Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast: Local election debrief, Gene

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    Pay bargaining and increased unionisation across the workforce will also be introduced according to the draft plan

I am curious, as I don't know much about unions generally - how would unionisation be increased via a government policy?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    kle4 said:

Editors have fun picking photos for stories, don't they?
    This time they appear to have selected a picture by Edvard Munch.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

PaulM said:

See Shadsy has Worsley and Eccles South as a toss up 5/6 Labour 5/6 Con (Cllr Lindley, a PBer)

Surprised me. Any thoughts ?

Worsley & Eccles South is no.69 on the Con target list, with a Labour majority of just over 14%. However, it also has a very high Ukip vote, and any seat where the 2015 Ukip vote exceeded the Labour majority has to be considered at least potentially in play.

If we were to assign half of the 2015 Ukip vote to the Tories, then Labour would go into this election with a notional majority of 5%.
    That 50% maths assumes the "gateway drug" theory that Sir Norfolk was advocating earlier. I'm sceptical that it applies in Lancashire mill/mining towns where there will be a real cultural resistance in some parts to actually vote Conservative, even if they agreed on Brexit, Diane Abbot etc etc.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited May 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

'A Labour source warned it is "Ed Miliband's manifesto with hard left hundreds and thousands sprinkled on top".' :D
    That really harsh on ed miliband...He had some policies that I don't think were a good idea (one of which may is copying) but it wasn't batshit insane like team twats effort.

It's less magic money tree and more magic money forrest
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

//twitter.com/Telegraph/status/862398918969233409

It's Fucking batshit insane....
    "The Labour leader also refuses to set a target to cut immigration and instead pledges to scrap rules that force migrants to prove they have enough money to live and work in the UK before they are allowed into the country."

Not exactly a heartfelt appeal to the old WWC is it? I may have to revise my estimate of the Ukip-to-Con defection rate up from a half to two-thirds...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Honestly, given how extreme Corbyn appears, by comparison it doesn't really shock me, this supposed manifesto. The Tories have already prepared me for anything, up to full on communism.

He's not had a terrible start to his campaign really - especially as compared to his shadow cabinet/
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    kle4 said:

Pay bargaining and increased unionisation across the workforce will also be introduced according to the draft plan

I am curious, as I don't know much about unions generally - how would unionisation be increased via a government policy?

Make unionisation compulsory for any firm with 10 or more employees ?
  • Options
    I feel really sorry for the sensible labour MPs who live in reality. They are going to have to try and defend this shit....I can't imagine cooper balls believes in most of the stuff in this leak.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    kle4 said:

Only buy from/deal with unionised suppliers?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,522
    edited May 2017
    What was it that Gerald Kaufman said? I think we have a new winner...
  • Options
    Labour accepts the referendum result and a Labour government will put the national interest first. ... We will end Theresa May’s reckless approach to Brexit, and seek to unite the country round a Brexit deal that works for every community in Britain

Unless there's some crucial words in the '...', that tells me nothing at all. I cannot wait to see if the Con manifesto is as similarly bland and meaningless on the point!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,997

PaulM said:

See Shadsy has Worsley and Eccles South as a toss up 5/6 Labour 5/6 Con (Cllr Lindley, a PBer)

Worsley & Eccles South is no.69 on the Con target list, with a Labour majority of just over 14%. However, it also has a very high Ukip vote, and any seat where the 2015 Ukip vote exceeded the Labour majority has to be considered at least potentially in play.

If we were to assign half of the 2015 Ukip vote to the Tories, then Labour would go into this election with a notional majority of 5%.
    The Tories will probably underperform in Greater Manchester. Like Merseyide (though not to the same degree) the trend is leftward.
  • Options
    Nuclear weapons: Keep Trident. "Labour supports the renewal of the Trident submarine system. But any prime minister should be extremely cautious about ordering the use of weapons of mass destruction which would result in the indiscriminate killing of millions of innocent civilians

Oh come on, what a pointless clarification! I'm sure all other parties supporting Trident don't think being cautious about using it is a good idea.
  • Options
    If team twat get in can the last on out please remember to turn off the lights....
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

I feel really sorry for the sensible labour MPs who live in reality. They are going to have to try and defend this shit....I can't imagine cooper balls believes in most of the stuff in this leak.

Maybe they should stand by their principles and do something about it then.

I have no sympathy for MPs that stood by and did nothing after their No Confidence motion failed to remove him and he was re-elected again. The party should have split then.

Corbyn after facing down his rebels who no confidenced him and has twice been elected has every right and mandate to put his manifesto to the public and be judged accordingly.

The MPs who chose they'd rather be led by Corbyn than leave the comfort blanket of the Labour Party can also be judged accordingly.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906
    OUT said:

Roger said:

OT. This must be the weakest shadow cabinet in living memory. Every spokesperson makes you cringe. I'm not sure they were brains of Britain before the mass resignations but since they've become a horror show.

They're missing the Scottish mafia.
    They're certainly missing the ex shadow secretary of state for Scotland who was excellent
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nuclear weapons: Keep Trident. "Labour supports the renewal of the Trident submarine system. But any prime minister should be extremely cautious about ordering the use of weapons of mass destruction which would result in the indiscriminate killing of millions of innocent civilians

Oh come on, what a pointless clarification! I'm sure all other parties supporting Trident don't think being cautious about using it is a good idea.

It's ridiculous to even pretend to suggest that JC might fire it. We all know, rightly or wrongly, that would never happen. And he's the one who would have the decision.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Oh ffs I am off to the states in a few weeks...Possibly To claim asylum in canada....And I need to work on the way.
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391
    This was my recipe from last Friday: Advice to Labour from a former Tory spin doctor, for what it's worth.
    http://www.lifestuff.xyz/blog/labour-not-corbyn
    Sensible Labour need to seize the opportunity after close of nominations tomorrow... if they don't, they're toast.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

kle4 said:

It's ridiculous to even pretend to suggest that JC might fire it. We all know, rightly or wrongly, that would never happen. And he's the one who would have the decision.
    Yes, he may as well put his Letter of Last Resort on Facebook.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited May 2017
    Sean_F said:

PaulM said:

The Tories will probably underperform in Greater Manchester. Like Merseyide (though not to the same degree) the trend is leftward.
    I have Worsley at seat 394 and Wirral South at seat 395 personally. Am on Wirral South at a ludicrous 8-1 for Labour with Paddy.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

they wont.. I heard a Labour MP on R5 live saying he cannot mention Corbyn on the doorstep for fear of being laughed at. Left on his own by Labour HQ, in a marginal....
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this mos unlikely scenario. Say if not a single person casts a vote, literally not a single one anywhere including the candidates themselves. Who would be our MP's? Does any one know the answer to this constitutional problem?

Lots are drawn then.
    That could be a lot of fun
    I hope you haven't taken off your coat.
    If there were zero votes cast, then all the odd ball candidates would be in with a shout.
    I think Tim Farron will keep his seat regardless.
  • Options

they wont.. I heard a Labour MP on R5 live saying he cannot mention Corbyn on the doorstep for fear of being laughed at. Left on his own by Labour HQ, in a marginal....
    Well the polls say the voters are willing to stick with them as much as 2015, perhaps in part because there seems so little chance of Corbyn becoming PM, so some surprising ones may be saved.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    As I predicted weeks ago, tuition fees are going to under the supreme leader....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/10/labour-party-manifesto-pledges-to-end-tuition-fees-and-nationalise-railways?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Apparently they are going to claim all this 70s left wingery will be fully paid for by simple increase in corporation and inheritance tax....Yeah course it will.
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this mos unlikely scenario. Say if not a single person casts a vote, literally not a single one anywhere including the candidates themselves. Who would be our MP's? Does any one know the answer to this constitutional problem?

Lots are drawn then.
    That could be a lot of fun
    I hope you haven't taken off your coat.
    If there were zero votes cast, then all the odd ball candidates would be in with a shout.
    I think Tim Farron will keep his seat regardless.
    In all seriousness I make him a fair bit more vulnerable than Clegg.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175

As I predicted weeks ago, tuition fees are going to under the supreme leader....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/10/labour-party-manifesto-pledges-to-end-tuition-fees-and-nationalise-railways?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Apparently they are going to claim all this 70s left wingery will be fully paid for by simple increase in corporation and inheritance tax....Yeah course it will.

Free Marxism and gender studies for all!
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Roger said:

OT. This must be the weakest shadow cabinet in living memory. Every spokesperson makes you cringe. I'm not sure they were brains of Britain before the mass resignations but since they've become a horror show.

I heard Angela Rayner use lickle instead of little and Pacific instead of specific in a Radio 4 interview. She is now shadow education secretary. Rolls eyes.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    Tuition fees abolished, everything renationalised, 100 thousand council houses a year...

https://twitter.com/jbeattiemirror/status/862399514442956801
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Borrow big, spend big. It's a valid platform.

Speaking at Leeds community college alongside the shadow education secretary Angela Rayner, Corbyn said: “You’ll have to wait for the manifesto. I know you’re desperate for it and I’ve got some stuff in my pocket, but, sorry, I’m not allowed to give it to you. Is that alright? Do you mind? Can you cope with the excitement?”

That's actually pretty funny, albeit easy to do when preaching to the converted.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

Well the polls say the voters are willing to stick with them as much as 2015, perhaps in part because there seems so little chance of Corbyn becoming PM, so some surprising ones may be saved.
    Possibly but more likely swept away in a Tsunami of votes to kick Corbyn as hard as possible.
    That is the best insurance for Labour. Corbyn crucified at the polls and Labour rebuild after he has gone or failing that in a new party,,, aptly named New New Labour ;)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I remain to be convinced. It's one thing to think: "gee, that JC is a right prat, but I like my local Labour MP so I'll hold my nose and send a vote Labour's way" to actually turn that into a motivation on polling day to troop down to your polling station and actually do it.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited May 2017

Some populist measures in there. I expect a modest Labour bounce after manifesto launch, but will it least till polling day. Time weill tell as ever...
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I remain to be convinced. It's one thing to think: "gee, that JC is a right prat, but I like my local Labour MP so I'll hold my nose and send a vote Labour's way" to actually turn that into a motivation on polling day to troop down to your polling station and actually do it.
    I'm sceptical too, but the numbers don't look apocalyptic for Labour, even though they don't look good.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited May 2017
    Jezza will obliterate Labour's opposition parties on the left with that manifesto. Even Castro couldn't outflank him on the left.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614

Roger said:

I heard Angela Rayner use lickle instead of little and Pacific instead of specific in a Radio 4 interview. She is now shadow education secretary. Rolls eyes.

I wonder if she is Keith Lemon's sister.
  • Options
    The
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

PaulM said:

I have Worsley at seat 394 and Wirral South at seat 395 personally. Am on Wirral South at a ludicrous 8-1 for Labour with Paddy.
    I think the areas more at risk will be those with significant new housing development, ties to defence industry / large amounts of veterans, and strong leave areas. In Manchester and area you have to consider influx of media industry to Media city.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    chestnut said:

Jezza will obliterate Labour's opposition parties on the left with that manifesto. Even Castro couldn't outflank him on the left.

There is no party to the left of that manifesto. – crazy stuff.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Not all of it is crazy - some good stuff in there. Shame about the messenger!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    To be fair, doesn't the German government enforce collective bargaining and it doesn't seem to put off business there?
  • Options
    I wonder how it will go down in Glasgow.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    isam said:

Tuition fees abolished, everything renationalised, 100 thousand council houses a year...

twitter.com/jbeattiemirror/status/862399514442956801

It seems like every media organisation has the "scoop". So either it was some idiot at team twat hit reply to all in an email or they have deliberately leaked it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,453
    murali_s said:

Some populist measures in there. I expect a modest Labour bounce after manifesto launch, but will it least till polling day. Time weill tell as ever...
    No.

Every party gets a bounce after their manifesto launch where they promise motherhood, apple pie and free money realistic and costed spending proposals paid for by sensible taxation increases on somebody else.

It lasts until the next manifesto is launched. Not a nanosecond longer.

And Labour are currently so far behind that launching policies even their own shadow ministers don't understand (admittedly as @Roger noted upthread, possibly the least distinguished set of nonentities since Derby's Who? Who? Ministry of 1852 and arguably since Pitt's famous first cabinet of 1783 when it was famously said the only notable achievement any of them had was the ability to imbibe vast amounts of alcohol) is not likely to make a sufficient difference to make them a political force again.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kle4 said:

Honestly, given how extreme Corbyn appears, by comparison it doesn't really shock me, this supposed manifesto. The Tories have already prepared me for anything, up to full on communism.

He's not had a terrible start to his campaign really - especially as compared to his shadow cabinet/

Renationalizing the industries privatised by Tory Governments since the mid-80s hardly amounts to Communism . The logic of claiming otherwise would imply that Heath - Macmillan - Eden -Churchill et al were dangerous Reds.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,849
    Ishmael_Z said:

kle4 said:

'A Labour source warned it is "Ed Miliband's manifesto with hard left hundreds and thousands sprinkled on top".' :D
    Looking at the spending commitments, that really ought to be billions and trillions.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    And here I was thinking the Green Party proposals with their 4 day week and Universal Basic Pay were a bit nutty.....

Green Party are going to get seriously squeezed though by the Supreme Leader.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,008
    Strange to say it but I quite like bits and pieces from the manifestos of both major parties. If it wasn't for immigration i think I'm a floater
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Renationalizing the industries privatised by Tory Governments since the mid-80s hardly amounts to Communism . The logic of claiming otherwise would imply that Heath - Macmillan - Eden -Churchill et al were dangerous Reds.
    Where did I say it amounts to communism? I was saying the Tories have painted Corbyn as so far to the left he could be outright communist in his manifesto and it would not surprise me. That's why i'm not in some state of shock at how left it is or is not, since nothing would shock me based on Tory preparation.

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

To be fair, doesn't the German government enforce collective bargaining and it doesn't seem to put off business there?

Works councils are quite different from trade unions, to be honest, as a machanism for that.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

chestnut said:

This is the moment in all of his political life he has been waiting for.. sod the party
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Where did I say it amounts to communism? I was saying the Tories have painted Corbyn as so far to the left he could be outright communist in his manifesto and it would not surprise me. That's why i'm not in some state of shock at how left it is or is not, since nothing would shock me based on Tory preparation.

Fair enough - I misread! My mistake.
  • Options
    isam said:

Strange to say it but I quite like bits and pieces from the manifestos of both major parties. If it wasn't for immigration i think I'm a floater

Pick and mix will always find good stuff in all of them.
  • Options

isam said:

twitter.com/jbeattiemirror/status/862399514442956801

It seems like every media organisation has the "scoop". So either it was some idiot at team twat hit reply to all in an email or they have deliberately leaked it.
    Bet you they wouldn't have done so had the CPS had better news this morning.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    My tip 21/10 Paddy Power

Warrington North

General Election 2015: Warrington North[4][5]
    Party Candidate Votes % ±
    Labour Helen Jones 21,720 47.8 +2.3
    Conservative Richard Short 12,797 28.2 -2.1
    UKIP Trevor Nicholls 7,757 17.1 N/A
    Liberal Democrat Stefan Krizanac 1,881 4.1 −16.7
    Green Sarah Hayes 1,264 2.8 N/A

I think this one could go Tory, I grew up here. If the IRA / Corbyn story gets traction or wide publicity, then this could suppress the labour turnout, large UKIP vote to squeeze, Warrington as a whole voted 55% leave and this is the less well off of the two Warrington constituencies.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,408
    ydoethur said:

murali_s said:

No.

Every party gets a bounce after their manifesto launch where they promise motherhood, apple pie and free money realistic and costed spending proposals paid for by sensible taxation increases on somebody else.

And Labour are currently so far behind that launching policies even their own shadow ministers don't understand (admittedly as @Roger noted upthread, possibly the least distinguished set of nonentities since Derby's Who? Who? Ministry of 1852 and arguably since Pitt's famous first cabinet of 1783 when it was famously said the only notable achievement any of them had was the ability to imbibe vast amounts of alcohol) is not likely to make a sufficient difference to make them a political force again.
    If I was in the Shadow Cabinet responsible for putting this nonsense forward imbibing vast quantities of alcohol would be a rational response.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Fair enough - I misread! My mistake.
    Happens to the best of us.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904
    isam said:

Flussshhh
  • Options

And here I was thinking the Green Party proposals with their 4 day week and Universal Basic Pay were a bit nutty.....

Well, that was the idea. There is one poster on these threads who voted for Corbyn in the apparent belief that Green votes had cost him his seat and that a proper left alternative would see them come back to the fold, and therefore he might win his seat again.

He was warned at the time it would be at the cost of every Labour voter who could pass for sane in a clear light deserting the party which would cost them far more seats, but he chose not to listen. He is now about to be given a painful lesson in reality that to judge by his increasingly agitated posts he is not relishing.

Makes you wonder whether those old jokes about politicians are quite so wide of the mark.
  • Options
    timmo said:

chestnut said:

This is the moment in all of his political life he has been waiting for.. sod the party
    ...to be crucified at the polls.. bring it on. Noone believes this batshit is affordable, bar the loonies.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    Is Corbyn planning to carve these manifesto pledges into stone?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

No, it just ignores all the painful and expensive lessons of the last 40 years.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

//twitter.com/Telegraph/status/862398918969233409

It's Fucking batshit insane....
    Well people wanted a truly leftwing labour party back and the wish has come true.
  • Options

Go back to your darkened room and say strong and stable 3000 times

I promise you will feel better
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

murali_s said:

No.

If I was in the Shadow Cabinet responsible for putting this nonsense forward imbibing vast quantities of alcohol would be a rational response.
    It is not hard to imagine that the performances of Abbott, Long-Bailey, Rayner and Burgon would be considerably less inept and embarrassing if they were wasted during their interviews. At least they wouldn't say enough to cause a catastrophe!
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,000
    justin124 said:

kle4 said:

The problem is that the Overton window has shifted massively since then and Labour haven't laid the groundwork to try and move it back.

I wonder if this manifesto has been leaked by the moderates to put pressure on to tone it down. As it stands, this manifesto makes it so easy for the Tories:

In Brexitland, the message is Labour wants open borders and are weak on defence
    In London, I expect we'll see "Labour's tax bombshell" wheeled out again.

I expect bicycling vegans who live in Islington will be delighted but middle England will be horrified.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    Another nibble on a good day for the PB Trumptons:

Trump's approval rating has plummeted to a near-record low of 36%, according to a new Quinnipac University poll.

Crucially, the president lost significant support among key demographics - white voters with no college degree, white men, and independent voters, the poll found.

"There is no way to spin or sugarcoat these sagging numbers," said Tim Malloy, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll. "The erosion of white men, white voters without college degrees and independent voters, the declaration by voters that President Donald Trump's first 100 days were mainly a failure and deepening concerns about Trump's honesty, intelligence and level-headedness are red flags that the administration simply can't brush away."
  • Options
    Are all the manifestoes out yet ?
  • Options
    timmo said:

chestnut said:

I've got a peculiar feeling it will work well for him. Not with Tories, but with the 'progressive alliance'.

timmo said:

chestnut said:

...to be crucified at the polls.. bring it on. Noone believes this batshit is affordable, bar the loonies.
    That could be 35% of the electorate.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,849
    Along with everything else, Macron appears to be a rather accomplished pianist:
    http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2017/05/09/527577050/something-you-didnt-know-about-emmanuel-macron-hes-a-pianist
  • Options
    edited May 2017

+1

Finally, a real Labour manifesto. Not a fan of Corbyn - nice guy but not a leader. If the messenger was different it could be game on...
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,062
    DavidL said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Whatever you think of Corbyn we're still facing the challenge of how to make a modern market economy work. The Tories haven't exactly proved too successful on that front either.
  • Options

Can I be first to point out that meme about the Titanic earlier on (that it was strong and stable 'until it hit the iceberg') is wrong?

It was stable even after it sank. It was still upright as it submerged.

Makes you wonder a bit about whether it might prove an eerily perfect metaphor. Even if Brexit is the equivalent of the Titanic's famously one-sided contest with that iceberg, the government will surely survive it given what is about to happen to Labour.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

murali_s said:

No.

It is not hard to imagine that the performances of Abbott, Long-Bailey, Rayner and Burgon would be considerably less inept and embarrassing if they were wasted during their interviews. At least they wouldn't say enough to cause a catastrophe!
    I was going to say that they might have been more entertaining but that would in fairness be unfair to Abbott.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

timmo said:

chestnut said:

I've got a peculiar feeling it will work well for him. Not with Tories, but with the 'progressive alliance'.

timmo said:

chestnut said:

And what do we get from the tories? - same old sh*t where the wealthy and powerful can do whaever and the rest of us get scrwewed.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    bobajobPB said:

Trump's approval rating has plummeted to a near-record low of 36%, according to a new Quinnipac University poll.

Crucially, the president lost significant support among key demographics - white voters with no college degree, white men, and independent voters, the poll found.

"There is no way to spin or sugarcoat these sagging numbers," said Tim Malloy, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll. "The erosion of white men, white voters without college degrees and independent voters, the declaration by voters that President Donald Trump's first 100 days were mainly a failure and deepening concerns about Trump's honesty, intelligence and level-headedness are red flags that the administration simply can't brush away."

His increasingly odd antics are hanging the Republicans out to dry, he got into power by being anti-politics but the problem is that it turns out not being like all the other evil politicians out there meant he was a clueless loony rather than JFK's wayward son.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

murali_s said:

No.

I was going to say that they might have been more entertaining but that would in fairness be unfair to Abbott.
    That was something Not The Nine O'Clock News would have been proud of!

Good night all.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

chestnut said:

timmo said:

chestnut said:

timmo said:

chestnut said:

And what do we get from the tories? - same old sh*t where the wealthy and powerful can do whaever and the rest of us get scrwewed.
    A message that appeals to 45% of the electorate apparently, millions of whom will not be the wealthy and powerful. Funny old world.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    chestnut said:

timmo said:

chestnut said:

timmo said:

chestnut said:

Could bring wavering labour heartlands back on board - labour back over 30% ?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    murali_s said:

chestnut said:

timmo said:

chestnut said:

timmo said:

chestnut said:

Attempting to rerun the failed policies of the 70s is definitely not the answer. There are lots of radical things you could do, but this is just as is Jezza all the stuff he will believe in to the day he dies no matter how much it shows it has failed. There isn't even a modern twist on it, it is literally photocopied 70s left wing policy document.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Hopefully the Labour manifesto will come in a looseleaf binder so it can be updated daily as the rolling manifesto kicks in !!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    ydoethur said:

Can I be first to point out that meme about the Titanic earlier on (that it was strong and stable 'until it hit the iceberg') is wrong?

Makes you wonder a bit about whether it might prove an eerily perfect metaphor. Even if Brexit is the equivalent of the Titanic's famously one-sided contest with that iceberg, the government will surely survive it given what is about to happen to Labour.
    Yep, First Class to the lifeboats, Steerage to the bottom of the Atlantic, sounds about right.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2017
    41% of London voters want Jeremy Corbyn as commander-in-chief. Just think about that for a moment or two.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,805
    bobajobPB said:

No shit! Astonishing that they are only starting to have concerns about Trump's honesty, intelligence and level-headedness now.
  • Options

DavidL said:

justin124 said:

kle4 said:

Whatever you think of Corbyn we're still facing the challenge of how to make a modern market economy work. The Tories haven't exactly proved too successful on that front either.
    Disagree. Our living standards continue to improve despite the consequences of the odd Labour government (none as odd as the current shower of course) . The market economy continues to work for us all albeit to very different extents. The increase in inequality is an increasing concern and is potentially destabilising but as a method of wealth creation it has yet to be beaten.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

But if Jezza had been on the Titanic he could have walked all those passengers over the water to safety.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    The Labour manifesto is being trailed early to get tomorrows headlines, the problem is that I doubt it has in any way been costed or structured properly.
    There will be no contingencies for the costs of doing any new policies as of course nationalising the railways will be cost free (apart from setting up something to run the damn things of course, also sorting out the ROSCO's etc etc), it will be overly optimistic on tax take, it will assume very low borrowing costs....whilst endlessly borrowing funds etc etc. This is what happens when you only speak to people you agree with, a plan that has holes.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    AndyJS said:

41% of London voters want Jeremy Corbyn as commander-in-chief. Just think about that for a moment or two.

It's the alternative on offer.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

But if Jezza had been on the Titanic he could have walked all those passengers over the water to safety.
    Magnificent!

Have a good evening.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Roger said:

I used to confuse Pacific with specific. When I was about 5 years old.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

If Jezza had been on the Titanic the Maomentum crowd would have successfully wished the iceberg out of existence. How can you believe otherwise.
  • Options
    As Einstein didn't famously say...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Jezza's manifesto is just that doing it all over again expecting a different result..
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    FF43 said:

bobajobPB said:

No shit! Astonishing that they are only starting to have concerns about Trump's honesty, intelligence and level-headedness now.
    They were warned!
  • Options
    Have to admit free tuition fees, nationalised rail, nationalised mail & a decent home building program do have a bit of appeal...
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

If Jezza had been on the Titanic the Maomentum crowd would have successfully wished the iceberg out of existence. How can you believe otherwise.
    They would have got a tweet of jazz hands "appaulase" gif trending by retweeting it and that would have moved the iceberg out of the way.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    There is actually some decent stuff in the Labour manifesto. Renationalising energy and ploughing its surpluses into renewables can certainly be defended. It makes more sense than May's halfway house price cap in many respects. Renationalising rail is wise - franchising doesn't work, indeed many of the best railways in the UK are those in the public sector. There's no way to defend the existing system where - outside London - trains can only be nationalised to foreign governments but not our own.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,906
    Who'd have guessed Donald Trump would turn into Kim Jong-il? They say power corrups but not that it turns you barking mad. I think Stanley Kubrick showed great prescience when he made Dr Strangelove.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

chestnut said:

timmo said:

chestnut said:

timmo said:

chestnut said:

Could bring wavering labour heartlands back on board - labour back over 30% ?
    His vision, combined with May's, almost renders all the others as irrelevant.

There are only two serious choices in the election.

The SNP may argue they are a third, but Corbyn can hardly be accused of being a 'RedTory' - he's miles to the left of the SNP.
  • Options
    But I don't think we have the money to do that lot with Brexit and all :o
This discussion has been closed.