Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

All polls now have CON leads: LAB’s brief moment in the Sun is over – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Labour is heading for an internal bloodletting on the question of whether or not an MP should be disciplined for stating the biological truth that only women have cervixes. That the party of Hardie, Lansbury, Attlee, Bevin, Gaitskell, Castle and Benn should have come to this.

https://twitter.com/PaulEmbery/status/1439591885748805638?s=20
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

NYT:

LONDON — As relations between France and the United States sink to their lowest depths in decades, Britain has emerged as the unlikely winner in a maritime security alliance that has sowed anger and recrimination across three continents.

The British government played an early role in brokering the three-way alliance with the United States and Australia to deploy nuclear-powered submarines in the Pacific, according to officials in London and Washington. The landmark agreement was announced hours after Australia canceled a $66 billion deal for diesel-electric submarines with France, provoking fury in Paris and quiet satisfaction in London.

For Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who will meet this coming week with President Biden at the White House and speak at the United Nations, it is his first tangible victory in a campaign to make post-Brexit Britain a player on the global stage.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/18/world/europe/britain-us-france-submarines-brexit.html

That’s quite the praise from the NYT, given the vast majority of their British output in recent times.
    I wonder what the French are going to say when Biden tells the EU to stop being twats over NI....
    They are not quite the butt lickers the UK are so he may be told to GTF
    I think the French will now simply bide their time and wait for Trump to be re-elected. He will almost certainly cancel AUUKUS simply to spite Boris and Morrison, whom he will regard as Biden lickspittles. A further possibility is that the humiliated Macron loses to Le Pen who then forms and alliance with Trump. That would truly be a nightmare situation for Boris and Britain.
    Have I read that properly

You are so bitter you want Trump back in US

Really

That is astonishing and I am very surprised that you could even think it
    No, you haven't read it properly because at no point do I state that I want Trump back. Nevertheless, I doubt the French now see much advantage in having Biden instead of Trump, which is tragic in itself.
    You suggest it and I am so very surprised
  • Options
    DavidL said:

29,612 cases, 56 deaths.

Reduction in cases levelling off. England cases up week on week today.

Is ~25-30k cases a day the background level we will have have to expect for the foreseeable future?

I think so, certainly for the next 2-3 months with an average in excess of 100 a day of deaths within 28 days. It's a long way from where we were at the trough.
    This'll be confusing for Malc - you're admitting having been at the trough, but you're not a Westminster politician.. disnae compute
  • Options

Labour is heading for an internal bloodletting on the question of whether or not an MP should be disciplined for stating the biological truth that only women have cervixes. That the party of Hardie, Lansbury, Attlee, Bevin, Gaitskell, Castle and Benn should have come to this.

https://twitter.com/PaulEmbery/status/1439591885748805638?s=20

And listening to Davey this morning on Marr so are the lib dems
  • Options
    Good speech by Ed Davey. Attack the Blue Wall. Foreign Aid cut morally wrong. Lets empower parents by giving part of the covid education recovery fund to them to spend on education as they see fit.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,272
    edited September 2021

Good speech by Ed Davey. Attack the Blue Wall. Foreign Aid cut morally wrong. Lets empower parents by giving part of the covid education recovery fund to them to spend on education as they see fit.

And on trans right and banning an activists for 10 years for wearing a t shirt

Was he silent
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212

DavidL said:

29,612 cases, 56 deaths.

Is ~25-30k cases a day the background level we will have have to expect for the foreseeable future?

I think so, certainly for the next 2-3 months with an average in excess of 100 a day of deaths within 28 days. It's a long way from where we were at the trough.
    This'll be confusing for Malc - you're admitting having been at the trough, but you're not a Westminster politician.. disnae compute
    It's ok, I am a Tory. Malc can always come to terms with Tories being at the trough, no matter where they live.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

The Brexit thing is overdone by “commentators” on here. There’s no direct Brexit angle.

The key question is why is the US willing to humiliate France, a key ally, “live via satellite”?

By all means, Australia, cancel what looks to have been an awful deal, but it’s the *way* this has played out which is such a kick up the arse to France.

France, and hence the EU, will take the message that the US cannot be relied on.

I think the key takeaway here is the opposite. The US has lost patience with the EU being hamstrung by Germany's foreign policy objectives. France is being asked the question of whether or not they are serious about containing China in APAC. Once the noise goes away I wouldn't be surprised if tentative moves to get the French into some associate membership position aren't made.

The point if this partnership is to jettison those slow moving countries like Germany who hold back a much tougher western response to Chinese aggression. The internal EU squabbling is something we know frustrated us when we were in it trying to target Russia with sanctions or trying to get an EU-wide policy on Huawei. To an outsider like the US the process must seem interminable and with their major military power now not in the EU, they have no reason to care about it.
    Why is it in France’s interests to “contain” China?

If this is the USA forcing France to pick sides, it’s a very humiliating way to go about it.
    It is in everyone's interest to contain China
    Why? Is China a material threat to France?
    In fact, China and Europe need each other.
    And that is the problem

The issue is that for many they do not comprehend the concerns in the Trans Pacific about China and their need to deter Chinese aggression that could destabilise the whole vast area.

There is also a need to compete with China commercially and an expanded CPTPP including the UK and possibly the US would go a long way to providing such a market place.

I know you are a Kiwi and of course NZ has embraced China and banned Australian nuclear subs from her waters

Like Europe, NZ will have a choice to make herself in the years ahead

This has been asked before, but I still haven't seen a clear answer... what is the nature of this Chinese aggression?
    We can agree that China is a threat to Taiwan, but is there anything beyond that?
    I have this vague idea that America is a bigger threat to third countries than China, based on recent history. Can someone explain why I'm wrong about that?

And please note, I am not in any way saying China is better. Yes the internal repression in China is criminal and deeply wrong. I'm asking about external aggression.
    The threat is not just Taiwan but the South China Sea which is a vital sea route and coincidental one which I partly sailed across from South Korea to China

I think a lot of the misunderstanding in all of this is that little attention is given in this country to anywhere beyond Europe, when in fact it is a small region when compared to the one that this threat is perceived as very real
    Please see my response to Carlotta on the same matter. I'm afraid my question remains.
    How about this one - it's the right thing to do.
    To take a stance against countries that undertake incursions into other countries' territories? You could be right, but my question is why single out China is that respect? The USA does the same (possibly to a far greater extent), but the idea of forming an alliance against America would be risible. What makes the difference?
    America is (still) a democratic nation. China is a fascistic one.
    Yes, the former has serious problems and flaws, as do we, but they are not the same and it's not arrogance to reject even unintended attempts at equivalence.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

The Brexit thing is overdone by “commentators” on here. There’s no direct Brexit angle.

The key question is why is the US willing to humiliate France, a key ally, “live via satellite”?

By all means, Australia, cancel what looks to have been an awful deal, but it’s the *way* this has played out which is such a kick up the arse to France.

France, and hence the EU, will take the message that the US cannot be relied on.

I think the key takeaway here is the opposite. The US has lost patience with the EU being hamstrung by Germany's foreign policy objectives. France is being asked the question of whether or not they are serious about containing China in APAC. Once the noise goes away I wouldn't be surprised if tentative moves to get the French into some associate membership position aren't made.

The point if this partnership is to jettison those slow moving countries like Germany who hold back a much tougher western response to Chinese aggression. The internal EU squabbling is something we know frustrated us when we were in it trying to target Russia with sanctions or trying to get an EU-wide policy on Huawei. To an outsider like the US the process must seem interminable and with their major military power now not in the EU, they have no reason to care about it.

If this is the USA forcing France to pick sides, it’s a very humiliating way to go about it.
    And that is the problem

The issue is that for many they do not comprehend the concerns in the Trans Pacific about China and their need to deter Chinese aggression that could destabilise the whole vast area.

There is also a need to compete with China commercially and an expanded CPTPP including the UK and possibly the US would go a long way to providing such a market place.

I know you are a Kiwi and of course NZ has embraced China and banned Australian nuclear subs from her waters

This has been asked before, but I still haven't seen a clear answer... what is the nature of this Chinese aggression?
    We can agree that China is a threat to Taiwan, but is there anything beyond that?
    I have this vague idea that America is a bigger threat to third countries than China, based on recent history. Can someone explain why I'm wrong about that?

And please note, I am not in any way saying China is better. Yes the internal repression in China is criminal and deeply wrong. I'm asking about external aggression.
    The threat is not just Taiwan but the South China Sea which is a vital sea route and coincidental one which I partly sailed across from South Korea to China

I think a lot of the misunderstanding in all of this is that little attention is given in this country to anywhere beyond Europe, when in fact it is a small region when compared to the one that this threat is perceived as very real
    Please see my response to Carlotta on the same matter. I'm afraid my question remains.
    How about this one - it's the right thing to do.
    To take a stance against countries that undertake incursions into other countries' territories? You could be right, but my question is why single out China is that respect? The USA does the same (possibly to a far greater extent), but the idea of forming an alliance against America would be risible. What makes the difference?
    America is (still) a democratic nation. China is a fascistic one.
    Yes, the former has serious problems and flaws, as do we, but they are not the same and it's not arrogance to reject even unintended attempts at equivalence.
    The best thing that could happen to China is for it to become a two-party state, and therefore a real democracy.
    The best thing that could happen to the US is for it to become a three-party state, and therefore a better democracy.
    The best thing that could happen to the UK is... more political betting opportunities. ;)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

And that is the problem

South China Seas - they've set off an arms race:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/Indo-Pacific/Indonesia-looks-to-triple-submarine-fleet-after-Chinese-incursions
    I've restored my full post to your quote because the other bits are directly relevant.
    Chinese incursions in the South China Seas, ok, yes. It's pretty normal for large powers to do this. Russia is well known in recent years for putting planes and subs in other countries' territory. America undertakes military operations in foreign territory without permission a lot.

So your example is a fine one, but doesn't really go any distance to answering my question.
    From my perspective, China is a threat on three key grounds:

1. It’s ideology is (or should be) anathema to liberal democracies.

2. It claims ownership of the South China Sea (in opposition to the claims of its neighbours) which is a critical route for global trade, and is increasingly arming up to support incursions etc.

3. It attempts to silence and/or buy-off various actors around the world in support of (1) and (2).

Since the rise of Xi - who is effectively now leader for life - it has ramped up the aggressive rhetoric and behaviour and seems increasingly willing to disturb the global order instead of maintaining it.

It has also corrupted international organisations like the WHO, WTO and now World Bank from the latest news. It is a malign influence and it has been waging a cold war against the democratic world.
    What’s the World Bank thing?
    Same old thing, bribery, they bribed people in the World Bank to boost China's statistics, or at least not downgrade them. I'll see if I can dig up the article at some point, but it's also pizza day in casa MaxPB and I'm head pizzaiolo.
    No pineapple, one hopes.
    No pineapple, no sweetcorn, no chicken, no BBQ sauce. 😄
    Swetcorn on pizza is a far greater crime than pineapple IMHO. pineapple has a tangy, juicy quality that works quite nicely with the cheese - not something the purists will agree with but it can be quite tasty, especially if paired with something spicy. Sweetcorn on the other hand brings nothing to the table, no flavour, carb-heavy and a cloying sweetness. When I worked in a (not at all authentic) pizza restaurant the chicken and sweetcorn pizza was always popular with a certain kind of bland, forgettable, customer, too. Ham and pineapple attracted a more varied crowd.
    Sweetcorn is the king of vegetables, I add it to my pizza at every opportunity.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

On trans rights, my girlfriend is a northern, non-university educated red waller and she has absolutely zero fears about trans rights eroding feminism or safe spaces for women or whatever. There is definitely a generational divide on this, which is probably down to the younger generation growing up in a culture of much more equality than there was before.

Assume she has no plans to go to prison or take part in elite sport, then. Please don't try to generation gap this, I really want brought up in a culture of inequality and intolerance.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2021
    Ft;

https://www.google.com/search?q=https://www.ft.com/content/684e4ef1-87a9-4bdf-96f4-956df4e0a1e2

“The cost of buying enough wholesale gas and electricity in the spot market to supply an average household is estimated at about £1,600 a year, while the Ofgem-set price cap on energy bills is at present £1,277”

It’s wrong for the taxpayer to end up on the hook for this, but that’s clearly what the energy companies are pushing for.

The govt should just raise the cap. Oh. And delay the universal credit cut until the end of spring.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

29,612 cases, 56 deaths.

Covid anecdote.

One girl in my daughter's Y8 form got Covid a week ago. Now over 10 in the class have it, none severe any many with no symptoms. My daughter is negative. Even more convinced now that she had it in February 2020 when she was ill on and off for a month and I spent the whole month coughing. Going to be a very quiet classroom for her this week!
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

NYT:

LONDON — As relations between France and the United States sink to their lowest depths in decades, Britain has emerged as the unlikely winner in a maritime security alliance that has sowed anger and recrimination across three continents.

The British government played an early role in brokering the three-way alliance with the United States and Australia to deploy nuclear-powered submarines in the Pacific, according to officials in London and Washington. The landmark agreement was announced hours after Australia canceled a $66 billion deal for diesel-electric submarines with France, provoking fury in Paris and quiet satisfaction in London.

For Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who will meet this coming week with President Biden at the White House and speak at the United Nations, it is his first tangible victory in a campaign to make post-Brexit Britain a player on the global stage.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/18/world/europe/britain-us-france-submarines-brexit.html

That’s quite the praise from the NYT, given the vast majority of their British output in recent times.
    I wonder what the French are going to say when Biden tells the EU to stop being twats over NI....
    I think the French will now simply bide their time and wait for Trump to be re-elected. He will almost certainly cancel AUUKUS simply to spite Boris and Morrison, whom he will regard as Biden lickspittles. A further possibility is that the humiliated Macron loses to Le Pen who then forms and alliance with Trump. That would truly be a nightmare situation for Boris and Britain.

Really

No, you haven't read it properly because at no point do I state that I want Trump back. Nevertheless, I doubt the French now see much advantage in having Biden instead of Trump, which is tragic in itself.
    Deliberate misinterpretation from you. Not your most dignified moment.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Pioneers,

Did he suggest parents should receive some of the covid education recovery fund to them to spend on education as they see fit? Private education or tutors?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,856

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

NYT:

Really

He never suggested it , he said it was a possibility which it most certainly is.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

NYT:

Really

Agree, shocking misrepresentation. The tories really are a cult now.
  • Options
    ping said:

Ft;

https://www.google.com/search?q=https://www.ft.com/content/684e4ef1-87a9-4bdf-96f4-956df4e0a1e2

“The cost of buying enough wholesale gas and electricity in the spot market to supply an average household is estimated at about £1,600 a year, while the Ofgem-set price cap on energy bills is at present £1,277”

It’s wrong for the taxpayer to end up on the hook for this, but that’s clearly what the energy companies are pushing for.

The govt should just raise the cap. Oh. And delay the universal credit cut until the end of spring.

Anyway, the general advice to everyone at the moment is: don’t agree a new fixed tariff for your energy supplies. Just go on the capped tariff. You’re being subsidised.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

NYT:

Really

What you need to understand is that Big G is one of the most committed trolls on here.

Once you realise that he hardly takes any of his own posts seriously, it makes more sense.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

29,612 cases, 56 deaths.

It's ok, I am a Tory. Malc can always come to terms with Tories being at the trough, no matter where they live.
    Bizarre conversation , I know Tories will always be head deep in the trough if not immersed totally. Not sure how that conflates with covid deaths though.
  • Options
    There's a new thread but I can't post on it.
  • Options

Same. I'll post my comment here instead:

It's tedious that everything comes back to Brexit. We need to find better ways to talk about politics that don't always involve that fucking referendum, or we are going to get nowhere.

That means you, Scott_xp, that means you Casino_Royale, that means you, Big_G_Northwales, that means you Mike_Smithson.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Rentool,

Nor can I. It was only a comment on subject "Natalie Bird, was banned from standing as an MP for wearing a T-shirt featuring the words "woman adult human female".

For ten years. At worst, you could call it provocative, but it does feel anti-liberal and anti-democratic. Oh, the hypocrisy. Will I be banned from voting for them for ten years?"

I suspect it was merely a gremlin.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

It's tedious that everything comes back to Brexit. We need to find better ways to talk about politics that don't always involve that fucking referendum, or we are going to get nowhere.

That means you, Scott_xp, that means you Casino_Royale, that means you, Big_G_Northwales, that means you Mike_Smithson.
    Unfortunately the Tories cannot get over it, their stock answer for every debacle.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

The point is it does and from those who want to rejoin

I am very content to move past Brexit which after this week has disappeared further over the horizon
  • Options
    I'm definitely voting LD now

@DominicBuxton
    The @LibDems smashing the blue wall (Fisted hand)(Large orange diamond)
    https://twitter.com/DominicBuxton/status/1439594734176149507
  • Options

Farooq said:

I am very content to move past Brexit which after this week has disappeared further over the horizon
    "They started it".

Like fucking clockwork. You're totally borked, aren't you?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Yet you are stuck on it constantly.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

29,612 cases, 56 deaths.

Bizarre conversation , I know Tories will always be head deep in the trough if not immersed totally. Not sure how that conflates with covid deaths though.
    David said "when we were at the trough"

Your past performance led me to believe you might get triggered ;)
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    IshmaelZ said:

On trans rights, my girlfriend is a northern, non-university educated red waller and she has absolutely zero fears about trans rights eroding feminism or safe spaces for women or whatever. There is definitely a generational divide on this, which is probably down to the younger generation growing up in a culture of much more equality than there was before.

Assume she has no plans to go to prison or take part in elite sport, then. Please don't try to generation gap this, I really want brought up in a culture of inequality and intolerance.
    I didn't give my opinion or anything, I merely expressed an observation. Deny it all you want.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

"They started it".

Like fucking clockwork. You're totally borked, aren't you?
    You seem to be getting quite personal

I express my views and if you do not like them then that is not my problem
  • Options

@DominicBuxton

They get dodgier and more irrelevant by the day. Davey is the Donkey of Donkey's, he makes Starmer look dynamic. The dullard could not beat a carpet, he is like some reject from Scottish Labour.
  • Options
    New thread
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,191
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Totally unacceptable that this should happen to Labour MP for Canterbury Rosie Duffield.

"Speaker steps in over online threats to female Labour MP Rosie Duffield
    Fear forces Rosie Duffield to miss conference"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/speaker-steps-in-over-online-threats-to-female-labour-mp-jnhbrcgv5

Sadly it is behind a firewall so I can't see who these morons are. Can anyone enlighten me. Not that it really matters I suppose. It shouldn't happen no matter who is doing it.
    Trans activists and anti-semites, it says. Is she even Jewish?

Lefty politics are a sewer, right now
    She isn't Jewish, AFAIU. Anti-semites don't like the fact that she attended a demo protesting against anti-semitism within Labour under Corbyn.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

@DominicBuxton

They get dodgier and more irrelevant by the day. Davey is the Donkey of Donkey's, he makes Starmer look dynamic. The dullard could not beat a carpet, he is like some reject from Scottish Labour.
    It is mugs like you who helped me to my best ever betting win at Chesham and Amersham
  • Options

malcolmg said:

@DominicBuxton

It is mugs like you who helped me to my best ever betting win at Chesham and Amersham
    You do well betting Mike, but I doubt you could bring yourself to say that Davey is anything other than a loser , the man is a total no hoper. He is taking the Illiberal Non-Democrat's nowhere and especially in Scotland where the clowns could not even spell democracy.
  • Options

New thread

Unpostable on
  • Options
    New thread doesn’t show up on vanilla backend, either.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956

IshmaelZ said:

I didn't give my opinion or anything, I merely expressed an observation. Deny it all you want.
    true but the observation shows that she hasn't given thought to the edge cases.

And it's those edge cases in the Trans debate where the completely unsolvable issues are - and which means that everyone is going to have to end up taking sides.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

What am I denying?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Mrs Farooq is northern, graduate originally from a red wall seat but now Scotland, and she says "TERFs can fuck off".
    She's tried a few times to talk to me about it, and I don't want to know.

In fact, I picked up a little writing work some months ago and when I showed her the draft she mentioned there was a trans angle involved and I should address it. I said I didn't want to, but she said by leaving it out I would be tacitly supporting one side. There was some to and fro and in the end I decided just to bin the whole thing. Not worth the grief either way.

There are too many furious idiots on both side, and I'm sure I would come down on one side or the other if I tried but the whole debate is a pigsty.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551

Nice to know the last 11 years of Tory government have led to more equality than previously.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

What’s wrong with the score?

If you mean the cricket vid tweet I posted, it's 38/0 off 25 balls. One batsman has 12 off 8, the other has 0 off 4
    Wides, no balls and leg byes? The standard looks terrible.
    The balls played still ought to add up. I'd guess they weren't actually using the computer score system, and just happened to have the video recording
    Are no balls counted as being faced by the batsmen? I thought they were struck from the record as it were
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    MaxPB said:

I see the Remoaners, having worked out that denying Britain had any part to play in Aukus is a fruitless line of attack, have now decided to try and push the meme that it's meaningless and empty instead.

It's all they have left. Reality has been a chastening experience for them over these last few years. The City is still just the same, our old alliances have been strengthened, the EU is being sidelined globally and the UK is under no pressure to agree to any alignment deals as was suggested by remainers.

Expect their derangement to ramp up over the next couple of years as the EU becomes less and less relevant to the world.
    Caught up with my French contacts.

They are viewing it as a commercial deal lost - understand that they were way out priced - but are really pissed because they thought it was a done deal on really favourable terms.

Hence the tantrum. But no obe to blame except themselves
  • Options
    Charles said:

If you mean the cricket vid tweet I posted, it's 38/0 off 25 balls. One batsman has 12 off 8, the other has 0 off 4
    The balls played still ought to add up. I'd guess they weren't actually using the computer score system, and just happened to have the video recording
    Are no balls counted as being faced by the batsmen? I thought they were struck from the record as it were
    They do (though I'm not sure what happens when a batsman scores off a no ball, I think that counts as a ball faced for the batsman but not for the over), but those balls get bowled again. So you can't have the balls faced by the batsmen add up to fewer than the total legal balls bowled
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

Charles said:

They do (though I'm not sure what happens when a batsman scores off a no ball, I think that counts as a ball faced for the batsman but not for the over), but those balls get bowled again. So you can't have the balls faced by the batsmen add up to fewer than the total legal balls bowled
    The likely answer is a batsman retired hurt. He faced balls, scored runs but wasn’t out.
This discussion has been closed.