Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The front page of Private Eye captures the political mood perf

12346»

Comments

• Theresa should just resign and hand over the leadership to Boris. The poor woman has humiliated herself enough. It's a miserable spectacle.
  • So there we are. Within minutes the Times confirms the back track under the pressure of a resignation threat. Substantive policy differences ( Swiss Vs Canada models ) being slugged out in public under threat of senior resignations. 18 months to go and service exporters ( the bulk of our exports and not covered by the Canada model ) haven't the faintest idea what's going on. We're still negotiating with ourselves. Buckle up.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833

So the pre pre briefing on Florence was May would offer £30bn. Now the pre briefing is she's offering €20bn. In the meantime Boris has threatened resignation and then walked back from the brink. So have in fact May and Boris sat down and split the difference ? And what does that do to the negotiations ? How does leaking a higher figure then announcing a lower one unblock anything ? Of course we have to wait for the actual speech but it all smacks of extraordinary chaos.

Your last sentence is the best one (the bit about waiting for the speech)
    On which topic, this habit nowadays of bigging-up speeches weeks in advance does make me laugh (well cringe). If Mrs May has something to announce, why doesn't she just step out into Downing Street and say it, or announce it at a press conferences whilst on tour? - it's not like she lacks a platform.

I cannot see how all the speculation generated by the planned Florence speech is helping her (or our) cause one bit.
    Better still she could actually go to Parliament and make a statement to the MPs who are supposed to be the ultimate authority.
    Indeed, it’s an increasingly annoying habit in recent times, of senior ministers giving key speeches elsewhere.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,924

Boris threatens to quit. May changes her speech. Boris agrees to stay.

So which one is in charge here?

Paul Dacre. Has been since Cameron quit.
  • So there we are. Within minutes the Times confirms the back track under the pressure of a resignation threat. Substantive policy differences ( Swiss Vs Canada models ) being slugged out in public under threat of senior resignations. 18 months to go and service exporters ( the bulk of our exports and not covered by the Canada model ) haven't the faintest idea what's going on. We're still negotiating with ourselves. Buckle up.

May is PM in name only. She is so weak.
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited September 2017

So the pre pre briefing on Florence was May would offer £30bn. Now the pre briefing is she's offering €20bn. In the meantime Boris has threatened resignation and then walked back from the brink. So have in fact May and Boris sat down and split the difference ? And what does that do to the negotiations ? How does leaking a higher figure then announcing a lower one unblock anything ? Of course we have to wait for the actual speech but it all smacks of extraordinary chaos.

On which topic, this habit nowadays of bigging-up speeches weeks in advance does make me laugh (well cringe). If Mrs May has something to announce, why doesn't she just step out into Downing Street and say it, or announce it at a press conferences whilst on tour? - it's not like she lacks a platform.

I cannot see how all the speculation generated by the planned Florence speech is helping her (or our) cause one bit.
    Actually, I think it's a good thing.

IMO;

Political announcements / significant changes of policy /approach need to enter the public consciousness in order for our model of democratic government by consent to work properly.

The 24hr globalized newscycle, twitterisation of public discourse and death of objective journalism's business model means high profile, set-piece speeches are a good approach.

It cuts through, and it needs to.

It's the one thing (pretty much the only thing) that I like about TM's government.
  • SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    BoJo wants to be PM. He really DOES.

I begin to think he might do it. After writing him off for several years.
    Why does he want it?
    As others have said, he wants it because he's an alpha male. He doesn't want to change the world, he just wants the top job. He's turning (possibly and finally) from a dilettante journo into a real politician. He doesn't doubt how hard it will be, but his ambition is ravenous, and the prize is in sight.

God spare us from arrogant lazy fuckwits like Cameron who, in contrast, want to be PM "because I think I'd be rather good at it".

Some of the best politicians have been those who knew the top job was fucking hard, but ambition drove them there, anyway.

Napoleon. Bismarck. Augustus Caesar. Stalin.

They all knew why they wanted power and what to do with it. Boris doesn't. But he'll happily take down the Conservative party and the country to get it. What a top bloke he is.

• So the pre pre briefing on Florence was May would offer £30bn. Now the pre briefing is she's offering €20bn. In the meantime Boris has threatened resignation and then walked back from the brink. So have in fact May and Boris sat down and split the difference ? And what does that do to the negotiations ? How does leaking a higher figure then announcing a lower one unblock anything ? Of course we have to wait for the actual speech but it all smacks of extraordinary chaos.

Better still she could actually go to Parliament and make a statement to the MPs who are supposed to be the ultimate authority.
    The build up to this speech as she takes in Canada, the US, a cabinet meeting and then Florence should be political drama, especially with Boris keeping the focus on Brexit.

I think she will lay down the gauntlet to the EU, the labour party, and yes most remainers.

She has chosen very high stakes and lets all wait (patiently) and see and pass judgement post friday
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Why does he want it?
    As others have said, he wants it because he's an alpha male. He doesn't want to change the world, he just wants the top job. He's turning (possibly and finally) from a dilettante journo into a real politician. He doesn't doubt how hard it will be, but his ambition is ravenous, and the prize is in sight.

God spare us from arrogant lazy fuckwits like Cameron who, in contrast, want to be PM "because I think I'd be rather good at it".

Some of the best politicians have been those who knew the top job was fucking hard, but ambition drove them there, anyway.

Admittedly Boris is not a fool, which puts him far ahead of people like David Davis. But the recent track record of people longing for job and getting it is piss poor.

I am not sure the country is robust enough to weather a Boris ego trip.
  • stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    Looks like a media whipped up storm in a teacup to me.
  • Theresa should just resign and hand over the leadership to Boris. The poor woman has humiliated herself enough. It's a miserable spectacle.

I think you may be confounded later this week - we will see
  • philiph said:

philiph said:

I think you are describing politics in action.
    That's a very fair point @philiph but it confirms that we are still negotiating with ourselves. 6 months into the A50 period and we are still negotiating with ourselves.
    In part because the other side hadn't given a figure. Our intention of not naming a figure is a negotiating tactic.

Florence, assuming it names a figure, is to push them into a counter figure or agreement. Boris is right from a negotiating stance, start it low.

It's a time limited negotiation in which we have much more to lose than they do. The longer we mess around, the less scope we give ourselves to get the deal we need more than they do.

• So the pre pre briefing on Florence was May would offer £30bn. Now the pre briefing is she's offering €20bn. In the meantime Boris has threatened resignation and then walked back from the brink. So have in fact May and Boris sat down and split the difference ? And what does that do to the negotiations ? How does leaking a higher figure then announcing a lower one unblock anything ? Of course we have to wait for the actual speech but it all smacks of extraordinary chaos.

The build up to this speech as she takes in Canada, the US, a cabinet meeting and then Florence should be political drama, especially with Boris keeping the focus on Brexit.

I think she will lay down the gauntlet to the EU, the labour party, and yes most remainers.

She has chosen very high stakes and lets all wait (patiently) and see and pass judgement post friday
    May is broken and crushed. She doesn't have the authority to lay the gauntlet down to anyone.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Why does he want it?

They all knew why they wanted power and what to do with it. Boris doesn't. But he'll happily take down the Conservative party and the country to get it. What a top bloke he is.

Boris would have a vision that he could articulate. We may not like it. But he has one.

That is a start.
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Why does he want it?

Do you EVER stop whingeing? No offence, but fuck. Your Twitter feed is wrist-slittingly dreary and depressive.

Pop a xanax. Have a wank. Anything.

I am a patriot. I want my country to succeed. I don't want it laid low by a posh boy with too much testosterone and a vastly over-inflated sense of self-worth.

• SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Why does he want it?

Corbyn is missing from that list !!!!!

philiph said:

philiph said:

I think you are describing politics in action.
    That's a very fair point @philiph but it confirms that we are still negotiating with ourselves. 6 months into the A50 period and we are still negotiating with ourselves.
    In part because the other side hadn't given a figure. Our intention of not naming a figure is a negotiating tactic.

Florence, assuming it names a figure, is to push them into a counter figure or agreement. Boris is right from a negotiating stance, start it low.

It's a time limited negotiation in which we have much more to lose than they do. The longer we mess around, the less scope we give ourselves to get the deal we need more than they do.

Maybe, maybe not. Depends how and where you look.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Why does he want it?

They all knew they wanted power. But, what do with it?

Their careers are filled with knight's moves, tactical retreats, strange gambits, working through cats' paws.

• philiph said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Why does he want it?

Boris would have a vision that he could articulate. We may not like it. But he has one.

That is a start.

But he does not have the bollocks to challenge the weakest and worst Prime Minister this country has seen since the end of World War Two.

• SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Why does he want it?

Do you EVER stop whingeing? No offence, but fuck. Your Twitter feed is wrist-slittingly dreary and depressive.

Pop a xanax. Have a wank. Anything.

I am a patriot. I want my country to succeed. I don't want it laid low by a posh boy with too much testosterone and a vastly over-inflated sense of self-worth.

Sure. Good for you. It's just a bollock-shrinkingly dull and worthy and depressing set of opinions.

Ignore them, then. It's easy.

May is broken and crushed. She doesn't have the authority to lay the gauntlet down to anyone.
    That is your viewpoint not mine (yet)
  • philiph said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Why does he want it?

That is a start.

But he does not have the bollocks to challenge the weakest and worst Prime Minister this country has seen since the end of World War Two.

He'll be photographed holding a banana next.
  • Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Why does he want it?

Their careers are filled with knight's moves, tactical retreats, strange gambits, working through cats' paws.

And world-changing achievement.

She's just capitulated to Boris!!!!!

I was very surprised but even Beth Rigby (Sky) reported that TM has rediscovered her 'mojo'
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I don't think she is a good traveller. She always looks drawn and slow witted afterwards.

That is the interpretation you want to put on it - others including Sky are saying the opposite

1 you don't know that. Reports suggest. They may be right or wrong.
    2 it is only politics in action.
    3 apart from that a very incisive post.
  • Sean_F said:

When young people castigate baby boomers for enjoying a level of prosperity that is denied them, they implicitly mean upper middle class baby boomers. Lower middle, and working class baby boomers grew up in harsher conditions than prevail today.

Frankly, they haven't a clue what they mean.

I don't think she is a good traveller. She always looks drawn and slow witted afterwards.

Like Liverpool?
  • £30bn was a decent opening offer on a transitional deal to keep us in the SM in all but name for a few years. €20bn ( note change of currency ) isn't. May has just been bounced several notches along the Soft to Hard Brexit scale in just 4 days by a small coterie of ex Leave cabinet ministers in full public view. This isn't a major piece of domestic legislation or even an entire budget. It's the very fabric of our socioeconomic model being determined by the school bully beating up a weaker pupil. May has decided surviving Tory Party conference is more important than the future of the country. I'm struggling to think of a comparison in my political life time and can't. PMs often engage in huge rows but they fight. They win or they lose but they fight. Prime Ministers don't make enormous and substantial shifts like this after 4 days because pound shop Frank Underwood's like Boris pull stunts like this.

They are just beyond my political memory but we appear to be heading back to the 1970's. The 1970's without the social capital. Buckle up.
  • £30bn was a decent opening offer on a transitional deal

Wouldn't that be put to better use on our NHS?

I agree with you but in Canada and New York today she was more ascertive and the hesitation in her voice was not as obvious as previously. She did seem to be more confident than she has been but before anyone says I never speak against TM I do have concerns and agree that she will not lead at the next GE.

• Boris is more of a people person than Theresa
  • Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185

She has chosen very high stakes and lets all wait (patiently) and see and pass judgement post Friday

Do you think the EU care whether there is a deal or not because which country is it that will suffer the most if there isn't one? Our negotiators should be working on the basis that we should take what we can get and be grateful for it. The only gauntlet being laid down is landing on to those stupid enough to think we are in any way able to blag a deal that others might wish to have.
    philiph said:

Like Liverpool?
    Be fair. They look like that at home too!

£30bn was a decent opening offer on a transitional deal to keep us in the SM in all but name for a few years. €20bn ( note change of currency ) isn't. May has just been bounced several notches along the Soft to Hard Brexit scale in just 4 days by a small coterie of ex Leave cabinet ministers in full public view. This isn't a major piece of domestic legislation or even an entire budget. It's the very fabric of our socioeconomic model being determined by the school bully beating up a weaker pupil. May has decided surviving Tory Party conference is more important than the future of the country. I'm struggling to think of a comparison in my political life time and can't. PMs often engage in huge rows but they fight. They win or they lose but they fight. Prime Ministers don't make enormous and substantial shifts like this after 4 days because pound shop Frank Underwood's like Boris pull stunts like this.

They are just beyond my political memory but we appear to be heading back to the 1970's. The 1970's without the social capital. Buckle up.

And the justification for saying 30 billion was a decent opening offer is where and what?

Opinion?
  • SeanT said:

That is the interpretation you want to put on it - others including Sky are saying the opposite
    She is doomed. The mouse in a Cabinet of cats who are prepared to wait for their next meal. You never come back after a mistake like that general election.
    Not yet - she will take us to Brexit
    Boris is not Churchill he is a very naughty boy.
  • Boris is more of a people person than Theresa

Agreed
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    edited September 2017
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Why does he want it?

Cameron had absolutely no vision of Britain apart from Blairism with a bit more capitalism, and a Britain which he would run rather well, because he was rather good at that sort of thing, being rather a smart chap, who went to rather a good school, and had rather a posh wife. And arguably he made rather the greatest political career mistake in centuries - in his own terms - so he turned out to be rather a tragicomic twat.

It would be impossible for the ambitious Boris to do WORSE.

I suspect Bozza would do rather better. The first Brexit PM. He'd cheer us all up (except Southam) and we would remember that, fuck, we actually are one of the very greatest nations on this earth, and we can do better than Theresa fucking May (or Jeremy bloody Corbyn).

Wealth is a wonderful thing. It buys you the luxury of being cheered up by a catchy turn of phrase, a well-placed quote in Latin, a silly photograph. A bit further down the scale, though, these things quickly lose their appeal if the public services you rely on are being continually cut and your standard of living just keeps on falling. Boris could quite easily beat Corbyn, who remains a huge liability for Labour, but in doing so he may well be the last Tory PM the country sees for a generation. I'll be watching from afar.

• philiph said:

£30bn was a decent opening offer on a transitional deal to keep us in the SM in all but name for a few years. €20bn ( note change of currency ) isn't. May has just been bounced several notches along the Soft to Hard Brexit scale in just 4 days by a small coterie of ex Leave cabinet ministers in full public view. This isn't a major piece of domestic legislation or even an entire budget. It's the very fabric of our socioeconomic model being determined by the school bully beating up a weaker pupil. May has decided surviving Tory Party conference is more important than the future of the country. I'm struggling to think of a comparison in my political life time and can't. PMs often engage in huge rows but they fight. They win or they lose but they fight. Prime Ministers don't make enormous and substantial shifts like this after 4 days because pound shop Frank Underwood's like Boris pull stunts like this.

And the justification for saying 30 billion was a decent opening offer is where and what?

Opinion?
    Because £30bn for three years of a ' membership in all but name ' transition is remarkably similar to what we pay for full membership for 3 years. It was a realistic offer. €20bn isn't.
  • Ally_B said:

She has chosen very high stakes and lets all wait (patiently) and see and pass judgement post Friday

Do you think the EU care whether there is a deal or not because which country is it that will suffer the most if there isn't one? Our negotiators should be working on the basis that we should take what we can get and be grateful for it. The only gauntlet being laid down is landing on to those stupid enough to think we are in any way able to blag a deal that others might wish to have.
    The point about the Florence speech is the world wide media attention that it will receive and there are EU Countries who want to get a deal and the commission will need to consider carefully their response in light of the fact they want to punish us

If it is rejected well so be it but TM is now taking the matter on as Head of State and it maybe a gamble but it could just work

philiph said:

Opinion?
    Because £30bn for three years of a ' membership in all but name ' transition is remarkably similar to what we pay for full membership for 3 years. It was a realistic offer. €20bn isn't.
    Assumptions on the length of transition.
    We will have diminishing membership, so should negotiate diminishing fees.
    edited September 2017
    philiph said:

Like Liverpool?
    Now that you mention it, it was an enjoyable match. A real game of two halves. Some of our peripheral players will be causing selection headaches.

I reckon 3 points for us on Saturday. Liverpool heads went down too easily.
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Why does he want it?

Cameron tragicomic twat.

It would be impossible for the ambitious Boris to do WORSE.

I suspect Bozza would do rather better. The first Brexit PM. He'd cheer us all up (except Southam) and we would remember that, fuck, we actually are one of the very greatest nations on this earth, and we can do better than Theresa fucking May (or Jeremy bloody Corbyn).

Wealth is a wonderful thing. It buys you the ability to be cheered up by a catchy turn of phrase, a well-placed quote in Latin, a silly photograph. A bit further down the scale, though, these things quickly lose their appeal if the public services you rely on are being continually cut and your standard of living just keeps on falling. Boris could quite easily beat Corbyn, who remains a huge liability for Labour, but in doing so he may well be the last Tory PM the country sees for a generation. I'll be watching from afar.

You're emigrating?! lol. Bye.

Nope. I'll be watching from afar. I am not emigrating. Why would I?

• Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237

Ally_B said:

The point about the Florence speech is the world wide media attention that it will receive and there are EU Countries who want to get a deal and the commission will need to consider carefully their response in light of the fact they want to punish us

If it is rejected well so be it but TM is now taking the matter on as Head of State and it maybe a gamble but it could just work
    Have I missed news of a coup?
  • Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited September 2017

As I understand it Trump "totally destroying" DPRK is as big a fantasy as hard Brexit with Europe giving in to our "reasonable" demands. The US cant fire its ICBMs - Russia and China not minded to wait for apogee to see if they are getting hit. It can't accurately use air-dropped nukes and guarantee getting Kim's launchers. It can't go after DPRK at all without risking nuclear strikes on Seoul or Tokyo or perhaps L.A.

In short it's Trump demonstrating to the world what an impotent fuck he really is

Take away the means to organise a launch of a nuclear weapon and you take away its usefulness. The North Koreans have known weakness in their 4CI structure, never mind the technology and its limited availability. If it came to it, the US task isn't actually that complicated, its tough but not complicated.

Whilst there are no good options as in any military action is considered bad, the options on the US and South Korean tables short of high visibility strikes to damage the North Korean nuclear program do exist. They are high risk, with the biggest danger in the grand politics being public embarassment. They are doable.

What the South Koreans have already assessed that doesn't seem to get a mention is that North Korea doesn't just want effective nuclear capability for its own survival, it wants it to pro-actively threaten the South. This is what makes the situation somewhat different.

The Tories can never do anything right if you are to be believed...

Hard to take anything you say seriously after your earlier claim that someone who was brought up by a single mum in a council flat had a life of privilege.
  • philiph said:

Like Liverpool?
    Now that you mention it, it was an enjoyable match. A real game of two halves. Some of our peripheral players will be causing selection headaches.

Ox Chamberlain is so overated - hope you win on Saturday
  • philiph said:

philiph said:

Opinion?
    No Philip. It's not an assumption. It was what May herself was pre briefing. Her ' We'll pay you almost what we do now for almost what we get now for 3 years ' is the first internally coherent thing a British government minister has said on the subject since Referendum Day.

Then as soon as she makes an internally coherent move she's Nuked from Orbit by the ' Cake and Eat It ' cult in the form of Boris' 4200 word pastiche of the most florid aspects of last year's Leave campaign.

Then hey presto. It's €20bn not £30bn. Which will buy us something but not 3 years of ultra soft transition. Boris has rolled her over from Swiss to Canadian models in 4 days.
    Boris is yesterday's man. You get about ten years in the public eye before the public tires of you and you have to leave. If you're very good you can eek it out a bit. But ten is the limit of the happy days.

Boris Johnson is on nine. The Tory party would be mad to pick him
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,590

...TM is now taking the matter on as Head of State...

TM is the Head of Government. The Queen is the Head of State.

• MP_SE2 said:

Hard to take anything you say seriously after your earlier claim that someone who was brought up by a single mum in a council flat had a life of privilege.

I did not say that Davis had had a life of privilege. I said he is privileged now, which he is.

philiph said:

Like Liverpool?

His departure seems to have heralded an upturn at the Emirates and a downturn at LFC? Coincidence?

MP_SE2 said:

I did not say that Davis had had a life of privilege. I said he is privileged now, which he is.
    Davis' privilege is not the problem. The problem is that he is useless.

philiph said:

philiph said:

Opinion?
    No Philip. It's not an assumption. It was what May herself was pre briefing. Her ' We'll pay you almost what we do now for almost what we get now for 3 years ' is the first internally coherent thing a British government minister has said on the subject since Referendum Day.

Then as soon as she makes an internally coherent move she's Nuked from Orbit by the ' Cake and Eat It ' cult in the form of Boris' 4200 word pastiche of the most florid aspects of last year's Leave campaign.

Then hey presto. It's €20bn not £30bn. Which will buy us something but not 3 years of ultra soft transition. Boris has rolled her over from Swiss to Canadian models in 4 days.
    Transition only exists as part of a deal. It needs to be clear what the transition is towards.

In the absence of a goal, there is no path.

philiph said:

philiph said:

Opinion?

I've seen lots of opinion and leaders written about what she might say. Direct briefing from her has passed me by.
  • Jonathan said:

MP_SE2 said:

Yes - but his privilege protects him from the consequences of that.

philiph said:

philiph said:

Opinion?

Transition only exists as part of a deal. It needs to be clear what the transition is towards.

I beg to differ.

In the absence of a goal there is an Everton fan.
  • The Russian central bank has just taken control of another large commercial bank. A full blown financial crisis seems to be on the way.

It's perhaps worth better against Putin retaining power after next year.
  • philiph said:

philiph said:

Opinion?

I'd argue Transition is a substitute for a goal. We've no idea where we are heading so we want an Airbag or bottle of methadone to cushion to blow. We're calling that Transition because it implies a final destination we don't have and sounds better than Airbag/Methadone.

Jonathan said:

MP_SE2 said:

But what protects us?
  • philiph said:

philiph said:

Opinion?

I don't recall reading her briefing three years transition. I've always thought the transition was going to be 2 years which:

1: Conveniently takes us to the end of this multi-year budget period with the EU.
    2: Ends the transition clearly before a 2022 General Election.
    3: Matches what the EU side have suggested the length of a transitional period should be.
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Boris is yesterday's man. You get about ten years in the public eye before the public tires of you and you have to leave. If you're very good you can eek it out a bit. But ten is the limit of the happy days.

A fair point, but recall who he'll be facing

Sturgeon: utterly time-worn, probably massively unpopular by 2022

Corbyn, ditto, his mad uncle in a vest shtick will be hugely laughable by 2022, plus he'll be VERY OLD

Cable. FFS he's already 74 NOW

UKIP: who cares, they are dead, because Brexit

In contrast Bojo would still appear relatively youthful, and he'll still be witty.

I reckon he'd win it at a canter.

The risk is that Labour might replace Corbyn with someone madly leftwing but electable like Thornberry (and I'd like to remind PB-ers that I cited her chances years ago, when she was ultra obscure)

So he's got a good chance. Remember Churchill had been in the public eye for decades, yet he became the best PM ever at age zillion
    Boris may think he's Churchill but he's not. When his pastiche rhetoric fails to deliver progress he'll be hated like all the other pols that outstay their welcome.

You get ten years and that's it. No better rule in politics. I stand by it. Boris is the wrong man.
  • The Russian central bank has just taken control of another large commercial bank. A full blown financial crisis seems to be on the way.

It's perhaps worth better against Putin retaining power after next year.

No way.

There is no realistic alternative to Putin and a full blown crisis would just lead to him becoming more authoritarian and even more in control.
  • I did not say that Davis had had a life of privilege. I said he is privileged now, which he is.

Yes but your point was that somehow that was relevant to his position on Brexit, because as you put it he was insulated from the effect of Brexit on ordinary people. You never got round to explaining why the same wasn't true in the diametrically opposite sense of Sir Keir Starmer, or, to an even greater extent, of Nick Clegg and David Cameron.

Or,. to put it more bluntly you were just showing blind one-sided prejudice, and for some odd reason had extended this even to DD, who is about the last person in a high position in public life who could be accused of being out of touch because of his wealth and privilege. He's not like Harriet Harman or Emily Thornberry, for example.
  • Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

MP_SE2 said:

On which topic, this habit nowadays of bigging-up speeches ress conferences whilst on tour? - it's not like she lacks a platform.

But what protects us?

Our privilege. It's the poor sods further down the ladder who'll be hammered.

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Corbyn, ditto, his mad uncle in a vest shtick will be hugely laughable by 2022, plus he'll be VERY OLD

In contrast Bojo would still appear relatively youthful, and he'll still be witty.

The risk is that Labour might replace Corbyn with someone madly leftwing but electable like Thornberry (and I'd like to remind PB-ers that I cited her chances years ago, when she was ultra obscure)

So he's got a good chance. Remember Churchill had been in the public eye for decades, yet he became the best PM ever at age zillion
    Every prediction made about Jezza has been wrong. Mad uncle in a vest versus serial overweight philanderer in sweaty jogging gear might be closer than you think.

And no, that does not mean I am advocating the extermination of the Kulaks.

I am merely questioning your assumptions.

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

MP_SE2 said:

So the pre pre briefing on Florence was May would offer £30bn. Now the pre briefing is she's offering €20bn. In the meantime Boris ve in fact May and Boris sat down and split the difference ? And what does that do to the negotiations ? How does leaking a higher figure then announcing a lower one unblock anything ? Of course we have to wait for the actual speech but it all smacks of extraordinary chaos.

On which topic, this habit nowadays of bigging-up speeches ress conferences whilst on tour? - it's not like she lacks a platform.

But what protects us?

Our privilege. It's the poor sods further down the ladder who'll be hammered.

They are already been hammered.
    They may get a change of hammer. Heavier or lighter who knows.
  • Ally_B said:

Wow I hope you've never had to conduct a negotiation.
  • Meanwhile, the newspaper which Leavers love to hate has today run some astonishingly positive articles about Theresa May's initiatives to tackle Modern Slavery:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/modern-slavery/theresa-mays-urgent-message-to-londoners-look-out-for-the-signs-of-slavery-in-your-community-a3638191.html

Even the editorial is rather friendly to the PM:

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-pm-s-action-on-modern-slavery-deserves-credit-a3638276.html

What is going on?
  • viewcode said:

...TM is now taking the matter on as Head of State...

TM is the Head of Government. The Queen is the Head of State.

Yes - quite right
    dixiedean said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Every prediction made about Jezza has been wrong. Mad uncle in a vest versus serial overweight philanderer in sweaty jogging gear might be closer than you think.

In the same way that not every prediction about jezza will always be wrong?
  • dixiedean said:

philiph said:

Like Liverpool?

His departure seems to have heralded an upturn at the Emirates and a downturn at LFC? Coincidence?
    Is Klopp heading for trouble
  • PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Boris may think he's Churchill but he's not. When his pastiche rhetoric fails to deliver progress he'll be hated like all the other pols that outstay their welcome.

You get ten years and that's it. No better rule in politics. I stand by it. Boris is the wrong man.
    He may be the wrong man but is anyone else less wrong? It is a paradox that when two party dominance greater than at any time since 1970 both parties present such an inadequate offering.
    philiph said:

dixiedean said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

In the same way that not every prediction about jezza will always be wrong?
    No. But it is worth consideration.

Meanwhile, the newspaper which Leavers love to hate has today run some astonishingly positive articles about Theresa May's initiatives to tackle Modern Slavery:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/modern-slavery/theresa-mays-urgent-message-to-londoners-look-out-for-the-signs-of-slavery-in-your-community-a3638191.html

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-pm-s-action-on-modern-slavery-deserves-credit-a3638276.html

What is going on?

I think there was some sort of mea culpa regarding the freezer comments.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2017
    philiph said:

Meanwhile, the newspaper which Leavers love to hate has today run some astonishingly positive articles about Theresa May's initiatives to tackle Modern Slavery:

What is going on?

Ah, good point.

On the substance, Osborne is right. Theresa May does deserve a lot of credit for identifying this problem early on, and doing something about it when everyone else was scoffing. Like many people, I initially thought the 2015 Modern Slavery Act was an exaggerated response to a minor problem. I was wrong.
  • Meanwhile, the newspaper which Leavers love to hate has today run some astonishingly positive articles about Theresa May's initiatives to tackle Modern Slavery:

What is going on?

The party conference and George wants to go

dixiedean said:

philiph said:

Like Liverpool?

Is Klopp heading for trouble
    I dunno. Klopp has charmed the Press by being quotable and approachable. The LFC mafia who set the agenda on so much football chat treat him as if he is a re-incarnation of Bob Paisley.

His record is, however, worse than Brendan Rodgers', The penny must drop at some point.
  • SeanT said:

MP_SE2 said:

So the prs of extraordinary chaos.

Hard to takea life of privilege.

Fucking idiotic, and offensive, to boot.

Davis might or might not be a good Brexit minister, but there's no denying he fought his way from a deeply humble position, to a great political career, via military service AND serious business success.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Davis_(British_politician)

What more could you ask of a politician than that backstory? Should they be born from the union of goats and lizards, then land on the moon, and win the Nobel Prize for abstract sculpture, before entering the Commons?

In terms of defeating his difficult background, Davis outranks any major politician in either of the big parties, I suspect. He also makes people like you and me look like chancers

I am a chancer. I've been immensely lucky. Just like David Davis my luck is far greater than my ability. You have genuine talent.

What is going on?

And get out alive.

What is going on?

And get out alive.
    It's OK, Mrs May doesn't have a freezer big enough for both Boris and George.
  • I did not say that Davis had had a life of privilege. I said he is privileged now, which he is.

Yes but your point was that somehow that was relevant to his position on Brexit, because as you put it he was insulated from the effect of Brexit on ordinary people. You never got round to explaining why the same wasn't true in the diametrically opposite sense of Sir Keir Starmer, or, to an even greater extent, of Nick Clegg and David Cameron.

Or,. to put it more bluntly you were just showing blind one-sided prejudice, and for some odd reason had extended this even to DD, who is about the last person in a high position in public life who could be accused of being out of touch because of his wealth and privilege. He's not like Harriet Harman or Emily Thornberry, for example.

No, I agreed that Clegg and Starmer (and Corbyn) were just as shielded from the real world.

• Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2017

No, I agreed that Clegg and Starmer (and Corbyn) were just as shielded from the real world.

And yet you don't seem to think they are therefore disqualified from having an opinion on Brexit, whereas you do think DD (with his much less degree of wealth and privilege) is.

One-sided, much?
  • No, I agreed that Clegg and Starmer (and Corbyn) were just as shielded from the real world.

And yet you don't seem to think they are therefore disqualified from having an opinion on Brexit, whereas you do think DD (with his much less degree of wealth and privilege) is.

One-sided, much?

Nope, I think he's absolutely entitled to his opinion.

• Anyway bed time. G'night all.
  • The United Kingdom (UK) remains the most significant market for businesses in Northern Ireland – sales to Great Britain were worth one and a half times the value of all Northern Ireland exports and nearly four times the value of exports to Ireland in 2015

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/638215/Additional_Data_Paper_-_Northern_Ireland_Trade_Data_and_Statistics__2_.pdf
  • Really?

George Osborne should be given a place in the Government, a close ally and ex-political secretary of the former Chancellor has told The Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/19/allies-urge-theresa-may-bring-george-osborne-back-amid-furious/
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2017
    Paul Joseph Watson.

Whether you agree with him or not, he's becoming impossible to ignore.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Boris is more of a people person than Theresa

Sheldon Cooper is more of a people person than Theresa.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2017
    Greetings from Seattle, my first time here. Raining of course. Any advice on interesting things to do would be much appreciated.
  • I am left wondering, who has come out of this situation more damaged - Boris Johnson or T May?
  • philiph said:

What is going on?

Ah, good point.

On the substance, Osborne is right. Theresa May does deserve a lot of credit for identifying this problem early on, and doing something about it when everyone else was scoffing. Like many people, I initially thought the 2015 Modern Slavery Act was an exaggerated response to a minor problem. I was wrong.
    The Modern Slavery Act is already causing costs and aggravation for businesses.

But we now live in a Britain of slavery and shanty towns.

"Things can only get better"

stevef said:

A Swiss Brexit would be good reason to resign since it would mean that we were still under the control of the EU despite not being a member, we would still not have control of our borders despite not being a member, we were still subject to EU laws despite being not being amember. We would be in the EU in all but name despite Brexit. It would be a betrayal of the referendum result.

On the contrary, it perfectly reflects the narrow vote to leave.
    No it doesnt because you cannot be 52% in the EU and 48% out. The majority voted to end the EU control over the UK and to give the UK control of its own borders. As Churchill said of narrow votes "One vote is enough".

philiph said:

What is going on?

Ah, good point.

The Modern Slavery Act is already causing costs and aggravation for businesses.

But we now live in a Britain of slavery and shanty towns.

"Things can only get better"
    That doesnt figure Corbyn into the equation. Things can definitely get a lot worse.
This discussion has been closed.