Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov poll has Corbyn ahead of TMay as “best PM”

13»

Comments

• TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

GIN1138 said:

Cameron was forever shooting his mouth off and putting his foot in it.

HMQ "purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring down the phone" anyone? ;)
    Never stopped him making nets gains at a general election.
    One of his biggest gaffe's was his "fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists" put off millions of working class voters from the posh boy.
    In fairness though, he was right about that one.
    Was he,4 million votes says different.
    No. Four million votes says something, not necessarily different though!
    It says you are a bigot and a sore loser. Not sure it says much else apart from that.
    Why would it say that? UKIP got one MP for their four million and I've argued on here many times that they deserved more.
    You changed subject - lol
    Eh? I've not changed the subject at all. What on earth are you on about?
    From nearly calling 4 million ukip voters ''fruitcakes,loonies and closet racist to ukip should have more MP's - lol
  • PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Bobajob_PB - EU workers unemployment is double.
  • Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928
    edited June 2017

GIN1138 said:

Cameron was forever shooting his mouth off and putting his foot in it.

HMQ "purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring down the phone" anyone? ;)
    Never stopped him making nets gains at a general election.
    One of his biggest gaffe's was his "fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists" put off millions of working class voters from the posh boy.
    In fairness though, he was right about that one.
    Was he,4 million votes says different.
    No. Four million votes says something, not necessarily different though!
    It says you are a bigot and a sore loser. Not sure it says much else apart from that.
    Why would it say that? UKIP got one MP for their four million and I've argued on here many times that they deserved more.
    You changed subject - lol
    Eh? I've not changed the subject at all. What on earth are you on about?
    From nearly calling 4 million ukip voters ''fruitcakes,loonies and closet racist to ukip should have more MP's - lol
    Yep. If there are 4 million votes for the Fruitcake Party they should get more than one MP, that's for sure.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited June 2017
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    isam said:
    Perhaps we could offer him a good price for some second-hand cladding to make his wall look nice.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2017
    One of my favourite political quotes was a very simple one from Jim Callaghan in the late 1970s: "If everyone's a special case, no-one's a special case".

The EU have decided to take back control
    The EU image of been the good guys might soon take a knocking.
    Wait, the EU have a good reputation in this country?
    The metropolitan elite TV news media,oh yes,the EU can't do no wrong.
    Oh grow up.

I can tell you're upset that Mrs May is deporting all those EU citizens you don't like.
    Yep ,i bet I am in a majority if we put it to a vote in the country.

That will do me pal.
    I'd hope that you'd be in a minority, and rightly so. I'd say 40% of my son's schoolmates are affected.
    So are these kids parents poor unskilled unemployed then ?
    No. Hard workers. Why don't you look up the EU citizen employment rate vs Brit employment rate before you embarrass yourself?
    You just embarrassed yourself,you haven't even looked at what I said - lol
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Brom said:

No one has helped the leave campaign more than Gina Miller. Her shady backers and disregard for democracy are there for all to see. I would have her on QT every week if I could.

I think you'll find that the Leave campaign ended before Gina Miller began.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Dadge said:

Brom said:

No one has helped the leave campaign more than Gina Miller. Her shady backers and disregard for democracy are there for all to see. I would have her on QT every week if I could.

Well it had won by that point in fairness.
    PAW said:

Bobajob_PB - EU workers unemployment is double.

Wrong.

The Commission's report found that EU migrants were less likely to be non-active than British nationals. While 30% of EU nationals in the UK are non-active, 43% of British nationals are likewise (although, as the OBR has pointed out, this may owe much to the age structure of immigrants, who are more likely to be of working age when they arrive on these shores). Similarly, whereas 77% of working-age EU nationals were employed, 68% of British nationals in the same age bracket could say the same.

Oh grow up.

I can tell you're upset that Mrs May is deporting all those EU citizens you don't like.

That will do me pal.
    I'd hope that you'd be in a minority, and rightly so. I'd say 40% of my son's schoolmates are affected.
    No. Hard workers. Why don't you look up the EU citizen employment rate vs Brit employment rate before you embarrass yourself?
    What are you on? It was you who said you would celebrate mass EU deportations. Good night.
  • PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Bobajob_PB - are you counting students as in work?
    Dadge said:

Brom said:

The latest incarnation of the Leave campaign 'Change Britain' has given up. They were supposed to begin campaigning after the election but there's not been a word from them.
    edited June 2017

Oh grow up.

That will do me pal.
    What are you on? It was you who said you would celebrate mass EU deportations. Good night.
    I said i would celebrate mass EU deportations - point it out please or apologise fot lying .
  • DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Portillo not a fan of May, i think it's safe to say! Neil's reasonable suggestion that May might improve a bit over the next few months met with stony silence.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880

FPT

I think Theresa May has grabbed the initiative on the EU citizens and caught the EU on the hop

Why couldn't she be bold and make it a unilateral offer
    For the same reason that has applied for the last year: a UK PM cannot hang out to dry British citizens living in the EU27.

That's exactly what she's doing. She is proposing the have fewer rights than they do now.
    And fewer rights than the EU is proposing to offer, assuming May wants her terms to be reciprocal.

Yep - the EU27 are offering a far more generous package to British citizens than the UK government is.
    The most important difference I can see is that the EU wants anyone who has previously exercised their right to live or work in the UK/EU to maintain that right indefinitely whereas the UK wants to restrict it to people who are resident on the cut off day. There's a massive gulf between the positions.
    Hardcore Leavers won't stand for that. They need and want everyone to be equally immiserated.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Just catching up with QT. So it was the shouty Corbynista that got slung out! :D
    Dura_Ace said:

FPT

I think Theresa May has grabbed the initiative on the EU citizens and caught the EU on the hop

Why couldn't she be bold and make it a unilateral offer
    For the same reason that has applied for the last year: a UK PM cannot hang out to dry British citizens living in the EU27.

That's exactly what she's doing. She is proposing the have fewer rights than they do now.
    And fewer rights than the EU is proposing to offer, assuming May wants her terms to be reciprocal.

Yep - the EU27 are offering a far more generous package to British citizens than the UK government is.
    The most important difference I can see is that the EU wants anyone who has previously exercised their right to live or work in the UK/EU to maintain that right indefinitely whereas the UK wants to restrict it to people who are resident on the cut off day. There's a massive gulf between the positions.
    Hardcore Leavers won't stand for that. They need and want everyone to be equally immiserated.
    Bit of a difference though in 3.2 million EU citizens here to 9 hundred thousand brits in the EU.
    GIN1138 said:

Just catching up with QT. So it was the shouty Corbynista that got slung out! :D

What was he/she shouting about ?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540

Fair enough. They can pay for the move then.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    What'd I miss on QT? :D
    Wonder why they've only released the 'Best PM' data.....

They haven't. They're also revealed Brexit data that shows 'wrong to leave' is now ahead and 58% of people want to prioritise the economy over controlling immigration.
    edited June 2017

They haven't. They're also revealed Brexit data that shows 'wrong to leave' is now ahead and 58% of people want to prioritise the economy over controlling immigration.
    But they haven't released the 'Headline' voting intention numbers?

Edit - and I see you join OGH in believing that a 1 point difference is statistically significant....
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited June 2017
    I see the right learnt the wrong lesson from the failed *demonise Corbyn* strategy;

http://www.conservativehome.com/leftwatch/2017/06/dont-be-fooled-by-mcdonnells-latter-day-conversion-to-peaceful-protest.html

erm.

The PM is besties with Donald "lock her up" Trump.

These kind of attacks on corbyn - or mcdonnell - simply don't work when the alternative is a party that snuggles up to fascists.
    Pong said:

I see the right learnt the wrong lesson from the failed *demonise Corbyn* strategy;

http://www.conservativehome.com/leftwatch/2017/06/dont-be-fooled-by-mcdonnells-latter-day-conversion-to-peaceful-protest.html

erm.

These kind of attacks on corbyn - or mcdonnell - simply don't work when the alternative is a party that snuggles up to fascists.

It's basically a consequence of the tory party aping Farage.

There is a flipside though - if the sane tory party cut themselves loose from the nutters who currently run the show, they have a chance of a majority.

Not likely to happen, imo. Since 2014 the wealthy xenophobic pensioners wing of the party have wrestled back control and they ain't letting go.
    Pong said:

Pong said:

erm.

There is a flipside though - if the sane tory party cut themselves loose from the nutters who currently run the show, they have a chance of a majority.

Not likely to happen, imo. Since 2014 the wealthy xenophobic pensioners wing of the party have wrestled back control and they ain't letting go.
    The same pensioner wing who wanted to clobber pensioners at the last election?
    edited June 2017
    RobD said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

erm.

The same pensioner wing who forced their leader to u-turn on a key manifesto pledge for the first time in any election campaign ever and have now elbowed everything they don't like out of her queens speech.

Yes, that wing of the tory party.

This is always how it ends for the conservatives.

They never learn.
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    RobD said:

A man who kept shouting out after he'd already had a go at speaking was thrown out when he didn't shut up

edited June 2017
    Pong said:

RobD said:

Pong said:

Pong said:

erm.

The same pensioner wing who forced their leader to u-turn on a key manifesto pledge for the first time in any election campaign ever and have now elbowed everything they don't like out of her queens speech.

Yes, that wing of the tory party.

This is always how it ends for the conservatives.

They never learn.
    I thought the cap actually benifitted middle class middle age people who stood to inherit. As for the Queen's speech, that's hardly surprising. They didn't win a majority. Remind me again about Labour's policies on the triple lock and WFA for millionaire pensioners.
  • nunununu Posts: 6,024
    nunu said:
    A good thing for funding pensions!
    edited June 2017
    My mum who is a political weathervane ealier said "I'll be furious if they don't reduce immigration" in relation to E.U FoM. Just becuse it wasn't an isssue at this GE doesn't mean it isn't a salient issue for many. If Farage becomes leader again it will be an important issue once again.

Oh and that YouGoV poll showing people care more about trade than immigration.....be careful-the way you ask the question has a huge impact on the response.
    RobD said:

nunu said:
    A good thing for funding pensions!
    unsustainable.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,880
    nunu said:

My mum who is a political weathervane ealier said "I'll be furious if they don't reduce immigration" in relation to E.U FoM. Just becuse it wasn't an isssue at this GE doesn't mean it isn't a salient issue for many. If Farage becomes leader again it will be an important issue once again.

Oh and that YouGoV poll showing people care more about trade than immigration.....be careful-the way you ask the question has a huge impact on the response.

My mother's career as a political augury is now in tatters. She had voted for the winning party in every GE from 1955 - 2015 but voted for Corbyn this time.
    So, given these 'Best PM' ratings, how far ahead do we expect Labour to be in the voting intention? 5 points? 10 points?
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    Dura_Ace said:

nunu said:

My mother's career as a political augury is now in tatters. She had voted for the winning party in every GE from 1955 - 2015 but voted for Corbyn this time.
    Maybe she was just a few months ahead of time.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2017

So, given these 'Best PM' ratings, how far ahead do we expect Labour to be in the voting intention? 5 points? 10 points?

Does it matter? Who believes the polls anyway? I for one have no faith in them whatsoever.
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    JohnLoony said:

RobD said:

A man who kept shouting out after he'd already had a go at speaking was thrown out when he didn't shut up

I assume we've done all the predictable jokes upthread about it being williamglenn?
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    The 'Not Sure' figure on who would make the nest Prime Minister is also increasing.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969

Depends on if Labour leads on the economy.

History would suggest if the Tories are still leading on the economy then I reckon the Labour lead is sub 3%, if Labour is ahead on the economic question, then we're looking at a Labour lead of 5% plus.
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/878127191783092224

The first rule of .... well ... just about everything in life ... is to completely disregard anything that comes after the word "could". Or "might".
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Dadge said:

Brom said:

The latest incarnation of the Leave campaign 'Change Britain' has given up. They were supposed to begin campaigning after the election but there's not been a word from them.
    They haven't. I was at an interesting event last night with some of the key people in the Leave campaign (not quite sure why I was invited!)

They are more of a lobbying organisation than a campaigning group - and happy with where the government is at (open, global Britain).

Does it matter? Who believes the polls anyway? I for one have no faith in them whatsoever.
    Some believe them when they show Corbyn 'ahead' (sic) of May.......

I'm surprised, one would have thought someone with OGH experience would know that 34 & 35 is a statistical 'tie'.......but there you go......

I'm surprised, one would have thought someone with OGH experience would know that 34 & 35 is a statistical 'tie'.......but there you go......
    It's all about context.

1) A couple of months ago Mrs May was ahead by 39%

2) This is the first time since 2007 that the Labour leader is ahead of the Tory leader on this metric with YouGov.
  • daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    Pong said:

erm.

Trump is no fascist, but the evil Saudis are. The West is backing the wrong side in the main conflict in the ME - why did the USA shoot down a Russian plane that was bombing the islamist terrorists of the"so called" FSA (alias Al Qayda) last week?

2) This is the first time since 2007 that the Labour leader is ahead of the Tory leader on this metric with YouGov.
    Another one who thinks '34' and '35' are different numbers in a poll......
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    daodao said:

Pong said:

erm.

Trump is no fascist, but the evil Saudis are. The West is backing the wrong side in the main conflict in the ME - why did the USA shoot down a Russian plane that was bombing the islamist terrorists of the"so called" FSA (alias Al Qayda) last week?
    That's the irony. The AQ is now an US ally. Their injured are treated in Israel. Mind boggles!

Unless the Tories are in the lead ?
    Dura_Ace said:

nunu said:

She did vote for the winning side !
    edited June 2017
    The City watchdog is taking 'enforcement action' against a number of online bookies, claiming punters are not getting a fair deal.

More follows...

http://news.sky.com/story/online-bookies-face-enforcement-action-10924461
    surbiton said:

He writes on a thread claiming the Labour leader is in the lead when its a statistical tie....
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    surbiton said:

NO. No faith period. The polls were bollocks in 2015 they were bollocks in 2017. Why should anyone believe them?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765

surbiton said:

He writes on a thread claiming the Labour leader is in the lead when its a statistical tie....
    Yougov had them both on 36/36, just after the election.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    After a year of living dangerously, it is the pro-Europeans who now have a spring in their step. “We are not dancing in the streets, but we are back in the game,” one leading figure said. Re-energised Europhile Tories discuss alliances with MPs in other parties. Previously cowed pro-Europeans in the Cabinet flex their muscles, ready to exploit their new clout now that Ms May’s authority has been shot to pieces. The voice of business, unheard in the election, calls for the economy, not control of migration, to be put first.

In this world of topsy-turvy politics, hardline Brexiteers are not in despair yet, but some are nervous. The more paranoid amongst them can again see their worst nightmare coming true. They are relieved that Ms May remains committed to leaving the single market and customs union. But they worry that Parliament could now throw a spanner in all their works.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-referendum-vacuous-gisela-stuart-leading-leave-campaigner-abuse-democratic-process-comments-a7803611.html
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458

Another one who thinks '34' and '35' are different numbers in a poll......
    They are different. Just because they are within the range that is within the 95% certainty doesn't mean they are the same. For instance there is a higher probability that the actual figure for the person on 35% is going to be higher than the person on 34%.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Ten years since the Yorkshire floods started:

' More than 28,000 properties were affected by the flooding that hit large parts of the UK, a BBC survey of local councils suggests.

In Hull, 17,000 properties were flooded. More than 1,000 were affected in East Riding, Sheffield, Doncaster and Wakefield.

As many as 35,000 people were affected by flooding in Hull, with areas across the city inundated. More than 10,000 homes were evacuated and many schools were closed.

It could cost more than £200m to repair the damage to schools, public housing, doctor's surgeries, roads and leisure centres, said Hull City Council leader Carl Minns.

Hull was the "forgotten city" of the floods, said Mr Minns. An appeal, the Hull Flood Fund has been set up.

Visiting the victims, the Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu, said: "The poorest, the most vulnerable people on very low incomes - when these things hit them, it hits them hard." '

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6277996.stm

Notable for inaction from the Labour government
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

Yougov had them both on 36/36, just after the election.
    So they're both going 'backwards'.......
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good morning, everyone.

As with other things, this is more about May weakness than Corbyn strength.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    Not quite what George Osborne predicted a year ago:

' Manufacturing firms reported that both their total and export order books had strengthened to multi-decade highs in June, according to the CBI’s latest Industrial Trends Survey.

•27% of manufacturers reported total order books to be above normal, and 12% said they were below normal, giving a rounded balance of +16%. This was the highest level seen in nearly three decades, since August 1988 (+17%)

•23% of firms said their export order books were above normal, and 10% said they were below normal, giving a balance of +13%. This was the highest balance since June 1995 (+20%) '

http://www.cbi.org.uk/news/manufacturing-demand-strengthens/

NEW THREAD

This discussion has been closed.