Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Some worrying statistics from America – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124
    YoungTurk said:

Afghanistan: Telegraph:

"Defence Committee chairman Tobias Ellwood said it was a humiliation for the West."

Really? What a perceptive chap. But yeah, we're talking about p*ssing squillions of quid up the wall fighting a war that it was impossible to win, on a foreign country's say-so, and then at the moment of final defeat not even being able to withdraw in orderly fashion. The responsibility for that last failure must surely lie with Boris Johnson who has been PM for two years, easily long enough to withdraw calmly and without panic. But given that he couldn't be bothered, quite possibly by this time tomorrow there will be a POW issue: "release prisoners you're holding in Guantanamo and Diego Garcia and we'll release the prisoners we took in Kabul who couldn't grab on to the helicopter skids in time." (Clue: do the f***ing deal. Much better to do the deal than have videos circulate of British embassy staff getting their heads cut off because you didn't.)

"Despite the decision of the Biden administration to withdraw the remaining US troops which triggered the collapse, Mr Ellwood said it was still not too late to turn the situation around.

He called for the despatch of the Royal Navy carrier strike group to the region and urged the Prime Minister to convene an emergency conference of "like-minded nations" to see what could be done.
    "

What a maniac. Carpet-bombing on the way out of the door, huh? Remind me how that worked in Vietnam and Kampuchea. The only military issue now for Britain is the evacuation.

He's a Conservative MP. He may well be thinking of a blockade of Afghan sea-ports rather than a bombing campaign.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The future of Scotland, a comparison to the pineapple pizza divide?

Ooh, make that five threads on Scotland during Mike's holiday.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,641
    edited August 2021
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    YoungTurk said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Quincel said:

isam said:

The MP for Leeds NW’s response to footage of Leeds fans singing “Sancho & Rashford let the country down” at Old Trafford yesterday. A bit much to call for supporters to be banned for that I think, this is tame stuff

‘An absolute disgrace I hope @LUFC bans these people as they are no supporters of the club’

https://twitter.com/alexsobel/status/1426542380610641922?s=21

Deary me.. people are getting sensitive. You should have listened to what went on in the 70s and 80s. This really is tame by comparison... ir might not be nice but you will never stop it.
    I find this an interesting argument given that, as you say, we have stopped what went on in the 70s and 80s. Leaving aside whether it is right, football clubs clearly are capable of policing their fans' behaviour to a reasonably significant extent.
    Yes, clubs do police their fans behaviour and, currently, it seems they do so in a reasonable way.

But do you really think banning these people for this song is justified in any way, shape or form ?

Over a harmless chant. If they were making monkey noises or racist chanting then they should be banned. The fans caught on film fighting in Manchester yesterday, largely posted on Twitter, should be banned. A ban for This song. No way.
    So is there a difference from what the Leeds fans did and singing ‘you’re sh*t and you know you are’? Seems an odd one. Perhaps we should be singing ‘you’re still very good but not quite as good as my team, please don’t take offence’...
    Perhaps the FA can approve all Chants before fans are allowed to sing them ?

The referees a wanker being replaced with the referee practises acts of self love. As an example.
    "Who is that onanist wearing dark clothing?"
    Football chants as crossword clues. Has some mileage.
  • Options

I see @NikitaBassi123, who works directly for Nicola Sturgeon, has quickly deleted her tweet suggesting Scotland is colonised and subject to ‘British rule’ just like India was.

These views are abhorrent and I hope the ignorance on display in that tweet is reflected on.

https://twitter.com/JohnFerry18/status/1426859853226684416?s=20

Scots came into India as writers, traders, engineers, missionaries, tea and indigo planters, jute traders and teachers. By 1771 almost half of the East India Company's writers were Scots.

The Scottish presence was also strongly evident in India. The first three Governor-Generals of India were Scots. When Henry Dundas became President of the Board of Control in 1784 he ‘Scoticised’ India and through his agencies Scots came to dominate the activities of the East India Company (EIC). By 1792, Scots made up one in nine EIC civil servants, six in eleven common soldiers and one in three officers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish-Indian

Ha ha, this SNP apparatchik obviously must have missed who the ruling regime are jn Holyrood.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    edited August 2021

Foxy said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

Dura_Ace said:

With regard to the tories on the previous thread getting drippy dicks about the informal transmanche regatta which has so adorned out summer...

They are correct in their analysis: this government lacks the fortitude to do any on water operation that would make any difference.

However, what they are missing is that this cannot be fixed by a tory government. This is a Europe wide problem that needs a European solution. However the tories have spent the last five years gleefully shitting on European cooperation in general and the French and particular. They withdrew from the Dublin Convention which would have allowed the legal return of some of the arrivals to other European countries.

It's going to take a government of a different political complexion that can upgrade the UK's relationship with the EU to fix it.

In fairness, Commander(?) Ace, the situation cannot be fixed by THIS Tory government; up until 2015 one could reasonably say that Tory governments were, generally speaking, pro-Europe.

It's only under Johnson and his acolytes that the party has become rabid English Nationalists.
    So, what is more likely?

1. the Conservative Party abandoning English Nationalism and becoming pro-Europe again, or
    2. a government of a different political complexion taking power

Because one of those two things has to happen to solve the informal transmanche regatta.

Path 2 seems far more likely than path 1.
    Consider also that, at least since party leaders were chosen by members, the standard response to defeat is to double down on what the members want and moderation can go to hell.

Suppose the Conservatives lose in 2024. Is the next LotO more likely to be a "Brexit with a human face" type (Hunt, say) or a "Boris's problem was he was just too soft on Europe, bless him" character (Patel or JRM, for example)?
    It will always be the more extreme of the two members presented to them by the filtering committee of Tory MPs
    In one year, Conservative Party membership increased by 50 per cent. That's ordinary Conservatives enthused by Boris, you understand, and not entryists as you'd suspect with Labour. 2018, 120,000 members; 2019, 180,000. So be slightly careful in guessing which way members will vote in any leadership election. Past performance may be no guide.
    Whereas i read on here that Labour was almost broke and could barely pay its head office staff. The Unions don't seem keen to cough up much at the moment.
    Talking of trade unions, I’ve just spotted this new market:

Best prices - Unite General Secretary election

Steve Turner 10/11
    Gerard Coyne 2/1
    Sharon Graham 11/4
    I can’t think of a more depressing betting market
    How about the Boris Johnson exit date market?

2024 or later 4/6

At least the Scots have an exit route.
    They don't, as long as Boris remains PM he has made clear he will refuse indyref2
    The Scots will decide the future constitutional status of our country, not Boris Johnson.
    And they will vote to remain in the union
    Maybe. Maybe not. There is only one way to find out.
    they are too scared for that
    It really is the only logical conclusion to draw.

Another No win, even by 50.1% to 49.9%, would put the issue to bed for half a century. We’d be in a Quebec scenario.

If the Unionists thought they could get that 50.1% they’d take it in a flash. Cummings and Gove think they could, and they might be right, but very few other Unionists do. The big giveaway is that the Unionists with a true, deep understanding of the lie of the land in the villages and towns of Scotland - the Lib Dem and Labour activists - are also strongly against holding a fresh independence referendum. They can see clearly how it would go.
    No it wouldn't, you Nationalists would be arguing for indyref3 the next day.

Once in a generation means precisely that
    Given that you didn't answer the actual point, which is that Boris knows he will lose a referendum I assume you agree thag Scotland woulc currently vote for independence so you don't want to ffer them the chance.
    Not necessarily, the latest poll is 52% No but once in a generation is once in a generation

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1424074941381713921?s=20
    That's a really original and interesting hypothesis. Do you think you could repeat it, like, maybe 246 times in 77 threads? I can then design a new Antikythera Mechanism to replace you on this site.
    Perhaps you guys could also shut the fuck up about Scottish indy as well, then? Just for a few months?

We know where you stand, we know where HYUFD stands, we know where Stuart "blood and soil" Dickson stands, maybe if you ALL just put a lid on it til, say, Christmas, the site would benefit

There ain't gonna be a referendum any time soon, there are no new arguments to be had from Nats or Yoons, you are dancing around the same fucking handbag day after day. Desist. Ta
    What do you suggest we discuss? Brexit maybe?
    Just think of it as a post covid normalisation. We are back to our old feuds.
    The afternoon thread is about Scotland.

You can all thank me now or on that when it is published.

I also have at least 4 Scotland threads in the pipeline for when Mike is on holiday.
    Poor Leon, broiling in the east Med sun, biting his fingers and dying to have his tuppence worth.
    I'm about to go the Parthenon. I have a feeling it will be slightly more elevating, and entertaining, than PB's 39827th debate on Sindy

But you guys knock yerselves out. Again
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    The Afghans we were with in February, were all executed outside their homes in Kandahar on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/jaglancy/status/1426878440838508547?s=20
  • Options
    YoungTurk said:

"Defence Committee chairman Tobias Ellwood said it was a humiliation for the West."

Really? What a perceptive chap. But yeah, we're talking about p*ssing squillions of quid up the wall fighting a war that it was impossible to win, on a foreign country's say-so, and then at the moment of final defeat not even being able to withdraw in orderly fashion. The responsibility for that last failure must surely lie with Boris Johnson who has been PM for two years, easily long enough to withdraw calmly and without panic. But given that he couldn't be bothered, quite possibly by this time tomorrow there will be a POW issue: "release prisoners you're holding in Guantanamo and Diego Garcia and we'll release the prisoners we took in Kabul who couldn't grab on to the helicopter skids in time." (Clue: do the f***ing deal. Much better to do the deal than have videos circulate of British embassy staff getting their heads cut off because you didn't.)

"Despite the decision of the Biden administration to withdraw the remaining US troops which triggered the collapse, Mr Ellwood said it was still not too late to turn the situation around.

He called for the despatch of the Royal Navy carrier strike group to the region and urged the Prime Minister to convene an emergency conference of "like-minded nations" to see what could be done.
    "

What a maniac. Carpet-bombing on the way out of the door, huh? Remind me how that worked in Vietnam and Kampuchea. The only military issue now for Britain is the evacuation.

He’s crackers. It’s done. It’s too late. Once the US pulled out the rest had to follow,suit.
  • Options
    So is the Afghanistan intervention now deemed to be a bigger failure than the Iraq intervention ?

Perhaps a better idea would have been to partition Afghanistan between Pakistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and anyone else who wanted a part.
  • Options

So is the Afghanistan intervention now deemed to be a bigger failure than the Iraq intervention ?

Perhaps a better idea would have been to partition Afghanistan between Pakistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and anyone else who wanted a part.

Auction off the provinces, like they auction players off in the IPL.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

The Afghans we were with in February, were all executed outside their homes in Kandahar on Thursday.

Awful
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

Rory Stewart hit the nail squarely on the head this morning.

The withdrawal of air support was the nail in the coffin for the Afghan National Army and Government. It would have been much harder for the Taliban to advance if they faced the kind of air assault the US, UK and others can muster.

Yet the Afghan Air Force has supposedly 180 aircraft which is I suspect is 180 more than the Taliban though the latter have (I presume) anti-aircraft missiles at their disposal.

The fact remains a well-equipped modern army has disintegrated in just five weeks and whatever vitriol you want to hurl at Biden, the questions remains why no one has tried to fight for Ghani and the anti-Taliban forces.

Indeed. Why should Americans or Brits risk their lives against Stinger missiles if Afghans are not minded to?
    To defend ourselves from a jihadi nation exporting terror. As happened before

I predict that within 5 years we will be bombing Afghanistan again. Not invading, but bombing, yes
    I can't help feeling that when Rumsfeld gave Pakistan the option of cooperating or being bombed back to the stone age he made a strategic error. There is absolutely no way that the Taleban could have sustained this effort without huge logistical support from the Pakistan Intelligence Agency. The protection of Bin Laden was just a simple example of where their loyalties and efforts were. By allowing them such a safe haven on their border we made the war unwinnable.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718
    edited August 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Just 5 weeks ago, on 8th July, Biden held a press conference at which he said he was confident Afghan forces would be able to hold off the Taliban.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/07/08/remarks-by-president-biden-on-the-drawdown-of-u-s-forces-in-afghanistan/

"Q Is a Taliban takeover of Afghanistan now inevitable?
    THE PRESIDENT: No, it is not.
    Q Why?
    THE PRESIDENT: Because you — the Afghan troops have 300,000 well-equipped — as well-equipped as any army in the world — and an air force against something like 75,000 Taliban. It is not inevitable."

This press conference could well come back to bite Biden. He was clearly misinformed about just how illusory the Afghan government was. If he had known the true state of Taleban control, his rush to quit Afghanistan would no doubt have been strengthened.

America have lost their key allies in the same way on several occasions before: China (1949), South Vietnam (1975), Iran (1979). In each case an incoherent set of kleptocrats was no match for a motivated nationalistic opposition. Afghanistan is probably the least significant loss of these from a geopolitical point of view.

Those that talk of the end of the West and indeed an empire may be correct if Afghanistan proves to be the last of these interventions from the US
  • Options

Awful
    War is brutal. Sadly. The west has much to account for.
  • Options
    YoungTurk said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Quincel said:

isam said:

The MP for Leeds NW’s response to footage of Leeds fans singing “Sancho & Rashford let the country down” at Old Trafford yesterday. A bit much to call for supporters to be banned for that I think, this is tame stuff

‘An absolute disgrace I hope @LUFC bans these people as they are no supporters of the club’

Deary me.. people are getting sensitive. You should have listened to what went on in the 70s and 80s. This really is tame by comparison... ir might not be nice but you will never stop it.
    I find this an interesting argument given that, as you say, we have stopped what went on in the 70s and 80s. Leaving aside whether it is right, football clubs clearly are capable of policing their fans' behaviour to a reasonably significant extent.
    Yes, clubs do police their fans behaviour and, currently, it seems they do so in a reasonable way.

But do you really think banning these people for this song is justified in any way, shape or form ?

Over a harmless chant. If they were making monkey noises or racist chanting then they should be banned. The fans caught on film fighting in Manchester yesterday, largely posted on Twitter, should be banned. A ban for This song. No way.
    So is there a difference from what the Leeds fans did and singing ‘you’re sh*t and you know you are’? Seems an odd one. Perhaps we should be singing ‘you’re still very good but not quite as good as my team, please don’t take offence’...

The referees a wanker being replaced with the referee practises acts of self love. As an example.
    Leicester fans were happy singing at the Wolves fans "you're going down with the Villa!" yesterday. It's good to be back.

Though my favourite chant was when Leicester were awarded a second dodgy penalty (in pre VAR* days), I think against Wimbledon. We sang at the referee "you DO know what you're doing" at their best fans can be quite witty.

*incidentally the officials have learnt a lot from the Euros. VAR was not an issue in the matches so far this weekend. Officials are letting things flow, and VAR in use, but you would hardly know.

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    Serious suggestion - even numbered days of the month no discussions of SIndy or Brexit. Every other day fill your boots with whatever you want. It is becoming a serious problem on what is often an entertaining board. The same points have been rehearsed so many times that it is easy to predict what the usual suspects will say ahead of time.
  • Options

Awful
    The genius IQ of a Scot Nat is demonstrated by this Nat reply to that horrendous news:

"Eck Flag of European Union Flag of Scotland
    @eckevand
    By the Taliban? Why?"

https://twitter.com/eckevand/status/1426881825696362498?s=20
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674
    Labour, a party that has recently been pushing the message that we must look to the future, is still preoccupied with strikes that took place in the 1980s. Indeed Keir Starmer, perhaps it is you who is out of touch.....

This highlights an increasingly visible problem for the Labour Party: they’ve lost touch with the north. And in trying to shake off their cosmopolitan shackles, they’ve sold themselves a false narrative that traditional voters are still perturbed by historical issues. Going back to your roots does not mean literally entering a time machine. It is sad to see that Margaret Thatcher still haunts Labour from beyond the grave and their obsession with the North’s supposed universal disliking for her is often misguided.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/boris-johnson-margaret-thatcher-coal-mines-joke-b1902348.html
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    Don't worry there will be plenty coming here illegally.

Given the mess they've made of their own country I don't see what we gain by encouraging them to come.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    Leon said:

I'm about to go the Parthenon. I have a feeling it will be slightly more elevating, and entertaining, than PB's 39827th debate on Sindy

But you guys knock yerselves out. Again

Dunno, yesterday I was getting told I should be making a case for Scottish indy rather than pointing and laughing at the gimpery on display. Ye just cannae win sometimes..
  • Options

Awful
    More seriously, this is horrific but oh-so-predictable.

This is why the Taliban promises of a peaceful takeover are utter bullshit. They have fought a brutal guerrilla campaign for 20 years - and won. They have killed 70,000 Afghans in that campaign, and seen their own side slaughtered. They have at least 10,000 bloodthirsty foreign jihadis in their ranks - veterans of ISIS and AQ and the rest

There will now be the most terrible butchering of the enemy, and the evil will only grow and expand from there

This is a grim day for the entire world
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    Taz said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Gotta love the first six words in this Tweet “Say what you like about the Taliban, at least the trains ran on time”

Roshan M Salih
    @RmSalih
    Whatever you think of the Taliban their seemingly imminent victory is a historic defeat of colonialism and imperialism. This should be the main narrative of media around the world, rather than the red herrings about women's rights etc that we are being sold.

Jesus Christ that guy's Twitter feed. And he's a British Muslim. Odious
    He’s no fan of Rory Stewart !
    He is the editor of the 5Pillars website...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Awful
    The genius IQ of a Scot Nat is demonstrated by this Nat reply to that horrendous news:

"Eck Flag of European Union Flag of Scotland
    @eckevand
    By the Taliban? Why?"

https://twitter.com/eckevand/status/1426881825696362498?s=20
    To be fair the ones here are not renowned for their critical thinking unless it’s being critical of the ‘English’
  • Options

"I wasn’t in Kandahar last week. The ANDSF surrendered, then the Taliban went on the rampage, door to door, executing people associated with the Govt."

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,636
    edited August 2021
    Well done to the New York Times for solemnly publishing an opinion piece by the deputy leader of Taliban last year.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/20/opinion/taliban-afghanistan-war-haqqani.html

"OPINION
    What We, the Taliban, Want
    I am convinced that the killing and the maiming must stop, the deputy leader of the Taliban writes
    Feb. 20, 2020"
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

jonny83 said:

Parliament to be recalled...to do what exactly? Invade?

Have a bit of a moan, say they are worried and do absolutely nothing.
    Don't be ridiculous. There is lots to do, huge amounts of blame and responsibility to be avoided, narratives to set etc. They certainly would not want to look completely ineffectual and pointless, would they?
    I'll bet you the non-mortgaged portion of my house that the phrase 'lessons will/should be learned' will rear its ugly head.
    Possible lessons:

(1) Attempting to impose western values on countries that have a culture that is deeply inimical to them is doomed to failure.
    (2) The money and resources spent on being embedded and building up domestic forces who have no interest in fighting for said values is completely wasted and the activity is delusional.
    (3) Pakistan is not our friend. Not even close to being a friend.
    (4) Modern softy democracies are not capable of sustaining a war effort that produces material numbers of body bags over an extended period (which may or may not be a good thing).
    No 1 there is most pertinent, I think. It doesn't seem to dawn on a lot of people that other cultures don't necessarily want to be just like us. It is also one of the biggest oversights of multiculturalism in Western countries, and the people who first promoted multiculturalism in the UK (Roy Jenkins, Lord Lester) admitted as much
  • Options

Labour, a party that has recently been pushing the message that we must look to the future, is still preoccupied with strikes that took place in the 1980s. Indeed Keir Starmer, perhaps it is you who is out of touch.....

This highlights an increasingly visible problem for the Labour Party: they’ve lost touch with the north. And in trying to shake off their cosmopolitan shackles, they’ve sold themselves a false narrative that traditional voters are still perturbed by historical issues. Going back to your roots does not mean literally entering a time machine. It is sad to see that Margaret Thatcher still haunts Labour from beyond the grave and their obsession with the North’s supposed universal disliking for her is often misguided.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/boris-johnson-margaret-thatcher-coal-mines-joke-b1902348.html

I've not heard anyone mention the miners strike in real life for well over a decade.
  • Options

Foxy said:
    Don't worry there will be plenty coming here illegally.

Given the mess they've made of their own country I don't see what we gain by encouraging them to come.
    Well, perhaps we should pick rather than first come first served, by issuing asylum visas to women and others at risk.

Worth noting that the Vietnamese diaspora in America is now 2 million strong. There were trivial numbers before the fall of Saigon.
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    Quite right too. Remember that "migrants have to settle in the first country they come to". So none of them should some here. In fact, now is the time to do a deal with the Taliban to host our unwanted forrin offshore. Lets have Priti Patel open it, smirking next to some bearded Taliban warlord as women who look just like her get looked after respectfully by the pro-women jihadis.

Thats how you stop scroungers coming from safe places like Afghanistan to take our jobs and claim benefits. So sayeth Tory voters apparently.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999
    YoungTurk said:

He called for the despatch of the Royal Navy carrier strike group to the region and urged the Prime Minister to convene an emergency conference of "like-minded nations" to see what could be done."

LOL. It's in fucking Guam. The Afghans should have realised we've pivoted to the Pacific.
  • Options
    Leon said:

"I wasn’t in Kandahar last week. The ANDSF surrendered, then the Taliban went on the rampage, door to door, executing people associated with the Govt."

We do seem to have formed an Afghan army out of the wrong people.

Isn't the normal failing to recruit poor peasants who sympathise with the enemy and hate the corrupt elites.

While the westernised middle classes believe that military service is beneath them.

The poor peasants in the army then join the enemy in shooting the westernised middle classes while the corrupt elites flee the country with their stolen riches.
  • Options

I've not heard anyone mention the miners strike in real life for well over a decade.
    Same here, living in one of the areas affected by it, there are reminders there of course. But it as two generations ago. I think the above analysis is correct. The miners strike seems to be more of a preoccupation with those not in the affected areas. Look at the indignation that these communities dared vote Tory from people who would only know these areas from looking at a map.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    YoungTurk said:

"

Tobias is absolutely right.

Biden is by far the weakest President of my entire lifetime in foreign policy terms, he has handed Afghanistan back on a plate to jihadis and terrorists and the Taliban.

If and when we get 9/11 2 it will be Biden and Harris to blame.

They have weakened the West in the face of Russia and China and emboldened militant Islam.

Biden even makes the Carter administration look strong
  • Options
    Calm down everyone. Sir Kir Royale Starmer has intervened

"A very sad day. The situation in Afghanistan is shocking. Our thoughts are with the Afghan people.

The government has been silent as Afghanistan collapses which will have ramifications in the UK.

Our immediate priority must be to evacuate British personnel and support staff."

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1426886448934961156?s=20

I sometimes wonder if he is parodying himself, the most boring politician in the galaxy, for his own amusement
  • Options
    isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

jonny83 said:

Don't be ridiculous. There is lots to do, huge amounts of blame and responsibility to be avoided, narratives to set etc. They certainly would not want to look completely ineffectual and pointless, would they?
    I'll bet you the non-mortgaged portion of my house that the phrase 'lessons will/should be learned' will rear its ugly head.
    Possible lessons:

(1) Attempting to impose western values on countries that have a culture that is deeply inimical to them is doomed to failure.
    (2) The money and resources spent on being embedded and building up domestic forces who have no interest in fighting for said values is completely wasted and the activity is delusional.
    (4) Modern softy democracies are not capable of sustaining a war effort that produces material numbers of body bags over an extended period (which may or may not be a good thing).
    No 1 there is most pertinent, I think. It doesn't seem to dawn on a lot of people that other cultures don't necessarily want to be just like us. It is also one of the biggest oversights of multiculturalism in Western countries, and the people who first promoted multiculturalism in the UK (Roy Jenkins, Lord Lester) admitted as much
    Some cultures integrate more quickly than others. For example after only a month the Indian tourists have learned the importance of top order batting collapses.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929
    Foxy said:

YoungTurk said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Quincel said:

isam said:

Leicester fans were happy singing at the Wolves fans "you're going down with the Villa!" yesterday. It's good to be back.

Though my favourite chant was when Leicester were awarded a second dodgy penalty (in pre VAR* days), I think against Wimbledon. We sang at the referee "you DO know what you're doing" at their best fans can be quite witty.

*incidentally the officials have learnt a lot from the Euros. VAR was not an issue in the matches so far this weekend. Officials are letting things flow, and VAR in use, but you would hardly know.

Man U got away with what looked a pre VAR pen to me, Maguire on Roberts... although they were 5-1 up at the time
  • Options
    Leon said:

"A very sad day. The situation in Afghanistan is shocking. Our thoughts are with the Afghan people.

The government has been silent as Afghanistan collapses which will have ramifications in the UK.

Our immediate priority must be to evacuate British personnel and support staff."

I sometimes wonder if he is parodying himself, the most boring politician in the galaxy, for his own amusement

In fairness the lack of a running commentary from the UK government probably did prove the turning point.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,335

Leon said:

We do seem to have formed an Afghan army out of the wrong people.

Isn't the normal failing to recruit poor peasants who sympathise with the enemy and hate the corrupt elites.

While the westernised middle classes believe that military service is beneath them.

The poor peasants in the army then join the enemy in shooting the westernised middle classes while the corrupt elites flee the country with their stolen riches.
    I suspect it was merely a paper army, even if most of them had uniforms and guns.

They were happy to go along with it as long as they were protected by Western firepower, and well-paid, but they weren't actually that interested in fighting.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    isam said:

Foxy said:

YoungTurk said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Quincel said:

isam said:

Man U got away with what looked a pre VAR pen to me, Maguire on Roberts... although they were 5-1 up at the time
    I also thought Fernandes was offside for the fourth goal. As ever, the correction always goes too far.
  • Options
    Can't wait to read John Gray's analysis of what's happening in Afghanistan.
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

YoungTurk said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Quincel said:

isam said:

I'm a United fan and that was blatant. If VAR is not correcting errors like that I am not sure what the point is.
    I think that the 4th goal probably should have stood because (a) it was seriously close when the ball was hit and (b) the finish was awesome.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

YoungTurk said:

He called for the despatch of the Royal Navy carrier strike group to the region and urged the Prime Minister to convene an emergency conference of "like-minded nations" to see what could be done."

LOL. It's in fucking Guam. The Afghans should have realised we've pivoted to the Pacific.
    In any case isn't Kabul about 1000km from open sea?
    There are empty gestures, then there would be this.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,612

The two are inextricably linked, I think.
    If the resources committed to Iraq had instead been committed to the Afghan adventure, rather than doing it on the cheap and outsourcing the work on the ground to local warlords, then the attempts at nation building we've seen in recent years might have started a decade earlier.

It might still have ended in failure, but the odds would have been far better.
  • Options
    "We have not betrayed Afghanistan
    In the absence of international allies there was little more that Britain alone could have done

Ben Wallace
    Secretary Of State For Defence"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/08/14/have-not-betrayed-afghanistan/
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

In the absence of international allies there was little more that Britain alone could have done

Ben Wallace

That’s absolutely correct.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

If the resources committed to Iraq had instead been committed to the Afghan adventure, rather than doing it on the cheap and outsourcing the work on the ground to local warlords, then the attempts at nation building we've seen in recent years might have started a decade earlier.

Just so.

Gordon Guthrie
    @gordonguthrie
    3h
    Not exactly looking to former New Labour luminaries who had a hand in the disastrous pivot from Afghanistan to Iraq for guidance on here today kthxbai
  • Options
    Yes, this should all be fine

"#BREAKING: That's Kampani neighborhood of #Kabul! #Taliban jihadists as well as the recently freed members of #AlQaeda are celebrating the takeover of #Afghanistan by Taliban."

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/1426883640466739202?s=20

“I am not afraid to die. But I am afraid that my family will be killed. My mother, brothers and sisters and niece and nephew can’t stay in Kabul any longer”

Just got done with another phone call from Kabul. Desperate call in tears.

Requesting EAM
    @DrSJaishankar
    to kindly note."

https://twitter.com/AdityaRajKaul/status/1426883400577683457?s=20
  • Options
    DavidL said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

YoungTurk said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

Quincel said:

isam said:

I'm a United fan and that was blatant. If VAR is not correcting errors like that I am not sure what the point is.
    I think that the 4th goal probably should have stood because (a) it was seriously close when the ball was hit and (b) the finish was awesome.
    Do we know if they are taking into account the on-field decision? Would it have stood if the flag had gone up on the field? That's how it ought to work, in my opinion.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    https://m.twitch.tv/milesroutledge1999

Last tourist in Afghanistan
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Very important if also very depressing article on Afghanistan.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/as-the-taliban-rise-again-afghanistans-past-threatens-its-present

Published in print next month.

By which time it will be out of date, but pretty much every forecast has been accurate.
  • Options
    Leon said:

"Keir Starmer is crap" post alert
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    edited August 2021

Foxy said:
    Quite right too. Remember that "migrants have to settle in the first country they come to". So none of them should some here. In fact, now is the time to do a deal with the Taliban to host our unwanted forrin offshore. Lets have Priti Patel open it, smirking next to some bearded Taliban warlord as women who look just like her get looked after respectfully by the pro-women jihadis.

Thats how you stop scroungers coming from safe places like Afghanistan to take our jobs and claim benefits. So sayeth Tory voters apparently.
    The UK Government has invited anybody with a BNO passport in Hong Kong to bring themselves and their dependents over here to settle, if they want to and are able to do so. There are planeloads currently leaving for Heathrow every day. So the drawbridge clearly hasn't been pulled up.

I strongly suspect that, at the end of all this, it will transpire that the Government hasn't done nearly enough to rescue those who have helped it directly in Afghanistan in the past, and that's reprehensible. There's a big difference, however, between insisting upon this and advocating an open door. Firstly there are vastly more distressed people in Afghanistan alone, let alone throughout the globe, who would like to come here than can be reasonably accommodated; secondly, the existing population of this island won't stand for it and, unless you're advocating the abolition of popular government, some attention needs to be paid to their wishes as well.

If we're going to draw unfavourable comparisons between Canada and Britain then we might also pause to consider the fact that Canada has the luxury of choice. Irregular migrants from Asia and Africa who transit Europe soon find themselves a dinghy ride across the Channel from Kent if they want to come here. Canada is separated by oceans from the Old World, and irregular migrants travelling up through Central America (if they are able to get across the US border in the first place) generally settle there, rather than venturing to more northerly climes.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Just 5 weeks ago, on 8th July, Biden held a press conference at which he said he was confident Afghan forces would be able to hold off the Taliban.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/07/08/remarks-by-president-biden-on-the-drawdown-of-u-s-forces-in-afghanistan/

"Q Is a Taliban takeover of Afghanistan now inevitable?
    THE PRESIDENT: No, it is not.
    Q Why?
    THE PRESIDENT: Because you — the Afghan troops have 300,000 well-equipped — as well-equipped as any army in the world — and an air force against something like 75,000 Taliban. It is not inevitable."

This press conference could well come back to bite Biden. He was clearly misinformed about just how illusory the Afghan government was. If he had known the true state of Taleban control, his rush to quit Afghanistan would no doubt have been strengthened.

America have lost their key allies in the same way on several occasions before: China (1949), South Vietnam (1975), Iran (1979). In each case an incoherent set of kleptocrats was no match for a motivated nationalistic opposition. Afghanistan is probably the least significant loss of these from a geopolitical point of view.

Those that talk of the end of the West and indeed an empire may be correct if Afghanistan proves to be the last of these interventions from the US
    The mistake they have made time and again is to equate the amount they've spent on military aid with the likelihood of their chosen allies retaining power.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,138
    Foxy said:
    However few we take I can guarantee it will be 100% more than Australia at the moment.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1426772508921917440
    As pro-Trump voices pivot from hailing Trump for abandoning Afghanistan to slamming Biden for abandoning Afghanistan, I remember a line from a novel about Germany in the 1930s. "Our opponents have one tremendous advantage over us: their absolute shamelessness."

...For good or ill, the Biden policy on Afghanistan is the same as the Trump policy, only with less lying.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    HYUFD said:

YoungTurk said:

"

Biden is by far the weakest President of my entire lifetime in foreign policy terms, he has handed Afghanistan back on a plate to jihadis and terrorists and the Taliban.

They have weakened the West in the face of Russia and China and emboldened militant Islam.

And Johnson and the Tories here of course, who have pulled out too, and not shown the slightest hint at applying influence to change USA policy, for example at the G7 in Cornwall a couple of months back.
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

Rory Stewart hit the nail squarely on the head this morning.

The withdrawal of air support was the nail in the coffin for the Afghan National Army and Government. It would have been much harder for the Taliban to advance if they faced the kind of air assault the US, UK and others can muster.

Yet the Afghan Air Force has supposedly 180 aircraft which is I suspect is 180 more than the Taliban though the latter have (I presume) anti-aircraft missiles at their disposal.

The fact remains a well-equipped modern army has disintegrated in just five weeks and whatever vitriol you want to hurl at Biden, the questions remains why no one has tried to fight for Ghani and the anti-Taliban forces.

Indeed. Why should Americans or Brits risk their lives against Stinger missiles if Afghans are not minded to?
    To defend ourselves from a jihadi nation exporting terror. As happened before

I predict that within 5 years we will be bombing Afghanistan again. Not invading, but bombing, yes
    It's not the terror exports we have to worry about - it is the opium exports.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Nigelb said:

Iraq is now clearly in a better state than Afghanistan, it has a democratic government, Saddam Hussein is no more and is now largely ISIS free.

Biden however has wrecked Afghanistan by allowing the Taliban and Al Qaeda back on a plate.

George W Bush now looks like a foreign policy genius in the light of the hapless, weak, pathetic disaster that is this Biden-Harris administration
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

YoungTurk said:

"

The Boris regime are also withdrawing their troops from Afghanistan.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1426772508921917440
    As pro-Trump voices pivot from hailing Trump for abandoning Afghanistan to slamming Biden for abandoning Afghanistan, I remember a line from a novel about Germany in the 1930s. "Our opponents have one tremendous advantage over us: their absolute shamelessness."

...For good or ill, the Biden policy on Afghanistan is the same as the Trump policy, only with less lying.

We only get one path of history. Who knows what Trump would have done in this situation?

One thing I do know is that if Trump had u-turned, his critics would not have applauded him for doing so.

To govern is to choose. Biden owns this.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I've heard that theory many times but I think the speed of Afghanistan's collapse now invalidates it.

After twenty years there turned out to be absolutely no substance to the modern Afghanistan.

A bit more support in the earlier years would have had no lasting effect, the whole project was fundamentally flawed.

In fact we need to reverse the theory and wonder how much more effectively the resources wasted in Afghanistan could have been used in other places.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Trite of course, but why is Johnson not saying anything?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

YoungTurk said:

"

And Johnson and the Tories here of course, who have pulled out too, and not shown the slightest hint at applying influence to change USA policy, for example at the G7 in Cornwall a couple of months back.
    *whispers*
    Does that mean that there actually isn't a special relationship?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Foxy said:
    “ In a parallel universe, Yvette Cooper, Caroline Lucas & Nicola Sturgeon are running the country.”
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,749
    Tobias Ellwood calling for the most futile naval manoeuvre since Antigonus' ship washed up on the shores of Bohemia.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

YoungTurk said:

"

Wallace made clear he tried to change US policy but to no avail.

However I agree Davey's LDs have been the best on this in pushing against withdrawal
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,222
    Andy_JS said:

Ben Wallace

A Minister of Defence in a government that has destroyed the most valuable economic alliance that we have ever had. Now he sees the need for allies...
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Andy_JS said:

Can't wait to read John Gray's analysis of what's happening in Afghanistan.

Not much to wait for - he basically predicted it all 20 or so years ago.

I suppose the main question left for him is whether western societies actually go on in any form at all or whether they will completely collapse in the face of more powerful and coherant adverseries?

Certainly he had some optimism about Brexit and Trump representing the seeds of a viable post liberal society: yet this must have been severely dashed in 2020 by the woke transformation of society and the aggressive resurgence of progress as a religion.

I don't think he has much left to say - other than we're all fucked.

• Options
    isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

jonny83 said:

Possible lessons:

No 1 there is most pertinent, I think. It doesn't seem to dawn on a lot of people that other cultures don't necessarily want to be just like us....
    Who is arguing that they did ?
    Education, for example, is not an exclusively western value. But for a fragmented society like Afghanistan, any such efforts must take at least a generation.

I think it's forgotten just how little effort was made to impose any values at all, after the original defeat of the Taliban.
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

YoungTurk said:

"

*whispers*
    Does that mean that there actually isn't a special relationship?
    Only if you consider a poodle to have a special relationship to its owner.

"Leave it Fido, or no chlorinated chicken for dinner"
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    edited August 2021
    You mean limit it to 20,000?
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

YoungTurk said:

In any case isn't Kabul about 1000km from open sea?
    There are empty gestures, then there would be this.
    Yes.
    Even the US would struggle to do anything without an Afghan base; the idea that we could project power in this manner is risible.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

Foxy said:
    “ In a parallel universe, Yvette Cooper, Caroline Lucas & Nicola Sturgeon are running the country.”
    Is Scotland only part of “the country” when the Tories aren’t in power?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Trite of course, but why is Johnson not saying anything?
    To avoid being trite?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,353

Leon said:

"Keir Starmer is crap" post alert
    Makes a change from Boris is a lying *** type comments that pepper the site...
  • Options

You mean limit it to 20,000?
    20 000 to female doctors, academics, teachers etc and their immediate families seems a reasonable place to start. Pro rata to population of Canada would be 50 000 ish.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Nigelb said:

I remember a line from a novel about Germany in the 1930s. "Our opponents have one tremendous advantage over us: their absolute shamelessness."

c.f. the Leave campaigns
This discussion has been closed.