Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The CON race: A new poll, a May campaign denial and more fr

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The CON race: A new poll, a May campaign denial and more from Leadsom’s past

Survation survey of 1000+ CON councillors finds
May 46.2%
Leadsom 21.8
Gove 5.1
DK/Refused 22.8

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,877
    Broken Blair on the slide...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,376
    edited July 2016
    Wot, no Chilcot?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Wow, just logged on and a new thread!

Good afternoon, everybody.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    edited July 2016
    Third like Leadsom
    Fourth like Crabb
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

You'd have to think that Chuka might now be a decent outside bet for the leadership. He was only 25 years of age when the Iraq War kicked off in 2003, and did not come to Parliament until 2010.

Agreed, Chuka opposed the Iraq War at the time but otherwise is basically a Blairite
    Not the best - but A FAR FAR better choice than Angela Eagle.
    Except for the dog in a man suit business.
    I hope Chuka is able to move beyond his personal issues and (re)gain the composure needed to challenge for the leadership effectively.
    What are these "issues" that people mention??
    Well, Chuka pulled out because of "intrusive press scrutiny" over at least two areas:
    (a) Being a bit of a playboy (well fine)
    (b) His romantic history, and most problematically his sexuality.

And thus we got tweets like:

Owen Jones‏@OwenJones84
    I don't have Chuka's politics (at all) But really hope he hasn't been forced to withdraw for anything we shouldn't give a toss about in 2015

Ben Bradshaw was also a high profile supporter.

Now I have seen no conclusive evidence of anything. Whatever the truth, Chuka did come across as deeply unhappy when fighting off accusations, which gave the distinct impression there were issues that need to be dealt with of one sort or another.

• Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Hunt is going to impose the contract on Junior Doctors. No choice really it has dragged on long enough and we will never see full agreement from the Junior Doctors.
  • Options
    I think these extraordinary past couple of weeks are kind of like the final "death throes" of the whole Blair era.

Brexit and Chilcot, painful and jarring as they are, will allow us to finally move on from the 1994-2016 era.

Hopefully, from the ruins, will emerge a new, vibrant, kinder (and hopefully far less cynical) politics.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Afternoon...

If May in her first cabinet were to give Crabb the Education brief say, would it be a sideways move?

I'll get my coat
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    GIN1138 said:

I think these extraordinary past couple of weeks are kind of like the final "death throes" of the whole Blair era.

Brexit and Chilcot, painful and jarring as they are, will allow us to finally move on from the 1994-2016 era.

Hopefully, from the ruins, will emerge a new, vibrant, kinder (and hopefully far less cynical) politics.

He's still talking - I've watched Jeremy Kyle, read several Times articles, caught up with PB, fed the cat...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Bush should just have said: "I shall release a full response later. But for the moment: I'm sorry."

And then disappeared from public life.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Theresa May is being wise. If she is to win - and she very probably is - she needs to command not just most of the Parliamentary party but all of it, given the tiny majority that the Conservatives hold. She will not do that without a mandate from the members as well as from MPs.

She should cut out the jiggery pokery and face whoever those MPs who are unconvinced by her think she should face. She should have the easy beating of either of them.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

For that we would need more consensus driven politics. Very difficult to see that with Corbyn either internal to the Labour Party or across the house.
  • Options
    Open and robust debate is all very well - and indeed very welcome - but there is that small concern over commitments that prejudice negotiations. A difficult circle to square during a leadership election.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    With all the focus on the Tories and Chilcot over the past week – where are we with the Labour and UKIP leadership contests, have either started yet?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    PlatoSaid said:

He's still talking - I've watched Jeremy Kyle, read several Times articles, caught up with PB, fed the cat...

What did you expect of Gove? .... Blair still chatting too ....
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Can we have a ban on Crabb jokes involving the word sideways or the STD?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2016

Theresa May is being wise. If she is to win - and she very probably is - she needs to command not just most of the Parliamentary party but all of it, given the tiny majority that the Conservatives hold. She will not do that without a mandate from the members as well as from MPs.

She should cut out the jiggery pokery and face whoever those MPs who are unconvinced by her think she should face. She should have the easy beating of either of them.

Indeed, but trying to prevent Tory MPs engaging in jiggery-pokery in a leadership election is like trying to herd cats through Hampton Court maze.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Chuka lived the high life, so what? Everyone knows that anyway. He was a DJ in Manchester in the nineties for crying out loud. I can't understand why anyone should give a hen's toss what he does in his private life. I suspect he is over-worrying about this.
  • Options

Afternoon...

If May in her first cabinet were to give Crabb the Education brief say, would it be a sideways move?

I'll get my coat

I think it more of a "pincer" movement...
  • Options

Presumably there's nothing to stop MPs getting together on a view without any orders from Team May. They are supposed to be a sophisticated electorate, I've read.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Seems the Tory Remainders have learnt nothing.
  • Options
    WRT Robots vs Humans. Until someone finds a way to

a) make robots feel empathy
    b) get them to ask questions rather than answer them

We have a long, long way to go before they catch up with human beings.
  • Options

Indeed, but trying to prevent Tory MPs engaging in jiggery-pokery in a leadership election is like trying to herd cats through Hampton Court maze.
    :)
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited July 2016
    Jobabob said:

Chuka lived the high life, so what? Everyone knows that anyway. He was a DJ in Manchester in the nineties for crying out loud. I can't understand why anyone should give a hen's toss what he does in his private life. I suspect he is over-worrying about this.

My goodness. A point of agreement for us.

We don't need plaster saints running the country. I'm much more concerned with Leadsom's porkies than whether Chuka snorted something in his mis-spent youth*.

* For our OGH's sake, I'm not implying he did of course!
  • Options
    Pauly said:

After the election is over, will he retreat into his shell?
    You know, become a bit of a hermit?

Good job he was clean on his expenses...
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

Pah, I've developed a six pack while he was wittering on.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Afternoon...

I'll get my coat

I think it more of a "pincer" movement...
    Give him Northern Ireland. He can be a hermit...
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Not unless there are photos :smiley:
  • Options
    Yet another aspect of politics where new ground is being broken:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/750688219264606208
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,284

Well, Chuka pulled out because of "intrusive press scrutiny" over at least two areas:
    (a) Being a bit of a playboy (well fine)

Its 2016. Surely there isn't still Shock and indeed Horror about those of us who don't orient as 0 on the Kinsey scale?

I don't agree with all of Chukka's politics. But I recognised someone who was saleable and was advocating radical reform in 2015. I was very disappointed that he withdrew after 3 days - but for him now to demand leadership from others having (a) bottled it and (b) been awol ever since seems a bit rich. Even for someone as flamboyant as Chukka.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    edited July 2016

I do think the Doctors have overplayed their hand on this one. If they don't like it we'll just get more in from Euro... oh wait !

Their bargaining position is alot stronger post Brexit !
  • Options
    Like one or two of my bridge partners, Tony Blair is showing more creativity in the post mortem than he managed in the play of the hand.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Wonder what HMQ thinks to recent events?

She's seen her country pull out of the EU (after her very subtle interventions on the behalf of the LEAVE campaign) and now her tenth (and one suspects least liked) Prime Minister is publicly shredded! :smiley:
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

:smiley:
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,827

PlatoSaid said:

GIN1138 said:

He's hoping to hit 45 minutes and then be taken away from it all by incoming WMD.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,883
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

Depends if what he did was legal.
    Perhaps it involved goats?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I do think the Doctors have overplayed their hand on this one. If they don't like it we'll just get more in from Euro... oh wait !

I do think the Doctors have overplayed their hand on this one. If they don't like it we'll just get more in from Euro... the rest of the World.

FIFY.
  • Options
    JackW said:

PlatoSaid said:

What did you expect of Gove? .... Blair still chatting too ....
    Gove getting all Churchillian? "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I'm hearing that Blair has been going on so long, Charlie Falconer has resigned in protest.

The straw that broke the camel's back Sean.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

Long as it's not Pigs we'll be alright! :smiley:
  • Options
    John_M said:

Jobabob said:

My goodness. A point of agreement for us.

We don't need plaster saints running the country. I'm much more concerned with Leadsom's porkies than whether Chuka snorted something in his mis-spent youth*.

* For our OGH's sake, I'm not implying he did of course!
    I've agreed with you about plenty of stuff John. Not least your sensible approach to post-Brexit EEA.

But quite. Those who moralise about such matters should ask themselves whether they would disqualify from a political career anyone who has ever broken the speed limit.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,827

Pauly said:

After the election is over, will he retreat into his shell?
    You know, become a bit of a hermit?

Good job he was clean on his expenses...
    I remember going to see an SPL match at Tannadice Park and one of the players kids shuffling on sideways as a mascot.

I asked the Dundonian bloke beside me what was up with the kid.

"Scott Crabbe's" he replied.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Gordon Brown enjoyed his cold dish of revenge with a glass or two of Chilcot?

Odd how he hasn't had anything to say to the world on that war in Iraq.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

I'm hearing that Blair has been going on so long, Charlie Falconer has resigned in protest.

Tear up your next Labour leader betslips,

Simba has confirmed he will run for leadership of the Labour party. He didn't vote for the Iraq war and reckons his chances are "better than 50-50" against Eagle.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

Why? I'd hazard a guess that most MPs have broken the law at some stage in their lives.
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238

As I understand it - via third-hand Chinese whispers from Streatham Labour people admittedly - there are some things that Chukka would like to keep from some of his older relatives who have rather less liberal views. Might be that he just doesn't want to cause them upset or shock, but could also be a legitimate fear of being disowned or disinherited?

Either way, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he made another bid for leader once said individuals have passed on and nobody bats an eyelid.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

There were photos of Ozzy, but they didn't stop him being Chancellor.
  • Options
    I fear Blair's just said something factually incorrect: ISIS were not formed in Syria; they were formed in Iraq and then moved into Syria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_State_of_Iraq
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,284
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

Can't be worse than pigs. And other substances? Isn't there a certain very senior member of the front bench whose eyes are regularly glazed and pointing in different directions?
  • Options

As I understand it - via third-hand Chinese whispers from Streatham Labour people admittedly - there are some things that Chukka would like to keep from some of his older relatives who have rather less liberal views. Might be that he just doesn't want to cause them upset or shock, but could also be a legitimate fear of being disowned or disinherited?

Either way, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he made another bid for leader once said individuals have passed on and nobody bats an eyelid.
    I know it was a sorry mess for him, but I don't know enough to say what sort of sorry mess.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Probably stopped Boris from being PM though.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

I fear Blair's just said something factually incorrect: ISIS were not formed in Syria; they were formed in Iraq and then moved into Syria.

Blair's entire argument that the situation in Syria somehow justifies intervening in Iraq is based on absolutely tortured logic, not to mention 'lies'.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Tear up your next Labour leader betslips,

Simba has confirmed he will run for leadership of the Labour party. He didn't vote for the Iraq war and reckons his chances are "better than 50-50" against Eagle.
    The prescient among us backed him when he was a 100-1 longshot. I'd assumed PBers had been keeping up?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Pauly said:

there was an vaguely innocent time when STD meant subscriber trunk dialling.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

No, it's not. Post Brexit, the country is in a flinty mood. We all know we are going to be quite a bit poorer, for a while.

A lot of well paid young doctors demanding even more money suddenly doesn't look so good. Sympathy will shrivel.
    but.. but.. what happened to £350m a week extra for the NHS...?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Fair point but funnily enough I think cheating on your wife when you are a family man is seen as rather worse than living the high life, these days.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    The one person who has hardly been mentioned today is Goldsmith, his Masters Voice. From a January legal opinion which said a second resolution was needed, to early March where he indicated that the situation had changed but a second resolution was still needed. Then miraculously, he changed his mind in mid-March after flying to Washington.

The point is regardless of the fact the Americans would have gone ahead anyway, a legal opinion that in international law a second resolution is needed does not change just because one was not forthcoming.

Another was the JIC Chairman. A year or so later he was actually promoted to Chief of MI5 despite it becoming clear by this time taht they had sold a pup.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Pulpstar said:

We won't be leaving for a few years and even if we do a points based system will easily allow in many highly skilled junior doctors. Junior doctors have overplayed their hand.
  • Options
    Like most people I've got a fairly tortuous and inconsistent view of what I'd consider a bar to a political career. I could handle youthful excess with drink, drugs, sexual partners, daft political views, offensive fancy dress, the odd bit of brawling.
  • Options

Pauly said:

And strictly speaking, crabs are not an STD either.
  • Options

Blair's entire argument that the situation in Syria somehow justifies intervening in Iraq is based on absolutely tortured logic, not to mention 'lies'.
    The situation in the ME is complex. 'Mistakes' like that show he should be nowhere near the ME's problems.
  • Options
    Off topic - Just what was going on with George Osborne during the 2016 budget ?
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    I disagree with Sean T and others at the end of the last thread. Blair is not broken by Chilcott. He's handling himself well. I'm not commenting on the arguments or the report but Blair's response.
  • Options
    May needs to come clean on her health issues or apologise to the families of our fallen for her disrespect in nodding off during Cameron's statement.Either way she is clearly unfit to be PM.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Fair point but funnily enough I think cheating on your wife when you are a family man is seen as rather worse than living the high life, these days.
    Unless it was just that Cameron was fortunate in which end of the pig he got?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

May needs to come clean on her health issues or apologise to the families of our fallen for her disrespect in nodding off during Cameron's statement.Either way she is clearly unfit to be PM.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    stjohn said:

I disagree with Sean T and others at the end of the last thread. Blair is not broken by Chilcott. He's handling himself well. I'm not commenting on the arguments or the report but Blair's response.

Yes, it's a masterful response (didn't see the start of it).
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

Why? I'd hazard a guess that most MPs have broken the law at some stage in their lives.
    "186 Indian Members of Parliament Have Criminal Cases Including Murder and Rape"

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/186-indian-members-parliament-have-criminal-cases-including-murder-rape-600584
  • Options

That's a pretty low comment.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

SeanT said:

Jobabob said:

"186 Indian Members of Parliament Have Criminal Cases Including Murder and Rape"

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/186-indian-members-parliament-have-criminal-cases-including-murder-rape-600584
    THe majority of MPs in Brazil who then impeached the President.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Are politicians in this country just judged by how well they can talk bollocks these days ?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Driven by the same ideological purity as those who harass Labour women MPs that oppose Corbyn. The similarities between Leadsom and Corbyn are becoming more and more difficult to ignore.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    surbiton said:

The one person who has hardly been mentioned today is Goldsmith, his Masters Voice. From a January legal opinion which said a second resolution was needed, to early March where he indicated that the situation had changed but a second resolution was still needed. Then miraculously, he changed his mind in mid-March after flying to Washington.

The point is regardless of the fact the Americans would have gone ahead anyway, a legal opinion that in international law a second resolution is needed does not change just because one was not forthcoming.

Another was the JIC Chairman. A year or so later he was actually promoted to Chief of MI5 despite it becoming clear by this time taht they had sold a pup.

Are you suggesting that there was corruption at the highest levels, Mr Surbiton?

Surely not. Ths is the Labour Party that we are talking about.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

Driven by the same ideological purity as those who harass Labour women MPs that oppose Corbyn. The similarities between Leadsom and Corbyn are becoming more and more difficult to ignore.
    Indeed. Two sides of the same coin.
  • Options
    Federer not yet out of Wimbledon - saves a match point....
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Two people have a debate:

One talks the pure unvarnished truth, but their delivery is stunted, stilted, poor.

The other talks utter crap, but in a rousing, excellent manner and gets everyone else to agree with them.

Who is right ?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044

Pauly said:

And strictly speaking, crabs are not an STD either.
    Is that what you told your wife?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

I think each represents self-indulgence on the part of members.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Jobabob said:

stjohn said:

Blair is a first class actor.
  • Options

I saw him on Centre Court in his previous match on Monday! Hope he pulls through!
  • Options
    @beaubodor: Tony Blair close to tears as he remembers he's not being paid for this speech. #Chilcot
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325

Like one or two of my bridge partners, Tony Blair is showing more creativity in the post mortem than he managed in the play of the hand.

If you start out over-bid then you only have the explanation to play for.
  • Options

I saw him on Centre Court in his previous match on Monday! Hope he pulls through!
    There is some divine tennis being played...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,883
    ABC are now calling 72 Coalition MPs to 66 Labour and 5 Others.

Of the remaining 7 seats, Labour lead in 5 and the Coalition in 2. But, the leads are tiny, and the Coalition is gaining ground as postal votes are counted.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Members of the House falling asleep after luncheon is not exactly unknown, so hardly a dreadful offence. Besides, Theresa May is not exactly in the first bloom of youth and many of us richer in years rather like a little nap in the early afternoon.

Actually, are we sure she was asleep. She may have closed her eyes so as to be better able to concentrate on what was being said - another habit of older people, I do it frequently at concerts, the theatre, on trains and so forth.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Jobabob said:

I think each represents self-indulgence on the part of members.
    Hopefully the polls and all of the anecdotes are right about the race and May will walk it.
  • Options

There is some divine tennis being played...
    No iPlayer at work. :/
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Jobabob said:

stjohn said:

He was very shaky at the start but now he is dealing with questions he is in his stride
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    May born 1956, seven years before Leadsom.

Is sixty too old to be PM nowadays?

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Federer saves a second match point.
  • Options
    Federer saves another match point. Tie break for the fourth set....
  • Options
    DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    Pulpstar said:

Two people have a debate:

One talks the pure unvarnished truth, but their delivery is stunted, stilted, poor.

The other talks utter crap, but in a rousing, excellent manner and gets everyone else to agree with them.

Who is right ?

It doesn't matter who's right
  • Options

Since, given the candidates that both the Democrats and the Republicans are serving up, 70 is apparently not too old to be President of the USA, I can't see why 60 would be too old to be Prime Minister.
  • Options

Federer saves another match point. Tie break for the fourth set....

Come on Roger :)
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

No
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    IanB2 said:

Jobabob said:

stjohn said:

He was very shaky at the start but now he is dealing with questions he is in his stride
    He's had several months to prepare his defence.

Journalists have only had a few hours to read the report.

Good tactical move by Blair to have his press conference while he is at an advantage.
  • Options
    mr-claypolemr-claypole Posts: 217
    Cant help but think of Nixon- the wilderness years - when you look at Blair
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    PClipp said:

Jobabob said:

stjohn said:

Blair is a first class actor.
    Would that he had gone on the stage. He would have made far more money and been respected. We would have been spared his debasement of cabinet government, the constitution as well as a lot of lives would not have been lost or ruined.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    PClipp said:

surbiton said:

Are you suggesting that there was corruption at the highest levels, Mr Surbiton?

Surely not. Ths is the Labour Party that we are talking about.
    This was the Labour party I resigned from in March 2003. Were the decision makers corrupt ? Yes, they were.

One more point: So many Labour MPs from the time and virtually the entire Tory party [ brave exceptions: Clarke, Heseltine etc. ] says today that they took the decisions they took given what was shown to them.

How come Robin Cook came to a different and correct decision ?
    In his speech [ perhaps the greatest speech in Parliament in recent years ], he mentions absolutely clear that Iraq did not possess WMD as it was understood by most people.
This discussion has been closed.