Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will Keir Starmer face leadership challenge before the next general election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,616
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

I've just realised (I'm watching Raymond Blanc on TV) that I have NEVER HAD A FONDUE

Obviously not a skier. It is very overrated (fondue not skiing)
    It always looks so good on TV, or in books. Melted cheese and wine and garlic. Is it not?

I DO think skiing is overrated. I did it once, in the Pyrenees, for one day, when a friend took me to the top of a mountain and pushed me off - down a black run. By the end of the day, after falling over 89 times, I was skiiing

But. meh. Cold, snow, snooty people, generalised euro-wankiness

I decided that scuba would be my thing. Sun, warmth, like being a cosmonaut underwater. Love it
    It gets very boring very quickly.

Re skiing, as someone who was a black/yellow run skier I am somewhat skeptical to put it mildly that you were put on a black run on your first day and you are here to post and your friend wasn't up for manslaughter.
    I dunno. Honestly. He swears it is true, to this day

I was an absolute novice, he was an experienced skiier, we were both in our early 20s, he was as big an idiot as me, he claims he took me to the top of a black run (coz he wanted to do it) and then thought Fuck it, and pushed me off

I remember being absolutely terrified, it was basically a cliff, almost vertical. And I fell down the whole way. Then I did it again, and again, and again, til I was standing up

If it wasn't a black run it was certainly something pretty daunting. Is that yellow run? I have no idea. I don't ski
    It was definitely NOT a nursery slope, it was right at the top of a big Pyrenee
    Yellows are pretty rare. They are unpisted runs and usually more difficult than blacks.

Look up the Tortin at Verbier. It is one of the most scary runs in the world. I have done it once. Most people turn back after peering over the edge. It took me ages to work out how to start. At the end I was drenched with sweat from the physical effort and fear. It was worth it.

You also can get solitude and great views from these runs. There is a stunning one at Zermatt.
  • Options
    *Shocked*

Turns out that Prevent document lumping Brexit in with the far-right was in fact fake news.

https://twitter.com/DamCou/status/1449724542306459651
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Taz said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Talking of food, I have just cooked myself

Dover Sole meuniere

Some lovely steamed potatoes with smoked sea salt butter

Cavolo Nero flash fried with garlic, chili flakes, kampot, and Ticino herbed saltflakes

Absolutely bloody lovely. You will have to take my word for it. One of the problems of lockdown is that I have learned to cook a lot of things so restaurants are much less impressive, and their prices therefore much more objectionable. A lot of this stuff is not hard

Agree, I rarely pay for pizza anywhere now. It's so easy and we've got an outdoor oven. £12-15 for a pizza is a joke when it's realistically £1-3 worth of ingredients, maybe £4 with luxury toppings like truffle.
    We’re happy to buy pizza from good quality pizzerias or vans with the stoves. Can’t beat them. Would never buy a domino style one at all. They’re a doddle to make. Getting the dough right is easy and I use a little semolina flour in mine.
    Domino's isn't actually pizza, is it? I can understand other people paying for a good pizza, I wouldn't, though I've got about 10 years of experience making them at home.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,155
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

I've just realised (I'm watching Raymond Blanc on TV) that I have NEVER HAD A FONDUE

It always looks so good on TV, or in books. Melted cheese and wine and garlic. Is it not?

I DO think skiing is overrated. I did it once, in the Pyrenees, for one day, when a friend took me to the top of a mountain and pushed me off - down a black run. By the end of the day, after falling over 89 times, I was skiiing

I decided that scuba would be my thing. Sun, warmth, like being a cosmonaut underwater. Love it
    I love skiing, not that I've been for more than twenty years. What could be more invigorating that hurtling down the side of a mountain at top speed?

It definitely plays to my nature though, as an early morning cold weather person. The pistes are at their best first thing when the overnight fall of snow is as yet untouched by those skiers still in bed.

One of the main reasons I like cycling is that freewheeling down a hill, with the wind rushing past me, is the closest I can come to the sensation of skiing away from the snow.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Dover Sole meuniere

Cavolo Nero flash fried with garlic, chili flakes, kampot, and Ticino herbed saltflakes

Absolutely bloody lovely. You will have to take my word for it. One of the problems of lockdown is that I have learned to cook a lot of things so restaurants are much less impressive, and their prices therefore much more objectionable. A lot of this stuff is not hard

The 'mediocre middle' restaurants have been struggling for years before covid.

It may actually have helped them by giving them handouts while they were closed and then encouraging customers to flock to them when they were open.

What they'll do when the novelty of going back to restaurants wears off is another question.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Dover Sole meuniere

Agree, I rarely pay for pizza anywhere now. It's so easy and we've got an outdoor oven. £12-15 for a pizza is a joke when it's realistically £1-3 worth of ingredients, maybe £4 with luxury toppings like truffle.
    Sainsbury's deep-crust veggie pizza from the hot food counter - £4.50.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,007
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Re skiing, as someone who was a black/yellow run skier I am somewhat skeptical to put it mildly that you were put on a black run on your first day and you are here to post and your friend wasn't up for manslaughter.

I was an absolute novice, he was an experienced skiier, we were both in our early 20s, he was as big an idiot as me, he claims he took me to the top of a black run (coz he wanted to do it) and then thought Fuck it, and pushed me off

I remember being absolutely terrified, it was basically a cliff, almost vertical. And I fell down the whole way. Then I did it again, and again, and again, til I was standing up

If it wasn't a black run it was certainly something pretty daunting. Is that yellow run? I have no idea. I don't ski
    Yellows are pretty rare. They are unpisted runs and usually more difficult than blacks.

Look up the Tortin at Verbier. It is one of the most scary runs in the world. I have done it once. Most people turn back after peering over the edge. It took me ages to work out how to start. At the end I was drenched with sweat from the physical effort and fear. It was worth it.

You also can get solitude and great views from these runs. There is a stunning one at Zermatt.
    Actually, yes, I can imagine there is an amazing buzz from these super-tough pistes. Or off-pistes. All danger brings endorphines

I just remember thinking, at some point in my 20s, you can't do everything, but you need an adventurous sport, and scuba is just a lot easier (once you've learned) and fantastically exciting at its best (as I am sure skiing is), and - also - you tend to go to lovely warm sunny places to do it, especially in Asia, and that was it. I was sold

Scuba is definitely not without danger. I nearly drowned once, off Corsica. A drunken Italian scuba dude, with one client, sipping neat spirits in the boat.
  • Options

*Shocked*

Turns out that Prevent document lumping Brexit in with the far-right was in fact fake news.

No one said it was. Or, at least, I didn't. It was guidance from the GLA for stakeholders implementing Prevent. As I said on here
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,155
    edited October 2021
    jayfdee said:

Renewable Baseload Power?
    The wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine all the time....
    ... but
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJunxkln578

But what?
    Hope it comes to pass, but I also doubt it.
    I went to a seminar in 2002* in which the speaker was touting the potential for solar power from the Sahara to be used to satisfy the UK's energy needs.

I'd be a bit nervous about the potential for a single point of failure in the cable.

* You have to wonder why it hasn't happened yet.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,578
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Actually, yes, I can imagine there is an amazing buzz from these super-tough pistes. Or off-pistes. All danger brings endorphines

I just remember thinking, at some point in my 20s, you can't do everything, but you need an adventurous sport, and scuba is just a lot easier (once you've learned) and fantastically exciting at its best (as I am sure skiing is), and - also - you tend to go to lovely warm sunny places to do it, especially in Asia, and that was it. I was sold

Scuba is definitely not without danger. I nearly drowned once, off Corsica. A drunken Italian scuba dude, with one client, sipping neat spirits in the boat.
    When I was in NZ I covered the South Island hyperbaric chamber, used for the bends. It rather put me off, so I gave up diving in favour of snorkeling. Most marine life is in the top few metres as light dependent.

Skiing was great though, with the same sort of thrill as motorcycling.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,359
    edited October 2021
    Leon said:

*Shocked*

No one said it was. Or, at least, I didn't. It was guidance from the GLA for stakeholders implementing Prevent. As I said on here
    You literally posted the Tweet Damien deleted which said that.
  • Options

Leon said:

*Shocked*

You literally quoted the Tweet Damien deleted which said that.
    Go back to my comment. Read what I wrote
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Dover Sole meuniere

If you buy a £15 pizza then the chances are as much is going to HMRC as VAT* as the actual raw food cost.

Labour and delivery charges will be the prime cost for the business selling the pizza, not the food itself.

* Normally with 20% VAT, not right now with 5% VAT.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kjh said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Why can we distinguish between culture and religion when it comes to Christianity but not when it comes to Islam?

The Bible says we should stone a woman to death for adultery but if a country implements that policy nobody is going to blame that on Christianity.

Find me a country implementing biblical law to real life and I'll condemn it.
    USA Red States, way they're going. Joke, but only just.
    Sadly not a joke given what's happening on Texas over women's rights and I've condemned them multiple times, really hoping the SCOTUS will restore those rights and over the long term those Californians moving to Texas will mean a Democratic governor.
    The liberal majority in California will stay there as it is already a blue state.

It is conservatives in California who will be more likely to move to red states seeking lower taxes and more conservative values.

Now continue Hispanic immigration to Texas might turn it more blue but then there are also plenty of pro life Hispanic Catholics
    A California republican voter isn't the same as a Texas republican voter. Additionally, where's your evidence that it's all GOO voters moving, from my anecdotes of friends it's mostly younger people struggling to get on the California property ladder that are moving and they're all pretty solid Dem voters. All four of the people I know who have made the journey are absolutely solid blue voters, and while I'm sure that's not a representative sample it does rather undermine your made up idea that it's all GOP voters moving to Texas.
    Actually on the whole they are.

A California Republican voter will tend to live in rural parts of the state, be religious and often evangelical just as a Texas Republican voter is.

Certainly there has been plenty of movement of California conservatives to Arizona and Texas is no doubt the same.

Yes there might be a few California liberals moving from LA county or San Francisco to liberal areas of Texas like Austin but they will be the minority

@HYUFD - it is the urban and suburban areas of Texas which have been growing, and which have also been becoming more Democrat.

That does not suggest that it is California conservatives which are moving.
    Trump won 232 counties out of 254 in Texas in 2020, Biden just 22.

Trump also won 22 out of 36 Texan congressional districts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_presidential_election_in_Texas
    You've proved my point. Look at the population growth of those 22 counties.

https://www.kxan.com/news/national-news/us-census/data-heres-how-texas-population-increased-in-the-past-decade-according-to-the-2020-census/#:~:text=Hays County grew at the,top five fastest-growing counties.

The fastest growing county in Texas - Hays - flipped from Trump to Biden.
    Interestingly if you determined the winner of Texas via FPTP of the Counties (like how the Electoral College is determined) then Biden won a landslide.

The 22 counties that Biden won cast a total of 6,260,179 votes
    The 232 counties that Trump won cast a total of 5,054,877 votes
    Gosh that is remarkable. I'd that due to gerrymandering or disproportionate turnout or what?
    Err, no. It’s because those counties that the Democrat won had the biggest populations. And also substantial minorities of Republican voters.

However, it’s moot because that is not how the system works.

Anyway, on gerrymandering, here is a classic example of a partisan state heavily zigzagging it’s districts to rig the seats in one party’s favour. I’m sure those who criticise sharply states such as Texas for being a threat to democracy will do exactly the same here:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/2021/10/15/22729243/rep-marie-newman-democratic-illinois-congressional-map-redistricting-rep-adam-kinzinger
    Mr Ed makes very good point, as illustrated by the actual proposed map (source is conservative think tank, but map is still the map)

https://files.illinoispolicy.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Illinois-congress-map.jpg

Note that the late Phil Burton of San Franciso (Nancy Pelosi now represents his old US House district) who was a major trailblazer (for the Democrats) in using computers for redistricting, called one of his creations (as enacted by the CA legislature) as "my contribution to modern art".

Further note that Burton once told a gay GOP friend of his, that he could design a gay Republican district (presumably in Bay area) for him; sadly (or not) the friend demurred.

Also note that number of state have moved in recent years from legislative redistricting (usually suject to gubernatorial approval/veto) to redistricting conducted by commissions of various compositions. Surprisingly (or not) most of the states that have made the switch are Democratic or leaning that way.

One consequence of this disparity, is that legislative Democrats in states where the legislature draws the lines (subject in all cases, like commission-drafted districts, to judicial review) have been inclined to play hardball this cycle, even more than per usual. As for Republicans, the loyal followers of You-Know-Who assure that ambitious politico have even more incentive than usual to screw the Democrats as much as possible.

BTW, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has taken a middle course, with a new commission redrawing congressional districts, but the legislature redistricting itself. Clearly in the Keystone State, the powers that be in Harrisburg do NOT believe that charity begins at home!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    edited October 2021

Leon said:

*Shocked*

How dare you bring facts into a discussion with Leon?

Why, you’ll be saying he’s not telling the truth about his occupation as a leading knapper of flint dildos next.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,849
    MaxPB said:

Taz said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Dover Sole meuniere

We’re happy to buy pizza from good quality pizzerias or vans with the stoves. Can’t beat them. Would never buy a domino style one at all. They’re a doddle to make. Getting the dough right is easy and I use a little semolina flour in mine.
    Domino's isn't actually pizza, is it? I can understand other people paying for a good pizza, I wouldn't, though I've got about 10 years of experience making them at home.
    OK in an emergency
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Dover Sole meuniere

If you buy a £15 pizza then the chances are as much is going to HMRC as VAT* as the actual raw food cost.

Labour and delivery charges will be the prime cost for the business selling the pizza, not the food itself.

Perhaps PBers should lobby for a tax specifically targeted on (or rather against) pineapple on pizza?
  • Options

jayfdee said:

... but

But what?
    I went to a seminar in 2002* in which the speaker was touting the potential for solar power from the Sahara to be used to satisfy the UK's energy needs.

I'd be a bit nervous about the potential for a single point of failure in the cable.

It has, it happened 19 years ago between 2001 and 2003.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Dover Sole meuniere

Perhaps PBers should lobby for a tax specifically targeted on (or rather against) pineapple on pizza?
    But that would be profiting from gross immorality and the weakness of others.

We might as well tax prostitution.
  • Options

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

I love skiing, not that I've been for more than twenty years. What could be more invigorating that hurtling down the side of a mountain at top speed?

It definitely plays to my nature though, as an early morning cold weather person. The pistes are at their best first thing when the overnight fall of snow is as yet untouched by those skiers still in bed.

One of the main reasons I like cycling is that freewheeling down a hill, with the wind rushing past me, is the closest I can come to the sensation of skiing away from the snow.
    I agree. Catamaran sailing on a trapeze is the only thing for me that matches it for excitement without unreasonable danger.

Sadly this is all in the past for me now. It is how I met my wife. Myself and another guy were asked to take a bunch of girls out one by one who were learning to windsurf. We had 2 Hobies. He put the harness on them, told them what to do and then whispered to us to fly the hulls as high as we dare. Each one screamed all the way but none bottled out which was fortunate as we would have capsized if any did.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited October 2021
    Leon said:

There used to be a restaurant in Montmatre that just did fondues; meat ones for the main course and then a traditional cheese one. It also served wine in baby bottles for some reason.

I think I enjoyed it, though my main memory of that evening is walking home through the streets of Paris singing Gilbert and Sullivan. We may have had too much to drink.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Leon said:

*Shocked*

I saved you the effort. Here's my comment:

"Incredible

The people who run Prevent - which the Somalian assassin was subscribed to - are taught this:

‘This training should revolve around contemporary issues such as the rise of right wing extremism in schools, universities and public spaces, Brexit and hate crime’

That’s right. Just quietly slot Brexit - a democratic vote by 17.4m people - alongside ‘right wing extremism’ and ‘hate crime’"

+++

At no point do I say "this is what Prevent says"

Because it doesn't. This is the guidance from the GLA given TO stakeholders implementing Prevent

Being a good PB-er, before commenting, I actually went back to the sources. You know. Actual research. Checking my facts. Here it is. You'll find the offending remark in Annexe 3

https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/cve_strategy_20_8_19.pdf

The whole document is astounding. It's all about combating extremism but for the first 20 of about 30 pages it bangs on and on - exclusively - about "right wing extremism in white London communities". I do not joke. Read it

Only at about page 23 is there the first pained mention of "Islam" as perhaps also being an issue. The whole thing is a Woke Joke
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

"unpisted runs:

Must say, if yours truly found himself hurtling down a icy mountainside, I'd be having the runs AND pissing myself!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,325
    ydoethur said:

jayfdee said:

... but

But what?

It has, it happened 19 years ago between 2001 and 2003.
    There have been some considerable improvements in the efficiency of long distance power transmission, IIRC.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930
    My first experience of fondue was on football trip to the Netherlands. A chairman of the club I was invited with the captain to the house of the manager of our opponent for a meal. At the table we were presented with a plate of raw meat (turned out to be horse). After a few hesitations we were told to dip the meat in the fondue vessels in the centre of the table.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Why can we distinguish between culture and religion when it comes to Christianity but not when it comes to Islam?

The Bible says we should stone a woman to death for adultery but if a country implements that policy nobody is going to blame that on Christianity.

Sadly not a joke given what's happening on Texas over women's rights and I've condemned them multiple times, really hoping the SCOTUS will restore those rights and over the long term those Californians moving to Texas will mean a Democratic governor.
    The liberal majority in California will stay there as it is already a blue state.

It is conservatives in California who will be more likely to move to red states seeking lower taxes and more conservative values.

Now continue Hispanic immigration to Texas might turn it more blue but then there are also plenty of pro life Hispanic Catholics
    A California republican voter isn't the same as a Texas republican voter. Additionally, where's your evidence that it's all GOO voters moving, from my anecdotes of friends it's mostly younger people struggling to get on the California property ladder that are moving and they're all pretty solid Dem voters. All four of the people I know who have made the journey are absolutely solid blue voters, and while I'm sure that's not a representative sample it does rather undermine your made up idea that it's all GOP voters moving to Texas.
    I think you are absolutely correct about who is moving: the reality is that LA/SF/The Valley are all ridiculously expensive places to live. A software engineer earning $120k/year (which is hardly a pittance) with a wife earning $60k (also not a pittance) will struggle to earn enough to buy a three bedroom house in the Bay Area.

If they move to Phoenix or Austin, and his salary drops to $100k, and hers to $50k - well, suddenly they can afford a nice house, in a nice area, with decent public schools.

California is paying the price for imposing far too many restrictions on new building, which has sent property prices through the roof.

(With a friend, I bought a plot of land in Los Angeles to build a spec house. We acquired it three years ago. We are still at least a year away from breaking ground.)
    Yes, well you and I both know people who have made the move. HYFUD has got the voices in his head.
    I know quite a few people who've left the Bay Area to move to places like South Carolina and Texas in the last couple of years.
    This is what we progressives need to counter the greater FPTP efficiency of the reactionary vote. Hopefully we'll see similar here in England. Migration in serious numbers from Highgate to Hartlepool, Battersea to Barnsley, Islington to any of the many rough & ready provincial places starting with an "I". Once Johnson has Levelled Up everywhere there's absolutely no reason why this shouldn't happen.
    Islywn ?
    That sounds like Wales so still not quite fitting the bill. Ixworth is the place I naturally think of as where somebody from Islington might like to move once the Magnificent Muscly Man has Got Levelling Up Done - as I think he likes to put it, in case our attention strays after 4 words.
    Ipswich?
    Geographically close to my suggestion of Ixworth.

Course your name starts with an "I" too, doesn't it. Which begs the obvious question - what if everybody had to move from where they are to the nearest place that begins with the same letter as their name?

It'd be Isleworth for you. Quite nice. Down near Twickenham and the river. Better than Romford for sure. So you'd be a winner. Unlike me who'd lose out big time. I'd have to move to Knightsbridge. Ghastly place, all bling no soul, the very opposite of me. Leon to Leytonstone, kind of descending a bit there, and Topping to Tooting, which I imagine he'd be pretty happy with. Lots to do in Tooting.
    I have done plenty of canvassing in Tooting in my time.

And surely Kilburn is closer to you than Knightsbridge.

As you are a newbie to London I understand your confusion.

Edit: I see @Charles got there first. And he, the Kinster, lives in Hampstead so that surely rules out Kenwood.
    Kenwood is in Hampstead!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

Why, you’ll be saying he’s not telling the truth about his occupation as a leading knapper of flint dildos next.
    Or you could read what I actually wrote, and note that I actually did the research
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,468
    Further detail on the issue around the RC Priest not being allowed access to give Last Rites to Sir David Amess. He doesn't explain what happened (so clarification will still be useful) but does state that the policeman outside the location of the crime phoned the policeman inside, who said access was not possible.

Which sounds in line with procedure, even if some of us think the procedure might not be quite right.

On reflection I did kick off the debate with a bit of a lunge; should have had more intro and a new comment sub-thread, though imo it was a useful exchange.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-58946222
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

Or you could read what I actually wrote, and note that I actually did the research
    Face it Leon, you were caught knapping here.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

I think you are absolutely correct about who is moving: the reality is that LA/SF/The Valley are all ridiculously expensive places to live. A software engineer earning $120k/year (which is hardly a pittance) with a wife earning $60k (also not a pittance) will struggle to earn enough to buy a three bedroom house in the Bay Area.

If they move to Phoenix or Austin, and his salary drops to $100k, and hers to $50k - well, suddenly they can afford a nice house, in a nice area, with decent public schools.

California is paying the price for imposing far too many restrictions on new building, which has sent property prices through the roof.

(With a friend, I bought a plot of land in Los Angeles to build a spec house. We acquired it three years ago. We are still at least a year away from breaking ground.)
    Yes, well you and I both know people who have made the move. HYFUD has got the voices in his head.
    I know quite a few people who've left the Bay Area to move to places like South Carolina and Texas in the last couple of years.
    This is what we progressives need to counter the greater FPTP efficiency of the reactionary vote. Hopefully we'll see similar here in England. Migration in serious numbers from Highgate to Hartlepool, Battersea to Barnsley, Islington to any of the many rough & ready provincial places starting with an "I". Once Johnson has Levelled Up everywhere there's absolutely no reason why this shouldn't happen.
    Islywn ?
    That sounds like Wales so still not quite fitting the bill. Ixworth is the place I naturally think of as where somebody from Islington might like to move once the Magnificent Muscly Man has Got Levelling Up Done - as I think he likes to put it, in case our attention strays after 4 words.
    Ipswich?

Course your name starts with an "I" too, doesn't it. Which begs the obvious question - what if everybody had to move from where they are to the nearest place that begins with the same letter as their name?

It'd be Isleworth for you. Quite nice. Down near Twickenham and the river. Better than Romford for sure. So you'd be a winner. Unlike me who'd lose out big time. I'd have to move to Knightsbridge. Ghastly place, all bling no soul, the very opposite of me. Leon to Leytonstone, kind of descending a bit there, and Topping to Tooting, which I imagine he'd be pretty happy with. Lots to do in Tooting.
    I thought you are North London… you get Kilburn or Kenwood…

I’m going to argue for Chelsea
    You can't stay in Chelsea. That's the whole point of this.
    I’m in SJW at the moment… and ignoring the existence of Cricklewood
  • Options

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

You need an e-unicycle with a freewheel.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,841
    Leon said:

Homeless zombies dying of thirst

The first sex after seven months

Have to say I'd heard the Homeless Zombies was more a North London thing - certainly not something I saw in East London though I did enjoy walking the empty streets avoiding people (which I used to before the virus).

I did wonder if your presence at Frieze was motivated as much by your libido as your appreciation of fine art but perhaps I do you a disservice.

It's been a long time since the National Liberal Club, hasn't it?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Have a meat fondue. Cheese fondues are way too heavy.

There is something about sitting en famille around vats of boiling oil that adds a certain frisson to the conversation
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Dover Sole meuniere

OK in an emergency
    Nah, the local pizzeria will always be cheaper and better than Domino's or Pizza Hut unless you live in the proper middle of nowhere, even then I'd rather give an independent my money than a chain.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Leon said:

There used to be a restaurant in Montmatre that just did fondues; meat ones for the main course and then a traditional cheese one. It also served wine in baby bottles for some reason.

I think I enjoyed it, though my main memory of that evening is walking home through the streets of Paris singing Gilbert and Sullivan. We may have had too much to drink.
    Conceive me, if you can,
    An ev'ryday young man:
    A commonplace type,
    With a stick and a pipe,
    And a half-bred black-and-tan;

Who thinks suburban "hops"
    More fun than "Monday Pops,"
    Who's fond of his dinner,
    And doesn't get thinner
    On bottled wine and chops.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,302
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

I go skiing purely for the mountain air and scenery and the apres ski.

I am perfectly happy doing just blues and reds, and then finishing early with gluhwein in a chalet and a long chat with a friend as we watch the world go by.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

The people who run Prevent - which the Somalian assassin was subscribed to - are taught this:

‘This training should revolve around contemporary issues such as the rise of right wing extremism in schools, universities and public spaces, Brexit and hate crime’

That’s right. Just quietly slot Brexit - a democratic vote by 17.4m people - alongside ‘right wing extremism’ and ‘hate crime’"

+++

Because it doesn't. This is the guidance from the GLA given TO stakeholders implementing Prevent

Being a good PB-er, before commenting, I actually went back to the sources. You know. Actual research. Checking my facts. Here it is. You'll find the offending remark in Annexe 3

The whole document is astounding. It's all about combating extremism but for the first 20 of about 30 pages it bangs on and on - exclusively - about "right wing extremism in white London communities". I do not joke. Read it

Only at about page 23 is there the first pained mention of "Islam" as perhaps also being an issue. The whole thing is a Woke Joke
    It accurately reflects the prejudices of those who work in such administrations though.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Taz said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Dover Sole meuniere

Dominos is disgusting.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Conceive me, if you can,
    An ev'ryday young man:
    A commonplace type,
    With a stick and a pipe,

And doesn't get thinner
    Is that from Patience?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Now you’ve made me dream of Col des Mine!
  • Options
    stodge said:

Leon said:

Have to say I'd heard the Homeless Zombies was more a North London thing - certainly not something I saw in East London though I did enjoy walking the empty streets avoiding people (which I used to before the virus).

I did wonder if your presence at Frieze was motivated as much by your libido as your appreciation of fine art but perhaps I do you a disservice.

No, the Homeless Zombies were in the West End

I saw them. The Strand and the Mall and Charing X Road and Northumberland Avenue and others entirely taken over by shuffling homeless people, walking down empty boulevards, dragging sleeping bags, desperate for food and water (because every single cafe, pub and bar was shut)

One distinct memory was Whitehall. It was so quiet, at midday, the only noise was the parakeets. Screeching, raucously. It was otherwise entirely deserted and silent, apart from 2 Japanese tourists taking a photo of the Horseguards (who were still there). After the global apocalypse and the nuclear winter, there will still be two Japanese tourists, with a camera, somewhere

The noise of those parakeets will stay with me for the rest of my days. It was the creepiest sound of the entire plague. In terms of things I personally witnessed

Second is driving out of London, that same day, and seeing a car on fire going the opposite way on an empty M4. Trailing smoke and flames. Just bizarre. Entirely on fire, but not stopping. It all seemed part of the madness
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

Being a suspicious type I checked: Leon was quoting accurately from the document.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Conceive me, if you can,
    An ev'ryday young man:
    A commonplace type,
    With a stick and a pipe,

And doesn't get thinner
    Is that from Patience?
    Yes, with one word changed to fit the experience of @Fysics_Teacher
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Islywn ?
    Ipswich?

Sure you can, just need to learn Russian first.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Dover Sole meuniere

Dominos is disgusting.
    You missed a beautiful opportunity there. You should have said it was a double blank.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

Islywn ?
    Ipswich?

I’m in SJW at the moment… and ignoring the existence of Cricklewood
    All I know of Cricklewood is from this song:

McAlpine's Fusiliers - The Dubliners & Ronnie Drew
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWQKxsF5i5E

If the place was good enough for Ronnie Drew (and Dominic Behan) reckon it's good enough for likes of me - if not you!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Conceive me, if you can,
    An ev'ryday young man:
    A commonplace type,
    With a stick and a pipe,

And doesn't get thinner
    Is that from Patience?
    The only time I was in Patience I had to sing this:

If you want a receipt for that popular mystery,
    Known to the world as a Heavy Dragoon,

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

Take all the remarkable people in history,
    Rattle them off to a popular tune.

The pluck of Lord Nelson on board of the Victory -
    Genius of Bismarck devising a plan -
    The humour of Fielding (which sounds contradictory) -
    Coolness of Paget about to trepan -
    The science of Jullien, the eminent musico -
    Wit of Macaulay, who wrote of Queen Anne -
    The pathos of Paddy, as rendered by Boucicault -
    Style of the Bishop of Sodor and Man -
    The dash of a D'Orsay, divested of quackery -
    Narrative powers of Dickens and Thackeray -
    Victor Emmanuel - peak-haunting Peveril -
    Thomas Aquinas, and Doctor Sacheverell -
    Tupper and Tennyson - Daniel Defoe -
    Anthony Trollope and Mister Guizot!

And so on. Definitely needs footnotes.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Conceive me, if you can,
    An ev'ryday young man:
    A commonplace type,
    With a stick and a pipe,

And doesn't get thinner
    Is that from Patience?

The only G and S I ever did was The Yeomen of the Guard, as one of the Tower Warders.

The irony was I was in my early twenties playing somebody in his sixties, whereas somebody in his sixties…
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Dover Sole meuniere

You’re paying for the rent, the service, the overhead etc. Value of the food is only part of it.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Interesting thread on Twitter comparing the UK situation with Covid-19 with other nations in Europe and possible reasons why other countries seem to be coping better at the moment:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1449801652207239176?t=avO14GK5PxsRCTP9-cw1vQ&s=19
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Dover Sole meuniere

Dominos is disgusting.
    You missed a beautiful opportunity there. You should have said it was a double blank.
    Should have spotted that...
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Dover Sole meuniere

You’re paying for the rent, the service, the overhead etc. Value of the food is only part of it.
    I quite enjoy the mixed double from Dominos.

£20 for two big ones with 4 different pizza halves.

Eat one piece of each and 3/4 in the freezer.

Technically it makes me a teenage mutant ninja turtle, minus the shell suit.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,152
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

I saw them. The Strand and the Mall and Charing X Road and Northumberland Avenue and others entirely taken over by shuffling homeless people, walking down empty boulevards, dragging sleeping bags, desperate for food and water (because every single cafe, pub and bar was shut)

One distinct memory was Whitehall. It was so quiet, at midday, the only noise was the parakeets. Screeching, raucously. It was otherwise entirely deserted and silent, apart from 2 Japanese tourists taking a photo of the Horseguards (who were still there). After the global apocalypse and the nuclear winter, there will still be two Japanese tourists, with a camera, somewhere

The noise of those parakeets will stay with me for the rest of my days. It was the creepiest sound of the entire plague. In terms of things I personally witnessed

Second is driving out of London, that same day, and seeing a car on fire going the opposite way on an empty M4. Trailing smoke and flames. Just bizarre. Entirely on fire, but not stopping. It all seemed part of the madness
    Have you considered writing for a living? I think you’ve got something. There can’t be that much demand for flint dildos, surely?
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Dover Sole meuniere

Which is fine, but I'd rather spend that on something that isn't pizza. Usually a secondo if I'm at an Italian restaurant.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Really? Admittedly most times I cheat and ski round the lip of the bowl rather than going straight down but it’s easy after the first 10 feet. Col des Mine is far more fun
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    MattW said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Dover Sole meuniere

I quite enjoy the mixed double from Dominos.

£20 for two big ones with 4 different pizza halves.

Eat one piece of each and 3/4 in the freezer.

Technically it makes me a teenage mutant ninja turtle, minus the shell suit.
    I am not a Dominoes fan. We sometimes order pizza for the team when on call, and Papa John's is better, though very salty.

Dominoes have been a very profitable and expanding business over the last few years and are planning to take on thousands in the next few months, so obviously someone likes them.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/14/dominos-pizza-to-hire-8000-delivery-drivers-in-uk-and-ireland
  • Options

jayfdee said:

... but

But what?

Isn’t it transmission losses?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Conceive me, if you can,
    An ev'ryday young man:
    A commonplace type,
    With a stick and a pipe,

And doesn't get thinner
    Is that from Patience?

The only G and S I ever did was The Yeomen of the Guard, as one of the Tower Warders.
    I did more than was healthy while at university. I was Sargeant Meryll in Yomen. In fact I played a private, a boatswain's Mate, two sergeants, a colonel, and a baronet: all in different shows of course.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Would appreciate Max’s recipe for the pizza base.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

It accurately reflects the prejudices of those who work in such administrations though.
    One of the most extraordinary remarks in the GLA document is this:

"Muslim and Jewish participants were more concerned about right-wing extremism than Islamist extremism. "

Page 175 in the PDF

Now, it is hardly surprising that Muslims are more concerned about "right wing extremism" as against Muslim extremism

But the idea that Jews are more worried about Tommy Robinson than they are worried by Islamist attacks is so ridiculous it renders the whole paper redundantly stupid if not wilfully, offensively mendacious.

Synagogues and Jewish schools in London do not have guards because of a few skinheads from Ilford. We all know why they are protected

Sadiq Khan's London Authority pumps out this lying Woke bilge. And we all pay for it

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,913
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

"Muslim and Jewish participants were more concerned about right-wing extremism than Islamist extremism. "

Page 175 in the PDF

Now, it is hardly surprising that Muslims are more concerned about "right wing extremism" as against Muslim extremism

But the idea that Jews are more worried about Tommy Robinson than they are worried by Islamist attacks is so ridiculous it renders the whole paper redundantly stupid if not wilfully, offensively mendacious.

Synagogues and Jewish schools in London do not have guards because of a few skinheads from Ilford. We all know why they are protected

Sadiq Khan's London Authority pumps out this lying Woke bilge. And we all pay for it

Incredible

If you CTL+F for Islam, almost all the references are about Islamophobia, or Muslims not liking ISIS being linked with Islam and preferring "Daesh".
  • Options
    Charles said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Really? Admittedly most times I cheat and ski round the lip of the bowl rather than going straight down but it’s easy after the first 10 feet. Col des Mine is far more fun
    I said I skied it, I didn't say I was good! If you think it's easy I guessing you are a pretty useful skier. Scared the willies out of me.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Taz said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Dover Sole meuniere

Dominos is disgusting.
    Should have spotted that...
    Just trying to six things up.
  • Options
    Re: pizza, there's a nice place four blocks from my humble adobe that makes outstanding thin-crust pizza, with a real pizza oven. They have a 10-inch lunch special for $15 (plus tax) including soft drink.

I go there about once a week. Always leave a big tip. And half the time they give me a larger pizza for the same price, which means I've got a couple slices to take home and enjoy later.

BTW, my favorite toppings are Italian sausage and (non-hallucinogenic) mushrooms.

Sociological aside - this pizzeria is operated (and maybe owned?) by an immigrant family, methinks they might be Moldavian.

As they do NOT feature any pizza with pineapple, may I tender to them the coveted PB Seal of Approval?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Been a long time since I've seen any skinheads in Ilford :lol:
  • Options
    BTW, how many PBers have been to a Chuck E Cheese? AND asked to see their wine list!
  • Options
    moonshine said:

500g 00 grade flour
    300g cold tap water
    5g instant dry yeast
    2g sugar
    8g sea salt
    15g extra virgin olive oil

Mix 30g of the water with the yeast, sugar and oil, set to one side.
    Mix 270g of flour with the rest of the water, mix together until smooth.
    Leave to stand for 20 mins.
    Stir in the water/yeast/oil mix into the flour/water dough until it's completely dissolved.
    Put the salt into the remaining flour and mix in well, turn it out onto a wooden surface, make a well in the middle and pour in the dough.
    Mix and then then knead for 10 mins.
    Put it in a large slightly oiled container, put the lid on and stick it in the fridge for 24-48h.
    On the day you're making pizza remove the dough from the fridge, leave to stand until it reaches room temperature (at least 3h).
    2h before you intend to make the pizzas make 4 identically sized dough balls, put them back into your container and keep them covered.

That's good for four 10" pizzas, but you will need a very high temperature oven (at least 300°C) and pizza stone for it to work. This recipe is low hydration and intended for pizzas that cook in 4 mins or less.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,649
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

How vivid. But surely the parakeets have been there for years? Or is that you could suddenly hear them in a London struck silent?
  • Options
    isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

Page 175 in the PDF

Incredible

If you CTL+F for Islam, almost all the references are about Islamophobia, or Muslims not liking ISIS being linked with Islam and preferring "Daesh".
    It is incredible. My thanks to TSE for giving me the chance to direct PB-ers towards it

The whole thing is a laborious, grotesque exercise - supposedly aimed at "battling extremism" - which is actually about exonerating or ignoring Islam and getting everyone to focus on "white right wing British extremism".

Repulsive. Sadiq Khan is a poisonous creature
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,885
    edited October 2021
    MattW said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

You need an e-unicycle with a freewheel.
    Being a masochist and somewhat anti-social, resort skiing does not really appeal. Mountains are for contemplating the infinite scale of things and your place in the universe, not sitting in a lift with a bunch of half-drunk people.

But strapping some skins on to your skis - or maybe applying some kick wax - and setting off into the empty lands? Now you're talking...

You can even do that in this country if you are mad enough, although the hilly stuff is best in spring when you aren't chattering across hard ice.

Norway is the classic destination, although the problem is that if you do meet any of the natives, they will have been born with skis on their feet and thus are faster than you whether they are age 5 or 95.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    kjh said:

Charles said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

I said I skied it, I didn't say I was good! If you think it's easy I guessing you are a pretty useful skier. Scared the willies out of me.
    It’s one of the harder runs in Verbier, I’ll give you that. I’ve no idea how good I am to be honest. I ski with my uncle and cousins - at 70 my uncle outpaces most professionals and is very elegant with it - so I don’t have a good comparable.

But I can do a tidy black run and ski yellow quite well. No good at glade skiing though - I really struggle with that
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

This actually reads like a sort of tragic historical source; evidence of a society desperately searching for distractions from existential threats it cannot deal with; so it retreats in to this sort of comforting denial - more interfaith dialogue will sort all this out, etc

It also looks like evidence of how money going in to try and stop terrorist attacks like the one we had a couple of days ago has been channeled in to things like stopping hate speech; thanks to the expansive definition of 'violent extremism'.

Its bad, and things are going to get worse.

• Options

BTW, how many PBers have been to a Chuck E Cheese? AND asked to see their wine list!

I think being drunk might help considerably there.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,846
    Have you heard the rumour about Miss Barker?

https://twitter.com/Miss_Snuffy/status/1449646411503579137
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    MaxPB said:

moonshine said:

500g 00 grade flour
    300g cold tap water
    5g instant dry yeast
    2g sugar
    8g sea salt

Stir in the water/yeast/oil mix into the flour/water dough until it's completely dissolved.
    Put the salt into the remaining flour and mix in well, turn it out onto a wooden surface, make a well in the middle and pour in the dough.
    Put it in a large slightly oiled container, put the lid on and stick it in the fridge for 24-48h.
    On the day you're making pizza remove the dough from the fridge, leave to stand until it reaches room temperature (at least 3h).
    2h before you intend to make the pizzas make 4 identically sized dough balls, put them back into your container and keep them covered.

That's good for four 10" pizzas, but you will need a very high temperature oven (at least 300°C) and pizza stone for it to work. This recipe is low hydration and intended for pizzas that cook in 4 mins or less.
    Thanks for that.

Is 300C a very hot oven?

My normal range cooker oven is marked up to 320C.

Are there alternatives to pizza stone? What about a square of cast iron?

Does this recipe freeze?

I wonder if my excellent bread machine has a pizza dough recipe.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    edited October 2021
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

How vivid. But surely the parakeets have been there for years? Or is that you could suddenly hear them in a London struck silent?
    There was an article which said birds sang quieter in New York during lockdown. It was a serious study, not merely someone's assertion ISTR.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Yes, it wasn't the presence, it was the silence.

They were ALL I could hear, for several minutes. No joke
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Parakeets can I think be shot at will, providing there is a good reason.

But don't try it in Whitehall...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Yes, it wasn't the presence, it was the silence.

They were ALL I could hear, for several minutes. No joke
    Disconcerting (no pun intended).
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,913
    Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

Page 175 in the PDF

Incredible

It is incredible. My thanks to TSE for giving me the chance to direct PB-ers towards it

The whole thing is a laborious, grotesque exercise - supposedly aimed at "battling extremism" - which is actually about exonerating or ignoring Islam and getting everyone to focus on "white right wing British extremism".

Who could have guessed?

https://fullfact.org/online/sadiq-khan-nation-of-islam/

https://fullfact.org/online/sadiq-khan-zacarias-moussaoui/
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

There was an article which said birds sang quieter in New York during lockdown. It was a serious study, not merely someone's assertion ISTR.
    Wouldn't surprise me. Less need to waste energy with less background noise.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MaxPB said:

moonshine said:

500g 00 grade flour
    300g cold tap water
    5g instant dry yeast
    2g sugar
    8g sea salt

Thanks for that.

Is 300C a very hot oven?

My normal range cooker oven is marked up to 320C.

Are there alternatives to pizza stone? What about a square of cast iron?

Does this recipe freeze?
    The range will top out at about 280 in my experience but it's just about hot enough because it's gas.

I wouldn't recommend cast iron, the cooking surface is more sticky even when hot. I can't guarantee good results anyway. Really you'd want a cordierite stone of at least 12", you can find them on Amazon or at larger kitchen equipment websites.

It does freeze! Very well in fact. Again, just make sure you have the dough in a very good airtight container, defrost 24h before in the fridge and then follow the steps for cooking day onwards.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

Page 175 in the PDF

Incredible

Who could have guessed?

I am no fan of Khan but there's not much in this. Lawyers can't be tainted by their clients.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Wouldn't surprise me. Less need to waste energy with less background noise.
    This isn't the article I recalled, but must be about the same study.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54285627
  • Options
    darkage said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

Page 175 in the PDF

Incredible

Who could have guessed?

I am no fan of Khan but there's not much in this. Lawyers can't be tainted by their clients.
    For me, Khan is condemned by his performance in office, more than his past. He is bigoted and useless
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    MaxPB said:

moonshine said:

500g 00 grade flour
    300g cold tap water
    5g instant dry yeast
    2g sugar
    8g sea salt

Ta will give it a try
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,125
    isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

Page 175 in the PDF

Incredible

Who could have guessed?

I’m no fan of his but he makes it clear he does not agree with the Nation of Islam and states ‘even the worst people deserve a legal defence’.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,125
    Leon said:

darkage said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

Page 175 in the PDF

Incredible

Who could have guessed?

For me, Khan is condemned by his performance in office, more than his past. He is bigoted and useless
    Yet he is highly popular and loved by many of his electors.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

This actually reads like a sort of tragic historical source; evidence of a society desperately searching for distractions from existential threats it cannot deal with; so it retreats in to this sort of comforting denial - more interfaith dialogue will sort all this out, etc

It also looks like evidence of how money going in to try and stop terrorist attacks like the one we had a couple of days ago has been channeled in to things like stopping hate speech; thanks to the expansive definition of 'violent extremism'.

Its bad, and things are going to get worse.
    The government figures show the opposite, that referrals to Prevent for suspected Islamist radicalisation have been going down for years:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/individuals-referred-to-and-supported-through-the-prevent-programme-april-2019-to-march-2020/individuals-referred-to-and-supported-through-the-prevent-programme-april-2019-to-march-2020

Indeed there is a slight excess of Right wing referrals over Islamism for intervention.

• Options
    Leon said:

darkage said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

Page 175 in the PDF

Incredible

Who could have guessed?

He's planning on doing just the Victoria and Central lines for night tube this year. North and South London left waiting, women in North and South London clearly less valued by the mayor than those in East and West. The Central line would be the lowest priority, surely the Northern Line which runs through Camden and Leicester Square makes a lot more sense and it serves South London too which is underserved by public transport in general.

This is a decision taken by someone who doesn't understand London and doesn't understand nightlife in London.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

Page 175 in the PDF

Incredible

Who could have guessed?

He's planning on doing just the Victoria and Central lines for night tube this year. North and South London left waiting, women in North and South London clearly less valued by the mayor than those in East and West. The Central line would be the lowest priority, surely the Northern Line which runs through Camden and Leicester Square makes a lot more sense and it serves South London too which is underserved by public transport in general.

This is a decision taken by someone who doesn't understand London and doesn't understand nightlife in London.
    Victoria line serves Stockwell and Brixton.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,639

Have you heard the rumour about Miss Barker?

https://twitter.com/Miss_Snuffy/status/1449646411503579137

Nice!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

Page 175 in the PDF

Incredible

Who could have guessed?

He is teetotal. Of course he doesn't understand London, let alone its nightlife. He wants us all to go home and pray. He'd probably prefer to shut down London altogether
  • Options
    edited October 2021

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

Page 175 in the PDF

Incredible

Who could have guessed?

The Northern line serves Clapham, Balham and Tooting, areas which are very popular with young people (Balham and Clapham with younger women especially in my experience) who live in shared flats/houses. It goes through Stockwell too.

And once again, if the task is to ferry people from nightlife spots to where they live, maybe actually having the bloody tube line that goes to both of London's biggest nightlife spots would be a good idea. The Central line makes no sense at all, the bits in central London are mostly in the square mile.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

Page 175 in the PDF

Incredible

Who could have guessed?

He is teetotal. Of course he doesn't understand London, let alone its nightlife. He wants us all to go home and pray. He'd probably prefer to shut down London altogether
    The Central line is the really odd one. It's a commuter line. It doesn't go to Camden, it doesn't go south of the river and it goes to really faraway suburbs that are middle aged people rather than young people who would go out late on Fridays and Saturdays. The Northern Line, for as long as I've been going out, has been what everyone uses after 1am. They want to get back to Clapham and Balham mostly. Everyone who lives North has a lot more options.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,280
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

Page 175 in the PDF

Incredible

Who could have guessed?

The Northern line serves Clapham, Balham and Tooting, areas which are very popular with young people (Balham and Clapham with younger women especially in my experience) who live in shared flats/houses. It goes through Stockwell too.

And once again, if the task is to ferry people from nightlife spots to where they live, maybe actually having the bloody tube line that goes to both of London's biggest nightlife spots would be a good idea. The Central line makes no sense at all, the bits in central London are mostly in the square mile.
    Not quite true you get a lot of variety from Mile End and beyond to the West and a lot of clubbing at both ends and in the middle.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

Page 175 in the PDF

Incredible

Who could have guessed?

Central line serves BOTH Westfield shopping centres (Shepherd's Bush and Stratford), Oxford Street and Liverpool Street.
  • Options
    I'm trying Gorillas deliveries

I've ordered a bottle of red, simply to test. Can they really do this in 15 minutes??
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

darkage said:

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*Shocked*

"Incredible

+++

Page 175 in the PDF

Incredible

Who could have guessed?

The Central line is the really odd one. It's a commuter line. It doesn't go to Camden, it doesn't go south of the river and it goes to really faraway suburbs that are middle aged people rather than young people who would go out late on Fridays and Saturdays. The Northern Line, for as long as I've been going out, has been what everyone uses after 1am. They want to get back to Clapham and Balham mostly. Everyone who lives North has a lot more options.
    It was 30 years ago that I lived in Tooting, but there used to be a night bus every hour after the tube stopped running. I used to catch it in Trafalgar Square. Has that stopped?
This discussion has been closed.