Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters make it a 54% chance that TMay will go next year with

Comments

• Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,626

Woman in the audience of Question Time from Edinburgh.

"I want to leave, it's a load of scaremongering, I think we'd thrive".

....She's talking about Scottish Independence not Brexit in case anyone was confused 😂.

Maybe she's confused as to how Scottish secession on the grounds of Brexit leads to more independence rather than less. See here:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/30/telegraph-cartoons-october-2018/blower-cartoon-october-10/
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612

Tony said:

At the risk of sounding like I'm repeating myself.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1050486402805305346?s=19

James Forsyth reported that the issue between the DUP and Mays people is that the DUP think they are being told sugar coated untruths from May. They met Barnier and he explained in detail the checks that would be required, whereas Mays lot were saying no checks.
    I think this is where "heal the wounds" with Mays toppling comes from.
    As I have been saying, you can't fudge a customs union or a regulatory border. When will Tory PMs realise that you can't solve disputes relating to the EU just by spin? Of course a regulatory border is real and will have real consequences and will create a real barrier between NI and the rest of the UK. And as the DUP point out, since the EU trade offer is CETA then the EU will insist on a customs border as well.

The only way to solve this issue is to reject the very concept of a backstop. The UK offer should be that, as long as the EU publicly commit to the concept of a maxfac border between NI and the ROI, the UK will agree to some sort of time limited delay whilst this is put in place, probably using the WTO as arbiters as to when the border is sufficient. If the EU won't agree to the soft border in concept, then the UK has no choice but to leave with no deal.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

I am trying to think how long it is since Scotland has played this badly. It’s not easy to be sure because we often play poorly but this seems a whole new level of crud.

https://twitter.com/Munchbunch87/status/1050492555849293824
    Yet it was an ex Celtic player that made the first goal and the current Celtic blunder kid that scored the winner for Israel.

Funny old game.
    Now done all the railways within and south of the Central Belt - with the sole exception of Stranraer due to the stability issues at Ayr station!
    I still haven't taken the Shotts line between Glasgow and Edinburgh and I commute between the two often enough.

On the hottest day in Glasgow ever, this past summer, I did board one of the Shotts line trains at Glasgow Central after buckled rails closed the Falkirk High route, but then they cancelled that train too and sent everyone back to Queen Street for the Bathgate trains.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Live phone polling has just started in PA 1, VA 10, MN 8:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/upshot/elections-polls.html

Previous polling in Nevada was typical. Slightly over 2% of those phoned responded. On the basis of the slightly over 2% who are untypical enough to answer a robophone poll, it is neck and neck. But how on earth can the responses to a question which nearly 49 out of 50 choose to ignore lead to a claimed margin of error of only 4%? The assumption that the wholly exceptional few who give a response is typical of the mainstream who do not is a huge one. Indeed, so exceptional is the behaviour of those who answer robophone polls that their opinions are probably as atypical of the mainstream voter as those of us political animals who choose to post here.
    Because I think they have scientific methods for weighting the responses using demographics.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Tony said:

James Forsyth reported that the issue between the DUP and Mays people is that the DUP think they are being told sugar coated untruths from May. They met Barnier and he explained in detail the checks that would be required, whereas Mays lot were saying no checks.
    As I have been saying, you can't fudge a customs union or a regulatory border. When will Tory PMs realise that you can't solve disputes relating to the EU just by spin? Of course a regulatory border is real and will have real consequences and will create a real barrier between NI and the rest of the UK. And as the DUP point out, since the EU trade offer is CETA then the EU will insist on a customs border as well.

The only way to solve this issue is to reject the very concept of a backstop. The UK offer should be that, as long as the EU publicly commit to the concept of a maxfac border between NI and the ROI, the UK will agree to some sort of time limited delay whilst this is put in place, probably using the WTO as arbiters as to when the border is sufficient. If the EU won't agree to the soft border in concept, then the UK has no choice but to leave with no deal.
    May's biggest Brexit mis-step (in a long list) was not telling the EU to fuck off with their backstop.

It will cost her the job of being PM.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175
    edited October 2018
    Just come back from our Association Annual Dinner with Priti Patel.

Archer will be pleased to hear she was very pro 'Leave means Leave' ie leave the single market and customs union and ECJ jurisdiction and cut taxes and regulation and pursue 'global Britain.'

I doubt she will be the next PM but as a future Tory Leader of the Opposition she may be in the frame
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    edited October 2018

Tony said:

May's biggest Brexit mis-step (in a long list) was not telling the EU to fuck off with their backstop.

I think there is more cunning on the UK negotiating side. She agreed the backstop because she could theb say the only way it can be met is by the UK having an agreement that we are in the CU and the SM for the bits we like but out of the bits we do not like.
    The EU have said no, hence the impasse, but May thought she has a winner in the agreement.
  • Options

In the real world I am beginning to suspect that events are about to overtake domestic politics. I Was visiting a large manufacturer in the midlands today. They are a core part of UK industry with £20m turnover. Like much of industry they are owned by offshore private equity. They are struggling to be allowed to invest despite a massive order book and premium products. Staff retention is low and employees age is high. How will Brexit help solve the real world issues this plant faces and the real risk of it being closed.

Much of our wealth in this country is in the hands of people who don’t care about Brexit. We want control of our country but we have mortgaged much of it to pawnbrokers.

A 'core part of UK industry' with £20m turnover ?

A manufacturer with £20m turnover would have about 100 employees.

And why would a successful business with a 'massive order book' be at risk of being closed ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Archer will be pleased to hear she was very pro 'Leave means Leave' ie leave the single market and customs union and ECJ jurisdiction and cut taxes and regulation and pursue 'global Britain.'

I doubt she will be the next PM but as a future Tory Leader of the Opposition she may be in the frame

I would really like to get behind Patel, but I just can't. She has views I support but she doesn't have the talent. She just doesn't strike me as terribly bright. But she looks good on the telly and I suppose that is all that matters these days.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

HYUFD said:

I would really like to get behind Patel, but I just can't. She has views I support but she doesn't have the talent. She just doesn't strike me as terribly bright. But she looks good on the telly and I suppose that is all that matters these days.
    If you were going on intelligence alone Geoffrey Cox would be a good bet given his oratory last week but he is more a leader for 1948 than 2018.

Patel is photogenic and sharp and against Corbyn I think could get under his skin being a female Asian Thatcherite
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Tony said:

I think there is more cunning on the UK negotiating side. She agreed the backstop because she could theb say the only way it can be met is by the UK having an agreement that we are in the CU and the SM for the bits we like but out of the bits we do not like.
    The EU have said no, hence the impasse, but May thought she has a winner in the agreement.
    Other, less generous interpretations exist!
  • Options

Tony said:

You might be right when applied to Robbins. There was stuff coming out earlier in the year that he saw the backstop as a way of staying in the SM/CU by the back door without FOM and payments. Barnier saw the trap and hence the March NI backstop text and the stalemate since.

I don't think May had any idea what she was doing when she agreed the backstop. She clearly didn't understand the impact on NI, the response of the DUP or the fact that it would be impossible to agree a permanent backstop with her Cabinet.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Hmm. I’ve just realised that there have been very few Tories speaking up in support of May tonight.

Will be interesting to see what can be mustered on the Today programme tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    Mortimer said:

Hmm. I’ve just realised that there have been very few Tories speaking up in support of May tonight.

Here's one.
    https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status/1050507823304638464
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,370

Jeremy Corbyn is the natural healer in that situation - no strong views on Brexit either way :)

With respect Nick, I assume this is tongue in cheek

Yes (the smiley was a clue)!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Will be interesting to see what can be mustered on the Today programme tomorrow morning.

Hard to polish a ....
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Tony said:

Other, less generous interpretations exist!
    Shipman's books puncture any idea that our political classes are machiavellian geniuses. To be fair (what? on the Internet?), being very, very busy and very, very pressured can reduce anyone's IQ to room temperature, but they collectively don't come out well. Again, to be fair, the EU are hardly a shining light in this department, exhibit A being Messrs Juncker and Tusk, muppets both.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

DavidL said:

I am trying to think how long it is since Scotland has played this badly. It’s not easy to be sure because we often play poorly but this seems a whole new level of crud.

https://twitter.com/Munchbunch87/status/1050492555849293824
    Yet it was an ex Celtic player that made the first goal and the current Celtic blunder kid that scored the winner for Israel.

Funny old game.
    Now done all the railways within and south of the Central Belt - with the sole exception of Stranraer due to the stability issues at Ayr station!
    I still haven't taken the Shotts line between Glasgow and Edinburgh and I commute between the two often enough.

On the hottest day in Glasgow ever, this past summer, I did board one of the Shotts line trains at Glasgow Central after buckled rails closed the Falkirk High route, but then they cancelled that train too and sent everyone back to Queen Street for the Bathgate trains.
    Well it seems that they have electrified the Shotts Line, or at least the wires are in place - just need to be energised I guess. I finished off my Scottish invasion incursion sojourn by doing Shotts eastbound and Bathgate westbound - last year did Bathgate eastbound and last Monday week did Shotts westbound.

I guess I will have to wait till next year (more daylight, better weather) before doing the rest of Scotland. Oh, well!
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Cyclefree said:

@Barnesian (fpt): “you'd have to be over 80 to remember anyone who fought and died in the 1939-45 war . So wearing a poppy can't be personal.”

What rubbish. My father was a Squadron Leader during WW2 and I am a long long way from being 80.

Indeed, at junior school in Cyprus (Akrotiri) in 1965, I distinctly remember the 25th celebration of the Battle of Britain. Many of my teachers fought in the war. Most of my father's friends did. My godfather, and the person who taught me to swim did. I just turned 60. Barnesian is out by 25 years.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,027
    TGOHF said:
    Please, please tell me it was a monkey... :)
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

@Barnesian (fpt): “you'd have to be over 80 to remember anyone who fought and died in the 1939-45 war . So wearing a poppy can't be personal.”

What rubbish. My father was a Squadron Leader during WW2 and I am a long long way from being 80.

Indeed, at junior school in Cyprus (Akrotiri) in 1965, I distinctly remember the 25th celebration of the Battle of Britain. Many of my teachers fought in the war. Most of my father's friends did. My godfather, and the person who taught me to swim did. I just turned 60. Barnesian is out by 25 years.
    "and died" . I'd be surprised if many were still teaching 25 years after dying.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    This Week tonight is reporting May is moving towards proposing that GB stays in the Customs Union until a FTA is agreed but Northern Ireland stays in the Single Market to resolve the Irish border issue
  • Options

In the real world I am beginning to suspect that events are about to overtake domestic politics. I Was visiting a large manufacturer in the midlands today. They are a core part of UK industry with £20m turnover. Like much of industry they are owned by offshore private equity. They are struggling to be allowed to invest despite a massive order book and premium products. Staff retention is low and employees age is high. How will Brexit help solve the real world issues this plant faces and the real risk of it being closed.

Much of our wealth in this country is in the hands of people who don’t care about Brexit. We want control of our country but we have mortgaged much of it to pawnbrokers.

A 'core part of UK industry' with £20m turnover ?

A manufacturer with £20m turnover would have about 100 employees.

And why would a successful business with a 'massive order book' be at risk of being closed ?
    Got the same accountant as Patisserie Valarie?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,842

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

"and died" . I'd be surprised if many were still teaching 25 years after dying.

It certainly seemed like some of my teachers had been dead a quarter century!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

This Week tonight is reporting May is moving towards proposing that GB stays in the Customs Union but Northern Ireland stays in the Single Market

Brenda won't be pleased when she finds out she will be having to get out and vote will be required again shortly.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,032
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If you were going on intelligence alone Geoffrey Cox would be a good bet given his oratory last week but he is more a leader for 1948 than 2018.

Patel is photogenic and sharp and against Corbyn I think could get under his skin being a female Asian Thatcherite
    She is indeed photogenic. Sharp...dubious. Thatcherite well that is not flavour of the month outside the most committed Tory circles. She is also a proven liar. But needs must...
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    HYUFD said:

This Week tonight is reporting May is moving towards proposing that GB stays in the Customs Union but Northern Ireland stays in the Single Market

Another worst of both worlds solution?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Brenda won't be pleased when she finds out she will be having to get out and vote will be required again shortly.
    Unless May gets enough Labour, LD and SNP votes for her plans to overcome the ERG and DUP opposition
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Unless May gets enough Labour, LD and SNP votes for her plans to overcome the ERG and DUP opposition
    Liz Kendall very clear that Labour Remainers will not support May.

• Options

HYUFD said:

Another worst of both worlds solution?
    Barnier was originally proposing a Canada style FTA for GB and the Customs Union for NI, May has now gone one better than he was asking for
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

She is indeed photogenic. Sharp...dubious. Thatcherite well that is not flavour of the month outside the most committed Tory circles. She is also a proven liar. But needs must...
    This is politics after all
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    viewcode said:

TGOHF said:
    Well the donkey with red rosette lost
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Liz "4%" Kendall very clear that Labour Remainers will not support May.

Corrected it for you :)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"Unless May gets enough Labour, LD and SNP votes for her plans to overcome the ERG and DUP opposition"

She might.

But surely the next day the DUP will break the whip vote? And then we will be in limbo for a while, before there is a confidence vote.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,027
    Floater said:

viewcode said:

TGOHF said:
    Well the donkey with red rosette lost
    Boom, boom... :)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well yes. However, impressing Epping Forest Tories is hardly proof of a magic bullet against Corbyn.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well yes. However, impressing Epping Forest Tories is hardly proof of a magic bullet against Corbyn.
    There is no magic bullet against Corbyn, what may be needed is someone who has belief in their message as he has in his
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Liz Kendall very clear that Labour Remainers will not support May.

The Times this morning reported 30 Labour MPs may do though
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

There is no magic bullet against Corbyn, what may be needed is someone who has belief in their message as he has in his
    On that point we agree.
    But that message has to resonate widely also.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On that point we agree.
    Given Corbyn has abandoned the centre but motivates his base in a Corbynites v Thatcherites battle the centre could go either way if both motivate their base
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

We may be in a sea change, as Callaghan put it, when nothing one side does matters. Certainly feels that way, but the polls still say otherwise.

If I had to guess, only Boris can beat Corbyn in an actual five or six week campaign.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,924
    edited October 2018
    Portillo convinced there's going to be an election soon - Have to say if he's right I'll be voting for Corbyn if May is leading the Tories in any future election.

I've had it with her and her shambles of a party!

#ToriesOut
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Portillo convinced there's going to be an election soon - Have to say if he's right I'll be voting for Corbyn is May if leading the Tories in any election.

#ToriesOut

Surely UKIP would be more appropriate?
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    I am not sure it will be a Corbyn-led Labour at the next election, it is easy to fall into the trap of trying to re-fight the last election (ie anticipating a Corbyn-style campaign) I couldnt say what it will be, but trying to strategise a 2017 re-run will fail.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

We may be in a sea change, as Callaghan put it, when nothing one side does matters. Certainly feels that way, but the polls still say otherwise.

If I had to guess, only Boris can beat Corbyn in an actual five or six week campaign.
    Corbyn is not Thatcher who was the Tories answer to Attlee anyway. Both those leaders made the weather.

Corbyn at most if he gets in will get in propped up by the SNP and LDs and the Tories will almost certainly still be largest party
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,924
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Portillo convinced there's going to be an election soon - Have to say if he's right I'll be voting for Corbyn is May if leading the Tories in any election.

#ToriesOut

Nope. UKIP is a wasted vote (and they are racists - I don't associate myself with racists)

Time to hit Con right where it hurts and that's by voting for Corbyn to get them out!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

#ToriesOut

Nope. UKIP is a wasted vote (and they are racists - I don't associate myself with racists)

Time to hit Con right where it hurts and that's by voting for Corbyn to get them out!
    UKIP is not a racist vote if you want to make a pro hard Brexit protest, they are still not the BNP.

Voting for a Marxist just to have a tantrum is not a sensible idea once you wake up from the hangover with John McDonnell as Chancellor
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On that point we agree.
    Given Corbyn has abandoned the centre but motivates his base in a Corbynites v Thatcherites battle the centre could go either way if both motivate their base
    Sorry. There are precious few Thatcherites around. There is no North Sea Oil or nationalised industries to sell off. Even TM has said austerity is over. There is no overarching theme to fight Corbyn. Other than free market capitalism is great (if you ignore the past 10 years).
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Watching the video I can't really find much arguable in what he said.
  • Options

I am not sure it will be a Corbyn-led Labour at the next election, it is easy to fall into the trap of trying to re-fight the last election (ie anticipating a Corbyn-style campaign) I couldnt say what it will be, but trying to strategise a 2017 re-run will fail.

True. But the stuff Corbyn is talking about resonates: austerity, housing, education, lack of opportunities, big business stitch up, schools with no money, UC is a disaster, disabled people are at food banks, foreign buyers of 3rd or 4th homes etc etc.

Never mind the disaster that Brexit will be next Spring.

The warnings lights on the Tory dash board are flashing red and no one, except a tiny group, like Robert Halfon, are noticing.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994

Watching the video I can't really find much arguable in what he said.
    :o from his harshest critic, no less.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On that point we agree.
    Sorry. There are precious few Thatcherites around. There is no North Sea Oil or nationalised industries to sell off. Even TM has said austerity is over. There is no overarching theme to fight Corbyn. Other than free market capitalism is great (if you ignore the past 10 years).
    The overarching theme is Not Corbyn. :p
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited October 2018
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

#ToriesOut

Left wing idiots got Corbyn to the brink of 10 Downing Street. Right wing fools who’d cut off their nose to spite their face will put him in.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

On that point we agree.
    Even under Jacob Rees Mogg the Tories would be on 35% v Corbyn with Yougov. There are plenty of Thatcherites still around, she did after all win 3 general elections, 2 of them against Old Labour socialists
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

#ToriesOut

UKIP is not a racist vote if you want to make a pro hard Brexit protest, they are still not the BNP.

Voting for a Marxist just to have a tantrum is not a sensible idea once you wake up from the hangover with John McDonnell as Chancellor
    Which spookily was a similar argument used against electing Thatcher in 79.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

#ToriesOut

Left wing idiots got Corbyn to the brink of 10 Downing Street. Right wing fools who’d cut off their nose to spite their face will put him in.
    Are you hearing the siren calls of the second referendum again?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

True. But the stuff Corbyn is talking about resonates: austerity, housing, education, lack of opportunities, big business stitch up, schools with no money, UC is a disaster, disabled people are at food banks, foreign buyers of 3rd or 4th homes etc etc.

The warnings lights on the Tory dash board are flashing red and no one, except a tiny group, like Robert Halfon, are noticing.

After a few years of Corbynite tax and spend, IMF bailouts, soaring inflation and strike ridden nationalised industries and bins left overflowing plenty of voters will be ready to give Thatcherism a second look again
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

#ToriesOut

Are you hearing the siren calls of the second referendum again?
    Offered by the Tories? How exactly do you think that'd be good for them at the ballot box?
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

As I understand it to some Corbyn cannot win so there is no need to worry, I think this is a case of people believing what they want to believe.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

After a few years of Corbynite tax and spend, IMF bailouts, soaring inflation and strike ridden nationalised industries and bins left overflowing plenty of voters will be ready to give Thatcherism a second look again
    Which spookily was the argument against electing Thatcher in the first place. Not exactly, but that it would be an untrammelled disaster, just because, pretty much was.
    Anyway, good night.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Would this be the very same ‘sharp’ Priti Patel?

https://youtu.be/_DrsVhzbLzU

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited October 2018

My mum lives in Patel's constituency. She says she "works ever so hard". I'm not sure, but I think this is a euphemism from her teaching days meaning "she's as thick as pigshit".
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Bolsonaro leads on 58% to 42% for Haddad in a new poll for the 2nd round runoff of the Brazilian Presidential election

https://g1.globo.com/politica/eleicoes/2018/noticia/2018/10/10/datafolha-para-presidente-votos-validos-bolsonaro-58-haddad-42.ghtml
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited October 2018
    That stuff about early voting in CA is interesting:
    In a discussion with David Axelrod, a top adviser to former President Barack Obama, on his podcast recently, Harris adviser Ace Smith slyly called the earlier California primary “a fun thing,” noting, “The other thing to keep in mind is that we have, as you well know, we have … 29-day early voting.”

Axelrod responded, “So the day Iowa votes, California will begin voting, and that should be an enormous advantage to a candidate who is from California, which will … have about what, 12 percent of the delegates.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/10/10/bernie-sanders-california-2020-primary-891120
    I guess that means the "winnowing the field" part is all about Iowa: If you lose there, it's already getting too late to come back in NH.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    HYUFD said:
    He's getting go faster stripes painted on his zimmer frame.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906
    Anazina said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Great footage. It's surprising she's got as far as she has. I noticed her on a program the other day and she seemed to have lost her habit of dropping letters which is something of an improvement. She must have has elocution lessons but as Edmund says even with this minor improvement 'thick as pigshit' seems about right.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    That's not what he's saying. He's explaining why 60% of the UK wants recognition of a Palestinian state. Was this crap posted by Guido disguising himself as Carlotta?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Patisserie Valerie wants crowd funding. Don't do it!

The last thing the UK needs is crowd funded cream cakes.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,501
    HYUFD said:

Bolsonaro leads on 58% to 42% for Haddad in a new poll for the 2nd round runoff of the Brazilian Presidential election

https://g1.globo.com/politica/eleicoes/2018/noticia/2018/10/10/datafolha-para-presidente-votos-validos-bolsonaro-58-haddad-42.ghtml

You're too young to remember Reggie Perrin, but you do sometimes remind me of the Sunshine Desserts market research woman.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,501
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

#ToriesOut

It would be Double or Quits.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

#ToriesOut

It would be Double or Quits.
    UKIP's drift into the arms of EDL/BNP and other aspects of the British Right should not be ignored...its a dangerous game to play and one I suspect UKIP will regret in years to come.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Why on earth are we leaving the Customs Union? Of all the craziness associated with Brexit this has to be the craziest.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    HYUFD said:

Really bad news. Another climate change denier, who reportedly wants to chop down the amazon rainforest.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/09/brazils-bolsonaro-would-unleash-a-war-on-the-environment
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

"Unless May gets enough Labour, LD and SNP votes for her plans to overcome the ERG and DUP opposition"

She might.

But surely the next day the DUP will break the whip vote? And then we will be in limbo for a while, before there is a confidence vote.
    We've been in Brexit limbo for a. While now ;)
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728
    @britainelects
    Independent GAIN Penketh and Cuerdley (Warrington) from Labour.

@britainelects
    7h7 hours ago
    Independent GAIN Hart (Hartlepool) from Labour.

@britainelects
    8h8 hours ago
    Labour GAIN Southlands (Adur) from UKIP.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408

Why on earth are we leaving the Customs Union? Of all the craziness associated with Brexit this has to be the craziest.

Because of the baggage that comes with it. A Customs Union means we cannot do our own deals internationally and are stuck with deals designed to protect Spanish produce or Greek olives but which seem to offer us relatively little in the way of services access.

In the EU's case CU membership also seems to come at the price of having to comply with and implement their laws and be subject to the overarching jurisdiction of the CJEU for dispute resolution. These are not a necessary adjunct of a CU but in their case it seems to be the price of membership, despite the deal they have with Turkey.

The government seems to now want a CU of sorts (the UK wide backstop) but it doesn't want this other stuff and could not sell a deal including it. Whether it can sell a deal including CU membership remains to be seen.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,680
    DavidL said:

Because of the baggage that comes with it. A Customs Union means we cannot do our own deals internationally and are stuck with deals designed to protect Spanish produce or Greek olives but which seem to offer us relatively little in the way of services access.

In the EU's case CU membership also seems to come at the price of having to comply with and implement their laws and be subject to the overarching jurisdiction of the CJEU for dispute resolution. These are not a necessary adjunct of a CU but in their case it seems to be the price of membership, despite the deal they have with Turkey.

The government seems to now want a CU of sorts (the UK wide backstop) but it doesn't want this other stuff and could not sell a deal including it. Whether it can sell a deal including CU membership remains to be seen.
    Worse than that it means the EU can sell access to British markets as a free “sweetener” in any future trade deal without any input from ourselves.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,078
    Roger said:

Anazina said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Great footage. It's surprising she's got as far as she has. I noticed her on a program the other day and she seemed to have lost her habit of dropping letters which is something of an improvement. She must have has elocution lessons but as Edmund says even with this minor improvement 'thick as pigshit' seems about right.
    She can’t be very bright. I’m in her constituency, have met her a few times and she thinks I vote for her.

Me! Vote Tory!!!!!!!
  • Options

DavidL said:

Worse than that it means the EU can sell access to British markets as a free “sweetener” in any future trade deal without any input from ourselves.
    But we get the rest of the EU as a free sweetener. Which is the biggest free trade area on the planet. Even with no say in its operation it still sounds like a great deal.
  • Options

My mum lives in Patel's constituency. She says she "works ever so hard". I'm not sure, but I think this is a euphemism from her teaching days meaning "she's as thick as pigshit".
    Since not being a Minister (!) she’s taken a greater interest in constituency matters, especially, for some reason, in the Tiptree.... home of the jam-maker..... area.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,805

Because staying in the Customs Union is damage limitation. Doing so admits Brexit is damage. Not doing so, however, means the damage won't be limited.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,680

DavidL said:

But we get the rest of the EU as a free sweetener. Which is the biggest free trade area on the planet. Even with no say in its operation it still sounds like a great deal.
    I don’t think you’ve understood what I wrote.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Selling the deal is only the half of it. The government will also have to cope with people unhappy with the consequences even if they are uninterested in the details.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I don't think you understood what you wrote.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,453

DavidL said:

I don't think you understood what you wrote.
    Epitaph for Brexit.
  • Options

DavidL said:

They can’t offer access to the UK without offering the same access to themselves.
  • Options

Since not being a Minister (!) she’s taken a greater interest in constituency matters, especially, for some reason, in the Tiptree.... home of the jam-maker..... area.
    What is it about Brexiteers and their fixation on innovative jam?

We all know one party leader is skilled at jam making...
  • Options

Unlike Amber Rudd or even Justine Greening, Ms Patel's seat is rock solid safe Blue which immediately means she is guaranteed a seat in the next Parliament, no sign of the chicken run yet by Tory wannabees, so thats got to be in her favour. if I am brutal about it however, I dont believe a good chunk of Tory voters want a non-white leader yet - Baroness Warsi's comments about Islamaphobia strike an unpleasant chord about Little Britain Tories.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

She's at the tip of the tree, but he's at the top of it!
  • Options

@britainelects

@britainelects
    8h8 hours ago
    Labour GAIN Southlands (Adur) from UKIP.

Anyone got the figures for that one. Looks possibly significant.
  • Options

I dont believe a good chunk of Tory voters want a non-white leader yet - Baroness Warsi's comments about Islamaphobia strike an unpleasant chord about Little Britain Tories.

Even if your comment was correct - and I would point out that she would actually be the third Tory leader from an ethnic minority, the first appointed as long ago as 1867, so it clearly isn't - she is not a Muslim so Islamophobia (which is, again, bigotry not racism) is irrelevant.

It's her somewhat slippery business and overseas dealings plus her policy stances that rule her out.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

She's at the tip of the tree, but he's at the top of it!
    She knows how to win over Conserve-atives.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I dont believe a good chunk of Tory voters want a non-white leader yet - Baroness Warsi's comments about Islamaphobia strike an unpleasant chord about Little Britain Tories.

Even if your comment was correct - and I would point out that she would actually be the third Tory leader from an ethnic minority, the first appointed as long ago as 1867, so it clearly isn't - she is not a Muslim so Islamophobia (which is, again, bigotry not racism) is irrelevant.

It's her somewhat slippery business and overseas dealings plus her policy stances that rule her out.
    Who was the second; Alec Douglas-Home?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,013
    Good morning, everyone.

I wonder if Mordaunt has the MP power base to make it through the first couple of rounds. If she does, she might do well, though the 'let's have a woman' demographic nonsense will have taken a hit given May's less than Thatcherite performance.
This discussion has been closed.