Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What if this latest from YouGov proves to be correct?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What if this latest from YouGov proves to be correct?

All the sensible people had decided.  The Conservatives’ epic leads of the early part of the election campaign may have dissipated in part, but they remained set for a hefty overall majority. Then YouGov published their first seat-by-seat estimates, which to the consternation of many showed a hung Parliament.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,419
    edited May 2017
    First and great analysis Alastair.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Second!
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    edited May 2017
    Curse of the new thread

FPT

11:13AM
    Big_G_NorthWales said:
    » show previous quotes
    The point about pensioners is that many will already have experienced the penalties of social care with the sale of their homes and asset confiscation to £23,250. If they have not they will be aware of the present system by discussion with fellow pensioners. To many pensioners Theresa May's proposals are a big improvement with the £100,000 guarantee. I explained it to my children yesterday and they fully support the change and even better if there is a cap

My reply

I agree, I wonder how much of this type of conversation has been going on under the radar. When it was announced I supported it. I feel it adresses the thorny problem of end of life care in an equitable manner - the rich will pay more than the poor if they use the 'service' but offset the payment until the estate is settled.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Scottish Conservatives leader Ruth Davidson received a higher satisfaction rating than First Minister Nicola Sturgeon in the survey.

:smiley:
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Scott_P said:
    Thats an epic bit of back-tracking.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    Scott_P said:
    Would a change of 30-40 seats make them herd align with ICM ?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,289
    Looks like they may be doing a 'BA' on their brand
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Scott_P said:
    Would a change of 30-40 seats make them herd align with ICM ?
    It would be in line with a 7 point lead if they were Tory seats
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209
    Just managed to nearly halve the odds on Hammond as next PM on BF.

Sorry guys!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    If you ignored all the other pollsters, and all YouGov's VI/supplementaries and just looked at the crap campaign Mrs May has run. the YouGov analysis doesn't seem implausible.
  • Options
    Anecdata. Unless they are leaving it very late there is zero effort going into Norwich South by the Tories.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

If you ignored all the other pollsters, and all YouGov's VI/supplementaries and just looked at the crap campaign Mrs May has run. the YouGov analysis does seem implausible.

"not" missing?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

If you ignored all the other pollsters, and all YouGov's VI/supplementaries and just looked at the crap campaign Mrs May has run. the YouGov analysis does seem implausible.

"not" missing?
    Yup
  • Options
    edited May 2017

If you ignored all the other pollsters, and all YouGov's VI/supplementaries and just looked at the crap campaign Mrs May has run. the YouGov analysis doesn't seem implausible.

... and then you look at the Leader of the Opposition, and more especially the Shadow Chancellor and Shadow Home Secretary and realise its actually a load of hogwash ;)
  • Options

Anecdata. Unless they are leaving it very late there is zero effort going into Norwich South by the Tories.

Progressive Alliance in action?
  • Options

Greens aren't bothering either. Lib Dems doing a bit. Big Lewis win.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Getting 40 constituencies wrong would go from short by 16 to comfortably majority. Yougov don't have a scooby.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

YouGov should be asked to provide the likelihood function they are feeding into the Hamiltonian Monte Carlo.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    Scott_P said:
    It seems like Yougov are covering every base. 274-345 Conservative seats is a pretty wide range.
  • Options

This was a major Green target seat last time iirc.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    As ever when I do a longer post we get a new thread - so reposting...

We hear a lot about Shy Tories and still factoring that in, but:

1 - the polls showing a 25 point lead and 49-50% prepared to say they were voting Tory a few weeks ago suggested no shyness then. Is this factor now dead in the water? If so, then that spells trouble if the current 42-43 figure is the upper limit. Have the Tories really done anything in the past 3 weeks to start people being shy again? Must admit that the sheer bombardment of anti Tory bile and pro Corbyn fluff on my social media feeds is making me very wary about telling anyone I know of my intentions*, but would it trouble me telling a pollster? Hm.

2 - what about Shy Labour? Surely with a hopeless hapless leader voters a month or two ago were reluctant to admit to being Labour voters. With a strong, effective and competent (until Women's Hour) campaign by Corbyn and the momentum now being firmly towards Labour, and with "nice" freebies for all that nobody can reasonably object to (they might think) in the manifesto, why would anyone be shy about Labour now. Hence the surge - but it may mean 36-38% of voters were always minded to vote Labour. Indeed, they have realised that Corbyn is just the sort of leader they wanted when saddled with bacon sarnie mangler EdM whom they detested?

I am feeling really queasy about this, particularly with the YouGov model panel now reporting more bad news (presumably) every day now till polling day. Feels far too close, there are too many 2015 won seats that the Tories held by a whisker when helped by EdM and the SNP threat (the Tories are barely playing that angle this time), and when is the Tory fightback actually going to start??

[*Actually, no longer about "my intentions". We have a postal ballot this time and I have just popped mine in the postbox. Voted Tory, of course. First time not been able to vote in person - felt very unusual popping it in a postbox and the less than 100% certainty that my vote will actually make it to the counting hall...!]

and:

>>>[SirNorfolkPassmore said:
    » show previous quotes
    And there may be. The places May has chosen to visit lately, however, are different to those at the start of the campaign as they look defensive.

It isn't a perfect indicator, but things like Cameron going to Yeovil late in the 2015 campaign were, with hindsight, an indicator to sell Lib Dem very, very heavily.]>>>>

I had a scroll through some Ashcroft projections. Reassuring in a sense but some look so obviously barmy as to cast doubt on the whole thing - he reckons the Tories will finish second behind Labour in Burnley (where I was brought up) with 33% of the vote. Absolute madness - would be astonished if they even clawed past the LDs back into second. The seat is a clear two horse race between Labour and the LDs and I think a comfortable Labour hold.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

A 10% swing with relatively few kippers to milk (4,500) and a well known Labour candidate with 6,500 each LDs/Greens to poach seems a bit optimistic even in the glory days
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Scott_P said:
    The joke does not really work with Corbyn, who either had forgotten or never knew the figures. It was Abbott whose implausible arithmetic made her seem innumerate.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Scott_P said:
    Why people are allowing themselves to get so worked up by these jokers is beyond me.

The fact they actually came up with a three point LD lead seven years ago as one PBer noted says it all.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    That sounds more positive than what is coming from the UK wide polling - 7 seats for the Scots Tories would be fantastic, although a bit below early campaign expectations. I still fear it may end up as no more than the other 2 border seats alongside Mundell's though.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    In easily digestable tweet form

https://twitter.com/markdiffley1/status/869859761734524928

SCon 25% means no surge in my model (barring a funky voter switching matrix).
  • Options

This was a major Green target seat last time iirc.
    Well there are boards up but there always are. I had a chat with the green council candidate pre locals and even then he was very very gloomy. The Greens lost all their seats in Norwich on the council Elections. Labour plus 10 since then.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Alistair said:

Seems like Scotland has remembered "THAE TORIIIIIES"
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    50 SNP seats (maybe) per both YouGov new approach and now IPSOS Mori.

How ironic if the SNP did hold the balance of power this time rather than last, and even in the teeth of Nicola's expectations.
  • Options
    Clown_Car_HQClown_Car_HQ Posts: 169

Looks like they may be doing a 'BA' on their brand
    Ratnerisation
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Good article from Alastair. Like him, I distrust the YouGov analysis, not least because it contradicts my own experience on the doorstep. That said, I question how representative my own canvassing is given that there are local considerations that make Labour weaker than its 2015 baseline suggests (mostly that 2/3rds of the constituency voted Leave and Mary Creagh not only voted Remain but voted against invoking A50, but also that the Conservatives didn't really start campaigning for 2015 until March that year, given the strategic focus on M&O next door; this year, the parties go in much more on level pegging in terms of preparation).

However, YouGov might be right and if it is then May goes. Her position would be utterly untenable and someone else would have to deliver Brexit.

The question Alastair skims over is whether that need be a Tory at all. If there is a clear anti-Tory majority in the House then there would be nothing at all constitutionally amiss about standing back and letting another party form a government. Doing so would probably lead to another election in the Autumn, by which time the Tories could have picked someone else and Corbyn could have shown his talents in office.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    I see that Caroline Lucas advocates talks with ISIS. How do negotiations go with a group which organises suicide bombers?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/election-2017-40091449

• Options

Scott_P said:
    Why people are allowing themselves to get so worked up by these jokers is beyond me.

The fact they actually came up with a three point LD lead seven years ago as one PBer noted says it all.
    Beats me especially when two far more credible polls come along at the same time with figures indicating a largish majority. They seem to enjoy the sensation of damp underwear.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    Nothing has changed my mind that the conservatives will get 50% and 150 seat majority. The old will vote tory, the young who say they'll vote labour won't.

Next friday everyone will wonder what all the fuss was about.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Wow... you lose internet for a day and what happens... crazyness.
    Great thread from Alastair.
    I'm also on the (549-1 for me) Philip Hammond to be next PM for the grand sum of 2 pounds.

At the same time - I'm struggling to believe that the Labour vote share will be more efficiently distributed than in 2015. Labour are polling a bit more than Miliband, with the Tories consistently getting a lot more than DC. Plus the pollsters may still be overstating Labour share/young may not turn out.

Add all that together - and betting on a Conservative landslide looks increasingly good value to me. Con majority of 200 - 225 at 39-1 on exchange and 175 - 199 at 18.5. DYOR.
  • Options
    Rebacked Labour in Derby North (Well Arbed now) and Brighton kemptown (Slightly underwater) - doesn't ultimately matter though.
  • Options
    Con gain Sedgefield, Lab gain Whitney
  • Options

Good article from Alastair. Like him, I distrust the YouGov analysis, not least because it contradicts my own experience on the doorstep. That said, I question how representative my own canvassing is given that there are local considerations that make Labour weaker than its 2015 baseline suggests (mostly that 2/3rds of the constituency voted Leave and Mary Creagh not only voted Remain but voted against invoking A50, but also that the Conservatives didn't really start campaigning for 2015 until March that year, given the strategic focus on M&O next door; this year, the parties go in much more on level pegging in terms of preparation).

However, YouGov might be right and if it is then May goes. Her position would be utterly untenable and someone else would have to deliver Brexit.

The question Alastair skims over is whether that need be a Tory at all. If there is a clear anti-Tory majority in the House then there would be nothing at all constitutionally amiss about standing back and letting another party form a government. Doing so would probably lead to another election in the Autumn, by which time the Tories could have picked someone else and Corbyn could have shown his talents in office.

YouGov gives weight to the "Coalition of Chaos" slogan. I suspect that will be back over next few days.
  • Options

When Hartlepool goes blue and Battersea goes red we'll know it is end times.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Do we have any other Ipsos Mori poll to compare it with? It's still a big advance for the Tories, compared to 2015.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Given, from memory, the French polls in a tight four horse race with all between about 18-24% were just about bang on a few weeks ago (think there was a slight overestimation of MLP but rest were very accurate and the order of the four was right), what are they doing right?

I don't recall there being such wild divergence a week out as we have over here now in what is essentially only a two horse race, with all very much agreed on where the Libs/UKIP/Nats/Greens and others all are to a fairly narrow degree.

What do they do that our pollster don't? How do other countries compare? I think the Dutch ones overestimated Wilders quite a bit from memory and underestimated Rutte. There was a cock up on an Israeli exit poll that got reversed by the actual result, but are we the British inordinately difficult to poll or do others get problems that we just don't take as much notice of?

As I said last night, barring a convergence between them all again in the final 7 days and it actually being fairly right this time someone is going to get trashed here next Friday morning and I wouldn't want to be the chief exec of whichever company it is.

Is E.R.N.I.E still available for gigs now he's presumably not doing the Premium Bonds I ask?
  • Options

We often forget Witney had a Labour MP, and then David Cameron turned up at it became a Tory majority of 25k.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Wow... you lose internet for a day and what happens... crazyness.
    Great thread from Alastair.
    I'm also on the (549-1 for me) Philip Hammond to be next PM for the grand sum of 2 pounds.

At the same time - I'm struggling to believe that the Labour vote share will be more efficiently distributed than in 2015. Labour are polling a bit more than Miliband, with the Tories consistently getting a lot more than DC. Plus the pollsters may still be overstating Labour share/young may not turn out.

Add all that together - and betting on a Conservative landslide looks increasingly good value to me. Con majority of 200 - 225 at 39-1 on exchange and 175 - 199 at 18.5. DYOR.

Hammond back at 500, for those who fancy a bit of fun.

I too am only on for £2.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

Hard to imagine the Conservative party standing back and allowing Corbyn a chance to be PM though surely?

It would basically be saying:
    'I know we said he was a terrorist sympathiser who was dangerous for national security and would crash the economy, and I know we won 50 more seats and xx more votes, but we just think we should give him a chance to govern because we can't work out who should lead our party?'

Plus if Corbyn can pull this off this kind of result - who is to say being PM might not improve perceptions of him, especially if he gets a few positive things done early doors.
  • Options
    Really looking forward to the front page of The Evening Standard today.
  • Options
    Labour's BME campaign taking a lot of flak. Rightly so as it was patronising in the extreme.
  • Options
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    What if this latest from YouGov proves to be correct?

Then a huge amount of turmoil will follow, not just political but the markets will drop like a stone.

I don't put much faith in opinion polls during a General Election, newspapers want to sell their product and I believe that opinion polls are manipulated during campaigns to make a story. Any change in methodology, sample size and the like should draw a huge amount of scepticism. It is all a game and the politicians are in on it and the general public do not realise that they are manipulated. When I first found out how much deception went on I was shocked from parties claiming they could win (When they have no chance and don't even target enough seats to even be largest party) to how the public are duped into believing that opinion shifts on the tiniest issues.
  • Options
    Clown_Car_HQClown_Car_HQ Posts: 169

We often forget Witney had a Labour MP, and then David Cameron turned up at it became a Tory majority of 25k.
    That would have been Shaun Woodward elected as a Tory and defected to Labour.
  • Options

~Well that labour MP did have a butler after all.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I see that Caroline Lucas advocates talks with ISIS. How do negotiations go with a group which organises suicide bombers?

She then went on to say that it seemed very hard to see ISIS ever sending anyone to engage in talks.
  • Options
    The only reason Hartlepool might not go Tory is if people from Hartlepool are too thick to realise UKIP is out the game everywhere.
    You wouldn't put it past them in all honesty.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Do we have any other Ipsos Mori poll to compare it with? It's still a big advance for the Tories, compared to 2015.
    As far as I'm aware the last Westminster Ipsos Mori/STV poll was back in 2015 for the last general election (which had SNP 54% and Con 17%, both over estiamted, Lab on 20% underestimated).

THey did poll for the local elections which gave SNP 46% Lab17% Con 19% which was comically incorrect.
  • Options

What campaign?

Admittedly I am in a safe Tory seat, but the only campaigners that have been knocking on my door are Labour ones.
  • Options

"May is so crap she has flushed my majority down the toilet"?
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    What fun as first YouGov and now MORI show the SNP on 50 seats.

PB Tories now comforting each other with the thought that tying with Labour for second is really a big surge! Trouble is that politics is about momentum and the Tories have lost their big mo in the north. Unless they lift their depressing campaign they could easily come third in the popular vote.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited May 2017

Surely, you should have added Tatton was in non-Tory hands, but then Osborne converted it into an absolute fortress with a Tory man of 18k.

You do seem to have a curious fixation with the posh boys, tbh.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Getting 40 constituencies wrong would go from short by 16 to comfortably majority. Yougov don't have a scooby.

Which should remind us of just how good the last two exit polls were.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    assuming the Tories win next week who is likely to replace Philip Hammond as chancellor of the Exchequer?
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712
    kjohnw said:

assuming the Tories win next week who is likely to replace Philip Hammond as chancellor of the Exchequer?

YouGove
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    As a thought exercise, and assuming all those seats are Conservative and other marginals, that would leave us exactly where we are now with a tiny Conservative majority. How would that affect the narrative for May and Brexit as Alastair describes in his piece?
    Scott_P said:
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    dr_spyn said:

They go with a bang.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Amber Rudd.
  • Options

Brom said:

Yep but those have REAL votes to count on.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

As far as I'm aware the last Westminster Ipsos Mori/STV poll was back in 2015 for the last general election (which had SNP 54% and Con 17%, both over estiamted, Lab on 20% underestimated).

THey did poll for the local elections which gave SNP 46% Lab17% Con 19% which was comically incorrect.
    A significant understatement of both Conservative and Labour shares.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Alistair said:

SCON > at risk of coming 3rd !

With polls closing tactical voting for SCON also much less likely.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited May 2017
    The YouGov model is a Monte Carol probabilistic model similar to Nate Silver's.

It has a wide range of outcomes of up to 345 seats to the Tories, i.e. an overall Tory majority of 40. I assume this is the 95% upper confidence limit with 275 seats at the lower limit and 310 the mean.

This assumes that the model, the methodology and the data is correct (which it won't be) so the spread is wider and the expectation will not be 310.

I suspect the motive of the Times in publishing the average figure and not the range as it clearly helps the Tory scare narrative.

It is still worth looking at the implications of 310 seats for the Tories and Alistair has done his usual excellent analysis. It might be worth considering the implications at the lower end of the range of Tories with 275 seats, Labour with 282 seats and SNP with around 50 seats.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,852
    Morning again all :)

Anecdotally, I received my postal vote from Newham this morning and I will vote LD with a heavy heart. I've met our local candidate who is a nice chap and who I hope will get back into third place though that doesn't mean a lot.

Just two years on from the 2015 ELE and it's naïve to assume either the Party or the electorate have moved that far. Yes, we may pick up some votes in some key places but as 30% of the 2015 LD vote voted to LEAVE last year (including me) any gains have to be offset by likely defections primarily to the Conservatives.

I suspect the 2017 LD performance will come in three unequal parts:

1) The vast majority of the country will see little or no change from 2015.
    2) In a few more pro-LEAVE areas, the Party will lose support from 2015 and this may put two or three of the MPs at risk and weaken the Party's position further ins eats once held.
    3) In more strongly pro-REMAIN areas there could be some big advances.

While I can conceive of the Party being reduced to 1 MP (Carmichael ?), I hope we'll come out with 6-12 MPs but the transformation of the Party which has begun at membership level will extend all the way up to parliamentary level. 2/3 of the current LD membership joined after 2015 - it is a new party, the Party I joined in 1980 has gone having been shattered by the Coalition Experience.

It is clear the memory of those years hasn't faded with the electorate and the fiasco of tuition fees still holds the Party back like an anchor - to be fair, we see the Conservatives trying to channel what Corbyn said in the 1980s much as they tried to do with the Winter of Discontent 15 years after the event. By 2022, the Coalition will be an equally distant memory.

On matters Brexit, I support a second referendum but the idea that rejecting whatever Treaty is cooked up means committing to remaining in the EU is foolish. We voted to LEAVE and whatever the rights or wrongs of that decision it has to be given the opportunity. There may come a time in the future when a Party can advocate re-joining the EU as a reasonable policy but that time isn't now. There is scope for arguing for a close economic relationship with the EU but the electorate voted against a close political relationship and that has to be respected albeit recognising large areas of mutual co-operation and collaboration exist.

A "soft" Brexit or BINO as I believe it is called is probably the best supporters of the EU can get for now - I don't support that. I think Britain needs to re-join and re-invent EFTA as a free trade grouping - more a "common" market than a "single" market as an economic rather than political counterweight to the EU in which the individual nations retain their political sovereignty but collaborate economically.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Brom said:

I assume John Curtice will be delivering his exit poll from a small cloud hovering in the corner of the studio. 65M hanging on the guru's prognostications.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

As a thought exercise, and assuming all those seats are Conservative and other marginals, that would leave us exactly where we are now with a tiny Conservative majority. How would that affect the narrative for May and Brexit as Alastair describes in his piece?

It would reveal that Mrs May's judgement is suspect. To call an election and wind up with much the same result that you had beforehand does not look good. Her credibility would be weakened.

• Options
    calum said:

Alistair said:

Looks like Nicola has been the real "Strong & stable" leader of the election to me.
  • Options
    Ruth saying that there's no way the SNP can get a mandate for a second Indy Ref was a bit of an error I think. It looks a bit "do as yer telt" and will only energize Indy supporters who were going to give this one a miss plus it doesn't help get out her vote as her attitude is it doesn't matter what happens.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

She then went on to say that it seemed very hard to see ISIS ever sending anyone to engage in talks.
    Which kind of scuppers her entire f***ing point then.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Hard to imagine the Conservative party standing back and allowing Corbyn a chance to be PM though surely?

It would basically be saying:
    'I know we said he was a terrorist sympathiser who was dangerous for national security and would crash the economy, and I know we won 50 more seats and xx more votes, but we just think we should give him a chance to govern because we can't work out who should lead our party?'

Plus if Corbyn can pull this off this kind of result - who is to say being PM might not improve perceptions of him, especially if he gets a few positive things done early doors.
    If you don't have the confidence of the House then you don't have the confidence of the House. It's as simple as that. I suppose there might be merit in deliberately meeting it on a 'no compromise' Queen's Speech and then resigning when it's voted down, just to prove the point. Changing the leader won't change the maths.

But no, Corbyn in office would be embarrassing. He's done well during the campaign because it's his comfort zone. He likes campaigning he's experienced at it; a few repeated slogans go a long way. But think back to his time as parliamentary leader and multiply it several fold for the effect of being PM rather than LotO and you have some idea of what it'd be like.
  • Options
    ‪Another interesting front page. I wonder how The Standard learned about the Gove letter?‬

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/869866543374630912
  • Options

https://twitter.com/george_osborne/status/869866543374630912
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

FF43 said:

It would reveal that Mrs May's judgement is suspect. To call an election and wind up with much the same result that you had beforehand does not look good. Her credibility would be weakened.

FF43 said:

She would have bought 2 years and have no issues with Brexit running into an election.

But history would not be kind on the decision to go early against a very weak Labour leader. Especially when Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbot are so clearly not fit for purpose.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

It looks like a drift back from the SNP to Labour.
  • Options
    Scottish Tories delighted with the STV poll

https://twitter.com/murdo_fraser/status/869866734626504705
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Ruth saying that there's no way the SNP can get a mandate for a second Indy Ref was a bit of an error I think. It looks a bit "do as yer telt" and will only energize Indy supporters who were going to give this one a miss plus it doesn't help get out her vote as her attitude is it doesn't matter what happens.

To be honest ALL the Scottish leaders are superior to their UK counterparts with the exception of Dugdale to Corbyn it seems !
  • Options
    SNP look to be doing a great job of splitting the unionist opposition to me :>
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Pulpstar said:

Brom said:

Yep but those have REAL votes to count on.
    Can't game the exit poll.

If Momentum really has tried to pack the polling panels, it would be hugely ironic if the resulting dodgy polls drove up the Tory vote to block Corbyn - and actually lost Labour seats....
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    With the Labour surge are these other Con marginals worth a nibble?

Hendon: Remain (58%) - Betfair Sportsbook 10.0
    Plymouth Sutton & Devonport: Leave (54%) but 18-24 (26% of constituency) - Betfair Sportsbook 6.0
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

To be honest ALL the Scottish leaders are superior to their UK counterparts with the exception of Dugdale to Corbyn it seems !
    Changed your avatar I noticed. As you campaigning for the SNP in the English Midlands?
  • Options
    Alice_AforethoughtAlice_Aforethought Posts: 772
    edited May 2017
    An ex-minister mused: “The problem with focusing on one person is it is much harder to deflect blame when things go wrong.”

I wonder what ex-minister furnished the Standard (ed: G. Osborne) with this unattributed quote? * innocent face *
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Pulpstar said:

calum said:

Alistair said:

Looks like Nicola has been the real "Strong & stable" leader of the election to me.
    Indeed, Tories raid on OAPs gives the SNP an open goal to target their weakest demographic !
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Changed your avatar I noticed. As you campaigning for the SNP in the English Midlands?
    No, been delivering for Clegg. I do however like parties that can get a clear lead (En Marche, SNP, Rutte's lot) for betting purposes. So in appreciation of that I'm giving my turtle the SNP logo for now :)
  • Options

An ex-minister mused: “The problem with focusing on one person is it is much harder to deflect blame when things go wrong.”

I wonder what ex-minister furnished the Standard (ed: G. Osborne) with this unattributed quote? * innocent face *
    Does it sound like 'Brighton and Hove'?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

dr_spyn said:

My Corbynite girlfriend suggested the same last night. Negotiate with ISIS. Now she's very young but she's also very smart and speaks spanish and Hindi and yet.. such naivety despite her brains. Beggars belief.

She's also brilliantly pretty and sexy and I will forgive her anything, like an old fool. So there we are.
    You can be both highly academic and an utter abject prat. If you're a woman and pretty, some will be prepared to overlook both of these faults.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Except Lab is also making gains in that poll.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Are they ?

Is East Lothian in play :) ?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,985
    What an excellent article. Well done Alistair.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Just watching Corbyn in Reading. Is he trying to win a seat by rubbing in their defeat in the play offs telling them he went to watch Arsenal win the cup final!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

Are they ?

Is East Lothian in play :) ?
    By 1%, it is still a gain!
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

One wonders if Jeremy Corbyn would be prepared to be agree to be circumcised if ISIS demanded it (which in effect they do), and who would verify that he had been. Diane I guess.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    O/T, but Osborne is clearly not intending to ever return to front line politics in the Tory party.

This discussion has been closed.