Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The latest Redfield poll looks like an outlier – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, in the general scheme of things, I don't think the French system of counting "an infection plus one dose of vaccine" as fully vaccinated is particularly heinous. Indeed, such a person is almost certainly less likely to catch to spread Covid than a recipient of the Janssens single dose vaccine.

Cool, but they count the Janssenites too.
    Yes - albeit (like most places) they've only used a small portion of their Janssens vaccine.
    Jansenism was always controversial in France, I recall...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Boris Johnson personally overruled Ben Wallace to allow Pen Farthing's animals to leave Kabul on a charter plane, friends say

Friend of Farthing Dominic Dyer told Mail Plus: "Mr Johnson's wife Carrie 'most certainly had something to do with the change'"

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1430528636180963329?s=20

Every time I think I couldn't despise him any more than I already do, he blindsides me like this.
    Why? I'm not exactly a Boris booster, but, as I posted earlier, the plane will carry the animals in the hold and will have space for 100 human evacuees as well, including all the British staff in the clinic. The only reason to refuse would be if air traffic control can't handle one extra plane landing and taking off, and that seems unlikely since normal civilian traffic is suspended.

There's too much emotion on both sides on this issue. It's just a practical question, and resolving it by saying "animals first!" or "animals never!" is just knee-jerk stuff. If it helps both humans and animals, it doesn't need armchair micromanagers like us to offer a running commentary - just let them get on with it, and every other detailed decision that they need to take.
    I refuse to believe it is not using valuable time and resources and distracting people from more important tasks. Animals don't mind being euthanased; the moral downside of doing it is zero, and failing to do it in circumstances where there is one chance in a million of one human being suffering as a result is contemptible.

I say that as the owner of six ponies which have no conceivable use or monetary value to me, incidentally (actually they cost me a fortune in running costs) so this is not an animal-hating rant. But if they were in Kabul I'd have them shot without thinking twice about it.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    Sandpit said:

I know lots of people get tattoos for various personal reasons, but I think one of the most fitting tattoos people get is Olympians getting the rings.

In general not a big fan of tattoos, but when I see that, I think yeah I get that. I probably would too if I was in their position.

Yes, that’s just about the only one i can understand. You’ll never be ashamed to show that to your grandkids.
    Apart from that 'why did you have to give your medal back, granda?' moment.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    Leon said:

rpjs said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Tattoos and piercings are just direction signs, on the long road to suicide

Wouldn't dream of having a tatt, but what a peculiar and tasteless comment to make.

As offensive as your regular autism commentaries that offend me so much.
    As I have just shown below, I am simply stating a scientific truth, but in a concise way
    In what way is this a commentary on the Redfield and Wilton poll being an outlier?
    Quite right, this must be the first time ever we've gone off topic below the line.

;)
    Hardly anyone ever stays on topic (I have the off-topic points to prove my own guilt) but there is one poster who craftily hijacks the agenda with some completely tangential posts and on a regular basis.
    I can't help being interesting, sorry

Also, what I have just pointed out is actually valuable information. If you have a friend, child, cousin, acquaintance who is getting a lot of tatts and/or piercings, be just a little bit concerned. It is a potential marker for something bad down the line
    Rather depends, doesn’t it?

I find inks of husbands/wives/children’s names a lovely thing to do. A signal of commitment, if anything.
    Indeed. One or two tatts can be lovely. Also sexy, if done well, in the right place

However there is scientific evidence of a threshold where persistent tattooing indicates deeper psychological disturbance. It seems to be around four or five tattoos (or piercings) - once you go above that: warning signs flash

What got me interested in this recently is that I've been watching Anthony Bourdain, that genius writer/TV presenter

In the final seasons of his show he gets more and more tattoos. And of course, tragically, he committed suicide during the filming of the 12th season of Parts Unknown

The tatts were a red light, there
    Tattoos and piercings are pretty unexceptional and even mainstream these days, so I doubt that more people getting them means more suicides, as sadly the people with tattoos/piercings who were/are going to suicide would probably have been getting them anyway, if that was their thing.
    A face tattoo is a huge warning sign for me. Something is probably wrong if you do that. I find them disturbing and I am concerned for the people that do it. Yes, compassion!
    All the signs were there, but it seems his death was an accident

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50214342
  • Options
    Leon said:

rpjs said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Wouldn't dream of having a tatt, but what a peculiar and tasteless comment to make.

As I have just shown below, I am simply stating a scientific truth, but in a concise way
    In what way is this a commentary on the Redfield and Wilton poll being an outlier?
    Quite right, this must be the first time ever we've gone off topic below the line.

;)
    Hardly anyone ever stays on topic (I have the off-topic points to prove my own guilt) but there is one poster who craftily hijacks the agenda with some completely tangential posts and on a regular basis.

Also, what I have just pointed out is actually valuable information. If you have a friend, child, cousin, acquaintance who is getting a lot of tatts and/or piercings, be just a little bit concerned. It is a potential marker for something bad down the line

I find inks of husbands/wives/children’s names a lovely thing to do. A signal of commitment, if anything.
    Indeed. One or two tatts can be lovely. Also sexy, if done well, in the right place

However there is scientific evidence of a threshold where persistent tattooing indicates deeper psychological disturbance. It seems to be around four or five tattoos (or piercings) - once you go above that: warning signs flash

What got me interested in this recently is that I've been watching Anthony Bourdain, that genius writer/TV presenter

In the final seasons of his show he gets more and more tattoos. And of course, tragically, he committed suicide during the filming of the 12th season of Parts Unknown

Tattoos and piercings are pretty unexceptional and even mainstream these days, so I doubt that more people getting them means more suicides, as sadly the people with tattoos/piercings who were/are going to suicide would probably have been getting them anyway, if that was their thing.
    A face tattoo is a huge warning sign for me. Something is probably wrong if you do that. I find them disturbing and I am concerned for the people that do it. Yes, compassion!
    Yes, I do recall many moons ago reading that there appeared to be a near 100% correlation between having specifically a spider-web tattoo on one's face and serious psychosis.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    Well played Haseeb Hameed, I’d been hoping he’d return for a long while 51*
  • Options
    China has reiterated its offer to help in Afghanistan's peace and reconstruction process, following "smooth and effective" talks with a Taliban delegation, according to Chinese media.

A foreign ministry spokesperson said: "China respects the Afghan people's autonomy in deciding their future and destiny, supports putting the principle of 'Afghan-led and Afghan-owned' into practice, and is willing to continue to develop good-neighbourly, friendly and co-operative relations."
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    As for Norway, this morning's Sentio poll a little better for the centre-right "Blue" bloc but they still trail the centre-left "Red" bloc 51-37.

A poor poll for Labour in contrast to yesterday's Norstat but better for the Greens and Red Party.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551
    "Why the world is becoming more French

From industrial policy and nuclear power to "strategic autonomy" and the 35-hour week, the 2020s are popularising many French instincts about world affairs and the state.
    JEREMY CLIFFE"

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/europe/2021/08/why-world-becoming-more-french
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,590
    stodge said:

As for Norway, this morning's Sentio poll a little better for the centre-right "Blue" bloc but they still trail the centre-left "Red" bloc 51-37.

A poor poll for Labour in contrast to yesterday's Norstat but better for the Greens and Red Party.

Looks like the Norwegian Blues are resting.
  • Options
    Talking of tatoos, from BBC sport feed....

Nicholas Smith: If England don’t win this Test match, I’ll get a picture of Virat Kohli tattooed on my backside.
  • Options
    During the Pentagon briefing just now, press secretary John Kirby confirmed he had seen press reports that someone affiliated with Islamic State had taken one of the evacuation flights.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Nicholas Smith: If England don’t win this Test match, I’ll get a picture of Virat Kohli tattooed on my backside.

Time to declare yet, or is bowling them out a second time for 32 runs a little too optimistic?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

During the Pentagon briefing just now, press secretary John Kirby confirmed he had seen press reports that someone affiliated with Islamic State had taken one of the evacuation flights.

Hopefully you mean as a passenger not pilot.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 485
    rpjs said:

theProle said:

I know we've forgotten about COVID but things are not looking rosy in Scotland

Unpleasant in the SW too......
    Scotland and the SW the arse ends of Britain.

(I'm joking, I love them both.)

Anyone up for having a PB meet on the Penzance to Aberdeen train?

14 hour train journey for us to discuss things like AV and Scottish independence?
    We could charter a rake of stock hauled by some 37s? If so, all the PB rail nerds will be in...
    If you want Mark 1 stock and a pair of 37s, can I recommend the Scarborough Spa Express? They do posh class with dining for the likes of TSE, while us cranks can sit in Standard with our packed lunch and flask.
    Nah it'd have to be one of DRS's 37/4s in the One True livery: BR "large logo" rail blue.
    One of the things I love about PB as a very rare poster is the way a thread will disappear off down an obscure or nerdy rabbit hole and yet loads of the regular posters seem to know all about it. I'm trying to decide whether to be smugly impressed that I often also know quite a bit about many of the same obscure/nerdy subjects, or worried I should get a life.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    isam said:

Leon said:

rpjs said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

;)

OMFG

I saw a picture of a girl recently, with the word "SLUT" in huge letters tattooed on her forehead. Her chances of making it to 40 feel slim to me, but one can hope

THAT is even worse. Jesus
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767
    TimT said:

Time to declare yet, or is bowling them out a second time for 32 runs a little too optimistic?
    That'd be so much fun. It might even work.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 485
    pigeon said:

pigeon said:

If JCVI do only recommend only a few 100k get a booster and Javid doesn't overrule, if (as I think it is certain booster or not) we see a lot more in hospital come the winter, i can see Tories client vote being very angry.

The Mail will be rammed full of sad stories of oldies who didn't qualify for a booster and died.

Yep, it's an enormous political gamble - doubly so if the Americans and most of the EU states decide to run extensive booster campaigns.

Giving most of the UK's vaccine allocation away to Covax (for which we will get exactly zero credit, only criticism for not being even more generous even sooner,) won't get the Government very far in the court of public opinion if we go through yet another oldie holocaust, still less if it ends with renewed restrictions to stop the crumbling NHS from falling over.
    Oh lordy, can you imagine the response if we lock down this winter to save the NHS because there wasn't a booster campaign?

Glad I'm not making these decisions.
    Two potential epic fails coming for the Government:

1. Lockdown because there was no booster campaign, and the olds all then started coughing and collapsed the NHS
    2. Lockdown because the anti-vaxxers all got sick due to their own bloody mindedness and collapsed the NHS

We are not out of this thing yet, not by a long chalk.
    I can't see why the Government should get the blame for the second
  • Options
    Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

rpjs said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

;)

OMFG

I saw a picture of a girl recently, with the word "SLUT" in huge letters tattooed on her forehead. Her chances of making it to 40 feel slim to me, but one can hope

In mirror writing?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    The Orange Taliban are taking inspiration from their fellow fundamentalist loons

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2021
    If you thought LBGT...... acronym was running out of letters, I have just seen some PR talking about this now with numbers in there.
  • Options

If you thought LBGT...... acronym was running out of letters, I have just seen some PR talking about this now with numbers in there.

I just get bloody confused - can't we all be into whatever we're into without having to use half the sodding alphabet?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024

I thought we had reached Peak Mad Woke Initialism with

LGBTQIAPK

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/lgbtqiapk-addiction

But now they add numbers? Genius
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

rpjs said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

;)

OMFG

Billy sitch. She’ll be very sorry one day!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,611
    Ooft. Alex Salmond describes SNP-Green deal as "student politics masquerading as coalition building"

"If I had placed Government in the hands of the Green Party, there would currently be no Forth Crossing and no Aberdeen Western Peripheral Road."

https://twitter.com/chrisgreennews/status/1430538455549943810?s=21
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Hopefully you mean as a passenger not pilot.
    Seeing as the Taliban regard IS as "deviants" and summarily executed one IS prisoner when taking over a jail, maybe he could be said to be a genuine refugee.
  • Options
    Leon said:

LGBTQIAPK

LGBTQIA2+....no idea what the 2 is for.
  • Options

Leon said:

LGBTQIAPK

Two-spirit.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,954
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, in the general scheme of things, I don't think the French system of counting "an infection plus one dose of vaccine" as fully vaccinated is particularly heinous. Indeed, such a person is almost certainly less likely to catch to spread Covid than a recipient of the Janssens single dose vaccine.

So long as that is transparent in comparative figures it doesn't seem much of an issue.
    It's a pretty sensible use of the available doses to get as much protection as possible. The sort of thing that some people would be praising to the skies had the UK done it. And if the competition aspect is of concern, don't worry- at current rates, France will have done more doses per head full stop in about three weeks time. (Checking the numbers just now, it turns out that Ireland overtook the UK on that measure last week. Blimey. Maybe they'll offer us their spare doses when they're done.)

Why is the UK moping so much about vaccinating teenagers?
    Absolutely agree with that.

But Eurogoon Twitter has just pivoted back to desperate EU-justification on the base of France being slightly more jabbed than the Uk despite the non comparable numbers.

My real concern with that is that is the only press in Brussels is of the shitty Yellow variety, it will prevent the EU (EuCo especially) reforming into being a functional (as opposed to deeply disfunctional) organisation.

We have escaped; others have not.
    The EU's biggest Covid problem is in the East, where Bulgaria, Romania and others have negligible levels of vaccine take up. They are going to have horrible, horrible winters.

On point, hasn't Covid shown both the weaknesses and the strengths of the EU. They fucked up big time. They bitched and moaned and attempted a completely baseless lawsuit. They were slow and they prioritised the wrong thing.

But they did also realise their mistake. And they used the fact that they were large to put in an ginormous Pfizer, and they incentivized Pfizer to make deliveries fast. And it worked. Pfizer got the EU out of their hole. Outside of Eastern Europe (where the problem is a combination of Russian-led misinformation, and countries that chose not to participate in the EU scheme), they are now in roughly the same place as the UK.
  • Options

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

rpjs said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

;)

OMFG

I'd wager she was forced into it by an abusive partner.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited August 2021

Ooft. Alex Salmond describes SNP-Green deal as "student politics masquerading as coalition building"

"If I had placed Government in the hands of the Green Party, there would currently be no Forth Crossing and no Aberdeen Western Peripheral Road."

Lol. “Aberdeen western peripheral road”

What a shit name for a road.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    rpjs said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

rpjs said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

;)

OMFG

I'd wager she was forced into it by an abusive partner.
    You could well be right, but if the tattooing was done by a professional then they should be prosecuted.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

Leon said:

LGBTQIAPK

Two-spirit.
    What?!
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,970
    theProle said:

I know we've forgotten about COVID but things are not looking rosy in Scotland

Unpleasant in the SW too......
    Scotland and the SW the arse ends of Britain.

(I'm joking, I love them both.)

Anyone up for having a PB meet on the Penzance to Aberdeen train?

14 hour train journey for us to discuss things like AV and Scottish independence?
    We could charter a rake of stock hauled by some 37s? If so, all the PB rail nerds will be in...
    With Mk1 coaches, preferably with compartments.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Leon said:

LGBTQIAPK

Two-spirit.
    What?!
    Two-Spirit (also two spirit or, occasionally, twospirited) is a modern, pan-Indian, umbrella term used by some Indigenous North Americans to describe Native people in their communities who fulfill a traditional third-gender (or other gender-variant) ceremonial and social role in their cultures.[1][2][3]

Fancy not knowing that.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    The latest German poll from Trend Research (not quite sure how strong a pollster they are in Germany):

Union CDU/CSU: 23% (-10)
    Social Democrats: 21%
    Greens: 17% (+8)
    Free Democrats: 13% (+2)
    Alternative for Germany: 12% (-1)
    Left: 7% (-2)

+/- vs. 2017 election
  • Options
    PJH said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

If JCVI do only recommend only a few 100k get a booster and Javid doesn't overrule, if (as I think it is certain booster or not) we see a lot more in hospital come the winter, i can see Tories client vote being very angry.

The Mail will be rammed full of sad stories of oldies who didn't qualify for a booster and died.

Yep, it's an enormous political gamble - doubly so if the Americans and most of the EU states decide to run extensive booster campaigns.

Giving most of the UK's vaccine allocation away to Covax (for which we will get exactly zero credit, only criticism for not being even more generous even sooner,) won't get the Government very far in the court of public opinion if we go through yet another oldie holocaust, still less if it ends with renewed restrictions to stop the crumbling NHS from falling over.
    Oh lordy, can you imagine the response if we lock down this winter to save the NHS because there wasn't a booster campaign?

Glad I'm not making these decisions.
    Two potential epic fails coming for the Government:

1. Lockdown because there was no booster campaign, and the olds all then started coughing and collapsed the NHS
    2. Lockdown because the anti-vaxxers all got sick due to their own bloody mindedness and collapsed the NHS

We are not out of this thing yet, not by a long chalk.
    I can't see why the Government should get the blame for the second
    Plenty will declare after the fact that they always believed that vaccinations should be compulsory and refusers should've been made to stay in lockdown.

But yes, the consequences of the latter scenario wouldn't be half so grave as the former, I think. Catastrophe in Winter that can be pinned on lack of a booster campaign = bye bye Boris.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

rpjs said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

;)

Quite traditional in Maori, but in anyone else...

Beautiful weather down on the Isle of Wight, with plenty of tatts on show. Not many will look good for long.
    Clearly you chose the right week to come; the first day for a few weeks that feels like high summer again.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

Leon said:

LGBTQIAPK

Two-spirit.
    What?!
    Yep.

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-the-two-spirit-community-5089204
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

rpjs said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

;)

Beautiful weather down on the Isle of Wight, with plenty of tatts on show. Not many will look good for long.
    Clearly you chose the right week to come; the first day for a few weeks that feels like high summer again.
    Yes, glorious weather. Hard to book anywhere for dinner though, so self catering.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

LGBTQIAPK

Two-spirit.
    What?!
    Two-Spirit (also two spirit or, occasionally, twospirited) is a modern, pan-Indian, umbrella term used by some Indigenous North Americans to describe Native people in their communities who fulfill a traditional third-gender (or other gender-variant) ceremonial and social role in their cultures.[1][2][3]

Fancy not knowing that.
    Please describe their place in that society.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    stodge said:

The latest German poll from Trend Research (not quite sure how strong a pollster they are in Germany):

Union CDU/CSU: 23% (-10)
    Social Democrats: 21%
    Greens: 17% (+8)
    Free Democrats: 13% (+2)
    Alternative for Germany: 12% (-1)
    Left: 7% (-2)

+/- vs. 2017 election

Gonna need three!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

LGBTQIAPK

Two-spirit.
    What?!

Fancy not knowing that.
    Indeed. It's as well the average age on PB is about 54. If it were 24 I'd probably have been cancelled already.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    edited August 2021

Leon said:

LGBTQIAPK

Two-spirit.
    That's a new one. If it is exclusively pan-Indian what about that pacific island third gender? (I recall that one as one of the Tuilagi siblings was reported to be so)

There simply has to be a better catch all term - LGBT was a bit clunky to say as an acronym but it still worked as it is only 4 letters, but if you cannot pronounce it you really cannot go past 4 as it just takes too long to sound it out.
  • Options
    ping said:

"M90" would have been better. But people get ansty when you build motorways. So instead we get the A90 AWPR and the A14 Huntingdon bypass which are definitely not motorways...
  • Options
    Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

LGBTQIAPK

Two-spirit.
    What?!

Fancy not knowing that.
    Please describe their place in that society.
    "The primary purpose of coining a new term was to encourage the replacement of the outdated, and offensive, anthropological term berdache, which means "passive partner in sodomy, boy prostitute." "

So I'm hoping things are improving for them.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

LGBTQIAPK

Two-spirit.
    That's a new one.

There simply has to be a better catch all term - LGBT was a bit clunky to say as an acronym but it still worked as it is only 4 letters, but if you cannot pronounce it you really cannot go past 4 as it just takes too long to sound it out.
    Unfortunately a totally meaningless alphabet alphanumeric soup has one advantage. It's "inclusive." The user doesn't risk being cancelled immediately for failing to acknowledge the existence of this or that minuscule community.
  • Options

ping said:

"M90" would have been better. But people get ansty when you build motorways. So instead we get the A90 AWPR and the A14 Huntingdon bypass which are definitely not motorways...
    Call it the M1 if you like. If it actually works. The M1 (as currently known) is just a traffic jam.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

rpjs said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

;)

Enjoy. You will have earned it.
  • Options

ping said:

The AWPR is definitely not a motorway. Especially at the ends.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Foxy said:

Leon said:

rpjs said:

Leon said:

ping said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

;)

Enjoy. You will have earned it.
    If you have a view of the Solent or channel, we have Queen Mary Two sailing by tonight, after dark, en route for dry dock in France.
  • Options

ping said:

The AWPR is definitely not a motorway. Especially at the ends.
    You could say that about the M55, which disgorges into the world’s biggest car park.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    This thread has

formed a coalition with the Greens

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Don't judge me but I have £156 in Dogecoin with Binance. Obviously that is an amount I could afford to lose.

But the question is, should I be transferring it before I risk not being able to sell or get money *from* Binance (HSBC have banned transfers *to* them).

The old fear vs greed question

Is the money you might make worth dipping your hands in shit for?
  • Options

felix said:

Nigelb said:

Full PDF is here:
    https://assets.researchsquare.com/files/rs-828021/v1_covered.pdf?c=1629822798

AZN holds up very well, particuarly as a much higher % of the AZN vaccinees were male.
    the percentage of deaths among all PCR positive post-vaccination COVID-19 cases among recipients of the Sinopharm vaccine was 0.46% (i.e, 112 deaths) versus 0.15% for Pfizer/BioNtech (i.e., 3 deaths) and 0.03% for AZ/Covishield (1 death) (Table 1). This trend was consistent for all COVID-19 events, i.e., infection, hospitalization, ICU admission and death (Tables 1)....

Note that the Chinese vaccines still deliver a strong measure of protection versus non vaccination, despite being poorer than the western comparators.

Golly - as time and the research continues AZT looks better and better - especially remembering the price and ease of administration. I wonder if Macron is ready to change his view as to its quasi-effectiveness. We were told he keeps up with all the research......
    Does your autocorrect turn AZ into AZT? Weird.
    Especially as it was a GW product that is now part of ViiV
  • Options
    ping said:

Cummings was right about Carrie.

wtf does she think she’s doing?

From a PR perspective she’s probably right
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I was unaware of the PB law that says every comment must be on-topic, and refer to the subject of the header. If this law exists, it must be the most ignored law on the internet

I made that comment because I was interested to see how people would react to a little-known but uncomfortable truth. A kind of intelligence test, I guess. I now have my answer
    Dentists and vets are the professions with the highest rates of suicide
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Just watched Raab interviewed about his holibobs on Sky. He said: "The sea was actually closed". How does that work? It reminded me that during lockdown last year our local marina authority stuck a notice on every bench saying: "This bench is closed".

Fabulous thread on other times when the sea was closed #Raab https://twitter.com/hugorifkind/status/1430483128594874374
    Here is you try to swim when there is a red flag flying then the lifeguards will ban you from the beaches

It puts the safety services at considerable risk

The ocean is not your friend.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

One of the greatest false prophecies in the history of modern Britain.

"Five years from now Britain will be flourishing as never before and people will look back and wonder why we didn't do this long before” - Daniel Hannan on Brexit in 2016.

https://twitter.com/brexit_sham/status/1430119648901672973/video/1

If he had prophesied COVID he would have been impressive
This discussion has been closed.