Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The EU referendum: An attempt to analyse the in-play bettin

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Prats.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,079
    You great shower of shite
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Posts: 941

Not sure what is more embarrassing. The England performance or the casual bigoted arrogant commentary from the commentators.

See, kle4 didnt agree with me. But its good to see quite a few English people agreeing. The commentary on England games is what drives other home nations off wanting England to do well.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,753
    Unbelievable.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,327
    edited June 2016

Not sure what is more embarrassing. The England performance or the casual bigoted arrogant commentary from the commentators.

Tyldesley is a twerp.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,313
    Well done Iceland, you played us off the pitch.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,951
    Fukit
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    The better side won. Well done Iceland. Never to be forgotten.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,065
    Out of Europe. Diminished. Humiliated. Unloved. Abject.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Got to laugh :smiley:
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    Ok. Now I have buyers remorse.
  • Options
    Ferfuxsake, even the fooking Welsh have lasted longer than us in this tournament
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,281
    Lowlander said:

SeanT said:

Have we even had a shot on goal in the second half?

Did you have one in the first half, I don't think so.

Although in the second half there were a couple of soft headers into the goalies arms that probably counted as shots at goal.
    There was a penalty
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Has Hodgson been sacked yet?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,411
    rcs1000 said:

The most profitable betting evening of my life (so far). SpreadEx has sent me a cheque, and tomorrow I shall bank it :)

I did mine from Laddies in cash. Two of the notes were £50s: I'd never seen one before - they're quite ugly, tbh.

On a less comfortable note. If I remember correctly, your mortgage is in USD. I that is the case, then you will probably need to look at this
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    The premiership is average.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,281
    Oh dear. All over.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,965
    Well at least Jezza has lasted longer than Hodgeson.
  • Options
    Well played Iceland. Totally deserved.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,124
    edited June 2016
    Lowlander said:

See, kle4 didnt agree with me. But its good to see quite a few English people agreeing. The commentary on England games is what drives other home nations off wanting England to do well.
    100% That and the behaviour of England fans and the terrible way the media tried to portray the as the victims.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

He should be arrested.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,079
    Second Brexit. What a total embarrassment.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited June 2016
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Lowlander said:

tlg86 said:

Lowlander said:

tlg86 said:

Lowlander said:

A genuine question.

Do English people get embarrassed by the commentaries on England games?

I feel envious of the other home nations for whom being at the tournament is a big thing. Tyldesley just over does his commentary.
    I have a theory that if England games had commentaries by Scots in Scotland, etc, then people in the other home nations would be much, much more favourable towards England.
    And yet, when I hear Gerry Armstrong doing a Northern Ireland game I really want them to win? Doesn't work with Robbie Savage and Wales, mind.
    Because there is a pragmatism from commentators in most of the home nattions. Savage is very much from the English school of "its all biased against us, every foul should be a red card". Scotland games (even against minnows) do not go in saying "we'll win this".

Savage on the Wales games sounded just like the English commentators and pundits do on England games. Armstrong sounded the way you would want a commentator to sound. Hopeful but not arrogant.
    I've completely emotionally disinvested from English national football. They've been so mediocre for so long they just bore me, now, and I NEVER anticipate a victory

It is odd tho. How a country with so many players and so much money and such a strong domestic culture could be SO crap for SO long, barely troubling semi finals in 40 years.

It is a statistical anomaly.
    Part of the problem with UK football is that the premier league is stuffed with foreign players because EU rules mean free movement for them so its easier for the clubs to import players than bring on good youths which in turn means the national side suffers.

Cricket faced a similar problem and solved it by banning first class teams from having more than one overseas player per team which worked because few overseas cricket players had EU passports.

So leaving the EU may do wonders for the national side in a few years.
    That argument would hold more water if it wasn't for the fact that all the other (EU) national teams seem to do better than us.
    The England team has not been anything but less than the sum of its parts more than once. People can chalk that up to the EU but if they do, I'll file them under particularly thick.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,703
    Vardy thinking: what have I done to deserve this??
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,589
    Ok, now that we're out of Europe can we go back to normal and pretend nothing's happened over the last week?
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    edited June 2016
    Embarrassing and directionless.

But enough of the UK, the football team were just as bad.

A bad week to be sure.

Iceland, on the other hand, a beautiful country and people, I might move there soon!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Iceland won't want to swap shirts with England.
  • Options
    Hodgson has a spot in the Boris bunker
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    @bet365: If you put ITV+1 on England are still in the Euros
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Well done Iceland. The independent country.
  • Options
    Tim Shipman @ShippersUnbound
    It's usually wrong to swear, even on Twitter, but what a load of abject shite but a bunch of frightened talentless overpaid c****
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,758
    Lowlander said:

Oh, I totally agree. Clive Tyldesley in particular.

English sport is in pretty good shape right now. In rugby, England have just won a series in Australia for the first time ever. In cricket, they're performing fantastically against Sri Lanka (admittedly Sri Lanka are suffering from the retirement f several great players). Only in football are England terrible. Neither of these sports gets to be ruined by ITV though, except in the rugby world cup, where England were awful.

Again - I can't emphasise this strongly enough - I blame ITV.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Iceland were just better on the night.

Its worse when your team plays better and loses.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited June 2016
    Well done Iceland.

England second rate throughout the tournament, apart from second half against Wales.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    At least Wales are still in competition
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,835
    Quite fitting that the first advert on...girl showing the loser sign.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Not sure we deserved the penalty either.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

The most profitable betting evening of my life (so far). SpreadEx has sent me a cheque, and tomorrow I shall bank it :)

I did mine from Laddies in cash. Two of the notes were £50s: I'd never seen one before - they're quite ugly, tbh.
    £100s are the worst. They're HUGE.
  • Options
    Headline writers wait years for weeks like this one.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

He should be arrested.
    He should have been fired after their woeful performance in the two previous tournaments.
  • Options
    It's the year of the underdog.
  • Options
    Who the fcuk said joe hart was a good keeper.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Well, at least we're consistent.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061
    Come on Gareth. We're all from the valleys now. It's an omen for crabbing surely.

Woys rank wankers
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Lorry drivers in Calais will be turfing stowaway English players out of their trailers tonight.

Big fucking LOL
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Well done, lads. When we Brexit, we really Brexit in style.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,166
    The Europeans have a word called Schadenfreude.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061
    Fecking text corrector.. Mr crabb.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

He should be arrested.
    He should have been fired after their woeful performance in the two previous tournaments.
    He should never have got the job in the first place.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Another nicely profitable day.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    This is what 53% of England wanted - an E-EXIT
  • Options
    nunu said:

Well done Iceland. The independent country.

If we spent the same % of GDP on Defense as Iceland, maybe we could have better footballers?
  • Options

Worst performance by England ever. Damn lucky it was only 2-1. After the first 2 games Sterling should have been on a plane home not on the pitch. Kane was so out of form in the first 2 games the bench would be generous. To start with both was just suicidal, even against Iceland.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Lowlander said:

Oh, I totally agree. Clive Tyldesley in particular.

English sport is in pretty good shape right now. In rugby, England have just won a series in Australia for the first time ever. In cricket, they're performing fantastically against Sri Lanka (admittedly Sri Lanka are suffering from the retirement f several great players). Only in football are England terrible. Neither of these sports gets to be ruined by ITV though, except in the rugby world cup, where England were awful.

Again - I can't emphasise this strongly enough - I blame ITV.
    BBC are as bad for English Football (and with Robbie Savage as bad for Weldh football).
  • Options
    Hey, guys, look on the bright side - we lasted longer than Spain!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,449
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

On a less comfortable note. If I remember correctly, your mortgage is in USD. I that is the case, then you will probably need to look at this
    I have a US Dollar mortgage on my house in the US, and a Sterling one on my house in the UK.

My sole bit of financial advice is... always match assets and liabilities
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

Everybody who bigs up the, Barclays Premier League
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    A sad fortnight to be English. First we get the fucking morons disgracing our country saying "fuck off Europe, we're voting out", then they win and vote us out, now we lose and are out.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

A cheering thought for suicidalists like Southam. Our nadir at rugby was just last year when we exited our very own World Cup in Round 1. Total humiliation. Like this.

A year later we are grand slam champions, we whitewashed Oz in Oz, we're world ranked number 2 and we have a sensational team.

I doubt we can achieve quite such a turnaround in football quite so quickly, but get the right coach, with the right attitude, and it is surprising how quickly hidden talent can be unleashed.

This is a humiliation of such magnitude that it might do the trick.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Hearing that Boris is backtracking now on plans to set up a new EFTA Cup to replace the Euros. Worried we won't beat Liechtenstein at this rate.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

I have a US Dollar mortgage on my house in the US, and a Sterling one on my house in the UK.

Isn't having your income stream denominated in the same currency as the debt more important than whether it matches the country where the property is?
  • Options
    Do you think Jezza knows there was a football match on this evening?
  • Options
    Look on the bright side folks.

At least leaving the EU hasn't made us any worse at football. :)
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,038
    Iceland declares goodwill for UK to join EFTA. This result should help. It's human nature to pity the underdog.

http://icelandreview.com/news/2016/06/27/efta-plans-cooperation-uk

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,099
    Boris Johnson can you hear me. Your boys took a hell of a beating.
  • Options
    But, Wayne Rooney is world class. That what The Sun tells me.
  • Options
    OUT said:

Everybody who bigs up the, Barclays Premier League
    I agree,if my team(Bradford city) out played the premier league champions(chelsea) in the FA cup,somethings wrong.
  • Options
    So this was the Mephistophelean pact for winning Brexit? Everything else in life will be shit...?
  • Options
    Would I be right that thinking Vardy in his 20 minutes on the pitch managed to get himself as many chances as the rest of England in the whole 90?

I dont get how Vardy did not start every game. It's implausible.

And in the end England went out to a team playing off the Leicester City playbook.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Iceland better fucking win the competition, otherwise I'm down to Wembley with me pitchfork and flaming torch. Who's with me?
  • Options
    Splits in the German coalition over Brexit. The SPD aren't happy about Merkel not pushing for a quick invocation of Article 50 and are worried about populists in other countries exploiting the situation if there isn't quick clarity on Britain leaving.

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/spd-druck-bei-brexit-die-tempomacher-a-1100044.html
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Apparently all kids in Iceland have an app on their phone which they bump with boy / girl they fancy in a bar to check if they are distantly related enough to get it on...Apparently it is common to spend the night finding everybody is your second cousin or closer...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

A cheering thought for suicidalists like Southam. Our nadir at rugby was just last year when we exited our very own World Cup in Round 1. Total humiliation. Like this.

A year later we are grand slam champions, we whitewashed Oz in Oz, we're world ranked number 2 and we have a sensational team.

I doubt we can achieve quite such a turnaround in football quite so quickly, but get the right coach, with the right attitude, and it is surprising how quickly hidden talent can be unleashed.

I gave up letting the England football team depress me years ago. But that was poor.

The England football team is uniquely awful. The talent is there, but the management is relentlessly uninspiring and cautious, and that puts too much pressure on the players.

• Options
    John_M said:

Iceland better fucking win the competition, otherwise I'm down to Wembley with me pitchfork and flaming torch. Who's with me?

France or Germany will win it. They are a class above the rest. Italy are not as good but could end up with a sneak win. I think the rest are also rans.
  • Options
    I hear Hodgson is on the phone to Corbyn asking how to hang on whilst everyone else wants you gone.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Day 4 in the Big Brexit House, and Iceland are playing football in the garden...
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    matt said:

Or to give it more colour. Cristiano Ronaldo is a jerk with an incredible work ethic and desire for self-improvement. So was David Beckham. Wayne Rooney is a potato headed granny enthusasist who gave up trying to improve some years ago. He remains a jerk.
  • Options
    @TFletcher: England squad costs 175m. If we exit, let's spend it on the NHS.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    EPG said:

The Europeans have a word called Schadenfreude.

I suspect all of our (former) friends colleagues and partners are rejoicing at the result. A fucking clusterfuck of a fortnight in a horribly diminished nation
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Iceland declares goodwill for UK to join EFTA. This result should help. It's human nature to pity the underdog.

http://icelandreview.com/news/2016/06/27/efta-plans-cooperation-uk

As long as they don't here what the commentary team were saying about them.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,840

Look on the bright side folks.

At least leaving the EU hasn't made us any worse at football. :)

My bright side is that we won't be playing France in Paris. Don't get me wrong, I'm not glad we've lost, but it does avoid a potentially sticky situation.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,411
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm trying to work out what the mechanism for that might be. I got as far as an extendable shed before I realised you probably meant savings in two different currencies... :)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Well there's no pro-England bias in this TV analysis. Brutal, lacerating, caustic.

That's because they always pivot after their hubris is undone.

By blaming the team, players, manager, they take the spotlight on how stupid their own analysis was up to the point of defeat.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Iceland will get beaten by France maybe 5-0. They are shit. It's just that England are worse.
  • Options
    Sky: Moody's putting several UK banks on negative watch including Barclays and HSBC.
  • Options
    matt said:

matt said:

Or to give it more colour. Cristiano Ronaldo is a jerk with an incredible work ethic and desire for self-improvement. So was David Beckham. Wayne Rooney is a potato headed granny enthusasist who gave up trying so years ago. He remains a jerk.
    There was a great video a couple of years ago of first day of pre season Rooney vs Ronaldo...was was overweight and blowing & the other was ripped and pumping out press up like no tomorrow.
  • Options
    @SkyNewsBreak: Sky Sources: ratings agency Moody's to change outlook for UK banks to 'negative' after EU referendum result
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited June 2016
    I'd like to say I'm not the kind of limp wristed, self hating, sneering, metropolitan guardian reader who is secretly quite pleased when the England football team crash out of international comps sparing us weeks more of this collective self delusion. But I am.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,965
    Remember when we got our dosh back from those failed Icelandic banks? Now we know what the deal was.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,449

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Isn't having your income stream denominated in the same currency as the debt more important than whether it matches the country where the property is?
    I'm a global fund manager, so my income stream is international.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Lowlander said:

John_M said:

France or Germany will win it. They are a class above the rest. Italy are not as good but could end up with a sneak win. I think the rest are also rans.
    I watch England in the Euros & Worlds, in much the same way that a medieval penitent would don a hairshirt and flagellate themselves.

It's my way of thanking the Deity that I'm a rugby fan.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

Worst performance by England ever. Damn lucky it was only 2-1. After the first 2 games Sterling should have been on a plane home not on the pitch. Kane was so out of form in the first 2 games the bench would be generous. To start with both was just suicidal, even against Iceland.
    After the first 2 games? After the first 20mins of the Russia game he should have been hooked and never seen again.
  • Options
    You seem to have missed loving sheep too much or is purely a Welsh pursuit?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SkyNewsBreak: Sky Sources: ratings agency Moody's to change outlook for UK banks to 'negative' after EU referendum result

And that was before tonight. Just unbelievably crap.
This discussion has been closed.