Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The EURef might be more like the AV referendum and not the

Comments

• Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    Though as things stand I think it's very small and marginal impacts are as follows. #1 Those like myself who see the killing on the same day as the Farage poster as a synchronicity. That the referendum rather than helping us integrate our national Shadow has simply inflamed it. #2 Centre Right Remainders who have quite bought Cameron's economic chaos argument in sufficient numbers. They'll now fear political chaos. I think these are very marginal in Electoral terms, < 1% but they'll be there.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Might be him, might not be him. (Actually it doesn't look a great deal like him)
    I think it's hm. And I think this will tilt a very finely balanced referendum to REMAIN

Honestiy, as a thriller writer, you couldn't get away with this in fiction
    Why? Who is going to change their vote over this? The vast majority of the public will see him as a madman; the only people who equate Leave and the far right are fervent Remainers.

I tend to agree... Now, if a picture ever emerges of him anywhere near Farage things could turn a bit...
    It won't cost Leave any votes. Remain's only chance is if it converts enough DKs and pushes even more of its supporters to the ballot box in its London heartlands, and from its AB vote elsewhere. But Remain are trying to squeeze every drip from a limited demographic, sadly.
    There are more ABs than C2s
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

tyson said:

@TSE

I love the way you try and search for an angle on your leads TSE. This could be like the AV referendum, and you draw some interesting comparisons. But, there is one slight flaw in your analysis. No one put any money on AV, but yet there are the majority of punters still backing remain.

BTW TSE- I ended on your twitter page or instagram page quite by chance. I am not a stalker..honest. But once reaching your page, quite by chance, I explored it a little and was intrigued by your love of 80's music. Do you like the great 80's music...the Smiths, Cure, Joy Division, New Order....or the shit 80's ,music....basically everything else?

I love all 80s music, the good music and the shit music.

I love everything from New Order to The London Boys.
    Depeche Mode are my favourite band - should be releasing another album early next year.
    New Order.

Then the rest.
  • Options
    TonyTony Posts: 159

glw said:

I have to tread carefully because I'm not 100% certain but the most interesting thing about that picture is not the man identified as Mair.
    What is interesting? (Apart from the fact that doesn't look like Mair to me)
    Think we're on the same wavelength glw, but I don't think it's the same guy on the left.
    Although the hair looks fairly similar.
    @Benedict witness.
  • Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553

glw said:

I have to tread carefully because I'm not 100% certain but the most interesting thing about that picture is not the man identified as Mair.
    Maybe it's the t-shirt. Looks like an odd choice of t-shirt for a blackshirt warrior....
    It's not Mair, although the two men do look a bit similar.

I have seen other pictures of the guy wearing the patterned woollen or fleece top. Give me a moment and I will try to get them.
  • Options
    tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

glw said:

I get your drift
    I don't...
    I'm not going to speculate. My comrade from many years past, Benedict White, hits the right note by saying it might be him, and it might not be him. Difficult to say.
    Having stared at this for a few minutes I suspect this is a photoshop job

1) The guy is wearing a t-shirt with pink on it which is a colour you don't generally associate with the far right
    2) The other 3 guys are holding the banner and staring straight ahead while the 3rd man is not holding the banner and looking in a different direction
    3) if you look at the bottom of the banner the man on the right's legs are vertically aligned with his shoulders. In the case of the 3rd man what could be a leg is aligned with his head, which suggests he would have to be leaning at an angle rather than standing straight.
    4) There seems to be some suspicious pixelation around the 2nd guy's left arm.
    5) The 3rd man seems to be out of proportion (too large) when compared with the 4th man.

I call fake.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

glw said:

I get your drift
    I don't...
    I'm not going to speculate. My comrade from many years past, Benedict White, hits the right note by saying it might be him, and it might not be him. Difficult to say.
    As in Mair. It may or may not be him...

I have no idea who anyone else is supposed to be. I can confirm I am not in that photo nor anyone else I know.

I don't mean you, the elusive Benedict White. It looks like someone else.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

@TSE

I love the way you try and search for an angle on your leads TSE. This could be like the AV referendum, and you draw some interesting comparisons. But, there is one slight flaw in your analysis. No one put any money on AV, but yet there are the majority of punters still backing remain.

BTW TSE- I ended on your twitter page or instagram page quite by chance. I am not a stalker..honest. But once reaching your page, quite by chance, I explored it a little and was intrigued by your love of 80's music. Do you like the great 80's music...the Smiths, Cure, Joy Division, New Order....or the shit 80's ,music....basically everything else?

I think the 80's was overall really quite naff on all fronts, barring Manchester, where I was growing up. Cinema wise, apart from Raging Bull- which was filmed in 1979, but released in 1980, it was utter tosh. I think we had to wait until Pulp Fiction (1994) until cinema found its feet again.
    The best Star Wars film, The Empire Strikes Back was released in 1980.
    Raiders of the Lost Arc in 1981 too
    Emmanuelle 3 to 6 too

So a friend tells me
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

glw said:

I get your drift
    I don't...

1) The guy is wearing a t-shirt with pink on it which is a colour you don't generally associate with the far right
    2) The other 3 guys are holding the banner and staring straight ahead while the 3rd man is not holding the banner and looking in a different direction
    3) if you look at the bottom of the banner the man on the right's legs are vertically aligned with his shoulders. In the case of the 3rd man what could be a leg is aligned with his head, which suggests he would have to be leaning at an angle rather than standing straight.
    5) The 3rd man seems to be out of proportion (too large) when compared with the 4th man.

I call fake.
    I think it looks fake as well but didn't want to say that in case it isn't and I look an idiot. ;)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    nunu said:

RodCrosby said:

Cox suspect sought mental health treatment the night before the killing...
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/17/jo-cox-murder-thomas-mair-asked-for-mental-health-treatment-day/

has anyone here has a serious mental illness and come through it? For me it feels like I'm stuck with it.
    VM for you.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,711
    Scott_P said:

RoyalBlue said:

Why? Who is going to change their vote over this? The vast majority of the public will see him as a madman; the only people who equate Leave and the far right are fervent Remainers.

@DPJHodges: @iainmartin1 @JuliaHB1 You see, here's the problem Iain. I haven't mentioned Leave. But for some reason, you have. Why is that.
    Quite.

As to Mair's mental health crisis - it could well be genuine, or alternatively preparation for a defence he knew he could subsequently rely upon.

Interesting that Murdoch is hedging his bets with Times REMAIN, Sun LEAVE - of course that also probably reflects the newspaper's respective readers views....
  • Options

tyson said:

@TSE

Depeche Mode are my favourite band - should be releasing another album early next year.
    New Order.

Then the rest.
    Amen-- but can we start with Joy Division and then New Order and then the others.....

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

glw said:

I get your drift
    I don't...

I call fake.
    I think it looks fake as well but didn't want to say that in case it isn't and I look an idiot. ;)
    Except it appears on the official Britain First website.

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited June 2016
    Campaigning suspendid until atleast Saturday now. How can anyone say this is a fair election ?

If Dave thinks the issue will be settled within the party now with a slim REMAIN win he's got another thing coming.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Freggles said:
    Strange how he crops up in just one of the photos.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    Having a mental illness is not the same as being insane. You are perfectly capable of holding cogent political views or violent ones. It's just that you are also ill.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

@TSE

I think the 80's was overall really quite naff on all fronts, barring Manchester, where I was growing up. Cinema wise, apart from Raging Bull- which was filmed in 1979, but released in 1980, it was utter tosh. I think we had to wait until Pulp Fiction (1994) until cinema found its feet again.
    Raiders of the Lost Arc in 1981 too
    Emmanuelle 3 to 6 too

So a friend tells me
    I am sure your friend very much appreciated the visuals!
  • Options

Freggles said:
    You have got to be kidding me.
  • Options
    Clutching at straws much?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    In some ways the thing I now really fear is a leave win and then a deal that doesn't end free movement. It would be seen as a betrayal that makes Clegg and tuition fees a minor squabble in comparison.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

glw said:

I get your drift
    I don't...

I call fake.
    The MSM don't seem to be biting, for the moment, and the pic's been on twitter for over 4 hours...
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    nunu said:

Campaigning suspendid until atleast Saturday now. How can anyone say this is a fair election ?

If Dave thinks the issue will be settled within the party now with a slim REMAIN win he's got another thing coming.

The national campaign activities are suspended, but that doesn't mean nothing is happening at a local level.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

@TSE

But filmed in 1979....Next.....

How about:

Scarface

The Breakfast Club

Ghostbusters

Full Metal Jacket

Jean de Florette

Or my particular favourite:

Babette's Feast
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Freggles said:

GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

glw said:

I get your drift
    I don't...

I call fake.

Oh well... Shows what I know (should have kept quiet)

Britain First has a website? I wouldn't dirty myself by even putting their name into Google never-mind visiting their grubby little place on the internet...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    nunu said:

What does campaigning being suspended have to do with whether it has been fair or not? Both sides have suspended their campaigns, you cannot get more fair than that. And it has been a few days out of weeks and weeks of official campaigning and years of unofficial campaigning, it isn't like the process has become invalidated by a delay.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

Jobabob said:

kle4 said:

A ridiculous request from Louise Mensch.
    I don't even understand what she is on about - was she responding to a different quote which might justify such a reaction?

You know what, I don't care.

The EU referendum was already a poisonous debate, I'm not going to start thinking about most likely cretinous conspiracy theories and absurd over politicising.

How I long for the days when politics was mere dull pablum.
    I think she is saying that Cameron and others' intimations that the murder was politically motivated, and motivated by hate of foreigners etc - and thus, subliminally, Mensch thinks, linked, however tenously, to the Leave campaign - is wrong, and thus any subliminal laying of blame at Leave's door is wrong, because it turns out, according to the Mail, that it was in fact the actions of a man suffering from mental illness and not in possession of a sound mind.

Or something.
    Mensch is best ignored by sensible supporters of both sides.
    She's also best ignored by fanatical supporters of both sides, as well as people who don't care either way.
    :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

This tweet nearly made me sick.

I don't understand what Campbell is getting at?
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    The Guardian accepts 257 voluntary redundancies https://t.co/Facy7yC7nP https://t.co/fhwjMCuXKj
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited June 2016
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:
    You have got to be kidding me.
    No, I'm not disputing the authenticity, I'm saying it's strange how everyone else seems to appear in more than one photo at more than one location, but he appears in just one in one location. What with his differing attir too, it's almost like he stumbled into these chaps doing their thing, agreed with them, helped hold up their banner, before going on his way.

I need sleep.
  • Options
    I'd forgotten what a good series Big Train was.
    Ming the Merciless watching Teletubbies.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Might be him, might not be him. (Actually it doesn't look a great deal like him)
    I think it's hm. And I think this will tilt a very finely balanced referendum to REMAIN

I tend to agree... Now, if a picture ever emerges of him anywhere near Farage things could turn a bit...
    It won't cost Leave any votes. Remain's only chance is if it converts enough DKs and pushes even more of its supporters to the ballot box in its London heartlands, and from its AB vote elsewhere. But Remain are trying to squeeze every drip from a limited demographic, sadly.
    Interesting. I'll admit I didn't know that. Turnout key. And ABs are reliable voters, as a rule.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

Well, Legal and General are not bothered about #Brexit.

Could be just a pre-emptive move to reassure shareholders. As Brexit is a 50-50 shot, it would be a brave listed company to come out and say they'd be stuffed by it.
    Well, Osborne has done that to the country...
  • Options

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

glw said:

I get your drift
    I don't...

I have no idea who anyone else is supposed to be. I can confirm I am not in that photo nor anyone else I know.
    Louise Mensch
    .@CharlesBAnthony that's not Tommy Mair. It's this guy. T. Mair is 52. you're welcome. https://t.co/ieKdmVwlbY
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Even if it is him, easy to photoshop an image of him into that photo. He is looking in a completely different direction to everyone else. And his hand is not on the banner, unlike the others.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    Freggles said:

GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

glw said:

I get your drift
    I don't...

I call fake.

FWIW, the legs look completely off-kilter for me & it's also a bit odd that he only appears in one photo (in radically different clothing). Then again it is on the BF website. Perhaps he may have been a member but wasn't due to take part, but when he walked past he decided to pose for a photo.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Freggles said:
    It would imply he was present at one site, not part of the whole event.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

@TSE

It was released in 1980. That's when we first got to see it. Next...

Other 80s classics, film-wise include:

The Breakfast Club
    Die Hard
    Aliens
    Beverley Hills Cop
    Escape from New York
    Terminator
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    Superman II
    Blade Runner
    E.T.
    Back to the Future
    Predator
    Footloose
    Dirty Dancing
    Tootsie
    Ghostbusters

Um... to name a few :)
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255

In some ways the thing I now really fear is a leave win and then a deal that doesn't end free movement. It would be seen as a betrayal that makes Clegg and tuition fees a minor squabble in comparison.

To return to exactly what we were discussing before the terrible event, if this were to happen it would be entirely the fault of the leave campaign.
  • Options

Having a mental illness is not the same as being insane. You are perfectly capable of holding cogent political views or violent ones. It's just that you are also ill.

I think you are absolutely right...and it was really brave of Nunu earlier to talk of his or her mental illness.

I think we should re-label people as criminally insane as clearly this person was yesterday, and those others who are bravely, struggling on, as mentally ill, who are suffering from a debilitating illness that is impacting on their lives. We should not conflate the criminally insane with mental illness....

• Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

@TSE

Does that mean we count Goodfellas as an 80's film?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    PlatoSaid said:

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

glw said:

I get your drift
    I don't...

Louise Mensch
    .@CharlesBAnthony that's not Tommy Mair. It's this guy. T. Mair is 52. you're welcome. https://t.co/ieKdmVwlbY
    I really did not want to comment on the photo earlier. However, the t-shirt seemed like an unusual choice for a 52 year old man.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

HYUFD said:

Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Interesting. I'll admit I didn't know that. Turnout key. And ABs are reliable voters, as a rule.
    Indeed, C1s are the most numerous, then DEs, then ABs, then C2s
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

@TSE

The Breakfast Club
    Die Hard
    Aliens
    Beverley Hills Cop
    Escape from New York
    Terminator
    Superman II
    Blade Runner
    E.T.
    Back to the Future
    Predator
    Footloose
    Dirty Dancing
    Tootsie
    Ghostbusters

Local Hero!!!
  • Options
    Freggles said:
    Curiously the chap I presume is supposed to be Mair (The chap in the hat) is only in one photo and doesn't looked engaged.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    https://www.britainfirst.org NSFW but that's the website. The front page is dominated with referendum stories in general and pieces on the coverage of the Jo Cox murder in particular.
  • Options
    There are some very serious issues of natural justice here with conflicting witness statements being bandied around on the media;allegations of impartial witnesses;
    hearsay and therefore inadmissible evidence being published in the press;prejudicial
    information on police searches apparently being leaked and published;politicians making allegations about motive publically potentially
    photoshopped or out of context photos being published on the internet.The Police need to get a grip quickly as this is turning into a legal minefield.I think the chance of a fair trial now
    is nil.
  • Options
    Tony said:

glw said:

Think we're on the same wavelength glw, but I don't think it's the same guy on the left.
    @Benedict witness.
    Not sure who you mean and who it is supposed to be,
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

Well, Legal and General are not bothered about #Brexit.

Could be just a pre-emptive move to reassure shareholders. As Brexit is a 50-50 shot, it would be a brave listed company to come out and say they'd be stuffed by it.
    Well, Osborne has done that to the country...
    Contrary to popular belief, Osborne has a political duty to the citizens of the country, not a fiduciary duty to the people who own the country, so his obligations are quite different to those of a CEO. :)
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

@TSE

The 80s were superb. The music was superb - the Jam (til 82), the Clash, the Undrrtones, the Pogues, Dexys. Cheap football, beer and fags, great clubs, signing on and housing benefit, then three years in Spain. First child in 1990 and everything changed. Very different in the 1990s, but also brilliant. Being young is just good. Even when it's crap.

• Options
    Ha, good stuff

Residents living in a village sharing its name with Batman's city of Gotham were told their address did not exist when they phoned the local council.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-36550622

In fairness, there are plenty of villages in this country that sound like they could not possibly be real. High Ham, Nempnett Thrubwell, Kingsbury Episcopi, Newton Poppleford, Ebbesbourne Wake, Collingbourne Ducis, Lytchett Matravers, Wrestlingworth

Gods, I love this country
  • Options

There are some very serious issues of natural justice here with conflicting witness statements being bandied around on the media;allegations of impartial witnesses;
    hearsay and therefore inadmissible evidence being published in the press;prejudicial
    information on police searches apparently being leaked and published;politicians making allegations about motive publically potentially
    photoshopped or out of context photos being published on the internet.The Police need to get a grip quickly as this is turning into a legal minefield.I think the chance of a fair trial now
    is nil.

I think this is what mensch was getting at.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

glw said:

I get your drift
    I don't...

I don't mean you, the elusive Benedict White. It looks like someone else.
    I know you don't mean me, but buggered if I know who anyone in that photo is supposed to be.
  • Options
    dodrade said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

@TSE

Does that mean we count Goodfellas as an 80's film?
    OMG- I watched Goodfellas on it's release in Times Square in 1990. It was an afternoon. I don't think I have ever felt such excitement being fully clothed, and without the influence of chemicals ever. I love that film.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    TOPPING said:

geoffw said:

What are we going to do with all that sovereignty when we win?
    I propose banishing the FT to Frankfurt.

I think you will find that they need access to our money markets more than our money markets need access to them. That is why London trade more $s than New York and China came to London as well.
    You do not understand why leaving the EU would be so damaging to The City.

Having explained it here a thousand times, and to save every other poster's sanity, I am not going to tell you why it would be. You can google stuff.

Here's a hint ( @Cyclefree look away now).
    I know all about this stuff. I deal with it every day at work. You have to measure this risk against the risks to the City of staying in and, of course, of all the other advantages/disadvantages of staying or going.

Still, vote Remain to save the City has a certain ring to it, no? And will go down well with many outside London, I'm sure.

• Options

https://www.britainfirst.org NSFW but that's the website. The front page is dominated with referendum stories in general and pieces on the coverage of the Jo Cox murder in particular.

Ugh! I think I'll refrain from clicking...
  • Options
    TonyTony Posts: 159

Tony said:

glw said:

@Benedict witness.
    Sent you a private message.
  • Options

is nil.

Which is completely lost by her calling on Cameron to resign without immediately obvious context.
  • Options

is nil.

Yes and she is right.I am a solicitor and I can confirm that the Court will have a real problem with these issues if there is a murder charge and Mair pleads an insanity defence.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

@TSE

The Breakfast Club
    Die Hard
    Aliens
    Beverley Hills Cop
    Escape from New York
    Terminator
    Superman II
    Blade Runner
    E.T.
    Back to the Future
    Predator
    Footloose
    Dirty Dancing
    Tootsie
    Ghostbusters

Local Hero!!!
    The Shining
    Das Boot
    The Elephant Man
    Breaker Morant
    The Killing Fields
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Ha, good stuff

Residents living in a village sharing its name with Batman's city of Gotham were told their address did not exist when they phoned the local council.

In fairness, there are plenty of villages in this country that sound like they could not possibly be real. High Ham, Nempnett Thrubwell, Kingsbury Episcopi, Newton Poppleford, Ebbesbourne Wake, Collingbourne Ducis, Lytchett Matravers, Wrestlingworth

What the article doesn't say is why Gotham got its reputation for madness. It is said that it was because in medieval times the village didn't want a King's highway traversing their parish as they would have to pay to maintain it. So they feigned madness - which was supposedly catching - so that the road would be routed elsewhere.
  • Options

The Breakfast Club- shit
    Die Hard- shit, but kinda of fun
    Aliens- shit- but passes 2 and a half hours
    Beverley Hills Cop- really shit, and dated
    Escape from New York-shit, and crap
    Terminator-not bad, perhaps
    Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan-shit
    Superman II-OK(ish)
    Blade Runner- I'll give you this one- but ahead of it's time by at least 15 years
    E.T.- mawkish shit
    Back to the Future- shit
    Predator- shit
    Footloose- shit, shit
    Dirty Dancing- fucking shit
    Tootsie- sort of alright
    Ghostbuster-juvenile shit

Local Hero!!!- sentimental shit

@above

I have just objectively critiqued the above 80's classics for you

• Options
    John_N4John_N4 Posts: 553

Interesting that Murdoch is hedging his bets with Times REMAIN, Sun LEAVE - of course that also probably reflects the newspaper's respective readers views....

The last time the Sun backed the losing side in a British general election or referendum was in 1974. In 1997 the Times backed the Tories.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

geoffw said:

I think you will find that they need access to our money markets more than our money markets need access to them. That is why London trade more $s than New York and China came to London as well.

Having explained it here a thousand times, and to save every other poster's sanity, I am not going to tell you why it would be. You can google stuff.

I know all about this stuff. I deal with it every day at work. You have to measure this risk against the risks to the City of staying in and, of course, of all the other advantages/disadvantages of staying or going.

Still, vote Remain to save the City has a certain ring to it, no? And will go down well with many outside London, I'm sure.

It may not go down well, but this country is very dependent on London. Without it, taxes would be a lot higher and/or there would be even further cuts to public services. It's silly to pretend otherwise.

• Options

is nil.

She's incensed about it.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    I walked miles with five kids (all under the age of 10; not all mine!) and my ancient dog tonight. The world is a much happier, rewarding place when spent with children. Makes it extra sad that two have lost their Mam.

The Twitterati is bonkers. You look at it and think WTF and then can't help but get involved too! I must stay away from my phone!!

Safe to say, if Brexit happens next week it will be the gateway to the biggest gnashing of lefty, privileged, metropolitan teeth in the history of teeth gnashing.

Fuck me. Those guys hate us feckless, stupid, ignorant working classes. How dare we vote in a way they don't agree with? I almost find myself agreeing that I'm an ignorant racist scumbag.

I must stay away from my phone.....
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

geoffw said:

Well it might not go down well with people who are prejudiced against London (which is very many of them) but that doesn't stop it being an important consideration.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

@TSE

The Breakfast Club
    Die Hard
    Aliens
    Beverley Hills Cop
    Escape from New York
    Terminator
    Superman II
    Blade Runner
    E.T.
    Back to the Future
    Predator
    Footloose
    Dirty Dancing
    Tootsie
    Ghostbusters

Local Hero!!!
    The Shining
    Das Boot
    The Elephant Man
    Breaker Morant
    The Killing Fields
    American werewolf in london.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047

To return to exactly what we were discussing before the terrible event, if this were to happen it would be entirely the fault of the leave campaign.
    Of course it would but it isn't a scenario I look forward to.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

glw said:

I get your drift
    I don't...

Louise Mensch
    That's awkward.
  • Options
    John_N4 said:

The last time the Sun backed the losing side in a British general election or referendum was in 1974. In 1997 the Times backed the Tories.
    The Times did not back the Tories in 1997, it advocated its readers back eurosceptic candidates from all the main parties
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Its grammatical mistakes were enough for me. Don't bother.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited June 2016
    John_N4 said:

No they didn't.

In 1997 they didn't back any party, they urged voters to vote for the most eurosceptic candidate in their constituency.

So they endorsed the likes of Michael Portillo, Tony Benn, Sir James Goldsmith, and erm Nick Palmer
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    tyson said:

@above

You have gone from being just deluded to my all time arch enemy Mr Tyson. You can slag off democracy all you like but when you start slagging off one of the greatest films ever made you really have crossed a line!!!!

In jest of course but still DEADLY SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(You can tell by the number of exclamation marks)
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

@TSE

The Breakfast Club
    Die Hard
    Aliens
    Beverley Hills Cop
    Escape from New York
    Terminator
    Superman II
    Blade Runner
    E.T.
    Back to the Future
    Predator
    Footloose
    Dirty Dancing
    Tootsie
    Ghostbusters

Local Hero!!!
    The Shining
    Das Boot
    The Elephant Man
    Breaker Morant
    The Killing Fields
    It was amazing at the time, but seems incredibly weak and dated now (CGI era)...
  • Options

The Shining- arthouse shit
    Das Boot- not bad, but too long
    The Elephant Man- over the top and arthouse shit
    Breaker Morant- OK for a TV drama
    The Killing Fields- fucking dated and sentimental shit if you watch it again

@above

I've just given a further objective critique on those batch of 80's films.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Jobabob said:

GIN1138 said:

Its grammatical mistakes were enough for me. Don't bother.
    As in "real life" I'm careful not to enter into cesspits when I'm online. I appreciate others will want to out of curiosity if nothing else, but it's not for me...
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

is nil.

She's incensed about it.
    Your not kidding ;-)

Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch
    Louise Mensch Retweeted Dick Mackintosh
    Fuck off and withdraw your trolling tweet of the photo of a Britain First activist who is NOT mentally ill Tom Mair

Dick Mackintosh
    @DickMackintosh
    Why are you spinning the assassination of Jo Cox to further your campaign to leave the EU @LouiseMensch
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

PlatoSaid said:

tyson said:

GIN1138 said:

tyson said:

glw said:

I get your drift
    I don't...

Louise Mensch
    I really did not want to comment on the photo earlier. However, the t-shirt seemed like an unusual choice for a 52 year old man.
    Shows what I know about photoshopping but still very weird that the 3rd guy was dressed so differently to the others
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

is nil.

She's incensed about it.
    So much so she called for the resignation of the PM.

Answers on a postcard.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

@TSE

The Breakfast Club
    Die Hard
    Aliens
    Beverley Hills Cop
    Escape from New York
    Terminator
    Superman II
    Blade Runner
    E.T.
    Back to the Future
    Predator
    Footloose
    Dirty Dancing
    Tootsie
    Ghostbusters

Local Hero!!!
    The Shining
    Das Boot
    The Elephant Man
    Breaker Morant
    The Killing Fields
    It was amazing at the time, but seems incredibly weak and dated now (CGI era)...
    Oh I disagree. I think the make-up and special effects is still magnificent today. Great film.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    edited June 2016
    tyson said:

.It was released in 1980. That's when we first got to see it. Next...

The Breakfast Club- shit
    Superman II-OK(ish)
    Blade Runner- I'll give you this one- but ahead of it's time by at least 15 years
    E.T.- mawkish shit
    Back to the Future- shit
    Predator- shit
    Footloose- shit, shit
    Tootsie- sort of alright

@above

Utterly deluded, just like your politics1
  • Options

tyson said:

@above

You have gone from being just deluded to my all time arch enemy Mr Tyson. You can slag off democracy all you like but when you start slagging off one of the greatest films ever made you really have crossed a line!!!!

In jest of course but still DEADLY SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy to join you in the Local Hero appreciation society. A wonderful film. So beautifully shot.

• Options

American werewolf in london- dated shit, but Jenny Agutter gets her kit off, which is a plus

@above

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,711
    PlatoSaid said:

is nil.

She's incensed about it.
    This too: That point being the witnesses who say BNP guy is lying are Muslims
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

is nil.

She's incensed about it.

Answers on a postcard.
    Lost the plot today I fear... she's also retweeted perhaps 1000 times today too.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Ha, good stuff

What the article doesn't say is why Gotham got its reputation for madness. It is said that it was because in medieval times the village didn't want a King's highway traversing their parish as they would have to pay to maintain it. So they feigned madness - which was supposedly catching - so that the road would be routed elsewhere.
    Apparently rural folk are wily when it comes to feigning matters. Like the one about smugglers raking up stashed goods from a pond, caught by local officials, and claimed they were trying to rake in the reflection of the moon as they thought it a cheese. I presume the story is apocryphal, but I'm still proud to be a moonraker.
  • Options
    I'm not making any claims of identity for anyone in that photo. Just saying it doesn't seem faked. I'm sure if there are links to particular groups, there will be better evidence than what we can Google out there.
    It's just incredible how far people will go to push this one way or the other
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Wall Street 1988, Platoon 1987, Top Gun, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Stand By Me 1986, Batman 1989, Amadeus 1984, The Terminator 1984, Nightmare on Elm Street 1984, Dead Poets Society 1989
  • Options

tyson said:

The Breakfast Club- shit
    Superman II-OK(ish)
    E.T.- mawkish shit
    Back to the Future- shit
    Predator- shit
    Footloose- shit, shit
    Tootsie- sort of alright

@above

Was there a single film released between 1980 and 1989 that wasn't some variant of shit?
  • Options
    tyson said:

American werewolf in london- dated shit, but Jenny Agutter gets her kit off, which is a plus

@above

So what was your best film of the 80's ?
  • Options
    Fenster said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

@TSE

The Breakfast Club
    Die Hard
    Aliens
    Beverley Hills Cop
    Escape from New York
    Terminator
    Superman II
    Blade Runner
    E.T.
    Back to the Future
    Predator
    Footloose
    Dirty Dancing
    Tootsie
    Ghostbusters

Local Hero!!!
    The Shining
    Das Boot
    The Elephant Man
    Breaker Morant
    The Killing Fields
    Oh I disagree. I think the make-up and special effects is still magnificent today. Great film.
    Well it sure seemed an improvement on Lon Chaney, in 1981...
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Jobabob said:

tyson said:

The Breakfast Club- shit
    Superman II-OK(ish)
    E.T.- mawkish shit
    Back to the Future- shit
    Predator- shit
    Footloose- shit, shit
    Tootsie- sort of alright

@above

Was there a single film released between 1980 and 1989 that wasn't some variant of shit?
    Policy Academy 5
  • Options
    It's appalling to insinuate people with mental illness are insane, as Louise Mensch seems to be doing.
  • Options
    Tony said:

Tony said:

glw said:

@Benedict witness.
    Sent you a private message.
    Actually you posted on my wall... (Now deleted.)

No, can't quite see that either... May be but no more likely than Mair.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

It's appalling to insinuate people with mental illness are insane, as Louise Mensch seems to be doing.

You can imagine what it was like when her and Tim got going, lol! :smiley:
  • Options
    RealBritainRealBritain Posts: 255

Jobabob said:

PlatoSaid said:

is nil.

She's incensed about it.

Answers on a postcard.
    Lost the plot today I fear... she's also retweeted perhaps 1000 times today too.
    As a totally off-topic and possibly useless point to lighten the grimness, despite never agreeing with her I do always find her very attractive.
  • Options

tyson said:

@above

You and Southam- you are a couple of sentimental saddos. A bit of mawkish music, a red telephone box on a Scottish beach, a box of hankies and that's it, you are completely goners

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Happy to join you in the Local Hero appreciation society. A wonderful film. So beautifully shot.

My erstwhile colleague worked on it. Pennan is a magical place. Well worth a visit if you are in the area
This discussion has been closed.