyone thought it might not be politically motivated.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,531
    algarkirk said:

Yup, I did a thread on it,

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/06/06/theres-no-automaticity-that-the-next-tory-leader-becomes-prime-minister/
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

There was always going to be wobbly Saturday or Thursday or whatever. Always happens in a leadership bid. Bit surprised it has happened so early in the voting period.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Ishmael_Z said:

Boris haters gonna hate.

Convenient wheeze for dismissing any criticism of anything, isn't it? "You have always hated Boris anyway so you would say that, wouldn't you?" Not actually true in this case; up to about 2 weeks ago I did not think Boris was an asshole, but now I do.

What evidence has changed your mind?

• Options

GIN1138 said:

There was always going to be wobbly Saturday or Thursday or whatever. Always happens in a leadership bid. Bit surprised it has happened so early in the voting period.
    Prepare to be yet more surprised that it continues till so late in the voting period. And doesn't let up in the middle.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Just your average neighbours who flick two fingers up in your the face, boast about it on Twitter, send hate mail then tape record your arguments and send them to The Guardian

Their interview was bizarre. Started off with concern about neighbours' safety - which was fair enough, then got on to how they voted in the referendum !
    Was his girlfriend in on it? A possibility that should be considered...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899
    edited June 2019
    isam said:

h ttps://us.v-cdn.net/5020679/uploads/editor/1w/m3u4jnvl5fhg.jpeg

Not a shred of evidence they were anything to do with it though 🙄

Do you actually read what you post?

"...On neighbour, Earl McDermott, said yesterday 'It was a proper tear-up. Glasses being smashed, screaming and a lot of arguing. I thought someone was being murdered'..."

"...Another neighbour, a 32-year-old nursery worker called Fatimah, said 'There was a lot of shouting, a lady was screaming and I could hear glasses or plates being thrown quite a few times. The man was shouting back. i could hear it through my walls. It was obvious the lady was angry - she was screaming hysterically. My walls were shaking from the noise and things were being thrown around'..."

The neighbours you refer to are Eve Leigh and Tom Penn. They were the ones who submitted it to the Guardian. The tape contains an instance of Boris shouting "get off my f***ing laptop" before a loud crashing noise was heard, and that Carrie Symonds (Boris's current partner) had screamed "get off me" and "get out of my flat"

Now. Are you telling me that this is a conspiracy between Earl McDermott, "Fatimah", Eve Leigh and Tom Penn to fake testimony and an audio tape? Or is it a case of this is just a thing that happened?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

GIN1138 said:

Prepare to be yet more surprised that it continues till so late in the voting period. And doesn't let up in the middle.
    I wish. And not just because I am on Hunt at 110/1
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    alex. said:

Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

UK, YouGov poll:

A interesting question for pollsters is, if Scotland has left, would you support Wales becoming independent or would you wish to stay in the Union with England?

There are arguments about the true Scottish financial position within the UK. There are no such arguments in Wales...
    Wales & Scotland look at Ireland. They see a country that was once much poorer than them is now much richer than them.

They conclude that they might do better following Ireland's example.
  • Options
    Boris lives next door to Titania McGrath and Godfrey Elfwick
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    viewcode said:

isam said:

"...On neighbour, Earl McDermott, said yesterday 'It was a proper tear-up. Glasses being smashed, screaming and a lot of arguing. I thought someone was being murdered'..."

"...Another neighbour, a 32-year-old nursery worker called Fatimah, said 'There was a lot of shouting, a lady was screaming and I could hear glasses or plates being thrown quite a few times. The man was shouting back. i could hear it through my walls. It was obvious the lady was angry - she was screaming hysterically. My walls were shaking from the noise and things were being thrown around'..."

The neighbours you refer to are Eve Leigh and Tom Penn. They were the ones who submitted it to the Guardian. The tape contains an instance of Boris shouting "get off my f***ing laptop" before a loud crashing noise was heard, and that Carrie Symonds (Boris's current partner) had screamed "get off me" and "get out of my flat"

Now. Are you telling me that this is a conspiracy between Earl McDermott, "Fatimah", Eve Leigh and Tom Penn to fake testimony and an audio tape? Or is it a case of this is just a thing that happened?
    I don’t think he’s denying the contents of the tape.....
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Why does this Dunt fella always have "fucking" this and "fucking" that every time he tweets?

What's the Twitter equivalent of washing your mouth out with carbolic soup? :D
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    What will we get next ? A tape of Boris loudly making love to Carrie ?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    algarkirk said:

I can’t see many Tory MPs voting against him at this point and I’d expect he’d win a vote say in July .

The bigger issue will be in September . It doesn’t matter how many Tories for argument sake said they would vote against him , not sure the Queen could deal with hypotheticals.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897

alex. said:

Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

UK, YouGov poll:

There are arguments about the true Scottish financial position within the UK. There are no such arguments in Wales...
    Wales & Scotland look at Ireland. They see a country that was once much poorer than them is now much richer than them.

They conclude that they might do better following Ireland's example.
    When did they conclude that?
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Boris haters gonna hate.

What evidence has changed your mind?

Hiding from scrutiny during the preliminary rounds, and the domestic last night.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Before the voting has even started I think. Which is good for Hunt I guess, but he's so far behind, and we're probably about to reach the backlash/overdoing it phase of the news cycle.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    What a ridiculous overreaction by the media to this non-event - it's so over the top that Tory members are likely to start feeling more sympathy with Boris, not less.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

algarkirk said:

I can’t see many Tory MPs voting against him at this point and I’d expect he’d win a vote say in July .

The bigger issue will be in September . It doesn’t matter how many Tories for argument sake said they would vote against him , not sure the Queen could deal with hypotheticals.

It doesn't take "many" it takes barely a handful.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    viewcode said:

isam said:

Could be both. They wouldn’t have rung the Guardian or the police if it were a pro EU politician though

Do you actually think about what you read? People thought there was a murder, glasses being smashed etc etc, police called and they found nothing at all wrong. Wouldn’t you conclude the people being interviewed might have been exaggerating?
  • Options
    alex. said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

I am glad you mentioned his girlfriend.

Is she a private citizen?

According to Tom Penn: "I would ask that you [the press] leave private citizens alone ..."

Tom Penn seems a complete hypocrite.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

What a ridiculous overreaction by the media to this non-event - it's so over the top that Tory members are likely to start feeling more sympathy with Boris, not less.

Indeed.

From the reaction anyone would think Boris has been carted off in a police van on Thursday night...
  • Options

alex. said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

According to Tom Penn: "I would ask that you [the press] leave private citizens alone ..."

You're right. Hang him for having the temerity to supply a tape of Boris casting him in a poor light. Bastard!
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited June 2019
    Apparently the left wing neighbours asked Bozo to row with his girlfriend so they could tape it!

The right wing press seem obsessed by who taped it rather than the fact it happened .

So if the neighbours were Tory members would that make the row more believable !
  • Options

nico67 said:

algarkirk said:

It doesn't take "many" it takes barely a handful.
    And they are one more down from Brecon anyway, and depending on when theby-election is, could have another vote against to contend with.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Just as well Boris and Carrie will be moving into Downing St. shortly.

A neighborly fued appears to be brewing... :D
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,340
    GIN1138 said:

Why does this Dunt fella always have "fucking" this and "fucking" that every time he tweets?

I agree. His language says more about him than his cause. Unnecessary and stupid
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Bozo must be mighty relieved that he doesn't have an ex-wife who he cheated on multiple times just waiting to stick the knife in.....

I don’t *think* Marina would do that. She’s a good person
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    viewcode said:

isam said:

Reading that it seems more likely that it was Boris who was on the receiving end.
  • Options
  • Options
    blueblue said:

You could be right
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    algarkirk said:

No, there is not really an issue. The leadership election is due to end 22nd July. The Commons goes into recess on the 25th. Let's assume Boris wins and becomes PM on the 23rd. He only needs to survive a day and a half and he is home free till September, when, remember, if the gossip is true, he intends calling an election anyway.

What are the alternatives? That Theresa May stays on as Prime Minister through the summer? Good luck winning that confidence vote, which Labour will table.

Alternative number two is that Theresa May recommends the Queen invites Jeremy Corbyn to form a government. That's not going to happen.

No. Whoever wins the leadership election in July will become Prime Minister. Labour will move a confidence vote. Whether the government survives is in doubt, and whether it can win an autumn election, likewise, but the new leader will be prime minister, however briefly.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Trump did too, did not stop him

Trump has countless millions inherited from daddy he used to tie them into confidentiality agreements. The tabloids published his one with Ivana years ago iirc.
    I hope you mean Ivanka! 😆
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The right wing press seem obsessed by who taped it rather than the fact it happened .

Fairly typical reaction to negative press, like when something bad is leaked and the party in question's first reaction is anger at the leak, then fake contriteness over the bad thing.

But I don't think the assumption Tory members, on balance, are likely to think the probably wish of the tapers to injure Boris to be significant, even though they can hardly have caused the incident. Particularly if it stays as a story for much longer - it was already felt to be over the top by plenty of them, even more coverage will reinforce that.
  • Options
    Boris isn't very good at detail, not to worry, it's not about anything major

https://twitter.com/DLidington/status/1142522392633368576
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I agree. His language says more about him than his cause. Unnecessary and stupid
    I hate unnecessary foul language (wouldn't do it myself because even at gone 40 I'd be worried about my mother finding out :D )

I think we're old fashioned though Big G. :(
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Just as well Boris and Carrie will be moving into Downing St. shortly.

A neighborly fued appears top be brewing... :D
    "A neighborly fued appears top be brewing"

Been on the gin Gin? :wink:
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

blueblue said:

Indeed.

From the reaction anyone would think Boris has been carted off in a police van on Thursday night...
    It is the fact that, if he has to act like this, he lacks the self control to suppress the urge to do so at such a critical juncture. Can you imagine any actual leader, past or present, of a major party in this country behaving like this? If so, who?
  • Options

This 'confusion' over the implementation period has been mentioned enough times by people who claim to be very bright, so must be very deliberate. I assume as part of a strategy to assure people no deal will not be all that bad. Which I hope will be true as I think it is a likely scenario.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    Theresa May wasn't a "coronation" - she won the First Ballot in 2016 fair and square.

I would restrict the definition of "coronation" to Brown in 2007 and Howard in 2003. Neither faced a ballot of their MPs or members.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Meanwhile in the cricket the dominance of the side betting first continues.

Edit: that should be the dominance of the side bAtting first continues.

:lol:
  • Options
    Charles said:

Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Trump did too, did not stop him

Trump has countless millions inherited from daddy he used to tie them into confidentiality agreements. The tabloids published his one with Ivana years ago iirc.
    I hope you mean Ivanka! 😆
    Ivanka is the First Daughter. Ivana is Ivanka's mother, and Donald's ex-wife (or one of them).
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    GIN1138 said:

blueblue said:

Indeed.

At least with a future Boris and Carrie shout-athon in 10 Downing Street the Chancellor will only have to pop their head out of 11 Downing Street to tell the copper on the front step next door to get the pair of them to shut the f*ck up !! .... :smiley:
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

GIN1138 said:

blueblue said:

Indeed.

It is the fact that, if he has to act like this, he lacks the self control to suppress the urge to do so at such a critical juncture. Can you imagine any actual leader, past or present, of a major party in this country behaving like this? If so, who?
    He had a row with his partner?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

I thought Boris was supposed to be intellegent? He sounds like a lazy individual who is not a master of his brief. Given he campaigned to Leave with the ramifications for the economy and society. It is poor behaviour to be so badly briefed on his flagship policy.
  • Options
    isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

Could be both. They wouldn’t have rung the Guardian or the police if it were a pro EU politician though

Do you actually think about what you read? People thought there was a murder, glasses being smashed etc etc, police called and they found nothing at all wrong. Wouldn’t you conclude the people being interviewed might have been exaggerating?
    Oh, "exaggerating", riiight. OK, I'll bear that one in mind for the future. Somebody else has already gone with "hypocrite". How long before you elide further to "discredited"? 24 hours?

I don't think Boris is a wifebeater. And I'm content that the police have done their job. But that was before we had the absolute [badword] that constitute the total [badword] [badword] media in this country and they went full-on burn-the-witness-witches mode, because that's how we do things in the UK: if we can't prove they lied, we just go after them until they top themselves, and God knows they've done that before. I've never met Eve Leigh and Tom Penn, and neither have you, yet suddenly we're going after them like they were Ian Brady and Myra Hindley.

OK, rant over.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

No, there is not really an issue. The leadership election is due to end 22nd July. The Commons goes into recess on the 25th. Let's assume Boris wins and becomes PM on the 23rd. He only needs to survive a day and a half and he is home free till September, when, remember, if the gossip is true, he intends calling an election anyway.

What are the alternatives? That Theresa May stays on as Prime Minister through the summer? Good luck winning that confidence vote, which Labour will table.

Alternative number two is that Theresa May recommends the Queen invites Jeremy Corbyn to form a government. That's not going to happen.

No. Whoever wins the leadership election in July will become Prime Minister. Labour will move a confidence vote. Whether the government survives is in doubt, and whether it can win an autumn election, likewise, but the new leader will be prime minister, however briefly.
    If Boris becomes PM on the 23rd, what's to stop Labour calling a VoNC on the 24th? If that VoNC is lost, presumably the recess would have to be postponed for there to be any chance of a VoC within 14 days?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

alex. said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

You're right. Hang him for having the temerity to supply a tape of Boris casting him in a poor light. Bastard!
    I am pointing out that Carrie is just collateral damage to Tom Penn in this rather nasty business

I don't think Tom can ask for his (and his wife's) privacy to be respected as a private citizen, if he has failed to respect the privacy of other private citizens in this business.

Boris may or may not be fair game (depending on your POV).

But Carrie isn't -- she also seems to have had some unpleasant & unnerving experiences in her recent past.

Still, I am sure that the fearless & brave British press will trample all over Tom Penn's privacy (and Tom Penn's wife and Carrie's) --- he just won't get much sympathy from me, that is all.
  • Options
    Evening.

I don't pay all that much attention to those Scottish, Northern Irish and Welsh polls. And I am a staunch Unionist who would like to see devolution rolled back. It is bargaining power, and the irony is that the more we cave in to the SNP/Plaid/IRA-Sinn Fein then the more powerful they will seem than they really are.

Nicola Sturgeon doesn't have a veto on referendum results in this country.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

"...Another neighbour, a 32-year-old nursery worker called Fatimah, said 'There was a lot of shouting, a lady was screaming and I could ings were being thrown around'..."

Oh, "exaggerating", riiight. OK, I'll bear that one in mind for the future. Somebody else has already gone with "hypocrite". How long before you elide further to "discredited"? 24 hours?

I don't think Boris is a wifebeater. And I'm content that the police have done their job. But that was before we had the absolute [badword] that constitute the total [badword] [badword] media in this country and they went full-on burn-the-witness-witches mode, because that's how we do things in the UK: if we can't prove they lied, we just go after them until they top themselves, and God knows they've done that before. I've never met Eve Leigh and Tom Penn, and neither have you, yet suddenly we're going after them like they were Ian Brady and Myra Hindley.

OK, rant over.
    Take more water with it

They’re EU funded lefties who stick their fingers up at him in the corridor, send hate mail, plaster his car with abuse, tape his rows and send them to the press. We can draw different conclusions as to their motives, fine with me
  • Options
    JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

blueblue said:

Indeed.

At least with a future Boris and Carrie shout-athon in 10 Downing Street the Chancellor will only have to pop their head out of 11 Downing Street to tell the copper on the front step next door to get the pair of them to shut the f*ck up !! .... :smiley:
    :D

Didn't they say Tony and Cherie were prone to rather loud bust ups back in the day?
  • Options

Luckily he will not become PM. But if he does slip through, thanks to the cowardice of the Cameroon Tories, his premiership will be a clusterf***.

As Simon Heffer writes in today's Newstatesman:

Boris's premiership will most likely be "nasty, brutish and probably short"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

This 'confusion' over the implementation period has been mentioned enough times by people who claim to be very bright, so must be very deliberate. I assume as part of a strategy to assure people no deal will not be all that bad. Which I hope will be true as I think it is a likely scenario.
    No Deal is going to be great.

I agree with what Gove and what a lot Leavers think, sustained No Deal is the best way to ensure the UK rejoins the EU within a decade.

I am so up for No Deal.
  • Options

I thought Boris was supposed to be intellegent? He sounds like a lazy individual who is not a master of his brief. Given he campaigned to Leave with the ramifications for the economy and society. It is poor behaviour to be so badly briefed on his flagship policy.
    Oh, I imagine he knows quite well what he is saying. Given there is a widespread assumption the real plan is for a snap GE, with basis for that assumption as it is likely needed to break the deadlock, all the comments need to be considered in that context.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

He's either dishonest or he's ignorant, either way it's worrying that someone who was in the cabinet, was Foreign Secretary, and wants to be PM should get the basics of leaving the EU so wrong.
  • Options
    Well, it is the Mail so at least they get a free valuation of their flat.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I hate unnecessary foul language (wouldn't do it myself because even at gone 40 I'd be worried about my mother finding out :D )

Not really Gin. I think most people find foul language unnnecessary in any argument
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,856
    Ishmael_Z said:

GIN1138 said:

blueblue said:

Indeed.

I could easily imagine any of Melbourne, Palmerston, Asquith, Lloyd George, acting in a similar manner.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    GIN1138 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

GIN1138 said:

blueblue said:

Indeed.

He had a row with his partner?
    I suspect he was engaged in embarrasing behaviour if it was made public! To be honest if he was he should admit it and then everyone would move on. His refusal to comment on it just leads to more bad publicity and you cannot be opaque in high office.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Not really Gin. I think most people find foul language unnnecessary in any argument
    Expletives exist for a reason - used sparingly, in the right moment, they can punctuate a point very effectively.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    alex. said:

Alistair said:

The question is "is this momentum or is this a bounce"

My gut feel is it is a bou ce and take another poll in two days and Boris will be back to the first poll values.
    Depends - there's lots of old material on Boris's relationships that is not as widely known about as political anoraks assume. That could keep the momentum going.
    That was the assumption about Corbyn and the company he keeps.
  • Options

Am I alone in feeling that somehow Boris isn't firing on all cylinders? Not only isn't on top of some really basic questions, but there is a kind of malaise about him.

Does he really want this?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Some people think it's edgy and satirical to say "fuck."
  • Options

Luckily he will not become PM. But if he does slip through, thanks to the cowardice of the Cameroon Tories, his premiership will be a clusterf***.

Simon Heffer now writes for the New Statesman?
  • Options
    I think Boris will seriously fuck up Brexit and be forced from office before the end of the year.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

blueblue said:

Indeed.

:D

Didn't they say Tony and Cherie were prone to rather loud bust ups back in the day?
    Absolutely. Tony was regularly in the "Brown Stuff" with Cherie and also the then occupant of No 11 Downing Street for ten years !!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Where's HYUFD to tell us what this definitively means about the next GE?
  • Options

I think Boris will seriously fuck up Brexit and be forced from office before the end of the year.

Yep.

The Canning record is within his sights!
  • Options
    glw said:

He's either dishonest or he's ignorant, either way it's worrying that someone who was in the cabinet, was Foreign Secretary, and wants to be PM should get the basics of leaving the EU so wrong.
    He's not the first though - Blair and Cameron had similar mentalities.

So it seems to be a trait among Oxford posh boys.
  • Options
    If, a big if, Boris becomes PM. It is going to be hilarious watching the ERG turn against him when he messes up.
  • Options

Am I alone in feeling that somehow Boris isn't firing on all cylinders? Not only isn't on top of some really basic questions, but there is a kind of malaise about him.

Well, he did get cold feet last time just because of Gove of all people. But he's worked toward this for bloody ages, I am sure he wants is so very badly. That might be why he is not firing on all cylinders, he knows he is so close now and is slightly wary of cocking up. But he has so much support behind him and top advisers, he may just be waiting for the right moment.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

How can someone on the verge of becoming PM and responsible for Brexit be so ignorant of the basics? It really does not bode well but nobody will be able to say they weren't warned.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Lots of Jeremy Hunt on the telly and the Tories surge past Farage's mob.

Ergo - Hunt is electoral viagra for the Tories, the more he's on telly as PM then the Tories will poll 50% plus soon.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    They still put CHUK in there though. Someone has a sense of humour.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Scott_P said:
    The return of two party politics.....

....gradually.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Ergo - Hunt is electoral viagra for the Tories, the more he's on telly as PM then the Tories will poll 50% plus soon.
    Always good to get your unbiased disinterested views TSE :wink:
  • Options

Believe in Brexit, believe in Boris. BE LEAVE.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    I think a few things are clear by implication

i) Boris hasn't hit Carrie. If it emerges he has then his career will be over pdq - I think if he really was a wife beater it'd have emerged by now.
    ii) Boris doesn't trust Carrie with his laptop for whatever (Could be genuine Natsec?) reason. Probably flirtatious emails to other women would be my guess though; and in character for Boris.
    iii) Carrie probably had had a few too many, sounds like she was doing the screaming,shouting, plate and glass throwing etc... - no wonder Boris didn't want to elaborate, throwing your other half under the bus in a barney taped up by your neighbours would have become the story with no good way out.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

It might have been 30+ years ago.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Simon Heffer now writes for the New Statesman?
    Occasional column on the fuck up that is modern Tory party. It's not all left wingers you know.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Imagine if they hadn't taped it. People on here would be denying Boris had even raised his voice.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

You just did! :lol:
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    OT. A vital election tomorrow with profound implications for democracy in Turkey. The re-run of the Istanbul mayoralty. Polls suggest the opposition CHP candidate stretching his lead to 8%.
    How Erdogan reacts to this will be crucial. Possibly stormy times ahead if he attempts to rig it / ignore it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Expletives exist for a reason - used sparingly, in the right moment, they can punctuate a point very effectively.
    But Dunt uses it all the time
  • Options
    edited June 2019

Scott_P said:

Always good to get your unbiased disinterested views TSE :wink:
    You will be delighted by the morning thread, my fair and impartial analysis on the Tory leadership contest.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

....gradually.
    Looks like a French Presidential election
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Another adult in the room speaks.

There is going to be hell to pay when the membership find out they are buying pure snake oil.
  • Options

He's probably

Scott_P said:

....gradually.
    I think the last one had Lab 33% to Con 28%.
This discussion has been closed.