Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON hold Witney with a much reduced majority & the LDs coming

Comments

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016

OllyT said:

Of the two latest national opinion polls, both have Trump in the lead. Okay, they are both tracking polls but there's a golden rule on here about not cherry picking the polls we wish to see.
    Trump leads by 3% and 1% respectively:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/
    http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/white_house_watch_oct20
    http://www.investors.com/politics/trump-holds-on-to-1-point-lead-as-debate-sparks-fly/

What we can state is that there is some serious value to be had on Trump.

If anyone is tempted to bet on Trump based on this post I strongly advise that they do little research into American polling companies first - if you still want to bet on an outcome that only Rasmussen & LA Times predict then good luck to you.
    Serious value? I imagine that 5.8 might be close to the actual probability; i.e., the bookies win.
    I'd go 5-10% - ie >9/1

My last trade was to lay Trump @ 5.9

I'd definitely back him @ 20/1 and consider backing at 10/1.

You can effectively get odds on POTUS Trump ~9/1 on the state markets.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728

It has probably been said down stream but despite an absolutely massive effort and swamping Witney itself in the last week, LD's only knocked 2% out of the Labour vote. Even allowing for a strong local candidate that is disappointing and (cough) I did flag it up in the piece for PB a week or so ago.

Left wing voters have still not forgiven LD's for the Coalition I suspect. There were tweets from locals saying that the LD's are a centre right party and not an alternative to Labour

The irony is that on a policy by policy basis there was nowt but a gnat's testicle between the two candidates

With the slump in turnout at Witney what we do not know is where the LDs gained 23%? Did they just do a better GOTV and get a higher turnout from existing LD voters and some gains from Cons, Greens and Lab? The LDs certainly poured more resources in than the other parties.
    Just looking at the results above, the biggest percentage vote drop was Tories, followed by UKIP, Labour and green.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    MaxPB said:

I note that the ECB are talking about ramping up QE again, methinks they don't like weak Sterling very much.

More power to their elbows - i don't like it either! :)
  • Options
    The Tories have dodged the main banana skin - however unlikely - of actually losing the seat.

It is clear that the LDs are capable of providing some more.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,798
    Almost the safest Tory seat in England stayed Tory is the uninteresting headline result from Witney. Everything else is happening under the water. I don't think the result will change much in itself. The broader picture is that the UKIP vote is collapsing, which allows the Lib Dems to reestablish their Third Party position.
  • Options
    Too often a hard earned second place in a by election is dismissed as 'not good enough' or 'they should really be winning here' by journalists, so it's good to see an article praising a party for throwing everything at it and coming clear runners up.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,073

It has probably been said down stream but despite an absolutely massive effort and swamping Witney itself in the last week, LD's only knocked 2% out of the Labour vote. Even allowing for a strong local candidate that is disappointing and (cough) I did flag it up in the piece for PB a week or so ago.

Left wing voters have still not forgiven LD's for the Coalition I suspect. There were tweets from locals saying that the LD's are a centre right party and not an alternative to Labour

The irony is that on a policy by policy basis there was nowt but a gnat's testicle between the two candidates

With the slump in turnout at Witney what we do not know is where the LDs gained 23%? Did they just do a better GOTV and get a higher turnout from existing LD voters and some gains from Cons, Greens and Lab? The LDs certainly poured more resources in than the other parties.
    About 10x the resources!

But you know what? In the previous by-elections, they couldn't get their activists engaged. This time they did. That's a meaningful difference.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    JackW said:

Steven Shepard and Charlie Mahtesian of "Politico" look at the state of play in the battleground states. It's not comfortable reading for Trump :

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/trumps-incredible-shrinking-map-230135

I think we pretty much get the message that it's all over bar the shouting for The Donald (unless we see the greatest polling disaster to end all polling disasters unfold)

Shall we talk about something else instead? How about AV? Or our best Jam making recipe's? :smiley:
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,728

rcs1000 said:

Personal Spin - Disappointing night for Theresa May, the Tory share of the vote is back to the 1997/2001 general election levels, when the Tories got massacred and had around 165 MPs.

Are Dave's Blue Liberals going back to the Yellow Peril? Alarming, all those seats in the South West now at risk.

Perhaps Corbyn won't lead Labour to the mother of all shellackings in 2020.

All of this makes an early election unlikely, even before we consider the awkwardness of the FTPA.

I think the SW seats are safer than the likes of the SE and Gloucestershire type seats. SW London, Bath, Cheltenham, Oxford W, Lewes etc. That's where a resurgent LibDem party will target.
    2018 and London locals will be fascinating. Large parts are pro-Remain, Labour voters will have increasingly forgotten the coalition, and there's Heathrow expansion in the South West. I would expect the LibDems to make gains in Richmond, Kingston, Merton and Sutton. Twickenham, even with the local Conservative having first term incumbency, I think will be a LibDem gain. They might pick up one more.

I would be less optimistic about the LibDems prospects in the South West, ........

South East England outside London will be interesting. I would forecast a LibDem gain in Cambridge, largely because I think the Labour Party will be comfortably sub 30% and the LibDems will be on 10-14%. That's comfortably a five point swing in the Lab-LibDem gap, but only results in a single gain. Oxford West (or whatever the new seat is called) is also a possible.

I don't see a resurgence in Eastleigh, Eastbourne, Lewes, Bath, etc. I think there may be some narrowed majorities, and some increased council presence, but I think they will likely all stay Conservative in 2020.

In Scotland, the boundary reviews look to be *extremely* favourable for the LibDems (almost suspiciously so). They can reasonably expect to pick up both the Western Edinburgh seat and the Fife one.

So where does that leave them?
    Scotland 3
    Wales 1
    SW London 2-3
    University Seats 1-2
    Cumbria 1

9-10 + maybe they hold onto the successor seats in Southport, Sheffield, and Leeds.

I hold by my forecast of 10-14 seats in 2020.
    It would be difficult for the LibDems to improve on their councillors in my neighbouring constituency of Eastleigh where they have 37 to the Tories 6, but I guess it's possible.
    In Eastleigh the demise of UKIP could open up a few gains for the Conservatives.
    Even adding UKIP and Conservative together, in most cases the LibDem vote is higher.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastleigh_Borough_Council_election,_2016
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

With the invective in the POTUS race at historically unseen levels and Trump's concession debacle reverberating, it's worthy to pause to look at the gracious note left by Goerge Bush on the desk of the Oval Office the morning of Bill Clinton's inauguration :

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/read-this-letter-george-h-w-bush-sent-to-bill-clinton-after-losing-1992-election/

Bush Snr was possibly the last decent President the US has seen.

The nasty Clinton "machine" ate him up and spat him out. I imagine he was pleased to be out of it by the end of the election.
    The nastiness currently in the American system largely followed Newt Gingrich's "contract with America" followed by the rise of the tea party, which made an art of obstructionism. There is now an element in GOP congress that sees any compromise with the White House as almost treasonable -- and for that matter, any compromise with the mainstream Republican Party.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,012
    Mr. 43, indeed.

Be interesting to see if UKIP utterly collapses or can be brought back from the brink.

Reminds me of the latter day Western Roman Empire, when the likes of Honorius knifed Stilicho (his most able general) for fear he was a rival. The Empire's later rulers destroyed what remained of its strength with their infighting (cf Boniface and Aetius).
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

"Leave" won with a whole bunch of 'lazy voters' who will only ever turn out for the referendum and not for a BE in a million years.

I doubt they'll show up at a GE either much,

In terms of likely actual voters, the "remainers" may well outnumber the "leavers". Particularly with UKIP in crisis.

A very good point.

So why is the increasingly useless May basing her stupid Hard Brexit strategy on a bunch of once in a lifetime voters??!
    Because, like it or not, we voted out, despite all the warning about what would happen.
    We voted to LEAVE THE EU, not the single market/EEA and EFTA. May's scorched earth policy makes no sense, economic - or political.
    Except it was mentioned numerous times by both sides that leaving the EU would mean leaving the single market.
    Had a very illuminating conversation with an "in the know" earlier this week. Word from the heart of Brexit government is that it's headless chicken territory. Hundreds of experts in search of a single clue. A very senior figure in the government is pretty certain things are going to be as bad or worse than expected - not least because no practical idea to resolve the situation can get past the nutcase ideologues who seek to make our country poorer.
    A shame the civil service wasn't allowed to start planning for it earlier.
    Hard to plan for something when we don't even know what kind of Brexit we want.
    Some effort at planning scenarios might have illuminated that decision.

Yes. They had one scenario coming out of the Treasury (the worst) and could easily have modelled a dozen different sets of assumptions. Also ther should have been planning by the civil servants into all the legislative implications of a LEAVE vote.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2016
    Not a bad result for Labour, all things considered.

On the US election, there's an interesting divergence of opinion in the spreads markets for the Clinton ECV totals:

SPIN 319-329
    Spreadex 330-342

As I posted last night, I think that's a Buy on SPIN.

Usual caveats apply, spread betting is risky...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

rcs1000 said:

Personal Spin - Disappointing night for Theresa May, the Tory share of the vote is back to the 1997/2001 general election levels, when the Tories got massacred and had around 165 MPs.

Are Dave's Blue Liberals going back to the Yellow Peril? Alarming, all those seats in the South West now at risk.

Pro Tory spin - Second by election victory in 27 years for the Tory, Dave's personal vote unwinding.

All of this makes an early election unlikely, even before we consider the awkwardness of the FTPA.

I think the SW seats are safer than the likes of the SE and Gloucestershire type seats. SW London, Bath, Cheltenham, Oxford W, Lewes etc. That's where a resurgent LibDem party will target.
    2018 and London locals will be fascinating. Large parts are pro-Remain, Labour voters will have increasingly forgotten the coalition, and there's Heathrow expansion in the South West. I would expect the LibDems to make gains in Richmond, Kingston, Merton and Sutton. Twickenham, even with the local Conservative having first term incumbency, I think will be a LibDem gain. They might pick up one more.

I would be less optimistic about the LibDems prospects in the South West, ........

South East England outside London will be interesting. I would forecast a LibDem gain in Cambridge, largely because I think the Labour Party will be comfortably sub 30% and the LibDems will be on 10-14%. That's comfortably a five point swing in the Lab-LibDem gap, but only results in a single gain. Oxford West (or whatever the new seat is called) is also a possible.

I don't see a resurgence in Eastleigh, Eastbourne, Lewes, Bath, etc. I think there may be some narrowed majorities, and some increased council presence, but I think they will likely all stay Conservative in 2020.

In Scotland, the boundary reviews look to be *extremely* favourable for the LibDems (almost suspiciously so). They can reasonably expect to pick up both the Western Edinburgh seat and the Fife one.

Scotland 3
    Wales 1
    SW London 2-3
    University Seats 1-2
    Cumbria 1

9-10 + maybe they hold onto the successor seats in Southport, Sheffield, and Leeds.

It would be difficult for the LibDems to improve on their councillors in my neighbouring constituency of Eastleigh where they have 37 to the Tories 6, but I guess it's possible.
    In Eastleigh the demise of UKIP could open up a few gains for the Conservatives.
    UKIP will lose their 3 county councillors in Eastleigh next May and it will be to the Lib Dems not the Conservatives .
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

With the invective in the POTUS race at historically unseen levels and Trump's concession debacle reverberating, it's worthy to pause to look at the gracious note left by Goerge Bush on the desk of the Oval Office the morning of Bill Clinton's inauguration :

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/read-this-letter-george-h-w-bush-sent-to-bill-clinton-after-losing-1992-election/

The nasty Clinton "machine" ate him up and spat him out. I imagine he was pleased to be out of it by the end of the election.
    The nastiness currently in the American system largely followed Newt Gingrich's "contract with America" followed by the rise of the tea party, which made an art of obstructionism. There is now an element in GOP congress that sees any compromise with the White House as almost treasonable -- and for that matter, any compromise with the mainstream Republican Party.

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

How much was the rise of the party based on Obamas race?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    FF43 said:

Almost the safest Tory seat in England stayed Tory is the uninteresting headline result from Witney. Everything else is happening under the water. I don't think the result will change much in itself. The broader picture is that the UKIP vote is collapsing, which allows the Lib Dems to reestablish their Third Party position.

Might be easier if Farron was any good in the first place. If the LDs can't profit from Corbyn's supine politics then they don't deserve to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited October 2016
    Looks like all the painful work of the last 6 years has been for naught.

"UK public finances for September really horrible. Tax revenues - a count not a survey - very weak."

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/789392291970502656
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Steven Shepard and Charlie Mahtesian of "Politico" look at the state of play in the battleground states. It's not comfortable reading for Trump :

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/trumps-incredible-shrinking-map-230135

I think we pretty much get the message that it's all over bar the shouting for The Donald (unless we see the greatest polling disaster to end all polling disasters unfold)

Shall we talk about something else instead? How about AV? Or our best Jam making recipe's? :smiley:
    Sorry, loads more pointing, laughing and sneering at the Donald to be done.
  • Options

Mr. 1000, are you saying you took Angelina Jolie to Heaven and back?

Lara Croft and The Heights of Ecstasy.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    JonathanD said:

Looks like all the painful work of the last 6 years has been for naught.

"UK public finances for September really horrible. Tax revenues - a count not a survey - very weak."

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/789392291970502656

It would have been for naught if we were back where we started.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

It's not all one sided though. The Clinton's are (and always have been) very shady, nasty people. I remember the 1992 campaign and Bill Clinton's "machine" was like steam-roller against an essentially decent (if rather weak) HW.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,726

rcs1000 said:

2n the coalition, and there's Heathrow expansion in the South West. I would expect the LibDems to make gains in Richmond, Kingston, Merton and Sutton. Twickenham, even with the local Conservative having first term incumbency, I think will be a LibDem gain. They might pick up one more.

Scotland 3
    Wales 1
    SW London 2-3
    University Seats 1-2
    Cumbria 1

UKIP will lose their 3 county councillors in Eastleigh next May and it will be to the Lib Dems not the Conservatives .
    I've just been looking at the North Yorkshire results from last time around, and was shocked to see that UKIP won a seat in Harrogate! Ought to be another area for a LD bounce-back?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    Not much to add to the commentary above.

LDs have proven they are competitive, but need to drill into Labour support if they want to deliver a comeback. As it is, TMay should not worry about losing 5 or so seats to them when she is likely to gain many more from Labour.

Good to see UKIP collapsing and I presume this vote either didn't turn out or has now crossed to the Tories. It's over for them. Their only purpose from now on will be to split the Labour vote in the North and East Midlands.

One last thing. This result has no implications for Remain vs Leave or Hard vs Soft. Not the right seat to make this a salient issue. A London seat would be different.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    rcs1000 said:

Pro Tory spin - Second by election victory in 27 years for the Tory, Dave's personal vote unwinding.

I would be less optimistic about the LibDems prospects in the South West, outside a (very) few seats. Next year's local elections in Cornwall and Devon will indicate whether they have any hope of picking up seats down there, but I suspect they will struggle, and maybe even go backwards, in 2020.

Scotland 3
    Wales 1
    SW London 2-3
    University Seats 1-2
    Cumbria 1

I will stick my neck out and say the Lib Dems will take overall control of Cornwall next May . A tough ask with the number of Independents but the Conservative vote has collapsed in the county in the last 18 months although it is unclear why .
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

"Leave" won with a whole bunch of 'lazy voters' who will only ever turn out for the referendum and not for a BE in a million years.

In terms of likely actual voters, the "remainers" may well outnumber the "leavers". Particularly with UKIP in crisis.

A very good point.

So why is the increasingly useless May basing her stupid Hard Brexit strategy on a bunch of once in a lifetime voters??!
    Because, like it or not, we voted out, despite all the warning about what would happen.
    We voted to LEAVE THE EU, not the single market/EEA and EFTA. May's scorched earth policy makes no sense, economic - or political.
    Except it was mentioned numerous times by both sides that leaving the EU would mean leaving the single market.
    Had a very illuminating conversation with an "in the know" earlier this week. Word from the heart of Brexit government is that it's headless chicken territory. Hundreds of experts in search of a single clue. A very senior figure in the government is pretty certain things are going to be as bad or worse than expected - not least because no practical idea to resolve the situation can get past the nutcase ideologues who seek to make our country poorer.

Yes. They had one scenario coming out of the Treasury (the worst) and could easily have modelled a dozen different sets of assumptions. Also ther should have been planning by the civil servants into all the legislative implications of a LEAVE vote.
    The Treasury modelled more than one scenario.
  • Options
    Dr. Spyn, ha, one imagines there is such gentleman's special interest literature in existence somewhere or other.

"I'm sorry," he told her. "But I've crash-landed on an isolated island. We could be here some time..."
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    JonathanD said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:

Pulpstar said:

A very good point.

The Treasury modelled more than one scenario.
    To modify Ronald Reagan's dictum: the most frightening words in the language are "I am from the Treasury and Brexit is under control".
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880

rcs1000 said:

Personal Spin -

I would be less optimistic about the LibDems prospects in the South West, outside a (very) few seats. Next year's local elections in Cornwall and Devon will indicate whether they have any hope of picking up seats down there, but I suspect they will struggle, and maybe even go backwards, in 2020.

Scotland 3
    Wales 1
    SW London 2-3
    University Seats 1-2
    Cumbria 1

I will stick my neck out and say the Lib Dems will take overall control of Cornwall next May . A tough ask with the number of Independents but the Conservative vote has collapsed in the county in the last 18 months although it is unclear why .
    Sounds believable. Cornwall is not really in the SW psephologically. It is a land unto itself, similar to the Scottish Highlands.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    rcs1000 said:

<
    About 10x the resources!

But you know what? In the previous by-elections, they couldn't get their activists engaged. This time they did. That's a meaningful difference.

Even I went up there once and the enthusiasm and the energy was like being back in the 80s and 90s. In a sense, the party has gone back to some tried and trusted methods of campaigning and in traditionally strong areas it will work to some degree. The well appointed leaflet and individual voter contact still has resonance.

However, I certainly didn't appreciate the skill with which the Conservatives fought the GE campaign on social media - it was impressive - but as with all other advances, other parties are learning and improving on these techniques.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904

'That experts line worked for Brexit, perhaps it can resuscitate my career!'

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/789378006980653056

The comments under read like something out of 'Govey' in Dead Ringers
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    JackW said:

Sean_F said:

It's very unusual for governments to put on support in by-elections, however good the polling is.

I think the anti-Brexit stance of the Lib Dems did help them build support, although as others have pointed out, the vote for pro-Brexit parties was slightly up on the referendum.

Sean, may I ask if you're still in the UKIP fold or are you looking for a new home in the Popular Front for the Liberation of Judea (Luton Branch) ?
    I can't see any real reason to renew my subscription next year. The only reason would be if Theresa May were to renege on Brexit.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pong said:

OllyT said:

Of the two latest national opinion polls, both have Trump in the lead. Okay, they are both tracking polls but there's a golden rule on here about not cherry picking the polls we wish to see.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/white_house_watch_oct20
    http://www.investors.com/politics/trump-holds-on-to-1-point-lead-as-debate-sparks-fly/

If anyone is tempted to bet on Trump based on this post I strongly advise that they do little research into American polling companies first - if you still want to bet on an outcome that only Rasmussen & LA Times predict then good luck to you.
    Serious value? I imagine that 5.8 might be close to the actual probability; i.e., the bookies win.
    I'd go 5-10% - ie >9/1

I'm trying to work out if Clinton is going to win with a big popular vote victory but come up fractions of a percent short in lots of "running up the score" states or not.
  • Options

Apart from Bath, I don't think the Tory MPs are in much danger in the South West.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Sean_F said:

It's very unusual for governments to put on support in by-elections, however good the polling is.

I think the anti-Brexit stance of the Lib Dems did help them build support, although as others have pointed out, the vote for pro-Brexit parties was slightly up on the referendum.

The Conservative vote share is at the 1997/2001 core number. There was no shattering of that glass ceiling as there was at Newbury or Christchurch. The result is more like the South West Surrey by election in 1984 when the Alliance (as it then was) simply couldn't break down the core Conservative vote in that seat at that time.

The more I look at Witney, the more it looks like a typical 80s by election in a solid Conservative seat.

I agree. Many UKIP voters won't go Conservative, but enough will to enable the Conservatives to enjoy 1980's type support.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,437
    There was a discussion about China yesterday. This popped into my email today from ACM:

"The Top500 list of the fastest high-performance computers (HPCs) places China at the head of the race toward exascale. China also has 167 supercomputers on the list, more than any other country, including the U.S, which has 165. Gartner analyst Chirag Dekate says the Chinese "believe that to dominate the economies of tomorrow they need to control the supply chains of emerging technologies." "
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Sean, may I ask if you're still in the UKIP fold or are you looking for a new home in the Popular Front for the Liberation of Judea (Luton Branch) ?
    I can't see any real reason to renew my subscription next year. The only reason would be if Theresa May were to renege on Brexit.
    Since we're told Brexit is Brexit and we're deffo getting it, what form of Brexit would you consider a renegement?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

Since we're told Brexit is Brexit and we're deffo getting it, what form of Brexit would you consider a renegement?
    Sunny side up
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,944

Not a bad result for Labour, all things considered.

On the US election, there's an interesting divergence of opinion in the spreads markets for the Clinton ECV totals:

SPIN 319-329
    Spreadex 330-342

As I posted last night, I think that's a Buy on SPIN.

Usual caveats apply, spread betting is risky...

Staying well away from ECV spreads personally. There's a tipping point where a couple of percent in vote share runs half a dozen states one way or the other very quickly.

I'm on Shadsy's 7/2 of 0-5% Hillary win and have the Donald at current prices but from a year ago (!), am red on a landslide.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2016
    Alistair said:

Pong said:

OllyT said:

I'd go 5-10% - ie >9/1

I'm trying to work out if Clinton is going to win with a big popular vote victory but come up fractions of a percent short in lots of "running up the score" states or not.
    Trump's vote actually looks quite efficient.

btw, I'm sure you've already seen it, but this;

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/clinton-trump-vote-maps-2016/

Is a really important map/article for punters.
  • Options

I put the Witney result into Electoral Calculas predictor for a bit of fun. Labour lose 115 seats on new boundaries, Liberals gain 46.

But Conservatives gain most.
  • Options
    T-shirts with "Nasty women vote" on them are selling well apparently.
  • Options

There was a discussion about China yesterday. This popped into my email today from ACM:

"The Top500 list of the fastest high-performance computers (HPCs) places China at the head of the race toward exascale. China also has 167 supercomputers on the list, more than any other country, including the U.S, which has 165. Gartner analyst Chirag Dekate says the Chinese "believe that to dominate the economies of tomorrow they need to control the supply chains of emerging technologies." "

Yes, there's a lot going on under the radar in China. Saw a statistic yesterday that China has now overtaken the US as the biggest country for Apple App Store revenues. That's a remarkable statistic, given that most rural Chinese wouldn't know what an iPhone was if they were hit over the head with it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Apart from Bath, I don't think the Tory MPs are in much danger in the South West.
    Scott Mann in Cornwall North seems particularly unpopular again I don't know why
  • Options

Still waiting on my 'Tory Scum' shirt.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/election_data/status/789407638056337410

Corbyn brings Tory lead down to 16 points.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

stodge said:

Sean_F said:

The Conservative vote share is at the 1997/2001 core number. There was no shattering of that glass ceiling as there was at Newbury or Christchurch. The result is more like the South West Surrey by election in 1984 when the Alliance (as it then was) simply couldn't break down the core Conservative vote in that seat at that time.

The more I look at Witney, the more it looks like a typical 80s by election in a solid Conservative seat.

I agree. Many UKIP voters won't go Conservative, but enough will to enable the Conservatives to enjoy 1980's type support.

As the Tories move to the right and nationalistic they will lose some voters to the Lib Dems but win others from UKIP. The net balance is yet to be determined.

The biggest threat to TM still comes from the business community. The public sector borrowing figures were poor today and sterling continues to be weak.

Yesterday I had 2 nice ladies from Sottish Enterprise come to visit me to help try and understand why the business community does not get on with the Scottish Government. For 10 years our politicans in Scotland have been running a low level war with the business community. Start ups in Scotland are at an all time low and Glasgow has stopped making almost anything. The SNP on one level has won in that dissent no longer exists. On the other hand the country is stone cold broke. TM beware.

• Options
    Are there any more parliamentary by-elections on the horizon do we know?

Perhaps Richmond with a Zac Goldsmith re-run. Any others?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Gives Conservative majority 112 if u plug into Electoral Calculus (new boundaries)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

JackW said:

Sean_F said:

As in she decides Britain will not leave the EU after all? Zero chance of that happening I'd suggest.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    RobD said:

I hope they don't make any embarrassing mistakes with the spacing.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sandpit said:

Staying well away from ECV spreads personally. There's a tipping point where a couple of percent in vote share runs half a dozen states one way or the other very quickly.

Indeed, you have to be well aware of the risks.

However, in this case the risk looks asymmetric to me at SPIN's Buy price of 329. If (as seems likely) Clinton wins FL NV NC and NE2, she's up to 323. If that's as far as she gets, you've lost 6 points. On the other hand, if things go a bit better for her, then next on her list is OH which takes you up to 341 straight away, and therefore a 12-point profit, with ME2 (1) IA (6) and AZ (11) all potentially within reach.

In other words, I think the most likely final values are 323, 341, 347, and 358 (plus or minus one or two for NE2 and ME2 where the polling information is scant).

As always, DYOR, you can lose your shirt on the spreads, etc etc.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    What bloody right does any politician in Europe have to call for anyone's resignation - especially the Foreign Sec.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/21/theresa-may-uk-centre-of-european-decision-making-until-brexit

As time goes on, the happier I am with the result in June.
  • Options
    RobD said:

They are probably oversubscribed given that anybody to the right of Lenin is apparently vermin and scum.
  • Options

O/T the buyer of a property my client is selling is called Ferhat Anus.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Mortimer said:

What bloody right does any politician in Europe have to call for anyone's resignation - especially the Foreign Sec.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/21/theresa-may-uk-centre-of-european-decision-making-until-brexit

Anyone in this country, I mean!
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Mrs May must be thinking the possibility of a Spring election on those numbers.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Quite. I assume Boris will be giving them a reply made famous by Arkell vs Pressdram?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

However, in this case the risk looks asymmetric to me at SPIN's Buy price of 329. If (as seems likely) Clinton wins FL NV NC and NE2, she's up to 323. If that's as far as she gets, you've lost 6 points. On the other hand, if things go a bit better for her, then next on her list is OH which takes you up to 341 straight away, and therefore a 12-point profit, with ME2 (1) IA (6) and AZ (11) all potentially within reach.

In other words, I think the most likely final values are 323, 341, 347, and 358 (plus or minus one or two for NE2 and ME2 where the polling information is scant).

Sabato reckons she has 352 on current polling.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Sean_F said:

I've just seen a YouTube clip with a spokesman called Saad Maan.

I still cherish WH spokesbod Larry Speaks.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Of course no Brit has ever called for the resignation of Juncker or Merkel?
  • Options

What's happening with Burnham? Will he stand down as MP to fight for Manchester mayor or wait until he wins.

Or hasn't he made his mind up yet?
  • Options
    King of Langley, zero chance she'd go for it voluntarily, but there is a chance the Lords, courts, and Cleggian Brusselophiles might lead to us not leaving.

Mr. Glenn, Tor Yscum is a wonderful Welsh hill fort.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

I've just seen a YouTube clip with a spokesman called Saad Maan.
    On A Traaaain?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    rcs1000 said:

About 10x the resources!

Well, if they want to piss their scarce cash resources up a wall to no effect....
  • Options
    edited October 2016

What's happening with Burnham? Will he stand down as MP to fight for Manchester mayor or wait until he wins.

Or hasn't he made his mind up yet?
    He's Andy Burnham, of course he hasn't made up his mind!

Nor does he need to of course, might as well keep drawing a public salary until another one turns up, hey?
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, could be wrong but I thought the Lib Dems had a surprisingly good tally of donations for the last set of figures.

Of course, they've lost a lot of the tithing that happened from elected representatives.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Yes, plus a potential further 6 from IA which he rates a toss-up. He's generally quite cautious, so it's interesting that he's sticking his neck out that far.

Other forecasts:

RCP 'no-toss-up': 333 (they have OH just in the Trump camp)
    538 mean of polls-only distribution: 343
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Not Merkel, she's for the Germans to decide what to do with.

That Junker didn't resign on June 24th says all one needs to know about the unelected and unaccountable EU hierarchy.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

About 10x the resources!

Well, if they want to piss their scarce cash resources up a wall to no effect....
    I'm sure no spending limts were broken...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited October 2016
    dr_spyn said:

The great british public don't seem to be taking to this idea of 21st century socialism aka corbynism. I am sure his Twitter army will blame it on the Jews or something.
  • Options

Yes, plus a potential further 6 from IA which he rates a toss-up. He's generally quite cautious, so it's interesting that he's sticking his neck out that far.

Other forecasts:

RCP 'no-toss-up': 333 (they have OH just in the Trump camp)
    538 mean of polls-only distribution: 343
    I think the results will be less predictable than four years ago. Of course if Clinton leads comfortably across the board, then those variations won't change states.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

The great british public don't seem to be taking this idea of 21st century socialism aka corbynism. I am sure his Twitter army will blame it on the Jews or something.
    It's clearly much more popular than Kipperism, unless of course you add the Tory vote to UKIP.
  • Options

King of Langley, zero chance she'd go for it voluntarily, but there is a chance the Lords, courts, and Cleggian Brusselophiles might lead to us not leaving.

:lol:
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,607
    edited October 2016
    Sean_F said:

Makes you wish Anal Sheikh was still practising.

That would be an awesome client/solicitor combo
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Opposition prats maybe, not the leader of the Conservatives in the European Parliament.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I can see your logic there, but nothing about the morning of November 9th will surprise me after all that's gone before.

My betting total so far is the grand sum of £42 (as opposed to several hundred last time), scared that the complete political shakeup and the efficiency of Trump's vote (as noted by 538 in the link below) could still throw the sort of shock that will make the Brexit vote shock seem like the odds-on favourite winning a by-election in comparison!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

About 10x the resources!

More like the LD election spending is the equivalent of p***ing into their own clothes and they got a brief warm feeling from it?
  • Options

My friend's parents lived in a lovely place called Gay's Lees. It was universally known as Gay Sleaze.....
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    Surprisingly light...
  • Options
    Poor old Fake Sheik! :(
  • Options
    Ooh. Mind the soap!
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, sounds fabulous.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    eek said:

Surprisingly light...
    Out before Valentine's Day 2017
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I do so hope they are known to their friends as "Furry"....
  • Options
    eek said:

Surprisingly light...
    Yep, not even a 'Coulson'.
  • Options
    Trump campaign promised a $100million as buy over the last month, actual spend $23million according to campaign finance filings.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    On Topic

Could have sworn there were 2 Parliamentary By Elections
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

About 10x the resources!

More like the LD election spending is the equivalent of p***ing into their own clothes and they got a brief warm feeling from it?
    :D
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, aye, but most of the major parties didn't turn up to the other.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Trump campaign promised a $100million as buy over the last month, actual spend $23million according to campaign finance filings.

Why spend money on ad buys when Wikileaks/John Podesta's emails are going to win you the Presidency
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Ooh. Mind the soap!
    That's enough Anal Sheik - ed.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That'll be an anagram of something - like ausfahrten..
  • Options
    Pong said:

Alistair said:

Pong said:

OllyT said:

I'd go 5-10% - ie >9/1

Trump's vote actually looks quite efficient.

btw, I'm sure you've already seen it, but this;

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/clinton-trump-vote-maps-2016/

Is a really important map/article for punters.
    That's my general though as well. Trump's vote is very efficient but as soon as the first one goes then it's a blow out as they all go.

At the moment I have a pause on betting. I'm okay with my state bets and I chucked a bit more on Hilary as thr markets must surely catch up with reality soon and 1.19 is too long. but that is that.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Looks like Mahmood overegged the pudding trying to get a decent headline against Tulisa. Couldn't help himself, could he.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

On Topic

Could have sworn there were 2 Parliamentary By Elections

T'Batley an' Spen by election was as exciting as T'Haltemprice and Howden by election of 2008
  • Options

Alistair said:

Why spend money on ad buys when Wikileaks/John Podesta's emails are going to win you the Presidency
    20 mil more spent than raised, 30mil cash in hand
  • Options

My friend's parents lived in a lovely place called Gay's Lees. It was universally known as Gay Sleaze.....
    A village nr me is called Blackboys. Another is Dicker. And Nomansland. And Worlds End.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    An alternative low-risk strategy on the spreads is to Buy Clinton at 329 with SPIN and sell the Clinton 250- Ups with Spreadex at 91. That locks in a fixed 12-point profit provided Clinton gets anything from 250 upwards (which is very likely indeed), and doesn't hit a loss until she's as low as 238. That corresponds to her losing all of NC NV FL CO NH and PA.
This discussion has been closed.