Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Better Together: Olympic edition – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Leon said:

Another, very similar video at Kabul Airport

https://twitter.com/sb_qureshii/status/1427013429689192452?s=20

I don't think I've ever seen mass blind human panic like this

Well there was that time KFC had a chicken shortage, but it's pretty close.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

Leon said:

I don’t want to sound all Leon, but the airport situation in Kabul doesn’t look all that great.

Looks like planes cannot leave - Afghan citizens on the runway. US taken over air traffic control with UK help.

Another theory about the airport chaos

"It appears the Taliban has used gunfire to herd thousands of desperate and frightened civilians onto the Kabul Airport runway and tarmac. No planes are able to take off or land. US and UK troops are also there.

A potential death trap which could quickly become a prison"

Very clever if so
    Next 48 hours crucial according to UK - hmm..

I’m trying to figure out what the incentive is for the Taliban to let them evacuate.
    Better start to international relations, lubricated by Pakistan and Turkey, not being bombed.
    On the other hand you’ve seen 20 years of your Taliban mates killed by an invading force. You’d have to hope revenge doesn’t come in to it I’d guess
    So many of the pictures of the Taliban forces look so young. I doubt many of them remember the 1990s or 2000s.
    The children are our future, as they say.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Yokes said:

Yokes said:

Scott_xP said:

Germany, France, Spain all sending aircraft to evacuate personnel

Dumb question: Is there just the one airport in Kabul, namely the Hamid Karzai International Airport?
    when it comes to big aircraft yes.
    So all 'Germany, France, Spain all sending aircraft to evacuate personnel' might not have an airport to land at soon.
    Im still not sold on that. I just dont know if the Taliban will go for the airport. Gunfire at the airport could be Taliban harassment fire, it could be some desperate or angry locals. There is no clear picture of whether its small arms or mortars or rockets. I'd assume if its the latter we'd have known but at this point its clear that if the Taliban drove the several miles up the road and just started lobbing shit over the fence they could do so right now. The lack of clear official statements from the US is worrying, either its chaotic or they dont want to talk for operational or PR reasons. What we do know is not all US citizens are at the airport and an unknown number are still in the city.

The British have their diplomatic mission out, I think they left last night. Its remarkably unclear how many British troops are there (my undestanding, possibly incorrect, as of yesterday was that it was fraction of the 650 announced) but the RAF have flown in and out about 7 or 8 times over the last 72 hours.

Its also to be noted that a lot of visuals from the airport are on the civil side of the grounds. This place is not Heathrow but it does have two distinct sides.

Bruno Macaes on Twitter is punting the theory that the USG has offered the Taliban enormous sums of cash just to let the evac complete

Which must be nice for the US taxpayer to know, if true

20 years of tragedy ends in farcical bribery
    No, I just think things are pretty chaotic on the Taliban side too. They do not have sophisticated command and control. They are more interested in securing the city than the airport, and the scuttle is something that plays well for them in propaganda, at home and abroad.
    Hmmm

They are sophisticated enough to overrun an entire country, and defeat an army four times the size (backed by a superpower) in a matter of weeks. To the total surprise of "the greatest intelligence agencies in the world"

I don't buy this idea they are chaotic and unsophisticated. They have been honed by 30 Darwinian years of fighting, maybe centuries, into a formidable force with excellent command of tactics AND strategy

What they are is factionalised, however. There are pragmatists who just want to run a very Islamic Afghanistan, there are ideologues who want to export terror and hurt America anyway they can. The nutters might be the ones who mortar the airport, escalating the fight

And it is perfectly credible: the idea that Biden would pay off the Talibs to get the evacuation to work. He's a bit sleepy. but he knows that if this fucks up and thousands die, he will not be re-elected. That's gotta be worth a couple of billion

I'm not saying it is true, just that it is plausible
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,611
    ALEX Salmond has featured in a scathing review of a restaurant described as somewhere “rich people pay ludicrous prices for cack-handed food”.

The Alba Party leader was spotted at the rooftop Polo Lounge at the Dorchester Hotel on Park Lane, where a basket of bread costs £16 and a steak £135.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/19514892.alex-salmond-spotted-restaurant-rich-people-paying-ludicrous-prices/
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,022
    Leon said:

Another, very similar video at Kabul Airport

https://twitter.com/sb_qureshii/status/1427013429689192452?s=20

I don't think I've ever seen mass blind human panic like this

Just experienced it..
  • Options
    Leon said:

Perfect. Just perfect

"Top US general says terror groups could reconstitute in Afghanistan sooner than expected"

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/15/politics/mark-milley-afghanistan-terror-groups/index.html

Not that there's an appetite to go back in, as it were, but if they have their eyes on the long game the Taliban would be very dumb to not keep a grip on any such groups in their territory. There's dozens of horrible regimes out there, and many many dozens more crappy ones, the world doesn't have the energy or will to give a shit unless the stars align or you do something egregious to the major players.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Some movement on the Next Cabinet Minister to Leave market:

Sharma 11/4 shortening
    Patel 6/1 shortening
    Williamson 6/1
    Gove 7/1 shortening
    Frost 8/1 shortening
    14 bar

zzzzzzz
    Well someone has got to leave next, and as this is a betting site, odds as to who that might be seems a more than relevant point for discussion.
    Not right now.. Dickson used to post lots of pointless betting odds. Boris is going nowhere.. who his successor is irrelevant right now.
    Huh? This is (supposedly) a political betting blog. I’m fascinated by your proposition that some political betting odds are “pointless”. Please show your workings.

According to the markets, there is actually a percentage of the punting public who do think that Johnson is going. That’s the fun! Put your money where your mouth is.

D+
    All the ones you used to.post at 6 am whom few if anyone was interested in and you got banned for iirc I seem remember that you flooded the site with crap.
    Huh? New one on me.

I’ve been banned for being rude to Mark Senior, for allegedly having a fake email address (untrue: it’s the one I’m still using right now 15 years later, and Robert Smithson recently contacted me on), for posting Scottish sub-samples, for sticking up for my bullied colleague James Kelly, and just generally for being an annoying Jock, but I cannot recall ever being banned for posting odds. On a betting blog that would be truly bizarre.
    A few more betting tips on this blog wouldn't go amiss. Indeed I like @Quincel Saturday mornings slot for this very reason.

Possibly Raab next out in view of the weekends events in Central Asia?

25/1 with WH, 16/1 on Wallace. Someone needs to carry the can for this intelligence failure.
    Surely if anybody's going to carry the can for an intelligence failure Gavin Williamson would have to be the favourite?
    The thing is that resignation requires a sense of honour, and sacking requires some backbone from the PM. Both are rare phenomena in the Tory Cabinet.

I am on Raab and Wallace for half the price of a pint.
    Well if it's a London table service pint that's quite a chunky bet.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

Current projections see the LPC on 168 seats with 170 needed for a majority.
    So quite a gamble by Justin.
    However, it is his election to lose.

If he increases the number of Liberal seats but they still fall short of a majority, will that be regarded as a success?
    No.
    And yes.
    The point is to win a majority with a poorer Opposition leader than last time, and a divided Tory Party. And on a vaccine bounce.
    However, another win, even as a minority, won't be seen as a failure. Third term you see.
This discussion has been closed.