Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Axing the triple lock could be another #dementia tax debacle – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

US deaths confirmed.

military?
    Yes
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2021
    You know when you think the media might be a bit too trapped in the social media bubble...4th story on BBC website...

Nah he tweakin: What it means and why it's all over our timelines

For starters its not all over my timeline....
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,846
    My god. My god. The videos of the scenes outside the airport. I’m not even going to link. I just saw them on Twitter

Be warned
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,160
    Even in China they are having labour recruit problems:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/08/26/200000-more-workers-needed-for-iphone-13/
  • Options
    This is surely the end of the evacuation? They could kill hundreds more with impunity. Just let rip with machine guns.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited August 2021

HYUFD said:

Macron, Merkel is on her way out, Boris is probably second but Macron will effectively become de facto EU leader once Merkel goes next month too

A side-issue compared with current developments, but interesting to see how globally popular Merkel is (and perhaps the slump in CDU polling is partly just regret that she's going) - vastly preferred to Johnson even in Britain and to Macron even in France. Biden and Trudeau well-liked too, but everyone else negative, with Johnson more unpopular than Putin in Italy and Germany. Macron is fairly popular *except* in Italy and France ("nobody is a hero to his family").

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/26/angela-merkel-scores-higher-in-approval-ratings-than-any-current-world-leader
    Yes but Merkel will be gone next month. Trudeau and Biden more popular than Merkel in the UK. I expect Biden's popularity will decline after these events outside the US as it has declined in the US.

Ironically Johnson is more popular in France than Macron on that poll.

However you do not measure power by popularity but how powerful militarily and economically your nation is and how willing you are to project that power globally.

Xi clearly the most unpopular of all the leaders mentioned in most of the European countries polled, though Putin more unpopular in the UK and Spain (Putin also least popular in the US but Xi not included there).
  • Options
    Leon said:

My god. My god. The videos of the scenes outside the airport. I’m not even going to link. I just saw them on Twitter

Be warned

That's a lot more than 13.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907
    Sandpit – in that scenario India wouldn't be 'chasing' 300 unless by chasing you mean chasing 300 just to make us bat again...
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Leon said:

Be warned

The pixelated one looked horrific, then I scrolled down and saw the full graphic version...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,907
    I'd be very worried if I had tickets for the Test on Saturday. Looks unlikely to go beyond three days but stranger things have happened at Headingley...
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Leon said:

Be warned

That's a lot more than 13.
    Yes, and another bomb at the airport hotel? Dozens dead probably. Sweet Jesus. Awful

This is much worse than the fall of Saigon. The evacuation surely ends now, or very soon. Which means thousands will be left behind, including western passport holders maybe?

Complete disaster
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,201
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Westminster Voting Intention:

CON: 37% (-7)
    LAB: 34% (+3)
    LDM: 14% (+2)
    GRN: 5% (+1)
    SNP: 4% (-2)
    REF: 2% (+1)

Via @Kantar_UKI, 19-23 August, Changes w/ 12 July.

Another one showing an SNP drop.....(probably noise, but you never know...)
    Well that’s somewhat more than MoE, albeit with changes over a month. August effect, or something more worrying for the government?
    SNP heading for the buffers with their maniacal focus on GRA and self ID with no intention on independence. They are shipping members at a great rate. Chickens coming home to roost.
    God curse the Judean Popular People´s Front, those splitters, eh Malcolm?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Will the Dems pull the plug on Biden in the next few days?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,944
    Leon said:

I posted this at 2pm today

‘I have an ominous feeling this evacuation might end very soon, and in even greater chaos

Those are brave Allied soldiers, out there’

An hour later..

However, it doesn’t take Rogerdamus to foresee this

What I did say a week back was that ISIS or AQ would attack the airport, not the Taliban. It was so bloody obvious

There are numerous groups outwith those two capable and willing to pull summat like this off.
    Not least Tajik, and other, members of the former Afghan military.
    Full blown Civil War is coming I fear.
    Yet again.
  • Options
    What does this do to Biden?

At least 30 reported dead now, and…

‘Very preliminary report—But reliable sources familiar with the situation on the ground in Afghanistan are telling my team that four US Marines were killed in bombing outside of the Kabul Airport. Again, this is preliminary, but horrific if confirmed. Pray.’

https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1430911739952984078?s=21
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    NEW: America's reputation has taken a hit in a number of foreign countries – especially the United Kingdom – over the past several days of chaos since the fall of Kabul. morningconsult.com/2021/08/26/uni…

https://twitter.com/eyokley/status/1430906153777602568?s=21
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    English cases down again (very slightly!) week on week. 29,417 vs 29,762.

UK up but only marginally by 2,000 from last Thursday.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    US military deaths may change the equation a bit. It becomes even harder to sweep the Kabul surrender under the rug for Biden.
  • Options
    Leon said:

‘Very preliminary report—But reliable sources familiar with the situation on the ground in Afghanistan are telling my team that four US Marines were killed in bombing outside of the Kabul Airport. Again, this is preliminary, but horrific if confirmed. Pray.’

Well first he will have to wake up from his mid morning nap...then before his afternoon nap, he will have to be briefed...and then before bed at 8pm, will have to make a decision.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,113
    @AndrewNoymer
    The death-to-case ratio (no adjustment for confounders) in the Delta waves (i.e., last few months to present)... seems to be LOWER in countries that used the AstraZeneca jab
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

I posted this at 2pm today

‘I have an ominous feeling this evacuation might end very soon, and in even greater chaos

Those are brave Allied soldiers, out there’

An hour later..

However, it doesn’t take Rogerdamus to foresee this

What I did say a week back was that ISIS or AQ would attack the airport, not the Taliban. It was so bloody obvious

There are numerous groups outwith those two capable and willing to pull summat like this off.
    Not least Tajik, and other, members of the former Afghan military.
    Full blown Civil War is coming I fear.
    Yet again.
    Yes. Inevitably

Taliban spox are now condemning the attack. They’ve already lost control. That suffering country will suffer again, and again

Such a brilliant idea to close Bagram airbase. Genius presidenting, Joe
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    A week ago in Scotland 317 Patients with Covid. Today 426. Similar percentage rise in ventilator usage as well.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited August 2021
    Leon said:

Believable, but I’d rather wait for reliable sources to speak/tweet themselves. The guy is a right wing US talk show host.
  • Options
    I don't think Bairstow is going to hang about here.....
  • Options
    ping said:

Leon said:

Believable, but I’d rather wait for reliable sources to speak/tweet themselves. The guy is a right wing US talk show host.
    He’s a blue tick with 1.7m followers. Not a complete rando

Of course I hope he’s wrong but it is very plausible
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Leon said:

Biden will say “see, this is why we need to leave.”
  • Options
    Joe Biden about three days ago

‘Look. No ones being killed at the airport right now. Knock on wood. No one will be killed’

https://twitter.com/xeriland/status/1430914975816634375?s=21

How many hostages to fortune has he handed over? How many interviews and speeches, which now look insanely misjudged?
  • Options
    Leon said:

In the eyes of the American public, these deaths will either confirm Biden was right to GTFO asap rather than risk more American lives for no discernible gain, or condemn him for unnecessary deaths. Could go either way. Or both. Dunno really.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    DougSeal said:

Wonder how Mr isam and his girl-friend are getting on.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Leon said:

Joe Biden about three days ago

‘Look. No ones being killed at the airport right now. Knock on wood. No one will be killed’

https://twitter.com/xeriland/status/1430914975816634375?s=21

How many hostages to fortune has he handed over? How many interviews and speeches, which now look insanely misjudged?

He is clearly a unfit for office ill man.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847

Sandpit – in that scenario India wouldn't be 'chasing' 300 unless by chasing you mean chasing 300 just to make us bat again...

True. They’d need 300 to avoid an innings defeat.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    edited August 2021

DougSeal said:

She is in bed at her parents, I am watching the cricket! She's going to do the test when he gets home. Reckons she's felt like this loads before though, run down. Fingers crossed

Thanks for asking

Our son went on a plane for the first time today, over to Cork to see his Great Nan. That has made her happy

• Options
    Doing my online shop, Tesco seem to have absolutely nothing but yet Sainsbury's have no problems? Can anyone explain why?
  • Options

Leon said:

In the eyes of the American public, these deaths will either confirm Biden was right to GTFO asap rather than risk more American lives for no discernible gain, or condemn him for unnecessary deaths. Could go either way. Or both. Dunno really.
    This is absolutely brutal but necessary reading on the terrible catastrophe of Afghanistan. Hundreds of thousands stranded. An American clusterfuck of monumental proportions. And this was written BEFORE the explosions

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/biden-abandons-our-allies-what-its-really-like-on-the-ground-in-kabul/

Shameful. And horrible
  • Options
    Root 100
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379

Doing my online shop, Tesco seem to have absolutely nothing but yet Sainsbury's have no problems? Can anyone explain why?

Possibly Sainsbury offering more money to its drivers?
  • Options
    There’s Root century, at nearly five an over too!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

You know when you think the media might be a bit too trapped in the social media bubble...4th story on BBC website...

News to me too. What does it mean then?
  • Options

Throughout the pandemic and pingdemic, I have had virtually no issues with Sainsbury's.
  • Options
    That was reminiscent of Boycott’s on-drive for his 100th hundred.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Root 100

• Options
    DougSeal said:

Looks like South West may have peaked.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    kinabalu said:

Its some absolute bollocks social media nonsense.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-58344467

We have bombers in Kabul, COVID cases rising, the supply chain issues, the Paralympics...and the BBC think this is a really important story...head out of arse.
  • Options
    isam said:

DougSeal said:

She is in bed at her parents, I am watching the cricket! She's going to do the test when he gets home. Reckons she's felt like this loads before though, run down. Fingers crossed

Thanks for asking

Our son went on a plane for the first time today, over to Cork to see his Great Nan. That has made her happy

Glad to read that you are both relaxed about it. Getting tense and worried is the worst thing for her, and if you are you'll only make her worse.

Best of.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Root and Anderson have to be in the mix for SPoTY. Or at least a nomination.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    tlg86 said:

Root in particular has had a fantastic season, but it is totally overshadowed by England as a whole being poor, while so many massive successes in other sports. He won't get a luck in. In a non-Olympics year, Jimmy might have got the Ryan Giggs award for being an old bastard that is still bloody good.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    GIN1138 said:

Will the Dems pull the plug on Biden in the next few days?

Biden is meant to be campaigning for Newsom against recall in California over the week-end.....

Awks....
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Root in particular has had a fantastic season, but it is totally overshadowed by England as a whole being poor, while so many massive successes in other sports. He won't get a luck in. In a non-Olympics year, Jimmy might have got the Ryan Giggs award for being an old bastard that is still bloody good.
    It’s England’s averageness that makes those two standout. Whether the judges see fit to include them, I don’t know, but they are superb.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    edited August 2021
    kinabalu said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-58344467

To be fair, from the address I can tell it's a 'newsbeat' story - so aimed at the 16-24 demographic.

You don't need to read the story if you are older than this and if you do it will only make you howl repeatedly in frustration at the inanity of it all.

At first I thought it related to the Radio 4 comedian, fridge-hitchhiker and tennis player Tony Hawks, which temporarily gave the story a slightly different frisson. But it turns out to be nothing to do with him.

What it's doing on the grown up news I don't know.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited August 2021
    Chameleon said:

US military deaths may change the equation a bit. It becomes even harder to sweep the Kabul surrender under the rug for Biden.

It is of course Trump's surrender originally, but he may be the one to benefit from it, in usual shameless style. Terrible scenes today.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

Tesco have always been a bit... rubbish?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    BREAK - MoD says there have been no reported UK military or UK govt casualties following the incidents in #Kabul #Afghanistan
    https://twitter.com/sima_kotecha/status/1430919329474879491
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-58344467

To be fair, from the address I can tell it's a 'newsbeat' story - so aimed at the 16-24 demographic.

You don't need to read the story if you are older than this and if you do it will only make you howl repeatedly in frustration at the inanity of it all.

At first I thought it related to the Radio 4 comedian, fridge-hitchhiker and tennis player Tony Hawks, assuming which temporarily gave the story a slightly different frisson. But it turns out to be nothing to do with him.

What it's doing on the grown up news I don't know.
    At the risk of seeming like Malc, it's beyond cuckoo.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Politico has been sold for $1 Billion to Axel-Springer, the German publisher of Bild and Die Welt, among other titles.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

It’s England’s averageness that makes those two standout. Whether the judges see fit to include them, I don’t know, but they are superb.
    I looked up Anderson on wikipedia last night (I wanted to see how close to 40 he was). I learned that his nickname is 'Jimmy'. That's not a nickname, it's a name.

Anyway, sometimes, when I don't have enough to worry about, I picture a world without Jimmy Anderson. (I'm not predicting his death, you understand, just his retirement from international cricket). And then he just gets better. I swear he's a better bowler now than he's ever been. Will he still be around when he's 40? Will he overtake Shane Warne? Will he see us into the 2030s?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763

Chameleon said:

It is ofcourse Trump's surrender originally, but he may benefit. Terrible scenes today.
    If Trump was still President, he'd be denying anything bad had actually happened, and his supporters would have believed him.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DougSeal said:

@AndrewNoymer
    The death-to-case ratio (no adjustment for confounders) in the Delta waves (i.e., last few months to present)... seems to be LOWER in countries that used the AstraZeneca jab

No shit. Killed & modified live vaccines are better…
  • Options
    Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I looked up Anderson on wikipedia last night. I learned that his nickname is 'Jimmy'. That's not a nickname, it's a name.

Anyway, sometimes, when I don't have enough to worry about, I picture a world without Jimmy Anderson. (I'm not predicting his death, you understand, just his retirement from international cricket). And then he just gets better. I swear he's a better bowler now than he's ever been. Will he still be around when he's 40? Will he overtake Shane Warne? Will he see us into the 2030s?
    He hasn't lost his banana bending abilities (and able to bowl as fast, if not faster, than earlier in his career), it is just niggling injuries now that stop him.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I looked up Anderson on wikipedia last night. I learned that his nickname is 'Jimmy'. That's not a nickname, it's a name.

Sitting near the boundary some years ago when he was fielding close by I heard someone ask him what he liked to be called.
    His reply: 'My mother calls me James'
  • Options

Politico has been sold for $1 Billion to Axel-Springer, the German publisher of Bild and Die Welt, among other titles.

Wow. Fair play to them, who were the shareholders there?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

@AndrewNoymer

Quasi effective, pseudo science....
  • Options

Throughout the pandemic and pingdemic, I have had virtually no issues with Sainsbury's.
    Tesco has had its ups and downs, but Tesco Stretford seems to have everything at the moment and been fine for a couple of months. But when I did our holiday online shop a couple of weeks back Tesco Wadebridge was out of loads of things. A minor mystery how it can vary so much by region (Wadebridge probably has much greater problems with seasonality).
  • Options

CatMan said:

Chameleon said:

It is ofcourse Trump's surrender originally, but he may benefit. Terrible scenes today.
    If Trump was still President, he'd be denying anything bad had actually happened, and his supporters would have believed him.
    Probably be calling the marines a bunch of losers.

Whatever and however bad this gets it would have been worse under that clown.
    While I agree with this I can't in all honesty 'Like' it!
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

CatMan said:

Chameleon said:

Maybe so, but unfortunately for the Dems, that's speculation.

What is happening now is fact.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Cookie said:

Tesco has had its ups and downs, but Tesco Stretford seems to have everything at the moment and been fine for a couple of months. But when I did our holiday online shop a couple of weeks back Tesco Wadebridge was out of loads of things. A minor mystery how it can vary so much by region (Wadebridge probably has much greater problems with seasonality).
    I believe it only takes a small percentage increase in unexpected demand (or I presume by the other side, reduction in capacity) to completely screw the JIT model.

When it seemed like everybody was hoarding bog rolls, I am sure the supermarkets were saying it was only taking 10% increase to cause it.
  • Options
    Bairstow gone....
  • Options
    Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

He’s a blue tick with 1.7m followers. Not a complete rando

Of course I hope he’s wrong but it is very plausible
    Will it do anything at all to Biden? A British media would be replaying his 'no one is dying' comment back at him. But the American media - from the very, very little I've seen - still seem pathetically grateful to him for not being Donald Trump.

I'm not there so may be entirely wrong. Look forward to the perspective of American posters like @SeaShantyIrish2 .
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    DougSeal said:

@AndrewNoymer

The Government is aware of this which is why there will not be a booster jab for ANZ
  • Options

Cookie said:

I believe it only takes a small percentage increase in unexpected demand (or I presume by the other side, reduction in capacity) to completely screw the JIT model.

When it seemed like everybody was hoarding bog rolls, I am sure the supermarkets were saying it was only taking 10% increase to cause it.
    Do you live in Devon, Francis, or am I confusing you with someone else? If so, that (i.e. heavy season of tourists in tourist hotspot) perhaps explains your travails.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,466
    Maybe Root could get 200 or 300.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

CatMan said:

Chameleon said:

While I agree with this I can't in all honesty 'Like' it!
    Aren't we liking the saliency or pithiness of the comment rather than the news that is being observed?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Do you live in Devon, Francis, or am I confusing you with someone else? If so, that (i.e. heavy season of tourists in tourist hotspot) perhaps explains your travails.
    I think you might be confusing posters. Throughout everything I haven't had any real issues with supermarket supplies, although I only order from Waitrose and Sainsburys.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,160
    Charles said:

DougSeal said:

@AndrewNoymer

No shit. Killed & modified live vaccines are better…
    That can't be right, the virology expert Macron said so.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    DougSeal said:

"Back to School"

As the ads say in the shops selling kids apparel.

Any schools brought out face masks with the school crest on them as part of the uniform requirements?
  • Options
    Breaking

Manchester City's Benjamin Mendy charged with four counts of rape
  • Options

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

He hasn't lost his banana bending abilities (and able to bowl as fast, if not faster, than earlier in his career), it is just niggling injuries now that stop him.
    Yes, at one stage (and I really admire sportspeople who can do this) he completely reinvented himself, sacrificing raw speed for skill and accuracy. And became a much better cricketer. But it seems now he is, without losing accuracy or skill, building more and more of that speed back in. At an age where most cricketers - most sportsmen - are coasting gently towards retirement.
    I'm convincing myself that he should be SPOTY not just this year but every year.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

This is absolutely brutal but necessary reading on the terrible catastrophe of Afghanistan. Hundreds of thousands stranded. An American clusterfuck of monumental proportions. And this was written BEFORE the explosions

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/biden-abandons-our-allies-what-its-really-like-on-the-ground-in-kabul/

Shameful. And horrible
    That is required reading.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

I think you might be confusing posters. Throughout everything I haven't had any real issues with supermarket supplies, although I only order from Waitrose and Sainsburys.
    Sorry - so I am! @CorrectHorseBattery - do YOU live in Devon (or a touristy area)?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Yes, at one stage (and I really admire sportspeople who can do this) he completely reinvented himself, sacrificing raw speed for skill and accuracy. And became a much better cricketer. But it seems now he is, without losing accuracy or skill, building more and more of that speed back in. At an age where most cricketers - most sportsmen - are coasting gently towards retirement.
    I'm convincing myself that he should be SPOTY not just this year but every year.
    Its a shame that it doesn't seem like whatever his magic formula is that others within the England setup don't seem to be able to take on board what he does and copy it.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

There’s probably a couple of million more people in the UK at the moment, than one might expect from a ‘regular’ August.

Most people, even those on holiday, will be getting around by car - as opposed to foreign tourists who are much less likely to go near a supermarket.
  • Options
    I love the way you can infer the story from the urls at the Telegraph - though it always sounds like the story is being explained by an old red faced drunkard in a pub, probably waving his copy of the Telegraph at you as he does so..
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

Tweet from April. Probably not so funny now, if it ever was

@paddypower
    Kyle Walker and Benjamin Mendy at fullback for City today. Two of the lockdown sex party holy trinity.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Sorry - so I am! @CorrectHorseBattery - do YOU live in Devon (or a touristy area)?
    I live in London.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

I live in London.
    Fair enough. It was a good theory.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Only known Devonians are @MarqueeMark and myself I think.
  • Options
    England collapse!!!!!!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

I live in London.
    No problem Cookie Monster
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Shami becomes the third Indian bowler, to ship more runs this innings than the entire Indian batting lineup could score.

Then gets Buttler next ball!
  • Options
    I was down in Devon a couple of months ago.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

I live in London.
    Ha ha - no-one has called me that since school!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

I live in London.
    Ha ha - no-one has called me that since school!
    I'm just Correctly Horsing around
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Yes, I managed to not only confuse Francis for Marquee Mark, but also confuse who had said what in the thread between Francis and Horse. Not my most successful posting.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Yes, I managed to not only confuse Francis for Marquee Mark, but also confuse who had said what in the thread between Francis and Horse. Not my most successful posting.
    When they call you Horse <3
  • Options
    Perhaps I should be charged with Battery!!!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

kinabalu said:

Its some absolute bollocks social media nonsense.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-58344467

We have bombers in Kabul, COVID cases rising, the supply chain issues, the Paralympics...and the BBC think this is a really important story...head out of arse.
    Ok, thanks, read it all. I agree it's not the most important thing going on right now but it's not total trivia imo. There is a point to it.

Precis: Lil Nas X got into trouble recently for marketing trainers containing a drop of human blood in the sole. Tony Hawks developed the idea, came up with skateboards painted using (drops of) HIS own blood, and Hawks got plaudits not brickbats for it.

Lil Nas X was understandably pissed off and he replied to a Hawks post on the subject with "Nah he tweakin" - meaning "what a bellend".

So far, no story. The story is what then occurred. Literally MILLIONS of people - just for a laugh - seized on this phrase and started spraying it all over the internet, causing a fair amount of minor inconvenience in places.

The story, therefore, is of people power (for good or for ill) in the digital age - rather like that 'shares ramping' one we had a while ago.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,466
    14% is an encouraging figure for the LDs in today's Kantar opinion poll.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Maybe Root could get 200 or 300.

Enjoy your exile on ConHome.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
This discussion has been closed.