Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If Team Boris thought thought Hunt would be a pushover then th

Comments

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Hunt is by far the better choice. Hope that there are enough sane Tories left to realise that.

So will you be voting for a Hunt led Tories then?
    Infinitely more likely than Boris. A man with zero integrity, unfit for high office who needs to be stopped.
    So that will still be a no then
    Perhaps your vote is a blank cheque, mine is not. I’ll wait to see what happens. The world is upside down. Hunt is not a complete no. I could not vote for Boris.
    Getting you from 100% anti Tory to 90% anti Tory is irrelevant if the Tories keep losing 2017 Tories to 100% Brexit Party
    You don’t defeat Farage by playing his game. He is a better at it than you. You are supposed to be Conservatives not ideological zealots. Play to your strengths.
    Which in your eyes means picking another Remainer to fail to deliver Brexit again so we can lose gracefully to Corbyn or Farage at the next general election.

Enough of that, I want a leader now who actually believes in Brexit and wants to deliver it and can win
    You are lost. Hunt is competent. Boris is not. If you want Brexit you’re better off with Hunt.
    Why? Hunt's policy is he will competently renegotiate the backstop.

The EU will competently say no.

Hunt will then competently extend Article 50 again rather than leave with No Deal or try for a GB FTA.

Hunt will then competently lead the Tories to be slaughtered by Farage and Corbyn at the next general election as a result
    Boris is intent on chasing unicorns whilst doing a poor pastiche of Churchill. I expect he twist and turn, will likely create chaos and open the door to opponents.

Meanwhile Hunt has a small chance off success, pulling off a John Major style appeal to conservative voters, although possibly not ideological Tories.

That’s my take. Counter intuitive perhaps in the mad world of Trump. But hopefully food for thought.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD's contention is that once Johnson wins, he will be forced to call an election to overall Parliament vetoing no deal. He will then win that election with a majority.

That's where the analysis falls.

On the basis of current polling (based on hypotheticals, so to be taken with buckets of salt), if the Tories go to the country again before delivering Brexit they will be massacred. Scant comfort, but so will Labour.

The "GE to deliver Brexit" has been tried once.....
    No, only if the Tories extend again post October does the polling show the Tories will be massacred.

If the Tories call a general election before October to get a mandate for Brexit Deal or No Deal then they could well win a majority under Boris
    They could but Farige says he’ll run candidates to keep the tories ‘honest’ . Given they can’t run a ground game then all they will do is syphon votes off from the tories letting others through the middle. So bring it on
    Of course they will but under Boris the Brexit Party take fewer votes off the Tories thsn the LDs take off Corbyn Labour
    The UK electoral map is not one homogeneous equation that runs by pre determined logic, especially when you see voting opinions based on hypothetical non elections. Yes you can have a poll showing party x has y% but to then translate that into votes in the ballot box is a fantasy s or in seats that you can win through differential turn out you’ll understand, otherwise at for the only poll that matters.
    If you want to get Tories and Leavers out to vote at the next general election then Boris is the man to do it, not Hunt who will enthuse voters as much as May did in 2017
    Ok then if Johnson is Tory leader they are all going down the polling station to vote Tory because it’s ‘boris’. Good luck with that it’s about as likely as the TBP winning more than ten seats.
    I have heard many voters say they would vote Tory again if Boris was leader when canvassing on the doorsteps, I have yet to hear one saying they would vote Tory again if Hunt was leader
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    tlg86 said:

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD's contention is that once Johnson wins, he will be forced to call an election to overall Parliament vetoing no deal. He will then win that election with a majority.

On the basis of current polling (based on hypotheticals, so to be taken with buckets of salt), if the Tories go to the country again before delivering Brexit they will be massacred. Scant comfort, but so will Labour.

No, only if the Tories extend again post October does the polling show the Tories will be massacred.

If the Tories call a general election before October to get a mandate for Brexit Deal or No Deal then they could well win a majority under Boris
    They could but Farige says he’ll run candidates to keep the tories ‘honest’ . Given they can’t run a ground game then all they will do is syphon votes off from the tories letting others through the middle. So bring it on
    Of course they will but under Boris the Brexit Party take fewer votes off the Tories thsn the LDs take off Corbyn Labour
    I doubt that very much indeed when 'the chips are down'. LD support has tended to lack depth - 'easy come - easy go'. When other issues come to the fore in an election campaign - as I expect them to - the anti-Tory vote will again coalesce around Labour. Moreover , whatever people might say now , it will not be a Brexit election.
    It is striking though, that more people now identify as Remain or Leave than now profess a religion. For some people, being Remain or Leave has become a religion.
    2021 Census could have some interesting entries in the religion field.
    Jedi to be the UK's top religion?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    edited June 2019
    JackW said:

Vinny said:

Hunt comes over as diffident, weak and characterless. He cannot make that up by appearing articulate. Mr Smithson, the job of PM requires personality.

Jeremy Corbyn has personalty too but I'd rather hope we didn't have a clown as Leader of the Opposition and a buffoon as Prime Minster.
    Then I have good news, they will probably switch places and we will have a clown as PM and a buffoon as LotO.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

I doubt that very much indeed when 'the chips are down'. LD support has tended to lack depth - 'easy come - easy go'. When other issues come to the fore in an election campaign - as I expect them to - the anti-Tory vote will again coalesce around Labour. Moreover , whatever people might say now , it will not be a Brexit election.
    It will not be a Brexit election if we actually Brexit before the next general election as both parties promised before the last general election.

If we are still in the EU by the next general election then Brexit will dominate
    If (yes I know) Brexit is half the disaster forecast then the next GE WILL be about Brexit
    We will not Brexit without a GE as the current Commons will likely vote to extend again or revoke rather than deliver Brexit
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

It is striking though, that more people now identify as Remain or Leave than now profess a religion. For some people, being Remain or Leave has become a religion.
    Yes - if people are asked the question - but that does not make Brexit the most salient issue despite its obvious importance. I suspect this particularly applies to Labour voters for most of whom other matters will override.The overwhelming sense that I get as a fellow political anorak is that the electorate at large is thoroughly sick to death of it. The idea that we would spend five or six weeks in an election campaign simply focussing on Brexit is 'for the birds' - voters will be very receptive to other problems being raised.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997
    edited June 2019
    I don't doubt that Boris will be a better vote-getter than Hunt. OTOH, Hunt is a better person. And, Boris might just blow up the party.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208

tlg86 said:

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

I put "Arsène Knows" in 2011. I might go for "Brexit means Brexit" in 2021.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

What is it about opinion polls that the more they are discredited and shown to be largely manipulated guesswork, the more seem to cling to them as the arbiters of the truth.

Most of us discount polls at present as they shift from week to week and prefer to have a more rounded and nuanced view of politics today. Very pleased with Hunt today and my watching lady wife, and voting member, recoiled in horror at Boris theatricals.

So 2 votes for Hunt here
    No surprise there
    And many more will follow. Boris is not the Messiah you think he is. You spent too much time with IDS. You need to broaden your horizons
    I suspect you are right that Hunt over the campaign will make it closer to 60% to 40% than 70% to 30% as it was at the beginning but Boris will still win comfortably.

IDS of course won the Tory membership vote himself in 2001 when he beat Ken Clarke
    And how did that work out
    The Tories improved their poll rating and won more councillors
    Right now you are living your own fantasy to be fair
    He also thinks No deal won't be much of a problem because Johnson will agree a FTA in a couple of months.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Hunt is by far the better choice. Hope that there are enough sane Tories left to realise that.

Infinitely more likely than Boris. A man with zero integrity, unfit for high office who needs to be stopped.
    Perhaps your vote is a blank cheque, mine is not. I’ll wait to see what happens. The world is upside down. Hunt is not a complete no. I could not vote for Boris.
    Getting you from 100% anti Tory to 90% anti Tory is irrelevant if the Tories keep losing 2017 Tories to 100% Brexit Party
    You don’t defeat Farage by playing his game. He is a better at it than you. You are supposed to be Conservatives not ideological zealots. Play to your strengths.
    Which in your eyes means picking another Remainer to fail to deliver Brexit again so we can lose gracefully to Corbyn or Farage at the next general election.

Enough of that, I want a leader now who actually believes in Brexit and wants to deliver it and can win
    You are lost. Hunt is competent. Boris is not. If you want Brexit you’re better off with Hunt.

Hunt will then competently extend Article 50 again rather than leave with No Deal or try for a GB FTA.

Hunt will then competently lead the Tories to be slaughtered by Farage and Corbyn at the next general election as a result
    Boris is intent on chasing unicorns whilst doing a poor pastiche of Churchill. I expect he twist and turn, will likely create chaos and open the door to opponents.

Meanwhile Hunt has a small chance off success, pulling off a John Major style appeal to conservative voters, although possibly not ideological Tories.

That’s my take. Counter intuitive perhaps in the mad world of Trump. But hopefully food for thought.

Hunt may do a Major but more likely Major 1997 than 1992 if he does not deliver Brexit
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

ed.

Were it any other time, or the contest had happened back in December for example, I could see it possible working The extenstion past March has changed the political realities so much, it genuinely caused massive shifts in support, and if they would ever have gone for such an appeal I don't think it is now - they know the situation is desperate and either believe, or hope, that Johnson can provide the oomph factor that will see then exceed expectations. And though I think he's awful, in terms of damage limitation I can see why that would be so.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I don't doubt that Boris will be a better vote-getter than Hunt. OTOH, Hunt is a better person.

Johnson will also be a better vote destroyer, and will engender more anti tactical voting.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kle4 said:

JackW said:

Vinny said:

Hunt comes over as diffident, weak and characterless. He cannot make that up by appearing articulate. Mr Smithson, the job of PM requires personality.

Jeremy Corbyn has personalty too but I'd rather hope we didn't have a clown as Leader of the Opposition and a buffoon as Prime Minster.
    Then I have good news, they will probably switch places and we will have a clown as PM and a buffoon as LotO.
    I’m sorry but that leaves me totally confused, or is it that no matter what it’s a buffoonish clown who is PM.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Sean_F said:

I don't doubt that Boris will be a better vote-getter than Hunt. OTOH, Hunt is a better person.

May is a moral, good person, that did not enable her to win a general election though did it
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,027
    HYUFD said:

Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Trump did too, did not stop him

Trump has countless millions inherited from daddy he used to tie them into confidentiality agreements. The tabloids published his one with Ivana years ago iirc.
    Trump was accused of sexual assault and of rape, he still won
    As was Clinton (Bill, not Hillary), or at least sexual harassment.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

The UK electoral map is not one homogeneous equation that runs by pre determined logic, especially when you see voting opinions based on hypothetical non elections. Yes you can have a poll showing party x has y% but to then translate that into votes in the ballot box is a fantasy s or in seats that you can win through differential turn out you’ll understand, otherwise at for the only poll that matters.
    If you want to get Tories and Leavers out to vote at the next general election then Boris is the man to do it, not Hunt who will enthuse voters as much as May did in 2017
    Ok then if Johnson is Tory leader they are all going down the polling station to vote Tory because it’s ‘boris’. Good luck with that it’s about as likely as the TBP winning more than ten seats.
    I have heard many voters say they would vote Tory again if Boris was leader when canvassing on the doorsteps, I have yet to hear one saying they would vote Tory again if Hunt was leader
    Boris is the Heineken of politicians , he reaches voters others cannot reach . Love him or loathe him he is a vote winner
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994

tlg86 said:

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

And only two Sith, if the Statistics Authority are doing things properly.
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

What is it about opinion polls that the more they are discredited and shown to be largely manipulated guesswork, the more seem to cling to them as the arbiters of the truth.

Most of us discount polls at present as they shift from week to week and prefer to have a more rounded and nuanced view of politics today. Very pleased with Hunt today and my watching lady wife, and voting member, recoiled in horror at Boris theatricals.

So 2 votes for Hunt here
    No surprise there
    And many more will follow. Boris is not the Messiah you think he is. You spent too much time with IDS. You need to broaden your horizons
    I suspect you are right that Hunt over the campaign will make it closer to 60% to 40% than 70% to 30% as it was at the beginning but Boris will still win comfortably.

IDS of course won the Tory membership vote himself in 2001 when he beat Ken Clarke
    He also thinks No deal won't be much of a problem because Johnson will agree a FTA in a couple of months.
    If Boris wins a majority he can do a FTA for GB and let Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop without the DUP blocking him
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Boris is the Heineken of politicians , he reaches voters others cannot reach . Love him or loathe him he is a vote winner
    Agreed
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Trump has countless millions inherited from daddy he used to tie them into confidentiality agreements. The tabloids published his one with Ivana years ago iirc.
    Yes and Bill had charisma, Hillary did not
  • Options

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

So 2 votes for Hunt here
    No surprise there
    Boris is indeed not the messiah, nor even the destined best Tory leader since Thatcher that HYUFD is already convinced hte will be. But the more staid, competent appeal of a May or Hunt is not guaranteed to work either, particularly not in very unusual times. I'd be a lot more comfortable if the Tories went with Hunt, but does he really have any better a plan than Boris? And if he doesn't, who is best for the party in a fallback position of GE? (better it be about the country, but obviously the drivers of any political party think the two are one and the same)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

So 2 votes for Hunt here
    No surprise there

If Boris wins a majority he can do a FTA for GB and let Northern Ireland voters decide on the backstop without the DUP blocking him
    Am i right on the timescale, or might it take a bit longer than that?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

kle4 said:

JackW said:

Vinny said:

I’m sorry but that leaves me totally confused, or is it that no matter what it’s a buffoonish clown who is PM.
    Well yes, but it was really just to suggest that I think Corbyn will be PM and Boris LotO before too long.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

My wife is not very interested in politics, she thought Theresa May was doing her best and was being undermined by scheming men who refused to see that they could not have the perfect Brexit they wanted. But when it comes to Bojo she is in no doubt - how could a man who treats women like thats possibly be put forward as PM? He disgusts me. Even Corbyn would be better.

I suspect that she is not alone in holding this view.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

May is a moral, good person, that did not enable her to win a general election though did it
    May has often had a compulsive aversion to telling the truth - but is clearly not disreputable and amoral as a human being in the way that Boris shows every sign of being.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

So 2 votes for Hunt here
    No surprise there

How big a majority does he need, considering it would be very optimistic to assume all Tories wil back him on that, even if they promise they will follow the plan in order to be reselected for a snap GE.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,181
    We will all get excited about the Tory leadership election for the next four weeks. But does it really matter?
    There is still no solution to Brexit that is simultaneously negotiable with the EU, able to command a majority in parliament, and doesn't split the Tory party in half. So a general election is more or less inevitable.
    I can't see that either of these men can win that election since there is no majority in the country for their likely solution to Brexit, and they have nothing appealing to say on any other issues. The only difference is that Hunt would face a BXP-Labour pincer movement while Johnson would force a straight no deal vs referendum choice, in which Labour would support a second referendum and win.
    They really are fucked.
  • Options
    edited June 2019

HYUFD said:

I think Hunt comes across as PM material.

Boris on the other hand is like a CH4 Big brother winner.

I cannot believe Boris is even being considered as PM. He is a joke with no strategy, policies or ideas. I think Tories will be in for a negative shock if they think Boris will save them....

Hunt is Mitt Romney ie a smooth cold fish CEO who looks on paper like the ideal candidate but likely loses the next general election.

Boris is Trump ie the charismatic populist the liberal left establishment hates but might actually win the next general election
    I came back from Tokyo ANA peasant class at Easter. In the window seats in front and to the right of me was a Jeremy Hunt and his wife, in front of them were their children. Hunt seemed a normal, family guy. He will come over as decent and trustworthy, despite his tendency to pander to his audience.

Johnson if he couldn't swing an RAF freebie, he would surely get The Telegraph to bump him up to the front. Man of the people he is not, the more he is tested the more he will be found wanting. His chaotic personal life is important too because it mirrors his behaviour in office.

I find it surprising given his wealth he didn't come back business class.
    Self-made. Doesn't need the ego boost.

I was interviewed by one of the guys who founded a [redacted public opinion research house]. We were discussing the criteria people use when deciding to buy stuff. In one of my interview questions the question about purchasing toilet paper came up (the beer and pampers anecdote is a myth, incidentally) and he wanted to know why I refused to buy high-quality premium toilet paper. I pointed out that I was born piss-poor and I was b******d if I was going to spend that much money wiping my arse. He said "Me too".

To prevent this appearing in r/thathappened, I need to point out I didn't get the job... :(
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,849
    kjohnw said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Boris is the Heineken of politicians...
    Gassy crap that had its best years a couple of decades ago ?
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

If you had actually bothered to read a word I wrote on the last thread which again clearly you have not, you would have read I said the Sun would likely stay neutral in the leadership race but endorse the Tories whichever of Boris or Hunt wins provided they deliver Brexit. If they do not and extend again the Sun may even endorse Farage and the Brexit Party
    Do you have contacts on the Sun's editorial board?
    I do.

Well one current member and the former editor of thesun.co.uk

But as the Queen told me, she hates name droppers.
    Does David Roe still post on this site ?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Sean_F said:

No doubt the person who contacted the Guardian is a remainer and Tory hater but nevertheless post Midnight council estate style screaming matches make a certain type of country Tory uncomfortable. Hunt I reckon gained 5 points today.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD's contention is win that election with a majority.

The matters.
    I have heard ory again if Hunt was leader
    My wife is not very interested in politics, she thought Theresa May was doing her best and was being undermined by scheming men who refused to see that they could not have the perfect Brexit they wanted. But when it comes to Bojo she is in no doubt - how could a man who treats women like thats possibly be put forward as PM? He disgusts me. Even Corbyn would be better.

I suspect that she is not alone in holding this view.
    It will be an interesting match up. Far from the views of his adoring hordes (perhaps slightly less adoring than they used to be) Corbyn has plenty of things to be heavily criticised over, but if you don't see his occasional petulant outbursts at the media for example, he projects an air of calm, politeness and good manners. The contrast with Boris doing his best Trump impression, with added latin, will be stark, and it will be interesting to see what the last few years have done with regards the anti-corbyn factor.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

Brexit, if it were done today.

By 2021, there’ll be mainly apostates.

• Options
    Well I suppose we are using the time up well before the next deadline determining what the country can unite around and will command a majority in the HOC. Yet to see a single realistic solution that can be delivered within the time constraints. If people think no deal is a solution .....

You are welcome to it but at least have the decency to stay and sort it out.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Ahem. I would not claim them as incredibly accurate, but there is more to them than "guesswork", and the "largely manipulated" bit is a subjective way of putting it.
  • Options
    In the unlikely event that Hunt did win the Tory leadership, then that in itself would suggest that his electoral appeal is greater than some are assuming.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

I cannot believe Boris is even being considered as PM. He is a joke with no strategy, policies or ideas. I think Tories will be in for a negative shock if they think Boris will save them....

Hunt is Mitt Romney ie a smooth cold fish CEO who looks on paper like the ideal candidate but likely loses the next general election.

Boris is Trump ie the charismatic populist the liberal left establishment hates but might actually win the next general election
    I came back from Tokyo ANA peasant class at Easter. In the window seats in front and to the right of me was a Jeremy Hunt and his wife, in front of them were their children. Hunt seemed a normal, family guy. He will come over as decent and trustworthy, despite his tendency to pander to his audience.

Johnson if he couldn't swing an RAF freebie, he would surely get The Telegraph to bump him up to the front. Man of the people he is not, the more he is tested the more he will be found wanting. His chaotic personal life is important too because it mirrors his behaviour in office.

I was interviewed by one of the guys who founded a [redacted public opinion research house]. We were discussing the criteria people use when deciding to buy stuff. In one of my interview questions the question about purchasing toilet paper came up (the beer and pampers anecdote is a myth, incidentally) and he wanted to know why I refused to buy high-quality premium toilet paper. I pointed out that I was born piss-poor and I was b******d if I was going to spend that much money wiping my arse. He said "Me too".

To prevent this appearing in r/thathappened, I need to point out I didn't get the job... :(
    Fun story. I sometimes like to reflect why I am willing to spend money on some things and not others, it is probably an interesting field to consider.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

I don't know what you mean, I always backed remain and any thousands of posts that indicate otherwise are a filthy piece of fake news :)
  • Options
    Vinny said:

I agree that Boris is "characterful", but to present him as decisive and strong is difficult to believe. His life history is full of indecision and weakness.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

We will all get excited about the Tory leadership election for the next four weeks. But does it really matter?
    There is still no solution to Brexit that is simultaneously negotiable with the EU, able to command a majority in parliament, and doesn't split the Tory party in half. So a general election is more or less inevitable.
    I can't see that either of these men can win that election since there is no majority in the country for their likely solution to Brexit, and they have nothing appealing to say on any other issues. The only difference is that Hunt would face a BXP-Labour pincer movement while Johnson would force a straight no deal vs referendum choice, in which Labour would support a second referendum and win.
    They really are fucked.

An election under these conditions would be absolutely mental. I don't think anyone could say with any confidence who would win it, but the leader could make a *lot* of difference.

Also if the Tory Party splits then it matters a lot who gets which half.

So yes, it matters.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Fun story. I sometimes like to reflect why I am willing to spend money on some things and not others, it is probably an interesting field to consider.
    Who needs toilet paper when you can use discarded copies of the sun mail and express
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445
    Excellent header. Totally agree. Hunt has surprised today on the upside. An adult in the room.

There will be the tiny whiff of panic in Boris HQ tonight.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

I don't know what you mean, I always backed remain and any thousands of posts that indicate otherwise are a filthy piece of fake news :)
    There is greater joy in heaven....

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    UK, YouGov poll:

Wales independence referendum

Pro independence: 41% (+8)
    Against independence: 59% (-8)

This excludes 29% (+2) undecided.

Fieldwork: 10-15 May 2019
    Sample size: 1,133
  • Options
    Broadcasters better get practicing saying Hunt's name. :smiley:

And I think we have something to fear with TSE's relentless reminders of his bet. :p
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

Andrew said:

HYUFD said:

Yes and Bill had charisma, Hillary did not
    D'y'know, the older I get, the more I think that is a good point. Charisma really does count. I don't know if it's sufficient, but I'm pretty sure it's close to necessary. Steve Richards pointed out that at heart Thatcher was a teacher, and this lay behind her success: she wouldn't stop until her interlocutor had gotten the point. He also pointed out that Wilson was invigorated by debate, and Blair did the masochism strategy. Success as a politician relies in getting people to agree with you, and charisma is a big part of that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It will be an interesting match up. Far from the views of his adoring hordes (perhaps slightly less adoring than they used to be) Corbyn has plenty of things to be heavily criticised over, but if you don't see his occasional petulant outbursts at the media for example, he projects an air of calm, politeness and good manners. The contrast with Boris doing his best Trump impression, with added latin, will be stark, and it will be interesting to see what the last few years have done with regards the anti-corbyn factor.

Corbyn has many weaknesses but as a person he seems pretty run of the mill, he doesn't come over as a user and he clearly hasn't dedicated his whole life to personal advancement.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Can you 'leak' a "row tape" that you made yourself?
  • Options
    Had WI one more batsman with the level headedness of Carlos Brathwaite, they’d have walked this match.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

I think that is an extremely complacent attitude indeed. I was a member until Ed left as leader and I will not be voting Labour again while Corbyn is there. Even if he panics and offers a second referendum late in the day who is going to believe he would actually deliver it?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

God, you're not kidding:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_test_theory
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Item_response_theory

And those are just the ones I know of... :(
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

UK, YouGov poll:

Clearly driven by a desire to leave the EU. ;)
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Pulpstar said:

UK, YouGov poll:

A interesting question for pollsters is, if Scotland has left, would you support Wales becoming independent or would you wish to stay in the Union with England?

Once Scotland has gone, then Wales will go within the next decade.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited June 2019
    More allegations of Johnson and Steve Bannon being in close contact and the latter helping him write his resignation speech last year .

At this rate Labour and the rest will have an impossible job deciding what material to use in the next GE campaign .
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Had WI one more batsman with the level headedness of Carlos Brathwaite, they’d have walked this match.

EPIC.
  • Options
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

So 2 votes for Hunt here
    No surprise there

You really think the people of England, Scotland and Wales will be happy to see Northern Ireland have another referendum and not be allowed to vote themselves?
  • Options
    Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

So 2 votes for Hunt here
    No surprise there

You really think the people of England, Scotland and Wales will be happy to see Northern Ireland have another referendum and not be allowed to vote themselves?
    It is technically defendable in a situation where parliament has essentially approved it subject to confirmation on one technical point, but it would not be an easy sell to MPs for the reason you give.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, this ticking bomb lies at Boris's feet:

https://twitter.com/johnharris1969/status/1142513628593184768
  • Options
    nico67 said:

More allegations of Johnson and Steve Bannon being in close contact and the latter helping him write his resignation speech last year .

At this rate Labour and the rest will have an impossible job deciding what material to use in the next GE campaign .

Link?
  • Options

nico67 said:

Link?
    Maybe those were the allegations. :D
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Seems a bit of an overreaction. Back to normal soon, probably.

After all, we need to 'get it done' as Boris said, what more does one need to know?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Exactly, you can't be more Farage than Farage himself. It doesn't matter how extreme a Brexit Boris proposes, Farage will say it's effectively remaining and move the goalposts.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

EPIC.
    But not enough.
    Over and out for the West Indies.

• Options

nico67 said:

Link?
    I’m on iPad but it’s in the Guardian and they have a tape of Bannon bigging up his contacts with Bozo .
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The question is "is this momentum or is this a bounce"

My gut feel is it is a bou ce and take another poll in two days and Boris will be back to the first poll values.
  • Options
    Try untangling 700 years of association!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    nico67 said:

And it will all stick like all that stuff on Corbyn and the trots........
  • Options
    Alistair said:

My gut feel is it is a bou ce and take another poll in two days and Boris will be back to the first poll values.
    Nah the big part is that Boris is absolubtely miles ahead with the actual electorate that will be allowed to vote.
  • Options
    Did 1999 not happen? I thought they had their own government these days.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Pulpstar said:

UK, YouGov poll:

A interesting question for pollsters is, if Scotland has left, would you support Wales becoming independent or would you wish to stay in the Union with England?

Which currency will you use?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

alex. said:

I think that is an extremely complacent attitude indeed. I was a member until Ed left as leader and I will not be voting Labour again while Corbyn is there. Even if he panics and offers a second referendum late in the day who is going to believe he would actually deliver it?
    I assume then that you did not vote Labour in 2017 when it polled 40%.
  • Options
    Floater said:

nico67 said:

Corbyns not a Trump poodle and wouldn’t be hanging around with pond scum like Bannon . And I’m not a Corbyn fan but Bannon is a vile white nationalist .
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Depends - there's lots of old material on Boris's relationships that is not as widely known about as political anoraks assume. That could keep the momentum going.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Floater said:

nico67 said:

Corbyns not a Trump poodle and wouldn’t be hanging around with pond scum like Bannon . And I’m not a Corbyn fan but Bannon is a vile white nationalist .
    No, he just hangs around with pond scum like the Gerry Adams :p
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    edited June 2019
    Just your average neighbours who flick two fingers up in your the face, boast about it on Twitter, send hate mail then tape record your arguments and send them to The Guardian

Not a shred of evidence they were anything to do with it though 🙄
  • Options
    Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

UK, YouGov poll:

There are arguments about the true Scottish financial position within the UK. There are no such arguments in Wales...
  • Options
    alex. said:

Alistair said:

Depends - there's lots of old material on Boris's relationships that is not as widely known about as political anoraks assume. That could keep the momentum going.
    Problem is the selectorate definitely know he is the only original Leaver still in the race, and is being far more bold in saying how we must definitely leave by X (even if that is not necessarily the plan). For someone who finds out only now about his various shananigans, they may well disapprove heartily, but as the timing makes it clearly designed to stop Boris becoming PM, and this presumably prevent what he (and they) want, and given how popular he starts out as, how many would hold their noses?
  • Options
    isam said:

Just your average neighbours who flick two fingers up in your the face, boast about it on Twitter, send hate mail then tape record your arguments and send them to The Guardian

Their interview was bizarre. Started off with concern about neighbours' safety - which was fair enough, then got on to how they voted in the referendum !
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Because he doesn't want to fling his squeeze under a bus ?

This isn't rocket science.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Now that is bad. The Express? Wow!

This is a pukka Boris wobble moment.
  • Options
    isam said:

Not a shred of evidence they were anything to do with it though 🙄

Sad.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Scott_P said:
    Of course he is. So many skeletons, so much opportunity for leverage. Hell we can't even get a straight answer about how many children he has.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Floater said:

nico67 said:

There are few MPs less qualified to be PM than Corbyn. But Johnson is one of them.
  • Options
    Hunt dipping. Now at 5.9
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Boris haters gonna hate.

• Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

Link?
    I’m on iPad but it’s in the Guardian and they have a tape of Bannon bigging up his contacts with Bozo .
    Thanks. Doesn't surprise me. Although I suspect it is Bannon bigging himself up rather than Boris.
  • Options

Boris haters gonna hate.

And Corbyn haters also gonna hate.

Doesnt' mean all the hate is unjustified.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Newspapers, like bettors want a horse race. More interest.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Floater said:

Pulpstar said:

UK, YouGov poll:

A Welsh currency? ... easy - The Kinnock - 100 Windbags = 1 Kinnock
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Scott_P said:
    I can see some Labour chuckles occurring tonight - Boris is getting the Corbyn treatment, with the 'security risk' stories and all.

Surely the 'Hunt allies' bit is bad for Hunt though? Obviously the pair will attack each other, Hunt more than Boris because he is bringing up the rear in this contest, but that strong an attack would, I think, infuriate many Tory members.
This discussion has been closed.