Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The latest Redfield poll looks like an outlier – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    edited August 2021
    IanB2 said:

felix said:

isam said:

Good Lord

The lowest poll lead is treated as a resource to analyse Boris’s ratings, the second highest is dismissed as an outlier

The current poll leads are 3%, 7%, 8%, 10, & 11%…. So the average is 8%…& the 10% is the outlier?

How can a poll that’s not even the extreme of the range be an outlier?

The 'old' definition of an outlier was the 'one you don't like'. Still seems to apply.....
    Just a shame that the actual elections generally turn out to be outliers, as well.
    Compared to polling....

Lab/Tory absolute error _/_ Who outperformed _/_ Sum Errors squared
    2019 1.92% _/_ Tories _/_ 5.01
    2017 -4.25% _/_ Labour _/_ 28.96
    2015 6.04% _/_ Tories _/_ 22.66
    2010 0.48% _/_ Tories _/_ 20.03
    2005 -4.48% _/_ Labour _/_ 15.54
    2001 8.60% _/_ Tories _/_ 59.11
    1997 6.64% _/_ Tories _/_ 54.05
    1992 9.37% _/_ Labour _/_ 46.02
  • Options
    67 v 8
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,964
    Charles said:

Charles said:

kjh said:

So who wants a discussion about Grammar schools then?

Ducks!

Would make me grouse
    I'd just snipe....
    I’m not going to be able to compete with a twitcher so I’m going to swan off
    This isn’t a pheasant conversation.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,938
    edited August 2021

kjh said:

So who wants a discussion about Grammar schools then?

Ducks!

Any discussions about grammar schools need to mention Mrs Thatcher's brilliant role in reducing the number of grammar schools.

One of her many fine achievements.
    There were actually more grammar schools at the end of the Thatcher and Major years in 1997 then when Thatcher first came into office as PM in 1979.

Though of course the divide is political, while 45% of Tory voters want to build and open new grammars, compared to only 25% who want to retain existing ones and not open new ones and just 16% who want to end grammars and open them to children of all abilities with Labour voters the opposite is true.

35% of Labour voters want to stop grammars selecting by academic ability and open them to children of all abilities, 22% want to retain existing grammars but not open any more and only 16% want to build new grammar schools.
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/education/trackers/how-the-government-should-handle-grammar-school-selection?crossBreak=conservative

The same divide applies to free schools. 35% of Tory voters want to open new free schools to 20% who want to keep existing ones and not open any more and just 13% want existing free schools to be brought back under local council control.

By contrast 41% of Labour voters want to bring free schools back under local council control, 22% want to keep existing free schools but not open any more and only 17% want the government to support the opening of more free schools
    http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/bqg3va7cqy/TimesRedBoxResults_150309_free_schools.pdf
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Nigelb said:

Former US ambassador to NATO.
    https://twitter.com/IvoHDaalder/status/1430296067225133060
    While Biden owns the consequence of his decision, which are now playing out, his critics should own up to the fact that the real alternative would have been a major escalation of a war that most Americans had long come to oppose....

I think there was another alternative of a slightly better organised extraction.
  • Options
    67 v 9 review
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    67-9!!! subject to review....

4 wickets in 6 balls
  • Options
    67 v 9 out
  • Options
    China’s President Xi Jinping has talked on the phone to Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin. The two leaders reportedly “had an in-depth exchange of views on the situation in Afghanistan”.

According to state media, Mr Xi “emphasised that China respects Afghanistan’s "sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity,” and said that China is “pursuing a policy of non-interference in Afghan internal affairs”.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Pulpstar said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

isam said:

Good Lord

The lowest poll lead is treated as a resource to analyse Boris’s ratings, the second highest is dismissed as an outlier

The current poll leads are 3%, 7%, 8%, 10, & 11%…. So the average is 8%…& the 10% is the outlier?

How can a poll that’s not even the extreme of the range be an outlier?

The 'old' definition of an outlier was the 'one you don't like'. Still seems to apply.....
    Just a shame that the actual elections generally turn out to be outliers, as well.
    Compared to polling....

Lab/Tory absolute error _/_ Who outperformed _/_ Sum Errors squared
    2019 1.92% _/_ Tories _/_ 5.01
    2017 -4.25% _/_ Labour _/_ 28.96
    2015 6.04% _/_ Tories _/_ 22.66
    2010 0.48% _/_ Tories _/_ 20.03
    2005 -4.48% _/_ Labour _/_ 15.54
    2001 8.60% _/_ Tories _/_ 59.11
    1997 6.64% _/_ Tories _/_ 54.05
    1992 9.37% _/_ Labour _/_ 46.02
    Noone really goes on about the polling disaster that was 2001 with the massive overstatement of Labour's share though do they ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,125
    What is going on with this pitch?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,349
    edited August 2021

Nigelb said:

Former US ambassador to NATO.
    https://twitter.com/IvoHDaalder/status/1430296067225133060
    While Biden owns the consequence of his decision, which are now playing out, his critics should own up to the fact that the real alternative would have been a major escalation of a war that most Americans had long come to oppose....

I think there was another alternative of a slightly better organised extraction.
    Indeed - but a very large portion of the criticism has conflated the two issues of the decision to pull out, and the execution of the decision.
    As the comment makes clear, "Biden owns the consequences of his decision".
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Quincel said:

Finally some data to follow the anecdotes on empty shelves (or lack thereof). Apparently there genuinely are unprecedented supply chain issues in the UK right now. As for why that is: Feel free to argue amongst yourselves, and remember a mix of a few things is more common than a single simple explanation.

I detect a persistent lingering smell.
    It's almost as if a significant part of our retail and distribution economy had been closed for a substantial period of time and now needs to restock as they open up again. Weird. What on earth could have caused that?

In all seriousness that desperate need to restock is probably what is driving the very acute shortage of drivers.
    What desperate need to restock? When did "a significant part of our retail and distribution economy" shut down?

I've already set out what is going on. A shortage of ingredients and packaging reducing the ability of manufacturers to physically make stock. A shortage of labour to produce stock even if they have ingredients and packaging. A shortage of drivers and vehicles to transport stock. A shortage of workers generally if pinged / Covid positive.
    Many of our shops have been shut for months. Many smaller businesses have not been operating. Their stock will presumably be at zero until they open up again. You are looking at it from the perspective of supermarkets but there is a lot more to retail than that.
    I'm looking at this in terms of "retail" as defined on the chart. There are very very few retail outlets who have recently reopened for the first and only time since the start of the pandemic - if they shut its because they have gone bust or the chain has pulled the plug (e.g. John Lewis store closures).

Either way it does not remotely drive the collapse in stock as shown by that chart. You appear to be making "anything but Brexit" arguments for what is going on - surely not a man of your intelligence? Brexit is front and centre, as is Covid, with a side portion of the gulf stream not bothering this year screwing up harvests.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Don't complain!!! :D
  • Options
    I was going to ask how many times in test history have there been consecutive double wicket maidens, but Siraj has just spoiled it.
  • Options

China’s President Xi Jinping has talked on the phone to Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin. The two leaders reportedly “had an in-depth exchange of views on the situation in Afghanistan”.

According to state media, Mr Xi “emphasised that China respects Afghanistan’s "sovereignty, independence and territorial integrity,” and said that China is “pursuing a policy of non-interference in Afghan internal affairs”.

did they also laugh a lot?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I blame Brexit......
  • Options

67 v 9 out

Yet another England batting collapse :lol:
  • Options

DavidL said:

Don't complain!!! :D
    Pitch perfect.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I blame Brexit......
    No, that only applies when England collapse.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Quincel said:

Finally some data to follow the anecdotes on empty shelves (or lack thereof). Apparently there genuinely are unprecedented supply chain issues in the UK right now. As for why that is: Feel free to argue amongst yourselves, and remember a mix of a few things is more common than a single simple explanation.

It's almost as if a significant part of our retail and distribution economy had been closed for a substantial period of time and now needs to restock as they open up again. Weird. What on earth could have caused that?

In all seriousness that desperate need to restock is probably what is driving the very acute shortage of drivers.
    What desperate need to restock? When did "a significant part of our retail and distribution economy" shut down?

I've already set out what is going on. A shortage of ingredients and packaging reducing the ability of manufacturers to physically make stock. A shortage of labour to produce stock even if they have ingredients and packaging. A shortage of drivers and vehicles to transport stock. A shortage of workers generally if pinged / Covid positive.
    Many of our shops have been shut for months. Many smaller businesses have not been operating. Their stock will presumably be at zero until they open up again. You are looking at it from the perspective of supermarkets but there is a lot more to retail than that.
    I'm looking at this in terms of "retail" as defined on the chart. There are very very few retail outlets who have recently reopened for the first and only time since the start of the pandemic - if they shut its because they have gone bust or the chain has pulled the plug (e.g. John Lewis store closures).

Either way it does not remotely drive the collapse in stock as shown by that chart. You appear to be making "anything but Brexit" arguments for what is going on - surely not a man of your intelligence? Brexit is front and centre, as is Covid, with a side portion of the gulf stream not bothering this year screwing up harvests.
    I am not saying anything but Brexit. I am simply noting that the chart highlights historically low levels of stock. A lot of shops have been shut and some of those as you say will not open again. The picture is distorted but we will have very strong demand which will aggravate the shortage of drivers in the supply chain (which I fully accept has been aggravated by Brexit as well as other factors such as the lack of testing over the last 18 months).

I expect the next quarter to show pretty much record imports as retail tries to recover. Hopefully there will be some exports too.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Nigelb said:

Quincel said:

What do the numbers mean?
  • Options
    India all out for 78
  • Options

67 v 9 out

Yet another England batting collapse :lol:
    ...about to commence!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Quincel said:

It means India are all out.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116
    DavidL said:

Not much. Should be a 250 first innings, but who'd bet against an England collapse too?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Quincel said:

I am not saying anything but Brexit. I am simply noting that the chart highlights historically low levels of stock. A lot of shops have been shut and some of those as you say will not open again. The picture is distorted but we will have very strong demand which will aggravate the shortage of drivers in the supply chain (which I fully accept has been aggravated by Brexit as well as other factors such as the lack of testing over the last 18 months).

I expect the next quarter to show pretty much record imports as retail tries to recover. Hopefully there will be some exports too.
    The historically low levels of stock is *now*. Retailers and distributors haven't recently reopened, so there is no restocking as you describe.
  • Options
    Hospitals in Switzerland could be overrun by a rising number of serious cases within weeks, the federal government has warned.
  • Options
    England all out for 78?

78?

:lol:

:lol:
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,330
    Hameed century?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Quincel said:

The seventh-lowest total in Test history after choosing to bat first,
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    edited August 2021

DavidL said:

Not much. Should be a 250 first innings, but who'd bet against an England collapse too?
    India could well be facing a few tricky overs before the close...
  • Options
    They should appoint me to the FCA as head of Cryptocurrency regulation.

The UK financial regulator has conceded it is “not capable” of properly supervising Binance despite the “significant risk” posed by the cryptocurrency exchange’s products, which allow consumers to take supercharged bets.

In a supervisory notice two months after starting a crackdown on the exchange, the Financial Conduct Authority — one of the most influential financial watchdogs in the world — repeated its grave concerns over Binance’s governance and products.

But it added that Binance’s UK affiliate had “refused” to respond to some of its basic queries, leaving it with few avenues to oversee the sprawling group, which has no fixed headquarters yet offers its services around the world.

The statement underscores the scale of the challenge facing authorities in tackling potential risks to consumers buying often unregulated products through nimble cryptocurrency businesses, which can often circumvent national bans by giving users access to facilities based overseas.

“This is of particular concern in the context of the firm’s membership of a global group which offers complex and high-risk financial products, which pose a significant risk to consumers,” the FCA said in the notice published on its website. The company did not immediately comment on the notice.

The UK authority said one of Binance’s London-based affiliates, which is registered with the watchdog as an investment company, had supplied insufficient information on the broader group’s products offered in the UK, the global exchange’s business or wider products offered on Binance.com, which sits outside the FCA’s purview. That meant Cayman Islands-incorporated Binance “was not capable of being effectively supervised”, it said.

https://www.ft.com/content/17620a3b-b82d-4b85-aa85-4cf2793b7a02
  • Options

DavidL said:

Hopefully India won't collapse as fast as the Afghan Govt England did just now :lol:
  • Options
    I know I'm being wildly optimistic here in assuming an England lead but how many wickets down do we think England will be when they reach 79 runs.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited August 2021
    Look at that question. Look at the response.
    Morning Consult/Politico poll today:

Do you believe the U.S. should still withdraw its military presence in Afghanistan if it means it creates an opening for Al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups to establish operations in Afghanistan?

45% — still withdraw
    40% — don’t withdraw

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1430474481496170502?s=19
  • Options
    I felt incredibly sad reading this interview.

‘My son says to me: “How come no club wants you?” How do I explain that to him?’ – Jack Wilshere on his struggles, Arsenal and his future

.....Wilshere recalls the day when Archie came home from school upset after another pupil referred to his dad as “Jack Wheelchair”. Wilshere confronted the boy’s father about the incident, not because he was personally hurt but due to the impact it had on his son.

https://theathletic.com/2787009/2021/08/25/my-son-says-to-me-how-come-no-club-wants-you-how-do-i-explain-that-to-him-jack-wilshere-on-his-struggles-arsenal-and-his-future/
  • Options

I know I'm being wildly optimistic here in assuming an England lead but how many wickets down do we think England will be when they reach 79 runs.

Hold on! Wasn't it just England wot collapsed just now??? :(
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2021

The UK financial regulator has conceded it is “not capable” of properly supervising Binance despite the “significant risk” posed by the cryptocurrency exchange’s products, which allow consumers to take supercharged bets.

In a supervisory notice two months after starting a crackdown on the exchange, the Financial Conduct Authority — one of the most influential financial watchdogs in the world — repeated its grave concerns over Binance’s governance and products.

But it added that Binance’s UK affiliate had “refused” to respond to some of its basic queries, leaving it with few avenues to oversee the sprawling group, which has no fixed headquarters yet offers its services around the world.

The statement underscores the scale of the challenge facing authorities in tackling potential risks to consumers buying often unregulated products through nimble cryptocurrency businesses, which can often circumvent national bans by giving users access to facilities based overseas.

“This is of particular concern in the context of the firm’s membership of a global group which offers complex and high-risk financial products, which pose a significant risk to consumers,” the FCA said in the notice published on its website. The company did not immediately comment on the notice.

The UK authority said one of Binance’s London-based affiliates, which is registered with the watchdog as an investment company, had supplied insufficient information on the broader group’s products offered in the UK, the global exchange’s business or wider products offered on Binance.com, which sits outside the FCA’s purview. That meant Cayman Islands-incorporated Binance “was not capable of being effectively supervised”, it said.

The one that is concerning me is the number of crypto products now offering high interest rate savings (6-8%) accounts....they smell very much like a pyramid scheme / will only work as long as crypto continues to go up in value.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Do you believe the U.S. should still withdraw its military presence in Afghanistan if it means it creates an opening for Al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups to establish operations in Afghanistan?

45% — still withdraw
    40% — don’t withdraw

I'm not sure what has shocked me more, the question of the response?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,111
    From Zero Covid in Scotland to…

“Prof. Devi Sridhar
    @devisridhar

I (personally) think, given vaccines, we need to move away from # of cases to disease severity (how ill are people who get COVID, how many end up in hospital, have they been fully vaccinated, how many experience 'Long Covid' & how long do symptoms last)”

Quite the road she’s taken
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Urquhart, what's the vaccination situation in Switzerland?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152

Perhaps not. A extreme Islamist Afghanistan that also may be become a hotbed of terrorist activity suits neither of them.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584

Alistair said:

45% — still withdraw
    40% — don’t withdraw

Because the quesiton is along the lines of "Should Rangers wear a blue strip?"?
  • Options

BBC News - OnlyFans suspends policy change after backlash
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58331722

Quite a U-turn.

I don’t know how they expected to make any money.
  • Options

The one that is concerning me is the number of crypto products now offering high interest rate savings (6-8%) accounts....they smell very much like a pyramid scheme / will only work as long as crypto continues to go up in value.
    It is a Ponzi scheme.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

“Prof. Devi Sridhar
    @devisridhar

I (personally) think, given vaccines, we need to move away from # of cases to disease severity (how ill are people who get COVID, how many end up in hospital, have they been fully vaccinated, how many experience 'Long Covid' & how long do symptoms last)”

More goalpost shifting.....
  • Options

Charles said:

CONFIRMED: Sharon Graham (
    @UniteSharon
    ) is the next General Secretary of Unite the union. Results:

Sharon Graham - 46,696
    Steve Turner - 41,833
    Gerard Coyne - 35,334

Looks like good news for Unite and the Labour party.

Sharon Graham was the most Anti SKS candidate wasn't she?

Apart from Beckett who withdrew.

Coyne was most pro SKS and he came last despite the backing of Murdoch and the usual suspects in the PLP.

I agree with you she is good news for UNITE members though
    I think it's good news for Labour because she's made it clear that her focus in on the core business of getting good deals for her members. So, for example, I don't expect her to start spouting off about her views on the situation in the Middle East, or to demand that Labour re-admit Corbyn or Loach, as her predecessor was inclined to do.
    Yes, rather agree. I didn't consider voting for Coyne as he is too closely associated with the internal feuding, and really we need to move on from that. Wouldn't have considered Beckett either for the same reason. Graham should be OK for us, unless there's some huge blowup over Labour staff, and with luck will be good for UNITE too. A female UNITE leader makes a nice change.
    Was Karie Murphy a nice change?
    Or Jennie Formby. The ex-General Secretary of a party who under her stewardship got called out as institutionally anti-semitic and what is her Twitter image? A clenched fist Free Palestine logo.

I have to be in favour of positive discrimination when it comes to such roles as without it the discrimination is always in favour of the bloke. But there has to be a competence bar for candidates...
    Jeez. Look at those voting figures. What's the turn out - like 10%?
  • Options

Alistair said:

45% — still withdraw
    40% — don’t withdraw

Later questions were more shocking:

If withdrawing from Afghanistan results in Biden having carnal relations with your wife whilst your dog is shot in front of you do you still suppprt the Withdrawl?

Support 52%
    Opppose 38%
  • Options
    The Bolton Boycott is being a bit too expansive for my liking.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Hopefully India won't collapse as fast as the Afghan Govt England did just now :lol:
    are you watching the same match?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

“Prof. Devi Sridhar
    @devisridhar

Scotland’s cases are rocketing and she’s close to the SNP.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

It is a Ponzi scheme.
    Ponzi schemes promise returns. See for reference 'National Insurance'.

Cryptos promise nothing.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

45% — still withdraw
    40% — don’t withdraw

Because the quesiton is along the lines of "Should Rangers wear a blue strip?"?
    Worse.

This is your regular reminder that we should be grateful for having the BPC.
  • Options

It is a Ponzi scheme.
    I will just have to buy a cryptopunk NFT for $200k instead.....
  • Options

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    49m
    Unite source says the anti-Len vote was bigger than expected, and McCluskey “split it by accidentally declaring war on Sharon”
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

45% — still withdraw
    40% — don’t withdraw

If withdrawing from Afghanistan results in Biden having carnal relations with your wife whilst your dog is shot in front of you do you still suppprt the Withdrawl?

Support 52%
    Opppose 38%
    You made that up! No way would as many as 38% oppose!
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

“Prof. Devi Sridhar
    @devisridhar

Intellectual growth. She's done well. Some of the others out there could learn a bit.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited August 2021

It is a Ponzi scheme.
    I will just have to buy a cryptopunk NFT for $200k instead.....
    Last month I authored a report on NFTs.

It started off with several conventional money laundering real life examples.

Then I concluded with the observation that NFTs make that money laundering so much easier and legitimate.

I noted that the American legal authorities have observed that the people who are using NFTs a lot are America drug lords.

One them reportedly paid several million dollars for an obscure tweet NFT.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,896

‘My son says to me: “How come no club wants you?” How do I explain that to him?’ – Jack Wilshere on his struggles, Arsenal and his future

.....Wilshere recalls the day when Archie came home from school upset after another pupil referred to his dad as “Jack Wheelchair”. Wilshere confronted the boy’s father about the incident, not because he was personally hurt but due to the impact it had on his son.

https://theathletic.com/2787009/2021/08/25/my-son-says-to-me-how-come-no-club-wants-you-how-do-i-explain-that-to-him-jack-wilshere-on-his-struggles-arsenal-and-his-future/

#metoo

Even in 17/18 he was sublime at times. If only he’d have been prepared to fight for his place under Unai.

Incredible to believe he can be on the scrap heap at 29. I’d be tempted to take him back at the Arsenal!
  • Options
    felix said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

45% — still withdraw
    40% — don’t withdraw

Support 52%
    Opppose 38%
    You made that up! No way would as many as 38% oppose!
    I admit i missed of the <humour> tags.

Sorry for anyone who thought i was serious.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    isam said:

#metoo

Even in 17/18 he was sublime at times. If only he’d have been prepared to fight for his place under Unai.

Incredible to believe he can be on the scrap heap at 29. I’d be tempted to take him back at the Arsenal!
    On Talksport they were claiming that the reason he can't get a club is he wants a long term contract.

If he was prepared to go pay for play, the clubs would be beating his door down, but most won't risk a contract because of his injury record...

• Options

DougSeal said:

“Prof. Devi Sridhar
    @devisridhar

Meanwhile over at iSAGE:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    1h
    High cases remain concerning because 10%-20% could end up with long Covid and allows potential for further mutation...
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Extras scored more than 20% of India's runs.
  • Options

I think Hameed owes England 79 runs, doesn't he?
  • Options
    isam said:

#metoo

Football is so competitive, it really doesn't take much to start slipping down the pyramid. There are countless examples of players going from the top to only being offered non-league in space of a few seasons. Injuires and / or not playing you are quickly miles off the pace, while there are 10s of new players ready to come in.

And with the increase in the use of the high tempo / high press approach, fitness is more important than ever....and especially with teams who can't afforr the super skillful players.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

Someone will take him on, pay as you play for a bottom half team. He'd get signed up immediately.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2021

DougSeal said:

“Prof. Devi Sridhar
    @devisridhar

Meanwhile over at iSAGE:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    1h
    High cases remain concerning because 10%-20% could end up with long Covid and allows potential for further mutation...
    20% now long covid....FFS...her definition is so dishonest....Tim Spector talks about it more like 5%, and he isn't exactly long covid doesn't exist type.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Don't judge me but I have £156 in Dogecoin with Binance. Obviously that is an amount I could afford to lose.

But the question is, should I be transferring it before I risk not being able to sell or get money *from* Binance (HSBC have banned transfers *to* them).

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,938
    edited August 2021
    Alistair said:

45% — still withdraw
    40% — don’t withdraw

Last poll it was only 35% still withdraw and the divide is partisan, only 32% of Republicans say still withdraw if Al Qaeda come back compared to 59% of Democrats.

Of course if 9/11 2 is launched again on a US city with a few thousand dead in an attack planned by Al Qaeda from Afghanistan those numbers would swiftly change back anyway
    https://morningconsult.com/2021/08/25/afghanistan-withdrawal-relocation-poll/
  • Options

I know.
    I'm experiencing a degree of cognitive dissonance, too.
  • Options

Don't judge me but I have £156 in Dogecoin with Binance. Obviously that is an amount I could afford to lose.

But the question is, should I be transferring it before I risk not being able to sell or get money *from* Binance (HSBC have banned transfers *to* them).

There will always a way you will be able to get it out, even if it requires conversion through over currencies. If it will be worth anything is a different matter.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

45% — still withdraw
    40% — don’t withdraw

Support 52%
    Opppose 38%
    That is a much more interesting question if you transpose Biden and your dog, or your wife and your dog.
  • Options
    Is this the Spartan approach to gene pool improvement? Put your babies on the hill overnight so that only the strong survive.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,776

I imagine it was like the scene in Austin Powers when Dr Evil laughs with all his evil buddies.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7edeOEuXdMU
  • Options
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

45% — still withdraw
    40% — don’t withdraw

Support 52%
    Opppose 38%
    That is a much more interesting question if you transpose Biden and your dog, or your wife and your dog.
    I hope you're talking theoretically and not personally.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902
    Francis

Zerocovidians like Pagel often class loss of smell or a headache for a week as Long Covid: that’s how they reach such a high number.
  • Options

I'm getting confused what with all this polling about dogs and Mr Biden.
  • Options

I imagine it was like the scene in Austin Powers when Dr Evil laughs with all his evil buddies.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7edeOEuXdMU
    "Because you're not quite evil enough! Well it's true! It's true! You're semi-evil! You're quasi-evil! You're the margarine of evil! You're the Diet Coke of evil! Just one calorie, not evil enough!"
  • Options
    Morbidity and mortality from COVID-19 post-vaccination breakthrough infections in association with vaccines and the emergence of variants in Bahrain

https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-828021/v1
    ...While “real world” experiences with various vaccines have been reported, few have examined comparative effectiveness of various vaccines in one population, as new SARS-CoV-2 variants have emerged. Here we present an analysis of COVID-19 related outcomes from Bahrain, a country with a total population of 1.501 million, where four vaccines were deployed (total vaccinated =1,003,960), including Astra-Zeneca (AZ/Covishield), Pfizer/BioNtech, Sinopharm and Sputnik V. By analyzing individual histories of vaccinated versus unvaccinated cases, we provide a granular description of the effectiveness of the four vaccines, disease burden in unvaccinated versus vaccinated individuals over time, and the risk of four outcomes (infections, hospitalizations, ICU admissions and deaths) due to breakthrough infections among vaccinated individuals. We conclude that the four vaccines were effective in reducing all four outcomes in vaccinated compared to unvaccinated individuals, prior to, and during the period when the Delta variant became dominant in the country (May 2021 to the present). However, after censoring early vaccine recipients of Sinopharm vaccine, compared to Pfizer/BionTech recipients, individuals vaccinated with Sinopharm had a higher risk of post-vaccination infections, hospitalizations, ICU admissions and deaths, especially in those > 50 years old. Our overall findings support the value of vaccination in preventing COVID-19 related events even with the advent of the Delta variant. These data support the urgent need to expand vaccination access around the world, and may serve to guide the choice of vaccines in the context of the Delta variant....
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    DougSeal said:

BBC News - OnlyFans suspends policy change after backlash
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58331722

Quite a U-turn.

I don’t know how they expected to make any money.
    Well at least they've seen their mistake and got to a happy ending.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

45% — still withdraw
    40% — don’t withdraw

Support 52%
    Opppose 38%
    I hope you're talking theoretically and not personally.
    A man can dream...
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Full PDF is here:
    https://assets.researchsquare.com/files/rs-828021/v1_covered.pdf?c=1629822798

AZN holds up very well, particuarly as a much higher % of the AZN vaccinees were male.
    the percentage of deaths among all PCR positive post-vaccination COVID-19 cases among recipients of the Sinopharm vaccine was 0.46% (i.e, 112 deaths) versus 0.15% for Pfizer/BioNtech (i.e., 3 deaths) and 0.03% for AZ/Covishield (1 death) (Table 1). This trend was consistent for all COVID-19 events, i.e., infection, hospitalization, ICU admission and death (Tables 1)....

Note that the Chinese vaccines still deliver a strong measure of protection versus non vaccination, despite being poorer than the western comparators.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Is this the Spartan approach to gene pool improvement? Put your babies on the hill overnight so that only the strong survive.
    It's actually rather ironic as the whole idea of importing unfortunate Africans to the New World was that they were more resistant to disease than the usual assorted criminals, politicals, unapproved religious and other marginal whites from England, Scotland and Ireland).
  • Options

DavidL said:

are you watching the same match?
    Apologies! Apologies!

I should, of course, have said "Looks like India collapsed faster than the Pakistanis did in December 1971!".
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Full PDF is here:

AZN holds up very well, particuarly as a much higher % of the AZN vaccinees were male.
    the percentage of deaths among all PCR positive post-vaccination COVID-19 cases among recipients of the Sinopharm vaccine was 0.46% (i.e, 112 deaths) versus 0.15% for Pfizer/BioNtech (i.e., 3 deaths) and 0.03% for AZ/Covishield (1 death) (Table 1). This trend was consistent for all COVID-19 events, i.e., infection, hospitalization, ICU admission and death (Tables 1)....

Note that the Chinese vaccines still deliver a strong measure of protection versus non vaccination, despite being poorer than the western comparators.

So AZ doing great, just as the company begins to wonder whether it is worth continuing after all the negative responses over blood clotting and it now not being used for half the population and so on.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625

Could they afford you?
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    Nigelb said:

Full PDF is here:

As my ill-informed post said the other day, the Government are aware of the excellent performance of the AZN vaccine, which is why those who have had it are very unlikely to require a booster shot.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,446
    Can't wait to watch the cricket highlights tonight.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

John Rentoul
    @JohnRentoul
    ·
    49m
    Unite source says the anti-Len vote was bigger than expected, and McCluskey “split it by accidentally declaring war on Sharon”

Rejoice Comrade. Unite has just elected a Socialist woman as GS

The anti Len Candidate finished last
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Full PDF is here:

So AZ doing great, just as the company begins to wonder whether it is worth continuing after all the negative responses over blood clotting and it now not being used for half the population and so on.
    I do hope so. Age distributions of vaccinees are not uniform between the vaccines, mind. And AZ vaccinees have a younger distribution than the UK population as a whole (but may be comparable to the actual AZ vaccinees in the UK? - I wouldn't know).
  • Options

DougSeal said:

“Prof. Devi Sridhar
    @devisridhar

Meanwhile over at iSAGE:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    1h
    'Could' doing heavy lifting. How many of the cases are mild/asymptomatic in the context of vaccines? And on mutation, things have gone a bit quiet recently. Delta seems to compete the pants off everything, without being noticeably more severe. Have we reached the limits of mutations of concern? Or is that dangerous hubris. Certainly been a slowdown in 'new VOC' stories.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,388
    Anecdata from a nurse at my local hosp. this morning.

Some stress on the system reappearing from COVID cases and in ITU. 'Depressing'.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Carnyx said:

I'm getting confused what with all this polling about dogs and Mr Biden.
    Is it that Biden is barking?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited August 2021
    kle4 said:

Could they afford you?
    That and for a few other reasons.

I suspect the public profile involved isn't for me (it's the reason why I never stood for elected office.) I'd be perpetually having to apologise to people who don't get my humour.

I mean I once began a work report (and also a PB thread header) with the line

‘Never trust anybody who spells gonorrhoea correctly on the first attempt’ is a maxim that has served me well in life.

Another factor is I'm not sure a poacher should become a gamekeeper.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,086

Nigelb said:

Full PDF is here:

The AZ shares are doing well for me so far.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Quincel said:

The point about my stroll distribute anecdote was that this is a global issue - it was a US business impacted by supply issues in Asia
This discussion has been closed.