Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As CON MPs vote in 1st round the latest live Betfair bettin

Comments

• Options
    Robert_EveRobert_Eve Posts: 31

Green Party leadership candidates:

Jonathan Bartley and Caroline Lucas (job share)

Clive Lord

David Malone

Martie Warin

David Williams

Interestingly, I think David Malone is the same guy as the documentary maker who does science related stuff and made the truly brilliant 'Dangerous Knowledge' about understanding infinity.

The Green Party? Do they even exist?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    felix said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

No, he should have - as someone else said - have demanded, as the price of a referendum, that the eurosceptics get together a commission and decide amongst themselves what was going on the ballot (WTO, Single Market) as an alternative to the EU. If necessary, have three options on the ballot.

Then both sides could have sent out detailed manifestos.

He fucked it up, from his perspective, quite royally.

I'd have more sympathy with that view if it had been expressed prior to the referendum or the general election. It would have involved a lot of cabinet Brexiters breaking ran a whole lot earlier and would have made it much easier for the Remain side to win. Sounds an awful lot like buyer's remorse to me.
    No, I think @SeanT is right here actually. Giving the option to just "leave" was I think... irresponsible by Dave. Anyway "Completely out" vs "EFTA" should definitely be a decision taken by the government and not the good people of Wigan - let's not compound the error

I don't buy a Leaver line that says Dave should have made it much harder for us to win.

Agreed and it's most amusing that all the Leavers with all their grand ideas about 'sunlit uphills' and 'crocks of gold at the end of the rainbow' are totally clueless about the great Brexit idea they've been ranting on about for decades. They run for the hills rather than accept any responsibility.
    In fairness, two of them are running to be Prime Minister. I don't really know what more you want.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Jobabob said:

I hope PBer are prepared for this week's Question Time guest list...

Let's just say it might be too much, too soon...

Moi?
    Cometh the hour...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Hasn't the Bank Of England wanted a weaker Sterling for some time? Might a weaker pound help with regard to the global imbalances? Though not if it strengthens the dollar of course.

In theory, a weaker Sterling makes our exports cheaper, and makes imports more expensive. Therefore helping with our imbalances.

Unfortunately, demand for a lot of the things we import (such as oil, and natural gas) is very price inelastic. If Sterling halved, then our energy import bill would almost double.

Our exports are largely price inelastic too. Hence the fact that Sterling has fallen from $2.10 in 2007 to $1.30, and our exports have only increased 20% or so in that time.
    $2.10 :o How was the dollar ever that weak ?
    It was more than $2 to the £ for the whole of 2006-07 period while I was living in California as a student. Happy days.
    In was in the 1.90s when I bought my house in California (at 40% off the asking price - that's what a bear market in property looks like)
    Your experience in that may well soon prove invaluable here!
    As a rule I don't divest strategic assets, so I will likely remain structurally long the London property market (both in the "super prime residential" and the "unique venue" segments)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,053
    dr_spyn said:
    Careless Hillary!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,116
    I think Terminal 5 at Heathrow is fine. Not flash, but it works, which is a big improvement on what Heathrow used to be like. They just need that new runway. ideally two of them.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Hmm

Leave was always in the lead: why the polls got the referendum result wrong https://t.co/4y6spVtucq https://t.co/GvQcsaGNBq
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,127

felix said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

Mr. Topping, Cameron is in a position to try and do early negotiations on a reciprocal agreement for EU citizens currently in the UK and Britons currently in the EU getting confirmed residency rights (subject to the new PM agreeing, of course).

He could also be making reassuring noises* about the economy and the prospects for the future.

The suggestion he's tried to lengthen the proceedings of the leadership contest so he can toddle off to the G20 one last time is not an edifying decision. Collaborating with the leadership contenders on a Brexit negotiating team (lawyers etc not politicians) so they're ready to go for the new PM would be a good thing too.

*I realise that's not exactly hard and fast stuff, but with multiple leadership elections and the PM not being seen [excepting at a remembrance event] since he resigned it would help reduce the feeling of being rudderless.

Edited extra bit: advance work on the major options (fully out, EEA/EFTA, and a bespoke approach) should have been done, reducing the time it'll take the new PM to work through that.

Nah sorry Monsieur Morris. You are suggesting he began negotiations before the vote as though the vote had already been cast (and as though Leave had won).

And he couldn't make reassuring noises about the economy because, you know, all the experts told him otherwise.

So I ask again, what concrete measures could he have taken?
    It is quite bizarre that all the Leavers on here were adamant before and now that they have no plan for the wonderful post-Brexit world they campaigned and voted for. The greatest example of political vandalism and nihilism probably in our history. Let's take an axe to the EU folks and afterwards... that's for government to sort out. They keep on saying it and sound dafter every time.
    Last time I checked, I wasn't living in 10 Downing Street. It ain't my job to make those decisions, make those plans. I vote in a government to do that politics stuff. They gave me a choice and positively encouraged me to participate in the vote. I made a choice-over to them to try some of that government shit that they all claim to be so good at.
    No-one would be so silly as to suggest you could ever live in 10 Downing street - we can agree on that - I was really thinking of people like Gove/Leadsom/Johnson/Fox who all have ambitions of a more realistic nature albeit postponed in the case of Johnson. They really should have had some well-prepared ideas as they couldn't have been so stupid as to think Cameron was going to do it for them.
    oof! Get you!
    lol - typical leaver response - like me to pass it on to Dave?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,161

It was more than $2 to the £ for the whole of 2006-07 period while I was living in California as a student. Happy days.

Yep, my first trip to Vegas with Mrs Stodge was in 2006 and we got $2.05 to the £ and lived extremely well. A $40 meal for two (very good food as well) was less than £20 and even the $100 fine dining restaurants were affordable. I discovered Maggiano's on that first visit and we go every time (as well as The Cheesecake Factory).

More important, we stocked up on clothes and especially shoes - three pairs of shoes in Bass for $75.

We've experienced $1.45 to the £ but not $1.30 yet. At that rate our £20 dinner will have to cost $26 so it will be Denny's or the cheaper buffets backed up by some successful gambling.

I relieved Mr Wynn of a tidy sum on Christmas Eve which kept us going through a Palm Springs New Year - a glass of chilled local vino on the terrace at midnight....

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Airports in the Far East are the best by a long shot. Tokyo, Singapore, Seoul, Shanghai, Hong Kong. And the people who work there aren't in a foul mood, unlike most other places.

Tokyo??? Narita is a 'mare.

Seoul is nice, but a long way away from the City.

Singapore and Hong Kong are, as you say, excellent.

Hong Kong is OK. No better than T5 at Heathrow in my experience. All the Asian airports I go to these days are fine if you are travelling business, less so if you are not. It always seems ot take an age for luggage to arrive at HK.
    Yes I noticed that last time I went there as well, I normally don't travel with luggage and I was the only one in our party who had luggage. I ended up having to get the train. :/
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I think Terminal 5 at Heathrow is fine. Not flash, but it works, which is a big improvement on what Heathrow used to be like. They just need that new runway. ideally two of them.

But who's gonna build it, kid? You?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,568
    Jobabob said:

I hope PBers are prepared for this week's Question Time guest list...

Brighton.

Hmm.
  • Options
    Does this matter?

AOh my... 63% of German Bund are no longer eligible to ECB QE (only 7 issues left!). https://t.co/LrM3FVYhVg
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,127
    John_M said:

felix said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

No, he should have - as someone else said - have demanded, as the price of a referendum, that the eurosceptics get together a commission and decide amongst themselves what was going on the ballot (WTO, Single Market) as an alternative to the EU. If necessary, have three options on the ballot.

I'd have more sympathy with that view if it had been expressed prior to the referendum or the general election. It would have involved a lot of cabinet Brexiters breaking ran a whole lot earlier and would have made it much easier for the Remain side to win. Sounds an awful lot like buyer's remorse to me.
    No, I think @SeanT is right here actually. Giving the option to just "leave" was I think... irresponsible by Dave. Anyway "Completely out" vs "EFTA" should definitely be a decision taken by the government and not the good people of Wigan - let's not compound the error

I don't buy a Leaver line that says Dave should have made it much harder for us to win.

Agreed and it's most amusing that all the Leavers with all their grand ideas about 'sunlit uphills' and 'crocks of gold at the end of the rainbow' are totally clueless about the great Brexit idea they've been ranting on about for decades. They run for the hills rather than accept any responsibility.
    In fairness, two of them are running to be Prime Minister. I don't really know what more you want.
    Their Brexit plan might be a start - unless you think that Gove's rambling was one - did he ever finish?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,161
    Afternoon all :)

Expectations for tonight:

May 205
    Leadsom 60
    Gove 40
    Crabb 15
    Fox 15

Huge pressure on all the others to withdraw to give the Blessed Theresa a cornonation especially as Crabb supporters will back her. No second ballot as Gove, Crabb and Fox will all withdraw.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

Mr. Topping, Cameron is in a position to try and do early negotiations on a reciprocal agreement for EU citizens currently in the UK and Britons currently in the EU getting confirmed residency rights (subject to the new PM agreeing, of course).

He could also be making reassuring noises* about the economy and the prospects for the future.

The suggestion he's tried to lengthen the proceedings of the leadership contest so he can toddle off to the G20 one last time is not an edifying decision. Collaborating with the leadership contenders on a Brexit negotiating team (lawyers etc not politicians) so they're ready to go for the new PM would be a good thing too.

Edited extra bit: advance work on the major options (fully out, EEA/EFTA, and a bespoke approach) should have been done, reducing the time it'll take the new PM to work through that.

Nah sorry Monsieur Morris. You are suggesting he began negotiations before the vote as though the vote had already been cast (and as though Leave had won).

And he couldn't make reassuring noises about the economy because, you know, all the experts told him otherwise.

So I ask again, what concrete measures could he have taken?
    It is quite bizarre that all the Leavers on here were adamant before and now that they have no plan for the wonderful post-Brexit world they campaigned and voted for. The greatest example of political vandalism and nihilism probably in our history. Let's take an axe to the EU folks and afterwards... that's for government to sort out. They keep on saying it and sound dafter every time.
    Last time I checked, I wasn't living in 10 Downing Street. It ain't my job to make those decisions, make those plans. I vote in a government to do that politics stuff. They gave me a choice and positively encouraged me to participate in the vote. I made a choice-over to them to try some of that government shit that they all claim to be so good at.
    No-one would be so silly as to suggest you could ever live in 10 Downing street - we can agree on that - I was really thinking of people like Gove/Leadsom/Johnson/Fox who all have ambitions of a more realistic nature albeit postponed in the case of Johnson. They really should have had some well-prepared ideas as they couldn't have been so stupid as to think Cameron was going to do it for them.
    oof! Get you!
    lol - typical leaver response - like me to pass it on to Dave?
    Please do-I'm sure "Dave" hangs on the every word of some numpty internet smug git.
  • Options
    Well If I've heard Heathrow might not be such a good idea these days.

Heathrow is the most expensive plan that requires very high landing charges to fund it (hint BA does not want to pay, why do you think they bought Aer Lingus?). Plus the money quoted does not include any money towards any transport improvements (estimated to well over £10 billion) required.
    In contrast Gatwick is much cheaper and easier to build and will fund all transport requirements needed.

Apart from all that, the rumours is that Heathrow will never be able to borrow the money itself on the markets anymore.

If anyone has any sense it's Gatwick.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Hillary Clinton and email sounds an awful lot like my Mum and email.

Your Mum exposed secret US operations because she had an unsecured email server in her bathroom?

Wow. That's really impressive.
  • Options
    Ken Clarke = loser in 2005 (last place in the first ballot!)
    Ken Clarke = loser in 2001 (lost to IDS (FFS!) in the final members' ballot!)
    Ken Clarke = loser in 1997 (lost to Hague (FFFFS!) in the final MPs' ballot!)

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @SkyNewsBreak: The value of the pound has fallen below $1.30 before rebounding, setting a new 31-year low
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,889
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Airports in the Far East are the best by a long shot. Tokyo, Singapore, Seoul, Shanghai, Hong Kong. And the people who work there aren't in a foul mood, unlike most other places.

Hong Kong is OK. No better than T5 at Heathrow in my experience. All the Asian airports I go to these days are fine if you are travelling business, less so if you are not. It always seems ot take an age for luggage to arrive at HK.
    Yes I noticed that last time I went there as well, I normally don't travel with luggage and I was the only one in our party who had luggage. I ended up having to get the train. :/
    Why wouldn't you get the train anyway? Customs to Captain's Bar in record time.
  • Options
    felix said:

John_M said:

felix said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

Their Brexit plan might be a start - unless you think that Gove's rambling was one - did he ever finish?
    He did. He's a strange chap. I imagine he'll spend the rest of his political career wondering why no one trusts him.

I've not seen much detail from either, other than FoM is off the table. I'm assuming that this is positioning. We'll have to wait for hustings.

FWIW, we have four options:

a) Change our minds and do a Dallas (It was all a dream! scenario).
    b) Move to EEA + FoM as final destination (Fuck the working class scenario)
    c) Move to EEA + Fom as a transition to sunlit uplands + cornucopia of plenty (Martian scenario)
    d) Move directly to WTO with no FoM (Rerunning Imperial Japan in WW2 scenario)

I can't imagine any other variant, other than some negotiating shenanigans around option b) with some quota/limit/emergency brake as window dressing.
  • Options

Heathrow is the most expensive plan that requires very high landing charges to fund it (hint BA does not want to pay, why do you think they bought Aer Lingus?). Plus the money quoted does not include any money towards any transport improvements (estimated to well over £10 billion) required.
    In contrast Gatwick is much cheaper and easier to build and will fund all transport requirements needed.

Apart from all that, the rumours is that Heathrow will never be able to borrow the money itself on the markets anymore.

http://www.gatwickobviously.com/
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,568
    MattW said:

Jobabob said:

I hope PBers are prepared for this week's Question Time guest list...

Brighton.

Hmm.
    Hearing rumours that Charlie Falconer is going to unresign from Question Time.

And the 5x going on 26 Smug-ler that is Mr Hislop.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

rcs1000 said:

Hasn't the Bank Of England wanted a weaker Sterling for some time? Might a weaker pound help with regard to the global imbalances? Though not if it strengthens the dollar of course.

In theory, a weaker Sterling makes our exports cheaper, and makes imports more expensive. Therefore helping with our imbalances.

Unfortunately, demand for a lot of the things we import (such as oil, and natural gas) is very price inelastic. If Sterling halved, then our energy import bill would almost double.

Our exports are largely price inelastic too. Hence the fact that Sterling has fallen from $2.10 in 2007 to $1.30, and our exports have only increased 20% or so in that time.
    I wonder how much is price inelasticity and how much is structural in that we have given up on entire industries.
    Afternoon, Mr. B. Traditionally some industries have called for a lower pound and lower interest rates so that they can export more. In my experience when they have been granted those conditions they have just pocket the difference in sterling earnings, paid them out to directors and shareholder sand carried on with the same volumes and markets.

Mr. Howl was on here earlier joyful at the new sterling rates as an exporter. I wounder how much effort he will be making to take true advantage of the situation. How many extra salesmen/sales teams does he intend to send overseas to open up new markets for his business or expand his penetration into existing markets. No disrespect to Mr Howl I merely ask.

Perhaps the same sort of question could be asked by parliamentary select committees of big companies like Rolls Royce and maybe of the Department of BIS, what extra support are they giving to companies to either start exporting or do more of it.

• Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited July 2016
    stodge said:

May 205
    Leadsom 60
    Gove 40
    Crabb 15
    Fox 15

Huge pressure on all the others to withdraw to give the Blessed Theresa a cornonation especially as Crabb supporters will back her. No second ballot as Gove, Crabb and Fox will all withdraw.

Yes. I strongly doubt there will be a second ballot or a ballot of the membership. The last May rival left in, probably Leadsom, will leave it until late tonight or better still, tomorrow morning, before announcing her heroic unity-helping drop-out. Then May can call a press conference or get the cameras in as she moves into No.10, and the front pages won't cover the Chilcot report on the relatively uninteresting matter of a prime minister and senior intelligence officers telling dirty lies, at the behest of a foreign power, to "justify" a war that killed hundreds of thousands of people.

Chilcot report to be released at 10am tomorrow.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,382
    Bad luck USA. The FBI has let you down when you needed them. You are going to have to choose between Clinton and Trump.

God help us all!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    John_N4 said:

stodge said:

May 205
    Leadsom 60
    Gove 40
    Crabb 15
    Fox 15

Yes. I strongly doubt there will be a second ballot or a ballot of the membership. The last May rival left in, probably Leadsom, will leave it until late tonight or better still, tomorrow morning, before announcing her heroic unity-helping drop-out. Then May can call a press conference or get the cameras in as she moves into No.10, and the front pages won't cover the Chilcot report on the relatively uninteresting matter of a prime minister and senior intelligence officers telling dirty lies, at the behest of a foreign power, to "justify" a war that killed hundreds of thousands of people.
    The big news tomorrow will be Wales v Portugal.

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105
    stodge said:

May 205
    Leadsom 60
    Gove 40
    Crabb 15
    Fox 15

Think TM would need to be much further ahead to justify mass withdrawals and a coronation. I think it would be seen as a statement of intent though.
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Hmm

Leave was always in the lead: why the polls got the referendum result wrong https://t.co/4y6spVtucq https://t.co/GvQcsaGNBq

Having given the first a skim read, I don't think they offer a persuasive explanation of why the pollsters "got it wrong".
  • Options

John_N4 said:

stodge said:

May 205
    Leadsom 60
    Gove 40
    Crabb 15
    Fox 15

The big news tomorrow will be Wales v Portugal.

So *that's* why Belgium folded.

Blair called in the favour we paid with on our rebate cut

:naughty:
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    John_N4 said:

stodge said:

May 205
    Leadsom 60
    Gove 40
    Crabb 15
    Fox 15

Chilcot report to be released at 10am tomorrow.
    Politics is a dirty game.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    FTSE 100 is up.
  • Options
    @SimonNeville: Pound now at $1.30. A new, new, new 31 year low. (the previous low was this morning)...

https://twitter.com/johngapper/status/750271361382252544

Of course it now looks like those 30 years experience might have been making the tea...
  • Options
    Interesting to reflect tonight that the last time somebody who was not the incumbent leader topped the first ballot and went on to win was in 1975 (discounting 1989, 1990 and 1995). Every time since the early pacesetter has ended up coming second.

That's also true of 1990 of course, where Thatcher got more votes on the first round than Major did in the second but not quite enough to save her leadership.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Scott_P said:

@SkyNewsBreak: The value of the pound has fallen below $1.30 before rebounding, setting a new 31-year low

More good news. Should be a bumper year of American tourism to newly liberated Britannia.
  • Options
    @ThatTimWalker: Looking back, so much that #ProjectFear didn't even begin to address: hate crime, the political turmoil, extent of £ falling against $...

@ThatTimWalker: @adamboultonSKY @jac151515 And, one by one, everyone who championed Brexit heading for the hills... we weren't warned about that either..

It does look like Cameron and Osborne were not pessimistic enough...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

More good news. Should be a bumper year of American tourism to newly liberated Britannia.
    I'm expecting a huge influx of migrants from the USA, fleeing the despotic rule of President Trump/Clinton.

What a choice. I want them both to lose.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    If five candidates stand in a leadership contest and are so convincingly beaten in the first round that they all step aside, is that strictly speaking a coronation per se? – Not that I think it likely however.
  • Options
    @GuidoFawkes: 6pm RESULT says 1922 boss Graham Brady

Coronation?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,625
    Scott_P said:

@ThatTimWalker: Looking back, so much that #ProjectFear didn't even begin to address: hate crime, the political turmoil, extent of £ falling against $...

@ThatTimWalker: @adamboultonSKY @jac151515 And, one by one, everyone who championed Brexit heading for the hills... we weren't warned about that either..

But you can make up for that, Scott.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Scott_P said:

I saw an American travel operator talking about a round trip for under $500 on Virgin the other day and advising US tourists to pile in.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Why wouldn't you get the train anyway? Customs to Captain's Bar in record time.
    We had pre arranged transport to the hotel. I missed the first round of drinks as well. :/
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,150
    Good evening, Mr. Stodge.

Come on, MPs. Abandon Gove, the Bespectacled Backstabber.
  • Options

I will not shirk my responsibilities, unlike the departing Brexiteers...
  • Options
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:

I'm expecting a huge influx of migrants from the USA, fleeing the despotic rule of President Trump/Clinton.

What a choice. I want them both to lose.
    Of the Labour leadership, the US Presidency and the Tory leadership, even a rather "meh" Tory line-up looks world-beating in comparison.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    My only losing CON leadership outcome is Fox. I win on all the other 4.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I agree that Gatwick is the better option. However, living near it and traveling past it, by road and rail, on a regular basis, I strongly question the associated infrastructure costs that will fall on the taxpayer. I think the plans are grossly optimistic as would anyone who cared to pop down to the train station or try and drive up the M23 at the airport's peak times. Peak times incidentally which, in the morning, coincide with the commuter crush on the London-South Coast railways.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    "But for travelers like Wen Zhihong, from China's western Chengdu, that means lower prices. She had been planning to spend her vacation traveling with her daughter in France and Italy, but said she changed her mind after the vote.

"Now it seems a better idea to travel to England," Wen, a university official, said. "With the depreciation of the pound, hotels, plane tickets and shopping are all much cheaper."

Ctrip.com, China's biggest online travel agency, has already sought to capitalize on the surge in interest, arguing this week that a summer vacation in Britain could now be a third cheaper, helping UK searches on its app triple.

The company put out flyers with a dancing, winking figure in a Union Jack t-shirt, under the slogan, in Chinese, "Brexit: travel on the drop", in reference to the weaker pound. In the background, a weeping figure in a European Union flag waves "bye".

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-travel-searches-idUSKCN0ZD33O

Hospitality, entertainment and shopping venues will do very well.
  • Options
    I see Betfair gives the bottom 3 Tory candidates just 6% between them.

I still reckon a Boris write-in could yet win it....
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,116
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

<

c) Move to EEA + Fom as a transition to sunlit uplands + cornucopia of plenty (Martian scenario)

I can't imagine any other variant, other than some negotiating shenanigans around option b) with some quota/limit/emergency brake as window dressing.

Clearly fuck the working class is the way to go. Then we wait by our metaphorical fax machine to be told by Brussels what laws and regulations to implement. Maybe Juncker himself will add a smiley face to the memo. Hmm. Don't see it.

The problem I have is that scenario (a) - let's pretend it was a dream and carry on regardless - is the only one that sort of makes sense. But it is the only one that we have formally rejected. It really isn't me going all Kuebler-Ross and in the five stages of grief about my beloved Remain vote.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

Not sure there is gainful employment for a stable door closer now..
  • Options
    chestnut said:

"But for travelers like Wen Zhihong, from China's western Chengdu, that means lower prices. She had been planning to spend her vacation traveling with her daughter in France and Italy, but said she changed her mind after the vote.

"Now it seems a better idea to travel to England," Wen, a university official, said. "With the depreciation of the pound, hotels, plane tickets and shopping are all much cheaper."

Ctrip.com, China's biggest online travel agency, has already sought to capitalize on the surge in interest, arguing this week that a summer vacation in Britain could now be a third cheaper, helping UK searches on its app triple.

The company put out flyers with a dancing, winking figure in a Union Jack t-shirt, under the slogan, in Chinese, "Brexit: travel on the drop", in reference to the weaker pound. In the background, a weeping figure in a European Union flag waves "bye".

:lol:
  • Options
    I have just caught up with Juncker's remarks. I voted remain.

Does anyone on here know if he's actually as pompous, arrogant, rude, incompetent, unselfaware, anti-democratic and stupid as he comes across, or is it all an act?

Whichever it is, if he were a sample of the EU sod Brexit, I'd be off to Canada. Fortunately in my experience he is not typical.
  • Options

I think you can say you've won. Unless the whole damned contest is a betting scam...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    ydoethur said:

Does anyone on here know if he's actually as pompous, arrogant, rude, incompetent, unselfaware, anti-democratic and stupid as he comes across, or is it all an act?

Whichever it is, if he were a sample of the EU sod Brexit, I'd be off to Canada. Fortunately in my experience he is not typical.

I think most politicians in Luxembourg and the surrounding area are like Juncker.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I admit I was wrong, I always said judge brexit on day 10 after the vote. Clearly day 10 hasn't gone well and I think we should reverse the decision
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I've heard he's like that when he's not drunk.
  • Options

I'd guess Leadsom would be your biggest winner. A revelation to me.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

John_M said:

<

Clearly fuck the working class is the way to go. Then we wait by our metaphorical fax machine to be told by Brussels what laws and regulations to implement. Maybe Juncker himself will add a smiley face to the memo. Hmm. Don't see it.

The problem I have is that scenario (a) - let's pretend it was a dream and carry regardless - is the only one that sort of makes sense. But it is the only one that we have formally rejected. It really isn't me going all Kuebler-Ross and in the five stages of grief about my beloved Remain vote.

You've always been very reasonable in your objections, so I accept your point on K-R ;).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Or you could argue that the Remain campaign shirked its responsibilities - by employing people too stupid to get people to vote for them....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,387

I think you can say you've won. Unless the whole damned contest is a betting scam...
    For once I am completely green. Unlike in the Labour fiasco. If there's an election.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,365
    PlatoSaid said:

chestnut said:

We're saved! Who needs the City anyway.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sadly, he's all that. Juncker and Schulz are the most visible standard bearers for the More Europe fraternity in the EU. Their project stalled after Lisbon, and they're using Brexit as the cause celebre to do just that.

If it wasn't so serious, it would be fascinating to see the power struggle developing between the Commission, the Parliament and the Council.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,770
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Get the BA flight to Haneda if you can.
    I must do that; and Haneda also avoids the appalling hour and a bit bus or taxi ride.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,060
    Scott_P said:

Indeed - worrying times ahead.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,387
    Scott_P said:

Coronation?

Oh!
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941
    Brom said:

I admit I was wrong, I always said judge brexit on day 10 after the vote. Clearly day 10 hasn't gone well and I think we should reverse the decision

Markets hate uncertainty.

Delaying Article 50 is causing much of the current uncertainty. Clearly the UK needs to trigger Article 50 immediately and get out of the EU. Out means out and the UK voted out.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,060
    chestnut said:

While the rest of the economy tanks...
  • Options

I agree that Gatwick is the better option. However, living near it and traveling past it, by road and rail, on a regular basis, I strongly question the associated infrastructure costs that will fall on the taxpayer. I think the plans are grossly optimistic as would anyone who cared to pop down to the train station or try and drive up the M23 at the airport's peak times. Peak times incidentally which, in the morning, coincide with the commuter crush on the London-South Coast railways.
    It's a bugger to get to. I had a flight at 7am yesterday from Gatwick & had to leave home at 5am - at Heathrow I could have got another 30 minutes kip!
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Being given a tiny boiled sweet by passport control does not make an airport excellent.

I don't think I've ever had a more stressful travel experience than trying to change planes at Singapore. A connecting flight with the same carrier required a walk of OVER A MILE and two airside passes through security.

With only a 45 minute turnaround.

Immediately after the initial 15 hour flight to Singapore.

And then there's the stupid metro system out of Changi airport which requires you to change trains after about two stops - basically everybody and their luggage unless they're going to an airport hotel at the intermediate stop, or the conference centre thingy.

Awful. Absolutely awful. At least in the big US airports you can usually get some half-decent beer these days.
    Denver is the worst plane change I've come across recently. Nearly missed a connecting flight because they require changing passengers to go through the same security as everyone coming in from the outside.
    Denver is - indeed - bloody awful.

But it does tell us some interesting things about the New World Order: https://www.buzzfeed.com/rickysans/the-mysterious-conspiracy-theories-surrounding-the-denver-ai?utm_term=.kgeZ9bXm4#.wrKVx174M
  • Options
    Another kick in the balls for Juncker. This is the best sport ever.

http://www.dw.com/en/eu-commission-ceta-should-be-approved-by-national-parliaments/a-19379263
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,917
    T minus 10 minutes!
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @AndyJS

'FTSE 100 is up.'

Don't spoil Scott's day.

• Options
    The Fix
    Hillary Clinton's email problems might be even worse than we thought https://t.co/IM6p7j4er9 https://t.co/vL7zJ2Jjml
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

I must do that; and Haneda also avoids the appalling hour and a bit bus or taxi ride.
    What do you think of the oh la la claim I posted at 17.16?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@AndyJS

'FTSE 100 is up.'

Don't spoil Scott's day.

Weak pound is good for the FTSE. Means nothing one way or another.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

It does and the attendant said that they are switching to the 787 soon as well last time I was on it. Plus it lands at a reasonable hour.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,355
    edited July 2016
    Mr P,

Kudos to you. Flying the flag for Remain yet seeing your dreams turn to ashes, you carry on bravely, despite being the Goliath felled by David. "Why, tis only a flesh wound," you say as your brains lie dashed out in the dust.

Roger has disappeared to sulk, Cameron is licking his wounds and on a go-slow, but you'll have none of it. You'll fight to the death for your beloved one nation state of Europia, where President Juncker crushes the nay-sayers beneath his feet.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

Who gives a toss wha Clarke and Rifkind think?

Anyway, for me, the Brexit issue is decisive. I am getting increasingly nervous about the wobbling and the suggestions that Article 50 might not be activated for months, or years, or ever. We need a PM who can be trusted to enact Brexit and get on with it a.s.a.p. That means Leadsom. Trouble is, questions about her experience.

Previous thread: Leadsom is the "stop Gove" candidate ( as far as the top two are concerned), not the other way round. I would prefer Gove, but he is now seen as tainted so it will probably have to be Leadsom

Welcome back Mr Loony.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Coronation?

Oh!
    Far more likely that 100% turnout was reached early.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Being given a tiny boiled sweet by passport control does not make an airport excellent.

I don't think I've ever had a more stressful travel experience than trying to change planes at Singapore. A connecting flight with the same carrier required a walk of OVER A MILE and two airside passes through security.

And then there's the stupid metro system out of Changi airport which requires you to change trains after about two stops - basically everybody and their luggage unless they're going to an airport hotel at the intermediate stop, or the conference centre thingy.

Awful. Absolutely awful. At least in the big US airports you can usually get some half-decent beer these days.
    Denver is the worst plane change I've come across recently. Nearly missed a connecting flight because they require changing passengers to go through the same security as everyone coming in from the outside.

But it does tell us some interesting things about the New World Order: https://www.buzzfeed.com/rickysans/the-mysterious-conspiracy-theories-surrounding-the-denver-ai?utm_term=.kgeZ9bXm4#.wrKVx174M
    My favorite US airport is Santa Ana, although I do quite like MCI (Kansas City) as well (although the salads in the airport restaurant are gruesome)

O'Hare is tedious, JFK shabby, LAX appalling designed, Newark a mess. SFO is ok, I suppose - and Logan not too bad.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,150
    If there's a coronation, how long until Cameron toddles off?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,175

Friday?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,917
    edited July 2016

Is it still the case that there's no exit from the M23 between the M25 and the airport, around ten miles? Missed a flight once after an accident closed the M23 and there was no way of getting round it. Serious infrastructure needed at LGW anyway, another runway would only make the issues worse.

They should really build both LHR and LGW runways, if they want an outside-the-box idea then an airside Hyperloop linking the two airports would allow fast transfers between them. ;)
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

I used Denver airport in 2010/2011, but luckily on direct flights to/from Heathrow :)
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    CD13 said:

Mr P,

Kudos to you. Flying the flag for Remain yet seeing your dreams turn to ashes, you carry on bravely, despite being the Goliath felled by David. "Why, tis only a flesh wound," you say as your brains lie dashed out in the dust.

Roger has disappeared to sulk, Cameron is licking his wounds and on a go-slow, but you'll have none of it. You'll fight to the death for your beloved one nation state of Europia, where President Juncker crushes the nay-sayers beneath his feet.

Please explain what benefit we derive from pro-European individuals and parties being legal. I presume you think there is some :o

• Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

$2.10 :o How was the dollar ever that weak ?
    In was in the 1.90s when I bought my house in California (at 40% off the asking price - that's what a bear market in property looks like)
    Your experience in that may well soon prove invaluable here!
    As a rule I don't divest strategic assets, so I will likely remain structurally long the London property market (both in the "super prime residential" and the "unique venue" segments)
    If you're going to live in your house for the next 30 years (as I suspect both you and I will do), then then the vagaries of the property market are irrelevent.

However, what we're likely to end up with is quite an illiquid market, with very few transactions from non-forced sellers.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

chestnut said:

murali_s said:

chestnut said:

Exporters should do well as Hovercraft pointed out earlier, and domestic suppliers should find the environment more conducive to competing with imports.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @John_M

'Another kick in the balls for Juncker. This is the best sport ever.

http://www.dw.com/en/eu-commission-ceta-should-be-approved-by-national-parliaments/a-19379263'

He'll be dumped by the end of the year.

• Options

About 17 hours
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

My favorite US airport is Santa Ana, although I do quite like MCI (Kansas City) as well (although the salads in the airport restaurant are gruesome)

O'Hare is tedious, JFK shabby, LAX appalling designed, Newark a mess. SFO is ok, I suppose - and Logan not too bad.
    What, no love for the black hole of dreams that is Atlanta? :wink:
  • Options

PlatoSaid said:

chestnut said:

We're saved! Who needs the City anyway.
    Much of my family works in the City doing jobs that they're unable to explain the purpose of to me but nevertheless earning obscene salaries. I sincerely hope that Britain returns to making beautiful and useful things, and my relatives find respectable employment.
  • Options
    "That said, campaigns aren't governed by the ultimate legality of what Clinton did or didn't do. So, while dodging an indictment is a good thing — she isn't under criminal investigation and remains a candidate — it's a far different thing from being cleared (or even close to it) in the court of public opinion.

For a candidate already badly struggling on questions of whether she is honest and trustworthy enough to hold the office to which she aspires, Comey's comments are devastating. Watching them, I could close my eyes and imagine them spliced into a bevy of 30-second ads — all of which end with the FBI director rebuking Clinton as "extremely careless." https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/07/05/hillary-clintons-email-problems-might-be-even-worse-than-we-thought/?postshare=3601467734897955&tid=ss_tw
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Brom said:

I always said judge brexit on day 10 after the vote.

If you really said something that stupid then at least have the common sense to shut up about it hoping that everyone might have forgotten.

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018
    How can there be a result at 6pm - that's when voting closes....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,289
    Mortimer said:

They may have finished voting earlier, as in reached 100% turnout.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

What, no love for the black hole of dreams that is Atlanta? :wink:
    OK, now you've triggered me. Thanks.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,175
    ToryJim said:

About 17 hours
    Cameron will have to do the governments response to Chilcot tomorrow, so it'll be Thursday or Friday I'd have thought.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,018
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

They may have finished voting earlier, as in reached 100% turnout.
    Good point. Anyone would think I am sat in the sun drinking cider like a proper Dorset-man!
This discussion has been closed.