Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour chooses an Everton fan to be its candidate for Mayor

Comments

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

RobD said:

If true, Boris, DD and Fox need to start grovelling to Norway. The 'Norway Model' was a key element of Leave's propaganda. If that goes down the pan then we're seriously entitled to question the judgement of those who so confidently advocated it. The implication was that EFTA was in the bag and we just had to post the application.

There are two separate parts: EFTA and the EEA. To join EFTA we'd need the unanimous consent of the existing four members. To modify the EEA treaties to transfer from being EU members to non-EU members we'd need the unanimous consent of the three EEA/EFTA countries plus the EU27.

In addition, to re-work our WTO membership to separate our position from that of the EU we'll need to work through the WTO processes, involving 160 countries.

Lord only knows how Theresa May and her band can untangle that lot in any reasonable timescale.
    Do you have a link to a discussion on the WTO issue? I don't think it was raised once during the campaign when it would have been quite relevant.
    I think the Remain campaign has now shifted gear from voting to leave the EU is unthinkable (wrong answer: please re-run the vote) to acknowledging the referendum result, but pointing out that leaving the EU is practically impossible, so we may as well stay or as good as.
    Thats them just moving on to the next stage of grief. Now some have moved to negotiation. Some of course are still trapped in anger or even denial. Most will get to acceptance in due course, but a very few probably never will, they are to be pitied, because they will live out the rest of their lives trapped in emotions they can't understand or control.
    Of course if Remain HAD won the Leavers would have accepted it with a good grace and gone quiet. Just like they did last time, eh?
    I dunno, Mr. Cole. Personally, and I said this on here before the vote, I would have carried on quietly and gently arguing for out in the same way I had for twenty years or so. However, to answer your point, the question of grief would not have arisen - there would have been no death, no fundamental change.

Some posters on here, and I mention no names, seem to be struggling to cope with the fact that they were so wrong in their predictions and what that means for their view of how the world works. Sad really.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,602

runnymede said:

We are in the phoney war of Brexit at the moment.

Late Autumn/Spring next year is when it'll start to get fruity, with a burst of activity after the French/German elections.

Yes, this is very much the phoney war period.

The politics and actual mechanics of Brexit are horrendously complicated. What I hadn't fully appreciated until now is that, never mind negotiating with our 27 EU friends, we'll also need to negotiate a new status within the WTO - an organisation necessarily so sclerotic because of its 170 members that it makes the EU look like a model of quick decisiveness. The problem is that, although we are members of the WTO in our own right, all of the tariff schedules and other WTO arrangements we are currently signed up to will have to be re-negotiated because they exist only as part of our EU membership - and that's just to maintain the current trading position with non-EU countries. That includes negotiating with countries like Argentina which are not well-disposed towards us.

That is of course separate from the challenge of trying to do new trade deals, but interacts with it. For example, the EU-Korea trade deal contains a clause saying Korea can't grant more favourable terms to anyone else.

Overall, as the dust has settled after the referendum the challenge looks no easier than it did before. If anything, it looks worse as attention has belatedly begun to be given to what should actually happen.

I was looking at rebalancing my portfolio back towards the UK to take advantage of some of the price drops of UK-focused companies, which I'd thought were overdone. But, having looked a bit more at the detail, I've decided to do the opposite; the prospects for the UK over the next few years look pretty dire to me.
    You aren't very good on EU predictions though, are you Richard?
    70:30 REMAIN?
    Has he ever acknowledged this? Whatever happened to humble pie?
    He acknowledged it this morning when people reposted it. Several times.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    It polls like these that make me wonder what is going on in the USA:

N.Carolina PPP

Hillary 47
    Trump 46

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2016/08/clinton-leads-in-nc-for-first-time-since-march.html

Georgia is now voting way to the left of N.Carolina according to the polls.

N.Carolina joins a list of states with minimum movement (5% or less) against Trump, others include Florida, Arizona and Nevada.

On the other hand Missouri joins the list of states with record movement (10% or more) against Trump, others include Virginia, N.H., Georgia and Pennsylvania.

A very divergent picture, but if Trump is losing Georgia and Pennsylvania it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,436

RobD said:

Dadge said:

Shouldn't the leader of a regional or county authority be called something other than "mayor"? It seems like yet another politically-motivated stretching of the English language. People would think you were an idiot if you said you were the mayor of Hertfordshire.

Maybe something like Governor
    How about Duke?
    Marquis for Manchester and Baron for Birmingham.
    There is a Duke of Manchester and, as a subsidiary title, an earldom. No marquessate though (it'd be marquess in England; marquis is used in Scotland, France and so on).

No Baron Birmingham either (nor, unless 'Birmingham' were the surname, would there be: it'd be Baron X, of Birmingham.

Sorry to go all Jack W.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,128

Remain told us that only 6% of our laws came from the EU so that should not take long to correct.

We're barely going to have any of our laws changed on the day we formally leave the EU. We have taken on 10,000s of pages of legislation, mostly related to product specifications, and much of which is derived from WTO and other supranational bodies.

Our laws will diverge from the EU's over a matter of decades, but we'll still be enacting a lot of the more technical stuff - either because we're members of the EEA, or - more likely - because they are WTO in origin.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010

Mr. N., if you are talking about the decision to have a think about Hinkley Point, then TM was in my view absolutely correct, and if that pisses off the Chinese well, such is life and that is what the FCO is for.

The Hinkley Point project is in my view an abomination at every level. I hope HMG scraps it.

Yes, I was referring to that.

My point wasn't so much about the substance of the decision, but the manner of it. Announcing the delay at the last possible moment as the Chinese big-wigs were on their way to the celebratory shindig looked like deliberate rudeness, calculated to humiliate them. I don't think that was very clever.
    Breaking up is always tough, but you need to be prepared to make that phone call at some point.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    rcs1000 said:

Totally off-topic: Bloomberg has a big article today about what the other 27 EU countries want from Brexit negotiations.

I was amused to discover that - apparently - the Austrians are opposed to us subsidising Hinckley Point.

Me too.

The Austrians raised objections to Hinckley Point arrangements some weeks ago.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,174
    Speedy said:

N.Carolina PPP

Hillary 47
    Trump 46

When things stabilise and Trump recovers in these states the net result could simply be that Hillary piles up votes in places that won't help her while falling behind in places she needs.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:

Mr. N., if you are talking about the decision to have a think about Hinkley Point, then TM was in my view absolutely correct, and if that pisses off the Chinese well, such is life and that is what the FCO is for.

The Hinkley Point project is in my view an abomination at every level. I hope HMG scraps it.

My point wasn't so much about the substance of the decision, but the manner of it. Announcing the delay at the last possible moment as the Chinese big-wigs were on their way to the celebratory shindig looked like deliberate rudeness, calculated to humiliate them. I don't think that was very clever.
    Breaking up is always tough, but you need to be prepared to make that phone call at some point.
    Yeah, but there could have been a discreet phone call a couple of weeks before saying that, whatever the EDF decision, there'd be a delay at our end.
  • Options

EDF and the Chinese had advance notice of the UK government decision and the Chinese were not on their way according to the Chinese. A media myth.
  • Options
    Hillary's post convention bounce is fading according to Gallup:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/189299/presidential-election-2016-key-indicators.aspx?g_source=ELECTION_2016&g_medium=topic&g_campaign=tiles

She is down by 4 among democrats and 4 among all adults from her peak, but Trump has fallen 5 points from his peak among all adults and 6 among republicans.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Anyway, the answer is simple: move into (or in my case, stay in) US-dollar denominated assets and income streams, especially since the risk of President Trump seems to be receding.

You mean you've filled your swimming pool with Brent Crude?
    :lol:
  • Options

Speedy said:

N.Carolina PPP

Hillary 47
    Trump 46

When things stabilise and Trump recovers in these states the net result could simply be that Hillary piles up votes in places that won't help her while falling behind in places she needs.
    That, surely, is Trump's (theoretical) path to the Presidency.

The problem is that it's a very narrow path, because of the risk of falling back in the South: Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada. If he loses three of those four, he's going to really struggle to get to 270.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    perdix said:

rcs1000 said:

Totally off-topic: Bloomberg has a big article today about what the other 27 EU countries want from Brexit negotiations.

I was amused to discover that - apparently - the Austrians are opposed to us subsidising Hinckley Point.

Me too.

Another reason to get out of the EU ;)
  • Options

felix said:

Dadge said:

Shouldn't the leader of a regional or county authority be called something other than "mayor"? It seems like yet another politically-motivated stretching of the English language. People would think you were an idiot if you said you were the mayor of Hertfordshire.

HIgh Sheriff?
    Governor?
    Leader.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756

felix said:

Dadge said:

HIgh Sheriff?
    Governor?
    Leader.
    Mancaraja
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,436
    RobD said:

RobD said:

If true, Boris, DD and Fox need to start grovelling to Norway. The 'Norway Model' was a key element of Leave's propaganda. If that goes down the pan then we're seriously entitled to question the judgement of those who so confidently advocated it. The implication was that EFTA was in the bag and we just had to post the application.

There are two separate parts: EFTA and the EEA. To join EFTA we'd need the unanimous consent of the existing four members. To modify the EEA treaties to transfer from being EU members to non-EU members we'd need the unanimous consent of the three EEA/EFTA countries plus the EU27.

In addition, to re-work our WTO membership to separate our position from that of the EU we'll need to work through the WTO processes, involving 160 countries.

Lord only knows how Theresa May and her band can untangle that lot in any reasonable timescale.
    Do you have a link to a discussion on the WTO issue? I don't think it was raised once during the campaign when it would have been quite relevant.
    I think the Remain campaign has now shifted gear from voting to leave the EU is unthinkable (wrong answer: please re-run the vote) to acknowledging the referendum result, but pointing out that leaving the EU is practically impossible, so we may as well stay or as good as.
    Thats them just moving on to the next stage of grief. Now some have moved to negotiation. Some of course are still trapped in anger or even denial. Most will get to acceptance in due course, but a very few probably never will, they are to be pitied, because they will live out the rest of their lives trapped in emotions they can't understand or control.
    Of course if Remain HAD won the Leavers would have accepted it with a good grace and gone quiet. Just like they did last time, eh?
    To be fair it was another 40 years before another vote on the matter!
    It was 41 years before there was another referendum but there were plenty of votes in between, through the more usual medium of general elections, most notably the 1983 election where Labour was committed to withdrawal.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

PeterC said:

Norway may block UK return to European Free Trade Association

Norwegian politicians to meet UK’s Brexit minister amid concerns allowing Britain to rejoin will shift balance of organisation

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/09/norway-may-block-uk-return-to-european-free-trade-association?CMP=twt_gu

Was it? I thought the idea was to leave the single market and seek a UK/EU FTA.
    They had no idea at all they were prepared to commit to. Nor do they now. Do you think Theresa May would be going around parroting "Brexit means Brexit" if she had the slightest INKLING what Brexit does actually mean?

No one can know what Brexit means until negotiations with other countries is complete. Brexit terms are not in our gift.
  • Options
    John Nicloson
    Scotland most atheist part of the British Isles. What an astonishing shift. Results closely mirror Scandinavia. https://t.co/u8ubBh8iWQ
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Interesting that the Conservative Party, of which you if I remember, have been a long term supporter, has now become "Theresa May and her band".

Well, I've never made any secret of the fact that I don't rate Liam Fox, DD or Boris. None of them seems to me to be well qualified or have the right temperament for this incredibly difficult task.

I very much supported Theresa May as leader, but she's got a near-impossible job. I've also been a bit dismayed by some of her early decisions - at a time when we desperately need to build international alliances, was it really a good idea to piss off the Chinese so rudely, for example? We'll see how things turn out, but I'm not optimistic.

Hinkley point

- Environmental risk, Tick
    - Security risk, Tick
    - More expensive than alternatives, Tick
    - Vanity project, Tick

Shall I put you down as Undecided, then?
  • Options
    BoothmanBoothman Posts: 13
    Why would the voters of Greater Manchester give a monkeys about who their mayoral candidates supported? Do you suppose we have nothing else that matters to us, or simply that we're so ignorant that we'd think being an Everton fan made someone unfit for office?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited August 2016
    Pulpstar said:

When does Peak Hillary arrive ?

I reckon just before the debates.

Peak Hillary was in 1953.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    PlatoSaid said:

John Nicloson
    Scotland most atheist part of the British Isles. What an astonishing shift. Results closely mirror Scandinavia. https://t.co/u8ubBh8iWQ

I thought they were SNPists.

That's a religion - right?

• Options

Speedy said:

N.Carolina PPP

Hillary 47
    Trump 46

So far she is pilling up votes were she needs (Pennsylvania) and in unexpected places (Georgia, Missouri) while not gaining much traction in unexpected places (Florida, N.C. Nevada)

She has a net gain so far, if Trump can't win Pennsylvania or loses Georgia it doesn't matter if he wins Florida or N.C.

For Trump to win he needs to win all Romney states plus Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
    Or replace Pennsylvania with Nevada, Iowa, N.H and Maine.

Both approaches are currently blocked.
  • Options

felix said:

Dadge said:

HIgh Sheriff?
    Governor?
    Regional Governor, surely? :D
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    RobD said:

perdix said:

rcs1000 said:

Me too.

Austria would probably object to France subsidising EDF to build HPC. So leaving the EU might make no difference.

Austria built a nuclear plant in 1978 and then mothballed it after a nationwide referendum. It's very anti-nuclear and will probably do all it can to block nuclear development elsewhere in Europe. So for that matter would Ireland which once sued the UK for the pollution of the Irish Sea, although it lost the case.

The real problem is that EDF still doesn't know if HPC would work. (The equivalent reactors in France and Finland don't.) According to Private Eye, EDF is still designing HPC and may be relieved that HM government didn't impose a penalty clause for non-performance (i.e., EDF could just walk away if the plant never generated electricity.)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634

Pulpstar said:

Yeah, but there could have been a discreet phone call a couple of weeks before saying that, whatever the EDF decision, there'd be a delay at our end.
    The Chinese delegation cancelled their trip to sign the contract in advance of the government's announcement so they must have been given a heads up. Hinkley is a bad deal and I'm glad that the current government might pull the plug. CCGTs please.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

John Nicloson

While I do rate him quite highly, why is his names in all caps? :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

PlatoSaid said:

John Nicloson

While I do rate him quite highly, why is his names in all caps? :D
    DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM? :wink:
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

70:30
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

There is a Duke of Manchester and, as a subsidiary title, an earldom. No marquessate though (it'd be marquess in England; marquis is used in Scotland, France and so on).

No Baron Birmingham either (nor, unless 'Birmingham' were the surname, would there be: it'd be Baron X, of Birmingham.

Sorry to go all Jack W.

Marquis in Scotland is only used for some of the pre 1707 peerages.

Not sorry at all to go all JackW .... :smile:

• Options

I have no idea about the entertainment arrangements but the decision as to whether the project designed to produce 7% of the UK's electricity was made the day before in a foreign city. Furthermore it was by no means certain that the French, government-owned company, would actually agree to fork out the cash, given that they have yet to build such a nuclear plant to spec on time and on budget (how is that one in Finland getting on?).

If the French had chosen not to go ahead with the project then that would have been it. Stone dead, no need for HMG to do anything. From the view of HMG it probably looked like the Frogs would see sense, so why make an announcement, why do anything.?

Then the French announced that in the face of all arguments that they were prepared to go ahead with a project that would hurt them but hurt the hated English more and benefit the Chinese.

What sane UK PM would not have said, "Hang on, I think we need have a time for reflection"?
  • Options

I have no idea about the entertainment arrangements but the decision as to whether the project designed to produce 7% of the UK's electricity was made the day before in a foreign city. Furthermore it was by no means certain that the French, government-owned company, would actually agree to fork out the cash, given that they have yet to build such a nuclear plant to spec on time and on budget (how is that one in Finland getting on?).

If the French had chosen not to go ahead with the project then that would have been it. Stone dead, no need for HMG to do anything. From the view of HMG it probably looked like the Frogs would see sense, so why make an announcement, why do anything.?

Then the French announced that in the face of all arguments that they were prepared to go ahead with a project that would hurt them but hurt the hated English more and benefit the Chinese.

What sane UK PM would not have said, "Hang on, I think we need have a time for reflection"?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

If the EFTA thing falls through and we're left high and dry, how long before a sizeable section of Tory MPs get cold feet and start agitating for a delay and a rethink? It's one thing to advocate leaving the EU in abstract; quite another when the living standards of your constituents are plummeting and you've got a seat to retain. As we saw with lots of Ozzy's tax reforms, many Tory MPs turn out to be gutless wonders when it gets too close to home. Interesting to see how they carry on when the Brexit honeymoon is over.

The reek of desperation is a pathetic sight.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    MP_SE said:

If the EFTA thing falls through and we're left high and dry, how long before a sizeable section of Tory MPs get cold feet and start agitating for a delay and a rethink? It's one thing to advocate leaving the EU in abstract; quite another when the living standards of your constituents are plummeting and you've got a seat to retain. As we saw with lots of Ozzy's tax reforms, many Tory MPs turn out to be gutless wonders when it gets too close to home. Interesting to see how they carry on when the Brexit honeymoon is over.

It certainly is/
  • Options

RobD said:

perdix said:

rcs1000 said:

Me too.

Austria would probably object to France subsidising EDF to build HPC. So leaving the EU might make no difference.

Austria built a nuclear plant in 1978 and then mothballed it after a nationwide referendum. It's very anti-nuclear and will probably do all it can to block nuclear development elsewhere in Europe. So for that matter would Ireland which once sued the UK for the pollution of the Irish Sea, although it lost the case.

The real problem is that EDF still doesn't know if HPC would work. (The equivalent reactors in France and Finland don't.) According to Private Eye, EDF is still designing HPC and may be relieved that HM government didn't impose a penalty clause for non-performance (i.e., EDF could just walk away if the plant never generated electricity.)
    Hinkley Point won't work, it's scientifically and practically impossible, it would bankrupt EDF and force the British government to bail it out (hence their demand for huge government subsidies for at least the next 35 years).

It's better to build many small power plants than a single large one, for if the large one is incapacitated you are stuffed.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

It's a 'Brexit honeymoon' now is it? That's a new one!
  • Options

It is sad that we no longer have the ability to build those things on our own. I guess that's what you get for not building any in several decades...
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,732
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

The Chinese delegation cancelled their trip to sign the contract in advance of the government's announcement so they must have been given a heads up. Hinkley is a bad deal and I'm glad that the current government might pull the plug. CCGTs please.
    Maybe, but Tidal Lagoons too.
  • Options
    This is hilarious

Amazing footage from 1971 of a BBC journalist pinching men's bottoms in the street, in the name of sexual equality. https://t.co/hD6a82L1WM
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. D, didn't early New Labour close down the UK firm that did that? West Something?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

This is hilarious

Amazing footage from 1971 of a BBC journalist pinching men's bottoms in the street, in the name of sexual equality. https://t.co/hD6a82L1WM

May seem silly now, but it probably helped nudge a few people in the right direction (that pinching bottoms is generally not okay!)
  • Options

Mr. D, didn't early New Labour close down the UK firm that did that? West Something?

Westinghouse? Looking on their wikipedia article can't see any indication it was shutdown by the government. Wouldn't surprise me though :D
  • Options

MP_SE said:

It's a 'Brexit honeymoon' now is it? That's a new one!
    You mean you don't want to honeymoon in a desolate nuclear wasteland? You don't know what you are missing...
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sorry to go all Jack W.

Marquis in Scotland is only used for some of the pre 1707 peerages.

Not sorry at all to go all JackW .... :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-n_zk7e0ZU
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:
    I give it no more than three weeks before it resigns. :)
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,811

Although I think Hinkley Point is a basket case, and also note that the government hasn't actually canned the project, I think there is a potential act of bad faith here. Theresa May waited until the French side had made their own difficult decision on what was an agreed deal, only for Mrs May to pull the rug out from under them once she had got their sign-off. It doesn't encourage people to see Britain as a reliable partner.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    rcs1000 said:

Norway may block UK return to European Free Trade Association

Norwegian politicians to meet UK’s Brexit minister amid concerns allowing Britain to rejoin will shift balance of organisation

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/09/norway-may-block-uk-return-to-european-free-trade-association?CMP=twt_gu

There will certainly be politicians in each of the EFTA countries that will be concerned that the UK might dominate it if it rejoined.

But there will also be others who will be pleased that the UK might give it far greater profile, negotiating weight and access to emerging markets.
    I think the big concern from the EFTA countries is that we are just planning to use them as a stepping stone. That is, we don't really want to join them, we're just planning to temporarily be a member until we've got some deals with the rest of the world.

I can understand that concern, but I don't think that need be a problem. As Switzerland has shown, EFTA doesn't really tie your hands as far as negotitaitons with the rest of the world. I guess their concern would be that we wouldn't be interested in the EFTA-Canada trade deal and the like.
    Reading between the lines of that article, it becomes clear what this is really all about. The pro-EU elite in Norway are worried that the UK joining EFTA will open the way to Norway and the other EFTA states renegotiating the EEA treaty in an advantageous way (as the Icelanders and some other Norwegian parties have already openly said).

That would make the long-term plan the EU has (and which the pro-EU faction in Norway support) to collapse the EEA states into 'associate EU members' unviable.

Worse still, a better EEA might attract other new members...
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Although I think Hinkley Point is a basket case, and also note that the government hasn't actually canned the project, I think there is a potential act of bad faith here. Theresa May waited until the French side had made their own difficult decision on what was an agreed deal, only for Mrs May to pull the rug out from under them once she had got their sign-off. It doesn't encourage people to see Britain as a reliable partner.
    As I understand it, a final sign off by HMG was required. Hardly pulling the rug out from under them, but exercising the right to say no up until the deal is done.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It is sad that we no longer have the ability to build those things on our own. I guess that's what you get for not building any in several decades...
    But you don't need them any more.
    Other forms of energy have become cheaper and safer since the 1980's, and more mass produced.

If nuclear power was that cheap or safe you would see businesses make nuclear powered laptops by now instead of solar powered ones.

You would see every corner drug store selling plutonium by 1985 to produce 1.21 gigawatts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-77xulkB_U
  • Options
    Speedy said:

If nuclear power was that cheap or safe you would see businesses make nuclear powered laptops by now instead of solar powered ones.

You had me up until this point!
  • Options
    Just an aside, but Japan have beaten New Zealand at the Olympics rugby (sevens).

At this rate the Japanese will end up winning their own World Cup :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

I've got a solar powered external battery for my laptop or mobile phone in case I go camping.
  • Options

Point of order: EDF is not building the Finnish plant, that is being built by Areva for the Finnish power company. (Fortum? I forget my Nordic power companies sometimes...)
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

I've got a solar powered external battery for my laptop or mobile phone in case I go camping.
    More to do with your argument that we don't have nuclear power laptops therefore it shouldn't be part of the UKs energy mix. I wonder how many solar panels would be required to provide 8% of the UKs electricity?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,927
    Any sign of Owen Who calling off his leadership "challenge" and going back to complete obscurity? ;)
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Here today, gone to marrow.
  • Options
    Mr. Gin, Owen Myth will never yield!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/newsinbrie/status/762980746436997120

Your coat, sir.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

More to do with your argument that we don't have nuclear power laptops therefore it shouldn't be part of the UKs energy mix. I wonder how many solar panels would be required to provide 8% of the UKs electricity?
    Many, but no one would be able to destroy them all.

If Hinkley Point fails or is incapacitated there goes 7% of the power supply in one hit, plus potential radiation clouds drifting over the country.
  • Options

All solar power is nuclear...

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Hillary somewhere:
    "Just as this race seems other, they keep pulling me back in"

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/763045329197490176
    https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/763037851487309824

Now where is Y0kel, to tell about any plans to get rid of Hillary.
  • Options

Nucular!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoASZyihalc
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

They're increasingly common: in a couple of years time laptops and tablets will have integrated solar panels, and while it won't be enough to power them on their own, it will allow them to be trickle recharged and to last longer between plug visits.

(Amazon is about to launch a solar cover for the the Kindle Oasis, which will give it 'infinite' capacity.)
  • Options
    Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

Many, but no one would be able to destroy them all.

If Hinkley Point fails or is incapacitated there goes 7% of the power supply in one hit, plus potential radiation clouds drifting over the country.
    The argument about supply being cut out goes for any power plant. You could even knock out the national grid without touching any of the power plants. Neither of these things has happened yet, so the risk is small.

The concern about a catastrophic disaster is a valid one, but one which is massively overplayed.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

They're increasingly common: in a couple of years time laptops and tablets will have integrated solar panels, and while it won't be enough to power them on their own, it will allow them to be trickle recharged and to last longer between plug visits.

(Amazon is about to launch a solar cover for the the Kindle Oasis, which will give it 'infinite' capacity.)
    I used to have a solar powered calculator.
  • Options

The better kind!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Hillary somewhere:

"Stronger Together" - shades of REMAIN?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The government always had final say, the French and Chinese should have seen it coming as soon as Osborne was booted out of government, Hinkley has very little support at the prices agreed. If the government is able to negotiate a 50% reduction in the strike price it might go ahead with less opposition.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/newsinbrie/status/762980746436997120

Your coat, sir.
    Seconded :lol:
  • Options

Speedy said:

Hillary somewhere:

Obama's election strategist was lended to Cameron to help Remain, so no surprise if the same man thought of the same slogan.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Hillary somewhere:

Obama's election strategist was lended to Cameron to help Remain, so no surprise if the same man thought of the same slogan.
    Speaking of which, I wonder when the Obama effect will kick in? Soon do you think?
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Speedy said:

Hillary somewhere:

Is it me or does that trouser suit make her look like she just escaped from Gitmo?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,057
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

N.Carolina PPP

Hillary 47
    Trump 46

So far she is pilling up votes were she needs (Pennsylvania) and in unexpected places (Georgia, Missouri) while not gaining much traction in unexpected places (Florida, N.C. Nevada)

She has a net gain so far, if Trump can't win Pennsylvania or loses Georgia it doesn't matter if he wins Florida or N.C.

For Trump to win he needs to win all Romney states plus Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
    Or replace Pennsylvania with Nevada, Iowa, N.H and Maine.

Both approaches are currently blocked.
    She is doing better than Obama in North Carolina, and in fact she is probably in the lead there, which Obama '12 of course wasn't. She leads in most N.C. polls by an insignificant margin, both before and after her convention. The situation for Mr Trump is negative but redeemable if he could win a mix of those two bunches of extra states.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

Have you seen the flexible solar film? It looks like something that could be used on top of accessories with a capacitor and ower transformer system in built to power phones and other devices.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Hillary somewhere:

Vote Trump, take control ?
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

I used to have a calculator with 4 functions AND a square root facility. - Cost £10.00, sometime in 1975. A Brother.

My friend had one that when 0/0 was entered just had the numbers whizzing round and another had a Sinclair Cambridge - as usual from Sinclair totally impracticable - and when I got to College the Sidney Sussex Library had one using reverse Polish Logic! Try explaining to a non-mathematician how that worked!
  • Options
    Pew Research
    ICYMI: Can polls be trusted? Read our July essay discussing the state of polling. https://t.co/kohbpboQmz
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

We have a superb low-tech solar clothes drying system - a washing line

• Options
    AFP
    German special forces arrest suspect member of IS group, citing threat to opening game of #Bundesliga championship https://t.co/WCcSLwEEdv

Golly, he's a Syrian refugee
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,328
    edited August 2016

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

Wind and solar surely..
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,326
    weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

I used to have a calculator with 4 functions AND a square root facility. - Cost £10.00, sometime in 1975. A Brother.

My friend had one that when 0/0 was entered just had the numbers whizzing round and another had a Sinclair Cambridge - as usual from Sinclair totally impracticable - and when I got to College the Sidney Sussex Library had one using reverse Polish Logic! Try explaining to a non-mathematician how that worked!
    Ah, reverse polish! Got one on my desk right here - last a lifetime because the fewer key strokes needed give less wear and tear.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

AFP
    German special forces arrest suspect member of IS group, citing threat to opening game of #Bundesliga championship https://t.co/WCcSLwEEdv

Known locally as Dave?
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

AFP

"Terrorists welcome"
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,480
    Well well a transparently political lawsuit. Wonders never cease...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37025198
  • Options

Speedy said:

Hillary somewhere:

Is it me or does that trouser suit make her look like she just escaped from Gitmo?
    "Orange is the New Black" ;)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    PlatoSaid said:

John Nicloson

As with Wales. Over a generation, Nonconformism has collapsed in Wales and Church of Scotland membership has collapsed North of the Border. Yet, historically the most secular part of the UK, London, has seen attendances surge.
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

AFP

Known locally as Dave?
    Alright, Rodney?
  • Options

Speedy said:

Hillary somewhere:

It does... Maybe she's just trolling Republicans who were calling for her to be put in an orange jumpsuit.

The story about the Orlando shooters dad endorsing her is weird. His homophobia was probably a contributing factor in his son becoming so messed up.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

I remember programming in Forth back in the day. Mind you, I've always sought out opportunities to use exotic languages. APL is not for the fainthearted, though I draw the line at Brainfuck.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

John Nicloson

As with Wales. Over a generation, Nonconformism has collapsed in Wales and Church of Scotland membership has collapsed North of the Border. Yet, historically the most secular part of the UK, London, has seen attendances surge.
    It's probably a reflection of where recent immigration is highest.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139

PlatoSaid said:

John Nicloson

Surely on here they refer to it as a cult
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Mike ... you have such a dry sense of humour ....

• Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    malcolmg said:

PlatoSaid said:

John Nicloson

Surely on here they refer to it as a cult
    Give or take a letter.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

John Nicloson

It's probably a reflection of where recent immigration is highest.

The Catholic churches in Hereford are going gangbusters.
  • Options

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

Ah, reverse polish! Got one on my desk right here - last a lifetime because the fewer key strokes needed give less wear and tear.

no-one it understands but

• Options
    edited August 2016

PlatoSaid said:

AFP

Known locally as Dave?
    His Identity, nationality and religious persuasion has not been revealed. We won’t know much more about him until someone has linked him to Anders Breivik…
  • Options
    Mr. Quidder, SNPers here can be quite curt, but that's true of lots of PBers.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Ed McMullin just 1000/1 on betfair to be next President.

This discussion has been closed.