Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » CON hold Witney with a much reduced majority & the LDs coming

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    PlatoSaid said:

King of Langley, zero chance she'd go for it voluntarily, but there is a chance the Lords, courts, and Cleggian Brusselophiles might lead to us not leaving.

Mr. Glenn, Tor Yscum is a wonderful Welsh hill fort.

My friend's parents lived in a lovely place called Gay's Lees. It was universally known as Gay Sleaze.....
    A village nr me is called Blackboys. Another is Dicker. And Nomansland. And Worlds End.
    County Durham has a village called Pity Me, and Essex has Ugley.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,751

On Topic

Could have sworn there were 2 Parliamentary By Elections

T'Batley an' Spen by election was as exciting as T'Haltemprice and Howden by election of 2008
    Anyone know the last time all the candidates except the winner lost their deposit in a parliamentary election?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    Have there been any polls on who won the charity dinner last night?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

King of Langley, zero chance she'd go for it voluntarily, but there is a chance the Lords, courts, and Cleggian Brusselophiles might lead to us not leaving.

My friend's parents lived in a lovely place called Gay's Lees. It was universally known as Gay Sleaze.....
    A village nr me is called Blackboys. Another is Dicker. And Nomansland. And Worlds End.
    Pity Me isn't too far from No Place.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904

On Topic

T'Batley an' Spen by election was as exciting as T'Haltemprice and Howden by election of 2008
    No trouble at t'mill in either
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Sandpit said:

Staying well away from ECV spreads personally. There's a tipping point where a couple of percent in vote share runs half a dozen states one way or the other very quickly.

Indeed, you have to be well aware of the risks.

However, in this case the risk looks asymmetric to me at SPIN's Buy price of 329. If (as seems likely) Clinton wins FL NV NC and NE2, she's up to 323. If that's as far as she gets, you've lost 6 points. On the other hand, if things go a bit better for her, then next on her list is OH which takes you up to 341 straight away, and therefore a 12-point profit, with ME2 (1) IA (6) and AZ (11) all potentially within reach.

In other words, I think the most likely final values are 323, 341, 347, and 358 (plus or minus one or two for NE2 and ME2 where the polling information is scant).

As always, DYOR, you can lose your shirt on the spreads, etc etc.
    Isn't it better to sell Donald Trump than buy Hillary Clinton, given the distinct possibility that Utah might go to the outsider?

Anyway, I'm happy enough selling Donald Trump right now.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited October 2016
    Vote shares and changes for all local council by elections in October

Con 24.2% minus 4.7%
    Lab 28.4% minus 1.1%
    LDem 18.6% plus 8.2%
    UKIP 6.2% minus 3.7%
    Green 4.8% minus 1.2%
    Nats 7.1% plus 3.1%
    Others 10.6% minus 0.7%
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904

On Topic

Anyone know the last time all the candidates except the winner lost their deposit in a parliamentary election?
    Sounds exciting result for proper political anoraks.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2016

Isn't it better to sell Donald Trump than buy Hillary Clinton, given the distinct possibility that Utah might go to the outsider?

Yes, you are right, although that means you wouldn't profit if Clinton comes through the middle in Utah.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Somewhere in Warwickshire is a road sign that says Shrewley and Mouse End, which I always liked. Near where I lived in Berkshire is Scratchface Lane, Tutts Clump.
  • Options

Mr. Mark, could be wrong but I thought the Lib Dems had a surprisingly good tally of donations for the last set of figures.

Of course, they've lost a lot of the tithing that happened from elected representatives.

But gained from the more recent increase in membership fees.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Yes, you are right, although that means you wouldn't profit if Clinton comes through the middle in Utah.
    I think Trump is the one who comes through the middle now if any middle coming is going to happen (I.e. I've backed Hilary and McMullin so Trump is the one who fucks me up)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pity Me is actually from the French - Petit Mer.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    edited October 2016

An alternative low-risk strategy on the spreads is to Buy Clinton at 329 with SPIN and sell the Clinton 250- Ups with Spreadex at 91. That locks in a fixed 12-point profit provided Clinton gets anything from 250 upwards (which is very likely indeed), and doesn't hit a loss until she's as low as 238. That corresponds to her losing all of NC NV FL CO NH and PA.

Sandpit said:

Staying well away from ECV spreads personally. There's a tipping point where a couple of percent in vote share runs half a dozen states one way or the other very quickly.

Indeed, you have to be well aware of the risks.

However, in this case the risk looks asymmetric to me at SPIN's Buy price of 329. If (as seems likely) Clinton wins FL NV NC and NE2, she's up to 323. If that's as far as she gets, you've lost 6 points. On the other hand, if things go a bit better for her, then next on her list is OH which takes you up to 341 straight away, and therefore a 12-point profit, with ME2 (1) IA (6) and AZ (11) all potentially within reach.

In other words, I think the most likely final values are 323, 341, 347, and 358 (plus or minus one or two for NE2 and ME2 where the polling information is scant).

As always, DYOR, you can lose your shirt on the spreads, etc etc.

I've sold Trump @ 209 and Clinton 250 ups @ 91 for the same stake.

I think this combines both tips/suggestions...
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    The Brexiteers' quintuple whammy.

Greater borrowing.
    More unemployment.
    Weakened pound.
    Reduced investment.
    Rising prices.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yep, a 12-point profit if Clinton gets at least 250, plus a 6-point bonus if McMullin wins Utah.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Somewhere in Warwickshire is a road sign that says Shrewley and Mouse End, which I always liked. Near where I lived in Berkshire is Scratchface Lane, Tutts Clump.
    Lower Piddle on the Marsh - Glocs

Also see Shitterton and Pratts Bottom at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2188441/Shitterton-comes-list-Britains-worst-place-names-including-Pratts-Bottom-Crapstone-Slag-Lane--live-insist-lovely-place-live.html
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Greater borrowing.
    More unemployment.
    Weakened pound.
    Reduced investment.
    Rising prices.

Borrowing below what Labour bequeathed and will do still.
    Employment rate at a record high.
    Weakened pound.
    Increased investment.
    Inflation well below target.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,729

On Topic

Maybe a Speaker election?
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Pulpstar said:

Yep, a 12-point profit if Clinton gets at least 250, plus a 6-point bonus if McMullin wins Utah.
    If the bet loses, Trump comes in anyway.

Was going to to up having done the sums but the Clinton Ups line has moved.

Should net me £180 anyway.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,157

Jobabob said:

Greater borrowing.
    More unemployment.
    Weakened pound.
    Reduced investment.
    Rising prices.

Weakened pound.
    Increased investment.
    With a record like that, triggering Article 50 looks like a needless gamble wouldn't you say?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Glenn, judging something long-term a failure three months after the decision and perhaps three months before negotiation starts is a bit like judging your newborn a failure after it vomits on the carpet.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,729
    felix said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

https://www.facebook.com/places/Things-to-do-in-Wank-Bayern-Germany/113855061960926/
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Greater borrowing.
    More unemployment.
    Weakened pound.
    Reduced investment.
    Rising prices.

Weakened pound.
    Increased investment.
    I'm old enough to remember a time when governments would have been delighted by 2.5% growth, 1% inflation, and 5% unemployment. In fact, had you suggested to politicians that such an outcome was possible, they'd have laughed you to scorn.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    edited October 2016

On Topic

Good question. When was the last time everyone stood aside - Betty Boothroyd maybe?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Greater borrowing.
    More unemployment.
    Weakened pound.
    Reduced investment.
    Rising prices.

The UK's key economic problems are low productivity, huge balance of trade deficit and huge government budget deficit.

Brexit should help reduce the balance of trade deficit with the lower pound and restrictions on the number of immigrant workers should improve productivity as measured by GDP per head.
  • Options
    The shame. THE SHAME!

Brexit news: chocolate currency now stronger than the pound

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2016/10/19/brexit-news-chocolate-currency-now-stronger-pound/

Brexiteers truly are the Quisling fifth columnists in the United Kingdom
  • Options

Mr. Glenn, judging something long-term a failure three months after the decision and perhaps three months before negotiation starts is a bit like judging your newborn a failure after it vomits on the carpet.

On the contrary, I was judging our EU membership a long-term success on the basis of a 40 year record. Brexit hasn't begun to happen yet.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    edited October 2016

felix said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

https://www.facebook.com/places/Things-to-do-in-Wank-Bayern-Germany/113855061960926/
    If we're allowed to go European does anywhere beat the small Austrian town of F***ing?
    They had a big problem a few years back with British tourists stealing all their f***ing road signs.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/15/austrian_signs/
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sean_F said:

I'm old enough to remember a time when governments would have been delighted by 2.5% growth, 1% inflation, and 5% unemployment. In fact, had you suggested to politicians that such an outcome was possible, they'd have laughed you to scorn.

Quite so.

Thanks for you earlier reply.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,453

On Topic

Maybe a Speaker election?
    Not in Bercow's era. Seem to recall UKIP and Greens did well against him.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, a Yorkshireman who's a member of the Lancashire County Cricket Club has no right to lecture others on fifth columnists.

Mr. Glenn, and yet there was no positive case whatsoever made for the EU during the referendum campaign.

When asked "What has the EU ever done for us?" the answer was "Er...".
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

If we're allowed to go European does anywhere beat the small Austrian town of F***ing?
    I believe there are streets in England named after one of Donald Trump's pastimes that could compete.
  • Options

Mr. Glenn, and yet there was no positive case whatsoever made for the EU during the referendum campaign.

When asked "What has the EU ever done for us?" the answer was "Er...".

Yes, UK politicians are a dreadfully poor bunch aren't they? I wouldn't want the fate of my country to depend solely on their judgement.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

Greater borrowing.
    More unemployment.
    Weakened pound.
    Reduced investment.
    Rising prices.

Weakened pound.
    Increased investment.
    With a record like that, triggering Article 50 looks like a needless gamble wouldn't you say?
    Inflation is only closer to target and the balance of payments has a real chance of improvement because not in spite of the imminent invocation of A50.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Sandpit said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Joke:
    Urban schoolchild goes on outing to see a farm. Gets home and his dad says "What did you see?" Schoolkid: "I saw some sheep, I saw some pigs, I saw some fuckers". "Fuckers, boy?" Yes dad, farmer called them 'eifers but I knew what he meant".
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, then rejoice, because most British politicians were on the side that lost.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

I believe there are streets in England named after one of Donald Trump's pastimes that could compete.
    Gropechump Lane?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    eek said:

Surprisingly light...
    Word was '5 years'.....
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Oh dear, I wonder if one of his Brexiteer friends will break it to him gently...

@DanielJHannan: Full WTO tariffs would cost British exporters £5.2 billion and EU exporters £12.9 billion. Which is why neither side will impose them.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Sandpit said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Joke:
    Urban schoolchild goes on outing to see a farm. Gets home and his dad says "What did you see?" Schoolkid: "I saw some sheep, I saw some pigs, I saw some fuckers". "Fuckers, boy?" Yes dad, farmer called them 'eifers but I knew what he meant".
    That's like Douglas Bader giving a speech at a girls' school about his wartime air battles, and telling the girls that "there were fuckers to the right and left of me." The red-faced teacher explained to the girls that a Fokker was a German aircraft, when Bader replied "I don't know about that, but these fuckers were Messerschmitts."
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh dear, I wonder if one of his Brexiteer friends will break it to him gently...

@DanielJHannan: Full WTO tariffs would cost British exporters £5.2 billion and EU exporters £12.9 billion. Which is why neither side will impose them.

Break what? He's right.
  • Options
    Listen very carefully, I shall post this only once:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO-Ocueehfc

And with that, I must be off.
  • Options
    I remember seeing this address of a pub in a ragmag years ago:

The Cockwell Inn
    Tillit
    Herts
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

It's odd that someone who believes so fervently in the rationality of man is such an irrational man himself.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

felix said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

Many of the more descriptive Medieval street names were cleaned up in the Victorian era. There was once a famous Alley in the City called Grope Cxxt Alley. Many side streets with grope in the title became Grape Streets. The good old Angle Saxons liked to let you know what trade existed in each street.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

Greater borrowing.
    More unemployment.
    Weakened pound.
    Reduced investment.
    Rising prices.

Weakened pound.
    Increased investment.
    I'm sure one of our Stats geeks can point out the frequent times we've enjoyed such a Goldilocks combination.....

Meanwhile surely Brexit's lead locale should be 'Wideopen'? A small village north of Newcastle, on the Great North Road - pronounced as you might expect - tho one Southern posho who moved there thinking it was 'North Gosforth' insisted it was pronounced 'widdy-o-pen'.....
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    edited October 2016
    So I've been thinking about it for a while, I think it is time to form a new political party. I'm going to call it the Free Liberal Party (FLP).

The party stands for:

Free speech
    Free trade
    Free market

In order of importance.

In practice that means:

1. No more hate speech laws, no more safe spaces. Open discussion of any idea, however distasteful they might be.

2. The nation will seek free trade with any party who is willing and generally have low import tariffs for nations who don't. The nation will also work within the WTO to eliminate NTBs on a sector by sector basis rather than seek an imposition of standards in the way that the US does.

3. The nation will seek a free market solution to commerce and labour with a base income of £12.50/h. With that we will eliminate payroll taxes and lower corporation tax to 12.5% for small and medium business and 15% for big business. We will also eliminate all in working benefits and tax credits and out of work benefits will be made on a contributory basis with a minimum 12 months of work in the last 24 months required to qualify. Unemployment benefits will be paid for up to 12 months at a rate of 60% of previous gross income.

4. We don't give a shit if you're gay, black, white or whatever. Everyone is welcome as long as they welcome everyone else.

Anyone who wants to join is welcome to do so.
  • Options
    nouveau fil
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

So I've been thinking about it for a while, I think it is time to form a new political party. I'm going to call it the Free Liberal Party (FLP).

The party stands for:

Free speech
    Free trade
    Free market

In order of importance.

In practice that means:

1. No more hate speech laws, no more safe spaces. Open discussion of any idea, however distasteful they might be.

2. The nation will seek free trade with any party who is willing and generally have low import tariffs for nations who don't. The nation will also work within the WTO to eliminate NTBs on a sector by sector basis rather than seek an imposition of standards in the way that the US does.

3. The nation will seek a free market solution to commerce and labour with a base income of £12.50/h. With that we will eliminate payroll taxes and lower corporation tax to 12.5% for small and medium business and 15% for big business. We will also eliminate all in working benefits and tax credits and out of work benefits will be made on a contributory basis with a minimum 12 months of work in the last 24 months required to qualify. Unemployment benefits will be paid for up to 12 months at a rate of 60% of previous gross income.

4. We don't give a shit if you're gay, black, white or whatever. Everyone is welcome as long as they welcome everyone else.

Anyone who wants to join is welcome to do so.

When do you launch it :) ?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

Greater borrowing.
    More unemployment.
    Weakened pound.
    Reduced investment.
    Rising prices.

Weakened pound.
    Increased investment.or a
    Will people like you please make up your minds whether this is a period of uncommon prosperity for the country or a stagnant dystopia where ordinary people are engaged in a Sisyphean struggle to keep their heads above water while being pushed down by an unaccountable elite bureaucracy?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,133
    rcs1000 said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

I think the surprising result is how well the Labour vote held up.

Only for blind Tories Rob
    I thought the consensus view was that Labour was going to be squeezed by the LDs?
    LD's are dead in Scotland. Labour and Tories are the baldy men arguing over a comb.
    Want to bet on LD constituency seats in 2020?

I reckon they will increase their number by at least 100%.

Happy to have a small wager
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    HMS Term was an airfield near Twatt.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

It has probably been said down stream but despite an absolutely massive effort and swamping Witney itself in the last week, LD's only knocked 2% out of the Labour vote. Even allowing for a strong local candidate that is disappointing and (cough) I did flag it up in the piece for PB a week or so ago.

Left wing voters have still not forgiven LD's for the Coalition I suspect. There were tweets from locals saying that the LD's are a centre right party and not an alternative to Labour

The irony is that on a policy by policy basis there was nowt but a gnat's testicle between the two candidates

With the slump in turnout at Witney what we do not know is where the LDs gained 23%? Did they just do a better GOTV and get a higher turnout from existing LD voters and some gains from Cons, Greens and Lab? The LDs certainly poured more resources in than the other parties.
    About 10x the resources!

But you know what? In the previous by-elections, they couldn't get their activists engaged. This time they did. That's a meaningful difference.
    Well, if they want to piss their scarce cash resources up a wall to no effect....
    More like the LD election spending is the equivalent of p***ing into their own clothes and they got a brief warm feeling from it?
    :D
    Given that there's been a membership surge following the General Election and the referendum, I don't think that the LD coffers are particularly bare at the moment. The big effort in Witney was driven by the fact that activists are really keen to get out and campaign against Brexit and May's rightwards shift.

My experience from canvassing in Witney was that when you encountered Labour voters in majority Tory voting streets they were more likely than not to switch across. However, there were solid clumps of Labour support where there had clearly been enough activity from the Labour Party to dissuade the residents from believing that the Lib Dems were the main challengers. With a longer campaign I think these pockets of resistance could probably have been broken down.

Opposing a hard Brexit is at least as effective a vote winning policy as opposing the Iraq war was in the noughties. It'll probably take a by election win before voters start to take notice and the national polls shift.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Scott_P said:

Tariff is paid by the importer.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

Greater borrowing.
    More unemployment.
    Weakened pound.
    Reduced investment.
    Rising prices.

Weakened pound.
    Increased investment.
    When are you going to get 2.5% growth in the next few years ?
This discussion has been closed.