Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What ‘good’ will look like for the parties in this year’s May

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,128
    Alistair said:

Arguably Clinton campaign failed because it was data-driven, relying far too much on polling and appealing to different micro groups. iirc Bill was arguing that they needed a better core message and needed to get out into the rust belt. He was overruled by the data kids.

The Data said they had problems in the mid west rust belt yet they decided not to campaign there due to not wanting to appear weak. Not even the tiniest effort was expended there.

They just done fucked up. They had all the info they needed, they had the resources, they saw the iceberg miles in advance and chose not to do anything about it.

Bill didn't say they needed a better core message, he said they needed a message on target the Midwest, but the campaign staff thought they were playing 12Dimensional chess and just let Trump have a free reign there.
    They gave the impression that they actively disliked blue collar White voters in the mid West, and that they would have been tainting themselves by campaigning for their votes.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,602
    edited April 2017
    JPJ2 said:

You have to laugh at the strategic political ineptitude of May and her pretend-affable Scottish branch leader Ruth D.

May kicked it off by claiming that a vote for the Tories in the local elections would be a vote against a second Indyref. Now all the Tory candidates emphasise this and say much less about local issues.

Even with the usual compliant MSM, how convincing is it going to be when the SNP become the largest party in Glasgow and have the largest percentage of votes in Scotland overall?

Sure the Tories will squeak about their near inevitable gains mostly due to pro Union former Labour voters switching to them, but they will be well beaten into second place in the popular vote by the pro-referendum SNP.

Glasgow voted Yes in the referendum anyway and all its MPs and most of its MSPs are SNP so that ship sailed long ago and unless the SNP get 51% even coming first comfortably is no sign of a Yes win in any indyref2
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,378
    Sean_F said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

The Tories used to talk about broken Britain and Britain being a Third World country when they were in opposition. It's what happens.

Being critical of government policy and action is not the same as talking Britain down. Boris Johnson's absolute incapacity to represent the UK competently and effectively abroad is more damaging to this country's interests than anything an irrelevance from the Labour party can say. Likewise, when cabinet ministers like Liam Fox's assert that we share values with a murderous thug like the President of the Philippines that does more harm to perceptions of us abroad than anything written by a left-wing journalist in a UK newspaper.

Having just been to the Philippines and then to Manila on business it quite clear that Duterte has the support of the people. Very much like Modi in India. We may find some of their policies distasteful but from speaking to people (in both countries) they are behind both their leaders and the policies.

I want this country to trade more with the Philippines (and Brexit was a fairly big subject on my second visit) and a few cheap (free) words about Duterte to smooth the process helps our profile in the country. You didn't have any such problems when Osborne was wining and dining the Chinese a couple of years ago or when they got the full state visit treatment with Dave. China is a full on police state with no free elections, yet when we befriend a democratic nation suddenly it's terrible.

Additionally most people out of the country don't give a shit what Liam Fox says or does, his comments are purely for the domestic audience of the country he is visiting. And I think we do have a lot to admire about Duterte, he was given the worst hand in all of SE Asia, now the Philippine economy is booming, there is hope for the millions of poor where under previous leaders there was absolutely fuck all.

I am sure that Duterte does have the support of people in the Philippines. That does not mean we have to say we share his values. That we feel we have to in order to "smooth the process" shows exactly what kind of situation we find ourselves in. And, yes, that is noticed across the world.
    Max worships mammon, he would sell his granny for more, it is the Tory way.
    It's not about the money. We do it because we enjoy being evil.
    To the core Sean
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,103
    HYUFD said:

Roger said:

OT.

£84 billion a year is generated by the creative industries. As the residents of Hartlipool and other Brexiteers spend all day watching Jeremy Kyle this wont be of concern to them but for those of us responsible for generating this huge contribution to the economy Brexit is seen as a catastrophy. Seriously.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/creative-industries-generate-84-billion-a-year-for-the-uk-economy-almost-10m-an-hour-a7124551.html

The low value of the £ is actually seeing more films being filmed in the UK at the moment
    The fact that Trump will have blown us all up before the worst effects of Brexit are felt would be a more apposite comment
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,264
    Roger said:

OT.

£84 billion a year is generated by the creative industries. As the residents of Hartlipool and other Brexiteers spend all day watching Jeremy Kyle this wont be of concern to them but for those of us responsible for generating this huge contribution to the economy Brexit is seen as a catastrophy. Seriously.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/creative-industries-generate-84-billion-a-year-for-the-uk-economy-almost-10m-an-hour-a7124551.html

The solution is obvious.

We should get some cheaper, harder-working immigrants to do the creating instead of overpaid, over-rated has-beens.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

JPJ2 said:

You have to laugh at the strategic political ineptitude of May and her pretend-affable Scottish branch leader Ruth D.

May kicked it off by claiming that a vote for the Tories in the local elections would be a vote against a second Indyref. Now all the Tory candidates emphasise this and say much less about local issues.

Even with the usual compliant MSM, how convincing is it going to be when the SNP become the largest party in Glasgow and have the largest percentage of votes in Scotland overall?

Sure the Tories will squeak about their near inevitable gains mostly due to pro Union former Labour voters switching to them, but they will be well beaten into second place in the popular vote by the pro-referendum SNP.

Glasgow voted Yes in the referendum anyway and all its MPs and most of its MSPs are SNP so that ship sailed long ago and unless the SNP get 51% even coming first comfortably is no sign of a Yes win in any indyref2
    Council elections campaign literature is hilarious. The Con flyers are plastered by mentions of independece, SNP and Green flyers mention pot holes.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711

HYUFD said:

Fillon v Le Pen in R2 is getting very tight. That looks to be her only realistic shot:
    https://twitter.com/electograph/status/853173921377648640

Not much difference between Macron's victory margin against Le Pen or Melenchon there but he has a bigger lead against Fillon than he does against either populist

Fillon has a strong core support, but beyond that looks like he will really struggle to pick up votes. That's why Le Pen probably has her best shot up against him.

Virtually the only chance either of them have is if they are up against each other.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,024
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

OT.

The low value of the £ is actually seeing more films being filmed in the UK at the moment
    The fact that Trump will have blown us all up before the worst effects of Brexit are felt would be a more apposite comment
    I am no Trump fan, but to be briefly fair to him, no US president would be able to tolerate NK having intercontinental missiles.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,564
    ydoethur said:

So in essence even your 'at the very least' option would have been a problem?

Bottom line is Scotland & Scottish Labour (when it actualy had some significance) wanted devolution, it was clearly stated in the Labour manifesto, and the UK (a qualifier very important to some folk) voted for it in a landslide. It's to Tony Blair's credit that despite his doubts he kept his promise on this issue, unlike certain other parties.

You misunderstand. I am fully in favour of devolution. I am firmly against it being introduced on the back of a fag packet manner adopted by Blair (or for that matter in the 'vow' in 2014) without thinking through the consequences and allowing for them.

In this case, devolution to Scotland was clearly needed, but it had to be accompanied by devolution on the same terms elsewhere plus a significant reduction of power at Westminster. Blair did the first not because of conviction but for partisan advantage, made a half-hearted commitment to the second that came to nothing in England outside London, and actually arrogated more power to himself rather than do the third thing.

The result is that we are left with the more than faintly absurd situation where there are about six different systems of government running in one small country and everyone is et in tension as a result. Moreover as neither Scotland or Northern Ireland are set to leave the U.K. (notwithstanding the fantasies of certain obsessives) but are also understandably unwilling to give up what they have gained, this situation appears irresolvable.

If you don't think that's a problem, I think you need to take the blinkers off. Why do you think there is almost as much support for Scottish independence in England as there is in Scotland? Hint: it's not out of magnanimity towards the Scots or admiration of their increasingly shrill demands for more power when they already have far more freedom from Westminster than any other part of the UK.
    What's your high minded, principled, far sighted plan for a lasting constitutional settlement, and who do you think is going to enact it?

I'm sure you'll have some recent polling evidence to support that feeling in your water that 'there is almost as much support for Scottish independence in England as there is in Scotland?'
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,081
    edited April 2017
    A big question is, are the polls actually shifting since the 2nd debate ?

https://twitter.com/Pulpstar/status/853188592692318208

I've randomised the scores 4 ways - with the "true" sequence in the middle.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,819
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

JPJ2 said:

Council elections campaign literature is hilarious. The Con flyers are plastered by mentions of independece, SNP and Green flyers mention pot holes.
    In my very limited experience it seems like parties without much local support (in terms of an entire council area) tend to focus on national messages (eg Jeremy is terrible, the Tory government is cutting) as they have so little hope of doing anything locally anyway.
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    HYFUD

My point was not about who will win the next Indyref but rather about whether there is support for another referendum.

The principal party supporting a referendum is going to seriously outpoll the principal party opposed to one (that latter party being daft enough to say use the local elections to show you oppose a referendum and then suffering a serious defeat).

As I said, a major strategic error by May & the Tories.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,235

MaxPB said:

Yep - I am sure that is all correct. But I bet he likes hearing from British cabinet ministers that the UK shares his values.

Democracy, family, achievement, opening up the economy for the poor. We share more values with Duterte than we do with Xi, yet you're extremely keen to hold out the hand to China.

The idea that the Chinese economy has not opened up to the poor over the last 30 years is absurd, as is the notion that a country that does not have legal due process is a democracy. I have no problem in trading with either China or the Philippines.

The Philippines has quite alot of democracy - the opposition can get elected without being disinvited to the Presidential Palace by the military, for example. The legal system is shaky, but isn't an arm of state enforcement the way the Chinese system is.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

JackW said:

Jonathan said:

dr_spyn said:

Good for Labour would be unprecedented defeats followed by the resignation of Jeremy Corbyn.

Good for other parties would be unprecedented Labour defeats followed by continuation of Jeremy Corbyn's leadership.

Only the former is good for the Country .
    The country is still paying for the tragedy of having allowed Gordon Brown into Downing Street. While having a strong opposition is important for the Country, as long as Bed Blocker stays in charge he's preventing a re-run of that for now at least.
    The Brown era was a golden era of calm, stability and competence compared to today
    I venture to suggest you may run into some robust discourse on that statement.
    No doubt, but true nonetheless. We gone from driving the worlds response to the financial crisis to near pariah status, where about the only impact we have is to imply war on Spain. Hell, even this lots budgets unravel more quickly than they used to.
    Hahaha.

Until and unless Labour stop talking Britain down they will never be trusted with power again.
    I am blown away by your lots diplomatic successes and legislative competence.
    Things are a hell of a lot better now than when Gordon Brown ceased to be PM.
    The total incompetence of Corbyn's Labour does make May's government lokk good, but the reality is that there are problems brewing all across the board, and not just relating to Brexit.
    There always are problems. That's the nature of things.
    The nature of Brexit is that there is no capacity to address any of them. This is a single-issue government.
    LOL - if only we were going to remain in the EU all would be rosy

Guffaw
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

OT.

I am no Trump fan, but to be briefly fair to him, no US president would be able to tolerate NK having intercontinental missiles.
    But they can't reach the French riviera, the nicer Paris bistros or Glyndebourne, so what's the problem ;)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,294

MaxPB said:

Having just been to the Philippines and then to Manila on business it quite clear that Duterte has the support of the people. Very much like Modi in India. We may find some of their policies distasteful but from speaking to people (in both countries) they are behind both their leaders and the policies.

I want this country to trade more with the Philippines (and Brexit was a fairly big subject on my second visit) and a few cheap (free) words about Duterte to smooth the process helps our profile in the country. You didn't have any such problems when Osborne was wining and dining the Chinese a couple of years ago or when they got the full state visit treatment with Dave. China is a full on police state with no free elections, yet when we befriend a democratic nation suddenly it's terrible.

Additionally most people out of the country don't give a shit what Liam Fox says or does, his comments are purely for the domestic audience of the country he is visiting. And I think we do have a lot to admire about Duterte, he was given the worst hand in all of SE Asia, now the Philippine economy is booming, there is hope for the millions of poor where under previous leaders there was absolutely fuck all.

It's easy to sit in a comfortable, safe, low crime, low corruption, western country and feel smug about your values, experience has shown the people here that they dont get you very far. Duterte isnt everyone's cup of tea in the west, but I doubt he could care less, he has the support of over 80% of his population according to recent polls, and his economy is booming.
    Most people I know from the Philippines are supportive of Duterte, if not all his methods. It's difficult to deal with serious organised crime in a moderate way though, and western countries have shown the futility of trying to deal with drugs moderately. Countries should either go down the Portugal route or the Thailand/Philippines/UAE route to drug control, some middle way just leaves a massive drugs market run by the criminals.

Oh, and welcome back :)
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yep - I am sure that is all correct. But I bet he likes hearing from British cabinet ministers that the UK shares his values.

Democracy, family, achievement, opening up the economy for the poor. We share more values with Duterte than we do with Xi, yet you're extremely keen to hold out the hand to China.

The idea that the Chinese economy has not opened up to the poor over the last 30 years is absurd, as is the notion that a country that does not have legal due process is a democracy. I have no problem in trading with either China or the Philippines.

The Philippines has quite alot of democracy - the opposition can get elected without being disinvited to the Presidential Palace by the military, for example. The legal system is shaky, but isn't an arm of state enforcement the way the Chinese system is.
    Argueably one of the problems in the Philippines could be said to be too much democracy, EVERYONE is elected all the way down to the councils in the equivalent of council wards, all the chiefs of government offices even down to local levels and so forth. The problem then becomes all those people want personal power to go with their democratic legitimacy, and with power comes the temptation to profit from it.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

OT.

But they can't reach the French riviera, the nicer Paris bistros or Glyndebourne, so what's the problem ;)

NK is putting them in submarines, so maybe they can...

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,070
    Mr. G, you think Le Pen would lose to Melenchon in the second round?
  • Options
    JPJ2 said:

I'm beginning to wonder that if the idea of Indy ref II is SO unpopular with the average Scottish voter, perhaps the SCons going on and on and on and on and on and on and on about one is now counter productive. It'd be bad enough having one of their freshly minted, deUKIPified Ultras chapping your door at the best of times, but having them boring on about the answer to potholes is NO 2ND REFERENDUM! would be beyond the pale.
  • Options

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

OT.

On a point of geography, London is closer to North Korea than Los Angeles.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

It's easy to sit in a comfortable, safe, low crime, low corruption, western country and feel smug about your values, experience has shown the people here that they dont get you very far. Duterte isnt everyone's cup of tea in the west, but I doubt he could care less, he has the support of over 80% of his population according to recent polls, and his economy is booming.
    Most people I know from the Philippines are supportive of Duterte, if not all his methods. It's difficult to deal with serious organised crime in a moderate way though, and western countries have shown the futility of trying to deal with drugs moderately. Countries should either go down the Portugal route or the Thailand/Philippines/UAE route to drug control, some middle way just leaves a massive drugs market run by the criminals.

The UAE has a lot of Filipinos, but they cannot have permenant residence so cannot afford to be too anti-government, as they will have to return.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    stodge said:

Let me stop you there.

I have never been an activist for any party and at the last general election I voted Lib Dem.

I therefore didn't bother to read the rest of your comment.

In which case, apologies for having seemingly offended you.

If you'll forgive me, however, I'm genuinely curious. The tenor of your posts doesn't suggest someone who is well disposed toward the LDs now and suggests someone who finds the Conservatives under May much more to their liking.

I'd be interested in your political "journey" since 2015 and whether you would support the LDs now. I suspect not but as someone who voted LEAVE last June, I'm happy to remain in the LD camp for now and there's certainly nothing in the offerings of May which would make me want to support the Conservatives.

Sure.

In 2015, without a particular reason to vote for or against a contender in the constituency, I felt that the Lib Dems deserved reward for doing the right thing in going into coalition more than they deserved punishment for the half the time in government they spent acting as if they were in opposition.

Sadly, since the election they have a leader who seems to believe the opposite. He also wants to overturn the referendum result thus boosting UKIP - something the country can't afford.

I find the Tories under May far preferable to Labour under Corbyn - the latter being so bad that I even paid to vote against him.

That's the short version.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,039

ydoethur said:

So in essence even your 'at the very least' option would have been a problem?

Bottom line is Scotland & Scottish Labour (when it actualy had some significance) wanted devolution, it was clearly stated in the Labour manifesto, and the UK (a qualifier very important to some folk) voted for it in a landslide. It's to Tony Blair's credit that despite his doubts he kept his promise on this issue, unlike certain other parties.

You misunderstand. I am fully in favour of devolution. I am firmly against it being introduced on the back of a fag packet manner adopted by Blair (or for that matter in the 'vow' in 2014) without thinking through the consequences and allowing for them.

In this case, devolution to Scotland was clearly needed, but it had to be accompanied by devolution on the same terms elsewhere plus a significant reduction of power at Westminster. Blair did the first not because of conviction but for partisan advantage, made a half-hearted commitment to the second that came to nothing in England outside London, and actually arrogated more power to himself rather than do the third thing.

The result is that we are left with the more than faintly absurd situation where there are about six different systems of government running in one small country and everyone is et in tension as a result. Moreover as neither Scotland or Northern Ireland are set to leave the U.K. (notwithstanding the fantasies of certain obsessives) but are also understandably unwilling to give up what they have gained, this situation appears irresolvable.

If you don't think that's a problem, I think you need to take the blinkers off. Why do you think there is almost as much support for Scottish independence in England as there is in Scotland? Hint: it's not out of magnanimity towards the Scots or admiration of their increasingly shrill demands for more power when they already have far more freedom from Westminster than any other part of the UK.
    What's your high minded, principled, far sighted plan for a lasting constitutional settlement, and who do you think is going to enact it?

I'm sure you'll have some recent polling evidence to support that feeling in your water that 'there is almost as much support for Scottish independence in England as there is in Scotland?'
    My ideal would have been a fully worked out constitutional proposal put to a nationwide referendum in 1999 rather than just trying to appease Labour's client groups. Alas, that ship has sailed. As a result, as I said in my post, the situation is insoluble. Your abusive behaviour merely confirms the idea that you are not so much pro-Scottish as anti-English (although I am not of course English, but I am assuming you probably haven't worked that out).
  • Options

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

OT.

Good luck to Pyongyang in getting their submarine half a mile into international waters without a terrible 'accident' befalling it.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,235
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

In Yelstin's time in Russia, the following joke was told -

Under Stalin, the old people remember there was food, and there was order

What do the old people want now? Lots of food. Lots of order.

Some say we are 48 hours of food deliveries away from anarchy. It is worth considering how far away a Freikorps is.
  • Options

Roger said:

OT.

The solution is obvious.

We should get some cheaper, harder-working immigrants to do the creating instead of overpaid, over-rated has-beens.
    Unfortunately this is one of the few industries where hard worlk alone doesn't cut it. Under the article is a letter from a kindred spirit who seems to sum up the mentality of Brexiteers....

"Is this part of the Liberal Elite group who all lined up to tell us to Remain. David Beckham even too 2 minutes out of his day in LA to tell us to remain in the EU. All those Luvvies who all take part in Tax Avoidance schemes in this country also lined up to tell us what is good for us. Hey, go to LA and live there."
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Roger said:

Roger said:

OT.

The solution is obvious.

Unfortunately this is one of the few industries where hard worlk alone doesn't cut it. Under the article is a letter from a kindred spirit who seems to sum up the mentality of Brexiteers....

"Is this part of the Liberal Elite group who all lined up to tell us to Remain. David Beckham even too 2 minutes out of his day in LA to tell us to remain in the EU. All those Luvvies who all take part in Tax Avoidance schemes in this country also lined up to tell us what is good for us. Hey, go to LA and live there."
    So which part do you disagree with?

That too many luvvies take part in tax avoidance schemes?
    That it's a bit rich for those living overseas to tell us how to vote?
    Or that luvvies lined up behind Remain?
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    Theuniondivvie.

Well as you and I know (in spite of the usual unionist MSM mince), it is actually a close run issue as to whether or not people want a second indyref vote. The idea that a second vote is wildly unpopular has always been nonsense.

As the world's only living psephologist (Curtis), has pointed out, those who would vote Yes favour a referendum and those who would vote No do not. In most polls this implies a result closer than last time, which is the main reason unionists are terrified of indyref2 as they know they might well lose.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Oh dear! Another one who doesn't remember the lessons of Pinochet
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    ydoethur said:

My ideal would have been a fully worked out constitutional proposal put to a nationwide referendum in 1999 rather than just trying to appease Labour's client groups. Alas, that ship has sailed. As a result, as I said in my post, the situation is insoluble. Your abusive behaviour merely confirms the idea that you are not so much pro-Scottish as anti-English (although I am not of course English, but I am assuming you probably haven't worked that out).

Abusive behaviour?!

Please quote which of my words you think are 'abusive', otherwise giruy you pompous twat.*

*For your enlightenment, I'm happy to accept that's abusive (though accurate).
  • Options

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

I am sure that Duterte does have the support of people in the Philippines. That does not mean we have to say we share his values. That we feel we have to in order to "smooth the process" shows exactly what kind of situation we find ourselves in. And, yes, that is noticed across the world.

The UAE has a lot of Filipinos, but they cannot have permenant residence so cannot afford to be too anti-government, as they will have to return.
    That is true about residency, the Gulf states are full of foreign workers but none of us will ever be citizens.

One of the things being clamped down on by Duterte, which is a real problem in these parts, is loan sharks and employment agents in the Philippines taking advantage of people wanting to move abroad for work, where large amounts of money are lent and families threatened if usurious repayments are not met. Many people here are now happy that they are earning money for their family back home and not for some criminal.

Your earlier point about Filipino people in general is spot on by the way - lovely people, Christian, English-speaking, hard working and happy to care for others.
  • Options
    F1: odd time for me, but contemplating some Ricciardo bets. If the pace shown in P2 was genuine... he could be a contender. Surprised by the gap to Verstappen, and don't know if that's just a different testing programme or due to there being limited upgrades.
  • Options

F1: odd time for me, but contemplating some Ricciardo bets. If the pace shown in P2 was genuine... he could be a contender. Surprised by the gap to Verstappen, and don't know if that's just a different testing programme or due to there being limited upgrades.

Ricciardo himself said yesterday not to read too much into his times - it's possible that his time was unrepresentative of what others were going due to very low fuel load. Looks incredibly close between Mercedes and Ferrari in front of them though, Kimi might be worth a look in P3 (which starts in 75 minutes).
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

OT.

The solution is obvious.

That through ignorance (and prejudice) Brexiteers have cut off their nose to spite their face.
  • Options

Nonsense. The Philippines politics is vocal and active on all sides, its played as a contact sport here, but supporters of all sides are visible and noisy. Plenty of citizens are visibly anti-goverment just as different people were under previous administrations, and the newspapers are full of criticism and comment. It's true they take a very dim view of non-citizens being involved in the political process, so anyone with sense doesnt comment of personalities or policies.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, ah, right.

That's a shame.

I reserve the right to be annoyed with you if he wins the race :p
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Roger said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Oh dear! Another one who doesn't remember the lessons of Pinochet
    Go on, enlighten me! Pinochet was a facist dictator who came to power in a coup, how is he the same as an elected leader trying to get the crime out of his country?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,024
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

OT.

Good luck to Pyongyang in getting their submarine half a mile into international waters without a terrible 'accident' befalling it.
    Realistically, I can't see how military action can be avoided at some point. Very bleak situation.
  • Options
    Roger said:

That through ignorance (and prejudice) Brexiteers have cut off their nose to spite their face.

This all sounds rather like the doom and gloom we heard before the referendum about how badly the city was going to do after an out-vote. Yes, I know lots of people thought that an out-vote means after Article 50, but when the world failed to cave in then either they are trying to convince us that after the vote, really meant after we actually leave, or possibly, a decade after we actually leave. I assume when the creative industry is making more money in 2020 than it is now you will be making similar rationalisations to your views ?

• Options
    edited April 2017

Mr. G, you think Le Pen would lose to Melenchon in the second round?

I would say that is pretty likely Mr D. Current head to heads show him beating her by around 20%. Go to bottom of this page to see all head to head polling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_French_presidential_election,_2017

In fact it is worth noting, as the 4 candidates are so tightly grouped, who wins iin the six possible scenararios based on head to head polling.

Macron wins 3 times
    Melenchon wins 2 times
    Fillon wins 1 time
    Le Pen wins precisely no times!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

OT.

The solution is obvious.

Lets face it Roger you're about to become as obsolete as the British motorcycle industry.

Globalisation and automation are inexorable and all those 'creative' middle class types in the West will soon be creating nothing but their own sorrow and anger

It'll be Jeremy Kyle for you soon.

Still the really talented British creatives will become even richer. But that means SeanT not the hipsters of Hoxton.

If you want a picture of the future Roger, imagine SeanT stamping on your face - for ever.
  • Options
    BudG said:

Macron wins 3 times
    Melenchon wins 2 times
    Fillon wins 1 time

Ofcourse French polling might be on par with UK, or Austrian polling in which case anything could happen. There could easily be a chunk of shy fascists, there is almost certainly a chunk of young hard-left non-voters. Macron is Hollande's spirital successor and the French appear to be starting to rumble this as well.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    A good analysis by David H on the prospects for May 4th . Ignore the NEV and look at the actual % vote shares in 2009 and 2013 and this year . The calculation of NEV in this county council year is the hardest to do as the elections are in the most unrepresentative parts of the country .
    In 2013 UKIPs actual vote share was 20.2% ( NEV 22% ) . I expect actual vote share this year to be below 10% perhaps even as low as 8%
    Re Cornwall which the Lib Dems are trying to get overall control of - a difficult task in view of the large number of Independents - it appears that no less than 7 of the retiring Conservative councillors are defending their seats as Independents and all are opposed by official Conservative candidates . I have not been able to find out the reason for this strange kami kaze behaviour .
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,068

Roger said:

Roger said:

OT.

The solution is obvious.

Lets face it Roger you're about to become as obsolete as the British motorcycle industry.

Globalisation and automation are inexorable and all those 'creative' middle class types in the West will soon be creating nothing but their own sorrow and anger

Still the really talented British creatives will become even richer. But that means SeanT not the hipsters of Hoxton.

If you want a picture of the future Roger, imagine SeanT stamping on your face - for ever.

Even SeanT needs awful, disgusting unpatriotic publicists, publishers and marketers to promote his work; as well as vile, metropolitan editors to get it into shape. Then there are the disgusting, snivelling agents to do the deals and maybe, if you can bear it, repulsive, Britain-hating producers, directors, scriptwriters etc to turn it into TV series and films.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

OT.

Realistically, I can't see how military action can be avoided at some point. Very bleak situation.
    Not looking good, is it? I think the country with the key to this is China, they have Kim's ear more than anyone else and are probably the only nation that can talk him down. The Chinese also don't want a war on their doorstep or a 'Western' nation sharing a border.

That said, South Korea and Japan have made it quite clear that if NK want to have a war they'll get one - and they have US backing. Kim looks as if he's poking the bear with shorter and shorter sticks.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

OT.

Not looking good, is it? I think the country with the key to this is China, they have Kim's ear more than anyone else and are probably the only nation that can talk him down. The Chinese also don't want a war on their doorstep or a 'Western' nation sharing a border.

That said, South Korea and Japan have made it quite clear that if NK want to have a war they'll get one - and they have US backing. Kim looks as if he's poking the bear with shorter and shorter sticks.

I guess that Kim relies on a lot of people in order to stay in power. Hopefully, the Chinese will know all of them too. The one inarguable fact in all of this is that should it come to serious conflict the North Koreans will not win.

• Options
    edited April 2017

Roger said:

Roger said:

OT.

The solution is obvious.

Slightly odd analogy as the British motorcycle industry is in reasonably good health, that health mostly invested in Triumph admittedly.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, not so sure about that.

The fallout (ahem) of any war would be enormous. Seoul will probably see quite the artillery barrage. Doing nothing is a false sort of safe option, but doing something will have serious and immediate negative consequences.

The only 'good' solution appears to be Kim Jong-un either backing down or being deposed and replaced by someone rather calmer. However, the nuclear weapons are the key problem, yet they're also a critical part of North Korean policy.

In a war, North Korea would lose, but it could still transform the South Korean capital into a landscape reminiscent of Aleppo or a German city in 1945.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

OT.

The solution is obvious.

You're not alone, I disagree with that too.
  • Options
    Mr. Observer, best of luck.

Sure you'll be fine in China.
  • Options

A good analysis by David H on the prospects for May 4th . Ignore the NEV and look at the actual % vote shares in 2009 and 2013 and this year . The calculation of NEV in this county council year is the hardest to do as the elections are in the most unrepresentative parts of the country .
    In 2013 UKIPs actual vote share was 20.2% ( NEV 22% ) . I expect actual vote share this year to be below 10% perhaps even as low as 8%
    Re Cornwall which the Lib Dems are trying to get overall control of - a difficult task in view of the large number of Independents - it appears that no less than 7 of the retiring Conservative councillors are defending their seats as Independents and all are opposed by official Conservative candidates . I have not been able to find out the reason for this strange kami kaze behaviour .

Interesting re: Cornwall, and FWIW I agree regarding the NEV concept - it's an honest attempt to get sensible statistical data, but unfortunately the methodology is inherently flawed with County Council elections.

All that I can understand. What I cannot understand is the Lib Dems getting all tumescent about Manchester Gorton.....
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    SLAB still leading with vote Labour in the council elections to send a clear message to the SNP that they need to stop focusing on calling for IndyRef2 !! - Both SLAB and SCON are betting big that their overall support is going to be up on 4th May to send the SNP a message !!

https://twitter.com/scottishlabour/status/853201347444920321
  • Options

Roger said:

The solution is obvious.

Even SeanT needs awful, disgusting unpatriotic publicists, publishers and marketers to promote his work; as well as vile, metropolitan editors to get it into shape. Then there are the disgusting, snivelling agents to do the deals and maybe, if you can bear it, repulsive, Britain-hating producers, directors, scriptwriters etc to turn it into TV series and films.
    I seem to have touched a sore spot.

You know I'm right.

Globalisation and automation are going to cut a swathe through middle class employment just as they did with much of the working class in previous generations.

SeanT has already mentioned this with his comments on travel writers and sub-editors.

Now the genuinely talented - SeanT for example - will still prosper, perhaps to an even greater extent.

But all those middle class professions will struggle because there will be a computer or someone in the third world able to do their work cheaper and faster than they can do.

And what will all those nice middle class types have left ?

Debts, insecure work, falling earnings, anger, housing problems and a longing for 'how things used to be'.
  • Options

BudG said:

Macron wins 3 times
    Melenchon wins 2 times
    Fillon wins 1 time

Ofcourse French polling might be on par with UK, or Austrian polling in which case anything could happen. There could easily be a chunk of shy fascists, there is almost certainly a chunk of young hard-left non-voters. Macron is Hollande's spirital successor and the French appear to be starting to rumble this as well.
    The one the pollsters REALLY got wrong was Israel.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Roger said:

Roger said:

OT.

The solution is obvious.

Slightly odd analogy as the British motorcycle industry is in reasonably good health, that health mostly invested in Triumph admittedly.
    I remember reading that Triumph had its best year since the mid-eighties, in terms of bikes sold, in 2016. If memory serves it was something like 55,000 machines world wide. None too shabby, but still something of a niche market compared to the Japanese giants.
  • Options
    calum said:

SLAB still leading with vote Labour in the council elections to send a clear message to the SNP that they need to stop focusing on calling for IndyRef2 !! - Both SLAB and SCON are betting big that their overall support is going to be up on 4th May to send the SNP a message !!

£20 says CON will be up overall.

SLAB are a dead goose.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited April 2017
    BudG said:

HYUFD said:

Fillon v Le Pen in R2 is getting very tight. That looks to be her only realistic shot:

Not much difference between Macron's victory margin against Le Pen or Melenchon there but he has a bigger lead against Fillon than he does against either populist

Fillon has a strong core support, but beyond that looks like he will really struggle to pick up votes. That's why Le Pen probably has her best shot up against him.

Virtually the only chance either of them have is if they are up against each other.
    It does look like that, but Le Pen might be able to crush the fidgeting pro-Merkel centrist Macron in a debate, and against Mélenchon she could do well if she could somehow position herself as the candidate for the whole of the right, the anti-"communist" (business is good, strong borders because foreigners smell and want to blow you up, here's 100€ of free shares for you all, never mind that collectivist nonsense, kind of thing), although at the moment that's not her position at all (except for the foreigners bit), so she might not be able to make it.

Macron would lose to Mélenchon, whatever the polls are saying. The only one of the top four he'd probably beat is Fillon.

• Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

calum said:

SLAB are a dead goose.
    And £100 says SNP will be up overall.
  • Options
    Your hotel venue in Seoul is only 20 miles from North Korea :o Good luck and hope things settle down in the next couple of weeks!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

We have big events organised in Korea and China the week after next. Could be better timed, I suppose.

http://events.ipbc.com/events/ipbc-china/event-summary-c5fa8e33d50d4503aad47032d611a131.aspx

ttp://events.ipbc.com/events/ipbc-korea/event-summary-4744088b94044edc9aba2728b0b942ac.aspx

Good luck with that, on the brightside, a pending WWIII would normally be brisk for business.
  • Options
    OUT said:

calum said:

SLAB are a dead goose.
    I expect they will be due to the death of SLAB so no deal.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

BudG said:

HYUFD said:

It does look like that, but Le Pen might be able to crush the fidgeting pro-Merkel centrist Macron in a debate, and against Mélenchon she could do well if she could somehow position herself as the candidate for the whole of the right, the anti-"communist" (business is good, strong borders because foreigners smell, here's 100€ of free shares for you all, never mind that collectivist nonsense, kind of thing), although at the moment that's not her position at all, so she might not be able to make it.

Macron would lose to Mélenchon, whatever the polls are saying.

I agree that the most likely head to head poll to be overturned is Melenchon v Macron, simply because Melenchon has proved he can shift support his way in tv debates. In that scenario it would certainly be a lot closer than the polls predict and I think Melenchon could probably just edge it.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Labour is in the almost unprecedented position of being unable to go round talking down their prospects prior to the results!

UKIP will be lucky not to be wiped out. Relatively few of their Cllrs appear to be mounting credible defences in the first place.

Labour did a great expectations job last year, and seem to be doing so again. If they dont lose 300 and gorton, they'll shrug it off.
    But they probably will lose 300. They shouldn't lose Gorton. They might also lose some of the mayoralties they 'shouldn't'.
    Losing 300 council seats on its own won't be enough I think. The MPs are playing possum, too afraid to take on the membership or quit, and am I to believe the membership will snap awake from the corbyn dream because of lost council seats, when Copeland didn't shake them? It's the triple whammy indeed - labour need losses across the board, that cannot be explained away.

Which mayoralties would stun them if lost though? West Midlands the Tory is even mentioning the word Tory on sone leaflets apparently, labour can say it was more like losing to an Indy,a one off.
    In a worst-case scenario, Labour could lose:

Cambs + P'bro (nailed on)
    Tees Valley (unlikely, but 8% swing in local by-election this week doesn't auger well)
    W of Eng (3-way; might finish 3rd, never mind not win)
    W Mids (Con odds-on to win with bookies, though too much for my liking)
    N Tyneside (Has been Con more often than not)

Gtr Manchester and Doncaster ought to be safe, though on a dreadful night, both might be too close for comfort and only Liverpool City Region can truly be chalked up for Labour right now.
  • Options

Roger said:

The solution is obvious.

"Is there."

You know I'm right.

Globalisation and automation are going to cut a swathe through middle class employment just as they did with much of the working class in previous generations.

SeanT has already mentioned this with his comments on travel writers and sub-editors.

Now the genuinely talented - SeanT for example - will still prosper, perhaps to an even greater extent.

But all those middle class professions will struggle because there will be a computer or someone in the third world able to do their work cheaper and faster than they can do.

Debts, insecure work, falling earnings, anger, housing problems and a longing for 'how things used to be'.

No, you have not touched a sore point at all. I am merely observing that SeanT does not make money just by writing stuff. He needs a lot of other people to help him out - most of whom are disgusting, middle class, Britain-hating metropolitans. It may be that their jobs do become obsolete. But that will only happen once other disgusting, middle class, Britain-hating metropolitans have worked out how SeanT will carry on making money by writing books.

Of course, once we do reach a tipping point and most people cease to feel they have any kind of stake in the society in which they live, things will change in ways that are impossible to foresee.

• Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

OT.

The solution is obvious.

I remember reading that Triumph had its best year since the mid-eighties, in terms of bikes sold, in 2016. If memory serves it was something like 55,000 machines world wide. None too shabby, but still something of a niche market compared to the Japanese giants.
    Aye, there will never be a return to the glory days of first 60 years of the 20th century, but still not too shabby.

T.E.Lawrence's marque, Brough Superior, has been revived, though I think it looks hideous

https://tinyurl.com/lthqe6u
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Roger said:

OT.

I guess that Kim relies on a lot of people in order to stay in power. Hopefully, the Chinese will know all of them too. The one inarguable fact in all of this is that should it come to serious conflict the North Koreans will not win.

Yes, it all comes down to how much they can hurt others as they go down, which everyone has been keen to avoid for obvious reasons.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Your hotel venue in Seoul is only 20 miles from North Korea :o Good luck and hope things settle down in the next couple of weeks!

The good news is that we have already banked delegate and sponsor money. The bad news is that we may lose a lot of our Hong Kong staff in a nuclear war. It's swings and roundabouts, I guess ;-)

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,615
    edited April 2017

No, you have not touched a sore point at all. I am merely observing that SeanT does not make money just by writing stuff. He needs a lot of other people to help him out - most of whom are disgusting, middle class, Britain-hating metropolitans. It may be that their jobs do become obsolete. But that will only happen once other disgusting, middle class, Britain-hating metropolitans have worked out how SeanT will carry on making money by writing books.

Of course, once we do reach a tipping point and most people cease to feel they have any kind of stake in the society in which they live, things will change in ways that are impossible to foresee.

There's a deeper point another_richard is missing which is that it is automation and economic specialisation that facilitate and valorise apparently superfluous occupations in the first place. More of the former means more of the latter.
  • Options
    Must say, though I don't use it myself, I do get some real enjoyment reading political comments on twitter as a way to pass a few minutes. It's like opening a map to luxuriate in the charmingly ridiculous place names of this fair country, only with more sneering. This was one of my favourites, you can probably guess what they are arguing against.

Because the population is being systematically brainwashed by a corrupt media. Dealing with that is like dealing with Stockholm syndrome.

UK right wing kleptocratic media are legitimately comparable to mafia kidnappers.

• Options

Sandpit said:

The good news is that we have already banked delegate and sponsor money. The bad news is that we may lose a lot of our Hong Kong staff in a nuclear war. It's swings and roundabouts, I guess ;-)

Yes. And my Samsung shares may drop a bit, and new Hyundai be delayed.

Ain't the apocalypse a bitch?
  • Options

Roger said:

"Is there."

You know I'm right.

The middle class will always survive and prosper. Civilised societies will always need administrating.

But it won't always be composed of the same people.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

OT.

The solution is obvious.

Well I just used one of the stereotypes for once dominant British industry laid low by cheaper foreign competition and its own self-satisfaction.

Does Triumph now prosper as a niche, high-end manufacturer rather than for the mass market as in its hey day ?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited April 2017

calum said:

SLAB are a dead goose.
    Given Con got a worst ever first pref vote share of 13.27% reversing almost two decades of gains by the Conservatives it would be hard for them to do worse.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

OUT said:

calum said:

SLAB are a dead goose.
    What do you recon to SLibDem? up or down?
  • Options

Interesting. In Wiltshire 1 of the exiting Con cllrs is contesting as an Indy against an official Con candidate, at there's 2-3 former Con Cllrs who lost out to LDs in 2013 contesting those seats again as Indys, with official Con candidates as well, but 7 currently incumbent cllrs not being selected/jumping ship seems high, even in a county as large as Cornwall.
  • Options

calum said:

SLAB are a dead goose.
    As SCON & SLAB are linking their messages - I think we need to look at their overall 1st preference vote as the rump Unionist vote - 2012 they hit 44% (SLAB 31%/SCON 13%) - I think they'll be lucky to hit 35% between them - happy to take your £20 bet at them exceeding 35% this time around !!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    HA! Some good news. Jacob Rees-Mogg is to publish a history of the Victorian era telling the story of that fascinating time in our history through the study of twelve notable characters of the time, including, apparently, Peel, Brunel and "Fighting Bob" Napier. Should be an excellent read. I am saving up for my copy.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,853
    United did NOT take passenger's bags off his plane after he was dragged off - then sent his luggage to the WRONG address hundreds of miles from where he was hospitalized

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4413610/United-gave-doctor-s-luggage-runaround.html
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    I lived for a while in Quebec, and have followed the Quebecois independence referendums with some interest. The last one, of course, was much closer than the Sindy.

The Canadian Government has done something, which may well appeal to other Governments with secessionist or independence movements. It passed the Clarity Act.

The Clarity Act is a beautiful example of Orwellian double-speak.

The purpose of the Act is to make it unclear as to whether a majority of "50% plus one" is even a sufficient threshold for Quebec secession.

To secede, the people of Quebec have to express, by "a clear majority", that they no longer wish to be part of Canada.
  • Options

You know I'm right.

You seem to have an obsession with putting the words 'Britain-hating' into your sentences.

I assume you're trying to be ironic or to parody others but its not really working.

Or perhaps you're already picking up on the bitterness that globalisation and automation is bringing to those 'disgusting, middle-class, Britain-hating metropolitans'.

Still full marks for seeing the writing on the wall and leaving London for a higher quality of life among the proles.
  • Options

I lived for a while in Quebec, and have followed the Quebecois independence referendums with some interest. The last one, of course, was much closer than the Sindy.

The Canadian Government has done something, which may well appeal to other Governments with secessionist or independence movements. It passed the Clarity Act.

The purpose of the Act is to make it unclear as to whether a majority of "50% plus one" is even a sufficient threshold for Quebec secession.

To secede, the people of Quebec have to express, by "a clear majority", that they no longer wish to be part of Canada.

Certainly it seems to lack clarity.

Personally I think requiring more than a simple majority is not necessarily a bad thing with such major changes, be it Brexit or Sindy, but having established previously 50%+1 vote would be enough, its hard to justify changing that now, before you even get into tricky arguments of what would be a reasonable threshold, what about turnout and so on.
  • Options

United did NOT take passenger's bags off his plane after he was dragged off - then sent his luggage to the WRONG address hundreds of miles from where he was hospitalized

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4413610/United-gave-doctor-s-luggage-runaround.html

I'm sure United are hoping for WWIII to get them off the front pages. What a complete clusterf...

In a pilots' forum it's been suggested that United's kind offer to refund the fare of all the people on the flight where the man was dragged off came with a long legal document to sign - which no-one has.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

OT.

The solution is obvious.

Well I just used one of the stereotypes for once dominant British industry laid low by cheaper foreign competition and its own self-satisfaction.

Does Triumph now prosper as a niche, high-end manufacturer rather than for the mass market as in its hey day ?
    It pretty much does what the other big mass market companies do, ie produces sportbikes, tourers, cruisers, retros, though perhaps not in the same volumes as the big four. There also seem to be a thriving (or at least numerous) niche cottage industry, mostly reviving old badges.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Personally I think requiring more than a simple majority is not necessarily a bad thing with such major changes, be it Brexit or Sindy, but having established previously 50%+1 vote would be enough, its hard to justify changing that now, before you even get into tricky arguments of what would be a reasonable threshold, what about turnout and so on.
    Would a 43-42 split satisfy '50%+1'?

It's a stupid definition.
  • Options

You know I'm right.

The middle class will always survive and prosper. Civilised societies will always need administrating.

But it won't always be composed of the same people.
    There will always be middle class jobs but that doesn't mean they will have traditional middle class earnings or bring a traditional middle class lifestyle.

Increasing inequality and the hollowing out of the middle class is already happening.

See the USA or for example how home ownership has been falling in Britain for over a decade - not coincidentally most prominently in London.
  • Options

kle4 said:

What's your preference? 50% +1 vote is only really an issue surely if the result is literally down to a couple of votes, from an odd number.

Regardless, it's too late as far as we're concerned. Whatever rules were in place last time will be in place next time, what justification for changing any of it? If it was sufficient to grant independence had the vote gone the other way then, how can it be argued the rules aren't goo enough now?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,853
    Sandpit said:

I'm sure United are hoping for WWIII to get them off the front pages. What a complete clusterf...

In a pilots' forum it's been suggested that United's kind offer to refund the fare of all the people on the flight where the man was dragged off came with a long legal document to sign - which no-one has.
    Their PR people clearly all graduated from the Gerald Ratner school of Public Relations.
  • Options

You know I'm right.

You seem to have an obsession with putting the words 'Britain-hating' into your sentences.

I assume you're trying to be ironic or to parody others but its not really working.

Or perhaps you're already picking up on the bitterness that globalisation and automation is bringing to those 'disgusting, middle-class, Britain-hating metropolitans'.

Still full marks for seeing the writing on the wall and leaving London for a higher quality of life among the proles.
    Now properly formatted

{ Must remember to check my comments after posting }
  • Options

That will get them into further trouble, its against aviation law to fly with unaccompanied baggage unless is was specifically checked in as such. That is why the airlines go to such trouble to get hold of the last passenger for their flights even if it is long over due to depart, because of the hassle of searching through the luggage and offloading the bags belonging to the missing passenger.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,099
    There will definitely be a middle class in the future but how many people will be a part of it?
  • Options
    F1: third practice is underway.

Won't be of too much use but we might see the odd car burst into flames.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

What's your preference? 50% +1 vote is only really an issue surely if the result is literally down to a couple of votes, from an odd number.

Regardless, it's too late as far as we're concerned. Whatever rules were in place last time will be in place next time, what justification for changing any of it? If it was sufficient to grant independence had the vote gone the other way then, how can it be argued the rules aren't goo enough now?
    You state "Whatever rules were in place last time will be in place next time"

I doubt very much whether that will be true.

Last time, Cameron thought that the result would not be close.

Next time, everyone expects the result to be close. So, I expect there will be much more wrangling as to the conditions of the referendum, and what constitutes a "majority". That is exactly what has happened in Canada/Quebec.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Not to mention it's prone to the same problem as the Fixed Term Parliament Act, namely the wording of the subsequent act can bypass it.

"Not withstanding the Clarity Act 2017, a referendum will be held on (date) about (subject) and will accept a 50%+1 threshold"

Passing the act is nothing more than political showboating, the act enabling a subsequent referendum can set any threshold it likes.
  • Options

There will definitely be a middle class in the future but how many people will be a part of it?

Quite. The idea that there has to be a significant middle class in the future is bizzare, there wasnt for quite a lot of our past, and isnt in the majority of third world countries even now.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

OT.

The solution is obvious.

Triumph is doing really quite well. They are manufactured near me in Hinckley and have an excellent reputation, though not quite as sporty as Japanese machines but manufacture over a thousand per week, with about 25% sold in the USA and quite a few other export markets too, including new agents in India and Brazil.

It shows that manufacturing is quite viable in developed countries, if that wasn't obvious already from our EU neighbours.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

OUT said:

calum said:

SLAB are a dead goose.
    What do you recon to SLibDem? up or down?
    SLID will likely hit 6.7% they got in 2012 - but STV transfers should boost their seat count. The Greens will do well - resulting in a few SNP/Green councils.
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

OT.

The solution is obvious.

It pretty much does what the other big mass market companies do, ie produces sportbikes, tourers, cruisers, retros, though perhaps not in the same volumes as the big four. There also seem to be a thriving (or at least numerous) niche cottage industry, mostly reviving old badges.
    Thanks.

It's a much bigger operation than I had imagined:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Motorcycles_Ltd

I wonder why it doesn't get much publicity.
This discussion has been closed.