Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The latest Redfield poll looks like an outlier – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Incredibly, the votes in Maricopa County, Ariz. are still being reviewed!!!

Apparently, the latest includes the ballots being examined for bamboo fibers - "a nod to the conspiracy theory that fake ballots had been shipped over from Asia."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/24/opinion/arizona-results-trump-republicans.html
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902

Nigelb said:

Full PDF is here:
    https://assets.researchsquare.com/files/rs-828021/v1_covered.pdf?c=1629822798

AZN holds up very well, particuarly as a much higher % of the AZN vaccinees were male.
    the percentage of deaths among all PCR positive post-vaccination COVID-19 cases among recipients of the Sinopharm vaccine was 0.46% (i.e, 112 deaths) versus 0.15% for Pfizer/BioNtech (i.e., 3 deaths) and 0.03% for AZ/Covishield (1 death) (Table 1). This trend was consistent for all COVID-19 events, i.e., infection, hospitalization, ICU admission and death (Tables 1)....

Note that the Chinese vaccines still deliver a strong measure of protection versus non vaccination, despite being poorer than the western comparators.

So AZ doing great, just as the company begins to wonder whether it is worth continuing after all the negative responses over blood clotting and it now not being used for half the population and so on.
    I said on this pages many moons ago that I reckoned AZ would end up being the best vaccine. My only reasoning was that when I had it, it kicked like mule. It's some good shit.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Nigelb said:

Full PDF is here:

AZN holds up very well, particuarly as a much higher % of the AZN vaccinees were male.
    the percentage of deaths among all PCR positive post-vaccination COVID-19 cases among recipients of the Sinopharm vaccine was 0.46% (i.e, 112 deaths) versus 0.15% for Pfizer/BioNtech (i.e., 3 deaths) and 0.03% for AZ/Covishield (1 death) (Table 1). This trend was consistent for all COVID-19 events, i.e., infection, hospitalization, ICU admission and death (Tables 1)....

Note that the Chinese vaccines still deliver a strong measure of protection versus non vaccination, despite being poorer than the western comparators.

Golly - as time and the research continues AZT looks better and better - especially remembering the price and ease of administration. I wonder if Macron is ready to change his view as to its quasi-effectiveness. We were told he keeps up with all the research......
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited August 2021
    MattW said:

Anecdata from a nurse at my local hosp. this morning.

Some stress on the system reappearing from COVID cases and in ITU. 'Depressing'.

The wife's 50-bed hospital* is back up to 10 COVID patients (having been as high as 80 and as low as low single digits)

* in small town Pennsylvania
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152

Nigelb said:

Full PDF is here:

So AZ doing great, just as the company begins to wonder whether it is worth continuing after all the negative responses over blood clotting and it now not being used for half the population and so on.
    I said on this pages many moons ago that I reckoned AZ would end up being the best vaccine. My only reasoning was that when I had it, it kicked like mule. It's some good shit.
    Macron has a lot to answer for. Hoping the French kick him out on his arse next year.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Incredibly, the votes in Maricopa County, Ariz. are still being reviewed!!!

Apparently, the latest includes the ballots being examined for bamboo fibers - "a nod to the conspiracy theory that fake ballots had been shipped over from Asia."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/24/opinion/arizona-results-trump-republicans.html

The Arizona Republicans are delaying the result to make their audit water tight from conspiracy theorists of all sides.

Another reason for the delay is that Maricopa's Election Board is defying subpoenas to release certain evidence to the audit.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    felix said:

Nigelb said:

Full PDF is here:

Golly - as time and the research continues AZT looks better and better - especially remembering the price and ease of administration. I wonder if Macron is ready to change his view as to its quasi-effectiveness. We were told he keeps up with all the research......
    Quite a few caveats about over interpreting the data, though, as vaccines were not all administered at the same time, and it was in no way a fully controlled trial.

Still, real world, the vaccine seems pretty decent.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    What does he know...

Shops could see Christmas food shortages over driver issues, Tesco chairman warns.
    https://news.stv.tv/scotland/shops-could-see-christmas-food-shortages-tesco-warns
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited August 2021

Don't judge me but I have £156 in Dogecoin with Binance. Obviously that is an amount I could afford to lose.

But the question is, should I be transferring it before I risk not being able to sell or get money *from* Binance (HSBC have banned transfers *to* them).

Get the fuck off of Binance as soon as possible.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359
    MattW said:

Some stress on the system reappearing from COVID cases and in ITU. 'Depressing'.

The 'exit wave' was expected though, wasn't it?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

What does he know...

Shops could see Christmas food shortages over driver issues, Tesco chairman warns.
    https://news.stv.tv/scotland/shops-could-see-christmas-food-shortages-tesco-warns

Our halal butcher is struggling to source chickens.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Don't judge me but I have £156 in Dogecoin with Binance. Obviously that is an amount I could afford to lose.

But the question is, should I be transferring it before I risk not being able to sell or get money *from* Binance (HSBC have banned transfers *to* them).

Get the fuck off of Binance as soon as possible.
    Yeah pretty much every UK bank is/soon will be blocking transfers from Binance.

Get out as quickly as possible*.

I think Monzo and Revolut might be the only options soon and I cannot them doing that for much longer.

*Note this is not to be construed as financial or investment advice.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Our halal butcher is struggling to source chickens.

PB says he's wrong
    My parents have been shopping with the family for nearly fifty years, this will be the first time they won't fulfill an order.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

England are shaping up to be all out for 78

Wow, how often do Test sides end up on exactly the same score as their opponents after the first innings?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    TimT said:

MattW said:

The wife's 50-bed hospital* is back up to 10 COVID patients (having been as high as 80 and as low as low single digits)

* in small town Pennsylvania
    U.S. COVID update: Number in ICU at highest level since pandemic began
    https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1430374164674879491

Though there are signs that number of new infections might have peaked ?
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited August 2021
    I know we've forgotten about COVID but things are not looking rosy in Scotland
  • Options
    It will ne amazing to see England score only 57 runs from here but there we are, the sage has spoken.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

England are shaping up to be all out for 78

Wow, how often do Test sides end up on exactly the same score as their opponents after the first innings?
    Eight

https://www.cricketcountry.com/articles/identical-first-inning-totals-for-both-teams-in-a-test-292372
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Unpleasant in the SW too......
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,747
    Tattoos and piercings are just direction signs, on the long road to suicide
  • Options

Scotland and the SW the arse ends of Britain.

(I'm joking, I love them both.)

Anyone up for having a PB meet on the Penzance to Aberdeen train?

14 hour train journey for us to discuss things like AV and Scottish independence?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

What does he know...

Keep hoping scotty! Keep hoping...
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116
    edited August 2021
    felix said:

Nigelb said:

Full PDF is here:

Does your autocorrect turn AZ into AZT? Weird.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    Leon said:

I dislike both of them, but if people choose to have them it's their decision of course. The only problem is when tattoos inevitably go out of fashion in a few years' time they'll expect the rest of us to pay for their removal on the NHS. The same thing happened with breast implants.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776
    Leon said:

I don't particularly like them, but that is a particularly obnoxious post.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

What does he know...

You will never stop will you? Like the T1000 or whatever it was. Do you live in a constant rage, scouring the internet for negative things to post? I truly hope you have a happy life away from the web.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I think you write these posts because you live a very lonely life full of absolutely nothing. You don't have any real life friends and you get off by baiting people on the Internet.

Sad. Very sad.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894

Nigelb said:

Full PDF is here:

It sure does!
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited August 2021

They should appoint me to the FCA as head of Cryptocurrency regulation.

The UK financial regulator has conceded it is “not capable” of properly supervising Binance despite the “significant risk” posed by the cryptocurrency exchange’s products, which allow consumers to take supercharged bets.

In a supervisory notice two months after starting a crackdown on the exchange, the Financial Conduct Authority — one of the most influential financial watchdogs in the world — repeated its grave concerns over Binance’s governance and products.

But it added that Binance’s UK affiliate had “refused” to respond to some of its basic queries, leaving it with few avenues to oversee the sprawling group, which has no fixed headquarters yet offers its services around the world.

The statement underscores the scale of the challenge facing authorities in tackling potential risks to consumers buying often unregulated products through nimble cryptocurrency businesses, which can often circumvent national bans by giving users access to facilities based overseas.

“This is of particular concern in the context of the firm’s membership of a global group which offers complex and high-risk financial products, which pose a significant risk to consumers,” the FCA said in the notice published on its website. The company did not immediately comment on the notice.

The UK authority said one of Binance’s London-based affiliates, which is registered with the watchdog as an investment company, had supplied insufficient information on the broader group’s products offered in the UK, the global exchange’s business or wider products offered on Binance.com, which sits outside the FCA’s purview. That meant Cayman Islands-incorporated Binance “was not capable of being effectively supervised”, it said.

https://www.ft.com/content/17620a3b-b82d-4b85-aa85-4cf2793b7a02

The one that is concerning me is the number of crypto products now offering high interest rate savings (6-8%) accounts....they smell very much like a pyramid scheme / will only work as long as crypto continues to go up in value.
    It is a Ponzi scheme.
    I will just have to buy a cryptopunk NFT for $200k instead.....
    Last month I authored a report on NFTs.

It started off with several conventional money laundering real life examples.

Then I concluded with the observation that NFTs make that money laundering so much easier and legitimate.

I noted that the American legal authorities have observed that the people who are using NFTs a lot are America drug lords.

One them reportedly paid several million dollars for an obscure tweet NFT.
    And here I am writing obscure tweets every day for free. I'm just a sucker.
  • Options

14 hour train journey for us to discuss things like AV and Scottish independence?
    England cases down on last wednesday. (28648 to 27,350).
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894

Scott_xP said:

What does he know...

You will never stop will you? Like the T1000 or whatever it was. Do you live in a constant rage, scouring the internet for negative things to post? I truly hope you have a happy life away from the web.
    Highly unlikely I’d say
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905

Yep... does look like schools really are a big driver of new cases.

We should at the very least be doing everything we can to make them safer whilst open.
    Better ventilation, masks, outdoor learning etc.

These are all pretty low cost interventions to be honest, which could have a very big payoff.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    Boris Johnson personally overruled Ben Wallace to allow Pen Farthing's animals to leave Kabul on a charter plane, friends say

Friend of Farthing Dominic Dyer told Mail Plus: "Mr Johnson's wife Carrie 'most certainly had something to do with the change'"

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1430528636180963329?s=20
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

We should at the very least be doing everything we can to make them safer whilst open.

These are all pretty low cost interventions to be honest, which could have a very big payoff.
    Hang on, I was told it wasn't schools last week...
    Really, really need to see what a 'case' is. How many are being picked up as asymptomatic? Must be a major component, or why weren't these cases picked up a week ago?
  • Options
    Canadian polling:

Conservatives ahead in 3 of the 5 most recent surveys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2021_Canadian_federal_election#Campaign_period
  • Options
    Every major regional paper has published some version of “labour shortage!” complete with a restaurant owner quote along the line of “we might have to increase wages”.

https://twitter.com/DuncanWeldon/status/1430550386746826759?s=20
  • Options
    What does NFT stand for?
  • Options
    Quincel said:

They should appoint me to the FCA as head of Cryptocurrency regulation.

The UK financial regulator has conceded it is “not capable” of properly supervising Binance despite the “significant risk” posed by the cryptocurrency exchange’s products, which allow consumers to take supercharged bets.

In a supervisory notice two months after starting a crackdown on the exchange, the Financial Conduct Authority — one of the most influential financial watchdogs in the world — repeated its grave concerns over Binance’s governance and products.

But it added that Binance’s UK affiliate had “refused” to respond to some of its basic queries, leaving it with few avenues to oversee the sprawling group, which has no fixed headquarters yet offers its services around the world.

The statement underscores the scale of the challenge facing authorities in tackling potential risks to consumers buying often unregulated products through nimble cryptocurrency businesses, which can often circumvent national bans by giving users access to facilities based overseas.

“This is of particular concern in the context of the firm’s membership of a global group which offers complex and high-risk financial products, which pose a significant risk to consumers,” the FCA said in the notice published on its website. The company did not immediately comment on the notice.

The UK authority said one of Binance’s London-based affiliates, which is registered with the watchdog as an investment company, had supplied insufficient information on the broader group’s products offered in the UK, the global exchange’s business or wider products offered on Binance.com, which sits outside the FCA’s purview. That meant Cayman Islands-incorporated Binance “was not capable of being effectively supervised”, it said.

https://www.ft.com/content/17620a3b-b82d-4b85-aa85-4cf2793b7a02

The one that is concerning me is the number of crypto products now offering high interest rate savings (6-8%) accounts....they smell very much like a pyramid scheme / will only work as long as crypto continues to go up in value.
    It is a Ponzi scheme.
    I will just have to buy a cryptopunk NFT for $200k instead.....
    Last month I authored a report on NFTs.

It started off with several conventional money laundering real life examples.

Then I concluded with the observation that NFTs make that money laundering so much easier and legitimate.

I noted that the American legal authorities have observed that the people who are using NFTs a lot are America drug lords.

One them reportedly paid several million dollars for an obscure tweet NFT.
    And here I am writing obscure tweets every day for free. I'm just a sucker.
    If you're a sucker then get yourself onto OnlyFans and you'll be raking it in.

Oh wait, not that kind of sucker.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

What does NFT stand for?

Non-fungible token.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

wouldn't be time for both surely?
  • Options

Leon said:

I think you write these posts because you live a very lonely life full of absolutely nothing. You don't have any real life friends and you get off by baiting people on the Internet.

Sad. Very sad.
    That is maybe the most surreally amusing response to a comment I've ever received. Thankyou. And well done
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    theProle said:

We could charter a rake of stock hauled by some 37s? If so, all the PB rail nerds will be in...
    Add a proper restaurant car ...
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited August 2021
    Andy_JS said:

What does NFT stand for?

Non-Fungible Token

Non-Fungible meaning that they cannot be changed or merged/split, each token has the same unique properties for all time. Unlike, for example, money. If you deposit £10 into a bank account of £100, and then withdraw £10 from it later do you have the same £10 you deposited or a different £10? There's no way to say, because money is (intentionally) fungible.

NFTs aren't, so that there is a form of (artificial) scarcity. If I make 10 NFTs of my best PoliticalBetting column (Lessons from the Veepstakes, I reckon, or possibly Fighting the Last War) and sell them to my fans* then there will only ever be a single #1 Edition NFT, a single #2 Edition NFT, and so on.

*(Each of whom could have 5 to themselves)
  • Options

One topic each way.

What, you want to get off? In Scotland?
  • Options
    Over 5,000 new cases were reported in Scotland today, for the first time ever

Although we did also conduct our most ever tests in a day, and the positivity rate is lower than it was yesterday.

https://twitter.com/TravellingTabby/status/1430532685731074048?s=20
  • Options

True, we'd need to make it a return journey trip.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Leon said:

I don't particularly like them, but that is a particularly obnoxious post.
    No it's not obnoxious, it is true. They are forms of self harm. There is a statistical relationship between an above average number of tatts and piercings, and suicide

"In a large sample of individuals who belong to a website for body modification, having body modifications (e.g., piercings, tattoos, scarification and surgical procedures) was associated with a higher incidence of prior suicidality (i.e., suicidal ideation and attempted suicide)"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16572532/

"College Women With At Least Four Tattoos Have Higher Self-Esteem But Increased Risk For Suicide"

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/109891/20151124/college-women-with-at-least-four-tattoos-have-higher-self-esteem-but-increased-risk-for-suicide.htm
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    edited August 2021
    I spy a week on week fall in cases for England. London specifically has seen falling cases for at least 5 days now. We have a window of opportunity over the next 6-8 weeks to ramp up a third dose programme for all of groups 1-6 and then groups 7-12 in November and early December.

The Israeli data looks bloody brilliant as it pushes infection *prevention* even against Delta back up above 90% even among older people. If we have a 35m booster shot programme which covers groups 1-12 we could well hit herd immunity just before Christmas judging on the data coming from Israel. That's how potent it is.

Anyone who has contact with the Saj should advise him to overrule the JCVI and have the booster programme recommend everyone in groups 1-6 in September and October and then 7-12 optionally in November and December in the run up to Christmas. The JCVI seems to have been overrun with timid fools.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    Leon said:

Wouldn't dream of having a tatt, but what a peculiar and tasteless comment to make.

As offensive as your regular autism commentaries that offend me so much.
  • Options
    Germany is paying the Taliban €100M to keep the airport open after Aug 31st.

"Once you pay Danegeld, you will never be rid of the Dane"

The mistakes of 2015 continue...

https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/status/1430555824250892292?s=20
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522
    Just watched Raab interviewed about his holibobs on Sky. He said: "The sea was actually closed". How does that work? It reminded me that during lockdown last year our local marina authority stuck a notice on every bench saying: "This bench is closed".
  • Options

Leon said:

Wouldn't dream of having a tatt, but what a peculiar and tasteless comment to make.

As I have just shown below, I am simply stating a scientific truth, but in a concise way
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Cummings was right about Carrie.

wtf does she think she’s doing?
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

rkrkrk said:

Really, really need to see what a 'case' is. How many are being picked up as asymptomatic? Must be a major component, or why weren't these cases picked up a week ago?
    It's also worth considering that 99% of kids are going to get it sooner or later. Unless the kids drive another huge wave of infections in the community, lots of them all getting it isn't that big a problem.

The ONS antibodies data doesn't cover under 16s, so it's difficult to be sure what level of immunity kids already have, but it's quite likely to be a substantial proportion - I wouldn't be shocked if its reached 50% with antibodies by now.
    One can hazard a bit of a guess from the 16-25 age group, which had a substantially higher proportion with antibodies than had been vaccinated (although obviously as the vaccination program continues, the gap is reducing).
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

As I have just shown below, I am simply stating a scientific truth, but in a concise way
    In what way is this a commentary on the Redfield and Wilton poll being an outlier?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,050
    Andy_JS said:

Canadian polling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2021_Canadian_federal_election#Campaign_period

I wonder if he will win the she-lection.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Leon said:

Leon said:

In what way is this a commentary on the Redfield and Wilton poll being an outlier?
    Quite right, this must be the first time ever we've gone off topic below the line.

;)
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

I was unaware of the PB law that says every comment must be on-topic, and refer to the subject of the header. If this law exists, it must be the most ignored law on the internet

I made that comment because I was interested to see how people would react to a little-known but uncomfortable truth. A kind of intelligence test, I guess. I now have my answer
  • Options
    Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Canadian polling:

I keep seeing these 'she' references about Trudeau - was [s]he having a 'blonde moment'? If so marginally that when he blacked up that time? All a little bit weird>
  • Options

Just watched Raab interviewed about his holibobs on Sky. He said: "The sea was actually closed". How does that work? It reminded me that during lockdown last year our local marina authority stuck a notice on every bench saying: "This bench is closed".

Fabulous thread on other times when the sea was closed #Raab https://twitter.com/hugorifkind/status/1430483128594874374
  • Options
    Wait until Carrie gets involved:

The government is set to refuse Fifa’s request to grant exemptions for Premier League players wanting to travel to red list countries to play for their national team during the international break.

Fifa president Gianni Infantino has contacted Prime Minister Boris Johnson appealing for him to issue special exemptions for nearly 60 players who have been told by their clubs they will not be released for international duty.

All 20 Premier League clubs held an emergency meeting on Tuesday and agreed to block the release of players to red list countries, due to the requirement to quarantine for 10 days on their return, causing a major row between the league and the world governing body.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/government-fifa-premier-league-quarantine-exemptions-international-break-1167773
  • Options
    ping said:

What has she done now?
  • Options

Do you live in a constant rage, scouring the internet for negative things to post?

Calm down dear.

Sadly for the Brexit faithful it takes zero effort to find stories about how shit it is.

I sat down at my computer for a moment, and that Tweet was at the top of my timeline.

Maybe I just got lucky.

Or maybe, despite your best efforts, the stories about Brexit problems are frequent, relentless, and increasing.

Maybe you would see them too if you took your head out of your ass?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Canadian polling:

I wonder if this will turn out to have been a big error on Trudeau's part.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522
    edited August 2021

ping said:

What has she done now?
    She's offered to do a hostage exchange. Carrie says the Taliban can have Dilyn in exchange for Pen Farthing's entire stock of dogs. Boris is reportedly in favour.
  • Options
    One of the greatest false prophecies in the history of modern Britain.

"Five years from now Britain will be flourishing as never before and people will look back and wonder why we didn't do this long before” - Daniel Hannan on Brexit in 2016.

https://twitter.com/brexit_sham/status/1430119648901672973/video/1
  • Options
    UK retailers report lowest level of stock *since 1983* – today's @NewStatesman Chart of the Day on Britain's supply chain crisis. https://www.newstatesman.com/business/2021/08/uk-retailers-report-lowest-level-stock-1983 https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1430500824728354822/photo/1
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    Scott_xP said:

"Five years from now Britain will be flourishing as never before and people will look back and wonder why we didn't do this long before” - Daniel Hannan on Brexit in 2016.

I notice the criticism is of vacancies and not unemployment.

Would it be better if we have no vacancies and mass unemployment?
  • Options
    ping said:

If it is Carrie (and to be fair, we don't know that in this case), exactly what Dom did for a while.

Fill the empty void where Boris Johnson's ideas should be.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Quite right, this must be the first time ever we've gone off topic below the line.

;)
    Hardly anyone ever stays on topic (I have the off-topic points to prove my own guilt) but there is one poster who craftily hijacks the agenda with some completely tangential posts and on a regular basis.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Scott_xP said:

What does he know...

Scotty is out there. He can't be reasoned with, he can't be bargained with. He doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear and he absolutely will not stop.

Very apt.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Canadian polling:

He might get she-called by the public.
  • Options
    Off topic… but may I thank whoever it was a few days ago who recommended The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East by Robert Fisk… just a few chapters in and overwhelmed by the sheer brutality of life in Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran as regimes have changed over the past decades… puts current events into context and lays bare the involvement of US, British and Russian intelligence services in facilitating some of the worst leaders to attain and stay in power… none of which is to absolve the barbarity of the local actors…
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

What does NFT stand for?

Non-fungible token.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    50 run opening partnership. Encouraging.
  • Options

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

;)
    Hardly anyone ever stays on topic (I have the off-topic points to prove my own guilt) but there is one poster who craftily hijacks the agenda with some completely tangential posts and on a regular basis.
    I can't help being interesting, sorry

Also, what I have just pointed out is actually valuable information. If you have a friend, child, cousin, acquaintance who is getting a lot of tatts and/or piercings, be just a little bit concerned. It is a potential marker for something bad down the line
  • Options

England cases down on last wednesday. (28648 to 27,350).
    That's big (the fact that it's smaller). Especially given the surge in the South West.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Sonntagsfrage zur Bundestagswahl • Trend Research / Radio Hamburg: CDU/CSU 23 % | SPD 21 % | GRÜNE 17 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 12 % | DIE LINKE 7 % | Sonstige 8 %

No changes because first poll this parlaiment form this pollster.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I think you've done it Scott. I think this, your 56,298th repetitive and relentless retweet on the subject of Brexit, has persuaded me that Brexit is a disaster. All that work you did over 5 years was not in vain.

Now you can rest, your mission accomplished
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I was unaware of the PB law that says every comment must be on-topic, and refer to the subject of the header. If this law exists, it must be the most ignored law on the internet

I made that comment because I was interested to see how people would react to a little-known but uncomfortable truth. A kind of intelligence test, I guess. I now have my answer
    No, but most of realise that it is only sporting to give the topic a go at least now and again….
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

What does NFT stand for?

Not a Fucking Thing.

Which is apt because that is what you get when you buy one.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,625
    Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

;)

Also, what I have just pointed out is actually valuable information. If you have a friend, child, cousin, acquaintance who is getting a lot of tatts and/or piercings, be just a little bit concerned. It is a potential marker for something bad down the line
    Any valuable information on what to do if we see them falling into a path of narcissism, alcoholism, drug use and fantasy double lives?
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

;)

Rather depends, doesn’t it?

I find inks of husbands/wives/children’s names a lovely thing to do. A signal of commitment, if anything.
  • Options

Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

;)

Any valuable information on what to do if we see them falling into a path of narcissism, alcoholism, drug use and fantasy double lives?
    Send money?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Scott_xP said:

Do you live in a constant rage, scouring the internet for negative things to post?

Calm down dear.

Sadly for the Brexit faithful it takes zero effort to find stories about how shit it is.

I sat down at my computer for a moment, and that Tweet was at the top of my timeline.

Maybe I just got lucky.

Or maybe, despite your best efforts, the stories about Brexit problems are frequent, relentless, and increasing.

We don't obsess over trivia.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,625
    ping said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

;)

I find inks of husbands/wives/children’s names a lovely thing to do. A signal of commitment, if anything.
    Perhaps with children, with husbands and wives it is more a signal of poor long term understanding of odds!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

I think you've done it Scott. I think this, your 56,298th repetitive and relentless retweet on the subject of Brexit, has persuaded me that Brexit is a disaster. All that work you did over 5 years was not in vain.

Now you can rest, your mission accomplished
    I am not sure that you are getting this relentless thing.
  • Options
    There's now a definite upward trend to Scotland's healthcare numbers.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    theProle said:

rkrkrk said:

It's also worth considering that 99% of kids are going to get it sooner or later. Unless the kids drive another huge wave of infections in the community, lots of them all getting it isn't that big a problem.

The ONS antibodies data doesn't cover under 16s, so it's difficult to be sure what level of immunity kids already have, but it's quite likely to be a substantial proportion - I wouldn't be shocked if its reached 50% with antibodies by now.
    One can hazard a bit of a guess from the 16-25 age group, which had a substantially higher proportion with antibodies than had been vaccinated (although obviously as the vaccination program continues, the gap is reducing).
    50% seems high - the number of adults with infection acquired antibodies across the UK is only in the low-20s, so I'd be surprised if it was much more than 30%.
  • Options
    Makes you so proud....

From TMS: "There are four people, dressed as seagulls, running around the stand, chasing someone dressed as chips. They all leap on him at the end. Only at the cricket, and only in England".
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    What a prince of a guy.

• Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    Scott_xP said:

I'm not entirely sure that it's fair to call him out for not predicting a global pandemic.
    Arguably he should have forseen that we have only just actually left, because the remainers spent 4 years trying to overturn the result, but as he's a democrat, he probably thought better of them than that.

That said - my sector is currently in an economic boom the size of which I've never seen before. Brexit has imposed some costs, but nothing noticeable.
    I genuinely don't think I know of a single Brexit downside in my personal life.
    So other than Covid (which is nothing to do with Brexit), for me I'm pretty much saying he's right. It hasn't caused all the disasters predicted, and already we are seeing little wins where the government is removing stupid rules which were mostly about harmonisation with the EU (eg they are consulting on streamlining the driving test process for HGVs so you don't need to take a test in a rigid, then another in an artic, you just do you artic test).
  • Options

Sonntagsfrage zur Bundestagswahl • Trend Research / Radio Hamburg: CDU/CSU 23 % | SPD 21 % | GRÜNE 17 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 12 % | DIE LINKE 7 % | Sonstige 8 %

No changes because first poll this parlaiment form this pollster.

Always nice to have a new pollster, whichever country it is.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    edited August 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Calm down dear.

Maybe I just got lucky.

As an experiment, try creating a second Twitter account and only following people outside your bubble. You might get a different perspective.
  • Options
    ping said:

Leon said:

RobD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

;)

Indeed. One or two tatts can be lovely. Also sexy, if done well, in the right place

However there is scientific evidence of a threshold where persistent tattooing indicates deeper psychological disturbance. It seems to be around four or five tattoos (or piercings) - once you go above that: warning signs flash

What got me interested in this recently is that I've been watching Anthony Bourdain, that genius writer/TV presenter

In the final seasons of his show he gets more and more tattoos. And of course, tragically, he committed suicide during the filming of the 12th season of Parts Unknown

The tatts were a red light, there
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,050
    Sean_F said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Canadian polling:

felix said:

Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

Canadian polling:

I keep seeing these 'she' references about Trudeau - was [s]he having a 'blonde moment'? If so marginally that when he blacked up that time? All a little bit weird>
    He’s a bit of a tit really https://youtu.be/Q56dTN-Uhbk
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382

Leon said:

Sad. Very sad.
    Anagram of "Lone". :smile:

• Options
    Alistair said:

There's now a definite upward trend to Scotland's healthcare numbers.

There is. Its troubling, especially with the schools having gone back last week. I don't think that we have any real choices though. We now need to rely on the vaccines and get on with life, even if (across the UK) deaths are now exceeding 150 a day. How high do we think that we can just bear this before real pressure comes to take more defensive action again? The days when deaths were in single figures seem a long way off. Its disappointing.
This discussion has been closed.