Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What if this latest from YouGov proves to be correct?

Comments

• Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Or it drags him down to the level of Farron and Nuttall as someone unfit to be PM
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    The PM's decision not to debate has come back to haunt her as Jezza outflanks the Tories again.

Rarely has such a useless potential PM run rings around the incumbent.

Conservative Bedwetting Klaxon Reaching Fever Pitch ....
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    A shrewd move by Corbyn. Up to now Labour have played a blinder this election, the Conservatives have been utterly incompetent and the Lib Dems, (who), have not existed. Will this force "Glumbucket" to take part. Mind you whoever there is I will be watching Britains Got Talent, what does that say?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

it's much more likely to lead to Soft Brexit

ROFLMAO
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Brom said:

Bring back Cameron and Osborne

Yes bring back the days of the Tories polling in the low 30s and struggling to connect with working class voters!
    You think they'd struggle to beat Corbyn. May wouldn't have beaten Miliband.
    Zero logic there.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,289
    Brom said:

Or it drags him down to the level of Farron and Nuttall as someone unfit to be PM
    Opens him to attacks from everyone and on the day his immigration paper is leaked. Maybe too clever by half comes to mind. Should have sent Thornberry who can be very good
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Well done Corbyn. Hopefully everyone else there will highlight May's cowardice and contempt for the democratic process.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    theakes said:

A shrewd move by Corbyn. Up to now Labour have played a blinder this election, the Conservatives have been utterly incompetent and the Lib Dems, (who), have not existed. Will this force "Glumbucket" to take part. Mind you whoever there is I will be watching Britains Got Talent, what does that say?

Corbyn has played a blinder. I think it's more chance than design. He is 'winging it' to a certain degree but doing it well (unbelievably).
  • Options
    JackW said:

The PM's decision not to debate has come back to haunt her as Jezza outflanks the Tories again.

So why did it not help Miliband 2 years ago? If no one stands head and shoulders above others then the only winners of the exercise are those not present who look Prime Ministerial in their absence. Corbyn needs to win that debate big and he'll get attacked from all sides.
  • Options
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    May should obviously get in there with Corbyn this evening.. Being perceived as frit is the worse of two bad options for her
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Brom said:

JackW said:

So why did it not help Miliband 2 years ago? If no one stands head and shoulders above others then the only winners of the exercise are those not present who look Prime Ministerial in their absence. Corbyn needs to win that debate big and he'll get attacked from all sides.
    This is a bit different. Cameron did the seven way debate. The one you're thinking of is the five way debate which Cameron and Clegg sat out for reasons I can't remember.
  • Options
    klangklang Posts: 1
    Panelbase say their poll follows a change in methodology - would have seen a 6% narrowing like for like. They say it's a Sunday times poll - maybe the paper decided not to publish?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    This Tory campaign is worse than Milibands
  • Options
    SeanT said:

You think NOM makes Soft Brexit LESS likely?

It's arguable. But I'd like to hear the argument.

There is no Soft Brexit.

There is Brexit (which is a car crash) or no Brexit.

You voted car crash. Whoever is PM will deliver.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    murali_s said:

dr_spyn said:
    Can someone baxterise the numbers please?
    Con: 388
    Lab: 193
    Lib: 3
    UKIP: 0
    Green: 1
    SNP: 46

Includes rough & ready Scotland assumption of 30/20/40 Con/Lab/SNP - otherwise SNP stay on 56 which is probably unlikely (as is 46 which is almost certainly too low) - have a go yourself:

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=48&LAB=33&LIB=7&UKIP=4&Green=2&NewLAB=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVUKIP=&TVGreen=&SCOTCON=30&SCOTLAB=20&SCOTLIB=5&SCOTUKIP=0&SCOTGreen=5&SCOTNAT=40&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2015
  • Options

Brom said:

Opens him to attacks from everyone and on the day his immigration paper is leaked. Maybe too clever by half comes to mind. Should have sent Thornberry who can be very good
    Completely agree. Thornberry would have been fine. I appreciate Corbyn was good on the Q&A the other night but I don't think this format will suit him. He needs to protect his own vote and ensure they turnout to make it close, so can't afford more slip ups.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Its enough to wake you weep..the Tories being totally outplayed by Corbyn...
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Jezz appears to be enjoying himself, while Theresa palpably isn't. Normally that wouldn't worry me - you don't do politics to have a good time - but we saw with Trump that enthusiasm can be contagious. And we saw with Brexit that voters will throw 'sensible' to the winds and just have fun. Could he, might he ... ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn is set to announce he will take part in tonight's live TV general election debate, according to Press Association sources.

I'm reading into this that if Labour were comfortable with the polls they would have sent Thornberry. Clearly he feels he needs a gamechanger at this point.
    Nah. It means Corbyn is feeling confident. And he's on the front foot, and attacking. He's having a good campaign and he has nothing to lose. He's also noticed that TMay is awkward and stiff at this stuff, so he wins either way. Either she looks a coward, or he takes her on and makes her look dull and dreary and depressing. Again.
    You appear to be warming to Corbyn (NOM?) Sean. You were right earlier when you implied that NOM was the best outcome for the country because it will force a Soft Brexit.
    I'm not warming to Corbyn's dreadful foreign politics or his hateful friends and allies or his ghastly past. I am, however, much more sanguine about NOM as there is indeed a big upside - it's much more likely to lead to Soft Brexit, as we have both said.

The resignation of TMay will not concern me. I dislike her style and her worldview. Her ridiculous refusal to take students out of the migration stats is wilfully self harming to this country. Fuck her and her Ed Miliband manifesto.
    A NOM outcome virtually guarantees a Labour + SNP Coalition, plus the LibDems probably joining in for good measure ....... is that what you really, really want?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited May 2017

Brom said:

Woody Allen said that 80 % of success in life was showing up. May has failed.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    Norm said:

May should obviously get in there with Corbyn this evening.. Being perceived as frit is the worse of two bad options for her

I think so too. Amber Rudd may be great and score some real hits, but the response to every one of them will be, "Why should we listen to you? You're just a stooge because your boss was too afraid to meet the public." Theresa May needs to make her own case.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2017
    It seems to me that the YouGov seat modelling has simply served to obfuscate a rather simple point: just look at their headline vote intention figures:

Con 42 Lab 38 LD 9 UKIP 4

On those figures, of course we would expect a result which is not necessarily to the advantage of Theresa May. Never mind YouGov's 'complex model', just stick the figures into Martin Baxter's simple model, and you'll get a result fairly similar to that produced by YouGov's pointy-heads.

So, in essence, this is simply a poll showing a smaller lead than most other pollsters have been finding, although it's not very different from the 6% lead in the two recent polls from Survation and ORB. More generally, YouGov seem consistently to have been showing smaller leads than other pollsters recently. Overall, we have three pollsters indicating a lead of 4% to 6%, two (ICM and ComRes) in the range 12% to 14%, and two (SurveyMonkey and Opinium) in between.

Could the lower end of those ranges turn out to be accurate? That can't be ruled out, although anecdotal, supplementary and canvassing seem generally to point to a higher figure.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    The reality is the debates do not make a difference in elections.

Cleggasm wasn't real in the end.
    The debates didn't help Miliband either.

Most voters will not sit down for more than an hour on a week day to watch politicians debate especially when Britain's Got Talent is on.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    Norm said:

Being perceived as at Corbyn's beck & call is the worst option.
  • Options
    Clown_Car_HQClown_Car_HQ Posts: 169

Bring back Cameron and Osborne

They left of their own accord.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    murali_s said:

theakes said:

Corbyn has played a blinder. I think it's more chance than design. He is 'winging it' to a certain degree but doing it well (unbelievably).
    Have we all forgotten womens hour? If May had been so unprepared how much ridicule would she still be getting on here
  • Options

Most voters will not sit down for more than an hour on a week day to watch politicians debate especially when Britain's Got Talent is on.

This is of course largely true. The soundbites on the news (which get larger viewing figures) might affect voters a bit though. It just gives the PB community something to discuss though!
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    I think the problem with the Strong and Stable mantra fundamentally is people also want a bit of hopey changey stuff in there too.

The cuts which were backloaded by Osborne are coming through the system now and people are noticing the cumulative deterioration in public services.

Yes most of what Corbyn offers is a fantasy but a fantasy versus the turgid grimacing of May for the next 5-years?

• Options
    Corbyn is great at these. He demolished Owen Smith
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    Scott_P said:
    Leanne Wood's appearance will please many on PB. I wonder if Paul Nuttall will remember her name this time??
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

But that does mean they will be influenced by the headlines afterwards rather than the content (which in fact is what happened in 2010 - people who actually watched the debates were less impressed with Clegg than people who heard or read about it later).

And the most prominent headline will be that Corbyn was there and May wasn't. It's not a good look.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

SeanT said:

You think NOM makes Soft Brexit LESS likely?

It's arguable. But I'd like to hear the argument.

There is no Soft Brexit.

There is Brexit (which is a car crash) or no Brexit.

You voted car crash. Whoever is PM will deliver.
    How can you be sure there is no soft Brexit. The Chris Booker/Richard North option should be revisited.
  • Options
    Brom said:

JackW said:

The best strategy for the small Leftie parties is to soft pedal on Labour, as they are best placed with a NOM.
  • Options

I don't think that was true for Clegg in 2010. He got a much higher percentage of votes than he would have done without the debates.
  • Options
    calum said:

SNIP

Is Nicola coming?

If not, makes Angus look a bit of an arse for asking the question
  • Options
    Brom said:

This is of course largely true. The soundbites on the news (which get larger viewing figures) might affect voters a bit though. It just gives the PB community something to discuss though!
    This place has been hysterical for more than a week now.

It's getting ridiculous.
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    Glad to see Angus Robertson there at 7.30 pm in the debate with Corbyn and co tonight at the BBC.

Robertson has improved out of sight (he was never bad) since he has been able to ask 2 questions at PMQs since 2015.

The extra exposure, which if Corbyn really does turn up tonight as stated should be substantial, should make sure he retains Moray (bang goes one of the 6 Tory gains predicted by IPSOs Mori/STV) .
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Brom said:

JackW said:

The best strategy for the small Leftie parties is to soft pedal on Labour, as they are best placed with a NOM.
    Alternatively they won't have any MPs if the Labour surge happens, so best off showing Corbyn isnt the messiah.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Single Market membership.

So the four freedoms.

Yeah, right.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn is set to announce he will take part in tonight's live TV general election debate, according to Press Association sources.

I'm reading into this that if Labour were comfortable with the polls they would have sent Thornberry. Clearly he feels he needs a gamechanger at this point.
    Nah. It means Corbyn is feeling confident. And he's on the front foot, and attacking. He's having a good campaign and he has nothing to lose. He's also noticed that TMay is awkward and stiff at this stuff, so he wins either way. Either she looks a coward, or he takes her on and makes her look dull and dreary and depressing. Again.
    You appear to be warming to Corbyn (NOM?) Sean. You were right earlier when you implied that NOM was the best outcome for the country because it will force a Soft Brexit.
    I'm not warming to Corbyn's dreadful foreign politics or his hateful friends and allies or his ghastly past. I am, however, much more sanguine about NOM as there is indeed a big upside - it's much more likely to lead to Soft Brexit, as we have both said.

The resignation of TMay will not concern me. I dislike her style and her worldview. Her ridiculous refusal to take students out of the migration stats is wilfully self harming to this country. Fuck her and her Ed Miliband manifesto.
    She seems to choose the exact elements of statism which piss off liberal lefties and libertarian righties equally. Illiberal in the curtain twitching sense of the word. At least she gives you and your girlfriend something to agree upon!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I don't think that was true for Clegg in 2010. He got a much higher percentage of votes than he would have done without the debates.
    The LDs actually lost seats in 2010. Piling up votes where you don't need them is a nonsense in FPTP.
  • Options
    How the EU must be laughing now
  • Options
    SeanT said:

JackW said:

What's your final prediction, Jack?
    Still a Tory landslide.

PBers overact to all the slightest twists and turns whereas most of Jo Public only connect to the campaign in small soundbites and broad themes.

The PM deserves to be uncomfortable over this totally unnecessary election coupled with an uninspiring campaign. Fortunately for her the voters will decide that she is the lesser of two evils and give her an undeserved but stonking majority.

Con 380-400 .. Lab 180-200 .. SNP 45-50 .. LibDem 8-12 .. Others 20-22

• Options
    @JGForsyth: Chance for Amber Rudd tonight to go down in Tory folklore as the person who broke Corbyn’s momentum & ended the campaign wobble ½

@JGForsyth: Suspect polls will swing back to the Tories in the coming days anyway, and Westminster will be inclined to attribute that to the debate 2/2
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    All Wales poll to be published tomorrow
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    bobajobPB said:

Brom said:

Scott_P said:
    SNIP
    Agree - they should send Thornberry. I know she's pretty disliked on here but she's the best in these kind of forums Labour have. Saw her on Marr a few weeks back and she did well against Fallon.
    Thornberry is great. She is by far the most talented MP on the Lab frontbench (I know, I know). And she has a very nice voice.

The way she was traduced over the flags thing was ludicrous. Who would want to live next to a dolt who covers his entire house in flags? It oppressive, and 99% of those who claimed this bloke was a man of the people were hypocrites. They wouldn't much fancy him as a neighbour.
    A comment which unfortunately (because I like and admire much of what you ususlly say on here) reveals an utter disconnect with the lives of so many people living on estates around Britain. They would certainly not view the flying of the English or Scottish flag as oppressive or anything to be criticised. Thornberry was crass and stupid and made her whole party appear arrogant and out of touch.
  • Options
    The debate this evening is a big moment for Amber Rudd - also will highlight the coalition of chaos
  • Options
    Clown_Car_HQClown_Car_HQ Posts: 169

Brom said:

This place has been hysterical for more than a week now.

It's getting ridiculous.
    Agreed,

Daft as brushes.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Norm said:

But she's really really awkward and painful and oddly inarticulate, when it comes to this stuff. And she knows it. Hence her refusal.
    She hates not being in control. Possibly OCPD. If so, she is in the wrong job as a politician. And absolutely the wrong person to lead Brexit, which as we know is all about NOT being in control.
  • Options
    PatrickPatrick Posts: 225
    Part of me wonders if Jezza has played Theresa here. Originally saying 'if she's not coming nor am I' knowing he'd change last minute and leave her looking frit. The larger part of me thinks he isn't smart enough to do that and is just winging it. Albeit winging it reasonably successfully.
  • Options

But that does mean they will be influenced by the headlines afterwards rather than the content (which in fact is what happened in 2010 - people who actually watched the debates were less impressed with Clegg than people who heard or read about it later).

And the most prominent headline will be that Corbyn was there and May wasn't. It's not a good look.
    Corbyn actually did well on Monday and yet the headlines were negative about him. So I wouldn't bet on tonight producing positive headlines for him.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Brom said:

Getting 40 constituencies wrong would go from short by 16 to comfortably majority. Yougov don't have a scooby.

40 on both sides.
  • Options
    JPJ2 said:

Glad to see Angus Robertson there at 7.30 pm in the debate with Corbyn and co tonight at the BBC.

Because Nicola is the least popular leader in Scotland perhaps?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    On the debate and the polls; don't forget it's half term!

On the thread; people might want to have a look at Lancaster as a Labour hold. I got on at 6's yesterday. There's a lot of red around the city and the University is still in term.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    There's one thing missing from this "shut up and vote conservative" campaign.

A good reason to vote conservative.

It would have worked well had she tied the triggering of A50 to her getting a majority.

She triggered the election a month and a half too late and has diffused the issue which tied her voting coalition together.

No. The manifesto should have been little more than a highly political A50 letter to Mr Junker.

"If the country backs me, I will get on the first eurostar to brussels with this letter in my hand!"

Triggering A50 deflated her campaign before it even began.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Scott_P said:

calum said:

SNIP

Is Nicola coming?

No, Angus as WM leader
  • Options

Corbyn actually did well on Monday and yet the headlines were negative about him. So I wouldn't bet on tonight producing positive headlines for him.

@election_data: Expectation-ometer doesn't favour Corbyn in the debate. It did the other night.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Corbyn is great at these. He demolished Owen Smith

LOL my cat could beat Owen Smith in a debate
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Amber Rudd was very strong in the EU-referendum debates. She was fierce and rather scary. This might play well against Jeremy. In any case, she will certainly do a better job than May.

I really think the Tories are paying now for the coronation of May last year. She has no experience of having to pitch herself to the public to get them to like her. Muttering a few cliches can only take you so far when you are dull and inarticulate.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Patrick said:

Part of me wonders if Jezza has played Theresa here. Originally saying 'if she's not coming nor am I' knowing he'd change last minute and leave her looking frit. The larger part of me thinks he isn't smart enough to do that and is just winging it. Albeit winging it reasonably successfully.

There must be *some* reason he left the announcement to the last minute...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    currystar said:

murali_s said:

theakes said:

Have we all forgotten womens hour? If May had been so unprepared how much ridicule would she still be getting on here
    There is a certain human quality to "I just don't know" while trying to get the iPad to work. People can relate to that...
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    It wont be about the debate tonight ..the headlines tomorrow will be around Mays absence.
    That's what will hurt her..
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    calum said:

Scott_P said:

calum said:

SNIP

Is Nicola coming?

No, Angus as WM leader
    So why did Sturgeon do the debate in Scotland? Surely that should have been Robertson too?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pong said:

there's one thing missing from this "shut up and vote conservative" campaign.

A good reason to vote conservative.

It would have worked well had she tied the triggering of A50 to her getting a majority.

She triggered the election a month and a half too late and has diffused the issue which tied her voting coalition together.

No. The manifesto should have been little more than a highly political A50 letter to Mr Junker.

"If the country backs me, I will get on the first eurostar to brussels with this letter in my hand!"

Triggering A50 deflated her campaign before it even began.
    The triggering of Article 50 was what got the kippers in Camp Theresa.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    surbiton said:

Brom said:

Getting 40 constituencies wrong would go from short by 16 to comfortably majority. Yougov don't have a scooby.

40 on both sides.
    Given how WHAT??? the reaction was initially - from the rest of the polling industry - you REALLY think it is 40 wrong in Labour's favour?
  • Options

Norm said:

Being perceived as at Corbyn's beck & call is the worst option.
    Fair enough although personally I don't agree. I guess it all hangs on Rudd - I hope she avoids those Jo 90 specs as she has nice eyes.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I get the impression "the EU" is worried. They want orderly and rational and they want engagement.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    If it's correct then everything we know about leader and economy ratings is wrong. And UNS is beyond broken.
  • Options
    Brom said:

JackW said:

Campaigns and debates are a very important strand in a general election but they are trumped by one other factor. For the non-governing party does their contender appear to be a PM in waiting and at least as competent and preferably better than the incumbent.

If they do game on .... if not, you have Foot, Kinnock, Hague, Howard, Miliband and now Jezza.
  • Options

The debate this evening is a big moment for Amber Rudd - also will highlight the coalition of chaos

TM watching it on TV !
    https://twitter.com/Conservatives
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited May 2017
    JackW said:

SeanT said:

JackW said:

What's your final prediction, Jack?
    Still a Tory landslide.

PBers overact to all the slightest twists and turns whereas most of Jo Public only connect to the campaign in small soundbites and broad themes.

The PM deserves to be uncomfortable over this totally unnecessary election coupled with an uninspiring campaign. Fortunately for her the voters will decide that she is the lesser of two evils and give her an undeserved but stonking majority.

Con 380-400 .. Lab 180-200 .. SNP 45-50 .. LibDem 8-12 .. Others 20-22

The Hersham Special One concurs (with added Hear, Hear guffaws) with that prediction as indeed does another eminent psephologist with whom I shared a pub dinner last night!). Tories will be 12-15% ahead in the popular vote with a resulting majority of over 100.

(I'll be out canvassing in Kingston and Surbiton tomorrow evening and will report back).
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

A NOM outcome virtually guarantees a Labour + SNP Coalition, plus the LibDems probably joining in for good measure ....... is that what you really, really want?
    Or a weak Tory minority govt supported by NI politicians and LDs. What price would they extort? Single Market membership. Ulster voted REMAIN
    Nah, that wouldn't work and anyway the pro-Tory N.I. numbers are tiny, plus the LibDems, all 1 or 2 Black Cabs full, would never again join in with the Tories - so however you run the numbers, NOM HAS to mean Corbyn as PM with Nicola as his deputy. I'm recording this for all time as being your preferred outcome.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

currystar said:

murali_s said:

theakes said:

There is a certain human quality to "I just don't know" while trying to get the iPad to work. People can relate to that...
    I just don't know on a £5 billion policy. But then every labour policy is billions and billions and corporation tax will pay it
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Amber Rudd was very strong in the EU-referendum debates. She was fierce and rather scary. This might play well against Jeremy. In any case, she will certainly do a better job than May.

I really think the Tories are paying now for the coronation of May last year. She has no experience of having to pitch herself to the public to get them to like her. Muttering a few cliches can only take you so far when you are dull and inarticulate.

I suspect if it comes down to knowing numbers, she will have a better grasp than Corbyn demonstrated yesterday.

Rudd can also play the strength-in-depth card. "The Prime Minister is happy to show faith in her fellow Cabinet members. Could anyone imagine Labour offering up Diane Abbot and her abacus to this debate?"
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Pulpstar said:

This Tory campaign is worse than Milibands

Do we have a #Maystone to look forward to?

Ed should have never withdrawn his free owl policy, it could have clinched it for him.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    murali_s said:

currystar said:

murali_s said:

theakes said:

Really???? The policy annoucement was that day and he did not know the figure. It is total ineptness. Would you forgive a Heart Surgeon who had to use an I-Pad to find your heart.?
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    The problem with saying I've never been afraid of debate is the somewhat legitimate observation that you clearly were for 6 weeks before changing your mind at the last minute whilst trailing in the polls.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Or a weak Tory minority govt supported by NI politicians and LDs. What price would they extort? Single Market membership. Ulster voted REMAIN
    Nah, that wouldn't work and anyway the pro-Tory N.I. numbers are tiny, plus the LibDems, all 1 or 2 Black Cabs full, would never again join in with the Tories - so however you run the numbers, NOM HAS to mean Corbyn as PM with Nicola as his deputy. I'm recording this for all time as being your preferred outcome.
    Nicola is not an MP
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Brom said:

Scott_P said:
    SNIP
    Agree - they should send Thornberry. I know she's pretty disliked on here but she's the best in these kind of forums Labour have. Saw her on Marr a few weeks back and she did well against Fallon.
    Thornberry is great. She is by far the most talented MP on the Lab frontbench (I know, I know). And she has a very nice voice.

The way she was traduced over the flags thing was ludicrous. Who would want to live next to a dolt who covers his entire house in flags? It oppressive, and 99% of those who claimed this bloke was a man of the people were hypocrites. They wouldn't much fancy him as a neighbour.
    A comment which unfortunately (because I like and admire much of what you ususlly say on here) reveals an utter disconnect with the lives of so many people living on estates around Britain. They would certainly not view the flying of the English or Scottish flag as oppressive or anything to be criticised. Thornberry was crass and stupid and made her whole party appear arrogant and out of touch.
    Hi Richard, hope you are well. It wasn't just one flag on a pole though – he covered the front of his home in three bedraggled flags, which just looked stupid. I agree that the metropolitan world I live in is a shade removed from many provincial areas but even so I dare say few people would like to live next to a guy who clearly has no respect for the way his house looks and indeed for his neighbours who have to live next to it.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03113/thornberry_3113624c.jpg
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017
    So Jeremy Corbyn will go to tonight's debate. This guy's good. So is Seumas Milne. In your face, Lynton! I wonder what the Tories will balls up next.

*Hands out trouser clips to PB Tories*

For those who don't have TV and don't wish to install iPlayer, the debate will be shown live online here.
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    Scott P.

Ruth Davidson's popularity has plunged with IPSOS Mori by 26 points from last September-and it still isn't comparing like with like relative to Nicola Sturgeon anyway.

Ruth Davidson intellectually is just Kezia Dugdale with better PR. The proof of that can be found in her GE interview by Ponsonby (STV) which I found on the Bella Caledonia blog site.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Nicola is not an MP
    Nobody is at the moment.
  • Options
    Brom said:

Brom said:

Completely agree. Thornberry would have been fine. I appreciate Corbyn was good on the Q&A the other night but I don't think this format will suit him. He needs to protect his own vote and ensure they turnout to make it close, so can't afford more slip ups.
    He has already won this battle just by turning up. He just needs to perform adequately.
  • Options
    @Computer_999: @MarcherLord1 If I was the PM I'd pull Amber Rudd out of it and have nobody there. That would screw them up. Let them have a Lefty Catfight. Win win
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:

The election was supposed to be totally irrelevant to the EU27, wasn't it?
  • Options
    Cyan said:

So Jeremy Corbyn will go to tonight's debate. This guy's good. So is Seumas Milne. In your face, Lynton! I wonder what the Tories will balls up next.

*Hands out trouser clips to PB Tories*

LOL!! Love it!
  • Options
    So, Mr Corbyn what was it about your double digit deficit in the polls that first attracted you to tonight's debate?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

calum said:

Scott_P said:

calum said:

SNIP

Is Nicola coming?

No, Angus as WM leader
    So why did Sturgeon do the debate in Scotland? Surely that should have been Robertson too?
    Scottish leaders is the format
  • Options
    JPJ2 said:

Ruth Davidson's popularity has plunged with IPSOS Mori by 26 points from last September-and it still isn't comparing like with like relative to Nicola Sturgeon anyway.

Scottish Conservatives leader Ruth Davidson received a higher satisfaction rating than First Minister Nicola Sturgeon in the survey.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

He has already won this battle just by turning up. He just needs to perform adequately.
    So how many voters will he win by just turning up and performing adequately when he's 6-14 points behind in the polls? Or do his aspirations lie on keeping the Tories down to a 50 seat majority?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Nicola is not an MP
    Nobody is at the moment.
    But she wont be anyway
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

bobajobPB said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

tlg86 said:

Nicola is not an MP
    Nobody is at the moment.
    But she wont be anyway
    Nor will Leanne
  • Options

murali_s said:

currystar said:

murali_s said:

theakes said:

I just don't know on a £5 billion policy. But then every labour policy is billions and billions and corporation tax will pay it
    Maybe but on the flip side, people are fed up with fear and austerity. It's been great for the rich and powerful as always with the Tories but for everyone else here's some austerity pie! Top that off with a completely hopeless and hapless leader and there you have it. Still think the Tories will win handsomely - they actually deserve to get hammered.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    currystar said:

murali_s said:

theakes said:

Did you just accuse PB of pro Labour bias? *blinks*
This discussion has been closed.