Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The front page of Private Eye captures the political mood perf

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited September 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The front page of Private Eye captures the political mood perfectly

*grudging standing ovation for @PrivateEyeNews* pic.twitter.com/5fGCLStlGf

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,738
    First out the door.
  • Options
    Second like remain
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

chrisoxon said:

The Minister for Winging It is being found out. David Davis had years to learn how the EU works, to understand how complex leaving would be and to research what dynamics drive international trade agreements. But he could not be bothered. He found it much more agreeable to wave Union Jacks and to talk airily about the tyranny of Brussels.

What seems to unite the right-wing Brexit elite is a complete aversion to detail, hard work and preparation. The UK will pay the price economically and in terms of our global standing. If you give power to plastic patriots shielded from real life by wealth and privilege that's what happens.

I'm confused now. You're saying that all Brexiteers are wealthy and privileged, while @williamglenn says we're all stupid and poor?

Could it maybe be that people of all backgrounds voted were split between both sides last year and that while there are some trends, drawing a crude caricature of supporters is a dumb idea?
    A point well made.

Brexiteers can't simultaneously be privileged folks who are shielded from the consequences from their votes, and at the same time thick and poor.
    FPT: A distinction must be made between the Brexit Elite - a coterie of moneyed posh boys who loathe the dynamism and egalitarianism that EU membership brings and long for a return to the Ealing Britain of the 1950s when they were in charge - and the poor, wretched masses they duped into voting for their own doom.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited September 2017
    Mrs May should demote Boris to Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at Culture, Media and Sport.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    edited September 2017
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Is 2.5 still value, d'you think?

Edited extra bit: Ladbrokes also has 3.75 for him to not be FS on 25 September.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Sean_F said:

chrisoxon said:

The Minister for Winging It is being found out. David Davis had years to learn how the EU works, to understand how complex leaving would be and to research what dynamics drive international trade agreements. But he could not be bothered. He found it much more agreeable to wave Union Jacks and to talk airily about the tyranny of Brussels.

What seems to unite the right-wing Brexit elite is a complete aversion to detail, hard work and preparation. The UK will pay the price economically and in terms of our global standing. If you give power to plastic patriots shielded from real life by wealth and privilege that's what happens.

I'm confused now. You're saying that all Brexiteers are wealthy and privileged, while @williamglenn says we're all stupid and poor?

Could it maybe be that people of all backgrounds voted were split between both sides last year and that while there are some trends, drawing a crude caricature of supporters is a dumb idea?
    A point well made.

Brexiteers can't simultaneously be privileged folks who are shielded from the consequences from their votes, and at the same time thick and poor.
    FPT: A distinction must be made between the Brexit Elite - a coterie of moneyed posh boys who loathe the dynamism and egalitarianism that EU membership brings and long for a return to the Ealing Britain of the 1950s when they were in charge - and the poor, wretched masses they duped into voting for their own doom.
    Unlike the Bremain Elite - a coterie of moneyed posh boys who love the well-paid sinecures that EU membership brings.

The accursed power which stands on Privilege
    (And goes with Women, and Champagne, and Bridge)
    Broke - and Democracy resumed her reign:
    (Which goes with Bridge, and Women and Champagne).
  • Options
    Forget the bloody name-calling and talk about practicalities. If Brexit types want WTO then we have the small hurdle to overcome of we don't have the time needed to set up for it. Give me detail of how we overcome the very real barriers not rhetoric and abuse.
  • Options
    If Boris is intending to flounce as a calculated step on his great mission to endow us with a Prime Minister christened Alexander Boris de Pfeffel, then if he's doing it right he won't be acting alone. He'll have some cabinet co-flouncers, and he'll have backbench and minister-of-state level MPs primed and ready to get the bandwagon rolling.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    edited September 2017
    Any market's on when former peace loving exile and now blood-thirsty warlord Aung San Suu Kyi be stripped of her Nobel Peace Prize? :D
  • Options

If Boris is intending to flounce as a calculated step on his great mission to endow us with a Prime Minister christened Alexander Boris de Pfeffel, then if he's doing it right he won't be acting alone. He'll have some cabinet co-flouncers, and he'll have backbench and minister-of-state level MPs primed and ready to get the bandwagon rolling.

I remember the night that pillock Purnell flounced out of Brown's cabinet expecting a similar phalanx of supporters to flounce with him.

He's still waiting...
  • Options

I remember the night that pillock Purnell flounced out of Brown's cabinet expecting a similar phalanx of supporters to flounce with him.

He's still waiting...
    Yes, exactly. These things need careful planning.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,692
    edited September 2017

He's still waiting...
    Yes, exactly. These things need careful planning.
    That probably rules Boris out then.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

He's still waiting...
    Brown was bloody scary. TMay, less so.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

Forget the bloody name-calling and talk about practicalities. If Brexit types want WTO then we have the small hurdle to overcome of we don't have the time needed to set up for it. Give me detail of how we overcome the very real barriers not rhetoric and abuse.

Agreed.

My suggestion would be that, in the unlikely event of us not having a short more of the same transition deal, we'd go zero tariffs/importer certification on all foods. Food riots are not going to happen.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    edited September 2017
    Here's what Speaker B said to Aung San Suu Kyi when she addressed both house's of Parliamenet in 2012;

"This Hall has hosted many events over the past 900 years. In recent times only a few international figures - Charles de Gaulle, Nelson Mandela, Pope Benedict XVI and Barack Obama - have spoken here. Today Daw Aung San Suu Kyi will become the first figure other than a Head of State, the first woman from abroad and the first citizen of Asia to do so.

This is not a break from precedent without a purpose. The courage of our guest is legendary. She has withstood the unimaginable suffering of separation from her family and her people with a dignity, fortitude and resolve which most of us can barely conceive. Her connections with the United Kingdom, reinforced in Oxford yesterday, are intimate. She has been the symbol of resistance to a regime which even in an imperfect world has been exceptional in its barbarity. As the UN has documented, and from three trips to Burma's borders I can myself attest, this is a cabal guilty of rape as a weapon of war, extra-judicial killings, compulsory relocation, forced labour, deployment of child soldiers, use of human minesweepers, incarceration of opponents in unspeakable conditions, destruction of villages, obstruction of aid and excruciating torture. Burma has become a beautiful but benighted land where fear runs through society like blood flowing through veins. One woman has now defied a dictatorship of such depravity for two decades. That is why Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, a leader and a stateswoman, is here with us this afternoon.

However, there is room for cautious optimism. The recent election to Parliament of our guest, accompanied by 42 of her colleagues, and the release of many political prisoners are welcome signs of reform. We earnestly hope that further, and fundamental, reform will ultimately lead to the freedom, democracy and rule of law which we have so long enjoyed and the people of Burma have too long been denied. There is an Asian saying that a journey of a thousand miles must start with a single step. We are proud that one such step will be taken in this Parliament today.

Parliamentary colleagues, ladies and gentlemen, it is my privilege to welcome the conscience of a country and a heroine for humanity, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi."

http://www.johnbercow.co.uk/content/speakers-address-daw-aung-san-suu-kyi

Things might get a tad "embarrassing" if she doesn't start towing the line soon... ;)
  • Options

I take it that he won't be making the mistake of relying on Michael Gove for a second time.
  • Options

I don't think so, actually. When it comes to career progression, Boris has planned ahead quite carefully and skilfully.
  • Options

I take it that he won't be making the mistake of relying on Michael Gove for a second time.

Not if he's got any sense.
  • Options

I don't think so, actually. When it comes to career progression, Boris has planned ahead quite carefully and skilfully.
    He's not planning his career; he's planning his obituary.
  • Options

We can assume that whatever Boris Johnson is doing now has been carefully planned over the summer.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Agreed.

My suggestion would be that, in the unlikely event of us not having a short more of the same transition deal, we'd go zero tariffs/importer certification on all foods. Food riots are not going to happen.
    Brexit = no food riots. Phew, that's a relief then!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Agreed.

You might avoid food riots but you'd get a few tractor blockades on the motorways I guess. Farmers would be bankrupted overnight.
  • Options

We can assume that whatever Boris Johnson is doing now has been carefully planned over the summer.

Mmmm - he didn't plan his post-Brexit ascension so well.
  • Options

It was all planned perfectly. It all went wrong when he won the referedum by mistake.
  • Options
    Sigh - the political timing of the last few years has been so damned fcuked up.

Boris as leader after Cameron, fighting a post-Remain GE in 2020: Tory Maj nailed on.

Boris as leader after Cameron, fighting a post-Leave GE in 2017: Tory Maj probable.

Boris as leader after May, fighting a peri-Brexit GE in 2018/19/20: PM Corbyn probable.

We're well into the point of diminishing returns... but who can do better?
  • Options

He'd been rather busier beforehand.
  • Options
    If Boris does flounce, I expect him to do it just *after* the Florence speech, i.e. in response to it, so in that sense over the weekend would make sense.

It would set him up for Tory conference, or make him a pariah, and it's difficult to know what the reaction would be. Would he really want to do it before, or actually during (for even more drama) or just after?

That said, I can also believe the rumours that it's his enemies putting it about that he's going to resign by the end of the week, forcing him to put up or shut up.

In which case, he will do neither.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

chrisoxon said:

A point well made.

Got it. Anyone who voted for Brexit had no good reason to do so, and are confused and morally compromised people.
  • Options

Yet he mucked up last time, didn't he?

I quite like Boris as a person. He provides some much-needed light relief in politics. But I'm far from sure that someone who wants the job quite as much as he does, that has shown so little competence in the roles he has had, and who was so spectacularly shafted the previous time he went for the top job, should be allowed another chance.

I'm also far from sure he's up to it. Then again, there are not too many potential candidates on the Conservative benches who are ...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Agreed.

From the way some were talking about it on the previous thread, they were making it sound like the EU would succeed where the U-boats failed in 1942.
  • Options

But, if Michael Gove wants to be leader (and I think he does) he's going to have to avoid making the same mistakes again himself, and show he can be trusted.

Personally, I think he can't resist playing politics (with a small "p") and that will prevent him ever getting to the top.
  • Options
    Perhaps others can fill me in but I really struggle to believe (given her history and well-documented personal integrity) that Aung San Suu Kyi is complicit in war crimes.

How do we know the military aren't pulling the strings and trying to soil her name?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009

Mortimer said:

Agreed.

Brexit = no food riots. Phew, that's a relief then!
    Remember, "not that bad" is now the absolute upper limit of the leavers' expectations for their project.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Mortimer said:

Agreed.

You might avoid food riots but you'd get a few tractor blockades on the motorways I guess. Farmers would be bankrupted overnight.
    You don't think it will be the like the Britain depicted in The Wargame?
  • Options

But, if Michael Gove wants to be leader (and I think he does) he's going to have to avoid making the same mistakes again himself, and show he can be trusted.

Personally, I think he can't resist playing politics (with a small "p") and that will prevent him ever getting to the top.
    My own view is that some of the people who are continually marked out for the top job don't actually want it; however people thinking they do might help them in their various aims. An example of this is Osborne, who I really don't think wanted to be PM.

Gove might be the same. I'm unsure he really wants the top job, but the talk of the potential gives him a certain amount of power and influence within and outwith the party.

On the other hand, I get the impression that BoJo really wants the top job.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited September 2017

#boris4PM

• Options

Mortimer said:

Agreed.

From the way some were talking about it on the previous thread, they were making it sound like the EU would succeed where the U-boats failed in 1942.
    Ha. Indeed.

Despite the twisting of the historical facts yesterday, Remainers doom mongering about Brexit forget that we don't tend to surrender to bullying by third parties...
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, for what it's worth, that's my reading. If she wanted to try and stop it, that would put her against the military, who remain powerful, and many Burmese people. It's hard to say how she thinks that would turn out, or how it would in reality.

For the military, she's acting as a lightning rod for international condemnation.
  • Options

Perhaps others can fill me in but I really struggle to believe (given her history and well-documented personal integrity) that Aung San Suu Kyi is complicit in war crimes.

How do we know the military aren't pulling the strings and trying to soil her name?

I asked a similar question a couple of weeks back, and Dr Sox gave an interesting link that gave a little perspective on the situation.

But at the end of the day, if you are the leader then you are responsible. It is happening in her name. If she cannot control what her own military is doing, she should just resign and make it clear that she has no control.

It's perfectly possible that she becomes the first recipient of the peace prize to appear at the Hague.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Agreed.

Ha. Indeed.

Despite the twisting of the historical facts yesterday, Remainers doom mongering about Brexit forget that we don't tend to surrender to bullying by third parties...
    Is that why we still control the Suez canal?
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, but if she did resign, who would take over? It could precipitate the collapse of the (partial) democracy Burma now has.

As Syria/Iraq/Libya has taught us, even very bad situations can become much worse.
  • Options
    My take on Boris;

May is not going for a Swiss style Brexit, but a Canada Plus one. I.e. Exactly as elucidated in Lancaster House speech.

Boris is putting down his red lines to demonstrate a) he is influential and b) Hammond (surely his main rival for the leadership, now) is less so

• Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Agreed.

Ha. Indeed.

Is that why we still control the Suez canal?
    Remind me when the Suez Canal was located in Europe?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Agreed.

Ha. Indeed.

What would 'not surrendering' look like in this instance?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Agreed.

Ha. Indeed.

Not giving in to such shenanigans as 'tell us how much you want to pay us for Leaving, and it better be in the high tens of billions, and you're not going to know what that money buys you'.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Yet he mucked up last time, didn't he?

I quite like Boris as a person. He provides some much-needed light relief in politics. But I'm far from sure that someone who wants the job quite as much as he does, that has shown so little competence in the roles he has had, and who was so spectacularly shafted the previous time he went for the top job, should be allowed another chance.

I'm also far from sure he's up to it. Then again, there are not too many potential candidates on the Conservative benches who are ...
    I think it depends on what type of PM you are going to be.

He is good at the communications, the vision the big picture, not so keen on the detail.

If he is good or bad would be decided by the people he places in important positions who will implement policy, and how they are allowed to do so.

If he is going to be hands on, micromanage and detail obsessed, then forget it, that isn't him.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

My take on Boris;

May is not going for a Swiss style Brexit, but a Canada Plus one. I.e. Exactly as elucidated in Lancaster House speech.

Boris is putting down his red lines to demonstrate a) he is influential and b) Hammond (surely his main rival for the leadership, now) is less so

She is going for (IMHO) big payment (probably £9bn net payment or so over 3 years from 2019-2022, very similar to now, plus another £12bn upfront) for a transition period to GE2022, a commitment to shadow EU regulation for that period, and a commitment to not "dump" tax or regulation to undercut the EU in the longer-run.

In other words, kicking the can down the road and saving the real negotiations on the deal to take effect post GE2022 for later.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Agreed.

Ha. Indeed.

And on the other side of the coin, it also suggests to me that more blame will be put at the feet of the EU than anyone else.
  • Options

I asked a similar question a couple of weeks back, and Dr Sox gave an interesting link that gave a little perspective on the situation.

But at the end of the day, if you are the leader then you are responsible. It is happening in her name. If she cannot control what her own military is doing, she should just resign and make it clear that she has no control.

It's perfectly possible that she becomes the first recipient of the peace prize to appear at the Hague.
    Maybe she should, but I suspect it's not as simple as that in Burma.
  • Options

My own view is that some of the people who are continually marked out for the top job don't actually want it; however people thinking they do might help them in their various aims. An example of this is Osborne, who I really don't think wanted to be PM.

Gove might be the same. I'm unsure he really wants the top job, but the talk of the potential gives him a certain amount of power and influence within and outwith the party.

I think George Osborne absolutely wanted to be PM, had it all lined up, and thought it slipped through his fingers for reasons beyond his control.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Agreed.

You don't think it will be the like the Britain depicted in The Wargame?
    Threads.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, he should've hung around in Parliament. Even if May's 2017 election had gone well, she wasn't going to be there forever and Osborne had plenty of time to wait.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

My take on Boris;

She is going for (IMHO) big payment (probably £9bn net payment or so over 3 years from 2019-2022, very similar to now, plus another £12bn upfront) for a transition period to GE2022, a commitment to shadow EU regulation for that period, and a commitment to not "dump" tax or regulation to undercut the EU in the longer-run.

In other words, kicking the can down the road and saving the real negotiations on the deal to take effect post GE2022 for later.
    So the UK will remain in the EU economic structure but leave the political structure. We will have to accept rules that we have no say in making and we will pay for the privilege.

This seems to me a very good deal from the EU's point of view. What incentive will they have to agree a final settlement with the UK - better just to let the "transitional arrangement" continue as long as possible. And the UK will still face an economic cliff edge if it wants out.
  • Options

Mr. Royale, for what it's worth, that's my reading. If she wanted to try and stop it, that would put her against the military, who remain powerful, and many Burmese people. It's hard to say how she thinks that would turn out, or how it would in reality.

For the military, she's acting as a lightning rod for international condemnation.

Yes, I think the truth is extremely complicated.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Mrs May should demote Boris to Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at Culture, Media and Sport.

Agreed. As Samual Pepys once said, 'A man does well when he rids himself of a turd'
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    GIN1138 said:

Any market's on when former peace loving exile and now blood-thirsty warlord Aung San Suu Kyi be stripped of her Nobel Peace Prize? :D

Is that before or after the US president who, by kicking the van down the road, did more to increase the risk of war than anyone else?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Because she's the leader of her country and is not condemning/preventing them.

She is morally complicit, even if she isn't there with a machete
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    A Swiss Brexit would be good reason to resign since it would mean that we were still under the control of the EU despite not being a member, we would still not have control of our borders despite not being a member, we were still subject to EU laws despite being not being amember. We would be in the EU in all but name despite Brexit. It would be a betrayal of the referendum result.
  • Options

It's amazing that wherever Islam goes there is death and violence and yet they always seem to be the victims. They do have an awful lot of bad luck.
  • Options
    stevef said:

A Swiss Brexit would be good reason to resign since it would mean that we were still under the control of the EU despite not being a member, we would still not have control of our borders despite not being a member, we were still subject to EU laws despite being not being amember. We would be in the EU in all but name despite Brexit. It would be a betrayal of the referendum result.

Agreed.

We're not going there. It would be a reversal of everything done so far.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Agreed.

The EU is not attacking us. We are leaving, having been told by those who led the campaign for our withdrawal that it would be easy to do and there would be no downsides. That is not the EU's fault. The Tory manifesto promised us a Brexit that would create a more prosperous and fairer Britain. It is time to deliver.
  • Options
    Bye bye BoJo.
    Best not to be involved any further with the current mess, even though you were pivotal in creating it.
  • Options
    I can't figure the politics of this as far as Boris is concerned. It seems like lunacy.

There are only two options regarding what May was or is going to say in her speech. If she was going to say everything that Boris wanted to hear then right now she will need to be frantically rewriting her speech or it will seem like she has surrendered to him. If she was not going to say what he wanted to hear then she is Dan sure not going to change it now or again she will appear (rightly) to be surrendering to him.

This is surely a no-win situation for Boris.
  • Options

The EU is not attacking us. We are leaving, having been told by those who led the campaign for our withdrawal that it would be easy to do and there would be no downsides. That is not the EU's fault. The Tory manifesto promised us a Brexit that would create a more prosperous and fairer Britain. It is time to deliver.

The EU is not attacking us - we're attacking it.

Gove said before the referendum that it would spark "the democratic liberation of a whole continent" and Boris said that we would speak for "hundreds of millions of people around Europe who agree with us but who currently have no voice".

We picked a fight that we are inevitably going to lose.
  • Options
    stevef said:

On the contrary, it perfectly reflects the narrow vote to leave.
  • Options

I think George Osborne absolutely wanted to be PM, had it all lined up, and thought it slipped through his fingers for reasons beyond his control.
    The reasons were entirely within his control. He misread the mood of both his own party and the nation.
  • Options

stevef said:

On the contrary, it perfectly reflects the narrow vote to leave.
    When you have two options, Leave or Remain, throwing away all the benefits of Leave and all the benefits of Rrmain is not a compromise that reflects any result. It would be damn foolish.
  • Options

Gove said before the referendum that it would spark "the democratic liberation of a whole continent" and Boris said that we would speak for "hundreds of millions of people around Europe who agree with us but who currently have no voice".

It is entirely lawful for the government to invoke Article 50. That is not an "attack" on anybody.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Trump's speech to the UN greeted with rapturous indifference. Many issues raised. No answers proposed.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

It is entirely lawful for the government to invoke Article 50. That is not an "attack" on anybody.
    The rhetoric of the Brexiteers was a very clear existential challenge to the EU.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

The rhetoric of the Brexiteers was a very clear existential challenge to the EU.
    Bloody hell give it a rest.
  • Options

The reasons were entirely within his control. He misread the mood of both his own party and the nation.
    If he kept his head down afterwards then he'd be in prime position to be the next leader anyway.

But he flounced off to the Standard and went insane.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

I can't figure the politics of this as far as Boris is concerned. It seems like lunacy.

There are only two options regarding what May was or is going to say in her speech. If she was going to say everything that Boris wanted to hear then right now she will need to be frantically rewriting her speech or it will seem like she has surrendered to him. If she was not going to say what he wanted to hear then she is Dan sure not going to change it now or again she will appear (rightly) to be surrendering to him.

This is surely a no-win situation for Boris.

Boris has seen the speech first draft (as will other Senior Ministers). It can only be that he didn't like it. The ball is in TM's court now. She will either cave in or Boris walks with several others, but he'd prefer to be fired to play the martyr.
  • Options

He had a golden opportunity to win over Tory MPs and party members post GE2015 to his cause.

Instead, he tried to bribe and threaten his own colleagues, whilst using his position to beat his own voters, activists, members with a stick in an attempt to show other non-Tory voters he was secretly on their side.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992

If he kept his head down afterwards then he'd be in prime position to be the next leader anyway.

Doesn't that show how badly the election went. Back in April everyone including George expected a Tory majority and for his career to be finished. So George left for an easy job.

Yet they made such a mess of the election that George would probably be PM by now if he had just waited..
  • Options

Are you the Persian King Xerxes from 300?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Those members who see advantage to being in the EU will remain members. Those who don't will not. That's not affected by our decision.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    edited September 2017
    It is notable though that with the exception of a few diehards like TSE absolutely no one in the Tory party seems to be sorry to see the back of Osborne.
  • Options

Are you the Persian King Xerxes from 300?
    The arrogance is certainly there.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    Mortimer said:

Agreed.

Is that any way for a modern, sophisticated economy to conduct itself?!
  • Options

It is notable though that with the exception of a few diehards like TSE absolutely no one in the Tory party seems to be sorry to see the back of him.

A certain type of Tory feels that they were living under a Blairite dictatorship from 1997 (or possibly even earlier) until June 23rd last year, and that now they've taken back control.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Those members who see advantage to being in the EU will remain members. Those who don't will not. That's not affected by our decision.
    Ultimately, there's no getting around that. If people feel an identity, they will act with one.

If an EU member state whose people shared a national identity strongly wished to secede from the EU in future, the fact that it might be legally, constitutionally,or economically, extremely difficult to do so would not stop them from doing so, if they wished to do so.

The only option would be for the EU to resist it by force (something williamglenn would no doubt strongly approve of) or, the other softer approach, is to stop it happening in the first place by gradually breaking down national identities by promoting regional and European ones at their expense.

Something the EU has been pursuing as subsidiary policy for years, despite Europhiles insisting that's wrong and claiming anyone who thinks otherwise is barking.
  • Options
    eek said:

Doesn't that show how badly the election went. Back in April everyone including George expected a Tory majority and for his career to be finished. So George left for an easy job.

Yet they made such a mess of the election that George would probably be PM by now if he had just waited..
    Even if it went well there would be a change of leader sooner or later. He just had to hang around and not do anything too stupid.

I think half of his bitterness comes from the fact that he knows he screwed up leaving parliament.
  • Options

It is notable though that with the exception of a few diehards like TSE absolutely no one in the Tory party seems to be sorry to see the back of Osborne.

To be fair to TSE, I think both politically and socially he and Osborne are very similar, and both got on well with one another.

But, that's not a huge demographic.
  • Options

Ultimately, there's no getting around that. If people feel an identity, they will act with one.

If an EU member state whose people shared a national identity strongly wished to secede from the EU in future, the fact that it might be legally, constitutionally,or economically, extremely difficult to do so would not stop them from doing so, if they wished to do so.

The only option would be for the EU to resist it by force (something williamglenn would no doubt strongly approve of) or, the other softer approach, is to stop it happening in the first place by gradually breaking down national identities by promoting regional and European ones at their expense.

Something the EU has been pursuing as subsidiary policy for years, despite Europhiles insisting that's wrong and claiming anyone who thinks otherwise is barking.

I won't object to your mischaracterisation of my views, but I do think you're wrong on the substance. A nation that it confident in its national identity is one that is more able to play a constructive role within the EU. England needs its national identity back, and it's not the EU, but the UK, that is denying us our self-determination.
  • Options
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Boris is currently in a quantum wave state, which will collapse after May's Florence speech.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

stevef said:

Agreed.

I like others struggle to see how you have leaped from Brexit to DefCon 1.

The EFTA states aren't in the EU, and not subject to the supposedly egregious whims of the ECJ. I mean ask Richard Tyndall for heaven's sake. He would be happy for us to go EEA/EFTA (which I appreciate logistically might not be possible) and if there's anyone there who sees sovereignty-eating monsters behind the sofa, it's him.

We could leave the EU and be EFTA/EEA and we would not be in the EU. To say it is a "betrayal of the referendum result" is, I'm afraid, wishful thinking/fantasy on your part (unless you have asked all 34-odd million voters about it).
  • Options

I won't object to your mischaracterisation of my views, but I do think you're wrong on the substance. A nation that it confident in its national identity is one that is more able to play a constructive role within the EU. England needs its national identity back, and it's not the EU, but the UK, that is denying us our self-determination.
    Says the man who has regularly objected to the concept of the nation state.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    edited September 2017
    TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

stevef said:

Agreed.

The EFTA states aren't in the EU, and not subject to the supposedly egregious whims of the ECJ. I mean ask Richard Tyndall for heaven's sake. He would be happy for us to go EEA/EFTA (which I appreciate logistically might not be possible) and if there's anyone there who sees sovereignty-eating monsters behind the sofa, it's him.

We could leave the EU and be EFTA/EEA and we would not be in the EU. To say it is a "betrayal of the referendum result" is, I'm afraid, wishful thinking/fantasy on your part (unless you have asked all 34-odd million voters about it).
    We do agree on somethings although the use of the word sofa is one I might take issue with.

That said I agree with the rest of your posting. :)
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

stevef said:

Agreed.

We do agree on somethings although the use of the word sofa is one I might take issue with.

:smile:

Are we losing it?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

stevef said:

Agreed.

:smile:

Are we losing it?
    My wife thinks i lost it years ago.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    dixiedean said:

Trump's speech to the UN greeted with rapturous indifference. Many issues raised. No answers proposed.

As good and succinct a description of the UN as I've seen.
  • Options

I think you'd be delighted to use the EU military to punish those who erred. I don't think it's a mischaracterisation at all.

Would you execute everyone, or only the ringleaders?
  • Options

I've merely said that the nation state isn't the end point of civilisation. The European Union is a model of something that goes beyond the nation state, and does it very well. Your comparison of it with Yugoslavia is facile.
  • Options

I've merely said that the nation state isn't the end point of civilisation. The European Union is a model of something that goes beyond the nation state, and does it very well. Your comparison of it with Yugoslavia is facile.
    What you advocate represents the end of the nation state in any meaningful sense.

It moves them to member states, much more akin to (you guessed it) US States, but with less power.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, all power structures fail. If the Romans couldn't survive indefinitely, the EU most certainly will not.
  • Options
    How much of this can the moderates take before they grow a backbone?
This discussion has been closed.