Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s polls range from ComRes 12% CON lead to Survation’s

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

BBC showed the "c*nts" clip without bleeping it. OMG.

And their apology lasted almost as long as their coverage of the incident...
    Thankfully it was at 00:20 :p
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

RobD said:

The election campaign just ended, really, didn't it?

I was out with my wife and a bunch of friends at Tower Hill, maybe half a mile away. If we'd turned right and walked to London Bridge for the Jubilee line instead of getting the DLR, as I'd considered...

Fuck.

Stay safe
    Thanks. Home now. Waiting for news from one person from our group who left a little earlier, everyone else accounted for.
    Update: he's now accounted for.
    Great news. Glad to hear he is safe.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Anyone know what a group of 10 odd people wearing purple suit things, with yellowish things on their back and black bags could be?
    Chameleon said:

Anyone know what a group of 10 odd people wearing purple suit things, with yellowish things on their back and black bags could be?

Forensics?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited June 2017
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

BBC showed the "c*nts" clip without bleeping it. OMG.

And their apology lasted almost as long as their coverage of the incident...
    God forbid people are exposed to foul and intemperate language past midnight on a Saturday..
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Not to trivialise all this but when I went to see Depeche Mode at the Bridgehouse in Canning Town many moons ago, it was at least as risky as some of the stuff that has happened this evening.
  • FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Cyan said:

Fucking hell, let's hope this isn't as big as Mumbai. At least 7 people stabbed, 3 with throats cut according to one witness at London Bridge. Source: Daily Mail.

Calm the fuck down it's some guys with knives. Horrific but a million miles away from Mumbai. Do you have any idea of the Mumbai MO?
    Yes but Bombay is not here. Here is here. On balance I would rather terrible stuff happened there than marginally less bad stuff happens here. Internationalists may disagree
    Of course. But we haven't banned cars yet and thousands of people die every year in or because of them (not counting vehicle weapon attacks).

Look at knife crime at the moment and Op Trident. It doesn't affect most people so most people don't care, but it is a thing and it kills a lot of us.
    FFS yes, and we also die from sunstroke and tetanus and getting hit by meteroites (sometimes). What a lily livered posture. These people want to kill us because of who we are, and how we live. And you seek equivalence with cars and kitchen knives....man up or bend the knee to them
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2017

SeanT said:

Floater said:

ab195 said:

I've had enough. It's time to stop this.

You cant even talk about it let alone stop it
    Nuttall actually got BOOED on the Leaders' Debate for merely mentioning that Manchester was a result of "Islamist Extremism".

He didn't say "Islam", he said "Islamist Extremism", and that basic and irrefutable fact was deemed unacceptable by the vile, hectoring lefty audience

Scum.
    I find it utterly bizarre that the left refute the use of the 'i' word in these situations. In fact, are apppalled when it is brought up.

It IS Islamist. That in no way denigrates peaceful followers of Islam, which we know are the vast majority of practitioners in this country. But it is absolutely true that there is an extremist strain of this religion. That is beyond doubt, but it is not a smear on the wider Muslim community.

I am depressed that we even need to be discussing those semantics.
    And we have Muslims at the Qullim foundation saying exactly this. Nawaz makes a huge point of saying it is Islamism that is the problem. He says it is hugely important that we term this Islamism / Islamists.
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

TMay now one Churchillian speech away from a landside..

Au contraire. People could think that her approach has failed.
    I doubt it will make much difference other than maybe seeing a slight shift of any white working class voters who have moved from the Tories to Labour back to the Tories and maybe boost UKIP's score a little. However clearly we need a tougher response, whether tagging all known extremists, a travel ban to and from Libya and Syria without special permission etc
    A travel ban is a no-brainer but look at the uproar when Trump tried to implement one. Liberals still set the agenda.
    Yet the polls in the US actually showed support for the travel ban, it was just the NYC and LA and DC liberal elite which loathed it, Trump's ban was imposed too clumsily ie why Iran and Yemen but not Saudi? However he did include Syria and Libya and it should be focused on those nations
    The justification of countries was based on the intelligence sharing levels. Some countries in the area were both competent and willing to share information on those getting aboard planes headed West and had adequate screening in place on their side for bombs/weapons.

Some were not. So the nature of the regime was largely irrelevant. It came down to whether the US believed that they knew everything about travellers incoming before they boarded.

Whether that's true or not is different - or whether you believe that which may be different again. But it does provide one reason why "why Iran and Yemen but not Saudi".
  • MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    HYUFD said:

BBC now showing coverage of customers down on the floor in a Borough market bar with police at the side

Do you think the c*nt guy will be identified and arrested ?
    RobD said:

Chameleon said:

Forensics?
    That's what I was thinking, but that would imply that it was all contained, which the ever expanding cordon would seem to counter.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

HYUFD said:

BBC now showing coverage of customers down on the floor in a Borough market bar with police at the side

The Met probably have 10 officers working on a voice print ID right now.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Cyan said:

Fucking hell, let's hope this isn't as big as Mumbai. At least 7 people stabbed, 3 with throats cut according to one witness at London Bridge. Source: Daily Mail.

Calm the fuck down it's some guys with knives. Horrific but a million miles away from Mumbai. Do you have any idea of the Mumbai MO?
    Yes but Bombay is not here. Here is here. On balance I would rather terrible stuff happened there than marginally less bad stuff happens here. Internationalists may disagree
    Of course. But we haven't banned cars yet and thousands of people die every year in or because of them (not counting vehicle weapon attacks).

Look at knife crime at the moment and Op Trident. It doesn't affect most people so most people don't care, but it is a thing and it kills a lot of us.
    FFS yes, and we also die from sunstroke and tetanus and getting hit by meteroites (sometimes). What a lily livered posture. These people want to kill us because of who we are, and how we live. And you seek equivalence with cars and kitchen knives....man up or bend the knee to them
    Says the guy running around in circles as though his head was on fire.
    'One man told BBC Radio 5 Live he saw the man with a knife outside Borough Market.

Ben said: "We saw people running away and then I saw a man in red with a large blade, at a guess 10 inches long, stabbing a man, about three times.
    "It looked like the man had been trying to intervene, but there wasn't much he could do. He was being stabbed quite coldly and he slumped to the ground."

Ben said the man walked away with another person, and went towards the Southwark Tavern. He said he then saw a metal chair being thrown at the man.

"Then we heard three gunshots, definitely gunshots, and we ran."'

from Sky. Gunshots could have been armed police from the station.
    Chameleon said:

RobD said:

Chameleon said:

Forensics?
    That's what I was thinking, but that would imply that it was all contained, which the ever expanding cordon would seem to counter.
    Well, they would sweep the cordon to try and find them. perhaps they are working behind that sweep?
  • LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

HYUFD said:

Hate crime, innit?

LucyJones said:

HYUFD said:

Hate crime, innit?

Anything can be a hate crime, according to the police. You just have to report it, and it becomes one.
    RobD said:

Chameleon said:

RobD said:

Chameleon said:

Forensics?
    Well, they would sweep the cordon to try and find them. perhaps they are working behind that sweep?
    True, true. Still seems unnecessarily risky.
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    HYUFD said:

May back at No 10 and to chair COBRA meeting tomorrow morning, quelle surprise!

She should be there now. War Room.
  • RobD said:

The election campaign just ended, really, didn't it?

I was out with my wife and a bunch of friends at Tower Hill, maybe half a mile away. If we'd turned right and walked to London Bridge for the Jubilee line instead of getting the DLR, as I'd considered...

Fuck.

Stay safe
    Thanks. Home now. Waiting for news from one person from our group who left a little earlier, everyone else accounted for.
    Update: he's now accounted for.
    Glad to hear it. My people in the capital were out for the evening, but are all accounted for, hope PBers in London are all safe and well.
    edited June 2017
    From Andy's link

https://twitter.com/bradnolesbest/status/871119471783661573/photo/1

No bollards. Suspect they might be installed in a fair few places after these latest attacks.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    dixiedean said:

Cyan said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

GeoffM said:

This sounds like a Mumbai style attack.

There was a similar one in Bombay too.
    Are you drunk?
    In defence of GeoffM, that annoys me too.

We don't call Lisbon, "Lisboa", Cologne, "Koln", or Rome, "Roma", do we?

Bit too much post-colonial guilt there. And plenty of Bombay residents are annoyed it was renamed too.
    The Bombay/Mumbai thing was pure politics by the Indian Nationalists. As is entirely their right of course but the funny thing is of the 4 Indian friends I have who live in Bombay they all call it Bombay and take the piss out of me if I call it Mumbai.

It is a source of constant argument within the city itself with the split being along political and some social lines. It is not the same as Bejing where all the locals actually call it that.
    Beijing is not the same case. It is merely how you transliterate the Chinese characters into English. It always has been bay_jing... Just how we choose to spell it.
    I never heard anyone pronounce the spelling "Peking" as "Bay-jing". Was the English spelling brought into line with a set of transliteration rules? Then "Москва" should be transliterated as "Moskva" (which most non-Russian speakers would probably pronounce horribly), and Tchaikovsky would lose the T" at the beginning, etc.
    No, but that is how it was intended to be pronounced. Try it in a French accent... The characters are bay [ie Northern] and Zhing [capital). Although it is difficult to transcribe the j/zh sound as we don't really have the letters. (We have only 26). It is not political correctness though, merely a better way of spelling stuff.
    And yes it is transliteration rules, if you know Russian...it is MUCH better.
    RobD said:

LucyJones said:

HYUFD said:

Hate crime, innit?

Anything can be a hate crime, according to the police. You just have to report it, and it becomes one.
    And it no doubt will be.

The phrase always reminds me of Gene Hunt in "Life on Mars":

"Hate crime? As opposed to I really-really like you crime?"

• AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2017
    It's at times like these that I regret the fact that so many kids have smart phones. It means they won't be able to avoid all this bad news like children in the past would have been able to.
    LucyJones said:

RobD said:

LucyJones said:

HYUFD said:

Hate crime, innit?

And it no doubt will be.

Fire up the Quattro....how I miss the fun of that GE campaign...
    People were stabbed in bar, eyewitness who runs security said that one of the attackers had canisters attached.

Highly consistent reports of chairs being chucked at attackers, one attacker having a red shirt and long knives being used. All confirmed by multiple witnesses.
    LucyJones said:

RobD said:

LucyJones said:

HYUFD said:

Hate crime, innit?

And it no doubt will be.

Exactly. 'Hate crime' is a lefty nonsense. A crime is a crime is a crime.
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Not to trivialise all this but when I went to see Depeche Mode at the Bridgehouse in Canning Town many moons ago, it was at least as risky as some of the stuff that has happened this evening.

Listen to yourself. "Depeche Mode as dangerous as ISIS"

Do yourself a favour and go to sleep you doddery, incontinent old cretin.
    Stop panicking Sean - this is the world we live in and you need to understand what is happening.
    BBC reporting one eyewitness saying one man had canisters around his waist....
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    RobD said:

From Andy's link

No bollards. Suspect they might be installed in a fair few places after these latest attacks.

Amazing they are routinely in place TBH
    Mail saying attacks at 5 different locations.....

Do they say where?
    Chameleon said:

People were stabbed in bar, eyewitness who runs security said that one of the attackers had canisters attached.

Highly consistent reports of chairs being chucked at attackers, one attacker having a red shirt and long knives being used. All confirmed by multiple witnesses.

Further to this, an eyewitness said that they were going in and out of bars attacking people. Cordon still expanding.
  • Chameleon said:

canisters ?
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Stop panicking Sean - this is the world we live in and you need to understand what is happening.
    What's happening is that there is a fifth column of Islamists living in the UK and you are happy to turn a blind eye so as not to cause community tension or whatever.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    RobD said:

From Andy's link

Fuck me. Brings it all home when it's somewhere you've walked thousands of times. Spine chilling
    SeanT said:

What?????
    One apparently at The Engineer.
  • SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    AndyJS said:

It's at times like these that I regret the fact that so many kids have smart phones. It means they won't be able to avoid all this bad news like children in the past would have been able to.

I still can't comprehend people who are caught up in an incident like this and the first thing they do is get out the phone to take videos/pictures rather than trying to help people who have been injured.
    If you were lying injured what do you want, somebody to take picture of you or for them to try and help?
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    The bar in the video is the crappy Katzenjammers German beer hall. Popular with hipsters.
    RobD said:

Do they say where?
    No.

Chameleon said:

canisters ?
    Canisters, just checked and that's what the beeb man said, perhaps the reason behind clearing the offices and hotel was in case of a bomb attack?
    BBC saying cordon now several miles across. (I think I heard that right)
  • OK , this seems not in control yet. Wish the safest possible night to everyone in London and the best possible fight for the brave people tackling it.
    Hugs and kisses from Trump!
  • camelcamel Posts: 815
    alex. said:

nunu said:
    That would make sense given the YouGov headline polling number. The question is obviously are they correct.
    Surprised May's doing so well TBH. These aren't "best leader" ratings.
    Well/badly seems to me to be a poor indicator of voting intention.

It seems not an impossible opinion to hold that May is doing badly atm/would make best prime minister and that Corbyn is doing well atm/would make a worse prime minister. I suspect half the posters on PB would hold that view.

• When the IRA bombed our citizens s they had a position that could be discussed politically and people we could negotiate with.

In this case we have nutters who want to kill us just because we are not like them. They seem happy to die, they have no position to discuss and there is nobody to negotiate with.

History suggests where this could end up. We are not that different from our ancestors.
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

What's happening is that there is a fifth column of Islamists living in the UK and you are happy to turn a blind eye so as not to cause community tension or whatever.
    Um no. I am saying that there are and have been many threats throughout the ages to us in the UK and we have coped without panicking like a little girl like Sean, or running away to a neutral country like a pussy.

Police cars still scorching around. Beeb reporting that police were searching trains, did not find what they were looking for.
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Fifth columnists -a great description of what they are.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,839
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Yes, people re killing us for who we are and how we live. And you are accepting that as "the world we live in". Passive, docile, accepting. FFS
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Yep
  • Helicopter carrying SAS landed near LB. Clearly ongoing.

When the IRA bombed our citizens s they had a position that could be discussed politically and people we could negotiate with.

In this case we have nutters who want to kill us just because we are not like them. They seem happy to die, they have no position to discuss and there is nobody to negotiate with.

History suggests where this could end up. We are not that different from our ancestors.

The IRA also sometime warned us of their attacks.
    Just looking at twitter. Faintly amused by all the people tweeting what amounts to "This is nothing to do with Islam". Yet even as they furiously deny any link, they are implicitly acknowledging that this is precisely what they are expecting these incidents will indeed turn out to be.

I think Orwell may have had a word for this phenomenon.
    RobD said:

That combined with the train passenger searches means that they've lost at least one of them imo.
    Saltire said:

AndyJS said:

I still can't comprehend people who are caught up in an incident like this and the first thing they do is get out the phone to take videos/pictures rather than trying to help people who have been injured.
    If you were lying injured what do you want, somebody to take picture of you or for them to try and help?
    The only reason is if they want to film evidence for the police. Sometimes that can be useful.

Helicopter carrying SAS landed near LB. Clearly ongoing.

Source?
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Um no. I am saying that there are and have been many threats throughout the ages to us in the UK and we have coped without panicking like a little girl like Sean, or running away to a neutral country like a pussy.

You've always been an appeaser of terror, and a traitor on Europe. So no change there, then.

Are you actually British?
    Sean you are very funny when you are scared like a girl.
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Yes,This
    Chameleon said:

RobD said:

That combined with the train passenger searches means that they've lost at least one of them imo.
    Will be a good test of how good MI5 actually are. There will be a lot of CCTV to identify them, so the question is can they track them down.
    The steps from London Bridge to the market are very small and cramped, could have easily been the killing fields there. Grim.
    Eyewitness on BBC it sounds like the movie the Purge.
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited June 2017

Helicopter carrying SAS landed near LB. Clearly ongoing.

Yeah some pictures on twitter of the helicopter they use.

Eurocopter Dauphin
    RobD said:

I wondered if that was what the purple suits business was about. Pure speculation on my part.

• CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited June 2017

SeanT said:

Floater said:

ab195 said:

Nuttall actually got BOOED on the Leaders' Debate for merely mentioning that Manchester was a result of "Islamist Extremism".

He didn't say "Islam", he said "Islamist Extremism", and that basic and irrefutable fact was deemed unacceptable by the vile, hectoring lefty audience

Scum.
    I find it utterly bizarre that the left refute the use of the 'i' word in these situations. In fact, are apppalled when it is brought up.

It IS Islamist. That in no way denigrates peaceful followers of Islam, which we know are the vast majority of practitioners in this country. But it is absolutely true that there is an extremist strain of this religion. That is beyond doubt, but it is not a smear on the wider Muslim community.

"Islamist" is a stupid word, and the "moderate" to "extreme" spectrum is confusing. What is an "extreme" Christian, Jew, or Zoroastrian? Does anyone actually see themselves as an "extreme" or "moderate" follower of any of those religions? People are more likely to see themselves as preferring to mix only with members of their own religion, or as not wanting to do that, or as believing that others aren't literalist enough in their observance, or are too literalist. A much more appropriate word is "jihadist". I don't like having to deal with semantics in this context either, but it's necessary, because words have power.

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Yes, people re killing us for who we are and how we live. And you are accepting that as "the world we live in". Passive, docile, accepting. FFS
    You utter, utter dickhead. While you work out whether I am or am not accepting it, please tell me what your master plan is to stop it all, short of you locking yourself up in your bedroom with Teddy?

Eyewitness on BBC it sounds like the movie the Purge.

Those stairs that he's describing them going down are small and twisting. Would have been right at the top of my list of places not to be in a terrorist attack even before tonight.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Copyright N Farage after Charlie Hebdo
    The BBC thinks this may be terrorism.

No, REALLY?
    edited June 2017
    Eye Witness says the attackers screamed "This is for Allah" and claims he has sent the BBC the video of the attack including that.
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Melanie Phillip's book Londonistan explains how it happened. In the 1990s the British security forces decided to turn a blind eye to Islamists as long as they didn't carry out any attacks on British soil. It was okay as a short-term strategy but disastrous in the long-term.
  • oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455
    LucyJones said:

Just looking at twitter. Faintly amused by all the people tweeting what amounts to "This is nothing to do with Islam". Yet even as they furiously deny any link, they are implicitly acknowledging that this is precisely what they are expecting these incidents will indeed turn out to be.

I think Orwell may have had a word for this phenomenon.

It's remarkably how many white English people on social media seem to have detailed knowledge of what it and it's part of Islam, and what Muslims do and don't believe. Do you get this with anything else? It'd be cultural appropriation, or cultural imperialism, or whatever, surely?
    LucyJones said:

RobD said:

I wondered if that was what the purple suits business was about. Pure speculation on my part.

Could be. Chemical attack.
    'Jamie, a witness who was in a restaurant near London Bridge, told the Press Association: "We were in the Black and Blue restaurant, we heard a fight and everyone got up and everyone rushed out of the restaurant and we heard a massive, massive bang.' Sky news.

Canisters a form of distraction grande maybe?
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

You utter, utter dickhead. While you work out whether I am or am not accepting it, please tell me what your master plan is to stop it all, short of you locking yourself up in your bedroom with Teddy?
    I hawe worked it out
  • CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited June 2017
    isam said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Copyright N Farage after Charlie Hebdo
    It goes back to that 1936-39 war I mentioned here earlier today in a country close to Britain, in which fascists took over the country, killed hundreds of thousands, and ruled it for 40 years and the British government did nothing.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

End all Islamic immigration tomorrow. Close all the mosques, ban the burka, ban halal meat production and importation, ban all Muslim schools private and state, cut all aid funding to Islamic countries that fund hate preachers. That's a start.

LucyJones said:

RobD said:

Could be. Chemical attack.
    It's sophisticated by the looks of it, but chemical attacks would be a new frontier for terrorists.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,839
    AndyJS said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Melanie Phillip's book Londonistan explains how it happened. In the 1990s the British security forces decided to turn a blind eye to Islamists as long as they didn't carry out any attacks on British soil. It was okay as a short-term strategy but disastrous in the long-term.
    Blimey. Dereliction of duty that
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

You've always been an appeaser of terror, and a traitor on Europe. So no change there, then.

Are you actually British?
    Sean you are very funny when you are scared like a girl.
    Traitor and appeaser. Own it, and be happy. That's what you are.
    I appreciate you are lashing out. It is perfectly understandable.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,708
    GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

TMay now one Churchillian speech away from a landside..

Au contraire. People could think that her approach has failed.
    I doubt it will make much difference other than maybe seeing a slight shift of any white working class voters who have moved from the Tories to Labour back to the Tories and maybe boost UKIP's score a little. However clearly we need a tougher response, whether tagging all known extremists, a travel ban to and from Libya and Syria without special permission etc
    A travel ban is a no-brainer but look at the uproar when Trump tried to implement one. Liberals still set the agenda.
    Yet the polls in the US actually showed support for the travel ban, it was just the NYC and LA and DC liberal elite which loathed it, Trump's ban was imposed too clumsily ie why Iran and Yemen but not Saudi? However he did include Syria and Libya and it should be focused on those nations
    The justification of countries was based on the intelligence sharing levels. Some countries in the area were both competent and willing to share information on those getting aboard planes headed West and had adequate screening in place on their side for bombs/weapons.

Some were not. So the nature of the regime was largely irrelevant. It came down to whether the US believed that they knew everything about travellers incoming before they boarded.

Whether that's true or not is different - or whether you believe that which may be different again. But it does provide one reason why "why Iran and Yemen but not Saudi".
    Perhaps but a travel ban to Libya and Syria should now be beyond question
  • spire2spire2 Posts: 183
    If there are trained people there sueely the last thing they want is members of the public, quite likely been drinking, getting involved?
    AndyJS said:

Saltire said:

AndyJS said:

The only reason is if they want to film evidence for the police. Sometimes that can be useful.
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Blimey. Dereliction of duty that
    The book was published about 10 years ago IIRC.
    edited June 2017

No, REALLY?

Thinks....just thinks. Donald Trump gets dragged off the golf course on a saturday evening for an incident in a different country for....well President it might be, not sure....

twitter.com/robholley/status/871145847383351296

Everyone should have a G&T right now. :)
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @NBCNightlyNews: Pres. Trump has used Twitter to share news report on London incident.

We aren't relaying president's retweet, as the info is unconfirmed.
    Scott_P said:
    Hmm, assuming that's a rushed mock-up. Needs a bit of InDesign!
  • camelcamel Posts: 815
    Terrifying clip on Sky in a trendy looking bar, all the people being to lie down by the police. Sky apologising for having the word c**t at the end of the clip. Frankly at 00:40, watching on a rolling news the most shocking footage, I doubt anyone is going to be calling Ofcom about the bad language.

I hope no posters have any children likely to be out in the area tonight. Worrying times.
  • Cyan said:

SeanT said:

Floater said:

ab195 said:

Scum.

"Islamist" is a stupid word, and the "moderate" to "extreme" spectrum is confusing. What is an "extreme" Christian, Jew, or Zoroastrian? Does anyone actually see themselves as an "extreme" or "moderate" follower of any of those religions? People are more likely to see themselves as preferring to mix only with members of their own religion, or as not wanting to do that, or as believing that others aren't literalist enough in their observance, or are too literalist. A much more appropriate word is "jihadist". I don't like having to deal with semantics in this context either, but it's necessary, because words have power.

I'm not sure I agree with this, because politicised islam is actually a fairly recent development. Islamists are not just a religious but a twentieth-century political group.
    At least one still at large, gunshots were fired when people were running around, I suspect that the shots were from armed police at London Bridge station.
    Scott_P said:

@NBCNightlyNews: Pres. Trump has used Twitter to share news report on London incident.

We aren't relaying president's retweet, as the info is unconfirmed.

What info? Maybe they should turn on the BBC, that'd confirm it's real.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,554
    SeanT said:

No, REALLY?

OH MY FUCKING GOD IT'S NOT MORMONS, YET AGAIN
    Theresa May's own words - "a potential terrorist incident".

This discussion has been closed.