Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meet Liam Fox, the 21st century Gerald Ratner

Comments

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    PlatoSaid said:

Pew Research
    Which attitudes most associated w/ 'warm' feelings toward Trump? Negative views of immigrants, diversity. @FactTank
    https://t.co/8C9XhN4y1r

"Among the vast majority of GOP voters who think that the growing number of newcomers to the U.S. “threatens traditional American customs and values,” 59% have warm feelings toward Donald Trump – with 42% saying they feel very warmly toward him.

Which means that 41% have negative feelings towards Donald Trump - only a 9% swing difference.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

MaxPB said:

Just to underline how badly things are going in Japan, Sony are selling three year paper with a 0.05% interest rate and they are barely at investment grade according to western ratings agencies.

One wonders whether it might be time to think of a new policy.

What do you make of the PS4 Plus? Seems like a lot of very negative reaction and we know that their VR tech is miles behind Vive.
    I'm very unimpressed. The whole point of console gaming is to ensure a fixed specification for gamers and developers for between five and seven years. By bringing a mid-generation upgrade they are breaking that unwritten contract. It brings the worst part of PC gaming to console gaming, upgrades.

In their place I would not have released an upgrade to the PS4, but brought out the PS5 a year earlier in 2018. If I was still at SCE I would have said this to management, but it goes well beyond what my pay grade was.

I can understand why they want to go for an upgrade, the PS4 came out right at the end of a very long graphics architectural generation. Since then there have been major leaps in both architecture and silicon lithography allowing for much more power in the same price, die size and heat/power bracket as there was in 2013. I would say around a 2.5-3x gain in 3 years at a time when Moore's law has basically been broken (GPUs had been stagnant for about 2 years at the release of the PS4).

A 2018 PS5 could have brought 10tf on a chip in a $399/£349 console and only come out a year after the next Xbox. With the Pro they will have to wait until 2019 which will still be a 10tf console in a similar price bracket, but just a year later.

All in all it's stupid and dilutes their console brand for little to no gain.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

I'm not so sure Clinton's comments are far off "doing a Ratner" either. If you are a politician, your stock in trade is the ordinary voter.

Clinton lost the CiC debate heavily and is panicking. She is under a lot of stress as the pussycat she thought she was fighting seems to have grown teeth.
    She really didn't.
    Judging by the reaction from the Clinton camp since then, they clearly think they lost.
    NBC agree : their poll 63:37 in favour of Trump http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/commander-in-chief-forum

And remember what happened to Romney when he had a good and a bad debate.

This has been Clinton's worst week of the campaign until the next one.
    You missed out the word voodoo from that phrase.
    You mean NBC is an organisation heavily in favour of Trump and whose viewers are mainly Trump supporters?

Well find me one where Clinton is ahead.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    PlatoSaid said:

Anna Firth
    Just love this new sign at Geneva airport #Brexit @SuzanneEvans1 @EliotSmith @DanielJHannan https://t.co/KY0n3sbD6m

This has been on since June 25th.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited September 2016
    Scott Rogers
    Martyn Ware from the Human League has been suspended from the Labour Party.

Don't, don't we want him... https://t.co/VMAvQN2JL1

!

I see Broxtowe CLP claiming no idea why their Chair has been expelled. I think I can help them. Could be due to his association with AWL
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited September 2016
    weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

I'm not so sure Clinton's comments are far off "doing a Ratner" either. If you are a politician, your stock in trade is the ordinary voter.

Clinton lost the CiC debate heavily and is panicking. She is under a lot of stress as the pussycat she thought she was fighting seems to have grown teeth.
    She really didn't.
    Judging by the reaction from the Clinton camp since then, they clearly think they lost.
    NBC agree : their poll 63:37 in favour of Trump http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/commander-in-chief-forum

You mean NBC is an organisation heavily in favour of Trump and whose viewers are mainly Trump supporters?

It was a Twitter poll. If Twitter polls were true I'd be posting from an independent Scotland that had vote 95% in favour of independence.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Just to underline how badly things are going in Japan, Sony are selling three year paper with a 0.05% interest rate and they are barely at investment grade according to western ratings agencies.

What do you make of the PS4 Plus? Seems like a lot of very negative reaction and we know that their VR tech is miles behind Vive.
    I'm very unimpressed. The whole point of console gaming is to ensure a fixed specification for gamers and developers for between five and seven years. By bringing a mid-generation upgrade they are breaking that unwritten contract. It brings the worst part of PC gaming to console gaming, upgrades.

In their place I would not have released an upgrade to the PS4, but brought out the PS5 a year earlier in 2018. If I was still at SCE I would have said this to management, but it goes well beyond what my pay grade was.

I can understand why they want to go for an upgrade, the PS4 came out right at the end of a very long graphics architectural generation. Since then there have been major leaps in both architecture and silicon lithography allowing for much more power in the same price, die size and heat/power bracket as there was in 2013. I would say around a 2.5-3x gain in 3 years at a time when Moore's law has basically been broken (GPUs had been stagnant for about 2 years at the release of the PS4).

A 2018 PS5 could have brought 10tf on a chip in a $399/£349 console and only come out a year after the next Xbox. With the Pro they will have to wait until 2019 which will still be a 10tf console in a similar price bracket, but just a year later.

Thanks.

One suggestion I have heard in regards to a two "speed" PS4 is that is a possible start to a new approach to consoles in general, whereby they are modular and different bits upgradable..kinda of an idiots version of a PC, where one is able to pop out the graphics card and change it for a new one.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Thanks.

One suggestion I have heard in regards to a two "speed" PS4 is that is a possible start to a new approach to consoles in general, whereby they are modular and different bits upgradable..kinda of an idiots version of a PC, where one is able to pop out the graphics card and change it for a new one.
    I doubt that is the case. Really, they have jumped into the deep end of VR too early and needed a PS4 that could handle 1080p90 without sacrificing graphics too much. That's the basic issue here. The PS4 pro is just papering over the cracks of jumping into VR far too early.

I've seen the sales figures for the Vive and they aren't great. The market is waiting for Sony and probably would have waited until 2018 for a PS5.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

I have to say that the Clinton campaign is eerily similar to the BSE campaign. Her latest insult to Trump voters is reminiscent of Dave's "little Englander" comment. It's just going to make people rally around him.

That's a dangerous game for Clinton to play, with turnout expected at 50 something percent and only a few points between the candidates. Wouldn't take many to turn out to stop her in the key states.
    Insults are what the left do.

I just watched the Rob Lowe Roast this morning: Ann Coulter was one of the guests on it and the level of vitriol was incredible - not funny, not humor just insults. She took it well but it was deeply unpleasant viewing. (She tried valiantly in her turn, but completely bombed - although with an audience as hostile as that anyone would have found it difficult).

Even more extraordinary, one of the other guests (Jewel - who was apparently a singer once) compared a half-black guy to George from "Curious George". Yes, that's right - she actually compared a half-black guy to a monkey. And because he is a right on leftie, everyone laughed.

Extraordinary double standards. Just extraordinary.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

She really didn't.

It was a Twitter poll. If Twitter polls were true I'd be posting from an independent Scotland that had vote 95% in favour of independence.
    A Twitter poll would surely favour Clinton, given the demographics of Twitter.
  • Options
    Ben
    Jeremy Corbyn "too busy" for visit to Israel’s Holocaust museum.
    https://t.co/tgO21e5HY9 https://t.co/wEZO7KnFkm
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,161

There's an interesting question: what'll be the next massively disruptive consumer tech?

Extremely Big Data real-time and fully archived audiovisual surveillance of every street and road in the UK. Imagine Google Maps updated 24 times a second with sound, and every frame archived, so you can go back and forth thru time as well as space. It's not possible at the moment but if you expand Big Data some[1] magnitudes, and tie in the CCTV network, suddenly...yes it is. Your great-grandchildren in 2050 will be able to see your house in 2017, then see it age forward to their present. Basically we'll have invented virtual time travel.

For exploration of this theme in science fiction, see

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dead_Past
    * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Light_of_Other_Days
    * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_of_Other_Days

[1] I don't know how many... :)

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

She really didn't.

The Alt-Right love (((Twitter)))
  • Options

I don't really agree that British companies don't make enough effort to export - I think the problem lies with them not making enough effort to displace foreign imports in the domestic market. That would be easier, hopefully lead to market saturation, and THEN is the time to look for export markets. A rush to export too soon is dangerous and unnecessary.

My issue with 'fat and lazy' British business people is that they're entirely in it to make a fast buck, sometimes by selling their start-up to a foreign corporation at the earliest possible stage, sometimes by asset-stripping (see BHS), and sometimes just by paying themselves grotesque salaries. The idea that you would develop and nurture a business on UK soil over decades seems somehow an oddity these days.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/yourbusiness/9772950/Theyre-300-years-old-and-still-in-business.html
  • Options
    surbiton said:

PlatoSaid said:

Anna Firth
    Just love this new sign at Geneva airport #Brexit @SuzanneEvans1 @EliotSmith @DanielJHannan https://t.co/KY0n3sbD6m

This has been on since June 25th.
    PB has no institutional memory... :(
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

She really didn't.

Oh God, the alt-right isn't a real thing, it's a bunch of bored edgy teenagers on 4chan. I think you seriously need to get some perspective if you actually think they are a major political movement. It does explain your odd love of such a flawed candidate like Hillary if you think the alt-right is real. I've seen you defend her on indefensible charges time and again and held my tongue, but honestly this is just ridiculous.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

She really didn't.

Who are the 'alt-right' other than a name-tag that Clinton can tag the word 'racist' onto?

Screaming 'Racist' is now akin to crying 'Wolf' - no one takes it seriously anymore. the Democratic party is rapidly morphing into the American version of Momentum - true to their own beliefs and interacting solely in their own society they can neither understand, appreciate or tolerate the facts that their opinions only represent a minority of opinion.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    viewcode said:

There's an interesting question: what'll be the next massively disruptive consumer tech?

Extremely Big Data real-time and fully archived audiovisual surveillance of every street and road in the UK. Imagine Google Maps updated 24 times a second with sound, and every frame archived, so you can go back and forth thru time as well as space. It's not possible at the moment but if you expand Big Data some[1] magnitudes, and tie in the CCTV network, suddenly...yes it is. Your great-grandchildren in 2050 will be able to see your house in 2017, then see it age forward to their present. Basically we'll have invented virtual time travel.

For exploration of this theme in science fiction, see

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dead_Past
    * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Light_of_Other_Days
    * https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_of_Other_Days

[1] I don't know how many... :)

Where does the energy come for this level of data storage?

It is the same fallacy as the singularity - it assumes data storage is free. The fact is that to store all the universe's memories takes more byte than there are atoms. Simply put, it is a physical impossibility to store all memories.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

She really didn't.

Oh God, the alt-right isn't a real thing, it's a bunch of bored edgy teenagers on 4chan. I think you seriously need to get some perspective if you actually think they are a major political movement. It does explain your odd love of such a flawed candidate like Hillary if you think the alt-right is real. I've seen you defend her on indefensible charges time and again and held my tongue, but honestly this is just ridiculous.
    I'm not the one using a twitter poll to decide who won a debate.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/owen-smith-labour-leadership-jeremy-corbyn-pulled-wife-election-latest-a7235686.html

This remark on its own is fine, but put together with the numerous other remarks Owen's made (normal with wife and 3 kids, smashing Theresa May's heels etc), and something seems off. there's a narrative that he doesn't respect women, and he seems to be feeding into it rather than changing it. Which indicates that there is truth in it. He's been a big disappointment over this campaign. I would still prefer him to Corbyn only because he may actually provide some scrutiny on Brexit (I don't support a 2nd vote, but we need someone to hold the government to account as we brexit, and Corbyn won't).
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Anna Firth

Woohoo, can't wait for the interminable waits in the non-EU line.
    We are not in the non eu line. We are in the same line as EU and Swiss.
    Well, of course we are for now, we are EU members. Post Brexit, who knows?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,826
    PlatoSaid said:

Ben

That's fair enough though isn't it? He just turned down an invitation. It would be better to just say he declined of course rather than the clear lie. We all plead other engagements from time-to-time though.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

She really didn't.

I'm not the one using a twitter poll to decide who won a debate.
    Please show me where I did that, I just pointed out that the demographics of Twitter are to the left. You started spouting about the non-existent alt-right.
  • Options
    :smiley:

Momentum Trumpton
    The Mayor was #Kensplaining to local Jews why he won't be visiting the Trumpton Museum of the So-Called Holocaust. https://t.co/ESBKkAreoL
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    viewcode said:

Extremely Big Data real-time and fully archived audiovisual surveillance of every street and road in the UK. Imagine Google Maps updated 24 times a second with sound, and every frame archived, so you can go back and forth thru time as well as space.

Google are working on it.

https://terrabella.google.com/
  • Options
    Omnium said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben

That's fair enough though isn't it? He just turned down an invitation. It would be better to just say he declined of course rather than the clear lie. We all plead other engagements from time-to-time though.
    Given the atmosphere surrounding the Corbyn leadership on the issue of anti-semitism, this was absolutely the wrong invitation to turn down. Offering to send the General Secretary his supporters are trying to undermine/sack just reinforces the problem.

If he was genuinely too busy in November, he should have replied saying that November was no good but about a date in December/January/whenever.

Given that he can find time to make jam, he could have found time to make this visit.
  • Options
    scoopscoop Posts: 64
    Omnium said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben

I think he said he was washing his hair that day, whenever it was.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @weejonnie

'Screaming 'Racist' is now akin to crying 'Wolf' - no one takes it seriously anymore'.

It worked for a while during the New Labour period, when anyone who raised concerns about mass immigration levels was immediately slapped down as a racist,these days it's the code for I've lost the argument.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,303
    edited September 2016
    MaxPB said:

I doubt that is the case. Really, they have jumped into the deep end of VR too early and needed a PS4 that could handle 1080p90 without sacrificing graphics too much. That's the basic issue here. The PS4 pro is just papering over the cracks of jumping into VR far too early.

I've seen the sales figures for the Vive and they aren't great. The market is waiting for Sony and probably would have waited until 2018 for a PS5.

Having used a Vive and a Rift I know why the sales are shit....setting it up is a pain in the ass, you need a really good sized empty room, the "games" are a waste of time, etc etc etc.

It is like the Xbox Kinect all over. For academic research, the Vive is actually got some interesting applications, but for people in their small living rooms it doesn't work.

Talking of Kinect, I notice new Xbox now has no port to connect a Kinect to it....final confirmation that it is done, finished, gone the way of dodo.

The one advantage Sony has when it comes to VR, they know how to make games, but I am still skeptical it is going to work out. Has lots of similar problems to 3D tv's.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Please show me where I did that, I just pointed out that the demographics of Twitter are to the left. You started spouting about the non-existent alt-right.

And I'm saying it's pointless to take a Twitter poll as representative of anything at all because it's a sodding Twitter poll.

I'm sitting here looking at an all green Presidential book so I'm pretty fed up of people telling me I don't understand US politics. People telling themselves that any moment now Trump is going to pivot to the centre.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Where does the energy come for this level of data storage?.

An AA battery?

[un-glib answer] Sorry, I am aware that data storage burns more power than people think, but I'm not capturing the state of the universe throughout time, I'm capturing the views of every street in the UK, every second, for some years. Plus you can do data compression on each frame. Plus you only capture the changes of each frame, and since the moment-to-moment changes in each frame is only a small proportion of the frame, many views will not need updating often, which reduces the storage requirement drastically.

• Options
    Omnium said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben

His schedule is "ram packed" ;-)
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

She really didn't.

Mr DecrepitJohnL tried this line yesterday. It's laughable.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

I have to say that the Clinton campaign is eerily similar to the BSE campaign. Her latest insult to Trump voters is reminiscent of Dave's "little Englander" comment. It's just going to make people rally around him.

That's a dangerous game for Clinton to play, with turnout expected at 50 something percent and only a few points between the candidates. Wouldn't take many to turn out to stop her in the key states.

I just watched the Rob Lowe Roast this morning: Ann Coulter was one of the guests on it and the level of vitriol was incredible - not funny, not humor just insults. She took it well but it was deeply unpleasant viewing. (She tried valiantly in her turn, but completely bombed - although with an audience as hostile as that anyone would have found it difficult).

Even more extraordinary, one of the other guests (Jewel - who was apparently a singer once) compared a half-black guy to George from "Curious George". Yes, that's right - she actually compared a half-black guy to a monkey. And because he is a right on leftie, everyone laughed.

Rob Lowe's auto biog is really good
  • Options
    Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

She really didn't.

You do talk nonsense.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,915
    NHS scaremongering!!

Can't see how NHS can cope with 6% y on y demand increases (+ 1% pay rises) on 3.6% funding increase, dropping to 1.3% & 0.4% in next 2 yrs.

From a start position of -£2,5m deficit.

Tomorrows Observer https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/774702805697396736
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

weejonnie said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

weejonnie said:

She really didn't.

Mr DecrepitJohnL tried this line yesterday. It's laughable.
    No he didn't. He pointed out correctly that the email scandal, including Colin Powell's involvement, was an old story going nowhere. He even suggested how Trump could make his attacks more effective.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

Anna Firth

Woohoo, can't wait for the interminable waits in the non-EU line.
    We are not in the non eu line.
    Where's Nancy Mitford when you need her?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

glw said:

The daft thing was, Gerald Ratner's comments tarnished his own brand, Fox only damages himself. - However to be fair, on this occasion Fox may have a point.

Ratner was right, the products he sold were crap. Fox is right as well, British businesses could do a lot more to develop their export business.

In Ratner's case telling the truth was a disaster, but Fox might provoke a wider debate about why British businesses don't do as well as they might.
    He wasn't. I got married in 1988. My wedding ring came from Ratners - it's an eternity ring sort with lots of small diamonds. Never been off my finger since bar a couple of times and still perfect. The settings haven't bent, clicked clothes and all the stones are there/still sparkly.

The mistake Ratner made was to insult his customers re the average quality of what they sold. IIRC he was referring to cheap decanters or somesuch, not the jewellery.

IIRC it cost about £250 back then. It was bought on HP!
    He specifically referred to the jewlerry.
    I don't think that's true. I think he said "people ask me how I can sell a cut glass decanter and four glasses for twenty quid. And I say, because it's crap."
    What is amazing is that the sales of "non-desirable" types of stones via those crappy tv channels is incredibly big business and profitable.
    I disagree with you there. Buying jewellery from the TV makes a great deal of sense. It's actually the most sensible way to buy it. The jewellery store model necessarily adds a lot to the price.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

glw said:

The daft thing was, Gerald Ratner's comments tarnished his own brand, Fox only damages himself. - However to be fair, on this occasion Fox may have a point.

Ratner was right, the products he sold were crap. Fox is right as well, British businesses could do a lot more to develop their export business.

In Ratner's case telling the truth was a disaster, but Fox might provoke a wider debate about why British businesses don't do as well as they might.
    He wasn't. I got married in 1988. My wedding ring came from Ratners - it's an eternity ring sort with lots of small diamonds. Never been off my finger since bar a couple of times and still perfect. The settings haven't bent, clicked clothes and all the stones are there/still sparkly.

The mistake Ratner made was to insult his customers re the average quality of what they sold. IIRC he was referring to cheap decanters or somesuch, not the jewellery.

I don't think that's true. I think he said "people ask me how I can sell a cut glass decanter and four glasses for twenty quid. And I say, because it's crap."
    What is amazing is that the sales of "non-desirable" types of stones via those crappy tv channels is incredibly big business and profitable.
    I disagree with you there. Buying jewellery from the TV makes a great deal of sense. It's actually the most sensible way to buy it. The jewellery store model necessarily adds a lot to the price.
    It isn't the buying online / on tv...its the crappy stones angles that I was talking about. They have managed to create a massive market for cheap jewellery using minerals that nobody actually wanted before.
  • Options

NHS scaremongering!!

Can't see how NHS can cope with 6% y on y demand increases (+ 1% pay rises) on 3.6% funding increase, dropping to 1.3% & 0.4% in next 2 yrs.

Tomorrows Observer twitter.com/suttonnick/status/774702805697396736

The NHS is always "on the brink" of collapse.

It's its default position.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671
    edited September 2016

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

glw said:

It isn't the buying online / on tv...its the crappy stones angles that I was talking about. They have managed to create a massive market for cheap jewellery using minerals that nobody actually wanted before.
    Do you have an example? I'm not sure I understand which minerals you speak of.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,915

NHS scaremongering!!

No
  • Options

NHS scaremongering!!

Having watched the 1987 election night coverage this week, that was the last chance to save the NHS - and it is still here 20 years later, still providing healthcare
  • Options

NHS scaremongering!!

BUT THIS TIME ITS FOR REAL – I read it in the Guardian on Sunday….!
  • Options
    Bloke on the Left
    This was written about Corbyn a couple of years before he became leader. https://t.co/5FvZ1Sw765
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited September 2016
    @bigjohnowls

'NHS scaremongering!!

From a start position of -£2,5m deficit.'

Charges for missed GP & hospital appointments,end all translation & Interpreter services and the deficit is cut by half.

That's before the NHS stops offering freebies to anyone from anywhere that walks in, makes a serious effort at recovering charges for EU patients treated in UK hospitals and of course getting to grips with the many other areas of waste.

Patients less likely to miss NHS appointments if they are warned of cost
    www.telegraph.co.uk › News › Health › Health News
    13 Sep 2015 - The figure reflects the budget for an average outpatients appointment at Barts Health NHS trust, which ran the study, with staff and buildings costs unchanged regardless of whether patients turn up. Health officials say the NHS loses around £750m a year in outpatient appointments and £162m in GP appointments.
  • Options

NHS scaremongering!!

Having watched the 1987 election night coverage this week, that was the last chance to save the NHS - and it is still here 20 years later, still providing healthcare
    After a fashion.
  • Options

NHS scaremongering!!

No
    Well then it's a good job the Tories won their victory then given that the other parties promised less money to the NHS, right?
  • Options
    Charles said:

I don't really agree that British companies don't make enough effort to export - I think the problem lies with them not making enough effort to displace foreign imports in the domestic market. That would be easier, hopefully lead to market saturation, and THEN is the time to look for export markets. A rush to export too soon is dangerous and unnecessary.

My issue with 'fat and lazy' British business people is that they're entirely in it to make a fast buck, sometimes by selling their start-up to a foreign corporation at the earliest possible stage, sometimes by asset-stripping (see BHS), and sometimes just by paying themselves grotesque salaries. The idea that you would develop and nurture a business on UK soil over decades seems somehow an oddity these days.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/yourbusiness/9772950/Theyre-300-years-old-and-still-in-business.html
    Hats off, for sure. Exception that proves the rule?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited September 2016

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

PlatoSaid said:

glw said:

Do you have an example? I'm not sure I understand which minerals you speak of.
    chocolate diamonds

PS Black pearls used to be unmarketable until someone had the brainwave of charging more for them than perfect white pearls.
  • Options

NHS scaremongering!!

After a fashion.
    With ever-increasing demands in terms of numbers of patients and rising drug/treatment costs, the NHS is treating record numbers with an incredibly high level of patient satisfaction.

No health care system will ever be perfect - but the NHS has much to celebrate
  • Options
    Another example of Crap = Good is McDonald's. Everyone knows it's junk food with a capital J, but have you seen the food court at the new Westfield Mall in Stratford? McDonald's has the longest queues!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    edited September 2016
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Watched that the other day, it seems that gratuitous insults are par for the course on the roasts - Ann Coulter (basically an American Katie Hopkins, for those who don't know her) didn't help herself by getting up and plugging her book rather than tell jokes!

Jimmy Carr calling Payton Manning "One of the top three quarterbacks in his family" was rather amusing, and showed he'd done his research. Pete Davidson also took some horrible 'jokes' about his father's death on 9/11 - I guess they'd agreed with him in advance but the audience really didn't know whether to laugh.

Didn't realise the monkey reference in the Jewel joke, I understand that they give the non-comic guests a writer from CC or SNL to help with their script.
  • Options
    Sahil Kapur
    NEW: Dismayed 'Values' Voters, Fearful of Clinton, Learn to Live With Trump https://t.co/HwYk7GY3rH My report from #VVS16.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

chocolate diamonds

PS Black pearls used to be unmarketable until someone had the brainwave of charging more for them than perfect white pearls.

'Chocolate', 'Cafe', 'fancy colour' diamonds I think there's an element of finding a market for, but it's the big jewellery houses that have lead the way - Shopping telly are just doing it for less. Provided they have the clarity, they can be very desirable. Diamonds full stop are the biggest 'racket' - AFAIK it's an amply available mineral that commands a huge premium by limiting supply.

Black pearls I don't agree with. South sea pearls are always that colour. Japanese pearls are white.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Ben

Too busy my arse. If he was determined to get rid of the antisemitism, he'd make a point of clearing his diary to go and visit.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben

Too busy my arse. If he was determined to get rid of the antisemitism, he'd make a point of clearing his diary to go and visit.
    Busy like a Virgin train to Newcastle....
  • Options
    Nigel Farage: Donald Trump calls himself ‘Mr. Brexit.’ Here’s why he’s right.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/09/06/nigel-farage-donald-trump-calls-himself-mr-brexit-heres-why-hes-right/

I wonder if the 'special relationship' between Trump and Farage would continue after his election.
  • Options

NHS scaremongering!!

After a fashion.
    With ever-increasing demands in terms of numbers of patients and rising drug/treatment costs, the NHS is treating record numbers with an incredibly high level of patient satisfaction.

Well I don't agree.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Scott Rogers
    Martyn Ware from the Human League has been suspended from the Labour Party.

Don't, don't we want him... https://t.co/VMAvQN2JL1

!

I see Broxtowe CLP claiming no idea why their Chair has been expelled. I think I can help them. Could be due to his association with AWL

Being a bit pedantic, Martyn Ware had left the Human League about a year before Don't You Want Me was released. He was forming Heaven 17 which had a big hit with Temptation a bit later on.
  • Options
    And twitter bites Hillary in karma mode

Hi @HillaryClinton, do you “recall” posting this tweet? It was only 4 days ago… #BasketOfDeplorables https://t.co/fdImj5a1xX
  • Options

NHS scaremongering!!

You should go and see them about your missing decade.
  • Options

NHS scaremongering!!

After a fashion.

Well I don't agree.
    Why? What is your evidence?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,222
    edited September 2016

Nigel Farage: Donald Trump calls himself ‘Mr. Brexit.’ Here’s why he’s right.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/09/06/nigel-farage-donald-trump-calls-himself-mr-brexit-heres-why-hes-right/

I wonder if the 'special relationship' between Trump and Farage would continue after his election.

Trump would probably make him his Special Envoy to Brussels!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Watched that the other day, it seems that gratuitous insults are par for the course on the roasts - Ann Coulter (basically an American Katie Hopkins, for those who don't know her) didn't help herself by getting up and plugging her book rather than tell jokes!

Jimmy Carr calling Payton Manning "One of the top three quarterbacks in his family" was rather amusing, and showed he'd done his research. Pete Davidson also took some horrible 'jokes' about his father's death on 9/11 - I guess they'd agreed with him in advance but the audience really didn't know whether to laugh.

Didn't realise the monkey reference in the Jewel joke, I understand that they give the non-comic guests a writer from CC or SNL to help with their script.
    Yes - very offensive jokes are par for the course: that's the idea. (The context on Pete Davidson is that he refers to 9/11 in his stand up routine). But Coulter was called "ugly", "scary", "evil" - Jewel's "joke" was "Ann Coulter: I hate you" and "a C**t" The funnier stuff was saying she sleeps upside down in a cupboard wrapped in the skins of 101 Dalmations (that sort of comment is par for the course)

The monkey reference was to "Adventures with the man in the big yellow hat". The kid's cartoon "the Adventures of Curious George" has two main characters...a monkey and a man who is only known as "the man in the big yellow hat"
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Jim's painter and decorators were on to a good thing. Freebie holidays...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    I suppose the subtitle clarifies that this was not some sexual metaphor.
  • Options

NHS scaremongering!!

After a fashion.

Well I don't agree.
    Why? What is your evidence?
    Three examples that spring to mind are awful cancer survival rates, neglect cases like Staffordshire, and hospital acquired infections.

Overall though I'd say the NHS is only part of the problem when it comes to health in the UK - it is after all a misnomer to call it the National Health Service. It's the National Sickness Service, designed to patch people up when their lifestyle has destroyed their health. Something that it could do far better, but still.
  • Options
    What a surprise, they'll be popular with parents - and Conservative councillors.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

And twitter bites Hillary in karma mode

Hi @HillaryClinton, do you “recall” posting this tweet? It was only 4 days ago… #BasketOfDeplorables https://t.co/fdImj5a1xX

Well, in fairness, I'm sure she doesn't recall posting the tweet because she presumably has an entire team to do that for her - though they really should have also been speaking to her speech writing team.
  • Options
    Oh my

Sunday Mirror front page:
    Vaz offered to fly escorts around the world
    #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers https://t.co/ZZ2lR3mdbe
  • Options

Daily Mirror✔@DailyMirror

Tomorrow's front page: Vaz offered to fly escorts around the world #tomorrowspaperstoday ttps://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/774721575379673089

Everyone loves a Sugar daddy.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSaid said:

Ben

Maybe he's waiting for the day when both he and Ken Livingstone don't have a diary clash....
  • Options
    I have a feeling the Mirror are drip drip drip Jim's story.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Yes - very offensive jokes are par for the course: that's the idea. (The context on Pete Davidson is that he refers to 9/11 in his stand up routine). But Coulter was called "ugly", "scary", "evil" - Jewel's "joke" was "Ann Coulter: I hate you" and "a C**t" The funnier stuff was saying she sleeps upside down in a cupboard wrapped in the skins of 101 Dalmations (that sort of comment is par for the course)

The monkey reference was to "Adventures with the man in the big yellow hat". The kid's cartoon "the Adventures of Curious George" has two main characters...a monkey and a man who is only known as "the man in the big yellow hat"

Coulter makes a living from being a right wing hate figure. She'd be highly disappointed if she didn't evoke that response. It's a mutually beneficial punch and judy show for both Coulter and those who are outraged by her. The only party that doesn't benefit is the right-wing in general, because they're disgraced by her wilder statements, especially when they're silly enough to get their dander up and rally behind her. Same goes for Hopkins.
  • Options

NHS scaremongering!!

No
    I'm afraid so. I no longer react to any claims about how bad a policy will be for the NHS, I no longer react to people saying it needs more money, because it is apparently always in crisis, it is never getting enough money, any change will always be terrible.

It could well be fantastic or it could really be on the verge of collapse this time, I have no bloody clue, because it is such a political football surrounded by hyperbolic claim and counterclaim, that I just don't care about the NHS anymore. I know I should, I know the attitude will likely come back to bite me one day, but at a certain point apathy becomes inevitable.
  • Options
    Right time for Kell Brock....he is going to have to fight out of his skin.
  • Options

NHS scaremongering!!

Tomorrows Observer https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/774702805697396736

If misogyny is going on the list of 'hate crimes' - certain sections of the population might as well leave the UK.

(Or is it only misogyny by white Christians?)
  • Options
    I think we'll all sleep a little easier tonight.

'European bankers will be exempt from migration curbs after Brexit, Philip Hammond reveals'

http://tinyurl.com/hrjgz9y
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pff, that's nothing.

No doubt it'd need verifying, but I recall reading about a japanese company which supposedly ran for 1400 years before being bought up. I just love the idea a company was in place around the time the anglo-saxon heptarchy was forming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kongō_Gumi
  • Options

Unless he HAS actually been flying them around the world, on the taxpayer, I'm not sure this adds much.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    kle4 said:

NHS scaremongering!!

No
    I'm afraid so. I no longer react to any claims about how bad a policy will be for the NHS, I no longer react to people saying it needs more money, because it is apparently always in crisis, it is never getting enough money, any change will always be terrible.

It could well be fantastic or it could really be on the verge of collapse this time, I have no bloody clue, because it is such a political football surrounded by hyperbolic claim and counterclaim, that I just don't care about the NHS anymore. I know I should, I know the attitude will likely come back to bite me one day, but at a certain point apathy becomes inevitable.
    Hear hear. I have had enough of hearing about NHS crisis after crisis. It has been in crisis since I was old enough to read a newspaper. Labour has been accusing the Tories of wanting to shut it down or privatise it for 41 years.

The Tory base is the elderly. The elderly love the NHS, God knows why, but they do. It's just a simple political fact. The Tories will do what their base wants.

It's my top tip to Labour: give up, no one believes you on the NHS any longer. You cried Wolf for four decades.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

NHS scaremongering!!

No
    See the problem for Labour is they have cried wolf on the NHS too many times nobody believes them any more when they scream "24 hours to save the NHS" 48 hours to save the NHS 72 hours to save the NHS" etc.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    The painters aren't happy with Jim...

Keith Vaz branded a 'liar' by male prostitutes as they reveal shamed MP offered to fly them around world

"Horrible need someone younger"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/keith-vaz-branded-liar-male-8810677

• Options
    Rather rude, she looks quite slim to me.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I suppose the subtitle clarifies that this was not some sexual metaphor.
    Shouldn't he have flown them to Uganda?
  • Options

Unless he HAS actually been flying them around the world, on the taxpayer, I'm not sure this adds much.
    True, I imagine it's more just to keep it in the papers and also demonstrate the extent of his lack of judgement in what he was willing or claimed to be willing to do, even if he did not do it.
  • Options

Someone is really peed at him. That the Mirror is ladling it on is more than an opportunistic scoop.
  • Options
    The announcer on the Boxing has just screamed..."Lets get this party started"....has quite a different meaning these days...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,033
    Michael Buffer:

Let's get this party started xD
  • Options
    I missed this from Hug A Hitler from a couple of days ago....

Ken Livingstone accuses journalists of meeting prostitutes at Labour Party conference as he defends Keith Vaz

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ken-livingstone-accuses-journalists-meeting-8781903
  • Options

The painters aren't happy with Jim...

Keith Vaz branded a 'liar' by male prostitutes as they reveal shamed MP offered to fly them around world

"Horrible need someone younger"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/keith-vaz-branded-liar-male-8810677

The men also brand shamed MP Mr Vaz an "actor" as they tell how used code when tenting about sex - referring to it as "painting"

The Mirror also seems to use code in their content. Either that or they don't have a sub-editor.
  • Options

The announcer on the Boxing has just screamed..."Lets get this party started"....has quite a different meaning these days...

He's obviously been reading the Mirror.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Michael Buffer:

Let's get this party started xD

You need a least a gang of four to get a party started.
This discussion has been closed.