Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meet Liam Fox, the 21st century Gerald Ratner

124»

Comments

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,130
    edited September 2016
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

I have to say that the Clinton campaign is eerily similar to the BSE campaign. Her latest insult to Trump voters is reminiscent of Dave's "little Englander" comment. It's just going to make people rally around him.

That's a dangerous game for Clinton to play, with turnout expected at 50 something percent and only a few points between the candidates. Wouldn't take many to turn out to stop her in the key states.
    Extraordinary double standards. Just extraordinary.
    Watched that the other day, it seems that gratuitous insults are par for the course on the roasts - Ann Coulter (basically an American Katie Hopkins, for those who don't know her) didn't help herself by getting up and plugging her book rather than tell jokes!

Jimmy Carr calling Payton Manning "One of the top three quarterbacks in his family" was rather amusing, and showed he'd done his research. Pete Davidson also took some horrible 'jokes' about his father's death on 9/11 - I guess they'd agreed with him in advance but the audience really didn't know whether to laugh.

Didn't realise the monkey reference in the Jewel joke, I understand that they give the non-comic guests a writer from CC or SNL to help with their script.
    Yes - very offensive jokes are par for the course: that's the idea. (The context on Pete Davidson is that he refers to 9/11 in his stand up routine). But Coulter was called "ugly", "scary", "evil" - Jewel's "joke" was "Ann Coulter: I hate you" and "a C**t" The funnier stuff was saying she sleeps upside down in a cupboard wrapped in the skins of 101 Dalmations (that sort of comment is par for the course)

The monkey reference was to "Adventures with the man in the big yellow hat". The kid's cartoon "the Adventures of Curious George" has two main characters...a monkey and a man who is only known as "the man in the big yellow hat"
    The comments at Coulter were insults rather than jokes, but the 'liberal' audience was expected to laugh in a way that they wouldn't if their target wasn't of the 'far right'. The same comments aimed at anyone else would have been seen to be out of order (sexist, racist, etc).

The Davidson comments went down well with those on the dais, but to the audience they felt like sick in-jokes that crossed the line, after the first couple there were no laughs for them.

The 'level' of jokes on the whole show was like Frankie Boyle at his worst, but the participants all know they'll be in the firing line.

Thanks for the background on the monkey reference, might watch it again next week.
  • Well that was a superb Last night of the Proms. I feel elated. If watching it on TV feels like that what must the real thing be like ?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,150
    edited September 2016
    LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE*....

*Am I allowed to post that? I am not paying the royalty...
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    Fighting pride of SHEFFIELD.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Yes - very offensive jokes are par for the course: that's the idea. (The context on Pete Davidson is that he refers to 9/11 in his stand up routine). But Coulter was called "ugly", "scary", "evil" - Jewel's "joke" was "Ann Coulter: I hate you" and "a C**t" The funnier stuff was saying she sleeps upside down in a cupboard wrapped in the skins of 101 Dalmations (that sort of comment is par for the course)

The monkey reference was to "Adventures with the man in the big yellow hat". The kid's cartoon "the Adventures of Curious George" has two main characters...a monkey and a man who is only known as "the man in the big yellow hat"

Coulter makes a living from being a right wing hate figure. She'd be highly disappointed if she didn't evoke that response. It's a mutually beneficial punch and judy show for both Coulter and those who are outraged by her. The only party that doesn't benefit is the right-wing in general, because they're disgraced by her wilder statements, especially when they're silly enough to get their dander up and rally behind her. Same goes for Hopkins.
    It's the hypocrisy that irritates me.

If she had made a half-black man / monkey joke she would (rightly) have been ripped to pieces. But no one cares if made by a leftie
  • LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE*....

*Am I allowed to post that? I am not paying the royalty...

Get ready.
    Get steady.
    And rumble (everybody rumble).
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

I don't really agree that British companies don't make enough effort to export - I think the problem lies with them not making enough effort to displace foreign imports in the domestic market. That would be easier, hopefully lead to market saturation, and THEN is the time to look for export markets. A rush to export too soon is dangerous and unnecessary.

My issue with 'fat and lazy' British business people is that they're entirely in it to make a fast buck, sometimes by selling their start-up to a foreign corporation at the earliest possible stage, sometimes by asset-stripping (see BHS), and sometimes just by paying themselves grotesque salaries. The idea that you would develop and nurture a business on UK soil over decades seems somehow an oddity these days.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/yourbusiness/9772950/Theyre-300-years-old-and-still-in-business.html
    Pff, that's nothing.

No doubt it'd need verifying, but I recall reading about a japanese company which supposedly ran for 1400 years before being bought up. I just love the idea a company was in place around the time the anglo-saxon heptarchy was forming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kongō_Gumi
    Has it been bought?

There was a Japanese company from the 7th century that has been passed down father to son. Started out making temples; now builds skyscrapers
    Oh crap, my 'boxing' live stream turns out to be from the Paralympics!
  • The NHS isn't on the " brink of collapse ". It's just going to have to do more rationing. If a service can't ration by capping individual usage or via a price mechanism then it rations by getting slightly but steadily sh*ter.
  • This ain't going the distance.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

I don't really agree that British companies don't make enough effort to export - I think the problem lies with them not making enough effort to displace foreign imports in the domestic market. That would be easier, hopefully lead to market saturation, and THEN is the time to look for export markets. A rush to export too soon is dangerous and unnecessary.

My issue with 'fat and lazy' British business people is that they're entirely in it to make a fast buck, sometimes by selling their start-up to a foreign corporation at the earliest possible stage, sometimes by asset-stripping (see BHS), and sometimes just by paying themselves grotesque salaries. The idea that you would develop and nurture a business on UK soil over decades seems somehow an oddity these days.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/yourbusiness/9772950/Theyre-300-years-old-and-still-in-business.html
    Pff, that's nothing.

No doubt it'd need verifying, but I recall reading about a japanese company which supposedly ran for 1400 years before being bought up. I just love the idea a company was in place around the time the anglo-saxon heptarchy was forming.

Has it been bought?

There was a Japanese company from the 7th century that has been passed down father to son. Started out making temples; now builds skyscrapers
    Well, wikipedia says its a subsidiary of another company now, but who knows how reliable it is. I hope so, because that's awesome.

Night all.
    We're in for a classic

This ain't going the distance.

Hard to judge first round. V close - maybe just GGG but good work from Brook at the end.
    edited September 2016
    Pulpstar said:

We're in for a classic

Fingers crossed...

Am also looking forward to Stipe Miocic vs. Alistair Overeem later on.
    Golovkin is going to make easy work of Brook, one weight too far up for the Briton.
    r1 GGG r2 Brook
    Sandpit said:

Golovkin is going to make easy work of Brook, one weight too far up for the Briton.

Are you watching ? Brook well in this
    edited September 2016
    Sandpit said:

You ain't watching it are you.....Brook has just battered him in R2.

Although, GGG is f##king made of granite.
    edited September 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Are you watching ? Brook well in this
    End of R2 now, Brook well back in it after slow start.
    Think I'm a couple of mins behind you, said G was doing well just before Brook woke up.
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

The comments at Coulter were insults rather than jokes, but the 'liberal' audience was expected to laugh in a way that they wouldn't if their target wasn't of the 'far right'. The same comments aimed at anyone else would have been seen to be out of order (sexist, racist, etc).

The Davidson comments went down well with those on the dais, but to the audience they felt like sick in-jokes that crossed the line, after the first couple there were no laughs for them.

The 'level' of jokes on the whole show was like Frankie Boyle at his worst, but the participants all know they'll be in the firing line.

Thanks for the background on the monkey reference, might watch it again next week.
    I spent my time thinking up what she should have said.

Quite liked "Don't know why a Republican was invited...a bit like Daniel and the Lion's Den. But then I realised I didn't need to worry... after all Lyon's Den was cancelled"

As for Jewel...call her out on her racism...

"You know, a pretty body and nice hair will all you to get away with many things, even racism... but your singing... now that's unforgiveable"
    r3 GGG Brook still well in it tho
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Pff, that's nothing.

Has it been bought?

Well, wikipedia says its a subsidiary of another company now, but who knows how reliable it is. I hope so, because that's awesome.

Night all.
    To be honest, I haven't checked for more than a decade. I read a book by some Stanford guy about 15 years ago, so things may have changed recently.
    Khan would have been knocked out by either of them by now tbh
  • Something is wrong with Brook's eye, hopefully it doesn't seriously affect the fight.
  • Pulpstar said:

Khan would have been knocked out by either of them by now tbh

Khan isn't in the same league as these guys.
    This has the makings of a classic fight. Great from Brook in 2 and 3.
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

I spent my time thinking up what she should have said.

Quite liked "Don't know why a Republican was invited...a bit like Daniel and the Lion's Den. But then I realised I didn't need to worry... after all Lyon's Den was cancelled"

As for Jewel...call her out on her racism...

"You know, a pretty body and nice hair will all you to get away with many things, even racism... but your singing... now that's unforgiveable"
    Ha, you should have volunteered to be her writer!
    edited September 2016
    You get the feeling GGG could be hit by a lorry and he would just shake his head for a second and get up.
    2-2 I reckon
    edited September 2016
    Eddie Hern be already sorting the rematch ;-)

You get the feeling GGG could be hit by a lorry and he would just shake his head for a second and get up.

Yep. He's only gone the distance something like three times in 35 fights, unbeaten. :o
    Battering in the fifth.

But a great fight whilst it lasted !
    Ouch!
    edited September 2016
    His eye is buggered clearly. They were throwing the towel even before he starting taking the punishment.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Holidaymakers were forced to endure a terrifying two-hour flight alongside a migrant who repeatedly screamed ‘Allahu Akbar’ and ‘death is coming’ – as it emerged the Home Office is using budget airlines to deport illegal immigrants.
    Children were reduced to tears and travellers feared a terror attack until it became clear that the handcuffed man was being guarded by Home Office officials.
    But there was no official explanation from the captain or crew as he kicked, thrashed about and threatened passengers and crew in an expletive-strewn tirade."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3783356/Terror-EasyJet-flight-migrant-deported-Venice-screams-Allahu-Akbar-29-times-death-coming-17-times-die-nine-times-shocking-two-hour-frenzy.html
    edited September 2016
    Been a while since I've seen a corner throw in the towel, usually the ref steps in to save a fighter.

Great effort from Brook, one weight too far though.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,504
    weejonnie said:

NHS scaremongering!!

Can't see how NHS can cope with 6% y on y demand increases (+ 1% pay rises) on 3.6% funding increase, dropping to 1.3% & 0.4% in next 2 yrs.

From a start position of -£2,5m deficit.

Tomorrows Observer https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/774702805697396736

If misogyny is going on the list of 'hate crimes' - certain sections of the population might as well leave the UK.

(Or is it only misogyny by white Christians?)
    The extra £350m a day can't come soon enough...
    "British laws and traditions such as the celebration of Christmas are under threat and must be vigorously upheld to stop ethnic segregation dividing society, according to major government review.
    Waves of immigration have rapidly changed the character of some state schools and left residents in parts of Britain feeling unsettled, the landmark report will say.
    These issues must be tackled head on, rather than swept under the carpet by politically correct council officials who fear being labelled “racist” if they assert British values or raise concerns, it will say.
    The findings emerged as part of a wide-ranging, year-long government study by Dame Louise Casey, the government’s integration tsar."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/10/traditions-such-as-christmas-celebrations-will-die-out-unless-pe/
  • AndyJS said:

"Holidaymakers were forced to endure a terrifying two-hour flight alongside a migrant who repeatedly screamed ‘Allahu Akbar’ and ‘death is coming’ – as it emerged the Home Office is using budget airlines to deport illegal immigrants.
    Children were reduced to tears and travellers feared a terror attack until it became clear that the handcuffed man was being guarded by Home Office officials.
    But there was no official explanation from the captain or crew as he kicked, thrashed about and threatened passengers and crew in an expletive-strewn tirade."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3783356/Terror-EasyJet-flight-migrant-deported-Venice-screams-Allahu-Akbar-29-times-death-coming-17-times-die-nine-times-shocking-two-hour-frenzy.html

It's surely what the luggage hold was invented for.
  • Sandpit said:

Been a while since I've seen a corner throw in the towel, usually the ref steps in to save a fighter.

I am pretty sure his corner think his eye is badly injured. Although he was taking a lot of punishment he was still defending himself.
  • PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    edited September 2016
    Crikey

New study reveals that 77% of British voters now see themselves as centrist or right of centre – and that only 20% believe Jeremy Corbyn shares their position

By contrast, Theresa May is seen as on, or close to, the centre ground by 43% of voters, and is described as rightwing by only 28%

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/10/britains-political-tribes-hinder-labour-chances-of-winning-coalition?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • PlatoSaid said:

Crikey

New study reveals that 77% of British voters now see themselves as centrist or right of centre – and that only 20% believe Jeremy Corbyn shares their position

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/10/britains-political-tribes-hinder-labour-chances-of-winning-coalition?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

We are all Tories now....
    Quite

Gov Pence: "They are not a basket of anything. They are Americans & they deserve your respect." #BasketofDeplorables https://t.co/6SBfEIDHAP
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,352
    PlatoSaid said:

Crikey

By contrast, Theresa May is seen as on, or close to, the centre ground by 43% of voters, and is described as rightwing by only 28%

That not what it said. 77 percent includes those left of centre as well.

Sandpit said:

I am pretty sure his corner think his eye is badly injured. Although he was taking a lot of punishment he was still defending himself.
    Great interview from GGG, full of praise for his opponent.
  • " Brexit Street. " http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37306646 Hmm. Where did the BBC get that idea from I wonder ?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,972

Having watched the 1987 election night coverage this week, that was the last chance to save the NHS - and it is still here 20 years later, still providing healthcare

Yes, back in 1987 if you called a GP out in the middle of the night, he took ooh, nearly a hour to arrive. Shocking, it was.
    edited September 2016
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Suspected broken eye socket, says he saw 5 GGG...1 of him is enough to give you nightmares, let alone 5 :-)

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Suspected broken eye socket, says he saw 5 GGG...1 of him is enough to give you nightmares, let alone 5 :-)
    I had it 2-2 (GGG 1,3; KB 2,4) but that 5th round was only heading one way.
  • Hoping Miocic vs. Overeem in a few hours is as good as that.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207
    AndyJS said:

"British laws and traditions such as the celebration of Christmas are under threat and must be vigorously upheld to stop ethnic segregation dividing society, according to major government review.
    Waves of immigration have rapidly changed the character of some state schools and left residents in parts of Britain feeling unsettled, the landmark report will say.
    These issues must be tackled head on, rather than swept under the carpet by politically correct council officials who fear being labelled “racist” if they assert British values or raise concerns, it will say.
    The findings emerged as part of a wide-ranging, year-long government study by Dame Louise Casey, the government’s integration tsar."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/10/traditions-such-as-christmas-celebrations-will-die-out-unless-pe/

A friend of my wife worked in a play group in Medway towns. One year a while back a muslim lady said the nativity display offended her and could it be taken down.

The management regretfully declined and said she was free to take her child elsewhere if it was that much of an issue.

Bravo to them ... and the lady did not withdraw her child.

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Yeah, he wasn't going to quit but would probably have taken another blow to the injured eye if he'd continued. Good call from the trainer to throw the towel.
  • Floater said:

AndyJS said:

A friend of my wife worked in a play group in Medway towns. One year a while back a muslim lady said the nativity display offended her and could it be taken down.

The management regretfully declined and said she was free to take her child elsewhere if it was that much of an issue.

Bravo to them ... and the lady did not withdraw her child.

The Nativity is in the Qu'ran.
    edited September 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Crikey

The next election is going to be the most boring ever if it's May vs Corbyn. Well, perhaps boring isn't the right word...
  • AndyJS said:

Mass immigration has been a huge boost for Britain's churches. London is the most religious part of the UK.
    edited September 2016
    Time for a proper Constitutional Convention?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/10/shrinking-the-house-of-lords-is-the-only-way-to-rescue-it-from-c/

The Lords used to be distinguished by the civility and reasonableness of its proceedings. That is no longer inevitably true: the worst habits of the Commons have been imported there, and despite 200 cross-benchers and non-affiliates the traditional independence and disinterest even of many with a party allegiance is disappearing. If the Lords becomes solely about party politics and not about shaping laws in the best possible way for the country, it becomes utterly pointless.
    Most prime ministers have been responsible and restrained with their use of patronage: things went out of control in the past 20 years. Mrs May lacks the spivvery and gift for downright impropriety and shamelessness that disfigured some of her recent predecessors. As such she might be relied upon to treat the Lords more seriously, and recognise the vital job it must do in governing Britain. It does not exist simply as a means to reward toadies.
    Jim Waterson
    This oral history of what it was like to be on Air Force One when 9/11 happened is as good as everyone is saying. https://t.co/fi0F4toSRS
  • AndyJS said:

Just as well we're leaving the white, Christian EU then so we can increase immigration from Commonwealth countries like Bangladesh then.
  • AndyJS said:

Just as well we're leaving the white, Christian EU then so we can increase immigration from Commonwealth countries like Bangladesh then.
    RACIST REMAINER!
    PlatoSaid said:

Jim Waterson
    This oral history of what it was like to be on Air Force One when 9/11 happened is as good as everyone is saying. https://t.co/fi0F4toSRS

That's a truly fantastic source.

AndyJS said:

I think we ought to have taken in a lot more immigrants from Vietnam over the last few decades. I was in Sydney a few weeks ago where they comprise a significant percentage of the population and they seemed to have made a very positive contribution to the city.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,460
    Jonathan said:

PlatoSaid said:

Crikey

That not what it said. 77 percent includes those left of centre as well.
    Yes, it's a good example of an article where they've clearly decided on the theme before they work with the statistics to prove it. One could equally well use exactly the same data to say that 70% of voters are centre or left and only 17% think that May shares that position.

Statistically, what's dodgy here is to ask a question with a middle ground option (which many people like to adopt) and then assign it together with "left" or "right" to prove that the opposite are a pathetic minority.
  • I cannot believe the PB league standings nor how TSE had capoue as captain today... early days at least...
  • One for Plato - Larry King interviews Trump for RT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_5MtZ0Wv70
  • Very carefully written....

John Bercow is accused of a 'cover up' after a Tory MP called for Keith Vaz's suspension ONE YEAR before rent boy claims surfaced

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3783581/John-Bercow-accused-cover-Tory-MP-called-Keith-Vaz-s-suspension-amid-concerns-private-life-ONE-YEAR-rent-boy-claims-surfaced.html

edited September 2016

RACIST REMAINER!
    Stop shouting Sunil, you'll wake the children

You misunderstand. The intention of leaving the EU was to ensure that all could access the UK via a fair points-based immigration policy that didn't take account of wealth or country of origin. Unless you were Irish. Or Indian. Or from Australia. Or from New Zealand. Or from countries who won the X-Factor. Or a banker (apparently this is genuine: see Theuniondivvie below). That would make it lovely and fair and everybody would be happy. Why would anybody possibly object?
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

I think we ought to have taken in a lot more immigrants from Vietnam over the last few decades. I was in Sydney a few weeks ago where they comprise a significant percentage of the population and they seemed to have made a very positive contribution to the city.
    Ditto Hong-Kong
  • Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited September 2016
    SkyNews

Hillary Clinton has claimed that half the supporters of her presidential rival Donald Trump belong in a "basket of deplorables" of racists, homophobes, sexists, xenophobes, and Islamophobes.

Has anyone seen Hillary and Tyson together in the same room?
  • Moses_ said:

SkyNews

Hillary Clinton has claimed that half the supporters of her presidential rival Donald Trump belong in a "basket of deplorables" of racists, homophobes, sexists, xenophobes, and Islamophobes.

Has anyone seen Hillary and Tyson together in the same room?

TBF this claim is fully justified by the available polling data. Look at things like the proportion who say Obama isn't American: If anything half is an underestimate.
    edited September 2016
    Labour has suspended a prominent (Jewish) donor over an article he wrote in which Jeremy Corbyn's leadership bid team were likened to Nazi stormtroopers.

Michael Foster wrote that Mr Corbyn and his team had "no respect for others and worse, no respect for the rule of law".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37329153

Top trolling.
  • nunununu Posts: 6,024

Top trolling.

He's wrong again, she's only writing off about a quarter of the country.......
    Nearly half of Trump's supporters described African Americans as more "violent" than whites. The same proportion described African Americans as more "criminal" than whites, while 40 percent described them as more "lazy" than whites.

In smaller, but still significant, numbers, Clinton backers also viewed blacks more critically than whites with regard to certain personality traits. Nearly one-third of Clinton supporters described blacks as more "violent" and "criminal" than whites, and one-quarter described them as more "lazy" than whites.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0ZE2SW
    edited September 2016
    Hillary Clinton's "basket of deplorables" comments have drawn immediate comparisons to Mitt Romney's 2012 line about 47% of Americans on government dole supporting Barack Obama and Mr Obama's 2008 characterisation of downtrodden Pennsylvanians as clinging to guns and religion.

Unlike those noted gaffes, however, it is not clear how Mrs Clinton's public remarks will directly damage her.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37330420

BBC impartial as ever...nothing Clinton can say will damage her...because TRUMP TRUMP RACIST MCTRUMP....

They obviously haven't watched John Harris piece on why even unionized solidly democrat voting blue collar workers voted for Trump in the some primaries. It is again that lack of understanding why people might have wanted to vote Brexit, despite Farage, Gove et al.
    edited September 2016
    nunu said:

Nearly half of Trump's supporters described African Americans as more "violent" than whites. The same proportion described African Americans as more "criminal" than whites, while 40 percent described them as more "lazy" than whites.

In smaller, but still significant, numbers, Clinton backers also viewed blacks more critically than whites with regard to certain personality traits. Nearly one-third of Clinton supporters described blacks as more "violent" and "criminal" than whites, and one-quarter described them as more "lazy" than whites.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0ZE2SW

What is an impossible conversation in the US (and one I have no idea the answer to) is why (and what to do) in regards to African Americans lag in pretty much every measurable stat from education to jobs etc etc etc and generation after generation there is little to no change in this situation.

When you then make the comparison non-white immigrant groups to the US, who show rapid advances in many of these metrics even after first generation of arrival.

Things like positive discrimination applications for African Americans to top colleges show little merit. Malcolm Gladwell, who used to be pro this sort of thing, has crunched the numbers and says it does nothing.

Hillary Clinton's "basket of deplorables" comments have drawn immediate comparisons to Mitt Romney's 2012 line about 47% of Americans on government dole supporting Barack Obama and Mr Obama's 2008 characterisation of downtrodden Pennsylvanians as clinging to guns and religion.

Unlike those noted gaffes, however, it is not clear how Mrs Clinton's public remarks will directly damage her.

BBC impartial as ever...nothing Clinton can say will damage her...because TRUMP TRUMP RACIST MCTRUMP....

They obviously haven't watched John Harris piece on why even unionized solidly democrat voting blue collar workers voted for Trump in the some primaries. It is again that lack of understanding why people might have wanted to vote Brexit, despite Farage, Gove et al.

If Farage led the Vote Leave campaign they would have lost badly.
    edited September 2016
    nunu said:

He wasn't exactly silent though....and his campaigning was widely reported as a big bat to bash Leave supporters as a racist e.g. the breaking point poster.

My point was in the US there is serious underlying issues that is drove support for Sanders and now for Trump which John Harris got to the root of in his video pieces but the MSM are totally focused on the racialist stuff.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,541
    nunu said:

It wasn't as if he was hidden away or anything!
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Sandpit said:
    I'd be very careful of relying on anything posted by DeplorableJim and anything sourced to Dick Morris unless there are other corroborating sources.
  • vikvik Posts: 159
    Interesting trend in the CVOTER/UPI poll updates on the 538 site:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/updates/

Clinton was ahead by +5 & +6 in mid-July. Then, Trump pulled ahead to a peak +5 lead during the Republican convention in late July.

Then Clinton reached a peak +7 lead in early August after the Democrat convention.

Her lead was then steadily whittled down during the month, and now Trump has a +1 lead.
  • Why in God's name did Mrs May ever appoint Liam Fox to her Cabinet? ..... Quite bewildering, unless of course it was just to get at Cameron & Co. Come to think of it .....

Why in God's name did Mrs May ever appoint Liam Fox to her Cabinet? ..... Quite bewildering, unless of course it was just to get at Cameron & Co. Come to think of it .....

Good evening, Peter... *innocent face*
  • Why in God's name did Mrs May ever appoint Liam Fox to her Cabinet? ..... Quite bewildering, unless of course it was just to get at Cameron & Co. Come to think of it .....

Brexit means Fox, Davis and Johnson Brexit.
  • RobD said:

Why in God's name did Mrs May ever appoint Liam Fox to her Cabinet? ..... Quite bewildering, unless of course it was just to get at Cameron & Co. Come to think of it .....

Good morning Rob .... twitching face.

RobD said:

Good morning Rob .... twitching face.
    And so begins another episode of The Game of Firsts! ....hums theme tune....
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    vik said:

Clinton was ahead by +5 & +6 in mid-July. Then, Trump pulled ahead to a peak +5 lead during the Republican convention in late July.

Then Clinton reached a peak +7 lead in early August after the Democrat convention.

Her lead was then steadily whittled down during the month, and now Trump has a +1 lead.

What you are not saying is that the lowest chance 538 attributes to Clinton winning is 68%.
  • surbiton said:

vik said:

What you are not saying is that the lowest chance 538 attributes to Clinton winning is 68%.
    “Generally, I’m concerned, frankly,” said former Democratic Senate leader Thomas A. Daschle (S.D.). “It still looks positive, and I think if you look at the swing states and where she is right now, she’s got a lead. But it’s certainly not in the bag. We have two months to go, and I think it’s going to be a competitive race all the way through. I would say she’s got at least a 60 percent chance of winning.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/democrats-wonder-and-worry-why-isnt-clinton-far-ahead-of-trump/2016/09/09/543f3342-7693-11e6-8149-b8d05321db62_story.html
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Alistair said:
    Truth? What is truth?

We are in the era of post-truth politics...
This discussion has been closed.