Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there are UK Euro elections in May Farage’s new Brexit part

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    Scott_P said:
    Delayed due to Leavers on the Line...
  • Options
    Floater said:

Dadge said:

Even though Chris Grayling is 5x as stupid as Diane Abbott, he doesn't receive the same level of stick from the public. Three possible reasons for this are 1. most people wouldn't recognise him if they met him, 2. press go much harder on lefties, and 3. he's a bloke. Any others?

Point of order - I am not sure it is possible to be 5 x more stupid than Abbott
    According to her maths it is!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,298
    edited March 2019
    Sheffield Hallam CLP calling Williamson suspension a witchhunt and wanting him re-instated and apparently many more CLP following.

Lucianna Berger being interviewed on Sky saying a member of the shadow cabinet was present at Hackney CLP that passed demands for Williamson to be re-instated and did not object.

How soon before labour split. It cannot be long
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Anorak said:

Dadge said:

Even though Chris Grayling is 5x as stupid as Diane Abbott, he doesn't receive the same level of stick from the public. Three possible reasons for this are 1. most people wouldn't recognise him if they met him, 2. press go much harder on lefties, and 3. he's a bloke. Any others?

I think he's better than Abbott at media interviews and that counts for a lot with people in the media.
    I also think that right now, and ever since the ferry-company-with-no-ferries thing, he's been getting a LOT more stick than Jezza's ex.
    There can't be many Transport Secretaries who have been as well known.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Being serious, there are clearly many people in the Labour party (whether it is a tiny minority, minority or majority) who appear to believe Tom Watson is actively seeking to bring down Jeremy Corbyn and anyone who supports him. The question for me is what does Corbyn make of that and what does he do? He cannot very well 'encourage' through inaction more MPs to jump ship, purity is all very well but he's been leader long enough to know he cannot afford to constantly be driving off MPs. So how does he win this fight? The members are probably on his side, but how does he bring that further to bear on Watson? Or does he not think Watson is after him at all?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2019
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    Floater said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

FPT for Floater

Floater said:

» show previous quotes
    Nice Avatar pic Malc - is it new or have I not being paying attention?

Been there a while now. I got my grandson one of these painted in the TIKI colours etc, very nice. Also got him this one recently.
    https://www.rctank.de/New-Panther-F-metal-edition-with-Taigen-BB-shoot-unit-metal-lower-hull-and-turret-steel-41-gearboxes

In the latter half of WWII, the Germans came up with phenomenal tank designs but (for various different reasons) could not make them reliable nor in sufficient numbers. As a result there were not many Tigers, King Tigers, Panthers et al. This means that individual tanks can be identified.

Your tank is Tiger 812 (nicknamed "Tiki") of the 8/SSPzRgt 2, a regiment better known as "Das Reich". This bunch of murderous bastards were immortalised in Max Hastings' book also called "Das Reich", which detailed their attempts to make it from their posting to the Normandy beaches to help repel D-Day. Their route was crucially delayed by Allied bombing, British special forces, and the French Resistance, some of whom died hideous deaths in their efforts to halt the German advance, including the Oradour-sur-Glane massacre.

http://forum-console.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/185157-tiger-812-tiki/
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16115490-das-reich
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oradour-sur-Glane_massacre
    Thanks for links , I have bought the book.
    I have read the Das Reich book and been to the site - unbelievable really.

Marching people down the street with their nooses and stopping at each lamp post if I recall........

A number of the 'German' troops were in fact from Alsace Lorraine were they not?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Floater said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

FPT for Floater

Floater said:

» show previous quotes

Been there a while now. I got my grandson one of these painted in the TIKI colours etc, very nice. Also got him this one recently.
    https://www.rctank.de/New-Panther-F-metal-edition-with-Taigen-BB-shoot-unit-metal-lower-hull-and-turret-steel-41-gearboxes

In the latter half of WWII, the Germans came up with phenomenal tank designs but (for various different reasons) could not make them reliable nor in sufficient numbers. As a result there were not many Tigers, King Tigers, Panthers et al. This means that individual tanks can be identified.

Your tank is Tiger 812 (nicknamed "Tiki") of the 8/SSPzRgt 2, a regiment better known as "Das Reich". This bunch of murderous bastards were immortalised in Max Hastings' book also called "Das Reich", which detailed their attempts to make it from their posting to the Normandy beaches to help repel D-Day. Their route was crucially delayed by Allied bombing, British special forces, and the French Resistance, some of whom died hideous deaths in their efforts to halt the German advance, including the Oradour-sur-Glane massacre.

Marching people down the street with their nooses and stopping at each lamp post if I recall........

Just bought the book too
  • Options

Sheffield Hallam CLP calling Williamson suspension a witchhunt and wanting him re-instated and apparently many more CLP following.

Lucianna Berger being interviewed on Sky saying a member of the shadow cabinet was present at Hackney CLP that passed demands for Williamson to be re-instated and did not object.

The split was nearly two weeks ago.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    notme2 said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

It's always curious that whenever someone in Labour is seen eating out, the cost of it gets publicised. What do they think Labour people should do - forage from bins? The fixation of the Right with everything relating to costs and status shows the class war is far from dead.

We saw this with the snide comments about the TIG dinner at Nando's as well.

Didn’t George Osborne getting Byron Burgers delivered to no 11 cause a story? With his luxury £11 burger that only a rich public school Tory Toff would spend £11 on a burger narrative.
    By coincidence, I had a Byron burger for lunch (it was a bit of a heavy night last night). It was only £8.95.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Being serious, there are clearly many people in the Labour party (whether it is a tiny minority, minority or majority) who appear to believe Tom Watson is actively seeking to bring down Jeremy Corbyn and anyone who supports him. The question for me is what does Corbyn make of that and what does he do? He cannot very well 'encourage' through inaction more MPs to jump ship, purity is all very well but he's been leader long enough to know he cannot afford to constantly be driving off MPs. So how does he win this fight? The members are probably on his side, but how does he bring that further to bear on Watson? Or does he not think Watson is after him at all?

My response - is he able to think at all !!!!
  • Options

They have split. Whether more can be pushed over their personal limit remains to be seen, but having weathered the temptations of the Tiggers for a week and having achieved the dream of campaigning for Remain again that many regard as their biggest priority, how many more are feeling more comfortable in sticking it out and fighting for the party rather than giving up?
  • Options

To a lot of people, the 80s was a period of increasing national self-confidence and swagger.

That is not how I remember the 80s at all.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

notme2 said:

stodge said:

It's always curious that whenever someone in Labour is seen eating out, the cost of it gets publicised. What do they think Labour people should do - forage from bins? The fixation of the Right with everything relating to costs and status shows the class war is far from dead.

Didn’t George Osborne getting Byron Burgers delivered to no 11 cause a story? With his luxury £11 burger that only a rich public school Tory Toff would spend £11 on a burger narrative.
    I'm sure I've spent only a few quid less than that on a burger from Burger King, which is hardly fine dining*.

£48 for a steak is a bit more outside of my usual but I assume London prices are playing a factor there.

Edit: *Actually I take this back it's delicious just not posh.
    Rubbish. A sirloin steak at Hawksmoor Knightsbridge is only £31!

£48 is astronomical even for down here. Also, S&W is slightly naff. As @Floater says, the only possible reason for their dining there is that it is very often empty, even on Thirsty Thursday.

Good place to plot...
  • Options

The start yes but 170 labour mps need to join TIG in one single move.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    notme2 said:

Scott_P said:
    What the metropolitan elite call a diverse and representative group:

“Our team is diverse and drawn from different backgrounds, including a former teacher, social worker, lecturer, entrepreneur, solicitor and GP," “
    Seems diverse for me. Sure trumps 8 former lawyers or PPE career politicians.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

They have split. Whether more can be pushed over their personal limit remains to be seen, but having weathered the temptations of the Tiggers for a week and having achieved the dream of campaigning for Remain again that many regard as their biggest priority, how many more are feeling more comfortable in sticking it out and fighting for the party rather than giving up?
    The intensity today of Lucianna on Sky and the toxic nature of Corbyn and his cabal must see more leave. It does not stop them acting as MPs and voting as they wish
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

The only way of leaving is by accepting it's worse than Remaining, which is what I think Lilico intended to write. That's why a bunch of the more aware voted Remain. It's better than Leave.
    Remain Now may be better than Leave Now. But what about the future?

We have no crystal ball. What we can see is that the EU has many fundamental problems as they try to forge an ever closer union. They may be able to pull together amicably or they may require force (economic or military) to build it. Human history strongly suggests the latter - either to forge it (as per the US Civil War) or prevent its breakup (Yugoslavia). Personally I want no part of that.
    Don't forget our own history of forming a union. Which makes it more amusing to me that Nationalists are so pro-EU.
    That the one that was done by 12 Tory chancers for money and has led to the people being ripped off for 300 years.
    Selling your nation for a bit of money?

Seems like Ireland's motivation to be in the EU.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

FPT for Floater

Floater said:

» show previous quotes

A number of the 'German' troops were in fact from Alsace Lorraine were they not?
    That I cannot remember - but still changes nothing as regards the inhumanity and barbarism
  • Options

That was Abbott
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Delayed due to Leavers on the Line...
    Now that was actually funny!
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

kle4 said:

Corbyn only thinks in platitudes and the clichés of the Sixth Form College left wing bore. Other than IDS, it is difficult to recall a LoTO who comes close to him in terms of low intellect.
  • Options
    Floater said:

That was Abbott
    Really. Wow, labour has a real problem
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2019
    notme2 said:

stodge said:

That had to be one of the most ridiculous outrage stories of the past few years. Byron Burger isn't even that expensive (nor that amazing). Its just yet another of a million burger chains.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Corbyn only thinks in platitudes and the clichés of the Sixth Form College left wing bore. Other than IDS, it is difficult to recall a LoTO who comes close to him in terms of low intellect.
    He is in a league of his own way below anyone
  • Options

I think that's setting the bar a bit too high. If enough Labour MPs join TIG so that it becomes the Official Opposition that would be something. That would take another 115 or so MPs, depending on how many further defections there are from the Tories. Also, if the defections take place in stages over a few months I don't think that will be a problem.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

The only way of leaving is by accepting it's worse than Remaining, which is what I think Lilico intended to write. That's why a bunch of the more aware voted Remain. It's better than Leave.

We have no crystal ball. What we can see is that the EU has many fundamental problems as they try to forge an ever closer union. They may be able to pull together amicably or they may require force (economic or military) to build it. Human history strongly suggests the latter - either to forge it (as per the US Civil War) or prevent its breakup (Yugoslavia). Personally I want no part of that.
    Don't forget our own history of forming a union. Which makes it more amusing to me that Nationalists are so pro-EU.
    That the one that was done by 12 Tory chancers for money and has led to the people being ripped off for 300 years.

You really are an offensive little toe rag. Go and iron your blackshirt, or shine up your jackboots so you can continue to sell your country down the river to Vladimir Putin and Donald Trump
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

FPT for Floater

Floater said:

» show previous quotes

That I cannot remember - but still changes nothing as regards the inhumanity and barbarism
    I'd read it somewhere and checked with Wikipedia, where it's quoted. I've not read Das Reich, but if it suggests the 'marching of people down the streets etc', it doesn't square with the reports of Oradour.
    That's not to be read as whitewashing Oradour which was incredibly hideous and brutal.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

FPT for Floater

Floater said:

» show previous quotes

Didn't the Germans at the time consider any native-German speakers to be German, regardless of nationality? The Belgian German-speakers were certainly recruited into the military as Germans.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

notme2 said:

stodge said:

That had to be one of the most ridiculous outrage stories of the past few years. Byron Burger isn't even that expensive (nor that amazing). Its just yet another of a million burger chains.
    please sir, Osborne on the train, with the reporters all waiting at Euston, that one.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

I don't think as dreadful as Grayling is that he is worse, let alone 5x worse, than Abbott. The difference is that Grayling is in power so has more chance to f**k things up. Abbott is powerless and just has her easily quoted words to mess up with.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    kle4 said:

Personally I'd probably want to strike back. I suspect Corbyn isn't as up for fighting, a common complaint among his supporters but I can understand it, it is probably more sensible.

My guess is cooperate when Watson is being reasonable or things the leadership is happy enough with and pretty much ignore him when not.

• Options

Floater said:

That was Abbott
    Really. Wow, labour has a real problem
    No shit Sherlock :-)

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/jewish-labour-members-in-tears-diane-abbott-s-local-party-passes-motion-questioning-instituti-1.480825
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

FPT for Floater

Floater said:

» show previous quotes

Didn't the Germans at the time consider any native-German speakers to be German, regardless of nationality? The Belgian German-speakers were certainly recruited into the military as Germans.
    Alsace-Lorraine has always been somewhere switched between whichever side won last!
  • Options

kle4 said:

He is in a league of his own way below anyone
    Perhaps Comic Relief could do a kind of reverse Child Genius competition where Corbyn and IDS thrash it out to see who is the most stupid. It could be called Adult Dunce.
  • Options

Floater said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

FPT for Floater

Floater said:

» show previous quotes

I'd read it somewhere and checked with Wikipedia, where it's quoted. I've not read Das Reich, but if it suggests the 'marching of people down the streets etc', it doesn't square with the reports of Oradour.
    That's not to be read as whitewashing Oradour which was incredibly hideous and brutal.
    Sorry - I should have been clearer - I think I read that in the book but there were other incidents and that might not have been in Oradour
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    There's just an announcement on BBC Radio that Jaguar Land Rover are making a major investment in GB manufacturing.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

Ireland's motivation for remaining in the EU is to prevent themselves being screwed by us for another 800 years or so.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Personally I'd probably want to strike back. I suspect Corbyn isn't as up for fighting, a common complaint among his supporters but I can understand it, it is probably more sensible.

My guess is cooperate when Watson is being reasonable or things the leadership is happy enough with and pretty much ignore him when not.

Or perhaps Corbyn is just a coward, or stupid, or both. Either way he is likely to come off worse against Watson because whatever Watson is, he is neither of those things.
  • Options

I think that's setting the bar a bit too high. If enough Labour MPs join TIG so that it becomes the Official Opposition that would be something. That would take another 115 or so MPs, depending on how many further defections there are from the Tories. Also, if the defections take place in stages over a few months I don't think that will be a problem.
    The problem is whilst Labour do have a decent number of centrists MPs they are not 50% of the party. Of the original 7 leavers 5 nominated Liz Kendall for the leadership, which is fine there's nothing wrong with Liz but they come from an ideological position in the Labour party which does not stretch across the majority of the party.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Dadge said:

I don't think as dreadful as Grayling is that he is worse, let alone 5x worse, than Abbott. The difference is that Grayling is in power so has more chance to f**k things up. Abbott is powerless and just has her easily quoted words to mess up with.
    Yet Grayling has a shedload of presumably experienced officials advising him, yet still staggers from one disaster to another. Whereas Abbott is pretty much on her own.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

Ireland's motivation for remaining in the EU is to prevent themselves being screwed by us for another 800 years or so.
    ..and nasty little jingoistic English nationalist pipsqueeks like Philip_Thompson
  • Options

The problem is whilst Labour do have a decent number of centrists MPs they are not 50% of the party. Of the original 7 leavers 5 nominated Liz Kendall for the leadership, which is fine there's nothing wrong with Liz but they come from an ideological position in the Labour party which does not stretch across the majority of the party.
    How many labour mps voted against Corbyn in the vonc
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

There's just an announcement on BBC Radio that Jaguar Land Rover are making a major investment in GB manufacturing.

My bet EV production. In Coventry.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "UK must hold EU polls if Brexit delayed beyond May, says Bundestag" (£)

https://www.ft.com/content/8642139e-3c04-11e9-b856-5404d3811663
  • Options

But it does stretch across Labour's voters. Party memberships for both Labour and Tory now represent the mouldy concentrated scum at the bottom of the old unwashed teacup. They are caricatures of the parties they represent, as most of the decent moderates have left them to the thugs and nutters .
  • Options

It may be easier to recall the number that did vote for the smug little thicko
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Fairy nuff. Another fine mess we've got ourselves into. Candidates from, Right to Left, UKIP, , Brexit Party, Tory, TIGger, LD (although the last two might, I suppose, be combined) Labour.

Fun, fun, fun!
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Fairy nuff. Another fine mess we've got ourselves into. Candidates from, Right to Left, UKIP, , Brexit Party, Tory, TIGger, LD (although the last two might, I suppose, be combined) Labour.

Fun, fun, fun!
    It will be the first time I have canvassed in a Euro election, and the first time I have not canvassed for the Tories. Cant wait!
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    It will be the first time I have canvassed in a Euro election, and the first time I have not canvassed for the Tories. Cant wait!
    Third for me, although last time was leafletting in the local market place.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Reminds me of when I used to hear Glaswegian taxi drivers say, "I don't hate the English but...."
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

..and nasty little jingoistic English nationalist pipsqueeks like Philip_Thompson
    MODERATORS

Can we hope for a time when you decide the site is better of without this poster's content-free venom? He has never said anything remotely interesting or entertaining or insightful or counter intuitive (see his posts on this thread). If I come here and find he is posting I go away again. I doubt it's just me that does that.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    Third for me, although last time was leafletting in the local market place.
    I may have to leaflet after dark!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    MTimT said:

That, indeed, is Trump's biggest failing - not to realize that politics is way more complex than business, so much so that, for the most part, entirely different strategies and tactics are required (for which he is impressively ill-equipped).

And conversely and perversely perhaps his biggest plus in the eyes of his base.

All of those years on The Apprentice being beamed into the living rooms of the ignorami as the very embodiment of the tough but fair alpha male with the common touch who takes no crap and gets results. The drip drip impact of that is not to be underestimated.

Thank god our version only has Lord Sugar.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

MODERATORS

Can we hope for a time when you decide the site is better of without this poster's content-free venom? He has never said anything remotely interesting or entertaining or insightful or counter intuitive (see his posts on this thread). If I come here and find he is posting I go away again. I doubt it's just me that does that.
    Please do go away. Before you do, take the beam from your own eye. That particular individual who you are happily defending basically made a comment so offensive that anyone with Irish ancestry would regard as outrageous, if not racist.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MTimT said:

That, indeed, is Trump's biggest failing - not to realize that politics is way more complex than business, so much so that, for the most part, entirely different strategies and tactics are required (for which he is impressively ill-equipped).

All of those years on The Apprentice being beamed into the living rooms of the ignorami as the very embodiment of the tough but fair alpha male with the common touch who takes no crap and gets results. The drip drip impact of that is not to be underestimated.

Thank god our version only has Lord Sugar.
    Sensible post.
  • Options

notme2 said:

stodge said:

Indeed, I'd rate it as slightly above average, having munched one earlier.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    kinabalu said:

MTimT said:

You see it in armchair Brexit negotiators here who think you just need to take the money off the table and wait for them to come to you.
  • Options
    I doubt I am the only one who longs for the days when politicians eating burgers or bacon sarnies was all we had to worry about.
  • Options
    No hate speech against Chris Grayling please. Such a kind face.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226
    _Anazina_ said:

I doubt I am the only one who longs for the days when politicians eating burgers or bacon sarnies was all we had to worry about.

:+1::lol:

• Options

Sensible post.

I will try to bounce back from that asap.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641

Floater said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

FPT for Floater

Floater said:

» show previous quotes

In Belarus, or Yugoslavia such anti partisan atrocities were fairly routine. Hundreds of Belarussian villages were obliterated that way. Similar incidents in France were remarkeable because they were isolated. The excellent, albeit very gruelling, film "Come and See" covers well this horrible period.

https://youtu.be/fqKDg5pPzsg
  • Options

You see it in armchair Brexit negotiators here who think you just need to take the money off the table and wait for them to come to you.

Indeed you do. It's seductive. It sounds right.

But sadly it is bollox.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

MTimT said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

FPT for Floater

Floater said:

» show previous quotes

(snip)

Alsace-Lorraine has always been somewhere switched between whichever side won last!
    All sorts of people have found themselves fighting for the Germans. I have a book somewhere that mentions that US forces were surprised to capture some Korean prisoners in Normandy - they'd had an interesting history of being captured by the Russians when fighting for the Germans, then captured by the Germans when fighting for the Russians and finally surprising US soldiers. Given that history they may not have been fighting to the last. (I may have somewhat misremembered here, but that's the gist)
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    Greens too. Something to be said for a combined LibDem, Tigger, Green coupon list system.
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me whether Ishmael_Z is simply a contrarian? He says he voted remain, but seems very keen to come to the defence of the most virulent Brexit supporters, even when they have said really offensive things? Weird. maybe he just enjoys trolling?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    Greens too. Something to be said for a combined LibDem, Tigger, Green coupon list system.
    Why? Are they not distinct entities? Did Tigger spokesman not talk about ideas coming from left and potentially right?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    It'll be interesting to see what it does to turnout.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    Why? Are they not distinct entities? Did Tigger spokesman not talk about ideas coming from left and potentially right?
    I can see TIGers aligning OK with LDs, but the Greens are seen even by centre right moderates as very left wing
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    Certainly are, but in a list system of multimember Euroconstituencies, something to be said.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    In an FPTnP election, for sure. Doesn't really work so well in a PR list system for the EU elections.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782

malcolmg said:

FF43 said:

Not really. Ireland spent a long time post-secession trying to distance itself from the UK sphere of influence, but for various reasons this was and remains difficult. So it took pride in its membership of the EU and its predecessors, considering it a pole of influence to counterbalance the UK. Its interest in the EU isn't solely financial.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

MTimT said:

Floater said:

Floater said:

malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

FPT for Floater

Floater said:

» show previous quotes

(snip)

All sorts of people have found themselves fighting for the Germans. I have a book somewhere that mentions that US forces were surprised to capture some Korean prisoners in Normandy - they'd had an interesting history of being captured by the Russians when fighting for the Germans, then captured by the Germans when fighting for the Russians and finally surprising US soldiers. Given that history they may not have been fighting to the last. (I may have somewhat misremembered here, but that's the gist)
    This is the fellow:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Kyoungjong

• Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    edited March 2019
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    Certainly are, but in a list system of multimember Euroconstituencies, something to be said.
    It's hard to see the Tiggers being ready to fight an election by June. They have no party organistiaon, no system for selecting candidates, no members, no electoral databases. They are not even registered as a political party. Chuka may come over well on Newsmight but you can't run a campaign on that basis.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    I can see TIGers aligning OK with LDs, but the Greens are seen even by centre right moderates as very left wing
    Their (the Greens) problem is that they try to overreach - I'm enormously interested in the Green's policy on the environment, slightly interested in their energy policy, and wouldn't use as loo-paper their economic policy.

It strikes me that we should almost have a third (lower) chamber for single issue politicians. A hundred Greens that are clueless on the Economy will never get the votes for the Commons, but they'd get single issue votes to be noisy and awkward in a different forum, even from me.
  • Options

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    It's hard to see the Tiggers being ready to fight an election by June. They have no party organistiaon, no system for selecting candidates, no members, no electoral databases. They are not even registered as a political party. Chuka may come over well on Newsmight but you can't run a campaign on that basis.
    I had sort of assumed the lack of party creation right from the start was in part so they could explain why they are not fighting various elections...yet, and so risk a very poor result which kills any momentum they might be after. There are practical reasons not to of course, but many a new party has been created first and attempts (usually failed ones) to create the infrastructure afterwards, and with 7 MPs to start with they could probably have managed.

As it is if they are not standing in Newport West it would be a bit noteworthy for the new kids on the block not to get involved as such, but they are still figuring stuff out.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    In an FPTnP election, for sure. Doesn't really work so well in a PR list system for the EU elections.
    It still matters, in 2014 Labour got 20 MEPs from 4 million votes, while LD got 1 for 1 million, and Green 3 from 1.1 million.

On the other hand the Farage Ego party and UKIP may well split the frothing at the mouth Brexiteer vote.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_European_Parliament_election_in_the_United_Kingdom
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    Uh... Not sure why two parties to the right and one to the left would combine
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Good interview from Huw Merriman on the radio. Threw just about everyone under the bus, particularly failing Grayling !
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Freggles said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    Uh... Not sure why two parties to the right and one to the left would combine
    To fight on a combined #peoplesvote ticket. This is the Euro-Parliament, not for a Sovereign Westminster government.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sensible post.

I will try to bounce back from that asap.
    You do have several you know from time to time !!!!!!!!!
  • Options

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    I understand the election starts around the 21st April so parties would need to be up and running by then
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    Pulpstar said:

_Anazina_ said:

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1101480975048024065

Watson! Walk your people out of this cesspit.

I used to work across the street from there. It was never that busy. There are better places in the West End to enjoy a steak.
    I'm assuming Philip Collins the Times writer ?
    Possibly. There is some doubt. In fact, you could say it's a Land of Confusion... :)
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    Depends on the threshold per constituency if and where it makes sense.

I'd certainly have stretched to Plaid as well in the Wood era. Not sure now. SNP more problematic.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

I'd rate it as slightly above average, having munched one earlier.

Quite absurdly salty. Not your comment, the Byron Burger. If people were to make a habit of plotting 'a new politics for a new 21st century paradigm' there they would be unlikely to live to see the dream realized.
  • Options
    OT - Sporting brains trust...

Got a weekend break in Oxford booked in a hotel from this evening with the family but also a secret ticket to Spurs v Arsenal for tomorrow requiring me leaving the family car-less if I break away and go.

What is the correct action here - esp as I'm expecting the football week from hell to continue?
  • Options

Do you expect all the Tory MPs who voted no confidence much more recently to defect?

• Options
    Poor old Chuka, he never really felt at home in the Labour Party.

"He added that when he briefly stood for the party leadership in 2015, before withdrawing, he was warned that being of BAME background could count against him."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/01/chuka-umunna-i-never-felt-totally-comfortable-in-the-labour-party
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,949
    viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

_Anazina_ said:

I used to work across the street from there. It was never that busy. There are better places in the West End to enjoy a steak.
    Possibly. There is some doubt. In fact, you could say it's a Land of Confusion... :)
    I know this is a betting site, but you have to imagine the chances of Watson joining the Tiggers are against all odds?

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Scott_P said:
    She won't go far in Corbyn's Labour then.....
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

_Anazina_ said:

I know this is a betting site, but you have to imagine the chances of Watson joining the Tiggers are against all odds?

but I can feel it in the air tonight
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

AndyJS said:

Fun, fun, fun!
    How would they order the people on the lists? Normally the members vote for those on the list. Who would get the top slots - the only ones that matter? Draw lots?
  • Options

Got a weekend break in Oxford booked in a hotel from this evening with the family but also a secret ticket to Spurs v Arsenal for tomorrow requiring me leaving the family car-less if I break away and go.

What is the correct action here - esp as I'm expecting the football week from hell to continue?

Why would you take a car to london. Train there and back and the family have the car, or am I missing something
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003

Do you expect all the Tory MPs who voted no confidence much more recently to defect?
    That could happen, and it is something the Conservatives should be concerned about. Politics is in such an upheaval that it's perfectly possible for a once-in-a-century tectonic shift to occur. Anyone betting on politics at the moment - at the national level at least - needs balls of steel.

But instead of "Look squirrel!" over the Conservatives, I'd expect a genuine Labour person to be soul-searching over the mire their party has descended into. But you won't do that, because you're not Labour.

You're a Corbynite: a party within a party; a diseased, sick group; a bunch of anti-Semites and excusers of anti-Semitism; a group who denounce Labour MPs and members who have spent decades working for the cause just because they're not fully in tune with the sickness.
  • Options

Plenty for them to do in Oxford without a car :)
This discussion has been closed.