Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The front page of Private Eye captures the political mood perf

Comments

• Options
    @Sean_F Yes it all depends how you define living standards. My lefty teacher was through the in the BBC, public libraries, access to the NHS. What would Henry Vlll have made of those ? Or the sight of the food available in a modern Tesco ? What would have one short course of antibiotics have fetched in Alexander the Great's day. Does a British child playing with a cheap Android tablet have access to greater riches than say Da Vinci ? But you are right. It's a parlour game and depends on your definitions.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

By 1987 to 1989 when I was doing my Economics GCSE our famously lefty teacher devoted a whole 4 lesson streak to the concept that a unemployed person on state benefits who was housed in a basic standard council property had a higher standard of living than Henry VIII had.

He kept on and on until we eventually worked through on our own what his point was. That that was objectively true but psychologically irrelevant. We're naked apes who judge our situation by our peers and recent events.

Which is frankly what's gone wrong since The Crash. Even half a generation departure from the previous trend in living standards has sent us crazy even though in the big picture it's minor and in the historic sweep the surge in living standards was exceptional not the current blip.

I don't often quote the journalist Paul Mason but his definition of Austerity is intriguing. " Decades and decades of falling western living standards until they meet rising Asian living standards in the middle. "

But no western politican can run on a " Your golden centuries are over, your objectively better off than Cleopatra was so stop moaning now it's the Chinese turn. "

In truth, the council tenant probably didn't. The plutocrats of the 16th century or the Roman Empire had a standard of living that was outstanding in any era. But, they did run a far higher risk of dying violently than their modern counterparts.
    Also, you could be struck down and die by a variety of diseases and injuries at any time in your life that were lethal then, and would not be so today. Neither King or pauper was immune.

I often wonder if I'd still be alive today were I alive then, given I've had pneumonia once, and an tooth abscess twice, both of which were cured by antibiotics.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

Sean_F said:

Thanks.

I was just thinking that while not only would a TV probably cost less in absolute, let alone real, terms now than in 1976 but there was also only three channels to watch back then and even those only broadcast half of the day.

Whereas now I get for free YouTube with an unlimited range of entertainment and education - which even in the 1990s would have cost £100s per year in videos and CDs.

Yes, and it's not just gizmos, either - look at the quality of housing. I think youngsters would be very shocked at the housing of thirty or forty years ago, which for many people had no central heating, really crude kitchens, no freezer, and maybe not even a proper bathroom for the poorer families.
    When young people castigate baby boomers for enjoying a level of prosperity that is denied them, they implicitly mean upper middle class baby boomers. Lower middle, and working class baby boomers grew up in harsher conditions than prevail today.

When I think of rationing of basic foodstuffs, no central heating, interviews with a bank manager to get a mortgage (as much about class as affordability), holidays being practically restricted to Blackpool, working Saturday mornings and stuffy social conventions both inside and outside the workplace, I'm rather glad I wasn't a baby boomer.
    Actually I'd swap the Saturday mornings for Wednesday afternoons... half days are pretty special!
  • Options
    nichomar said:

philiph said:

Mortimer said:

Zeitgeist said:

tlg86 said:

The flip side is that the internet has become an other essential utility to pay for. Also, while options for televised entertainment have increased dramatically, if you take my interest - sport - it has become very expensive.

I tend to agree that we probably have never had it so good. What concerns me is sustainability. I don't think we've ever really confronted what happened in 2008. I fear it will happen again and next time it will be a lot worse.

The rising consumer debt is certainly getting very worrying. We are not well placed for riding through any Brexit turbulence, let alone some of the worse scenarios.
    The problem is most people of my generation are simply incapable of living frugally. Most of the people I go to university with blow money they don't have on eating out, drinking, taxis home and regular foreign holidays. When I was paying off my student loan and then saving for a house deposit, I was keeping my food budget to £8 a day despite having a professional job. I was treated as some sort of odd pariah by the people who are complaining now about still having debts and not being able to afford a house.
    I was musing on this the other day.

Most of my (largely upper middle class) Oxbridge peers only have houses with help from bank of Mum and Dad, whilst many more of my grammar school mates have houses that they funded for themselves....
    The expectations and determination of the young to fulfil hedonistic desires for concerts, gadgets, holidays, cars, meals, drinks, meals, hen or stag weekends or weeks taxi fares and much else sets them apart from older generations.
    youre young
    you have sod all chance of getting a house
    Osborne is taxing your ass off on fees
    why wouldnt you enjoy a bit of life ?
    you cant really aspire to the life style of previous generations
    Exactly.

Also I think the idea of the young being spendthrifts is bollocks anyway, they drink far less than the previous generation for example. It's the baby boomers that have all the new cars and holidays in my experience.
    Well let the tories continue this belief and continue to ignore the problems of now and the future and they will get what they deserve
    The old vote in massive numbers. When the Tories tried to make them pay for their own care they almost lost the election.

Of course they are going to vote for more stuff for themselves and blame the young for it.
  • Options

I was from a poor Mining family and the 1977 to 1980 period saw us get our first landline*. ( I just remember my mother taking us to a photo be box to ring our grandparents ). Our first record player with speakers and a tape recorder, our first Fridge Fridge as a single unit, our first clothes dryer and our first front loading washing machine. Our council house was ' modernised ' which meant we got our first central heating ( though still powered by the coal fire ) and double glazing. Our local council won a national award as it let tennants chose between 3 colours for the fitted kitchen which was a wonder in it's self.

This all sounds rather twee compared to the invention the of the internet and then the smart phone generation bit in terms of raw human comfort.....

We were on a waiting list for 13 weeks to get a line installed. My mother has the same phone number nearly 40 years later and routinely has it rejected by companies and officialdom as it doesn't have 11 digits and therefore may be " wrong ".

What baffles me: why do we still have to wait that long for a sofa from John Lewis, or DFS?

I don't buy the "we make them hand-made from scratch to order" shit.
  • Options

Just come back from the shopping with my beloved and wondered if anything important has happened other than Donald Trump threatening to lay waste to the Country of North Korea as you would, and Vince Cable posing in a funny hat.

Was that Sir Vince of Cable who absolutely could be Prime Minister honest showing us what hat he would wear to the U.N. to show his disapproval of Trump?

Sarcasm aside, who was the last world leader who went to the U.N. and threatened to commit genocide?
  • Options
    There's none so blind as cannot see. Brexit was explicitly campaigned for as an opt out of the complexities of the modern world, a howl against immigration and homo economicus. Unfortunately, all that will do is leave Britain still worse placed to deal with the modern world.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Thanks.

I was just thinking that while not only would a TV probably cost less in absolute, let alone real, terms now than in 1976 but there was also only three channels to watch back then and even those only broadcast half of the day.

Whereas now I get for free YouTube with an unlimited range of entertainment and education - which even in the 1990s would have cost £100s per year in videos and CDs.

Yes, and it's not just gizmos, either - look at the quality of housing. I think youngsters would be very shocked at the housing of thirty or forty years ago, which for many people had no central heating, really crude kitchens, no freezer, and maybe not even a proper bathroom for the poorer families.
    Essentially I'm hard pressed to think of much that costs less than about £30k that compared to 40 odd years ago isn't cheaper in real terms (short haul flights) better (cars), both (TVs) or unimaginable ( smart phones). The buggeration is the two biggies in terms of personal costs (well kids aside!), housing and pensions, cost a lot more.

You can afford a weekend in Malaga in a way that would've astonished 1977, but maybe because you can only "afford" to retire at 77 at the rate you're saving.
    Live music and sport, I imagine.

But of course the ability to see them either repeated or live on the telly box for almost zero cost is entirely different.
  • Options

youre young

+1. The way the Zeitgeist and Mortimer talk, you'd think it's only those under the age of thirty (or even mid thirties and under) that are struggling with buying at house at the moment. The Tories forget that they lost even those in their early to mid forties at the GE - which goes beyond the Zeitgeist's and Mortimer's generation into Gen X. According to YouGov's how Britain voted in 2017 data, the Conservatives have a lead only among the retired and lost among students, those employed and those unemployed. The Tories are being rejected by those of working age in general, not merely 'naive' young people.

Also, the idea that older generations never went to concerts, never went on holiday, and never went out for a drink or a meal is truly hilarious. Talking to my mum (in her forties) and other family friends in their fifties and sixties, they spent much of their youth going out to parties, clubbing, going to the cinema, shopping, going out for meals, and went on holiday too. And they came from working class backgrounds. So the idea that these desires are specific to just my generation is a ridiculous assertion.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Sean_F said:

Thanks.

When young people castigate baby boomers for enjoying a level of prosperity that is denied them, they implicitly mean upper middle class baby boomers. Lower middle, and working class baby boomers grew up in harsher conditions than prevail today.

When I think of rationing of basic foodstuffs, no central heating, interviews with a bank manager to get a mortgage (as much about class as affordability), holidays being practically restricted to Blackpool, working Saturday mornings and stuffy social conventions both inside and outside the workplace, I'm rather glad I wasn't a baby boomer.
    There's more live footy on a weekend now than in a whole year in the 70's. Whether that's good or not is a different matter....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,302
    edited September 2017

Sean_F said:

By 1987 to 1989 when I was doing my Economics GCSE our famously lefty teacher devoted a whole 4 lesson streak to the concept that a unemployed person on state benefits who was housed in a basic standard council property had a higher standard of living than Henry VIII had.

He kept on and on until we eventually worked through on our own what his point was. That that was objectively true but psychologically irrelevant. We're naked apes who judge our situation by our peers and recent events.

Which is frankly what's gone wrong since The Crash. Even half a generation departure from the previous trend in living standards has sent us crazy even though in the big picture it's minor and in the historic sweep the surge in living standards was exceptional not the current blip.

I don't often quote the journalist Paul Mason but his definition of Austerity is intriguing. " Decades and decades of falling western living standards until they meet rising Asian living standards in the middle. "

But no western politican can run on a " Your golden centuries are over, your objectively better off than Cleopatra was so stop moaning now it's the Chinese turn. "

In truth, the council tenant probably didn't. The plutocrats of the 16th century or the Roman Empire had a standard of living that was outstanding in any era. But, they did run a far higher risk of dying violently than their modern counterparts.
    Also, you could be struck down and die by a variety of diseases and injuries at any time in your life that were lethal then, and would not be so today. Neither King or pauper was immune.

I often wonder if I'd still be alive today were I alive then, given I've had pneumonia once, and an tooth abscess twice, both of which were cured by antibiotics.
    Shocking statistic - no fifteenth century king of England lived to see 50. Richard II (deposed 1399 died 1400) was 37, Henry IV 46, Henry V 35, Henry VI 49, Edward IV 42, Edward V 12, Richard III 33 and only Henry VII broke the trend by reaching 55.

And it is not as though all of them were murdered either - Henry IV, Henry V and Edward IV all died of natural causes, and Edward V was rumoured to be very ill when he mysteriously disappeared just after his uncle usurped the throne.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I was from a poor Mining family and the 1977 to 1980 period saw us get our first landline*. ( I just remember my mother taking us to a photo be box to ring our grandparents ). Our first record player with speakers and a tape recorder, our first Fridge Fridge as a single unit, our first clothes dryer and our first front loading washing machine. Our council house was ' modernised ' which meant we got our first central heating ( though still powered by the coal fire ) and double glazing. Our local council won a national award as it let tennants chose between 3 colours for the fitted kitchen which was a wonder in it's self.

This all sounds rather twee compared to the invention the of the internet and then the smart phone generation bit in terms of raw human comfort.....

We were on a waiting list for 13 weeks to get a line installed. My mother has the same phone number nearly 40 years later and routinely has it rejected by companies and officialdom as it doesn't have 11 digits and therefore may be " wrong ".

What baffles me: why do we still have to wait that long for a sofa from John Lewis, or DFS?

Also the inability to get a car or boiler fixed without several day delay for a part. JIT has buffered the consumer wanting the fixer to have a stock...
  • Options

There's none so blind as cannot see. Brexit was explicitly campaigned for as an opt out of the complexities of the modern world, a howl against immigration and homo economicus. Unfortunately, all that will do is leave Britain still worse placed to deal with the modern world.

Do keep up. The future of the UK is out of the EU.

Time to get with the times granddad.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

Sean_F said:

Thanks.

I suppose we should be thankfull in those days the working man could leave work on a saturday and afford to to to a division 1 football match and have a pint on the way home and pick up fish and chips. I bet no of those are "cheaper" today
  • Options

philiph said:

Mortimer said:

Zeitgeist said:

tlg86 said:

The flip side is that the internet has become an other essential utility to pay for. Also, while options for televised entertainment have increased dramatically, if you take my interest - sport - it has become very expensive.

I tend to agree that we probably have never had it so good. What concerns me is sustainability. I don't think we've ever really confronted what happened in 2008. I fear it will happen again and next time it will be a lot worse.

The rising consumer debt is certainly getting very worrying. We are not well placed for riding through any Brexit turbulence, let alone some of the worse scenarios.
    The problem is most people of my generation are simply incapable of living frugally. Most of the people I go to university with blow money they don't have on eating out, drinking, taxis home and regular foreign holidays. When I was paying off my student loan and then saving for a house deposit, I was keeping my food budget to £8 a day despite having a professional job. I was treated as some sort of odd pariah by the people who are complaining now about still having debts and not being able to afford a house.

Most of my (largely upper middle class) Oxbridge peers only have houses with help from bank of Mum and Dad, whilst many more of my grammar school mates have houses that they funded for themselves....
    The expectations and determination of the young to fulfil hedonistic desires for concerts, gadgets, holidays, cars, meals, drinks, meals, hen or stag weekends or weeks taxi fares and much else sets them apart from older generations.
    youre young
    Exactly.

Also I think the idea of the young being spendthrifts is bollocks anyway, they drink far less than the previous generation for example. It's the baby boomers that have all the new cars and holidays in my experience.
    A lot it of also comes from Conservative Millennials who are upset that their peers don't have much time for Conservatism. In the states this is especially the case; they are always moaning about left wing millennials and how terrible college will be because of all the lefties there etc.
  • Options
    Interesting - I bought Canadian Dollars on the 25th April 2017 at 1.605 and I bought some more today at 1.61. Remarkably stable
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

That's mostly nonsense. Apart from die-hard kippers most people want immigration and trade to continue, what they don't want is rules drawn up by the EU, but instead rules that suit us.
  • Options

That's all true but ...

Why was economic growth, and even more so economic growth per capita, so much higher in the 1970s than it has been in recent years ?

That's a complex question, and I don't have anything a complete answer. But I believe some of the explanation might include:

- Europe and to a lesser extent the US were still rebuilding from WWII right into the 1970s.
    - Technological change, and its economic effects, are not consistent. You get periods of increasing wealth, followed by periods of relative stagnation. That has been the case for 200 years.
    - Big demographic changes, most notably the massive increase in the working population as women moved out of being housewives (thanks to supermarkets, vacuum cleaners and washing machines, largely) into the workforce. In particular, because of taxation changing from being joint to being individually-based, professional couples with two large incomes have received a huge tax advantage, increasing inequality. Plus the age profile change @rcs1000 has already mentioned.

I'm also rather sceptical of the base data. Measuring inflation over long periods is an extremely imprecise art, and I do wonder if it really captures improved the quality of goods. For example, in the 1950s until the 1970s, you could see the quantity of car ownership increasing. Eventually most reasonably prosperous families have the one or two cars they want, and they are not going to buy any more, However, the average family car today is massively better than the average family car of 1970. Have the inflation statistics captured this properly? Indeed, is it even logically possible to compare a modern car - complete with stereo, ABS, air conditioning, power steering, electric windows, remote locking, etc etc) with my first car (a second-hand Austin Allegro, since you ask. The handbrake fell off soon after I'd bought it).

What I do know is that the average family, and especially the poorest, have a standard of living today which is hugely better than that of their equivalents of thirty or forty years ago. We shouldn't forget that.
    The standard of living in the UK declined from about 1500 to the 1690s, despite technological advances. Food took well over half of a families income, and that's basic food. Only merchants and above could afford meat and fish. It's since the industrial revolution that economic growth has been (fairly) consistent.

Your point on vacuum cleaners and housewifes illustrates how new technology can sometimes create many new jobs.

No doubt there were some at the time who worried that such fads would put a lot of domestic servants out of work, with little upside.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Re: youth v aged here is GK Chesterton

"I believe what really happens in history is this: the old man is
    always wrong; and the young people are always wrong about what is
    wrong with him. The practical form it takes is this: that, while the
    old man may stand by some stupid custom, the young man always attacks
    it with some theory that turns out to be equally stupid."
  • Options

youre young

+1. The way the Zeitgeist and Mortimer talk, you'd think it's only those under the age of thirty (or even mid thirties and under) that are struggling with buying at house at the moment. The Tories forget that they lost even those in their early to mid forties at the GE - which goes beyond the Zeitgeist's and Mortimer's generation into Gen X. According to YouGov's how Britain voted in 2017 data, the Conservatives have a lead only among the retired and lost among students, those employed and those unemployed. The Tories are being rejected by those of working age in general, not merely 'naive' young people.

Also, the idea that older generations never went to concerts, never went on holiday, and never went out for a drink or a meal is truly hilarious. Talking to my mum (in her forties) and other family friends in their fifties and sixties, they spent much of their youth going out to parties, clubbing, going to the cinema, shopping, going out for meals, and went on holiday too. And they came from working class backgrounds. So the idea that these desires are specific to just my generation is a ridiculous assertion.
    Depends who you talk too. My folks went out for a couple of meals a year. And lived with Dad's folks to save for a deposit.

• Options

DFS ???

Please reassure me that's out of loyalty to a fellow Conservative.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Sean_F said:

Thanks.

I suppose we should be thankfull in those days the working man could leave work on a saturday and afford to to to a division 1 football match and have a pint on the way home and pick up fish and chips. I bet no of those are "cheaper" today
    It's nostalgia, of course, but I suspect, on the upside, there was a much stronger sense of community through working men's clubs, pubs, local football teams, nonconformist churches and their extended families.

When it comes to emotional contentment and happiness, not everything is about the money.
  • Options

Do keep up. The future of the UK is out of the EU.

Time to get with the times granddad.
    What is that glourious future that you forsee?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited September 2017

youre young

My local town has less pubs than 30 years ago, however there are many more coffee shops, clubs and restaurants. The balance of entertainment has changed. There are many more taxis, airports and flights. They aren't all filled by the young, but the change is monumental.

Just observational, there is no judgement
  • Options

Just come back from the shopping with my beloved and wondered if anything important has happened other than Donald Trump threatening to lay waste to the Country of North Korea as you would, and Vince Cable posing in a funny hat.

Was that Sir Vince of Cable who absolutely could be Prime Minister honest showing us what hat he would wear to the U.N. to show his disapproval of Trump?

Sarcasm aside, who was the last world leader who went to the U.N. and threatened to commit genocide?
    It was rather extreme but this is Trump and as for Vince and his hat I thought he wanted to be known as a serious politician. By the way what are the betting odds on Vince being PM
  • Options

You have your good days, and your less good days.

But, I still like you.
  • Options

@Sean_F Yes it all depends how you define living standards. My lefty teacher was through the in the BBC, public libraries, access to the NHS. What would Henry Vlll have made of those ? Or the sight of the food available in a modern Tesco ? What would have one short course of antibiotics have fetched in Alexander the Great's day. Does a British child playing with a cheap Android tablet have access to greater riches than say Da Vinci ? But you are right. It's a parlour game and depends on your definitions.

Of course Henry or his subjects couldn't compare their standard of living with ours still less do anything about it if they could. Those less fortunate than us around the world now though can. They can compare their "sixteenth century"(sort of) lifestyle with ours on a phone but of course don't need a time machine to do anything about it. Hence migrant flows. The visibility of the world is far greater than even fifteen years ago.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

The buggeration is the two biggies in terms of personal costs (well kids aside!), housing and pensions, cost a lot more.

Pensions remains tricky, but it is kind of ridiculous how little housing has evolved, where are the robot-built shiny glass bubble of science fiction? A pile of bricks has remained the standard form of housing for a long time. If we could modernise housing we might tackle the cost and shortage a lot more easily.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Also the inability to get a car or boiler fixed without several day delay for a part. JIT has buffered the consumer wanting the fixer to have a stock...
    I'm waiting for someone to twist it into a point about Brexit and just-in-time delivery..
  • Options
    glw said:

That's mostly nonsense. Apart from die-hard kippers most people want immigration and trade to continue, what they don't want is rules drawn up by the EU, but instead rules that suit us.
    A perfect example of the use of "most people" to mean "me".
  • Options
    I am very happy with my beer this evening (yes, that's me)

Remember: in Waitrose; no Leavers. None at all.

https://twitter.com/casinoroyalepb/status/910209139225321472
  • Options

But, I still like you.
    On a day when the most confident boast of the site's Brexiters was that we probably wouldn't have food riots on the current trajectory, a note of humility from the headbanging Europhobes would be welcome.
  • Options

DFS ???

Please reassure me that's out of loyalty to a fellow Conservative.
    Nah, my wife and I went with Sofology.

Superb product (and we compared with everywhere else to check first) but the same 12 week+ waiting time b0ll0cks.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Have you done the brewery tour? It's epic
  • Options

A bit like 99% of your posts then.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I'm waiting for someone to twist it into a point about Brexit and just-in-time delivery..
    I had to get a part replaced in some equipment recently and was shocked at the price and delay for a very tiny part. Apparently its gone from being an item in stock, to an item being delivered "just in time" (which means when ordering for repairs) to being made to order.

Meaning far worse delays and double the price as they're not made in batches anymore.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

youre young

Depends who you talk too. My folks went out for a couple of meals a year. And lived with Dad's folks to save for a deposit.

My folks - re you referring to your parents or your friends? I've been out for a meal twice this year. I didn't see that as frugal. Frugal is not going out for a meal at all. If that's your definition of frugal, I wonder how often you think young people are going out for a meal.

Re saving for a deposit, I'm happy for your friends but the reality is it's not easy for most when this is the case: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/mar/17/average-house-price-times-annual-salary-official-figures-ons
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Have you done the brewery tour? It's epic
    Of that particular brewery? Tell me more.
  • Options

Seen elsewhere; David Davis strikes you as the sort of negotiator who would pay full price for a sofa at DFS
  • Options

But, I still like you.
    On a day when the most confident boast of the site's Brexiters was that we probably wouldn't have food riots on the current trajectory, a note of humility from the headbanging Europhobes would be welcome.
    Nah, sorry. Too happy with my "sink the French and the EU" beer.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Have you tied Old Empire IPA?

The name is ideal for us swivel-eyed loons... ;)
  • Options

Of that particular brewery? Tell me more.

https://www.hooky.co.uk/visit-us/visitor-centre-and-tours.ashx
  • Options

glw said:

Me too.

Also what the polling evidence showed.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Back from a week in Simon Hart's stunningly pretty constituency. I see the brexit debates roll on ;)
  • Options

But, I still like you.
    That was made because some Remainer suggested there would be food riots.

Context is all.
  • Options

glw said:

Me too.

http://www.britishelectionstudy.com/bes-findings/what-mattered-most-to-you-when-deciding-how-to-vote-in-the-eu-referendum/#.WcFyldHTWf0
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Many of the comforts we take for granted were available hundreds of years ago, but only to a very small elite, rather than to the large majority. Windsor Castle in the 14th century had hot and cold running water, and flushing toilets, but Edward III's daughter was struck down with plague at 16. Medical advances do make a huge difference.

Sean_F said:

I would have died at the age of 46, from appendicitis. But, probably, a bad dose of flu would have carried me off before then.
  • Options
    See climate change scientist ' live ' on Sky admitting having overplayed how temperatures would rise
  • Options

nichomar said:

Sean_F said:

Thanks.

It's nostalgia, of course, but I suspect, on the upside, there was a much stronger sense of community through working men's clubs, pubs, local football teams, nonconformist churches and their extended families.

When it comes to emotional contentment and happiness, not everything is about the money.
    The northern CIU network of WMC's was wonderfull i caught the end in the late 70's and they were a unify influence, they didnt care about clas or background you just had to ply by their rules and were most welcoming. They also provided a platform for entertainment talent which is lost today
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Cheers. Will take a look.
  • Options

glw said:

Me too.

http://www.britishelectionstudy.com/bes-findings/what-mattered-most-to-you-when-deciding-how-to-vote-in-the-eu-referendum/#.WcFyldHTWf0
    Please explain how the economy and immigration being the most salient issues constitutes an "opt out".
  • Options

glw said:

Me too.

The word cloud thing is nonsense as the word "immigration" is crystal clear and is the only word used for that subject whereas "sovereignty" may be said many different ways: "control", "our own laws" etc etc etc all mean the same thing but it is about how you say it. There isn't a single word that sums it up that is universally accepted and used by everyone.

You can see on the graph that sovereignty > immigration.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

youre young

My folks - re you referring to your parents or your friends? I've been out for a meal twice this year. I didn't see that as frugal. Frugal is not going out for a meal at all. If that's your definition of frugal, I wonder how often you think young people are going out for a meal.

Re saving for a deposit, I'm happy for your friends but the reality is it's not easy for most when this is the case: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/mar/17/average-house-price-times-annual-salary-official-figures-ons
    My folks = my parents.

Most of my mates go out for (at least) two meals a week. Seriously.

I probably eat out about 5 times a week, though this is largely because I work somewhat peripatetically.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

But, I still like you.

Context is all.
    Looking at the size of the people in Bury market the other day, I think food riots might be just what is needed.
  • Options
    Trump at the UN

What the Actual Fuck?
  • Options

philiph said:

Mortimer said:

Zeitgeist said:

tlg86 said:

youre young
    Exactly.

A lot it of also comes from Conservative Millennials who are upset that their peers don't have much time for Conservatism. In the states this is especially the case; they are always moaning about left wing millennials and how terrible college will be because of all the lefties there etc.
    If you want your university years to be a roller coaster rebellion against oppressive establishment orthodoxy, the best way is to be a die-hard Conservative ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2017

There's another problem with modern life. Beer needn't be 5.3%

Beer used to be closer to 3.3%. Your 5.3 is an increase of roughly 60% in alcohol content from a standard beer. 60% more alcohol than you get in a beer of about 3.3%. Think about it.

Beer and wine have too much alcohol now.
  • Options

But, I still like you.
    Maybe we'll be lucky, just have food riots. Perhaps, it will be like the Day of the Triffids.
  • Options

glw said:

Me too.

The word cloud thing is nonsense as the word "immigration" is crystal clear and is the only word used for that subject whereas "sovereignty" may be said many different ways: "control", "our own laws" etc etc etc all mean the same thing but it is about how you say it. There isn't a single word that sums it up that is universally accepted and used by everyone.

There's none so blind as will not see, even when the word leaps off the screen into the face.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

glw said:

Me too.

The leave vote was overwhemingly about immigration.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,738

FF43 said:

Globalisation is not something you can successfully opt out of, as Brexit will show. The key is to do globalisation smarter.

We were opting out of the EU, not globalisation.
    Strictly speaking, you're correct. Actually Brexit is a de facto opt out of globalisation. The EU is a globalist construct. Theoretically we can say we don't want THAT globalisation, but something else. But unless we can create a realistic alternative that everyone, and just us talking to ourselves, buys into, it remains simply a rejection of globalisation. That's where we are. Now I think it is likely we won't fully opt out of either globalisation or the EU system but instead end up in a compromised mess.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Be used to be closer to 3.3%. Your 5.3 is an increase of roughly 60% in alcohol content from a standard beer. 60% more alcohol than you get in a beer of about 3.3%. Think about it.

philiph said:

Be used to be closer to 3.3%. Your 5.3 is an increase of roughly 60% in alcohol content from a standard beer. 60% more alcohol than you get in a beer of about 3.3%. Think about it.

Absolutely. 3.something % beer is much more drinkable, I think...
  • Options
    philiph said:

youre young

My local town has less pubs than 30 years ago, however there are many more coffee shops, clubs and restaurants. The balance of entertainment has changed. There are many more taxis, airports and flights. They aren't all filled by the young, but the change is monumental.

Don't see why you contrasted pubs with all the other things - it's hardly like you have to be rich in order to go to a coffee shop. You can get a cup of tea in costa (IIRC) for £1.30. I personally don't like pubs and would much rather go to a coffee shop. I prefer that setting. I don't see how it would be an example of a hedonistic lifestyle,

Clubs and clubbing have existed for decades now, they aren't new. I'm not a regular club goer though, I'd say I've gone to a club once/twice a year.

Resturants have grown because there is a market - most of it isn't really about young, single people but about attracting middle-class families. In my family it's those who are upper middle class who I see going to restaurants the most, and when I've been in restaurants I see families there mostly.

I don't see how more taxis prove a hedonistic lifestyle either - all it shows is that there's more competition now. What I'm seeing is that smartphones have changed the nature how people get taxis now - most people I know use an uber because it's convenient.
  • Options

youre young

The rot set in with generation X. They were the first ones to be brought up in the "everyone's a winner, no matter how hard you try" education mentality of loony local authorities in the late 1970s. But it had truly taken over among millennials. There's nothing wrong with enjoying yourself *when you can afford it*. The problem with my generation is they do it when they have a couple hundred quid in their bank account and no property or pension to their name. I've known graduates that have blamed the school system for not teaching them how to manage their money, as if they needed a class to point out you shouldn't spend money on stupid crap when you don't have financial security sorted yet.

And now they vote Corbyn to try to get for free what is responsible ones sacrificed for.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

But, I still like you.
    in your dreams sweetie
  • Options
    As I understand it Trump "totally destroying" DPRK is as big a fantasy as hard Brexit with Europe giving in to our "reasonable" demands. The US cant fire its ICBMs - Russia and China not minded to wait for apogee to see if they are getting hit. It can't accurately use air-dropped nukes and guarantee getting Kim's launchers. It can't go after DPRK at all without risking nuclear strikes on Seoul or Tokyo or perhaps L.A.

In short it's Trump demonstrating to the world what an impotent fuck he really is
  • Options
    philiph said:

Beer used to be closer to 3.3%. Your 5.3 is an increase of roughly 60% in alcohol content from a standard beer. 60% more alcohol than you get in a beer of about 3.3%. Think about it.

They make a Christmas brew called 12 days. Nectar of the Gods
  • Options
    philiph said:

I am sure Jean Claude Juncker would tell you it is impossible under the utopian European regulations for there to be too much alcohol in something.

Mind you, he might be giggling inanely, swaying and giving the Nazi salute while he said it.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

youre young

My folks = my parents.

I probably eat out about 5 times a week, though this is largely because I work somewhat peripatetically.
    Where are your mates going out for meals? Unless it's McDonalds or something (that's pretty cheap) they must have some dosh. I tend to out to somewhere like Wagamamas, TGI Fridays, or Nandos which can cost a bit, which is why I keep it to a once in a while thing.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,738

FF43 said:

Sean_F said:

philiph said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I was trying to show there is more than one way to look at a situation. The idea that the "Seventies were Hell" is patent nonsense yet oft repeated.
    Most people got better off. The quality of life grew.
    And the fact is that the Tories were in power 5 years of the 70's.

It was an abysmal decade, especially for anyone working in industry. Easily the worst of my lifetime, and I'm into my seventh. (Don't remember much about the first, though!)
    For you maybe. Not for me or my neighbours.
    That's all true but ...

Why was economic growth, and even more so economic growth per capita, so much higher in the 1970s than it has been in recent years ?

And not unrelated productivity and wages increased much more rapidly in the 1970s than they have since 2000.

And this isn't a British problem either - every first world country has it to varying extent.

Either they were doing something right in the 1970s (and 1980s and 1990s for that matter) which we're not anyone, or we're now doing something wrong, or perhaps the first world has reached some economic plateau from which we don't have the means to escape.
    Globalisation and the lifting out of abject and total poverty of some of the poorest in the world?
    Globalisation has been great for most inhabitants of poor countries, but not for the working classes in rich countries. In terms of boosting overall human happiness, that's great, but that's cold comfort if you're the one whose job disappears.
    Globalisation is not something you can successfully opt out of, as Brexit will show. The key is to do globalisation smarter.
    yes but FF43 is currently opting out of reality so youre not going to win that one
    I'm so opted out of reality that I think your comments wonderfully clever.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

philiph said:

philiph said:

Absolutely. 3.something % beer is much more drinkable, I think...
    Lot to be said for this. 4% was fairly rare, let alone 5%. 3.7/3.8% was the norm. Tasty too. Pleasingly our local has guest beers now and there's usually an "old fashioned" weaker pint or two on offer again these days.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Very true it was those awfull southen beers that did it, nine pints of tetlys was doable but five pints of brakespears would leave me on my back
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

Mortimer said:

But, I still like you.

Context is all.
    Looking at the size of the people in Bury market the other day, I think food riots might be just what is needed.
    Ooooh! Bury market. Still going strong?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Zeitgeist said:

Zeitgeist said:

dixiedean said:

It has been pointed out several times that the Conservatives were in power for half of the 1970's. They gave us the 3-day week and rolling power cuts.

A bit of a rewrite of history there. It was the unions - which had been allowed to grow vicious and all-powerful under Wilson - which gave us the 3-day week and rolling power cuts. It's true that Heath failed to slay the monster, but the next Tory PM did, thank God.
    They live in cloud cuckoo land. They genuinely think more economic damage will come from being an independent country than in trying to replace capitalism.
    What's cloud cuckoo land is believing that Britain isn't currently an independent country. People with such a tenuous grasp of reality as to believe that are going to steer the country onto the rocks.
    If you believe Remain's own forecasts, already proven overly pessimistic, the "rocks" mean a slightly reduced rate of growth that will gradually cause a differential over a couple decades. Corbyn style socialism has ended in full blown economic depression everywhere it has been tried. Even if you take the negative establishment view on Brexit, it is lunacy to put Corbyn in No 10 to stop it. Even more so when he has said he will go through with it.

But then the anti-Brexiteers are driven by religious anger and zealotry, not logic.
    Neither side is driven by logic.
  • Options

glw said:

Me too.

There's none so blind as will not see, even when the word leaps off the screen into the face.
    Clearly leaps from third place in the graph yes - second place on the graph for Leavers.

Here it is in crystal clear NUMERICAL format and you still can't see. You are blind.
    http://www.britishelectionstudy.com/custom/uploads/2016/07/reasons_categories.png
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

glw said:

Me too.

I think immigration was a very big part of it. But, it was also a judgement on 44 years of EU membership.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

youre young

My folks = my parents.

I live in spain and a year ago i could afford to go out three times a week. Now its once if i'm lucky
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

youre young

My folks = my parents.

Where are your mates going out for meals? Unless it's McDonalds or something (that's pretty cheap) they must have some dosh. I tend to out to somewhere like Wagamamas, TGI Fridays, or Nandos which can cost a bit, which is why I keep it to a once in a while thing.
    Yep. It is costly. Most of the non-lawyers/city types are on 30-35k ish - though the ones that go out the most don't have houses...
  • Options
    blueblue said:

If you want your university years to be a roller coaster rebellion against oppressive establishment orthodoxy, the best way is to be a die-hard Conservative ;)

Reminds me of that PLJW quote about conservatism being the 'new counter culture.' Then again he also thought Gen Z would be right wing
  • Options

That's all true but ...

And not unrelated productivity and wages increased much more rapidly in the 1970s than they have since 2000.

And this isn't a British problem either - every first world country has it to varying extent.

Either they were doing something right in the 1970s (and 1980s and 1990s for that matter) which we're not anyone, or we're now doing something wrong, or perhaps the first world has reached some economic plateau from which we don't have the means to escape.

A Marxist economist would tell you it is because the rate of profit has declined, as is its wont to do in the long-term. See, for example, this blog post.

As to what you do about it I'm not sure. Revolution anyone?
  • Options
    edited September 2017

philiph said:

youre young

+1. The way the Zeitgeist and Mortimer talk, you'd think it's only those under the age of thirty (or
    Snip

Don't see why you contrasted pubs with all the other things - it's hardly like you have to be rich in order to go to a coffee shop. You can get a cup of tea in costa (IIRC) for £1.30. I personally don't like pubs and would much rather go to a coffee shop. I prefer that setting. I don't see how it would be an example of a hedonistic lifestyle,

Clubs and clubbing have existed for decades now, they aren't new. I'm not a regular club goer though, I'd say I've gone to a club once/twice a year.

Resturants have grown because there is a market - most of it isn't really about young, single people but about attracting middle-class families. In my family it's those who are upper middle class who I see going to restaurants the most, and when I've been in restaurants I see families there mostly.

I don't see how more taxis prove a hedonistic lifestyle either - all it shows is that there's more competition now. What I'm seeing is that smartphones have changed the nature how people get taxis now - most people I know use an uber because it's convenient.
    I hope taxis are in part down to drink drive.

Pubs are included as they are symptomatic of change.

I don't mind the change, but it is a massive change in expectations of entertainment, regularity of entertainment type of entertainment and I suspect the percentage of income spent on entertainment.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

glw said:

Me too.

I think immigration was a very big part of it. But, it was also a judgement on 44 years of EU membership.
    what does the word immigration tell us, very little

it's simply a catch all for a variety of complaints our politicians have sought to ignore and then to to smother out by crying racist
  • Options
    nichomar said:

philiph said:

Very true it was those awfull southen beers that did it, nine pints of tetlys was doable but five pints of brakespears would leave me on my back
    Indeed. Though the sheer liquid volume of nine pints scares me!
  • Options

blueblue said:

Reminds me of that PLJW quote about conservatism being the 'new counter culture.' Then again he also thought Gen Z would be right wing
    They will be - in about 3 decades time.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

glw said:

Me too.

But, if David Cameron had got serious movement from the EU on the substance of his Bloomberg speech, far fewer of his parliamentary party and activists would have backed Leave, which would have made a huge difference.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

philiph said:

I'm glad we can bond over proper beer.

This is good stuff.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Come on, if you're sinking the French you need a bit of welly.
  • Options
    philiph said:

I'd rather drink 3 pints of Peroni than 9 pints of Tetleys.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

philiph said:

This is good stuff.
    You want to try cotllieghs den nose rein beer 6.5 but only hve one
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Strictly speaking, you're correct. Actually Brexit is a de facto opt out of globalisation. The EU is a globalist construct. Theoretically we can say we don't want THAT globalisation, but something else. But unless we can create a realistic alternative that everyone, and just us talking to ourselves, buys into, it remains simply a rejection of globalisation. That's where we are. Now I think it is likely we won't fully opt out of either globalisation or the EU system but instead end up in a compromised mess.
    The EU predates globalisation. It's a post WWII political project, with historical roots even further back, that seeks to politically unite Europe.

That's what we were opting out from.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Zeitgeist said:

youre young

The rot set in with generation X. They were the first ones to be brought up in the "everyone's a winner, no matter how hard you try" education mentality of loony local authorities in the late 1970s. But it had truly taken over among millennials. There's nothing wrong with enjoying yourself *when you can afford it*. The problem with my generation is they do it when they have a couple hundred quid in their bank account and no property or pension to their name. I've known graduates that have blamed the school system for not teaching them how to manage their money, as if they needed a class to point out you shouldn't spend money on stupid crap when you don't have financial security sorted yet.

And now they vote Corbyn to try to get for free what is responsible ones sacrificed for.
    Until recently every generation had better life chances than their parents. That has gone into reverse. Now you vote to lock in that inequality and are surprised when young people aren't happy with their life. Give over
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Scott_P said:

philiph said:

This is good stuff.
    You want to try cotllieghs den nose rein beer 6.5 but only hve one
    Sounds frightfully foreign, old boy.

Time for the Lancaster Bomber.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

nichomar said:

philiph said:

Indeed. Though the sheer liquid volume of nine pints scares me!
    Not uo to it these days but shitnhappens
  • Options

philiph said:

I'd rather drink zero pints of Peroni than one pint of Tetley...
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @Zeitgeist

1970s Soviet joke:

What would happen if they tried Communism in Saudi Arabia?
    It would be OK at first, but in a few years they would run short of oil (sometimes 'sand').

I was musing on this today because of course that rather aptly sums up what's happened in Venezuela.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

But, if David Cameron had got serious movement from the EU on the substance of his Bloomberg speech, far fewer of his parliamentary party and activists would have backed Leave, which would have made a huge difference.

Cameron would have probably done better with no "renegotiation" at all. It simply reinforced that the EU has one direction of travel, as Juncker has made abundantly clear now.
  • Options
    Zeitgeist said:

LOL at what you said about gen X. Blimey. So you don't like two generations, then?

When I was at school I was never told 'everyone's a winner'. This is a message I also see referenced about the education system under New Labour, but as someone who went school during that period I cannot recall that message, or anything implying such being told to us. Instead, the biggest implied message we got is 'YOU MUST GO UNI OR YOU ARE A FAILURE'.

Also, this idea anyone is getting anything 'for free' is bizarre. Most of those voting for him are either students (people that will pay tax in the future), or those who are already tax payers.

And LOL at the idea that no one who is fiscally responsible voted for Corbyn.
  • Options
    This apparently an entertaining pub crawl, as long as you have a designated driver or two

http://donnington-brewery.com/our_cotswold_pubs.htm
  • Options

philiph said:

I'd rather drink zero pints of Peroni than one pint of Tetley...
    But i now prefer boddingtons when in the uk
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

glw said:

Me too.

If Cameron had got serious movement, Remain would have have won.
This discussion has been closed.