Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight’s Local By-Elections : Previewed by Harry Hayfield

Comments

• Options

The Sevens isn't going so well. Unless you're Fijian.

Fiji are just too good. Every single GB mistake has turned into a Fiji try.
    They are brilliant, just make it look so easy.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I regard the EU as fundamentally a second order matter. Leaving is a lunatic distraction, but it will pass (albeit that as a nation we will probably be substantially poorer as a result).

But the manner of Leave's victory is one which the nation will not recover from morally for many years. Every form of minority will now become fair game for populists to vilify. Because the referendum has shown that such a strategy can work.

I have to agree with this. Leave ran an astonishingly dishonest campaign. Remain tended to exaggeration but stayed away from the outright lies of their opponents. I thought Indyref Yes was dishonest, but Leave was in another level again.

Having said that, I don't think Leavers are stupid. Arguably, Remain had an arrogance and lack of curiosity about why people would want to leave the EU, that was stupid.
    So each family would be £4300 worse off was a fundamentally honest claim?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    FF43 said:

I regard the EU as fundamentally a second order matter. Leaving is a lunatic distraction, but it will pass (albeit that as a nation we will probably be substantially poorer as a result).

But the manner of Leave's victory is one which the nation will not recover from morally for many years. Every form of minority will now become fair game for populists to vilify. Because the referendum has shown that such a strategy can work.

I have to agree with this. Leave ran an astonishingly dishonest campaign. Remain tended to exaggeration but stayed away from the outright lies of their opponents
    £4300.

Punishment budget.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

Well Fiji, if you're going to win your first ever Olympic medal, it might as well be gold.....

Well done Fiji but I can't really get excited about Rugby in the Olympics and that would be the case even if Team GB were miles ahead
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Since this is politicalbetting.com, what we should be exploring is not the morals but the lessons for betting purposes of the referendum result. Pundits, journalists, politicians,financial markets, and political punters - including yours truly - read it wrongly. What lessons are there to be learnt from this misreading, so we can bet more profitably in the future?

TBH I'm not sure. The weight of economic arguments for Remain was absolutely overwhelming. Did the public knowingly decide to accept the risks, or did they not believe them? Did we under-estimate economic confidence (voters thought they were safe to take the risk), or over-estimate it (voters thought they had nothing to lose)? Or was it different amongst different groups? Or did they knowingly prioritise sovereignty and/or immigration over economics?

Did u see prof.Curtice on election night saying only a plurality thought the economy would get worse whereas a large majority thought immigration would fall, this is similar to the underlt polling of the GE where the topline figures showed Labour ahead or level but behind hugely on leadership and the economy.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

FF43 said:

I have to agree with this. Leave ran an astonishingly dishonest campaign. Remain tended to exaggeration but stayed away from the outright lies of their opponents
    £4300.

Punishment budget.
    If there is no punishment budget in the autumn then it will only because the magic money tree is loaded with fruit.

Fiji are a far better team. GB not even close to scoring.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Since this is politicalbetting.com, what we should be exploring is not the morals but the lessons for betting purposes of the referendum result. Pundits, journalists, politicians,financial markets, and political punters - including yours truly - read it wrongly. What lessons are there to be learnt from this misreading, so we can bet more profitably in the future?

TBH I'm not sure. The weight of economic arguments for Remain was absolutely overwhelming. Did the public knowingly decide to accept the risks, or did they not believe them? Did we under-estimate economic confidence (voters thought they were safe to take the risk), or over-estimate it (voters thought they had nothing to lose)? Or was it different amongst different groups? Or did they knowingly prioritise sovereignty and/or immigration over economics?

I disagree about the economic arguments, you probably agreed with them because you had absolute trust on those making the arguments.

If the multiple financial and economic crisis of the past teaches us, is that those in place of authority tend to bend reality towards their personal benefits.

To put it simply, for too many times those people cried wolf in order to retain their jobs, so now no one believes them.

"Pundits, journalists, politicians,financial markets, and political punters - including yours truly - read it wrongly."

How many times in the last 30 years have those groups read it wrongly, or abused their position of trust to peddle their personal beliefs ?
    Think about it.

Goodhart's law works just as good with people as with indexes:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodhart's_law

"All metrics of scientific evaluation are bound to be abused. Goodhart’s law (named after the British economist who may have been the first to announce it) states that when a feature of the economy is picked as an indicator of the economy, then it inexorably ceases to function as that indicator because people start to game it."
  • Options
    SNP gain Renfrew South and Gallowhill
    LAB gain Irvine West.
  • Options
    Andy Murray and Heather Watson into the QF of the mixed.
  • Options
    Fiji are fantastic, but Team GB have made more mistakes in this final than in total of all the other games I have seen.
  • Options

John_M said:

SeanT said:

Is tonight one of those nights for loony Leavers to frot themselves blind as they conveniently forget that the referendum was fought and won on keeping out foreigners?

In which case, I'll check out again.

I've cut you some slack because of your sad personal news - and I hope your partner continues to improve - but I'm finding it very hard to rein it in. Hmpft.

Do us a favour, shut up, go tend your Hungarian garden. Everything you've said since the vote has been embarrassing. Shush.
    Remain refuseniks should just keep their powder dry. The economy will likely contract in Q3. They can have their day in the sun at that point.
    I'm content to stick with the morals rather than the economics. To make common cause with and pander to xenophobes is contemptible. That it was successful does not make it less contemptible.

I am not, however, a refusnik. The vote is cast and we just have to make the best of this moral disgrace in a manner consistent with the argument leading up to the vote.
    Except Leave didn't pander to or make common cause with xenophobes which is why the xenophobes were ostracised and left with Leave.EU while the grown up Leavers went out and won it.
    https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/02b230449f750df147b3f85fa7ce060bae0b325a/446_0_3002_1801/master/3002.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=b9c92a8c21f4c2e028fb801c8c1d65b1
    Turkey being an official applicant to join the EU is a matter of fact. If the EU wanted to say "no Turkey is not going to join even if it passes the acquis communitaire" it could have done so but you want to have cake and eat it too.

I think Turkey joining is a good idea like Cameron did. But then I never pretended when that became uncomfortable that it was not an issue.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    ... Part of the answer to why Brexit? why now? is that hundreds of thousands of people who were normally constrained by having to positively vote for someone, which they might find repugnant, had the option to vote against everything for the first time since the unpopular and forgotten AV ballot. You could vote against whatever you liked, EU immigrants, non-EU immigrants, other people getting money, and you didn't have to take the blame or endorse a hated member of the politician class. We're talking about politically alienated people who would not trust Farage any more than Corbyn. Another part of the answer is that the country's most successful politician fought with one hand self-tied behind his back in an incredibly arrogant manner - I mean in the sense that Cameron arrogantly assumed the main point of the campaign was to keep the Tory Party safe for reunification under his leadership after the substantial Remain victory. Nobody on the other side fought with that restraint.
  • Options

The weight of economic arguments for Remain was absolutely overwhelming.

You might have thought so at the time but that was from your perspective. Everyone has their own perspective based upon their experiences and personal circumstances and for many millions (including many who voted Remain) the weight of economic arguments certainly wasn't absolutely overwhelming for Remain.

There were indeed a myriad of reasons why people voted Leave - as there were for why people voted Remain - here's one:

For sixty years after 1945 everyone got richer.

And then they stopped getting richer but the 1% still kept getting richer EVEN WHEN THEY WERE INCOMPETENT.

Now think back to before the vote - how many predictions of stock market collapses were there after a Leave vote ?

BUT DID ANYONE PREDICT THE STOCK MARKET WOULD RISE AFTER A LEAVE VOTE ???

Why should anyone believe the predictions of self-serving experts ?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

The Sevens isn't going so well. Unless you're Fijian.

Fiji are just too good. Every single GB mistake has turned into a Fiji try.
    The Sevens have developed not necessarily to Team GBs advantage. Now equal to the second highest ever football score.
  • Options

LAB gain Irvine West.

Labour not dead yet.....I think.
  • Options

LAB gain Irvine West.

Labour gain from SNP ?

That is a surprise.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The writing was on the wall for years, but many chose to ignore it

For example, UKIP won the 2014 EU elections. This is a weather vane of sorts.
  • Options

LAB gain Irvine West.

Oh, but this is an STV by-election where Labour were the most popular party in those wards in 2012.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,500

Or perhaps they thought there was no risk, because the fundamentals guarantee the economy will go to shit at some point anyway. That's what I think. Remain sold the EU as some sort of anti-recession insurance. Which is patently absurd.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    EPG said:

... Part of the answer to why Brexit? why now? is that hundreds of thousands of people who were normally constrained by having to positively vote for someone, which they might find repugnant, had the option to vote against everything for the first time since the unpopular and forgotten AV ballot. You could vote against whatever you liked, EU immigrants, non-EU immigrants, other people getting money, and you didn't have to take the blame or endorse a hated member of the politician class. We're talking about politically alienated people who would not trust Farage any more than Corbyn. Another part of the answer is that the country's most successful politician fought with one hand self-tied behind his back in an incredibly arrogant manner - I mean in the sense that Cameron arrogantly assumed the main point of the campaign was to keep the Tory Party safe for reunification under his leadership after the substantial Remain victory. Nobody on the other side fought with that restraint.

I am just left with this impression of the whole fiasco. Cameron: stunningly arrogant, stunningly reckless, stunningly foolish.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    surbiton said:

Mortimer said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

It.
    Yep, that's my analysis, and it's more interesting - to my mind - than the northern WWC voting OUT

Why did people like ME - prosperous southerners, with stuff to lose - vote GO?
    Sovereignty but also even in the south immigration was an issue too. That said whole swathes of SouthEast England did vote Remain, from Tunbridge Wells to Guildford and West Oxfordshire to Epsom
    This map of voting is fascinating. Generally, richer areas voted REMAIN, but not always.

Some LEAVE votes are intriguingly intense and decisive. North Devon: 57 to 43 LEAVE. Dorset: universally LEAVE. Etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36616028
    Lol @ Bradford voting Leave.
    SeanT is right that the map is fascinating. Basically because it's a good proxy for the UK socio-cultural divide.

For example, the hinterland of Cambridge, as well as Cambridge, being 'Remainy'. Plus Bristol, Exeter, Bath, Brighton, Norwich, Oxford, Cardiff and Manchester.

All places that are very left-liberal, yuppie, new worldy, hippy, internationalist, and middle class/graduatey.

I fear Winchester may be going that way too.

A good chunk of the commuter belt too - like Tunbridge Wells, Guildford, Thames Valley and St. Albans. But not all, and not everywhere. Probably status quo voters.

But, anyway, I've never felt as estranged from my own peer group as I have after this vote.
    Interested to hear if you experienced the same as me, CR. In the days after I was often referred to as 'my only Leaver friend' - I generally corrected that to 'your only winning friend'. But more seriously, people turned to me as a counsellor, reassurer of the future, guide to a Britain my peers no longer understood, rather than as a figure of hate.

I was, a few moaners who were mid house sale (all completed, incidentally) aside, very very impressed with my friends. A few on here are the only people I know who won't accept the result....
    I do not know anyone who voted Leave. If I knew someone, I would not keep any sort of relationship with him/her.
    LOL.

Farage was right when he said Brexit was a victory for decent people. The referendum has exposed the Europhiles utter contempt for democracy.
  • Options
    EPG said:

LAB gain Irvine West.

Oh, but this is an STV by-election where Labour were the most popular party in those wards in 2012.
    Yep, only got figures for Ren South so far

@britainelects
    Renfrew South & Gallowhill (Renfrewshire) first preferences:
    SNP: 47.8% (+6.9)
    LAB: 36.9% (-8.5)
    CON: 13.4% (+9.1)
    LDEM: 1.9% (+0.1)
  • Options

You might have thought so at the time but that was from your perspective. Everyone has their own perspective based upon their experiences and personal circumstances and for many millions (including many who voted Remain) the weight of economic arguments certainly wasn't absolutely overwhelming for Remain.

There were indeed a myriad of reasons why people voted Leave - as there were for why people voted Remain - here's one:

And then they stopped getting richer but the 1% still kept getting richer EVEN WHEN THEY WERE INCOMPETENT.

Now think back to before the vote - how many predictions of stock market collapses were there after a Leave vote ?

The FTSE 100 rose mostly because of the devaluation of the pound.

It is worth remembering that we are still in the phoney war. It is only when we hear what the Brexit deal really means that we shall see the reaction of stock and currency markets.

There is a lot of shorting the pound going on.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 13m13 minutes ago
    SNP GAIN Renfrew South & Gallowhill (Renfrewshire) from Labour.

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 8m8 minutes ago

• Options
    Least surprising news of the day....South Korea wins the women's archery...AGAIN...like every time...
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter

LDEM surge continues.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

In 2014 UKIP were indeed the largest party, but the vote was only 28%. Even adding in half the tories it is only 40% of a low turnout election for Leave.

In 2014 the majority of Britons voted for parties of Remain.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,762

FF43 said:

£4300.

Punishment budget.
    As conjecture in a Treasury report it is what it is. Actually I think a 6% relative contraction by 2030 is very plausible. We have a 2% contraction pretty much nailed on in the next two years and even that makes optimistic assumptions. Mr Osborne shouldn't have presented it as a headline and a statement of fact in a poster, without making it clear it was conjecture
  • Options
    edited August 2016

It is worth remembering that we are still in the phoney war. It is only when we hear what the Brexit deal really means that we shall see the reaction of stock and currency markets.

The FTSE 250 is at its highest level for over a year - so is the 350 and the S&P 500.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I think it became a majority view since 1991 and the mess over the Maastricht treaty.
    Certainly after the ERM disaster in 1992, which proved that european integration was harmful for the economy.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

The FTSE 250 is at its highest level for over a year.
    Measured in devalued Sterling!
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016

I'm not sure there are useful answers to any of those questions. I cannot for a moment believe that the electorate had any expertise on the alternative scenarios open to the UK in the event of Brexit, anymore than I believe they understood the overall direction of travel of the EU as a whole had we voted Remain.

Given that most of us here are partisan one way or another, it's hard to be dispassionate. I've said before, I thought both campaigns were terrible - mendacity was the order of the day.

We're wise to be skeptical of post-ref surveys - for all we know the population voted to deport all the Romanians and then claimed concerns for sovereignty after the event.

If we're prepared to take recent surveys at face value, it appears that control (with immigration in second place) was the highest concern.

The TUC survey showed that those polled expected Leave to hit their finances, so I don't think it was ignorance. My personal sense (just from talking with friends and family) was that the economic claims were so overblown they lost credibility.

We can't blame people for not being receptive to the economic arguments. They were couched in language that was inaccessible to laypeople.
  • Options
    I believe Team GB are ahead of 2012 pace on total medals, but in 2012 the following few comparable days the rate of medal winning became insane.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Equities are rallying in anticipation of more QE, rate cuts, unconventional measures etc.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited August 2016
    EPG said:

Y0kel said:

The funny thing is, England historically always has done well with that kind of crap foisted on them by Oxbridge. Oxbridge rules and, indeed, the outcome of the referendum is effectively to give more control to Oxbridge, the United States, and perhaps China.

Then the question becomes, why did it happen this time? I wrote beforehand that it was hard to think of this kind of reaction against the government, the opposition, and the top runners of the country being voted for in England. Certainly not since the elections of the first two Labour ministries in the 1920s, and only in 1929 on a plurality of the vote. What was it about the campaign that was different this time? I do believe it was a mixture of sovereignty and immigration, and one cannot simply handwave away the immigration aspect of the campaign and ascribe the outcome solely to dry theoretical concepts of Westphalian statehood or romantic memories.
    No. They can live with them dominating politics and media but they won't stand for being effectively called rascist and stupid.

Secondly my point is about why people missed the possibility of Leave winning. It wasn't picked up because many people kept quiet. I believe that the tone that you had to have some kind of bad soul or were frankly stupid if you thought about voting Leave did quieten many of the population prior to getting to the polling station. If I am to take one or two conversations that I had with people, you literally felt like you'd have to really justify yourself. It was like 'Voting Leave? How come? ' Its alright for me, I'll quite happily tell people why I did and I'll fight my corner but for many others its just easier to say nowt and do your business with the pencil.

I remember listening to Radio 5Live just as the polls closed and they interviewed a two or three don't knows that they followed through the campaign and they solidly ended up voting Leave. The main reason proffered? Loss of control over the government, laws and control of their country. It was a liberal democratic argument for the nation state.

So yes we can have our Oxbridge types governing but we can turf them out and put another bunch in who might do better. That matters, it always mattered.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @martinmccluskey: This is a pretty big upset. SNP candidate was @NicolaSturgeon's dad. https://t.co/SPOr5I5IeK
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

£4300.

Punishment budget.
    As conjecture in a Treasury report it is what it is. Actually I think a 6% relative contraction by 2030 is very plausible. We have a 2% contraction pretty much nailed on in the next two years and even that makes optimistic assumptions. Mr Osborne shouldn't have presented it as a headline and a statement of fact in a poster, without making it clear it was conjecture
    No, it was a total lie. For one thing the denominator on the calculation was wrong, and for another they claimed it as "worse off" not "better off by less".
  • Options
    PeterC said:

weejonnie said:

Equities are rallying in anticipation of more QE, rate cuts, unconventional measures etc.
    No the FTSE 250 shouldn't be rallying because of rate cuts and QE as that means a weak sterling.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

weejonnie said:

Yet nobody predicted that would happen after a Leave vote.
  • Options
    nunu said:

PeterC said:

weejonnie said:

No the FTSE 250 shouldn't be rallying because of rate cuts and QE as that means a weak sterling.
    Printed money chasing assets. - Investors forced out along the risk curve - it's the story of the past seven years.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,916

Outstandingly good question: well-focussed, that man.

OK, one obvious one is that the mean absolute error for referenda in the UK is a f**k of a lot bigger than that for general elections - enormously so, in fact.. The MAE for Euro16 ranged from about 2 to about 12: the acceptable limit for UKGEs is about 2-2.5 (1992 and 2015 GEs had MAEs of about 2.25-2.75).. This is not surprising: the AV referendum and ScotIndy also had some polls with >10 MAEs, but because the winning margins for both were over 10%, nobody noticed.

From a betting POV, I think this means the polls for GE2020 will be more accurate than punters believe, and betting behavior will be even more skewed than usual, leading to potentially greater profit for us in PB.com.

I like to think that Euro16 finally killed the canard that betting odds are a good predictor, but I fear that some dumb f**k will say "but of course they're more accurate, because it's their own money" and for the good of the country I will have to have them killed. It's for the best.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@martinmccluskey: This is a pretty big upset. SNP candidate was @NicolaSturgeon's dad. https://t.co/SPOr5I5IeK

That is a very interesting result considering it was Nicola Sturgeon's Dad who was SNP candidate, obviously couldn't get the party faithful out to vote.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

EPG said:

I am just left with this impression of the whole fiasco. Cameron: stunningly arrogant, stunningly reckless, stunningly foolish.
    Whatever you think of Remain versus Leave: He set himself three significant goals in his premiership, namely to promote the Big Society, to dispel the deficit and to keep the UK in the European Union. The first was buried in a bog and the other two were miserable failures. I think he will be remembered as a prime minister who couldn't positively achieve much but who didn't overly burden comfortably-off people with hard choices.
  • Options

PeterC said:

weejonnie said:

Yes. The Brexit equity crash was the greatest bear trap I have ever seen.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

£4300.

Punishment budget.
    It wasn't even conjecture it was an outright barefaced lie.

The conjecture was a 6% fall in GDP between the scenarios. But how did we get the £4300 figure when a 6% fall in family income between the figures would be considerably less?

Family income is a fraction of total GDP. Dividing GDP by number of families was about unheard.of fabrication.
  • Options
    viewcode said:
    Right so they aren't at all allowed to campaign on an issue that voters themselves say is the most important to them right....
  • Options
    vikvik Posts: 157

The "Conservative" party leader was campaigning in favour of Remain, but Leave was actually the more "conservative" option. Remain would have meant ever-closer Union & the eventual disappearance of the British nation state.

Personally, I didn't expect a majority of British voters to understand ever-closer Union & I expected them to consider Remain to be the apparent status quo option.

So, I think the results of the referendum were actually in line with other referendum results (like the Scottish Independence vote or the New Zealand flag referendum) where people tend to be more likely to choose the conservative & status quo option.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

surbiton said:

Mortimer said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

It.
    Yep, that's my analysis, and it's more interesting - to my mind - than the northern WWC voting OUT

Sovereignty but also even in the south immigration was an issue too. That said whole swathes of SouthEast England did vote Remain, from Tunbridge Wells to Guildford and West Oxfordshire to Epsom
    This map of voting is fascinating. Generally, richer areas voted REMAIN, but not always.

Some LEAVE votes are intriguingly intense and decisive. North Devon: 57 to 43 LEAVE. Dorset: universally LEAVE. Etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36616028
    SeanT is right that the map is fascinating. Basically because it's a good proxy for the UK socio-cultural divide.

For example, the hinterland of Cambridge, as well as Cambridge, being 'Remainy'. Plus Bristol, Exeter, Bath, Brighton, Norwich, Oxford, Cardiff and Manchester.

All places that are very left-liberal, yuppie, new worldy, hippy, internationalist, and middle class/graduatey.

I fear Winchester may be going that way too.

A good chunk of the commuter belt too - like Tunbridge Wells, Guildford, Thames Valley and St. Albans. But not all, and not everywhere. Probably status quo voters.

But, anyway, I've never felt as estranged from my own peer group as I have after this vote.
    Interested to hear if you experienced the same as me, CR. In the days after I was often referred to as 'my only Leaver friend' - I generally corrected that to 'your only winning friend'. But more seriously, people turned to me as a counsellor, reassurer of the future, guide to a Britain my peers no longer understood, rather than as a figure of hate.

I was, a few moaners who were mid house sale (all completed, incidentally) aside, very very impressed with my friends. A few on here are the only people I know who won't accept the result....
    I do not know anyone who voted Leave. If I knew someone, I would not keep any sort of relationship with him/her.
    LOL.

Farage was right when he said Brexit was a victory for decent people. The referendum has exposed the Europhiles utter contempt for democracy.
    Not to mention that the only Labour voting area in Surbiton probably voted Leave.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

£4300.

Punishment budget.
    The presentation was dreadful. You're one of the first people I've seen use it correctly - a shortfall rather than an absolute contraction. The IFS plumped for a 4% shortfall if its WTO, 1.8% (IIRC) if it's a CETA-like FTA or 2.1% for EEA.

There are two issues with this. Firstly, forgone wealth doesn't have the same impact as lost wealth. I hope that's obvious. Secondly, it's hard to sell a reduction in trend growth by 0.4% (Treasury) to 0.1% (FTA) as a huge deal to ordinary folk.

The reason for that is, I hope, also obvious. The differences in regional wealth are so large, that 6% over 14 years is literally noise. London has 240% higher GDP/capita than Wales.

The fact that WTO would devastate certain sectors of the UK economy is much more powerful, but was never deployed.
  • Options

PeterC said:

weejonnie said:

I did. I am about £10 000 up in my ISA and SIPP. I dumped my shares most vulnerable to Brexit such as the housebuilders, shifted my investments to shares earning in forex and am sitting pretty. The interest rate cut and QE will push the values of these assets up further over the next year, at least as measured in Sterling.

With the extra £350 million per week for the NHS and a secure job for myself, life is pretty good for foxy!
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    EPG said:

LAB gain Irvine West.

Apparently the SNP candidate is Nicola Sturgeon's dad! Bit awkward.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

£4300.

Punishment budget.
    It wasn't even conjecture it was an outright barefaced lie.

The conjecture was a 6% fall in GDP between the scenarios. But how did we get the £4300 figure when a 6% fall in family income between the figures would be considerably less?

Family income is a fraction of total GDP. Dividing GDP by number of families was about unheard.of fabrication.
    But even if it had been a valid calculation, it would have been rendered invalid by using the current number of households as the denominator instead of the future number.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    weejonnie said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

LDEM surge continues.
    Scottish Tory Surge Klaxon.....
  • Options
    EPG said:

PeterC said:

EPG said:

Whatever you think of Remain versus Leave: He set himself three significant goals in his premiership, namely to promote the Big Society, to dispel the deficit and to keep the UK in the European Union. The first was buried in a bog and the other two were miserable failures. I think he will be remembered as a prime minister who couldn't positively achieve much but who didn't overly burden comfortably-off people with hard choices.
    I loved this from Janen Ganesh in the FT:

"There is a place for class prejudice if it is done properly. Resent privileged Conservatives, for instance, but resent them for the right reason. They are not hostile to poor people. Their sin is more often casualness, a vision of politics as a parlour game to be played with old college friends. If it goes wrong, well, you win some, you lose some. There is no malice here, just the frivolity of people unmarked by life.

David Cameron spent his last parliamentary session as prime minister holding up cat photos and chuckling like a man who had just lost a rugby-club drinking contest, not a referendum on Europe. He then decorated with official honours various losers from the Remain campaign and so many of his own advisers as to make you wonder what, short of inadvertently sitting on the nuclear button, a staffer had to do to not make the cut.
    "
  • Options
    edited August 2016

I did. I am about £10 000 up in my ISA and SIPP. I dumped my shares most vulnerable to Brexit such as the housebuilders, shifted my investments to shares earning in forex and am sitting pretty. The interest rate cut and QE will push the values of these assets up further over the next year, at least as measured in Sterling.

With the extra £350 million per week for the NHS and a secure job for myself, life is pretty good for foxy!

What's your prediction for GBP/USD for Decenber 31st 2016? I've just opened a UK USD account and I'm wondering how much to put in it.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Scott_P said:

That is a very interesting result considering it was Nicola Sturgeon's Dad who was SNP candidate, obviously couldn't get the party faithful out to vote.
    No figures kicking about yet, so wonder if it was won on the 2nd preferences. Certainly a surprising result, given it was Robin Sturgeon.
  • Options

FF43 said:

£4300.

Punishment budget.
    If there is no punishment budget in the autumn then it will only because the magic money tree is loaded with fruit.

Fiji are a far better team. GB not even close to scoring.
    We were told it would require an *emergency* budget, implying it couldn't wait until the Autumn:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/14/osborne-predicts-30bn-hole-in-public-finance-if-uk-votes-to-leave-eu
  • Options
    Those Irvine West results in full:

Irvine West:
    SNP: 37.5% (+0.7)
    LAB: 33.1% (-7.1)
    CON: 20.6% (+8.6)
    SLP: 4.2% (+2.6)
    GRN: 3.0% (+3.0)
    LD: 1.5% (-3.2)

Lab elected stage 6.
  • Options

Irvine West:

Lab elected stage 6.

Scottish Tory surge continues.....
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,492

Jonathan said:

In 2014 UKIP were indeed the largest party, but the vote was only 28%. Even adding in half the tories it is only 40% of a low turnout election for Leave.

But this makes the mistake of assuming that Labour voters agree with their party's position on Europe. Or on a lot of things really.
    The 'Working-class-voters-not-doing-what-the-Labour-Party-want' meme is causing a lot of angst in the media, who, with some notable exceptions, still don't really grasp it as anything but a passing fad. Having spent the last 20 years poring scorn on the white working class, many middle class lefties are rather surprised to find that the WWC doesnt much care for them either. They may continue to vote Labour, as a least unpalatable option, but that shouldn't be confused for having anything at all in common with their views and values.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Watching Faisal Islam's Out and Proud about Brexit.

The Sast which had the biggest margins for Leave and which won it for Brexit
    Yes, y its most populous region: southern England.
    It.

Sover
    This map of voting is fascinating
    SeanT
    Basically areas with lots of graduates and which were reasonably well off voted Remain, areas with lots of working class voters and which were have not done so well out of the country's prosperity voted Leave

Indeed there was a far greater class divide in the EU referendum than there was at the last general election.
    But I think that's an oversimplification that papers over the cracks of a lot of nuances, and draws the wrong conclusions.

Too easy to fall into a trap of wealthy/educated = Remain, and poor/stupid = Leave.

Which many people do fall into, willingly, of course. Particularly Remainers.
    I was struck by the TUC's 35-64 ABC1 split which was 51:46 to Remain. These are the people with the most to lose - mortgages, kids at their most expensive, careers peaking. I would have expected them to break much more heavily for Remain.
    Quite, I think there was a significant vote on sovereignty by richer, better educated people. Which us being studiously ignored by the media, who want to paint Brexit as a UKIP wwc revolt in the north.

I don't blame journalists for this. It's a neat and colourful narrative - the peasants rebellion! Lots of guys in tatts in Burnley! - as a journalist you always need that angle. But it's not the whole truth, not even near.
    Rich or poor, I do not know. But there was a direct correlation between educational attainment and voting Remain. It is a fact that cannot be ignored.
    People who have to work for a living voted Remain.
    People on benefits and pensioners voted Leave.
    So 52% of the country are on benefits or pensioners?
    I mean a majority of the 2 sections.
    But you knew that.

• Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

I believe Team GB are ahead of 2012 pace on total medals, but in 2012 the following few comparable days the rate of medal winning became insane.

Yes, I don't think we're gonna match those crucial days, by any means

But my initial predix of high single digit golds was probably pessimistic. I'd say: 10-15 is likely. Which is still jolly good and will put us in the lower reaches of the top 10

I'll go for high teens/low twenties. We have three very good chances for golds tomorrow - two Rowing (one pretty much nailed on, the other looking good) and Men's Team Pursuit Cycling. Probably silver in the horse dancing unless the Germans fall over.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

What's your prediction for GBP/USD for Decenber 31st 2016? I've just opened a UK USD account and I'm wondering how much to put in it.
    Not for me. While I think it very likely for Hillary to win there is the possibility of a Trump win. This combined with the overvaluation of the US stockmarket does not look attractive to me.

I have diversified wider. Some in Dollar earning assets, some in Euro and CHF earning assets and some earning in China and the Far East (ex Japan). Big Pharma and consumer goods with solid brands mostly.

China is not looking so dismal as last year, but does have a way to go. It is also particularly exposed to a trade war with the USA.
  • Options
    John_M said:

EPG said:

PeterC said:

I loved this from Janen Ganesh in the FT:

"There is a place for class prejudice if it is done properly. Resent privileged Conservatives, for instance, but resent them for the right reason. They are not hostile to poor people. Their sin is more often casualness, a vision of politics as a parlour game to be played with old college friends. If it goes wrong, well, you win some, you lose some. There is no malice here, just the frivolity of people unmarked by life.

David Cameron spent his last parliamentary session as prime minister holding up cat photos and chuckling like a man who had just lost a rugby-club drinking contest, not a referendum on Europe. He then decorated with official honours various losers from the Remain campaign and so many of his own advisers as to make you wonder what, short of inadvertently sitting on the nuclear button, a staffer had to do to not make the cut.
    "
    Farage, for all his faults (it's a list), cared deeply about the UK's membership of the EU and that passion kept him going for over 20 years, thru the Kilroy-Silk debacle, the helicopter crash, and a bad back

Cameron...not so much
  • Options
    nunu said:

Irvine West:

Lab elected stage 6.

Unionist votes swing directly to Con. Lib Dems on the ropes.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Twitter
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 38m38 minutes ago
    Labour GAIN Irvine West (North Ayrshire) from SNP.

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 9m9 minutes ago
    Irvine West:

Lab elected stage 6.

• Options

PeterC said:

weejonnie said:

Congrats.

But you realise that there are untold numbers of City 'experts' who get paid a fortune and who predicted the opposite.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

IMF (as of July) think the £ is still overvalued by 5-20% ,which is a pretty large window.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Not for me. While I think it very likely for Hillary to win there is the possibility of a Trump win. This combined with the overvaluation of the US stockmarket does not look attractive to me.

I have diversified wider. Some in Dollar earning assets, some in Euro and CHF earning assets and some earning in China and the Far East (ex Japan). Big Pharma and consumer goods with solid brands mostly.

China is not looking so dismal as last year, but does have a way to go. It is also particularly exposed to a trade war with the USA.
    Fair dos, but I can't diversify that much. I can do two, maybe three currencies, but that's it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited August 2016
    Thrak said:
    Indeed, he still finds time to tweet rubbish when not sucking up to The Donald, goodnight
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Jonathan said:

But this makes the mistake of assuming that Labour voters agree with their party's position on Europe. Or on a lot of things really.
    The 'Working-class-voters-not-doing-what-the-Labour-Party-want' meme is causing a lot of angst in the media, who, with some notable exceptions, still don't really grasp it as anything but a passing fad. Having spent the last 20 years poring scorn on the white working class, many middle class lefties are rather surprised to find that the WWC doesnt much care for them either. They may continue to vote Labour, as a least unpalatable option, but that shouldn't be confused for having anything at all in common with their views and values.
    Yet what little and flimsy evidence there is suggests that most Labour voters voted to Remain. To be honest, I have seen more of this "middle-class left hate and fear other people" virtue signalling post-Brexit than "stupid-poor-Leavers" virtue signalling from the other side. After all, the other side has a much easier target that always takes their blame: the Tories.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Cookie said:

Jonathan said:

I am sure that you are right (though the WWC is not as intolerant and narrow minded as some on here would claim. The 35% of 65+ C2DE's for example who voted Remain are a group meriting further investigation).

I suspect that the people who voted Lab in the Euro's were not Leavers, as those would mostly already have switched to the kippers.

• Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604

CLPs nomination tonight

Corbyn

Portsmouth, 75 to 13
    Clacton, 49 to 21
    Enfield North, 88 to 40
    Sevenoaks
    Bedford
    Elmet and Rothwell, 68 to 32
    Wellingborough
    Blackley and Broughton, 74 to 15
    Solihull
    Halesowen and Rowley Regis
    Mid Worcestershire
    Hyndburn
    South East Cambridgeshire
    Winchester, 86 to 35
    South Ribble

Smith

Twickenham, 76 to 70
    Glasgow Cathcart
    Ealing Central
    Ayl

A question: given that the number of people eligible to participate in such meetings increased by roughly 50% on Monday, were all those newly eligible given notice of the meetings, let alone adequate required notice?

A second question: given that previous nominations have been made by excluding members the High Court has now said can participate in the election, are all those previous nominations invalid?

And a third: What on earth happens if on Friday the Appeal Court takes us back to square one? Other than CLP Secretaries jumping out of the window at the sheer administrative chaos of it all.

• Options

PeterC said:

weejonnie said:

Congrats.

But you realise that there are untold numbers of City 'experts' who get paid a fortune and who predicted the opposite.
    They bet on the wrong horse.

When the exit polls came out I thought that I might have over done it, but my caution was vindicated.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    John_M said:

IMF (as of July) think the £ is still overvalued by 5-20% ,which is a pretty large window.

That's not strictly an answer, but I'll take it, thank you. I think the best option for currency transfer would be something like Tramonex, which takes a cut of about 1.5% (so if you convert GBP to USD and straight back to GBP, you'd lose about 3%). But if GBP declines a further 5-20%, it's going to be worth it.

This is not going to be a happy few years for fiscal conservatives... :(
  • Options
    Twitter
    Gemma Doyle@gemmacdoyle
    Lot of Scottish CLPs nominating @owensmith2016 this evening #LabourLeadership
  • Options

nunu said:

Irvine West:

Lab elected stage 6.

No tactical Unionist voting, are Labour even trying to get Tory votes?
  • Options
    Twitter
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 24s24 seconds ago
    Conservative HOLD Ombersley (Worcestershire).
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter

A vital hold!
  • Options

weejonnie said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

John_M said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Watching Faisal Islam's Out and Proud about Brexit.

The Sast which had the biggest margins for Leave and which won it for Brexit
    Yes, y its most populous region: southern England.
    It.

Sover
    This map of voting is fascinating
    SeanT
    Basically areas with lots of graduates and which were reasonably well off voted Remain, areas with lots of working class voters and which were have not done so well out of the country's prosperity voted Leave

Indeed there was a far greater class divide in the EU referendum than there was at the last general election.
    But I think that's an oversimplification that papers over the cracks of a lot of nuances, and draws the wrong conclusions.

Too easy to fall into a trap of wealthy/educated = Remain, and poor/stupid = Leave.

Which many people do fall into, willingly, of course. Particularly Remainers.
    I was struck by the TUC's 35-64 ABC1 split which was 51:46 to Remain. ....
    Quite, ....

I don't blame journalists for this. It's a neat and colourful narrative - the peasants rebellion! Lots of guys in tatts in Burnley! - as a journalist you always need that angle. But it's not the whole truth, not even near.
    Rich or poor, I do not know. But there was a direct correlation between educational attainment and voting Remain. It is a fact that cannot be ignored.
    People who have to work for a living voted Remain.
    People on benefits and pensioners voted Leave.
    So 52% of the country are on benefits or pensioners?
    I mean a majority of the 2 sections.
    But you knew that.

Of course - just as I know that far more people these days get (useless) university degrees than they did in the 1960s and earlier - so waving graduation as 'the clever voted remain' is a load of bullshit.
  • Options
    nunu said:

nunu said:

Irvine West:

Lab elected stage 6.

I doubt it, but right wing Labour types are moving away it seems. Also looks like Tories are using their lower preferences to pick other unionist parties, hence Lab won at Round 6.

Although good to see the Labour Party being not left wing enough for some, who've moved to the Socialist Labour Party.
  • Options
    CON hold Ombersley.

#shocked
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    nunu said:

nunu said:

Irvine West:

Lab elected stage 6.

Obviously there was tactical Unionist voting otherwise Labour wouldn't have won the seat in the end, would they?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

John_M said:

That's not strictly an answer, but I'll take it, thank you. I think the best option for currency transfer would be something like Tramonex, which takes a cut of about 1.5% (so if you convert GBP to USD and straight back to GBP, you'd lose about 3%). But if GBP declines a further 5-20%, it's going to be worth it.

This is not going to be a happy few years for fiscal conservatives... :(
    Xendpay are cheaper and pretty good. So are Azino though amateurish.
  • Options
    Re Leave / Remain voters.

I've seen splits on class and age grounds but has anyone seen any splits on private sector employment / public sector employment ?
  • Options

nunu said:

nunu said:

Irvine West:

Lab elected stage 6.

Obviously there was tactical Unionist voting otherwise Labour wouldn't have won the seat in the end, would they?

nunu said:

nunu said:

Irvine West:

Lab elected stage 6.

Ah yes I forgot its stv.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter

Twitter
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 4m4 minutes ago
    Ombersley (Worcestershire) result:
    CON: 63.2% (+15.3)
    LDEM: 14.8% (+9.7)
    UKIP: 14.0% (-19.2)
    IND: 7.9% (+7.9)
    Lab and Grn didn't stand.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

...They bet on the wrong horse...

"They bet on the wrong horse"? Well, it'll do, but for the full 80's action movie, you have to stand back, fire the gun, then say something like "It's been revoked", or "Consider dat uh divorce!".... :)
    "
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

A vital hold!
    Every little bit helps... ;)
  • Options
    fitalass said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

Twitter
    Monumental Tory result!
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    John_M said:

I'm not sure there are useful answers to any of those questions. I cannot for a moment believe that the electorate had any expertise on the alternative scenarios open to the UK in the event of Brexit, anymore than I believe they understood the overall direction of travel of the EU as a whole had we voted Remain.

Given that most of us here are partisan one way or another, it's hard to be dispassionate. I've said before, I thought both campaigns were terrible - mendacity was the order of the day.

We're wise to be skeptical of post-ref surveys - for all we know the population voted to deport all the Romanians and then claimed concerns for sovereignty after the event.

If we're prepared to take recent surveys at face value, it appears that control (with immigration in second place) was the highest concern.

The TUC survey showed that those polled expected Leave to hit their finances, so I don't think it was ignorance. My personal sense (just from talking with friends and family) was that the economic claims were so overblown they lost credibility.

We can't blame people for not being receptive to the economic arguments. They were couched in language that was inaccessible to laypeople.
    I think the main lesson (again) was we need more accurate opinion polling. Leave won at a canter, and in hindsight it's pretty clear that our assumptions about the British public's attitudes to the EU had been wrong (by several percentage points) for many years. (This should've been obvious really, given that one rarely if ever heard anything positive about the EU from individuals, newspapers or politicians over 40 years.) In hindsight it's also possible to see that the campaign itself (strong Leave team, Remain team led by PM) confirmed Leavers in their opinions and did almost nothing to challenge them.
  • Options

nunu said:

nunu said:

Irvine West:

Lab elected stage 6.

Agreed, but interesting that SNP couldn't get party faithful out to back Nicola Sturgeon's Dad in greater numbers in her home town. Sturgeon also turned out to campaign for her Dad too.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

Twitter
    Lol were momentum in charge if the local CLP again?
  • Options
    RobD said:

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

Twitter
    Monumental Tory result!
    The May-gasm!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

...They bet on the wrong horse...

"They bet on the wrong horse"? Well, it'll do, but for the full 80's action movie, you have to stand back, fire the gun, then say something like "It's been revoked", or "Consider dat uh divorce!".... :)
    "
    "Let's rock!"
  • Options

I've seen splits on class and age grounds but has anyone seen any splits on private sector employment / public sector employment ?

Climate change denier / believer?
    Monarchist / republican?
  • Options

Climate change denier / believer?
    Monarchist / republican?
    PBer/non-PBer?
This discussion has been closed.