Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Labour chooses an Everton fan to be its candidate for Mayor

1235»

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    runnymede said:

rcs1000 said:

Norway may block UK return to European Free Trade Association

Norwegian politicians to meet UK’s Brexit minister amid concerns allowing Britain to rejoin will shift balance of organisation

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/09/norway-may-block-uk-return-to-european-free-trade-association?CMP=twt_gu

There will certainly be politicians in each of the EFTA countries that will be concerned that the UK might dominate it if it rejoined.

But there will also be others who will be pleased that the UK might give it far greater profile, negotiating weight and access to emerging markets.
    I think the big concern from the EFTA countries is that we are just planning to use them as a stepping stone. That is, we don't really want to join them, we're just planning to temporarily be a member until we've got some deals with the rest of the world.

I can understand that concern, but I don't think that need be a problem. As Switzerland has shown, EFTA doesn't really tie your hands as far as negotitaitons with the rest of the world. I guess their concern would be that we wouldn't be interested in the EFTA-Canada trade deal and the like.
    Reading between the lines of that article, it becomes clear what this is really all about. The pro-EU elite in Norway are worried that the UK joining EFTA will open the way to Norway and the other EFTA states renegotiating the EEA treaty in an advantageous way (as the Icelanders and some other Norwegian parties have already openly said).

That would make the long-term plan the EU has (and which the pro-EU faction in Norway support) to collapse the EEA states into 'associate EU members' unviable.

Worse still, a better EEA might attract other new members...
    Precisely.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

John Nicloson
    Scotland most atheist part of the British Isles. What an astonishing shift. Results closely mirror Scandinavia. https://t.co/u8ubBh8iWQ

As with Wales. Over a generation, Nonconformism has collapsed in Wales and Church of Scotland membership has collapsed North of the Border. Yet, historically the most secular part of the UK, London, has seen attendances surge.
    It's probably a reflection of where recent immigration is highest.

Partly, but there seems to be a big cultural shift in Scotland and Wales . They've gone from being far more religious than England to less religious, very swiftly. And in London, immigration of foreign Christians is outweighed by emigration of native Christians.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

If nuclear power was that cheap or safe you would see businesses make nuclear powered laptops by now instead of solar powered ones.

You had me up until this point!
    I've got a solar powered external battery for my laptop or mobile phone in case I go camping.
    They're increasingly common: in a couple of years time laptops and tablets will have integrated solar panels, and while it won't be enough to power them on their own, it will allow them to be trickle recharged and to last longer between plug visits.

(Amazon is about to launch a solar cover for the the Kindle Oasis, which will give it 'infinite' capacity.)
    I used to have a solar powered calculator.
    I used to have a calculator with 4 functions AND a square root facility. - Cost £10.00, sometime in 1975. A Brother.

My friend had one that when 0/0 was entered just had the numbers whizzing round and another had a Sinclair Cambridge - as usual from Sinclair totally impracticable - and when I got to College the Sidney Sussex Library had one using reverse Polish Logic! Try explaining to a non-mathematician how that worked!
    Ah, reverse polish! Got one on my desk right here - last a lifetime because the fewer key strokes needed give less wear and tear.

no-one it understands but

I vaguely remember the Forth programming language, which used Polish Reverse.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,048
    Can a more skilful punter please help me understand how Corbyn Next PM is much more expensive than Labour Most Seats Next GE? 11/2 versus 3/1 at some bookies. Is it that there is about a 10% implied probability of Corbyn or May being replaced before the next election?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

John Nicloson
    Scotland most atheist part of the British Isles. What an astonishing shift. Results closely mirror Scandinavia. https://t.co/u8ubBh8iWQ

As with Wales. Over a generation, Nonconformism has collapsed in Wales and Church of Scotland membership has collapsed North of the Border. Yet, historically the most secular part of the UK, London, has seen attendances surge.

Partly, but there seems to be a big cultural shift in Scotland and Wales . They've gone from being far more religious than England to less religious, very swiftly. And in London, immigration of foreign Christians is outweighed by emigration of native Christians.
    these immigrants come from less enlightened parts - perhaps by them expanding their minds over here they will soon get bored of religion as we have.

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,048
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

John Nicloson

One very small caveat is that Scotland's Census asks what religion or denomination people belong to, whereas the England and Wales Census asks what is your religion.

It could be argued that the first question discourages those with marginal attachment from identifying with a religion, whereas the second one accommodates them.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,753

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

If nuclear power was that cheap or safe you would see businesses make nuclear powered laptops by now instead of solar powered ones.

I've got a solar powered external battery for my laptop or mobile phone in case I go camping.
    They're increasingly common: in a couple of years time laptops and tablets will have integrated solar panels, and while it won't be enough to power them on their own, it will allow them to be trickle recharged and to last longer between plug visits.

(Amazon is about to launch a solar cover for the the Kindle Oasis, which will give it 'infinite' capacity.)
    We have a superb low-tech solar clothes drying system - a washing line

Combined solar and wind powered, indeed...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    runnymede said:

rcs1000 said:

Norwegian politicians to meet UK’s Brexit minister amid concerns allowing Britain to rejoin will shift balance of organisation

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/09/norway-may-block-uk-return-to-european-free-trade-association?CMP=twt_gu

There will certainly be politicians in each of the EFTA countries that will be concerned that the UK might dominate it if it rejoined.

But there will also be others who will be pleased that the UK might give it far greater profile, negotiating weight and access to emerging markets.
    I think the big concern from the EFTA countries is that we are just planning to use them as a stepping stone. That is, we don't really want to join them, we're just planning to temporarily be a member until we've got some deals with the rest of the world.

I can understand that concern, but I don't think that need be a problem. As Switzerland has shown, EFTA doesn't really tie your hands as far as negotitaitons with the rest of the world. I guess their concern would be that we wouldn't be interested in the EFTA-Canada trade deal and the like.
    Reading between the lines of that article, it becomes clear what this is really all about. The pro-EU elite in Norway are worried that the UK joining EFTA will open the way to Norway and the other EFTA states renegotiating the EEA treaty in an advantageous way (as the Icelanders and some other Norwegian parties have already openly said).

That would make the long-term plan the EU has (and which the pro-EU faction in Norway support) to collapse the EEA states into 'associate EU members' unviable.

The Norwegian PM has said there will be no EFTA deal with the UK before the terms of Brexit are agreed anyway, so membership of EFTA is not a pressing concern. In any case Switzerland is moving closer to the kind of deal the UK wants having recently voted in a referendum for free movement controls regardless of what Norway thinks and like the UK its relationship with the EU is based more on financial services whereas in Norway it is based on the fishing industry
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,753
    John_M said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

John Nicloson

The Catholic churches in Hereford are going gangbusters.
    At the Polish Catholic Church in Ealing the majority of the congregation are out in the street.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

RobD said:

Dadge said:

Shouldn't the leader of a regional or county authority be called something other than "mayor"? It seems like yet another politically-motivated stretching of the English language. People would think you were an idiot if you said you were the mayor of Hertfordshire.

Maybe something like Governor
    How about Duke?
    Marquis for Manchester and Baron for Birmingham.
    There is a Duke of Manchester and, as a subsidiary title, an earldom. No marquessate though (it'd be marquess in England; marquis is used in Scotland, France and so on).

No Baron Birmingham either (nor, unless 'Birmingham' were the surname, would there be: it'd be Baron X, of Birmingham.

Sorry to go all Jack W.
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    tlg86 said:

runnymede said:

rcs1000 said:

Precisely.
    We shouldn't forget that prior to the referendum, Cameron was trying to persuade the Icelanders to join the EU as 'associate members'. Dismantling the EEA is a strategic plan that the EU has (all alternatives must be suppressed) and our PM was pushing it.

Now that plan has fallen through, the EU will no doubt be dripping poison into the ears of its worshippers in Norway re. teaming up with the UK.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    EPG said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

PlatoSaid said:

John Nicloson

One very small caveat is that Scotland's Census asks what religion or denomination people belong to, whereas the England and Wales Census asks what is your religion.

It could be argued that the first question discourages those with marginal attachment from identifying with a religion, whereas the second one accommodates them.
    Also there is a new generation of hard of thinking in the West of Scotland who now claim to be Irish after one pint of Guinness , so church attendance by real immigrants may be even higher.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    runnymede said:

tlg86 said:

runnymede said:

rcs1000 said:

Precisely.
    We shouldn't forget that prior to the referendum, Cameron was trying to persuade the Icelanders to join the EU as 'associate members'. Dismantling the EEA is a strategic plan that the EU has (all alternatives must be suppressed) and our PM was pushing it.

Now that plan has fallen through, the EU will no doubt be dripping poison into the ears of its worshippers in Norway re. teaming up with the UK.
    It's amazing how much of a europhile Dave turned out to be.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
    runnymede said:

tlg86 said:

runnymede said:

rcs1000 said:

Precisely.

That's a distorted characterisation. The EEA in today's world is only sustainable because the vast majority of it is made up of the EU. Institutionally the non-EU members of it are just hangers-on so it makes sense for the long term goal to be to allow the EEA treaties to be absorbed into the EU in some form.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    edited August 2016
    MaxPB said:

In 2005 Cameron sold himself as a strong Eurosceptic who would found a new European party that would put a stop to the ever-closer union nonsense and pull Britain out of the EU if needed.

By contrast Davis sold himself as a moderate Eurosceptic who would campaign fiercely for Britain's best interests inside the existing structures, including the EPP, but would not advocate withdrawal.

The irony of what has happened since is truly delicious. Remarkably, of course, Cameron kept his promise, but without intending to!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

In 2005 Cameron sold himself as a strong Eurosceptic who would found a new European party that would put a stop to the ever-closer union nonsense and pull Britain out of the EU if needed.

By contrast Davis sold himself as a moderate Eurosceptic who would campaign fiercely for Britain's best interests inside the existing structures, including the EPP, but would not advocate withdrawal.

The irony of what has happened since is truly delicious. Remarkably, of course, Cameron kept his promise, but without intending to!
    Indeed and it is now Davis who May has charged with determining the UK's future relationship with Europe
  • Options
    runnymede said:

tlg86 said:

runnymede said:

rcs1000 said:

Precisely.

Switzerland is a more potent ally than Norway, especially given its recent referendum result backing free movement controls
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed, I think with Davis as PM we wouldn't have left the EU as he wouldn't have been as vulnerable to UKIP as Dave. Funny how these things work out.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

runnymede said:

tlg86 said:

runnymede said:

rcs1000 said:

Precisely.

Switzerland is a more potent ally than Norway, especially given its recent referendum result backing free movement controls
    I'd agree with that, and also because they have similar interests to us re. financial services; indeed the Swiss have already talked about forming a joint front with us in that area,
  • Options

runnymede said:

tlg86 said:

runnymede said:

rcs1000 said:

Precisely.

That's a distorted characterisation. The EEA in today's world is only sustainable because the vast majority of it is made up of the EU. Institutionally the non-EU members of it are just hangers-on so it makes sense for the long term goal to be to allow the EEA treaties to be absorbed into the EU in some form.
    Told that to the EFTA members have you?
  • Options

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

I used to have a calculator with 4 functions AND a square root facility. - Cost £10.00, sometime in 1975. A Brother.

My friend had one that when 0/0 was entered just had the numbers whizzing round and another had a Sinclair Cambridge - as usual from Sinclair totally impracticable - and when I got to College the Sidney Sussex Library had one using reverse Polish Logic! Try explaining to a non-mathematician how that worked!
    Ah, reverse polish! Got one on my desk right here - last a lifetime because the fewer key strokes needed give less wear and tear.

Instead of the usual Basic, Forth (with RPN) was the language used on the Jupiter Ace, which was, I think, launched by some ex-Sinclair engineers. Not a commercial success though; I don't know anyone other than me who bought one.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

HYUFD said:

runnymede said:

tlg86 said:

runnymede said:

rcs1000 said:

Reading between the lines of that

Precisely.

I'd agree with that, and also because they have similar interests to us re. financial services; indeed the Swiss have already talked about forming a joint front with us in that area,
    Indeed, once Brexit is agreed get the Swiss in side, then maybe Liechtenstein and Iceland and we have a majority to join EFTA regardless of what Norway says
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    U.K. stocks registered a fourth consecutive gain on Tuesday as retailers rose and the pound continued to drift lower, aiding export-focused companies.

The FTSE 100 UKX, +0.62% finished up 0.6% at 6,851.30, scoring its best close since June 2015, according to FactSet data. The blue-chip gauge is now up 9.8% for year to date.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ftse-100-notches-modest-gain-as-retailers-rise-2016-08-09
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed, I think with Davis as PM we wouldn't have left the EU as he wouldn't have been as vulnerable to UKIP as Dave. Funny how these things work out.
    That does rather presuppose Davis would have become PM, of course. Could he have beaten Brown on his own, or formed a coalition? I have to say I have my doubts.

If Brown and then Balls had been PM, we would have had no referendum, of course. Equally, we might now have Michael Gove or Boris Johnson as PM.

It's a funny old world...
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

Instead of the usual Basic, Forth (with RPN) was the language used on the Jupiter Ace, which was, I think, launched by some ex-Sinclair engineers. Not a commercial success though; I don't know anyone other than me who bought one.
    I had some oddball micros - Oric Atmos, Dragon 32, Sinclair QL. Lusted after, but was unable to afford, the Acorn Archimedes. Learned my early trade on a BBC B though. 6502 assembler ftw. After that, iirc, it was an Atari ST, then my first PC.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/09/rugby-star-accused-of-raping-girl-he-met-on-tinder-cleared-of-al/

Time to give suspects anonymity. This unfortunate person has had his name dragged through the mud for nothing.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    @dr_spyn - Snort!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Nate Silver's latest forecasts :

Clinton 87.1 .. Trump 12.9 - Polls Only
    Clinton 78.6 .. Trump 21.4 - Polls Plus
    Clinton 94.9 .. Trump 5.1 - Nowcast

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/?ex_cid=rrpromo#now
  • Options

U.K. stocks registered a fourth consecutive gain on Tuesday as retailers rose and the pound continued to drift lower, aiding export-focused companies.

The FTSE 100 UKX, +0.62% finished up 0.6% at 6,851.30, scoring its best close since June 2015, according to FactSet data. The blue-chip gauge is now up 9.8% for year to date.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ftse-100-notches-modest-gain-as-retailers-rise-2016-08-09

For balance, the trade figures were awful, and NIESR are forecasting a 0.2% contraction for Q3. I'll take them over the BoE.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    John_M said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

I had some oddball micros - Oric Atmos, Dragon 32, Sinclair QL. Lusted after, but was unable to afford, the Acorn Archimedes. Learned my early trade on a BBC B though. 6502 assembler ftw. After that, iirc, it was an Atari ST, then my first PC.
    I went: ZX80, ZX81, Spectrum, Acorn Electron, Amstrad 6128 then another Amstrad (which was little more than a green screen wordprocessor) before moving to PC

Oh the days of a Sinclair Printer - that silver paper...
  • Options

John_M said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

I went: ZX80, ZX81, Spectrum, Acorn Electron, Amstrad 6128 then another Amstrad (which was little more than a green screen wordprocessor) before moving to PC

Oh God, I forgot the old PCW 8512(?) which ran CP/M-86. There was a game called 'Annals of Rome' for that which I loved.
  • Options
    John_M said:

For balance, the trade figures were awful, and NIESR are forecasting a 0.2% contraction for Q3. I'll take them over the BoE.
    Completely awful. Though I think August and September will be better.
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198
    edited August 2016

John_M said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

Bionic Bogroll, we used to call that.

I went straight from a Spectrum to an IBM 3090 Mainframe, as I got a job as a programmer.

I also ran a bulletin board on an Amiga.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

John_M said:

Completely awful. Though I think August and September will be better.
    Agreed. September will probably be the first month where people have become accustomed to the new normal.
  • Options
    John_M said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

I was a Z80 man. Lots more registers to play with!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed and it is now Davis who May has charged with determining the UK's future relationship with Europe
    And what I think was Cameron's finest achievement, giving us the EU referendum vote, is something he'll rue for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    John_M said:

John_M said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

Oh God, I forgot the old PCW 8512(?) which ran CP/M-86. There was a game called 'Annals of Rome' for that which I loved.
    That's the one. I did a lot of my undergraduate essays on it (the only game I had was Batman IIRC(
  • Options

John_M said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

I preferred the understated elegance of the Motorola 68k. Mind you, once I started work @ DEC it was MACRO-32 all the way, so I was spared the ghastly dog's breakfast that is Intel's ISA.
  • Options
    Harry Enten of 538 rejects US poll revisionists and says Trump is losing badly :

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-polls-arent-skewed-trump-really-is-losing-badly/
  • Options
    John_M said:

The devaluation oof sterling should mean the traditional U curve for trade with imports costing 10% more in the short term and export growth taking some time to build up.
  • Options
    John_M said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

Started remotely via paper tape to the Manchester Atlas, then movd to English Electric KDF9 and punched cards. Then an Elliot Automation 4100 with visual display and light pen, a touch screen forerunner, at the National Physical Lab at the weekends.

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

DavidL said:

Hands up who respects Andy Burnham?

Actually I do.

He did so much good work on the Hillsborough disaster inquiry, when very few were interested.
    You're serious about being a candidate aren't you?
    Just imagine if Labour split, UKIP continue to implode, the Tory candidate could win with just 25% of the vote.

Who wouldn't fancy being Greater Manchester's first Directly Elected DictatorMayor?
    It won't be a FPTP election
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

And what I think was Cameron's finest achievement, giving us the EU referendum vote, is something he'll rue for the rest of his life.
    Indeed, it will be his Iraq
  • Options

John_M said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

....and there was I in the early 1980s spending a year or so using RAMIS a 4th gen prog language which needed the IBM main server to operate reports into a 4 MB database from a global comms entity. Became best in company at this and that company was 2,000+ strong. Another life..... When the IT dept started to replace RAMIS, I changed functions and went into Govt Contracts!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Yoda speaks reverse Polish
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    John_M said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

Speedy said:

RobD said:

Speedy said:

My progress was: ZX81 -> BBC B -> Atari ST -> PC.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    John_M said:

I preferred the understated elegance of the Motorola 68k. Mind you, once I started work @ DEC it was MACRO-32 all the way, so I was spared the ghastly dog's breakfast that is Intel's ISA.

My 2nd year course used the 68k

Then in 3rd year we progressed to the mighty 6809...
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,686
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

And "shouldn't have happened".

There wouldn't have been the slightest chance of Cameron calling the referendum if he'd thought there was a serious chance of him losing it.

That said, I am grateful he gave us it.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options
    Pennsylvania .. Ohio .. Florida - Quinnipiac

PA - Clinton 52 .. Trump 42
    OH - Clinton 49 .. Trump 45
    FL - Clinton 46 .. Trump 45

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2016/081016_SWING_PRES_+_BP.pdf
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    JackW said:

Pennsylvania .. Ohio .. Florida - Quinnipiac

PA - Clinton 52 .. Trump 42
    OH - Clinton 49 .. Trump 45
    FL - Clinton 46 .. Trump 45

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2016/081016_SWING_PRES_+_BP.pdf

The tight margins in Florida given the national picture are confusing me, especially with Trump's relatively bad numbers amongst Cuban Americans.
This discussion has been closed.