Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could Raab be in trouble at Esher and Walton? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,283
    Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Someone did the maths

In one day, Faroe Islanders managed to kill (for no reason) 2% of all the white sided dolphins on earth.

Good work, lads. Just another 49 days and they will all be gone

So the question becomes, should a community be allowed to make a species extinct because it has a right to maintain its traditional culture? A good example of humans putting themselves above everything else on the planet.
    Yes, absolutely correct. And no, 50,000 barbarian wankers on a shitty archipelago do not have the ‘right’ to wipe out an entire species. Humanity as a whole does not have that ‘right’.

Ugh. Sickening.

The IWC must simply ban all Faroese whaling. End of. If they can’t control their blood-lust, then fuck their stupid ‘tradition’
    Arrogant white western nations must continue to impose their worldview on lesser nations.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Stocky said:

I see Hills have brought Truss in to 10s from 14s earlier for next leader. 12s top price now.

The Tory Trollop moves further up the greasy pole!
    She writes novels?
    Probably just a publisher's publicity stunt. They were universally slammed.
  • Options

What a complete helmet* Marko is.

Injury to Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton is for show, claims Red Bull adviser Helmut Marko

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/injury-to-mercedes-lewis-hamilton-is-for-show-claims-red-bull-adviser-helmut-marko-zrhxp88l9

*Did you see what I did there?

Honestly Red Bull is team full of utter Mark Recklesses.

If he really said that, there should be repercussions inside the sport. The loudmouth's gone a little too far this time.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Roger said:

Liz Truss's appointment has to up there with Caligula's horse

Then we should all be grateful. Noble Senator Incitatus gave several celebrated speeches on relations with the Parthian Empire.

Nadhim Zahawi MP @NadhimZahawi has been appointed Secretary of State for Education @educationgovuk
    https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1438171652723023879?s=20

i) He'll do a good job and
    ii) the Anti-vaxxers will go absolutely nuts (aren't they already? - ed.)

On the one hand he's alleged to be the kind of emollient character suited to smoothing feathers ruffled by Williamson - and he might even be competent!

On the other hand, he's not a Revolutionary Marxist. The NEU will hate him.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,888
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

Someone did the maths

In one day, Faroe Islanders managed to kill (for no reason) 2% of all the white sided dolphins on earth.

So the question becomes, should a community be allowed to make a species extinct because it has a right to maintain its traditional culture? A good example of humans putting themselves above everything else on the planet.
    The slaughter is - presumably - annual. That sort of 2 percentage points harvesting rate (the technical term IIRC from my ecology lessons) does not sound a lot. It is quite possibly sustainable especially if there is some other limiting factor actually controlling population. But that could be a problem for a slow-breeding mammal such as a dolphin which (on a very quick check) takes a decade or so to mature and breeds only every other year or even less often. One is talking about it taking a female something like two decades to produce 3 calves - effectively just enough to replace her and the equivalent male with something left over for pre-breeding mortality. Now imagine an annual hunt of that level. 20 years x 2% is 40% of the population - so she has now to produce an extra half calf in that time, which is quite a chunk (so to speak). So it doesn't look good on a smell test, but one would need to dive into the population stats and population matrices to be sure.

This wouldn't be an issue if they were only killing a few for consumption.

A related issue: was this a natural stranding (in which case they would die anyway, but should have been killed more humanely)? Or a deliberate drive?

There are analogous ethical issues with pheasants etc - shooting of wild birds by 1 or 2 people versus mass breeding and driving toward the guns.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,382
    AlistairM said:

Jenrick is the exception but spot a pattern on who has been sacked?

So it’s a ConHome reshuffle?
  • Options

Injury to Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton is for show, claims Red Bull adviser Helmut Marko

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/injury-to-mercedes-lewis-hamilton-is-for-show-claims-red-bull-adviser-helmut-marko-zrhxp88l9

If he really said that, there should be repercussions inside the sport. The loudmouth's gone a little too far this time.
    Helmut Marko, an adviser to Red Bull, has dismissed Hamilton’s complaints as theatrics. “It was a normal racing accident,” he told Österreich, the Austrian newspaper. “All the stories around it were pulled up by the hair by Mercedes. Verstappen had already got out when Hamilton tried to go back to get out of the gravel. The medical car saw that and drove on. And then a show is put on that poor Hamilton is suddenly injured.”
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,687

justin124 said:

Stocky said:

I see Hills have brought Truss in to 10s from 14s earlier for next leader. 12s top price now.

She writes novels?
    Yep:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nadine-Dorries/e/B00I4ZK0L2?ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1&qid=1631722555&sr=1-1
    Not that far from SeanT in style:

I wonder if she carries a knife?

Und der Haifisch, der hat Zähne,
    Und die trägt er im Gesicht...
  • Options
    Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is beating the Republicans at their own Trumpian game
    The Democrat congresswoman’s appearance at the Met Gala marked her ascent to the kind of political celebrity that cannot be ignored

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/09/15/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-beating-republicans-trumpian-game/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955
    I didn't know Dorries was an author - she has quite a few released, is she any good?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

AlistairM said:

Ars you suggesting Williamson should have remained in office?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

Max’s radio comment ‘That’s what you get when you don’t leave the space’ should be worrying the hell out of the F1 and FIA bigwigs, as well as his own team.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,382
    HYUFD said:

No major surprises from the reshuffle, Truss moves to Foreign Secretary as expected after a good stint getting trade deals and Raab replaces Buckland at Justice. Jenrick after being seen as a bit too supportive of developers is replaced by Gove, a safe pair of hands. Dowden, a media friendly figure, replaces Milling as Party co-chair with Dorries replacing him at culture.

Williamson finally leaves the Cabinet after falling popularity amongst party members and teachers alike, replaced by safe pair of hands Zahawi as Education Secretary.

Also notable that all those leaving the Cabinet backed Remain in the EU referendum, so the Cabinet further shifts towards Leavers

Lol @ “a bit too supportive of developers” !!!

Dowden always comes across as a plonker on the media. But I guess he’s a friendly plonker.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Carnyx said:

Confirmed:

Nadine Dorries MP @NadineDorries has been appointed Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport @DCMS

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1438169372237959171?s=20

Interesting - a Brexiter in charge of the laws to replace GDPR, also.
    I doubt Dorries could even spell GDPR
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

AlistairM said:

Not if you're Buckland.
  • Options
    This new @TheLancetInfDis review on #SARSCoV2 transmission makes the strong case for mucosal immunity, which could be achieved via nasal or oral vaccines, that are unfortunately not getting priority for development https://thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(21)00472-2/fulltext

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1438174690615300104?s=20
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited September 2021
    The BBC has mentioned a few times now that Liz Truss is the first female Foreign Secretary, which will be news to Margaret Beckett who held the role under Tony Blair.

https://twitter.com/GrantTucker/status/1438156831436705794?s=19
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,611
    Any word on who goes to Trade?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,433
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Someone did the maths

Yes, absolutely correct. And no, 50,000 barbarian wankers on a shitty archipelago do not have the ‘right’ to wipe out an entire species. Humanity as a whole does not have that ‘right’.

Ugh. Sickening.

The IWC must simply ban all Faroese whaling. End of. If they can’t control their blood-lust, then fuck their stupid ‘tradition’
    You are hours away from gluing yourself naked to the Faroese consulate, aren't you?
    Possibly. I’m surprised at my own anger. It is genuine (if slightly hysterical, as is my wont)

I’ve always had a streak of Green in me. Voted for them a couple of times. But their relentless Woke leftism puts me off giving them real support

But I’ve travelled the world (yes, I know, flying = hypocrite) and I’ve seen how beautiful it is, and how we are swiftly fucking it up

We can’t solve every problem immediately, or maybe ever, but this is one particular ecological outrage (and it is egregiously evil) which could be solved pretty swiftly (and must be, or these fuckers will kill all the dolphins). The Faroese are rich but they rely entirely on fish exports, and tourism.

These are easy pressure points to use. Make the Faroese suffer. And save the whales and dolphins
  • Options
    As less and less people are wearing masks, the decrease in cases has increased.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Max’s radio comment ‘That’s what you get when you don’t leave the space’ should be worrying the hell out of the F1 and FIA bigwigs, as well as his own team.
    That's just the kind of crap they talk about as drivers though isn't it? There was that great meme trailer with clips of them talking shit at each other and swearing, but the account that did it seems to be gone now.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Charles V: "I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse"

@vonderleyen today: I use English for economics and health, French for social policy and German to warn the Poles to respect the rule of law and our values. #StateOfTheUnion

https://twitter.com/lugaricano/status/1438049889787781122?s=20

Did she really say that?

Ooof, if so.
    WTF? That must be a spoof, right?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Confirmed:

Nadine Dorries MP @NadineDorries has been appointed Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport @DCMS

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1438169372237959171?s=20

Interesting - a Brexiter in charge of the laws to replace GDPR, also.
    I doubt Dorries could even spell GDPR
    I had to check it when posting!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,858

England COVID: 22,078, down from 29,286 week ago:

https://twitter.com/UKCovid19Stats/status/1438157168465879042?s=20

Let's hope the decline in numbers continues every day.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

AlistairM said:

A week after Labour gets a polling lead, Boris reshuffles the least popular ministers out the door.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Ooof, that was a busy old day. So many meetings and lessons I didn’t even have time for lunch.

I take it that nothing exciting has happened in the big bad world of politics?

(By which I mean, Nick Gibb being fired from Mr Dancer’s cannon.)
  • Options

Also no mask wearing in English schools and cases still declining. Compared to Scottish schools where masks were required, cases went up.
  • Options

Helmut Marko, an adviser to Red Bull, has dismissed Hamilton’s complaints as theatrics. “It was a normal racing accident,” he told Österreich, the Austrian newspaper. “All the stories around it were pulled up by the hair by Mercedes. Verstappen had already got out when Hamilton tried to go back to get out of the gravel. The medical car saw that and drove on. And then a show is put on that poor Hamilton is suddenly injured.”
    Thanks. That actually makes it sound worse.

I've known people who have walked away from car crashes, evidently none the worse. Only for the whiplash to show up the next morning.

(Not Miss Whiplash, which would be a very different cause of possibly similar symptoms.)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited September 2021

The BBC has mentioned a few times now that Liz Truss is the first female Foreign Secretary, which will be news to Margaret Beckett who held the role under Tony Blair.

It's such a typical and revealing establishment take.

They every see every single news story through the prism of identity politics.

Why the hell should it matter? Let's comment on the experience, capability and agendas of the people appointed - not "celebrate" what tackle they do or don't have between their legs, or what their skin colour is.
    I predict an hour after reshuffle has finished and we will be getting percentage of men vs women, BAME, public vs state school articles on BBC and Guardian. Then all the op-ed pieces by tomorrow about why not more .....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Also no mask wearing in English schools and cases still declining. Compared to Scottish schools where masks were required, cases went up.
    Correlation does not imply causation.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Also as cases also went down in Scottish schools when masks were worn, admittedly obviously at different times form the above.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,500
    edited September 2021
    RobD said:

Correlation *does* imply causation. It does not prove it. If it did not imply it, we'd not need the constant reminders they are not the same thing.
  • Options

Under that tweetis one referring to Starmer's essay (which I'd heard about but didn't know if it was out or not). It sounds like a silly idea but I kind of like it - sure, virtually no one will read it, and he'll need to win in the regular ways (luck, tv clips, policy cock ups by government etc) but I like the idea of a political leader taking some time to write even just an essay exploring political ideas, which seems mostly the domain of discontent wonks now.

If you cannot put it into bullet points I doubt it gets a look in during erstwhile MP training.
  • Options

And no-one was wearing a mask in 2018 when covid was non existant. Note that it started in China where people do wear masks.

Or perhaps, as things become safer, fewer people decide to wear masks is the more likely causation here. Just perhaps.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Why the hell should it matter? Let's comment on the experience, capability and agendas of the people appointed - not "celebrate" what tackle they do or don't have between their legs, or what their skin colour is.
    Or maybe we shouldn't
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_wkO4hk07o
  • Options
    Steve Barclay replaces Michael Gove
  • Options
    Can @RochdalePioneers please not post things like ‘Mad Nad for education?’ I genuinely did feel ill when I read that until I realised it was a joke.
  • Options

RobD said:

Correlation *does* imply causation. It does not prove it. If it did not imply it, we'd not need the constant reminders they are not the same thing.
    Ah, pedant mode.

Still, I'd rather see a study showing that masks increased cases, rather than basing it on anecdote. There's about a thousand other confounding factors which have been brushed under the carpet.
  • Options

Thanks. That actually makes it sound worse.

I've known people who have walked away from car crashes, evidently none the worse. Only for the whiplash to show up the next morning.

(Not Miss Whiplash, which would be a very different cause of possibly similar symptoms.)
    I’ve done a load of kart racing, and it’s always in the morning you feel it. I’m sure it’s more immediate if you’ve actually crashed and broken something (thankfully I didn’t!), but if you’re just battered and bruised it takes a few hours and some resting before the full effect is felt!
  • Options

I think there is still something in celebrating a milestone, but you can take that too far and if you then get too specific or its not really a new bar being reached then it is not really worth talking about.

A first female Foreign Secretary, if it had been the case, would be worth noting, but as we've had two female PMs and other female holders of Great Offices (still waiting on Chancellor) it wouldn't have been that big a deal.

I vaguely recall an example of it going wrong with the lead from Star Trek Discovery, since there had already been a black female member of a main cast in Star Trek, and a black captain and a female captain, so being the first black female lead character was a thing, but not that big a thing.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Red and white flags are protective against covid, whereas lorne sausage and tunnocks teacakes are aggravating factors.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Can Labour capitalise on this cut to UC? This is the sort of thing they should be scoring hits on a government over and yet I don't think they are being effective at all over it.
  • Options

I predict an hour after reshuffle has finished and we will be getting percentage of men vs women, BAME, public vs state school articles on BBC and Guardian. Then all the op-ed pieces by tomorrow about why not more .....
    Will the Grauniad want to write up the story of the most BAME government ever being a TORY government?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Can @RochdalePioneers please not post things like ‘Mad Nad for education?’ I genuinely did feel ill when I read that until I realised it was a joke.

Nadhim Zahawi is a good appointment
  • Options

The cabinet is now stronger than it was this morning, that is undeniable, although it would have been tricky to make it worse. Dorries replacing Dowden at culture seems the only clear downgrade, no idea if Raab will be worse than Buckland at justice.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

In fairness I did think it interesting when articles revealed we had the gayest parliament in the world, felt like news worth knowing.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Red and white flags are protective against covid, whereas lorne sausage and tunnocks teacakes are aggravating factors.
    I've found the difference! 'British' square sausage (made in Cheshire, IIRC) is no longer a thing ...

https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/squig-square-british-pork-sausages-408912011
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I didn't know Dorries was an author - she has quite a few released, is she any good?

Is "Nadine Dorries" an incarnation of @SeanT we weren't aware of?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I think there is still something in celebrating a milestone, but you can take that too far and if you then get too specific or its not really a new bar being reached then it is not really worth talking about.

A first female Foreign Secretary, if it had been the case, would be worth noting, but as we've had two female PMs and other female holders of Great Offices (still waiting on Chancellor) it wouldn't have been that big a deal.

I vaguely recall an example of it going wrong with the lead from Star Trek Discovery, since there had already been a black female member of a main cast in Star Trek, and a black captain and a female captain, so being the first black female lead character was a thing, but not that big a thing.
    Same with Doctor Who, where the water was extensively tested with a female master and whatever River Song turned out to be, and when we did get a lady doctor, she was surrounded by men just in case.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Same with Doctor Who, where the water was extensively tested with a female master and whatever River Song turned out to be, and when we did get a lady doctor, she was surrounded by men just in case.
    People blame Jodie for Doctor Who being shite but it's been going downhill since 2010. It was hiring useless Chibnall that has killed it completely
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Nadhim Zahawi is a good appointment
    Quite possibly he is. But as I have said before, Williamson wasn’t the problem and firing him won’t on its own be a solution. Unless Gibb and Spielman are also removed along with the entirety of the senior structure of the DfE - everybody of undersecretary rank and above - then it’s deckchairs on the Titanic.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Stocky said:

She writes novels?
    Certainly a wellknown adultress!
    God does not hate you for being gay, and it was unkind of the other boys to point at your penis in the showers and laugh. Now just stop it.

You do understand that that bloke in the bible who says Thank God I am not as other men are is not presented as a positive role model, do you?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Apologies - had intended it to be "Mad Nad for Education?". Hadn't realised there was no ? until it was too late for me to edit it.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Can Labour capitalise on this cut to UC? This is the sort of thing they should be scoring hits on a government over and yet I don't think they are being effective at all over it.

I do not support the loss of the temporary £20 UC uplift but the country is divided 38/39 on support/ oppose

• Options

MattW said:

Charles V: "I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse"

@vonderleyen today: I use English for economics and health, French for social policy and German to warn the Poles to respect the rule of law and our values. #StateOfTheUnion

https://twitter.com/lugaricano/status/1438049889787781122?s=20

Did she really say that?

Ooof, if so.
    WTF? That must be a spoof, right?
    There was quite a good spoof in the Politico.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/draft-state-of-the-union-eu-ursula-von-der-leyen/ )

The real one:
    We will present a new European Chips Act.
    https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/ov/SPEECH_21_4701
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1438171652723023879

This is a good appointment, he's competent at least, even if I disagree with pretty much every thing he thinks.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Apologies - had intended it to be "Mad Nad for Education?". Hadn't realised there was no ? until it was too late for me to edit it.
    You are forgiven.

Now to clean up the pool of sick…
  • Options
    Long before the crisis in Afghanistan, figures within No 10 were feeling the effects of what several describe as the “dysfunctional culture” that Raab presided over in the Foreign Office, in which officials felt unable to approach Raab. When events in Afghanistan began to unfold, Downing Street figures complained that this wasn’t the first time that this culture had caused serious disruption to the government’s response to a crisis. One Whitehall source notes acerbically that officials are too scared to approach Raab during the “gym time” marked out in his calendar, let alone on holiday.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/westminster/2021/09/the-irresistible-rise-of-liz-truss
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    Even Tim Montgomerie thinks Liz Truss built up her non deal with Australia for a bunch of headlines. After Brexit and Afghanistan do we really need a self publicising fantacist?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Ah, pedant mode.

Still, I'd rather see a study showing that masks increased cases, rather than basing it on anecdote. There's about a thousand other confounding factors which have been brushed under the carpet.
    It's pendant.

Val Pollycella says so.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    HYUFD said:

No major surprises from the reshuffle, Truss moves to Foreign Secretary as expected after a good stint getting trade deals and Raab replaces Buckland at Justice. Jenrick after being seen as a bit too supportive of developers is replaced by Gove, a safe pair of hands. Dowden, a media friendly figure, replaces Milling as Party co-chair with Dorries replacing him at culture.

Williamson finally leaves the Cabinet after falling popularity amongst party members and teachers alike, replaced by safe pair of hands Zahawi as Education Secretary.

Also notable that all those leaving the Cabinet backed Remain in the EU referendum, so the Cabinet further shifts towards Leavers

I think Dorries at Culture has to be treated as a surprise....
  • Options

kle4 said:

People blame Jodie for Doctor Who being shite but it's been going downhill since 2010. It was hiring useless Chibnall that has killed it completely
    Chibnall's fault mainly. My only complaint about Jodie was that she gabbled her lines which made it difficult for my foreign Whovian moles, who'd had no problems with her in other roles.
  • Options
    MattW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Ah, pedant mode.

It's pendant.

Val Pollycella says so.
    If I were you I’d just leave it hanging.
  • Options
    Anne Marie Trevelyan to Trade
  • Options
    I love that its a tweet 'has emerged', like someone went digging in an ancient archive rather than just looked back over her twitter feed.
  • Options

jonny83 said:

I do not support the loss of the temporary £20 UC uplift but the country is divided 38/39 on support/ oppose

Not an easy one, but was clearly part of the pandemic emergency funding, and they’ll need to find £6bn per year in taxes or borrowing to keep it running.

Ditto the furlough scheme, there’s several hundred thousand about to go from 80% of their salary to the dole. It still has to be done though.
  • Options
    Important tube news: the two new stations at Battersea Power Station and Nine Elms open on Monday 20th September.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Even Tim Montgomerie thinks Liz Truss built up her non deal with Australia for a bunch of headlines. After Brexit and Afghanistan do we really need a self publicising fantacist?

Roger said:

Better get used to it

She may be the next PM
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Important tube news: the two new stations at Battersea Power Station and Nine Elms open on Monday 20th September.

Hopefully the Clapham Junction Tube station will open in the next twenty years too
  • Options

This is a good appointment, he's competent at least, even if I disagree with pretty much every thing he thinks.

I remember the reaction on here when he was appointed vaccine minister. ;)
  • Options
    The Rt Hon Anne-Marie Trevelyan @annietrev has been appointed Secretary of State for International Trade @tradegovuk, and President of the Board of Trade.

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1438181183804817411?s=20
  • Options
    Liz Truss's chances of being next PM must have significantly increased today. It'll be interesting to see if the betting odds have changed.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    MrEd said:

HYUFD said:

I think Dorries at Culture has to be treated as a surprise....
    A reliable generator of dead cats/live squirrels (as needed) to reenergise the culture wars?

Can't see the Elgin marbles going home for a while.
  • Options
    RobD said:

He seems to have done a good job on the vaccines, credit where it is due. I have often said the vaccines have been the only thing the Government has done well.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

You are forgiven.

OK so DCMS is less critical than DfE. But this is still a David Mellor level of mis-hire. Unless the intention is to have her spend her entire time creating woke battle after woke-battle as a massive distraction for disillusioned Tory voters to try and keep them away from other parties.
  • Options

RobD said:

He seems to have done a good job on the vaccines, credit where it is due. I have often said the vaccines have been the only thing the Government has done well.
    It's not been mentioned much, but the genetic tracing of the virus has been world-beating as well.

And yes, I mean that it was world-beating. And run from Cambridge. ;)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Is the firsr train on time? Not just the hour and minute part, but the first three digits of the year? They're separate from Crossrail IIRC.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

You are forgiven.

OK so DCMS is less critical than DfE. But this is still a David Mellor level of mis-hire. Unless the intention is to have her spend her entire time creating woke battle after woke-battle as a massive distraction for disillusioned Tory voters to try and keep them away from other parties.
    That’s unfair. David Mellor is quite culturally aware.
  • Options

RobD said:

TBH the thing the government did "well" was i) decide not to do the EU scheme then ii) hand it over to the vaccine task force and NHS to deliver. "Getting out of the way" is an undervalued government talent, especially when "something must be done".
  • Options

RobD said:

I think he was using 'imply' in the strictly logical sense, which is correct: if you have a correlation, then no causation is implied - or proven if you like - by that correlation. However, if you have causation, then correlation will be an implication of that causation.
  • Options
    The Rt Hon Kwasi Kwarteng MP @KwasiKwarteng remains Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy @beisgovuk

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1438182855134285824?s=20
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,611

Anne Marie Trevelyan to Trade

Mega leaver if memory serves me correctly.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Ah, pedant mode.

It's pendant.

Val Pollycella says so.
    If I were you I’d just leave it hanging.
    You chad .. er .. cad.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    Afternoon all :)

I see @Casino_Royale is having a cent at Jacinda Ardern who had the temerity to rout a hapless centre-right Opposition at a general election last year.

It seems, despite the current Level 4 lockdown in Auckland (eased to Level 2 elsewhere) the Prime Minister and the Labour Party remain in a strong position:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300407943/covid19-nz-new-poll-has-national-at-21-per-cent-act-not-far-behind-at-15-per-cent

If you want a definition of an ineffective Opposition leader, don't look at Starmer who is a political colossus compared to the useless Judith Collins who oversaw the National rout last year and has remained leader despite what the centre-right tell us is the wealth of talent on the National benches - Christopher Luxon anyone?

The extraordinary aspect of the polls is the gender difference - women have Labour an astonishing 42 points ahead while men have National seven points ahead.

There used to be the notion of generational politics but what of gender? The Redfield/Wilton poll which shows the Conservatives four points ahead has the Conservatives eight points ahead among men and tied with Labour among women - not as stark as NZ but still interesting.

In France, Macron has much stronger support than men while Marine Le Pen gets more support from women.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,356
    edited September 2021
    Sandpit said:

jonny83 said:

Not an easy one, but was clearly part of the pandemic emergency funding, and they’ll need to find £6bn per year in taxes or borrowing to keep it running.

Ditto the furlough scheme, there’s several hundred thousand about to go from 80% of their salary to the dole. It still has to be done though.
    In the last few days I have come to the conclusion that Boris is determined that wages have to rise hence why he is not permitting work visas

He seems to be developing a narrative that the conservative party are a high wage controlled immigration party, while labour will hold down wages through their support for unrestricted immigration

There is evidence wages are rising quite quickly and of course the electorate will see this in their pay packets, and it raises more tax and reduces the need for benefits

This is the brexit divided if it comes about
  • Options

RobD said:

TBH the thing the government did "well" was i) decide not to do the EU scheme then ii) hand it over to the vaccine task force and NHS to deliver. "Getting out of the way" is an undervalued government talent, especially when "something must be done".
    They deserve credit for that - and I am happy to say so once again.

Still be accused of being a wokie leftie stuck in my bubble, oh well
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    kle4 said:

I love that its a tweet 'has emerged', like someone went digging in an ancient archive rather than just looked back over her twitter feed.
    It’s not racist to say a black man looks like another black man, but Chuka Umunna doesn’t look anything like Chris Eubank.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    IshmaelZ said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Stocky said:

She writes novels?
    Certainly a wellknown adultress!
    God does not hate you for being gay, and it was unkind of the other boys to point at your penis in the showers and laugh. Now just stop it.

You do understand that that bloke in the bible who says Thank God I am not as other men are is not presented as a positive role model, do you?
    That is defammatory in that it is totally false.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

The cabinet is now stronger than it was this morning, that is undeniable, although it would have been tricky to make it worse. Dorries replacing Dowden at culture seems the only clear downgrade, no idea if Raab will be worse than Buckland at justice.
    Going from a 10lb bag of shit to a 9.5lb bag of shit is not much of an improvement.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Liz Truss's chances of being next PM must have significantly increased today. It'll be interesting to see if the betting odds have changed.

BF has dropped from 9 to 7.8 in last hour or so. Next leader that is.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,283

kle4 said:

There were the cringe inducing promos prior to her first season with a glass ceiling breaking. Subtle.

The Whitaker years have been poor, really poor. The show has not really recovered from the loss of Tennant and RTD. There have been some highlights along the way but the decline under Whitaker has been marked. Very few highlights and what a load of old shite the Timeless child arc was.

Chibnalls comments to Pip and Jane Baker have certainly come back to haunt him.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Given ND's past spats there will be a whole archive somewhere.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    RobD said:

He is still a turnip
  • Options

Sandpit said:

jonny83 said:

In the last few days I have come to the conclusion that Boris is determined that wages have to rise hence why he is not permitting work visas

He seems to be developing a narrative that the conservative party are a high wage controlled immigration party, while will hold down wages through their support for unrestricted immigration

There is evidence wages are rising quite quickly and of course the electorate will see this in their pay packets, and of course it raises more tax and reduces the need for benefits

This is the brexit divided if it comes about
    But it also raises prices, remember. Which cuts in different ways.
  • Options
    No word from Labour on whether Angela Rayner will become shadow deputy prime minister
    https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1438183321280950275?s=20
This discussion has been closed.