Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Axing the triple lock could be another #dementia tax debacle – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• isamisam Posts: 40,731
    edited August 2021
    Andy_JS said:

14% is an encouraging figure for the LDs in today's Kantar opinion poll.

I’m calling that an out… standing score for them!
  • @Cookie have you seen Skins
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184

@Cookie have you seen Skins

No, I haven't - should I?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

DougSeal said:

English cases down again (very slightly!) week on week. 29,417 vs 29,762.

UK up but only marginally by 2,000 from last Thursday.

Wonder how Mr isam and his girl-friend are getting on.
    Have they come down with it?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    Leon said:

My god. My god. The videos of the scenes outside the airport. I’m not even going to link. I just saw them on Twitter

Be warned

My view of Trump and Biden right now?

As Steve Gomez put it “Burn in hell, you piece of scum!”
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    edited August 2021
    GIN1138 said:

Will the Dems pull the plug on Biden in the next few days?

No.

But what it will have done is reinforced, in the minds of many in Democratic leadership positions, that Biden is not the right man to lead the Party into the next election.

To force him out requires that the VP and the Cabinet are willing to basically go to him and say "resign on health grounds, or we'll be invoking the 25th". That's a pretty major step - albeit one that is made rather easier by the fact that Biden does not, and has never had, a big constituency of devoted fans inside the party.

There's also the question of timings. Let us assume that the Dems want Biden to go. Unless Harris is planning on completely reversing the Afghanistan strategy (and while she's been far from supportive of the President, that's probably a bridge too far) then it would make more sense to stick the knife in once the US has left Afghanistan.

After all, you want all the shit to stick to the old bloke who's no longer there.

But, of course, once the US is no longer there, then neither are the headlines.

Plus, you will have a number of potential Presidential challengers (like Buttigieg), for whom the perfect situation is one where he's running against the VP, not against a sitting President. So, does he really want Biden to be forced out? (And he is a Cabinet secretary)
    edited August 2021
    Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

She has symptoms but has tested negative twice on the LFT. I have symptoms of panic and worry
  • IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

What does this do to Biden?

At least 30 reported dead now, and…

‘Very preliminary report—But reliable sources familiar with the situation on the ground in Afghanistan are telling my team that four US Marines were killed in bombing outside of the Kabul Airport. Again, this is preliminary, but horrific if confirmed. Pray.’

https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1430911739952984078?s=21

In the eyes of the American public, these deaths will either confirm Biden was right to GTFO asap rather than risk more American lives for no discernible gain, or condemn him for unnecessary deaths. Could go either way. Or both. Dunno really.
    This is absolutely brutal but necessary reading on the terrible catastrophe of Afghanistan. Hundreds of thousands stranded. An American clusterfuck of monumental proportions. And this was written BEFORE the explosions

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/biden-abandons-our-allies-what-its-really-like-on-the-ground-in-kabul/

Shameful. And horrible
    That is required reading.
    Yes, the National Review, such a consistent viewpoint on US troops in Afghanistan.
    Here's the NR in November last year saying troops should be out - by Christmas.
    https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/11/out-of-syria-and-afghanistan-not-to-mention-somalia/
    We should appreciate this Joe Root form. Must be for India what is was like for us when Steve Smith was impossible to dismiss a few years ago
    Chameleon said:

US military deaths may change the equation a bit. It becomes even harder to sweep the Kabul surrender under the rug for Biden.

Biden is a spineless coward, unfit to sit on a local council, let alone be President.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,267

CatMan said:

Chameleon said:

US military deaths may change the equation a bit. It becomes even harder to sweep the Kabul surrender under the rug for Biden.

It is ofcourse Trump's surrender originally, but he may benefit. Terrible scenes today.
    If Trump was still President, he'd be denying anything bad had actually happened, and his supporters would have believed him.
    Probably be calling the marines a bunch of losers.

Whatever and however bad this gets it would have been worse under that clown.
    How? How would it have been worse?

This is a comforting lie for uneasy Bidenites

Biden and Trump BOTH fucked this up to fuckistan, and back again
    Leon said:

CatMan said:

Chameleon said:

It is ofcourse Trump's surrender originally, but he may benefit. Terrible scenes today.
    If Trump was still President, he'd be denying anything bad had actually happened, and his supporters would have believed him.

Biden and Trump are equally filth.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    isam said:

We should appreciate this Joe Root form. Must be for India what is was like for us when Steve Smith was impossible to dismiss a few years ago

Indeed, although rather nicer to watch. Looks like there won't be a declaration tonight. I'd expect us to flash the bat a bit in the morning with a licence to get out trying. Something like a 350 lead. I'd be very worried if I had tickets for Saturday!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    isam said:

Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

She has symptoms but has tested negative twice on the LFT. I have symptoms of panic and worry
    Hopefully just coronochondria then!

Nonetheless, worth a proper PCR swab.
  • isam said:

Steve Smith will always be a cheat.

He doesn't deserve to be spoken in the same breath as Root, Kohli, and Williamson.
  • Cookie said:

@Cookie have you seen Skins

No, I haven't - should I?
    There's a character in it called James "Cookie" Cook that's all
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    300 the lead. I wonder if they declare when Root goes?
  • Sandpit said:

I suspect England will bat until we are all out.

Remember in 2017 and 2019 the pitch got better to bat as the match progressed, which is why the Windies and England won matches by scoring 300 plus in the fourth innings.
  • Anyhoo Champions League draw time.

There's going to be plenty of groups of death because they way things have already panned out.
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    If the Taliban were clever and could see past their anti west hatred and need to get 'foreigners' out of the country they should go to the US and allies and give us more time to get out.

They surely want no part of these bombings and dealing with ISIS and AQ, so if you remove the western element you remove a large part of that threat.

Give us more time to get people out.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722
    Sandpit said:

No way should they declare, not with 3 days left and no rain forecast.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    News agencies are reporting at least 40 dead and 120 wounded in Kabul.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    jonny83 said:

If the Taliban were clever and could see past their anti west hatred and need to get 'foreigners' out of the country they should go to the US and allies and give us more time to get out.

They surely want no part of these bombings and dealing with ISIS and AQ, so if you remove the western element you remove a large part of that threat.

Give us more time to get people out.

More time for them to have another go?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    Sandpit said:

Why bother? It's day two. Keep the foot on the throat. Try to bat as long into tomorrow as possible.
  • Andy_JS said:

Maybe Root could get 200 or 300.

You cursed him.

Anyhoo Champions League draw time.

There's going to be plenty of groups of death because they way things have already panned out.

There are 26 automatic qualifiers. They could have made the draw in June.

Oh crap, that changes things somewhat.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

‘Very preliminary report—But reliable sources familiar with the situation on the ground in Afghanistan are telling my team that four US Marines were killed in bombing outside of the Kabul Airport. Again, this is preliminary, but horrific if confirmed. Pray.’

In the eyes of the American public, these deaths will either confirm Biden was right to GTFO asap rather than risk more American lives for no discernible gain, or condemn him for unnecessary deaths. Could go either way. Or both. Dunno really.
    This is absolutely brutal but necessary reading on the terrible catastrophe of Afghanistan. Hundreds of thousands stranded. An American clusterfuck of monumental proportions. And this was written BEFORE the explosions

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/biden-abandons-our-allies-what-its-really-like-on-the-ground-in-kabul/

Shameful. And horrible
    Yes, the National Review, such a consistent viewpoint on US troops in Afghanistan.
    https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/11/out-of-syria-and-afghanistan-not-to-mention-somalia/
    So? The Geraghty piece is pure reportage, which is why it deserves reading. Dougherty is about USA internalities. What is your point?
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

CatMan said:

Chameleon said:

I wouldn't quite go that far. Trump is worse, it is arguable he is so selfish, vain and deranged he is actively evil.

Biden isn't evil. He means "well". He has modestly good intentions. But he is far too old, doddery, incompetent, arrogant, querulous, and dogmatic. Reports say he was advised by many NOT to evacuate Afghanistan this way, he just shrugged them off, he thought his way was right. And here we are

The worst foreign policy disaster for the USA - ever? Possibly worse than Vietnam
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722

Andy_JS said:

Maybe Root could get 200 or 300.

You cursed him.
    AAARRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited August 2021
    Damn, that was a good ball. The declaration point could be moot in half an hour.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    When i predicted england all out for 78 i meant the second innings.
  • Conv w CEO last night "There is no 'return to work.' We've hired more than half our team in the last 18 months. They are all over the country, and we don't have office space. I don't know what the future model will be, but it certainly will look nothing like it did in 2019..."

https://twitter.com/jrichlive/status/1430927247192444929?s=20
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Shameful. And horrible
    Yes, the contortions of logic and memory in places are quite something.

Conv w CEO last night "There is no 'return to work.' We've hired more than half our team in the last 18 months. They are all over the country, and we don't have office space. I don't know what the future model will be, but it certainly will look nothing like it did in 2019..."

https://twitter.com/jrichlive/status/1430927247192444929?s=20

Invest in that Holiday Inn conference centre just off the motorway.
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Shameful. And horrible
    So? The Geraghty piece is pure reportage, which is why it deserves reading. Dougherty is about USA internalities. What is your point?
    I have come to detest this form of argumentation. "Oh but look, that comes from a magazine/news agency/TV channel that was saying something else, or something silly, six months back, so we can ignore this entirely different story"

I used to do it myself. Now I try not to. It's generally wrong. It also leads to misinformed bubblethink

Draw your news from many places. Judge each article on its own merits. Heck, even the Daily Express gets it right once a year. And if it's right, it is valuable information

That NR article is blistering, and to me seems entirely persuasive. Horrible things are happening beyond Kabul

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Doing my online shop, Tesco seem to have absolutely nothing but yet Sainsbury's have no problems? Can anyone explain why?

Throughout the pandemic and pingdemic, I have had virtually no issues with Sainsbury's.
    Tesco has had its ups and downs, but Tesco Stretford seems to have everything at the moment and been fine for a couple of months. But when I did our holiday online shop a couple of weeks back Tesco Wadebridge was out of loads of things. A minor mystery how it can vary so much by region (Wadebridge probably has much greater problems with seasonality).
    I believe it only takes a small percentage increase in unexpected demand (or I presume by the other side, reduction in capacity) to completely screw the JIT model.

When it seemed like everybody was hoarding bog rolls, I am sure the supermarkets were saying it was only taking 10% increase to cause it.
    Do you live in Devon, Francis, or am I confusing you with someone else? If so, that (i.e. heavy season of tourists in tourist hotspot) perhaps explains your travails.
    There’s probably a couple of million more people in the UK at the moment, than one might expect from a ‘regular’ August.

Most people, even those on holiday, will be getting around by car - as opposed to foreign tourists who are much less likely to go near a supermarket.
    It's an excellent point: more Brits at home over the summer, means more demand for supermarket products. And as purchasing will be based on analyses of normal seasonal patterns of demand, you could very well imagine a situation where they have bought for 60 million people using supermarkets, and the actual number 61 or 62 million.
    Sandpit said:

Oh crap, that changes things somewhat.
    One look at those videos tells you that many died. It looks like noon on the First Day of the Somme

Horrendous
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Shameful. And horrible
    Case in point, Joe Biden:

"The Taliban will not take over Afghanistan" - oops

"There will be no helicopters on the roof of the US Embassy" - errrr

"There is no one being killed at the airport" - ouch

"Come on man, those guys fell off the plane four days ago. Five!" - Ohhhkayyyyyyy
    edited August 2021
    LFC get Atletico. City PSG. Chelsea Juve. United Villareal.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited August 2021
    dixiedean said:

LFC get Atletico.

Another reunion with Luis Suarez.

Trying to remember the last time Liverpool faced Suarez in the Champions League.

Oh wait, I was there, I think we won 4 nil.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

Hopefully just coronochondria then!

Nonetheless, worth a proper PCR swab.
    Absolutely. My main concern was that they both needed to keep calm. She’s 32 weeks pregnant. Advised making sure the midwife knew.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884

TimT said:

DavidL said:

England lead up to 200 with 8 wickets still in hand. Seriously impressive scoring rate now too. Maybe looking for a 350 run lead by the end of the day?

Burns the lowest scorer at 61. Such a loser!
    350 lead 45-60 minutes before the end of play.
    And declare.
    isam said:

Reminds me of Vaughn’s Annus Mirabilis in 2002. Mind you Root is a far better player.
    There was an excellent discussion on the last thread about protectionism between @isam and @Stuartinromford, and I thought it worth noting that there are a very similar arguments going on with high tech US staff in Silicon Valley.

Basically, Facebook, Apple, Google, etc., want to continue to build up their development hubs in the Silicon Valley area, but their enormous hiring sprees have sent rents in SF and the Bay Area through the roof. A public school teacher simply can't afford to live within 50 miles of Cupertino.

There is therefore enormous resistance from a lot of long-term residents to their actions, because their growth has negative externalities.

But Apple, etc., have shot back with Without our tax revenues, you would have serious problems keeping the lights on. And if we start moving development to Austin, or Bangalore, then that whole expertise will start moving outside California or even the US as a whole.

And that's the difficult choice people have.
  • NEW THREAD

• turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    CatMan said:

Sandpit said:

No way should they declare, not with 3 days left and no rain forecast.
    Exactly. You don’t get the wickets back...
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

CatMan said:

Chameleon said:

I wouldn't quite go that far. Trump is worse, it is arguable he is so selfish, vain and deranged he is actively evil.

Biden isn't evil. He means "well". He has modestly good intentions. But he is far too old, doddery, incompetent, arrogant, querulous, and dogmatic. Reports say he was advised by many NOT to evacuate Afghanistan this way, he just shrugged them off, he thought his way was right. And here we are

The worst foreign policy disaster for the USA - ever? Possibly worse than Vietnam
    We can't make that judgement yet. It depends on how things pan out. There's 2 elements to it - the decision to pull out and the way it was done. For it to end up a contender for the worst ever foreign policy disaster for the US, probably both of those have to become clear as being dead wrong. The right decision but rushed and bungled is unlikely to make the grade.

Or do you mean the whole US Afghan 'invade and occupy' project from the start? Is this what is looking like their worst ever foreign policy disaster? In which case that's at the door of every president from Bush onwards and mainly Bush himself.

As for Biden, he's been arguing for 'out' for ages, been quite big on this, so I'm not sure it's about age and mental capacity.
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Shameful. And horrible
    Case in point, Joe Biden:

"The Taliban will not take over Afghanistan" - oops

"There will be no helicopters on the roof of the US Embassy" - errrr

"There is no one being killed at the airport" - ouch

"Come on man, those guys fell off the plane four days ago. Five!" - Ohhhkayyyyyyy
    I didn't mean my comment that way. What I'm referring to is the bloodlust for Biden amongst certain Trumpside units. This event is triggering a flood of it and they are not allowing logic or previous positions to stand in the way.

I'm not saying you are one of them so don't go all fruity on me.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    rcs1000 said:

There was an excellent discussion on the last thread about protectionism between @isam and @Stuartinromford, and I thought it worth noting that there are a very similar arguments going on with high tech US staff in Silicon Valley.

Basically, Facebook, Apple, Google, etc., want to continue to build up their development hubs in the Silicon Valley area, but their enormous hiring sprees have sent rents in SF and the Bay Area through the roof. A public school teacher simply can't afford to live within 50 miles of Cupertino.

There is therefore enormous resistance from a lot of long-term residents to their actions, because their growth has negative externalities.

But Apple, etc., have shot back with Without our tax revenues, you would have serious problems keeping the lights on. And if we start moving development to Austin, or Bangalore, then that whole expertise will start moving outside California or even the US as a whole.

And that's the difficult choice people have.

It would be a harder choice if Apple actually paid all the local taxes they owe:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/apple-s-hometown-mayor-firm-abuses-us-by-not-paying-taxes-1.2636749

In fact, the town also pays Apple:
    https://www.cultofmac.com/631274/cupertino-has-paid-out-70m-to-stay-apples-hometown/
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Sainsbury delivery: everything as ordered except a packet of veggie burgers.
This discussion has been closed.