Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeremy Corbyn – Labour’s election gift to Mrs. May and the Tor

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeremy Corbyn – Labour’s election gift to Mrs. May and the Tories

Canvassing in S London Labour seat and every 2nd house it was Jeremy. Never heard such hostility in 4 decades.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Jeremy from Islington on the dog and bone...

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/864151215063617536

Do they really want to go there...like really....I mean like really....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Second :)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    Yup, any seat gains the Tories make at this election will be entirely down to Jeremy Corbyn and not Mrs May (with the exception of Don Valley, where the Tories have an exceptionally brilliant candidate)
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Yes, this could be bloody. Labour's old-style supporters know they're not going to win anything with Corbyn, so just use this election to euthanize him and his gang. If that means five years of Theresa with a vast majority then so be it - just get rid and start afresh.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    "This is of course all reflected in the polls. Upto GE2015 LAB could largely take the working class vote for granted but now large swathes of it have disappeared.

From what I can gather everything that was predicted about Corbyn’s leadership in a general election is actually happening. He is proving a massive negative and his supporters are left trying to find even more excuses."

Except that the headline VI now seems to show Labour doing little or no worse than in 2015. ICM excepted, all of the recent surveys now have Labour on 30-32% GB-wide.

All the more reason to suppose that said surveys are, in fact, bollocks.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Bloody whinging pommes ozzies...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39924107
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525

I would still like to know how many of Corbyn's PMQ emails were simply made up or "organised".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    I thought the 0% was more amazing. There are always a few weird people in polls (hard remainer UKIPs, for example).
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262

No, people have had 44 years of being in the EU. They know how it works.

Sadly, many don't. Many haven't got a clue about the difference between the European parliament and the Commission. And most view the EU as always having been a foreign power separate from Britain, charging huge fees to impose unwanted rules. They will give you a blank look if you try to explain that the acquis was incorporated into British law post-referendum result, meaning that if it was straight cucumbers before then it will be straight cucumbers outside the union too. I have even met people who think Britain has already left the EU.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    MattW said:

I would still like to know how many of Corbyn's PMQ emails were simply made up or "organised".
    I would suggest 102% were organized....Diane did the maths.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    Where are these middle class parts of Dagenham and Rainham??!?!
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    I suppose there's still time for Corbyn to fall on his sword. Any non far left alternative would limit the damage even in the just over three weeks still left.
  • Options
    KenKen Posts: 24
    I'm not a serious gambler, but I have bet a fiver on Labour getting betwixt 30 and 35 percent of the vote at 9/2 and another fiver on them getting between 200 and 249 seats at 7/1. I still expect to collect both bets. I also have high hopes of the Tories taking Clegg and Farron's seats at 10/1 and 8/1 respectively, and Labour holding Burnley at 7/4. All those fiver bets went on last Monday, by the way, and all the odds have now shortened.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    isam said:

Where are these middle class parts of Dagenham and Rainham??!?!

It was made up ?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    If Cameron hadn't promised a referendum, we would likely have had a minority Tory govt with several UKIP MP's including Farage. It seems to me the Remainers think things would have been just like 2010-2015 w Dave, Nick and George chillaxing away, and are comparing the current situation to that
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    RobC said:

I suppose there's still time for Corbyn to fall on his sword. Any non far left alternative would limit the damage even in the just over three weeks still left.

Given he has just hired a communist to run the GE campaign, it ain't going nowhere. The question is how do the sensible Labourites get the supreme leader out.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

HURRAH WE'RE GETTING AN EXIT POLL ON ELECTION NIGHT

Damn. I'm at the theatre. Will have to find a way to look at my phone in Act III. Will try not to whoop if it's the right result.
    Shall I set you up with a portable Klaxon? Very discreet (unless it goes off).
    I think you could at least do a fist-pump and a Yesss!!, whatever the result, if there is still one of the more pompous luvvies on stage who personally abuse people with mobile phones.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    The workers are united against running dog Islington fop Corbyn.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited May 2017

Bloody whinging pommes ozzies...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39924107

And so says a guy who makes millions from the IPL. My heart bleeds...
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Impossible - he's a breath of fresh air I'm let to understand.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Close, but wrong type of gas.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    The "this election is boring and unnecessary" meme is remarkably similar to the "Europe is not an issue of interest to the electorate" idea that was propagated on this site before the referendum.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2017
    Didn't the PB brain trust warn Labour not to make Jeremy the leader? And so it came to pass.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Richard Burgon type of gas?

I'm genuinely worried the Tories might beat him!
  • Options
    Ken said:

I'm not a serious gambler, but I have bet a fiver on Labour getting betwixt 30 and 35 percent of the vote at 9/2 and another fiver on them getting between 200 and 249 seats at 7/1. I still expect to collect both bets. I also have high hopes of the Tories taking Clegg and Farron's seats at 10/1 and 8/1 respectively, and Labour holding Burnley at 7/4. All those fiver bets went on last Monday, by the way, and all the odds have now shortened.

Huh ? 30-35% is not impossible. 200 -249 seats ? Well, I believe 190 is possible 200 + at 7/1 seems right.

Farron's seat is more likely to fall. Clegg is pretty safe, I think.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited May 2017
    Who believes a word Denis MacShane says? The former MP for Belmarsh & Brixton Prison, the ranting lunatic Gabble.

Nothing sums up the EU better than this shambling, self-centred figure.

If we were looking for a microcosm of all that is wrong with British Europhilia, who better than this chancer, this ex-Minister for Europe -- jailed for his fraudulent invoices from the “European Policy Institute”.

Jeremy is worth a thousand Gabbles.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

GeoffM said:

Richard Burgon type of gas?

I'm genuinely worried the Tories might beat him!
    I'm smelling Tories for Burgon in the air tonight.... a new wing of the Red Team?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    "Up to GE2015 LAB could largely take the working class vote for granted"

If all working class people voted Labour, they would win by a 400-seat majority.

About 60% of people in Britain regard themselves as working class (source), and that proportion will increase. More will come to realise that their standard of living is likely to be lower than their parents', and many who have homeowning parents and aren't only children are looking at a lifetime shelling out rent to private landlords. Imagine doing that when you're in your 60s - if you live that long. The Tories can't sell the crap about "enterprise" any more. You have to wonder why on earth they are so popular other than because they're supported by most of the media and because Labour are led by a man who is elderly, has an untidy beard, and doesn't speak in a bossy manner. Never mind that the Labour manifesto actually has some substance and contains many policies that would be wildly popular if they could be got across.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Towards the end of last week I had a long conversation with a Conservative activist who has been canvassing in key target seats in the southeast.

Wait, there are seats in the southeast that don't already belong to the Tories?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    RobC said:

I suppose there's still time for Corbyn to fall on his sword...

Possible..... but only by accident.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    kle4 said:

Towards the end of last week I had a long conversation with a Conservative activist who has been canvassing in key target seats in the southeast.

no seat belongs to anyone, as some Labour Mp's are shortly going to find out.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/864118825188556800

A reminder from the Twittersphere that voting in this General Election is about to get underway. I wonder what percentage of total votes will actually be cast before June 8th?
  • Options

Yes, but there are 50,000 Gabbles to the dollar.

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,314
    edited May 2017
    FPT - Cyclefree - re Hampstead

Thanks Cyclefree.

First, I must declare an interest. She helped a close friend in her battle with Camden Council (say no more) so she ticks the box with me on the question of 'decent constituency MP'.

As soon as I read your point 2 I was agreeing with it and also your point 6. Most of the rest I agree with too, with some qualifications. Brexit would probably be the biggest issue for me (and I don't have a vote in Hampstead myself) so that would clinch it for me. I agree in principle with what you say about Corbyn and the Labour Party but to me that's a secondary concern. I don't lie awake nites worrying about what's to become of either. That's their concern and for the next five years at least the convulsion inside the red tent will be a sideshow. But on the biggest point of all......

I think 4/1 against Tulip blooming again is about the right price.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,993
    Cyan said:

If all working class people voted Labour, they would win by a 400-seat majority.

About 60% of people in Britain regard themselves as working class (source), and that proportion will increase. More will come to realise that their standard of living is likely to be lower than their parents', and many who have homeowning parents and aren't only children are looking at a lifetime shelling out rent to private landlords. Imagine doing that when you're in your 60s. The Tories can't sell the crap about "enterprise" any more. You have to wonder why on earth they are so popular other than because they're supported by most of the media and because Labour are led by a man who is elderly, has an untidy beard, and doesn't speak with a bossy manner. (Never mind that the Labour manifesto actually has some substance and contains many policies that would be wildly popular if they could be got across).

That will certainly not be helped by McDonnell's plans to halve the amount parents can leave their children free of inheritance tax to help them advance up the housing ladder
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Six non-blue seats in the South East. One of those is the Speaker :p
  • Options

kle4 said:

no seat belongs to anyone, as some Labour Mp's are shortly going to find out.
    But what about our dismal Speaker ?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    Cyan said:

About 60% of people in Britain regard themselves as working class (source), and that proportion will increase. More will come to realise that their standard of living is likely to be lower than their parents', and many who have homeowning parents and aren't only children are looking at a lifetime shelling out rent to private landlords. Imagine doing that when you're in your 60s. The Tories can't sell the crap about "enterprise" any more. You have to wonder why on earth they are so popular other than because they're supported by most of the media and because Labour are led by a man who is elderly, has an untidy beard, and doesn't speak with a bossy manner. (Never mind that the Labour manifesto actually has some substance and contains many policies that would be wildly popular if they could be got across).

Fine, but what do Labour propose to do about it? The massive increase in house prices happened on their watch. I see no more workable solutions to this from Labour than from the Tories.
  • Options

A reminder from the Twittersphere that voting in this General Election is about to get underway. I wonder what percentage of total votes will actually be cast before June 8th?

MI5 have already deposited the million ballots for the Tories. Just to make it a level playing field. :smiley:
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    I thought the 0% was more amazing. There are always a few weird people in polls (hard remainer UKIPs, for example).
    Yes, it shows that the Tory vote is rock solid and almost a quarter of the Labour vote is only doing so because they think Corbyn has no chance of becoming PM
  • Options
    Mike

Everything in your thread piece rings true to me. I just have one query.

If these voters are typical, how are Labour recording 30% or so in the polls? They shouldn't be getting anywhere near that level of support.

Curious.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Yup, any seat gains the Tories make at this election will be entirely down to Jeremy Corbyn and not Mrs May (with the exception of Don Valley, where the Tories have an exceptionally brilliant candidate)

Except May polls above her party, especially with the white working class, Corbyn polls below his. I would not be surprised to see Labour hold a few heavily Remain, middle class seats like Hampstead and Kilburn and Ealing Central and Acton which have relatively small majorities but lose some heavily Leave, working class seats like Mansfield and Dagenham with much bigger Labour majorities
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Nigelb said:

Yes, but there are 50,000 Gabbles to the dollar.

How many to the Altarian dollar?
  • Options

Mike

If these voters are typical, how are Labour recording 30% or so in the polls? They shouldn't be getting anywhere near that level of support.

Curious.

Polling Disaster Inquiry MkII on its way.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

MI5 have already deposited the million ballots for the Tories. Just to make it a level playing field. :smiley:
    I still need to work out which constituency I'm voting in.

Nobody will mind if I vote in two constituencies will they? :lol:
  • Options
    RobD said:

I'm worried that there might be a shortage of pencils.
  • Options
    chrisbchrisb Posts: 101
    Nigelb said:

RobC said:

I suppose there's still time for Corbyn to fall on his sword...

Possible..... but only by accident.
    Betway are offering 100-1 that he stands down before the end of May.
  • Options

Mike

Curious.

Their polling models have broken down under the extreme stress of Corbyn.
  • Options

RobD said:

It is every Tory's duty to vote in two constituencies.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

There are still some non-Tory seats in what might broadly be termed the Greater South (SE, SW & E England, excluding London,) but so few of them that I can probably name all of them off the top of my head. Let's give it a go:

Exeter
    Bristol West
    Bristol East
    Bristol South
    Southampton Test
    Hove
    Brighton Pavilion
    Oxford East
    Slough
    Luton North
    Luton South
    Cambridge
    Clacton
    Norwich South
    North Norfolk

Those in the SE region specifically are Southampton Test, Hove, Brighton Pavilion, Oxford East & Slough. My guess is that the Conservatives would fully expect to convert Southampton Test and Hove in this election, and would hope to topple Slough as well.
  • Options

RobD said:

Vote early, vote often....
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

what else are second homes for?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

what else are second homes for?
    Quite right :D
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

"This is of course all reflected in the polls. Upto GE2015 LAB could largely take the working class vote for granted but now large swathes of it have disappeared.

From what I can gather everything that was predicted about Corbyn’s leadership in a general election is actually happening. He is proving a massive negative and his supporters are left trying to find even more excuses."

Except that the headline VI now seems to show Labour doing little or no worse than in 2015. ICM excepted, all of the recent surveys now have Labour on 30-32% GB-wide.

All the more reason to suppose that said surveys are, in fact, bollocks.

This notion that Labour is doing as well as it got under Miliband in the polls is a complete myth and I don't understand where it is coming from.

In 2015 Labour got a bit over 31% of the GB (not UK) vote. Lets round down to 31% to keep it easy.

According to UK Polling Report of the 11 surveys completed in May, Labour has matched the 31% once (ORB) and scored less than 31% in 10 out of 11 surveys. There has not been a single survey where Labour outperformed 31%.

Labour is polling worse now than it achieved under Ed. That is without taking Labour's historical (including 2015) tendency to underperform polls into account.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Jezza starring in Labour's PEB on BBC 1 now.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    What has Tissue Price ever done to deserve the ludicrously overdone praise on here? I'm sure he is a nice bloke - but so is Nick, yet he and other PBMPs don't receive such sycophantic adulation!
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

What has Tissue Price ever done to deserve the ludicrously overdone praise on here? I'm sure he is a nice bloke - but so is Nick, yet he and other PBMPs don't receive such sycophantic adulation!

His adroit usage of multiple usernames.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Damn, ruined the chance for a clean sweep.

Of the other five, at a guess.

Southampton Test. Tory from 79-97, sub 4000 majority with 5500 UKIP vote to squeeze, but small swing to Lab last time, and no Green. Could fall.

Slough. Tory from 83-97, 7000+ majority with small swing to Labour. No green candidate, UKIP are standing with 6000 votes last time. Probably safe for Lab.

Oxford East. Tory 83-87. 15000 majority, big swing to labour in 2015 as LDs collapsed from strong second (got to sub 1000 in 05). Greens standing (Bernie Sanders' brother), no UKIP but small latter vote. Safe as houses for Labour.

Hove. Tory in 73-97 and 2010-2015. Majority just over 1000, 3000+ UKIp vote to squeeze, no candidate, Green's standing. Probably will fall.

Brighton Pavillion. Tory from 1950-1997, but now the people's republic of Brighton. UKIP standing, no LD. Green win probable.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

kle4 said:

There are still some non-Tory seats in what might broadly be termed the Greater South (SE, SW & E England, excluding London,) but so few of them that I can probably name all of them off the top of my head. Let's give it a go:

Exeter
    Bristol West
    Bristol East
    Bristol South
    Southampton Test
    Hove
    Brighton Pavilion
    Oxford East
    Slough
    Luton North
    Luton South
    Cambridge
    Clacton
    Norwich South
    North Norfolk

Those in the SE region specifically are Southampton Test, Hove, Brighton Pavilion, Oxford East & Slough. My guess is that the Conservatives would fully expect to convert Southampton Test and Hove in this election, and would hope to topple Slough as well.
    Not sure about Hove. I understand that the Labour MP is well liked and has been given a real going over by Corbyn. IF this is true I would expect my other half to vote for Peter Kyle, and fair play. I am told he is very good constituency MP
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Brexit would have somehow been less ... fun ... if I'd only voted once.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Well, Nick is a lefty. I don't think I had any clue TP was a Tory, although that might be general cluelessness.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

You're an absurdly envious and embittered individual, all that's bad about the Labour movement.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Can't believe you managed to get 823 votes.
  • Options
    RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

His adroit usage of multiple usernames.
    :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    Anyone seen Plato? I share no brief for her politics but she did provide a useful commentary on Eastbourne in 2015. LD's might hope to regain that seat or more likely Lewes next door
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Mike

Curious.

My issue exactly. All the anecdotal evidence says low twenties....

So which is wrong - the mass of anecdotes or the polling?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Cyan said:

No, people have had 44 years of being in the EU. They know how it works.

Sadly, many don't. Many haven't got a clue about the difference between the European parliament and the Commission. And most view the EU as always having been a foreign power separate from Britain, charging huge fees to impose unwanted rules. They will give you a blank look if you try to explain that the acquis was incorporated into British law post-referendum result, meaning that if it was straight cucumbers before then it will be straight cucumbers outside the union too. I have even met people who think Britain has already left the EU.
    I would give you a blank look if you tried to explain that the acquis was incorporated into British law post-referendum result. The ghastly truth about democracy is that thick proles vote and the only way to mitigate that fact is by reasoning with them, in terms they understand, beforehand, not sneering at them on niche websites a year later. Do a lot of canvassing last June?
  • Options
    RobC said:

Anyone seen Plato? I share no brief for her politics but she did provide a useful commentary on Eastbourne in 2015. LD's might hope to regain that seat or more likely Lewes next door

Got the ban hammer.
  • Options
    RobC said:

Still on the naughty step. Not sure if it is permanent.
  • Options

Mike

Curious.

Unless the students are going to turn out in big numbers?
  • Options

RobD said:

Surely the butler votes by proxy for the true Tory, since they are probably at their holiday home in the Seychelles or hobnobbing with international bankers in Monaco?
  • Options
    RobD said:

GeoffM said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Can't believe you managed to get 823 votes.
    MI5 were very helpful.
  • Options

Mike

Curious.

It's the great conundrum of our times. I'm banking on shy Labour voters. But it could just be the polls are wrong.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Mike

Curious.

As I posted earlier 22% of Labour voters want May to win, they are only voting Labour because they think there is no risk of Corbyn entering No 10
  • Options

kle4 said:

Exeter
    Bristol West
    Bristol East
    Bristol South
    Southampton Test
    Hove
    Brighton Pavilion
    Oxford East
    Slough
    Luton North
    Luton South
    Cambridge
    Clacton
    Norwich South
    North Norfolk

Not sure about Hove. I understand that the Labour MP is well liked and has been given a real going over by Corbyn. IF this is true I would expect my other half to vote for Peter Kyle, and fair play. I am told he is very good constituency MP
    The Labour majority in Hove is very small and thus very likely to be rolled over as part of the national swing. I'm dimly aware of the fact that the local Labour MP there is heartily disliked by the Corbynites, but then again we spent much of the 2015 campaign predicting that a lot of the Lib Dem MPs would buck the trend because of personal brand loyalty votes, and look how that ended up.

If Hove doesn't go back to Con then that would definitely be a surprise in my book.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Yes, this could be bloody. Labour's old-style supporters know they're not going to win anything with Corbyn, so just use this election to euthanize him and his gang. If that means five years of Theresa with a vast majority then so be it - just get rid and start afresh.

There's your mailshot from the Tories to traditional Labour voters in the first 100 target seats:

"Corbyn has vowed to stay on if his vote share is above x%. Help save the Labour Party. Vote Conservative this election."
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Perhaps I can answer because I know and like them both.

TP first established his reputation on PB as a highly knowledgeable punter. I think he developed an interest in becoming an MP only fairly recently and even then he didn't become particularly political in his posts.

Nick has always been more political although he too is a shrewd punter. I think he was an MP when he first started posting here.

In short, I think it's Nick's more 'political' presence here that singles him out for more robust (and occasionally rude) treatment.

I was tempted to conclude that perhaps Labour representatives here get a rougher ride generally, but I recall Stewart Jackson MP used to attract a lot of flak when he was a regular poster here so I don't think the rule holds universally.

That help?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Surely the butler votes by proxy for the true Tory, since they are probably at their holiday home in the Seychelles or hobnobbing with international bankers in Monaco?
    "The butler"? True poverty is defined as only having *one* butler.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Cookie said:

Cyan said:

Fine, but what do Labour propose to do about it? The massive increase in house prices happened on their watch. I see no more workable solutions to this from Labour than from the Tories.
    Labour aren't proposing to do as much as they should, but they have committed to reversing certain benefit cuts and to building 100,000 local council and housing association homes per year. In the private sector they say they will make three-year tenancies the norm, rather than tenancies that only run for six months, as at present; and they promise to give private tenants greater rights.

Personally I would prefer nationalising the banks and once that was done, offering people who are living in a mortgaged property the following choice:

option 1) the government exercises its rights under the mortgage deed and takes ownership of the property, writes off the debt and gives the occupants a secure low-rent tenancy; and

option 2) the status quo: people stay in huge debt and keep having to make loan repayments that are larger than the rent would be.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    GeoffM said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

@kle4 was referring to one's electoral butler. A full-time appointment, whose only duty is to deliver your ballot papers.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Well the others will clearly be serving as personal butlers to the rest of the household of course.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    FPT (and thanks to @Peter the Punter for your comments):-

Some thoughts on Hampstead and Kilburn.

Tulip Siddiq was canvassing in my street last week. She came across as engaging and feisty and rather fun. I was impressed by her willingness to debate with me (and others in my household). Were it not for the Corbyn factor - and based on my impressions of her (and what I know of what she has done as an MP) - I might even be tempted to vote for her. I would not be heartbroken if she remained as my MP.

Her line is this:-

1. Nominating Corbyn was a mistake.
    2. He will be gone after the election.
    3. Cooper, Starmer or Jarvis will be the likely candidates.
    4. May will win.
    5. Important that she does not get such an enormous win that there is no effective opposition.
    6. If Hampstead remains Labour she, Tulip, will be one of the MPs providing such opposition, particularly in relation to Brexit.
    7. I should think of the seat rather than Corbyn.

I can understand her strategy. It makes sense for her - and it may succeed, though it will be tight.

But - and it is a very big but indeed - every vote for Labour will be taken by Corbyn as a vote for him and will make it less likely that he will go.

So 2. won't happen. And if it does (or even if it doesn't) Labour have proved inept at no. 6.

I simply do not want to risk Corbyn using votes for Labour (even if they are given in spite of him rather than because of him) as a reason for him to stay in power and continue his destruction of the Labour party. So much as I liked Tulip and admired her willingness to fight for her seat (in all the time Glenda Jackson was MP I never sight nor sound of her) I simply cannot bring myself to vote for a Labour party which, collectively, has lost its moral compass - sad as that is for the decent people (and there are some - even though some of them have shown all the toughness of marshmallows) in it.

Corbyn and his particular brand of illiberal leftist politics need to be crushed. This is no time for sentimentality just because Corbyn speaks softly, makes jam and likes gardening. Corbynism is a virus which is destroying a once great and fundamentally decent party. That is a shame for us all, regardless of whether or not we support it.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445

Mike

Curious.

Anecdotally, far more than 30% of the people I know who have expressed a preference (in my early 40s suburban Mancunian circle) will vote Labour. I know traditionally Labour voters seem rather keener to shout about their preferences, but if polls were done by anecdotes alone, Labour would be romping home. (Some of them will privately express the view that Corbyn is a berk of the first water, but this will not change their voting intention.)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

I would really enjoy, I mean REALLY ENJOY quizzing Corbyn on his record. So much material. So many disingenuous statements about his honesty and principles. So little time.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    RobD said:

RobC said:

Yes, Plato is now on Morris's blog/twitter account every day with lots of animal photos and stories. I asked her if she wanted to return to PB but got no answer.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

4. May will win.
    5. Important that she does not get such an enormous win that there is no effective opposition.
    6. If Hampstead remains Labour she, Tulip, will be one of the MPs providing such opposition, particularly in relation to Brexit.

She really said all that? Admirably frank. Even though like you, I'd not be able to vote for herr given the circumstances.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

Yes, Plato is now on Morris's blog/twitter account every day with lots of animal photos and stories. I asked her if she wanted to return to PB but got no answer.
    She should stay away.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Or else?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    RobD said:

RobC said:

What right-wing tripe did she say to get herself banned?
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

MikeK said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

She should stay away.
    Or else?
    Or he'll tell his mum.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

Might have called all lefties ugly motherfu****s? I dunno.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    So Jezza has a rally in Leeds Central. You would think that as a member of Leeds Central CLP, a CLP delegate and member of my branch executive I might be invited. Nope.

Perhaps the invitation was only extended to Momentum members, rather than Labour Party members? The location of the event was in the heart of the Momentum stronghold in the city.

I'm sure that Hilary is very grateful to Jezza for coming to the constituency.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Cyclefree said:

Tulip Siddiq was canvassing in my street last week. She came across as engaging and feisty and rather fun. I was impressed by her willingness to debate with me (and others in my household). Were it not for the Corbyn factor - and based on my impressions of her (and what I know of what she has done as an MP) - I might even be tempted to vote for her. I would not be heartbroken if she remained as my MP.

4. May will win.

I can understand her strategy. It makes sense for her - and it may succeed, though it will be tight.

But - and it is a very big but indeed - every vote for Labour will be taken by Corbyn as a vote for him and will make it less likely that he will go.

So 2. won't happen. And if it does (or even if it doesn't) Labour have proved inept at no. 6.

I simply do not want to risk Corbyn using votes for Labour (even if they are given in spite of him rather than because of him) as a reason for him to stay in power and continue his destruction of the Labour party. So much as I liked Tulip and admired her willingness to fight for her seat (in all the time Glenda Jackson was MP I never sight nor sound of her) I simply cannot bring myself to vote for a Labour party which, collectively, has lost its moral compass - sad as that is for the decent people (and there are some - even though some of them have shown all the toughness of marshmallows) in it.

Corbyn and his particular brand of illiberal leftist politics need to be crushed. This is no time for sentimentality just because Corbyn speaks softly, makes jam and likes gardening. Corbynism is a virus which is destroying a once great and fundamentally decent party. That is a shame for us all, regardless of whether or not we support it.

Thanks, Cyclefree. As I said below, the Tory campaign line should be "Save the Labour Party. Vote Conservative this election."
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    edited May 2017
    murali_s said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

That Donald Trump would be elected POTUS.

How we all laughed.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

4. May will win.

In fact, as I keep repeating, Labour's canvassing should be this:

1. We are NOT going to win.
    2. For the good of democracy, we should not have a landslide
    3. How have I done personally as your MP ?

Tulip's arguments are very cogent.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

4. May will win.

She really said all that? Admirably frank. Even though like you, I'd not be able to vote for herr given the circumstances.
    A vote for any labour candidate, no matter what private views they may hold, will be seen as an endorsement of Corbyn. It wasn't the nominating of Corbyn (1) that was the mistake; it was his subsequent victory that has brought Labour to the abyss's edge.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    kle4 said:

Slough. Tory from 83-97, 7000+ majority with small swing to Labour. No green candidate, UKIP are standing with 6000 votes last time. Probably safe for Lab.

Don't forget Fiona Mactaggart is retiring. That may affect the Labour vote as she is personally popular (although I'll admit I'm not sure why).
  • Options
    RobD said:

murali_s said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

Might have called all lefties ugly motherfu****s? I dunno.
    A bit unfair to get a ban for accuracy.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

murali_s said:

RobD said:

RobC said:

That Donald Trump would be elected POTUS.

How we all laughed.
    She didn't predict that - she predicted a narrow Hillary victory
This discussion has been closed.