Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour chooses an Everton fan to be its candidate for Mayor

Comments

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735

DavidL said:

Hands up who respects Andy Burnham?

Actually I do.

He did so much good work on the Hillsborough disaster inquiry, when very few were interested.
    You're serious about being a candidate aren't you?
    Just imagine if Labour split, UKIP continue to implode, the Tory candidate could win with just 25% of the vote.

Who wouldn't fancy being Greater Manchester's first Directly Elected DictatorMayor?
    Because a Liverpool supporting Yorkshireman's going to do so well in Manchester?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/09/muslim-taxi-driver-jailed-for-27-years-for-barbaric-murder-of-gl/

An admirably long sentence and wholly fitting for what was an appalling crime.

It is very sad that the poor man's family now feel compelled to leave Scotland. They should be given love and support and help not have to suffer twice over.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Now if UKIP can find a really impressive candidate (and that is a big if) then Burnham might yet prove to be another loser

UKIP will never win Manchester, it voted Remain in EUref
    I don't think Greater Manchester did. (Though I'm not disagreeing that UKIP won't win)
    Trafford, Manchester CC area and Stockport voted Remain. All other GM boroughs voted to Leave.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited August 2016
    HYUFD said:

Now if UKIP can find a really impressive candidate (and that is a big if) then Burnham might yet prove to be another loser

You don't know Greater Manchester do you?
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Mostly sensible points, and I concur with a lot of them.

I thought his point 10 was interesting re Article 50: "10. Brits need to understand that Article 50 negotiations only cover a small number of issues, such as who pays for the pensions of UK MEPs and other Brits working for the EU who will be dismissed, and the transfer of the European Medicines Agency and European Banking Authority from London. The other issues – devising a visa and work permit scheme, for example – will take many years of talks to conclude, and will only get under way once Article 50 talks are over and the UK plays no part in the EU. That could be 2019 at the earliest, before the start of the next Commission cycle 2019-2024. Spain has just signed a trade deal with China to export plums; it took eight years to conclude. There is no chance of a ‘quick Brexit’."

Not something i've given particular thought to, but it makes sense that Art 50 is about "divvying up of costs and assets" rather than "what arrangements does Britain have with Europe going forward". They are, when you think about it, two separate processes. But I think the smart option is still to get the framework of "the arrangements going forward" sorted before we start the trivia such as where the Banking Authority moves to.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Trade figures are awful as well. Among the worst ever for our deficit with the EU.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''The politics and actual mechanics of Brexit are horrendously complicated.''

The arrangement you describe was clearly negotiated by people who never saw anything but ever closer union and a federal Europe with Britain as a full member.

Which only goes to show how monstrously we have been lied to for decades.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    edited August 2016

HYUFD said:

It includes Trafford and Stockport which also voted Remain, yes some areas like Wigan and Bury voted Leave but Greater Manchester as a whole is not ideal UKIP territory
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320

Thanks, Doc. I knew you would have some interesting points to make.

I note you say selection at 14. What if we made it at 13 and called it "common entrance"?

I said 14 because that is the official start date for GCSEs at the moment (although don't be terribly surprised if it is de facto extended backwards given the huge amount of content required for new GCSE programmes). That is also, in my experience, when the gap between the ablest and the least able widens to the point where it becomes wholly unbridgeable and the anti-intellectual bullying kicks in.

I am not particularly wedded to one date. However, I don't frankly see a lot of value in one year of non-GCSE tuition in a different school and then into exams. Better to have a proper middle school system for years 5-9 and go from there. But such a system would of course be expensive.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    HYUFD said:

Greater Manchester didn't though, did it? (Not that UKIP would win anyway)
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Mike: "I find it amusing that Greater Manchester will soon be headed by someone who doesn’t support on of its football teams."

Agree, and it's not just about football, it's about being a figurehead for the Manchester city region. As a resident and worker there, I'm not small-minded enough to think "it has to be a Manc", and I don;t believe most others who live here are either, but other than representing a seat in between Manchester and Liverpool, which is not really "Manchester" at all other than via a Whitehall pen-pusher's edict in the early 70s, what has Andy Burnham ever done for or got to offer Manchester?

If there was one obvious, popular, leading "anti Burnham" figure to take him on, I could see that person having a chance. The Tories need to find a popular, bipartisan figure (a la Boris) rather than putting up some non-entity of a Tory local councillor.

Yes I agree - also having some local knowledge I'd think Burnham is very beatable. But a party hack (of any party) would lose. If there's a high profile independent / Tory in all but name then they'd be able to pick up on the terrible national polling for Labour under Corbyn, Burnham's Liverpool affinity and his lack of real achievement in the city. To throw a name out there, if I was trying to find such a candidate I'd be speaking to people like Sir Peter Fahy.
    Of course the one bloke for whom the role was made, Tony Wilson, "Mr Manchester" himself is sadly no longer with us.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It includes Trafford and Stockport which also voted Remain, yes some areas like Wigan and Bury voted Leave but Greater Manchester as a whole is not ideal UKIP territory
    It also includes a plethora of areas that voted Leave.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Shouldn't the leader of a regional or county authority be called something other than "mayor"? It seems like yet another politically-motivated stretching of the English language. People would think you were an idiot if you said you were the mayor of Hertfordshire.

• Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Dadge said:

Shouldn't the leader of a regional or county authority be called something other than "mayor"? It seems like yet another politically-motivated stretching of the English language. People would think you were an idiot if you said you were the mayor of Hertfordshire.

Lord Lieutenant?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: New Labour NEC member Rhea Wolfson says there needs to be "a conversation" about mandatory reselection of MPs. Fancy that ...

LOL! The question is how long will it take the MPs to realise that the deselections are actually going to happen?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It also includes a plethora of areas that voted Leave.
    The country voted Leave, UKIP are presently polling 12%, to have a chance they would need the whole lot to have polled strongly Leave
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435

Dadge said:

Lord Lieutenant?
    Duke?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited August 2016
    Dadge said:

What about the Mayor of London? That is a regional Mayor. The actual city of course is just the square mile.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

And Sion Simon is the Labour candidate for West Midlands Mayor

That is the potentially the most interesting contest. A donkey with a red rosette would surely win a Corbyn-led election in Manchester, London, Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool or Newcastle. The university graduates and undergraduates who, heaven help them, think Corbyn is the Jezziah rather than a creepy and unpleasant weirdo with a long track of record of failure and dishonesty when allied to the tribal Labour vote should see them home comfortably.

However, if there is one major city which encapsulates the disaffection of Labour voters from the wealthy metropolitan virtue signallers, it is Birmingham. Although it has several universities, most of them are quite small and very few graduates live in it. There is a large ethnic minority population and a large, effectively disenfranchised working class. The city has a big UKIP presence and still has pockets where the Conservatives are strong.

On top of this, while there may be a weaker candidate than Sion Simon, it is hard to think who it could be. He has the intellectual capacity of a village idiot, the charisma of a weighing machine, the political acumen of a Donald Trump crossed with the bloke who came up with Hilary's email defence, the charm of a Thameslink official and the efficiency of an Easyjet baggage handler. He won two elections in Erdington more or less by default, and his journalistic career was famously marked by The Spectator describing his as a Telegraph columnist and The Daily Telegraph describing him as 'associate editor of The Spectator.'

A strong UKIP candidate or even a decent working-class Conservative could easily spring a surprise there. Of course, that does presuppose they can find such candidates. But I would say he's no more than about a 3-1 shot at the moment.
    Indeed Birmingham was one of the few big cities which voted Leave
    Only narrowly. We actually got the seat by seat totals - can dig out.

Anyway, the third paragraph made me laugh massively. Thanks.

Incidentally, I went to see Tristram Hunt talk at our uni and it came across as a bid for the mayoralty
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Virgin East Coast rail staff vote to strike

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37023141

RMT seems to have lost the plot, as do the idiots that vote to strike. They will just lose out.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PolhomeEditor: Labour MP: "Burnham got on the first lifeboat, whilst encouraging everyone else to stay on the Titanic with Corbyn."
  • Options
    edited August 2016

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

That is the potentially the most interesting contest. A donkey with a red rosette would surely win a Corbyn-led election in Manchester, London, Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool or Newcastle. The university graduates and undergraduates who, heaven help them, think Corbyn is the Jezziah rather than a creepy and unpleasant weirdo with a long track of record of failure and dishonesty when allied to the tribal Labour vote should see them home comfortably.

However, if there is one major city which encapsulates the disaffection of Labour voters from the wealthy metropolitan virtue signallers, it is Birmingham. Although it has several universities, most of them are quite small and very few graduates live in it. There is a large ethnic minority population and a large, effectively disenfranchised working class. The city has a big UKIP presence and still has pockets where the Conservatives are strong.

On top of this, while there may be a weaker candidate than Sion Simon, it is hard to think who it could be. He has the intellectual capacity of a village idiot, the charisma of a weighing machine, the political acumen of a Donald Trump crossed with the bloke who came up with Hilary's email defence, the charm of a Thameslink official and the efficiency of an Easyjet baggage handler. He won two elections in Erdington more or less by default, and his journalistic career was famously marked by The Spectator describing his as a Telegraph columnist and The Daily Telegraph describing him as 'associate editor of The Spectator.'

A strong UKIP candidate or even a decent working-class Conservative could easily spring a surprise there. Of course, that does presuppose they can find such candidates. But I would say he's no more than about a 3-1 shot at the moment.

Incidentally, I went to see Tristram Hunt talk at our uni and it came across as a bid for the mayoralty
    Your welcome. Which uni was that? Presumably representing Stoke has raised Hunt's ambition to even greater heights!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Any predictions for turnout in these mayoral elections? I'll go for 40%.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited August 2016

Hands up who respects Andy Burnham?

Actually I do.

He did so much good work on the Hillsborough disaster inquiry, when very few were interested.
    Fair enough. A good piece of work there but badly let down by his subsequent performances, particularly as Health Secretary.

I just don't see any leadership capability in him. He's a natural 1st lieutenant.
    Mr. Royale, Point of order, Sir.

The 1st Lieutenant's role has always been to deliver a working ship that the Captain can use. As such the 1st Lieutenant had, and still has to have, very good leadership skills as indeed do do all members of the wardroom and senior rates' mess decks.

The correct analogy for someone with no leadership skill is, wanker.
    Is that a nautical term?
    It has a special badge, an anchor superimposed by a W.

http://www.w-anchor

.co.uk/
  • Options

HYUFD said:

A strong UKIP showing could damage Burnham, for absolutely sure, but I'm sure the Tory candidate would be so far behind Burnham that he/she would have no chance of sneaking through. But then, when you look at the polls, and if St Theresa can continue to work some miracles on Tory fortunes....?

Ex Tory councillor Susan (now Baroness) Williams who led the opposition to Labour's barmpot congestion charging scheme in Gtr Manchester, who fought for and won the right to a referendum which rejected the scheme by a massive majority, might have been a good choice, had she not been given a peerage when she narrowly failed to win Bolton West in 2010 (she's now a junior Home Office Minister)
  • Options
    The West Midlands Metro Mayor selection result

Sion Simon 2,718 votes
    Bedser 1,099 votes
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: New Labour NEC member Rhea Wolfson says there needs to be "a conversation" about mandatory reselection of MPs. Fancy that ...

LOL! The question is how long will it take the MPs to realise that the deselections are actually going to happen?
    They'll wait until one actually happens.
  • Options
    DromedaryDromedary Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2016
    BBC Radio 4 a few minutes ago: Trump endorser Michael Scheuer, former CIA officer, says that the "real rub" for the 50 Republican national security experts who have called Trump unsuitable for the presidency because he would endanger national security is that they don't like him because he wants the US to stop fighting "Israel's wars".

Trump is an excellent speaker. I won't be surprised if he is got out of the race somehow before the first presidential debate on 26 Sep or at least within a week of it.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    I see the corbyanista's are gunning for Watson.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Labour MP: "Burnham got on the first lifeboat, whilst encouraging everyone else to stay on the Titanic with Corbyn."

A similar thought crossed my mind, however, rather than jumping ship voluntarily, I saw Burnham as being politely ushered towards the exit. A useful idiot no longer needed.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    Dromedary said:

BBC Radio 4 a few minutes ago: Trump endorser Michael Scheuer, former CIA officer, says that the "real rub" for the 50 Republican national security experts who have called Trump unsuitable for the presidency because he would endanger national security is that they don't like him because he wants the US to stop fighting "Israel's wars".

Trump is an excellent speaker. I won't be surprised if he is got out of the race somehow before the first presidential debate on 26 Sep or at least within a week of it.

The comparisons with Corbyn multiply.
  • Options
    @PSbook: Big drop in proportion of Britons who still see Labour party as relevant over last 16 months https://t.co/5KCGfHp1Yo

...and many of them are Labour MPs...
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Dadge said:

Lord Lieutenant?
    Duke?
    I'll see your Duke and raise you an Ealdorman.

• Options
    Dromedary said:

Trump has said he is pro Israel and short of assassination as the official GOP nominee he cannot now be got out of the race unless he takes that decision himself
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Ah, it's OK - it turns out we are not members of the EU anyway. From the comments under the ES David Allen Green article by someone called Cashbackliz:

We are not actually in the EU legally as the monarch who signed the country in was already disqualified under S 1 & 2 of the Act of Settlement 1701 . She is forbidden from reconciling with the Church of Rome and all things papist, Britain has an embassy at the Vatican amongst other things like the queen taking Holy Communion at Vespers ( Catholic Church service) in 2005 and she first met Pope John in 1962 at the Vatican all of which are forbidden on the legally binding law which is actually the British Constitution as long as there is a Protestant Church and the monarchy. All Citizens are exempt from all allegiances with such a monarch, and the Act deems her as not having any regal powers, - powers to pass laws, collect taxes all the things that a monarch does. This means that the law which had a royal assent to join the EU was not legally binding.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942

Well he is gunning for them in all fairness. Will anyone dare deselect him in West Brom ?

Can see horse's heads turning up on Corbynites doorsteps..
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PSbook: Big drop in proportion of Britons who still see Labour party as relevant over last 16 months https://t.co/5KCGfHp1Yo

Er not sure how 20% of people think the party currently governing Britain isn't going to be relevant in ten years...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dromedary said:

Trump has said he is pro Israel and short of assassination as the official GOP nominee he cannot now be got out of the race unless he takes that decision himself
    He could be lawfully influenced to take that decision.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    tlg86 said:

Any predictions for turnout in these mayoral elections? I'll go for 40%.

I reckon 30% and I think Burnham will lose. If an independent Mancunian candidate with a decent profile comes along with some press backing I think they'd have an outstanding chance. A Tony Wilson type so to speak! The outer leave areas won't vote Burnham in numbers or with conviction and remember how poorly Lucy Powell did in her by-election in central Manchester.

There is definitely a chance for an upset given the way many will see Burnham being foisted upon them by Westminster Labour and given Burnham's reputation as an opportunist jumping up the career ladder.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,427
    Mr Nabavi - that is I would imagine best described as a fringe opinion.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Er not sure how 20% of people think the party currently governing Britain isn't going to be relevant in ten years...
    Far left moonbats, no?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I'd be interested in more than 2 time points on that one - I imagine there's a ceiling
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Your welcome. Which uni was that? Presumably representing Stoke has raised Hunt's ambition to even greater heights!
    Aston, hence the reply to a post about Birmingham's mayor.
  • Options
    FFS, from the man running away...

@danbloom1: Andy Burnham hits out at threats of mandatory reselection of MPs. "I don't think it's helpful to fuel a climate of distrust" #wato
  • Options
    For some reason, the odds of Bernie Sanders winning the November election, in which he is not a candidate, have shortened a lot at Betfair. He can be backed at 70 now and laid at 80.

Of the Republican non-candidates who can be both backed and laid, Paul Ryan is at 120-140 and Michael Kasich 660-880.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Bristol Labour having problems with the website.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/bristol-labour-jeremy-corbyn-momentum-james-schneider-2016-8

Someone isn't a Corbyn fan.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

They'll wait until one actually happens.
    That'll be way too late, by the time one actually happens there will be dozens more lined up. Maybe Corbyn's enthusiastic support for the boundary review will be the trigger they need?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320

OK, so I clearly wasn't thinking hard enough when I said it was hard to think of candidates who might be more useless than Simon :smiley:

Labour dodged a bullet there...
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    ydoethur said:

In an interesting example of this crassness, Steven Moffat, the rather unpleasant dogmatist famous for writing bad TV dramas, also once said that it was a scandal the school he formerly taught in was providing extra resources for able students 'because it meant the most education went to those who need it the least' - a rather terrifying arse-about-face attitude from an English teacher who clearly doesn't understand the basic principles of education.

Presumably the principle is that everyone emerges equally educated?

We ought to be directing more education at the brightest. The tangle in this debate generally arises from the complicated interplay between wealth and "intelligence" - with people on both sides unwilling to question their own shibboleths.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    'I see the corbyanistas are gunning for Watson.'

For all his faults, Tom Watson IS the labour party. For me, he embodies it. If he leaves, it ain't the labour party no more.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    Pulpstar said:

Well he is gunning for them in all fairness. Will anyone dare deselect him in West Brom ?

Can see horse's heads turning up on Corbynites doorsteps..
    I hesitate to suggest that the Labour party needs to spend more time with its lawyers. But some of the activities of Momentum and other Jeremy Corbyn support groups appear, prima facie, to breach various provisions of the Companies Acts and the Data Protection Act. Some Labour leaning lawyer might want to advise the party.

• Options

HYUFD said:

A strong UKIP showing could damage Burnham, for absolutely sure, but I'm sure the Tory candidate would be so far behind Burnham that he/she would have no chance of sneaking through. But then, when you look at the polls, and if St Theresa can continue to work some miracles on Tory fortunes....?

Ex Tory councillor Susan (now Baroness) Williams who led the opposition to Labour's barmpot congestion charging scheme in Gtr Manchester, who fought for and won the right to a referendum which rejected the scheme by a massive majority, might have been a good choice, had she not been given a peerage when she narrowly failed to win Bolton West in 2010 (she's now a junior Home Office Minister)
    Tony Lloyd won the 2012 Gtr Manchester PCC election with more than half the vote and a lead of about 35%. Even given the swing in polling since then, a higher turnout and - in my opinion but clearly not that of the Labour members - a weaker candidate, I'd be very surprised if Burnham were to take less than 40% in the first round.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

That's not what it says: only 3% hold that opinion. Presumably the rest are don't knows or similar.
  • Options
    Dromedary said:

For some reason, the odds of Bernie Sanders winning the November election, in which he is not a candidate, have shortened a lot at Betfair. He can be backed at 70 now and laid at 80.

Of the Republican non-candidates who can be both backed and laid, Paul Ryan is at 120-140 and Michael Kasich 660-880.

If the election was tommorow I'd have my whole bank laying Bernie. Doubt he'll be 70-80 at the start of November though.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

OK, so I clearly wasn't thinking hard enough when I said it was hard to think of candidates who might be more useless than Simon :smiley:

Labour dodged a bullet there...
    Given the content of his talk, he could still stand for the conservatives ...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

That's not what it says: only 3% hold that opinion. Presumably the rest are don't knows or similar.
    Oh thank god

I didn't get further than the bar chart
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dromedary said:

If the election was tommorow I'd have my whole bank laying Bernie. Doubt he'll be 70-80 at the start of November though.

Is Michael Kasich John's brother :)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    dr_spyn said:

Why it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world... but for Manchester?

Burnham is certainly a 'man for all seasons'! :)
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    How much does the Mayoralty of Manchester pay?? Burnham is looking for the next gravy train ..
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    Scott_P said:

After Jimbo Murphy tried to have her candidacy for the NEC blocked, I don't suppose she feels terribly well disposed to that wing of the party. What's sauce for the chicken coopers etc.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Dadge said:

HIgh Sheriff?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    felix said:

Dadge said:

HIgh Sheriff?
    Cock of the North?
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    felix said:

Dadge said:

HIgh Sheriff?
    Cf Nottinghamshire?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Perhaps Jezza will try to have the last laugh on all of this. Promise to abolish these new UberMayors and thus send Burnham out of office and with no hope of a return to mainstream politics..

Even I might vote for that!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dromedary said:

Given how much we speculated here about the chances of either Trump or Clinton somehow not being nominated, what do we think are chances that either of them might be forced out before November?

There's already been plenty of crap thrown over both of them, and no doubt a load more of that to come between now and the election, as well as health rumours and the possibility of something tragic happening.

If we think it's more than a couple of percent chance, is it not therefore better to lay candidates rather than back their opponent, which would also cover the possibility of some unknown third person winning?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    taffys said:

'I see the corbyanistas are gunning for Watson.'

For all his faults, Tom Watson IS the labour party. For me, he embodies it. If he leaves, it ain't the labour party no more.

I initially read that as

Tom Watson....IS....the labour party.....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Dromedary said:

I meant John :)

In answer to the idea that if Pence takes over the Republican nomination he'll lose lots of Trump supporters: his popularity ratings are exceeding Trump's.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

Ah, it's OK - it turns out we are not members of the EU anyway. From the comments under the ES David Allen Green article by someone called Cashbackliz:

We are not actually in the EU legally as the monarch who signed the country in was already disqualified under S 1 & 2 of the Act of Settlement 1701 . She is forbidden from reconciling with the Church of Rome and all things papist, Britain has an embassy at the Vatican amongst other things like the queen taking Holy Communion at Vespers ( Catholic Church service) in 2005 and she first met Pope John in 1962 at the Vatican all of which are forbidden on the legally binding law which is actually the British Constitution as long as there is a Protestant Church and the monarchy. All Citizens are exempt from all allegiances with such a monarch, and the Act deems her as not having any regal powers, - powers to pass laws, collect taxes all the things that a monarch does. This means that the law which had a royal assent to join the EU was not legally binding.

Blimey, that makes my submission this morning look good.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Dromedary said:

Pulpstar said:

Dromedary said:

I meant John :)

In answer to the idea that if Pence takes over the Republican nomination he'll lose lots of Trump supporters: his popularity ratings are exceeding Trump's.
    Both Pence and Kaine at 1000.0 on Betfair. Can't quite understand why they are 1000 and Bernie is 70/80.

Have taken a fiver of each anyway.

I think in actuarial terms the bets make sense anyway.
  • Options
    @OliverCooper: Lord Mitchell, one of 3 Barons of Hampstead, has written in the Times that he'd quit Labour if Corbyn is re-elected. https://t.co/7aHdRvUeIS
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@OliverCooper: Lord Mitchell, one of 3 Barons of Hampstead, has written in the Times that he'd quit Labour if Corbyn is re-elected. https://t.co/7aHdRvUeIS

who?
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    deleted
  • Options
    "Baron of Hampstead" - Does that mean you have to get involved in anecdotes with Ed Miliband ?
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    edited August 2016
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Dromedary said:

Given how much we speculated here about the chances of either Trump or Clinton somehow not being nominated, what do we think are chances that either of them might be forced out before November?

There's already been plenty of crap thrown over both of them, and no doubt a load more of that to come between now and the election, as well as health rumours and the possibility of something tragic happening.

If we think it's more than a couple of percent chance, is it not therefore better to lay candidates rather than back their opponent, which would also cover the possibility of some unknown third person winning?
    Much less than one percent I would say. There's always the chance of the American pastime of assassination but that's the only way. Clinton appears physically fit despite the ravings of the far right conspiracy theorists and Trump can still string words together (even if they don't make any sense) so he's mentally capable enough to fight an election (again, despite the conspiracy theorists).
  • Options
    @tnewtondunn: A long time coming, but finally Jeremy Corbyn and Tom Watson have gone to war; https://t.co/KuVOyEm1Sf
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

"Baron of Hampstead" - Does that mean you have to get involved in anecdotes with Ed Miliband ?

Or George Michael.
  • Options
    Tom Watson's principle interest so far as I can tell has been advancing the cause of Tom Watson during his time in parliament.
  • Options
    Sadly, Paul Mason has denied the Staggers story linking him to the Leigh by-election, denying people hours of fun and laughter on social media.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: A long time coming, but finally Jeremy Corbyn and Tom Watson have gone to war; https://t.co/KuVOyEm1Sf

Kinder, gentler politics at work.
  • Options
    Thrak said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Dromedary said:

Much less than one percent I would say. There's always the chance of the American pastime of assassination but that's the only way. Clinton appears physically fit despite the ravings of the far right conspiracy theorists and Trump can still string words together (even if they don't make any sense) so he's mentally capable enough to fight an election (again, despite the conspiracy theorists).
    Yeah, I'm just paranoid I'm going to mess this up to some random event between now and Election Day!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Tom Watson's principle interest so far as I can tell has been advancing the cause of Tom Watson during his time in parliament.

OMG, it's like he's a politician...
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723

Sounds like the EU is the least of our concerns.
    We don't have to obey any laws enacted since 1962 or pay tax.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016
    You know, it's like the old story about the boiled frog. We're now so accustomed to the strangeness of Labour's internal politics, we've become inured to it.

One of the great political movements of this country is having some kind of bastard love-child of a nervous breakdown, a mid-life crisis and a religious revival. What the actual fuck.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Scott_P said:

@JeremyCliffe: Labour's leader, deputy, shadow chancellor, London & Bristol mayors and mayoral candidates for Manc, W Midlands and (prob) Liv: all men.

Yeah, but there are few ladies who can match Andy Burnham's eyelashes. :relaxed:
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

We are in the phoney war of Brexit at the moment.

Late Autumn/Spring next year is when it'll start to get fruity, with a burst of activity after the French/German elections.

Yes, this is very much the phoney war period.

The politics and actual mechanics of Brexit are horrendously complicated. What I hadn't fully appreciated until now is that, never mind negotiating with our 27 EU friends, we'll also need to negotiate a new status within the WTO - an organisation necessarily so sclerotic because of its 170 members that it makes the EU look like a model of quick decisiveness. The problem is that, although we are members of the WTO in our own right, all of the tariff schedules and other WTO arrangements we are currently signed up to will have to be re-negotiated because they exist only as part of our EU membership - and that's just to maintain the current trading position with non-EU countries. That includes negotiating with countries like Argentina which are not well-disposed towards us.

That is of course separate from the challenge of trying to do new trade deals, but interacts with it. For example, the EU-Korea trade deal contains a clause saying Korea can't grant more favourable terms to anyone else.

Overall, as the dust has settled after the referendum the challenge looks no easier than it did before. If anything, it looks worse as attention has belatedly begun to be given to what should actually happen.

I was looking at rebalancing my portfolio back towards the UK to take advantage of some of the price drops of UK-focused companies, which I'd thought were overdone. But, having looked a bit more at the detail, I've decided to do the opposite; the prospects for the UK over the next few years look pretty dire to me.
    You aren't very good on EU predictions though, are you Richard?

70:30 REMAIN?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,723
    Leigh by-election. I guess a Labour win is a foregone conclusion, who will come second?
  • Options
    @SophyRidgeSky: BREAK Ed Miliband backs Owen Smith for #LabourLeadership https://t.co/WpI0lhpWJ9
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Cyclefree: I've responded on your thread http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/08/07/going-back-to-your-roots-cyclefree-on-the-labour-leadership-contest/ as requested! Not put it here as I'm not sure that my views on this are especially interesting a few days later, but of course anyone interested is welcome to have a read.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SophyRidgeSky: BREAK Ed Miliband backs Owen Smith for #LabourLeadership https://t.co/WpI0lhpWJ9

If Corbyn wins...which he will...how can there not be a split now?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027

Sounds like the EU is the least of our concerns.
    We don't have to obey any laws enacted since 1962 or pay tax.
    In the 60’s & 70’s there were, in my constituency anyway, a number of elderly Nonconformist ladies who were very concerned at the prospect of signing up to the Treaty of Rome. We also had a candidate who worked for the EEC and they were also concerned that he might be a Catholic ...... working for Rome.
    He was in fact a Quaker!

I did think all those people had died by now, except in places like N Ireland!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016
    Scott_P said:

Much of Labour didn’t listen to Ed when he was leader, even fewer will be listening now.
  • Options

Leigh by-election. I guess a Labour win is a foregone conclusion, who will come second?

Fresh air :)
  • Options

If only these people bet.

@PCollinsTimes: This is because they expect Theresa May to be PM for so long that all her Tory rivals are finished. https://t.co/QfG370eW3u
  • Options
    Diane Abbott is on at 9-1 iirc.

9-2 is certainly too short.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited August 2016
    del
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Ah, Miliband. I'm sure he's a nice chap, but I'd only trust him to walk my dog because Meg would be there to keep an eye on him.
  • Options
    Stunned by this polling

By 49 point margin NC voters say they're less likely to vote for candidate perceived to be preferred by Russia: http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2016/08/clinton-leads-in-nc-for-first-time-since-march.html
  • Options
    runnymede said:

We are in the phoney war of Brexit at the moment.

Late Autumn/Spring next year is when it'll start to get fruity, with a burst of activity after the French/German elections.

Yes, this is very much the phoney war period.

The politics and actual mechanics of Brexit are horrendously complicated. What I hadn't fully appreciated until now is that, never mind negotiating with our 27 EU friends, we'll also need to negotiate a new status within the WTO - an organisation necessarily so sclerotic because of its 170 members that it makes the EU look like a model of quick decisiveness. The problem is that, although we are members of the WTO in our own right, all of the tariff schedules and other WTO arrangements we are currently signed up to will have to be re-negotiated because they exist only as part of our EU membership - and that's just to maintain the current trading position with non-EU countries. That includes negotiating with countries like Argentina which are not well-disposed towards us.

That is of course separate from the challenge of trying to do new trade deals, but interacts with it. For example, the EU-Korea trade deal contains a clause saying Korea can't grant more favourable terms to anyone else.

Overall, as the dust has settled after the referendum the challenge looks no easier than it did before. If anything, it looks worse as attention has belatedly begun to be given to what should actually happen.

I was looking at rebalancing my portfolio back towards the UK to take advantage of some of the price drops of UK-focused companies, which I'd thought were overdone. But, having looked a bit more at the detail, I've decided to do the opposite; the prospects for the UK over the next few years look pretty dire to me.
    You aren't very good on EU predictions though, are you Richard?
    70:30 REMAIN?
    Has he ever acknowledged this? Whatever happened to humble pie?
This discussion has been closed.