Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The CON race: A new poll, a May campaign denial and more fr

123457»

Comments

• Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2016

SeanT said:

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I don't give a monkey's. Ban cousin marriages, bad mad mullahs, ban sharia law, ban the burqa. Those that like these stupid unBritish things can go and enjoy them in Pakistan or Bangladesh.

I know two white English-born people who have married cousins. It's not illegal though I think they did look into the genetic issues - apparently a 2% higher risk - before (in one case) having kids. There are a host of legal things which you can do which may increase the risk of childbirth more, like having a child when you're 35 (increases the risk near four times). Would you ban them all, or only the ones you feel aren't sufficiently British? How about a ban on mad authors?
    I know of two in the 1940s but no prior cousins for at least 5 generations. They had 5 children all healthy. Two won scholarships to grammar schools, (1 made head girl). 1 refused to do the entrance exam! The other 2 were of average intelligence. I always wonder if being children of cousins tilted the intelligence factor.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    nunu said:

Jobabob said:
    Shy Leavers still being shy.....
    More like wwc can't be fucked to do polls, they get calls a thousand times a day about ppi and an accident that wasn't your fault, and tons of junk emails a day they ain't got time for that.

The samples are shit. Only loud lefties can be bothered to do polls no matter their demographics.
    I can't recall where I read it - but one psephologist analysis of the vote was 2.8m DNV did. And almost all of them chose Brexit.

They were discounted by pollsters or not counted at all. It shows how a junk sample is very misleading.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,263
    I'm amazed people are taking polls seriously.

If a company got one poll correct, the question has to be asked whether it was a false positive.

After the referendum and GE 2015, polls have to be taken with the same seriousness that we used to take subsamples. Still, they'e grist for the mill on here.

As an aside, is it 'grist to the mill' or 'grist for the mill'. I thought the latter, but the web seems to go for either.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    PlatoSaid said:

AndyJS said:

Still no challenge to Jeremy Corbyn? Maybe Labour MPs have given up trying to get rid of him.

They will be blaming Jeremy for the Iraq war because he did not oppose it hard enough.
    Has there ever been such an incompetent coup attempt?
    The Easter Rising was pretty shambolic, but in the end it worked out better for its cause than its instigators could ever have hoped for.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Jobabob said:
    More like wwc can't be fucked to do polls, they get calls a thousand times a day about ppi and an accident that wasn't your fault, and tons of junk emails a day they ain't got time for that.

The samples are shit. Only loud lefties can be bothered to do polls no matter their demographics.
    I can't recall where I read it - but one psephologist analysis of the vote was 2.8m DNV did. And almost all of them chose Brexit.

They were discounted by pollsters or not counted at all. It shows how a junk sample is very misleading.
    A million extra voters on GE2015 turned out to vote Leave – bet they weren’t on the books.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:
    Except that the poll asked the sample how they voted and matched it to that (in fact the sample is marginally more pro-Leave than the actual result)

Interesting?
    No. So many people think they voted labour at the last election that the samples show Labour won a majority. When ofcourse they didn't. People forget/lie about how they voted.

Buy if u want another referundum, be my guest we started from 20 points behind last time and won by 4 points, this time.........
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:
    Didn't polls also show remain would win?
    *innocent face*
    Yup. But this sample is based on actual votes in the referendum. In fact the sample is marginally more pro-leave than the actual result!

Interesting.
    Not really interesting, more meaningless. Everyone knew when the vote was and that was the date that mattered. Time to move on.
    The difference between this and other referendums is that we have ANOTHER date with destiny. The day we pull the trigger on Article 50.

If the trend in that Welsh poll continues (and today's economic news will shunt it that way) then we could see polls showing REMAIN 60/40 next year. As the economy goes swiftly down the toilet.

At that point I expect Prime Minister May would do the British thing, and extract some ludicrous, craven, face-saving fudge from Brussels, allowing us to revote and STAY.
    It is for just that reason I am convinced May will not be able to wait until next year, even if she secretly wanted to do so. When she will declare article 50 will come up again and again, and she will need to continually justify during the leadership campaign why she thinks we need to wait, and why until 2017 as I believe she had previously indicated. In order to reassure the more strident leavers, and given she will need to lay our at least the bare bones of her brexit strategy in the leadership campaign, she will need to pull the trigger before then, as what needs a longer delay if we know in general what we are aiming for.

Leadsome and other Leaver MPs will not permit backsliding. Even if dozens of Tory Leaver MPs are bremorsed into not wanting to leave after all, so so many will not, plenty of remainers will think it is too late even if the economy goes to hell, and the members would not stand for it. Any hint brexiting will not occur and May is done.

And all of this requires getting some more fudge from Brussels, which would be more politically disastrous than any negative impacts from a Brexit - they don't agree on much, many would have liked us to stay, but let us remain now, but they don't want to be blackmailed by other nations voting to leave. (granted they cannot kick us out if we don't actually declare article 50, but for that reason wouldn't offer anything to us before we declare either).
    She has already clearly said she won't invoke Article 50 this year.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Any hint brexiting will not occur and May is done.

Article 50 can't be constitutionally triggered without a vote in parliament. No PM will win that vote unless they have a watertight plan for what happens next. There aren't enough anti-EU fanatics in parliament to vote for it blind, regardless of the referendum result.
    Indeed. Even many avowed eurosceptics want to wait until a solid plan is secured.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Brom said:

Jobabob said:

RobD said:

Jobabob said:
    Didn't polls also show remain would win?
    *innocent face*
    Yup. But this sample is based on actual votes in the referendum. In fact the sample is marginally more pro-leave than the actual result!

Interesting.
    Not really interesting, more meaningless. Everyone knew when the vote was and that was the date that mattered. Time to move on.
    The difference between this and other referendums is that we have ANOTHER date with destiny. The day we pull the trigger on Article 50.

If the trend in that Welsh poll continues (and today's economic news will shunt it that way) then we could see polls showing REMAIN 60/40 next year. As the economy goes swiftly down the toilet.

At that point I expect Prime Minister May would do the British thing, and extract some ludicrous, craven, face-saving fudge from Brussels, allowing us to revote and STAY.
    I think a rerun of the Referendum would have a similar outcome to the Winchester by-election in 1997. IMHO, the numbers you should watch are for those who want a fresh referendum, currently 2:1 against.
    A fair point (as always)
    But you rather blithely ignore the economic question. If we really are in financial meltdown then that will change the game entirely.
    It depends on the severity of the downturn.
    Where is this financial meltdown? The commercial property market is just under £1 trillion (2014 est £0.8tn). There is £0.015 trillion where shares are suspended for the 6 entities listed in the Tgraph article.
    What about the £9 trillion in private wealth (most in housing). Is that in some meltdown?
    Or what about the FTSE100 where most of the UK share value is?
    I met 11 people running SMEs today and none had had a single contract cancelled or delayed and none were worried about Brexit. Also the view from the member of a very large private wealth company is that their investments are up on 6 months ago. But I do not mix with north london chattering classes, these days, so clearly I do not mix in the right circles........
    Going to repeat myself. Only about 13% of the economy is concerned with Europe. It's a very important chunk of course. The world still revolves about its axis. It's the effect on the City and overall business/consumer sentiment that bothers me, short term.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    edited July 2016
    Jobabob said:

She has already clearly said she won't invoke Article 50 this year.

Hence why i said she had previously indicated she would wait until 2017 - the point remains that any hope some people have of brexit not occurring is predicated on delaying the declaration as long as possible, and leavers know that, and she will be pressured into upping that timetable precisely so there is no fear she is trying such a tactic. And if she did try it, she would be challenged and brought down. Which is why she won't. And why she will face enormous pressure to change her tune on when to declare.

All but the fringe and the fools have said Brexit is Brexit - even the LD pitch is Brexit will happen - but we were discussing a scenario in which that would change. It is far far easier to imagine a situation wherein May declares earlier than she said she would right now, than a situation she will ever be strong enough to not declare at all, even if she wanted to.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,860
    IanB2 said:

First Leadsom promises live on prime TV to publish her tax return. Then she qualifies this by saying only if she gets to the final two. Now she won't publish at all.

First she promises to submit under Article 50 the minute she is elected. Then she says she won't.

How can she ever hope to get away with such slippery a performance?

Hopefully she wasn't as creative with her tax return as she was with her CV
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:
    Was there any poll before the referendum that showed Wales in favour of Brexit? Is Welsh opinion polling on Brexit as error prone as that for the rest of the UK?
    The sample is matched to actual votes in the referendum - ergo a decisive cohort have changed their minds.....
    Actually, the only good comparison would be if the same voters had been asked for their voting intention on the eve of poll. There's a tendency for some voters to claim to have voted for the winner, after the event, when in fact they didn't.
    The response I have had to posting a simple poll that matched its sample to actual voters is somewhat telling: the poll is simply not to be believed. I suspect the response would have been entirely different if the Welsh poll showed the opposite result...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I don't give a monkey's. Ban cousin marriages, bad mad mullahs, ban sharia law, ban the burqa. Those that like these stupid unBritish things can go and enjoy them in Pakistan or Bangladesh.

I know two white English-born people who have married cousins. It's not illegal though I think they did look into the genetic issues - apparently a 2% higher risk - before (in one case) having kids. There are a host of legal things which you can do which may increase the risk of childbirth more, like having a child when you're 35 (increases the risk near four times). Would you ban them all, or only the ones you feel aren't sufficiently British? How about a ban on mad authors?
    The risk of a birth defect is doubled if you marry your cousin (and that's presuming no history of cousin marriage, which adds to the problem).

Besides, of course, the intention of the law is to make fundamentalist Muslims not move here, and to make those already here go back to an Islamic society which welcomes their views on gay people, women, democracy, etc.
    One-off first cousin marriages are rarely a problem. Successive first cousin marriages most certainly are.
    To make an alternative species comparison... As many here know, I bred pedigree cats for a long while.

It was a complete no-no to include any offspring closer than 5 generations in the breeding pool. So that's parents or siblings plus grandparents/great grandparents/great great grandparents/great great great grandparents.

Anything less put offspring at significant risk of inherited genetic disorders, early death et al.

If pedigree cats have stricter breeding rules than humans - that says it all.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

It's so bloody obvious May is going to win this, stop dicking about and let's have a Prime Minister tomorrow night. I don't give a shit that I don't get to vote. Just do it and move on to the next phase of Brexit - whatever that is.

Now hang on, you're not looking at the wider picture. I'm on a May/Leadsom final and the bet's void if there's no members' vote.
    With Betfair? I wouldn't assume it would be void at all, based on their rules:

[says a man on May/Gove @ 11.0 :)]

Which contenders will come first and second in the Conservative leadership contest.

This market will be settled based on the first official announcement of the next permanent Conservative Party leader as chosen by a Conservative Party leadership contest. Betfair reserves the right to suspend, cancel unmatched bets and turn in-play or re-open this market as and when information becomes available to it. Additional runners may be added upon request.

In the event of any ambiguity over an announcement, Betfair may determine, using its reasonable discretion, how to settle the market based on all the information available to it at the relevant time. Betfair reserves the right to wait for further official announcements before the market is settled.
  • Options
    This guy puts the case against backsliding pretty well.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Jobabob said:

Bloomberg.

http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-07-04/the-2-8-million-non-voters-who-delivered-brexit
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

kle4 said:

Article 50 can't be constitutionally triggered without a vote in parliament. No PM will win that vote unless they have a watertight plan for what happens next. There aren't enough anti-EU fanatics in parliament to vote for it blind, regardless of the referendum result.
    Indeed. Even many avowed eurosceptics want to wait until a solid plan is secured.
    It seems the most sensible approach - but how long politically can be allowed for it to be developed is where even people who want that solid plan may disagree.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    edited July 2016
    rpjs said:

I hope neither you nor any of your family ever fall in love with someone from another country then.

My gf is from Switzerland, one of the reasons I'd be happy for the government to ensure no more family reunions is so my prospective mother in law has no chance of coming to the UK.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

PlatoSaid said:

AndyJS said:

Still no challenge to Jeremy Corbyn? Maybe Labour MPs have given up trying to get rid of him.

They will be blaming Jeremy for the Iraq war because he did not oppose it hard enough.
    You would have to ask @Morris_Dancer the answer to that question. I am rather hazy on events that happened 2 to 3 thousand years ago.
    Don’t think you have to go quite as far back as that, the coup attempt against Brown was dire.
    No, this is like burning down the house you share with someone you hate to get them to leave.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

SeanT said:

I know of two in the 1940s but no prior cousins for at least 5 generations. They had 5 children all healthy. Two won scholarships to grammar schools, (1 made head girl). 1 refused to do the entrance exam! The other 2 were of average intelligence. I always wonder if being children of cousins tilted the intelligence factor.
    Nick's friends are dangerously confusing absolute and relative percentages. According to wikipedia "Cousin marriage" "In April 2002, the Journal of Genetic Counseling released a report which estimated the average risk of birth defects in a child born of first cousins at 1.1–2.0% over an average base risk for non-cousin couples of 3% , or about the same as that of any woman over age 40." An extra 2% on top of a base 3% is actually a 66% increase. I am puzzled the report doesn't distinguish between types of birth defect; there is no reason why the defects caused by paired recessives and those caused by aging in the parents should be the same.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    MaxPB said:

rpjs said:

I hope neither you nor any of your family ever fall in love with someone from another country then.

My gf is from Switzerland, one of the reasons I'd be happy for the government to ensure no more family reunions is so my prospective mother in law has no chance of coming to the UK.
    One of the more interesting things on here is just how many posters have a non-Brit partner.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    rpjs said:

Indigo said:

rpjs said:

Only people classed as 'immigrants' are counted as immigrants, as only they can stay permanently in the US. Everyone else has to go home sooner or later.

The Americans have the massive advantage of not having the idiocy of Article 8. In the UK it is far too easy to arrive as a visitor, overstay, find a boy/girlfriend, ideally have a baby, and claim Article 8 for instant permanent right to remain.
    That's not the point I'm making. I'm talking about only counting as immigrants those who unequivocally have the right to stay permanently, not those that might at some future point acquire that right. The UK doesn't do that.
    If it did, the number actually settling permanently would be substantially higher than the number who had the right to stay permanently for the reason I stated and others.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    Was Jezza prominent in Stop the War in 2004?
    https://twitter.com/rossfootball/status/750745388999667712
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rpjs said:

:smiley:
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    John_M said:

That's Vernon Bogdanor, PPE Tutor to David Cameron (and many others).
  • Options
    MP_SE said:
    Beyond superb - so Screen Junkies :lol:
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

AndyJS said:

You would have to ask @Morris_Dancer the answer to that question. I am rather hazy on events that happened 2 to 3 thousand years ago.
    Don’t think you have to go quite as far back as that, the coup attempt against Brown was dire.
    No, this is like burning down the house you share with someone you hate to get them to leave.
    More like a bratty teenager holding a match and shouting they they will burn it down, they really will, and then storming off to their room in a huff. Unless things change and they either leave the house themselves, or follow through.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,471
    Is everyone going to watch the best team in the United Kingdom instead of posting until we are in the final. Cmon Wales
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Jobabob said:

Usually a safe bet to ignore non-voters. For once, it didn't work.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

rpjs said:

One of the more interesting things on here is just how many posters have a non-Brit partner.
    Five nephews, two foreign partners. If you look at the early British Empire, the Brits have always been willing to marry out. That's probably why I find the 'Little Englander' epithet so distasteful.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

rpjs said:

Even among my friends, I just went to a wedding in Greece, next year a wedding where the bride is half Iranian, another has a long term partner from Finland and in 2018 there's a probably wedding in Italy for a friend who's gf is Italian. Brexit may be sub-optimal for a lot of us if we leave the single market.
  • Options

Is everyone going to watch the best team in the United Kingdom instead of posting until we are in the final. Cmon Wales

Watching!
  • Options

Such little imagination - we can do both.

Come on Wales!
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

Wishful thinking. Article 50 can be triggered; the 1972 European Communities Act requires parliamentary repeal, but it would be silly to refuse if under EU law we were already out.
    The royal prerogative can't be used to frustrate the will of parliament, e.g. to turn the 1972 ECA into a dead letter.
    Wait for things to get a bit worse, declare a limited state of emergency and then reach for the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 ;) I am still amazed that parliament passed such an idiotically broad and illiberal law, but there you go.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    This means the coup is dead ?

@stephenkb: I have been ringing round CLPs and the most negative picture for Corbyn would put it at 80-20 new joiners for him.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/07/labour-membership-hit-600000
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    MaxPB said:

rpjs said:

Ha! I moved to my wife's country and now live less than two hundred miles from my m-i-l rather than 3,500. Funnily enough though, in many respects I get on better with her than my wife does...
  • Options

John_M said:

That's Vernon Bogdanor, PPE Tutor to David Cameron (and many others).
    I like calling him 'this guy' ;).
  • Options
    rpjs said:

That not a family reunion, that's a spousal or fiance visa. Different kettle of fish entirely.
  • Options

@stephenkb: I have been ringing round CLPs and the most negative picture for Corbyn would put it at 80-20 new joiners for him.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/07/labour-membership-hit-600000

They'd rather grab ankle than break away. Do any have the will?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    Murray being scottish
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

This means the coup Labour Party is dead ?

FTFY
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,316

If Leadsom won, could we see a similar influx of new Tory members to sure up her position in the event that she were challenged?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Jobabob said:

Usually a safe bet to ignore non-voters. For once, it didn't work.
    And pollsters will have another truck load of new/latent voters to deal with next time. Were they accurate post SIndy?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Murray losing his cool.
  • Options
    Bollocks - Wales game - or Murray fifth set? Aaaaaargh!!!!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

My CLP surveyed their members and I answered honestly if I were a genuine Labour voter rather than a cuckoo.

Be interesting to see what the results are.
  • Options

TV = Ramshaggers match

iPad = Murray match
  • Options

Dual head ftw. Murray wobbling a bit though.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

If Leadsom won, could we see a similar influx of new Tory members to sure up her position in the event that she were challenged?
    The Conservative system is, unlike Labour's, sensible. She wouldn't be on the ballot. When the Tories knife someone, they stay knifed.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Jobabob said:

Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

Jobabob said:
    Was there any poll before the referendum that showed Wales in favour of Brexit? Is Welsh opinion polling on Brexit as error prone as that for the rest of the UK?
    The sample is matched to actual votes in the referendum - ergo a decisive cohort have changed their minds.....
    Actually, the only good comparison would be if the same voters had been asked for their voting intention on the eve of poll. There's a tendency for some voters to claim to have voted for the winner, after the event, when in fact they didn't.
    The response I have had to posting a simple poll that matched its sample to actual voters is somewhat telling: the poll is simply not to be believed. I suspect the response would have been entirely different if the Welsh poll showed the opposite result...
    What I'm saying is well-attested. Ask any pollster, they'll tell you more people will claim to have supported the winner than did so.

• Options

This means the coup Labour Party is dead ?

FTFY
    Harsh. Two lessons from today

1) A government needs a strong opposition to keep them honest (cf IDS and Iraq)

2) Andrea Leadsom is a modern day Blair. She was 45 minutes away from being Chief Executive of Barclays.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044

TV = Ramshaggers match

iPad = Murray match
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Mg6Gfh9Co
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

SeanT said:

It should be remembered that whilst marrying cousins and having children increases the risk of bad genes being passed on , it also increases the chances of good genes being passed on .
    You can also note the behaviour of 2 closely related species of UK butterflies . The High Brown Fritillary is very averse to mating with close relatives especially siblings . The Dark Green Fritillary behaves in exactly the opposite manner . The High Brown has become extremely endangered as numbers fall it becomes even harder to find an acceptable mate whilst the Dark Green is maintaining numbers well .
    Interesting. This discussion is classic PB, isn't it?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

The risk of a birth defect is doubled if you marry your cousin (and that's presuming no history of cousin marriage, which adds to the problem).

Besides, of course, the intention of the law is to make fundamentalist Muslims not move here, and to make those already here go back to an Islamic society which welcomes their views on gay people, women, democracy, etc.
    One-off first cousin marriages are rarely a problem. Successive first cousin marriages most certainly are.
    To make an alternative species comparison... As many here know, I bred pedigree cats for a long while.

It was a complete no-no to include any offspring closer than 5 generations in the breeding pool. So that's parents or siblings plus grandparents/great grandparents/great great grandparents/great great great grandparents.

Anything less put offspring at significant risk of inherited genetic disorders, early death et al.

If pedigree cats have stricter breeding rules than humans - that says it all.
    Quite. In the middle ages the Church in each parish kept "Blood Books" with sole intention of making sure genetic defects caused by inbreeding did not occur. The population didn't move around much in those days so the blood book was the insurance policy. The consanguinity rules were strictly applied.

Except of course for the monarchy and ruling classes not so much in England but certainly in France, Spain and the Holy Roman Empire. For the very wealthy a papal exemption against the rule could always be obtained. Just look at the results. The number of members of the royal families born with genetic defects was way above the norm. In the 19th century even our own royal family started to be affected.

Mr. Palmer's 2% extra risk is frankly bollocks. Interbreeding leads to birth defects. Even the BBC agrees.
  • Options

If Leadsom won, she'd be safe due to the outflow of existing Tory members, without need for new ones....
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited July 2016
    Sean_F said:

RoyalBlue said:

kle4 said:

Wishful thinking. Article 50 can be triggered; the 1972 European Communities Act requires parliamentary repeal, but it would be silly to refuse if under EU law we were already out.
    Article 50 requires that the withdrawing state make the decision in accordance with its constitutional requirements.

An unelected PM acting against the wishes of the majority in parliament on the basis of an advisory referendum with a thin majority would not be good enough. When you add in the interference of the monarch in the days before the vote, it would take us squarely into real constitutional crisis territory.
    That's clutching at straws, to be honest.
    The PM would not ask parliament for A50 without a coherent negotiating strategy. So long as there is such a strategy set out parliament would surely give its assent. The notion that the majority who voted Remain would transform into a blocking majority is wishful thinking by some.

There is no reason to expect a constitutional crisis or for the Queen to be drawn into controversy.
  • Options

Nope, under the Tory rules if a leader loses a vote of confidence of MPs they can't stand as leader again
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

If a company got one poll correct, the question has to be asked whether it was a false positive.

After the referendum and GE 2015, polls have to be taken with the same seriousness that we used to take subsamples. Still, they'e grist for the mill on here.

As an aside, is it 'grist to the mill' or 'grist for the mill'. I thought the latter, but the web seems to go for either.

I think Opinium and TNS did very well. They consistently (in the last few weeks) showed a very close race. Yougov and Survation performed adequately.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    I've been busy cooking - but I hope people got on Tsonga at 11-1 after the second set....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,086
    PlatoSaid said:

nunu said:

Jobabob said:

Matt Singh for Bloomberg.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-07-04/the-2-8-million-non-voters-who-delivered-brexit
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,860

The biggest issue with the EUref polls was a lack of past data that pollsters could refer to when producing their samples. But if their samples now indicate they have changed their minds, or have not changed them, that would be meaningful information.
  • Options

Nope, under the Tory rules if a leader loses a vote of confidence of MPs they can't stand as leader again

Yes, we know how to do regicide properly.
  • Options
    Murray, having had a Scottish spell, refinding his Britishness....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    Sean_F said:

I think Opinium and TNS did very well. They consistently (in the last few weeks) showed a very close race. Yougov and Survation performed adequately.
    I'm going to ask people in my office if they're voting for the next General or whatever election. Better than the pollsters.
  • Options
    Portugal need to come to the net more frequently and Tsonga desperately needs a goal. Confusing watching two things at once.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

MaxPB said:

rpjs said:

Ha! I moved to my wife's country and now live less than two hundred miles from my m-i-l rather than 3,500. Funnily enough though, in many respects I get on better with her than my wife does...
    My wife's Ukranian, I get on fantastically with the in-laws as they speak almost no English and I speak almost no Ukranian or Russian :D

Going to see them next week!
  • Options
    Keiran Pedley
    From recent YouGov on Labour members. 90% voted Remain. Labour members aren't even representative of Labour voters https://t.co/LYC8surYnk
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Doesn't look like it. Not a single spine left in the PLP.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rpjs said:

MaxPB said:

rpjs said:

My wife's Ukranian, I get on fantastically with the in-laws as they speak almost no English and I speak almost no Ukranian or Russian :D

Going to see them next week!
    Sounds like my mate and his new Greek in-laws.
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    Watching the value of banking shares plunge had me thinking

Would any PM, be it a Brexiter or Remainer, trigger article 50 if they were in a position that they had just had to bailout the banking system again?

Would they not have to 'wait for the economy to stablise' before pulling the trigger?
  • Options

If Leadsom won, she'd be safe due to the outflow of existing Tory members, without need for new ones....
    We both know that isn't how the tories work; if Leadsom won before you could say "flexible principles" we would have Nabavi and TSE on here telling us that she was the "near perfect" leader. ;)
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Murray being scottish

Another Scottish performance.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    Murray's on court behaviour has been getting worse for some time. He's turning into a real Drama Queen.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    AndyJS said:

IanB2 said:

First Leadsom promises live on prime TV to publish her tax return. Then she qualifies this by saying only if she gets to the final two. Now she won't publish at all.

First she promises to submit under Article 50 the minute she is elected. Then she says she won't.

How can she ever hope to get away with such slippery a performance?

Tax returns are an entirely private affair. I don't think anyone should be bullied into publishing them.
    I agree - but the said she would - and it begs the obvious questions - nothing to do with bullying at all. She needs to grow up - no 10 is not the place to do it.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

My CLP surveyed their members and I answered honestly if I were a genuine Labour voter rather than a cuckoo.

Honest would have been not to respond at all.
  • Options
    MontyMonty Posts: 346
    matt said:

PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

Honest would have been not to respond at all.
    Hear hear. For fucks sake, if you want to turn this country around stop playing silly entryist games and try and honestly win the argument.
This discussion has been closed.