Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer edging up in the next PM betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    edited August 2021
    And here we go. Vodafone to reintroduce daily roaming charges in the EU for UK customers from January. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58146039

EDIT: It's not Brexit...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    The desperate, wilful ignorance displayed by Remain voters yet to accept defeat is on display again - first we had Labour losing in 2019 because of Corbyn, when the only thing that changed between 2017 and 2019 was Sir Keir's "Peoples Vote" nonsense. The fact that Labour have had their three worst vote shares in history in the three English constituencies to hold by elections since Jezza left doesn't alter their view at all - it's all to do with Corbyn, not their attempt to wriggle out of respecting the referendum result

Now, after nearly 18 months of a pandemic that has put the world on its arse, they refuse to consider that any unfortunate set of events could be anything to do with that, it has to all be about the vote they lost, even when they are shown evidence from three years ago and last month, that the HGV issue is worldwide, and has been predicted internationally, the blinkers Remain affixed - it has to be because they didn't get their own way

Even when it came to easing restrictions, they had to oppose them and hope that tens of thousands got Covid and the pandemic continued, just so they could score a point on social media against the person who led their opponents to victory
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    del
  • Options
    stodge said:

I must confess it's often the case when I go shopping there's "something" not in stock - usually it's a discounted item which has been bought up.

There can be occasions when outside factors intervene such as weather or traffic problems and I can quite appreciate there may be some logistical problems in Greece currently.

The surprise is to see shortages of bottled water and milk - they aren't items with which you would expect a Tesco's or a Lidl to be struggling but both were short of these items last week.

Crisis? Hardly, Unusual? Yes.

Bottled water seems to be the one. That was the only thing missing in my Waitrose shop yesterday, and the picture often shared on twitter to frighten people into thinking all shelves are empty is one of almost empty water bottles
  • Options
    O/T My friend at a JCP says the universal credit uplift is definitely ending, the confirmation has started appearing in the journals of UC claimants telling them so.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    isam said:

The desperate, wilful ignorance displayed by Remain voters yet to accept defeat is on display again - first we had Labour losing in 2019 because of Corbyn, when the only thing that changed between 2017 and 2019 was Sir Keir's "Peoples Vote" nonsense. The fact that Labour have had their three worst vote shares in history in the three English constituencies to hold by elections since Jezza left doesn't alter their view at all - it's all to do with Corbyn, not their attempt to wriggle out of respecting the referendum result

Now, after nearly 18 months of a pandemic that has put the world on its arse, they refuse to consider that any unfortunate set of events could be anything to do with that, it has to all be about the vote they lost, even when they are shown evidence from three years ago and last month, that the HGV issue is worldwide, and has been predicted internationally, the blinkers Remain affixed - it has to be because they didn't get their own way

Even when it came to easing restrictions, they had to oppose them and hope that tens of thousands got Covid and the pandemic continued, just so they could score a point on social media against the person who led their opponents to victory

Could I suggest you take a few minutes quiet in a darkened room to calm down?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

LBC’s James O’Brien wins Ofcom battle with Institute of Economic Affairs
    https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/aug/09/lbcs-james-obrien-wins-ofcom-battle-with-institute-of-economic-affairs
    The Institute of Economic Affairs has lost a two-year battle with LBC radio presenter James O’Brien over claims the registered charity is a politically motivated lobbying organisation funded by “dark money”.

The IEA complained to media regulator Ofcom that the radio station had made a series of inaccurate and unfair suggestions that the organisation is a professional lobby group of “questionable provenance, with dubious ideas and validity” staffed by people who are not proper experts on their topic.

The free market thinktank particularly objected to O’Brien’s dismissive description of an IEA representative as “some Herbert”, as well as guest Peter Geoghegan’s suggestion that the IEA was “politically biased” during a discussion on the funding of thinktanks.…

LOL.

Oh good. Hopefully someone has a go at the IFS as well. Another think tank that likes to pass itself off as politically neutral and is anything but.
    Its not as tho O'Brien isn't completely up his own fundament. I put him in the same bracket in terms of loathability as Jeremy Kyle and Gordon Brown.
    Was that three messages you just attacked there?
  • Options

O/T My friend at a JCP says the universal credit uplift is definitely ending, the confirmation has started appearing in the journals of UC claimants telling them so.

Lovely. That'll help boost the economy over the next few months not.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Scott_xP said:

MrEd said:

Seeing freight rates up by 35% at the moment, adding an extra $100m of costs. Planning to increase prices from September, around the high single digit / low double-digit levels for a range of products. Said they upped the price of Ariel in Japan by 35%.

The PB brain trust said paying more for transport was great news...
    It is a worldwide issue.

So, their comments mainly related to the States on distribution. There is a big shortage of drivers at the moment, not helped by the fact that Uber and Lyft have upped incentives to attract drivers back and - perhaps more of an issue - the massive explosion in markets in the US and elsewhere of grocery delivery services which are pulling in drivers.

Yes, the UK has problems but, from P&G's standpoint, this is not a "Brexit" things.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152

What day is Johnson's u-turn on this one due? I wouldn't want to miss it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    Big bold differentiation......

NEW: Labour says Johnson’s pledge to cut UK carbon emissions by 68% by 2030 compared with 1990 levels is inadequate and that the target should be 70% minimum

Via @guardian
    https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1424822861903155212?s=20
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    So, I have t9o apologise to @FrancisUrquhart and @MaxPB when I defended the shift of spending away from medal-winning sports on the grounds I thought it was a long-term plan to boost the medal wins in a range of different sports. Turns out it is more like another battle in the culture wars:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/09/team-gb-still-too-white-suburban-sport-england-official
  • Options

The uplift ends next month, so he hasn't got long.
  • Options

Just as food prices start to rise. Good thing BoZo hasn't just spaffed 100k on the walls...

https://twitter.com/JoshBerryComedy/status/1424764096273174536
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Slightly on the topic du jour re empty shelves.

P&G had their results conference call recently. Said rising input costs i.e. commodity costs will add $1.8 billion to their costs for the upcoming year. Seeing freight rates up by 35% at the moment, adding an extra $100m of costs. Planning to increase prices from September, around the high single digit / low double-digit levels for a range of products. Said they upped the price of Ariel in Japan by 35%.

Nothing to see here, says Bank of England.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,328

On the topic of pizzas...

We're thinking of getting an outdoor wood-fired pizza oven. Looking at the Ooni Karu 16 (although there's a waiting list at the moment - no comment!).

Does anyone have any recommendations? Cheers!

Dont. They are furiously expensive and you won't use it as often as you plan to.
  • Options

EXCL: Tories plan a £5,000-a-ticket, black-tie dinner for party donors at Blenheim Palace next month.

The proposal for a gala event to raise £500,000 marks Conservatives' bid to restart in-person fundraising

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/08/09/tories-set-resume-in-person-fundraisers-5000-a-ticket-blenheim/
  • Options
    Here is an idea for a thread header

"Why have Sir Keir's Labour achieved their worst ever vote shares in Hartlepool, Chesham & Amersham, and Batley & Spen, in By Elections this year?"
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,379
    isam said:

stodge said:

I must confess it's often the case when I go shopping there's "something" not in stock - usually it's a discounted item which has been bought up.

There can be occasions when outside factors intervene such as weather or traffic problems and I can quite appreciate there may be some logistical problems in Greece currently.

The surprise is to see shortages of bottled water and milk - they aren't items with which you would expect a Tesco's or a Lidl to be struggling but both were short of these items last week.

Bottled water seems to be the one. That was the only thing missing in my Waitrose shop yesterday, and the picture often shared on twitter to frighten people into thinking all shelves are empty is one of almost empty water bottles
    rubbish
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    MrEd said:

So, I have t9o apologise to @FrancisUrquhart and @MaxPB when I defended the shift of spending away from medal-winning sports on the grounds I thought it was a long-term plan to boost the medal wins in a range of different sports. Turns out it is more like another battle in the culture wars:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/09/team-gb-still-too-white-suburban-sport-england-official

As I said this morning, the shortlist for SPoTY is going to be hideously white.

Just looking at 2012, Nicola Adams was nominated and the double Olympic champions of Trott and Kenny weren’t. I suspect the BBC won’t have any qualms about nominating the boxer Galal Yafai and ignoring the double Olympic champions of Dean and Guy.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    MrEd said:

I thought that battle of the culture war had already been played out, which is why Team GB wasn't going to get into the top ten of the medals table this year (as some around here were forcefully proclaiming).
  • Options

It's going to look even more horrific if they keep the triple lock.
  • Options

He's a last minute, essay crisis guy, so two minutes to midnight on the day in question I suspect.

Will anything dent his teflon coating with the Red Wall voters? I seem to recall big % of northern seat voters are on UC. It's not just the out of work.
  • Options
    Event to involve drinks reception, house tour, banquet & auction.

Sponsor sought to pay for costs, leaving ticket sale revenues for Tories.

Sept 23 pencilled in for event, but party insiders say recent fracas engulfing co-chairman Ben Elliot has hampered plans being firmed up.

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1424828787183788033
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Regarding the UC uplift, this article from the IFS is a good analysis of the current numbers benefiting from it.

https://ifs.org.uk/publications/15528
  • Options

He's a last minute, essay crisis guy, so two minutes to midnight on the day in question I suspect.

Will anything dent his teflon coating with the Red Wall voters? I seem to recall big % of northern seat voters are on UC. It's not just the out of work.
    Indeed and then there's this.

Universal Credit cuts and Energy bill rises a 'perfect storm', warns Citizens Advice
    Energy bills for 15 million households will increase by at least £139 from October.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/universal-credit-cuts-energy-bill-21260510
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    isam said:

"Why have Sir Keir's Labour achieved their worst ever vote shares in Hartlepool, Chesham & Amersham, and Batley & Spen, in By Elections this year?"

Do we really need the header?

There was a point a few months ago where every thread ended with the theme that Starmer is rubbish. BJO would appear out of the shadows to cheer on the Toryboys after dark too.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited August 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Just as food prices start to rise. Good thing BoZo hasn't just spaffed 100k on the walls...

https://twitter.com/JoshBerryComedy/status/1424764096273174536
    Going through with the UC cut would be both politically disastrous for Johnson, given the opposition to it not only from Labour but within his own party, and Brexit-populist luminaries such as Steve Baker, but also morally reprehensible - as well as economically illiterate. Osborne's welfare cuts and the ensuing rises in homelessness and child poverty are the single biggest black mark against the coalition, as Johnson originally showed signs of beginning to understand, when he first came in.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174

Rishi will be able to use this - if confirmed - as a 'justification' to ditch the Triple Lock, as a 'fairness' measure, in the Budget. Ostensibly just for this review (2022/2023) but will end up being permanent. Which is fine by me, Triple Lock is not justified in any case.
  • Options
    isam said:

stodge said:

OMG! Single use plastic bottled water. What's wrong with the tap?

Did you learn nothing when Boris saved the World this afternoon?
  • Options

The most on-brand time for the u-turn is just after the last moment when the reversal is painless. Think of the day-long schooling in January.

Besides, Boris has a neighbour to humiliate first, and making Rishi the Stingy Squillionaire take the blame for making poor people poorer fits the bill perfectly.
  • Options
    isam said:

I look forward to reading your thread, Sam :lol:
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359

isam said:

stodge said:

What's wrong with the tap is that nothing comes out! No water in North Cornwall since 2 this afternoon. Businesses here must be going spare.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    edited August 2021
    tlg86 said:

MrEd said:

Just looking at 2012, Nicola Adams was nominated and the double Olympic champions of Trott and Kenny weren’t. I suspect the BBC won’t have any qualms about nominating the boxer Galal Yafai and ignoring the double Olympic champions of Dean and Guy.
    It'll be Peaty from the swimmers and Jason Kenny from the cyclists I think.
    Whitlock should be in there too. Hamilton if he wins another F1 season...

Not sure of entrants past that tbh.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Nah

Apparently if everybody just chants "It's not Brexit" over and over again, there is no problem...
    So Brexit must be why my mother in law can't get fresh fruit. In Basel.
    That’s obviously because of Switzerland trying to play hardball with the EU.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

isam said:

stodge said:

What's wrong with the tap is that nothing comes out! No water in North Cornwall since 2 this afternoon. Businesses here must be going spare.
    More of a concern than a shortage of Evian in Tesco I would wager.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116
    Cookie said:

isam said:

stodge said:

Crikey, you are having a trip. How’s the youngun’s foot?
  • Options

Cookie said:

isam said:

stodge said:

You cannot get the big bottle pack from Sainsbury's.
  • Options

isam said:

stodge said:

I wasn’t actually shopping for it, I just noticed it was the only empty shelf. But we do buy a ludicrous amount of it, my missus refuses to drink tap water
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

MrEd said:

No Laura Kenny?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

And here we go. Vodafone to reintroduce daily roaming charges in the EU for UK customers from January. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58146039

This was where EU membership was at its most obviously malign.
    As a rest of EU rules, charges are increased on most phone users so that the minority who travel regularly to the continent can be marginally less inconvenienced.
    Roaming charges are irrelevant to almost everyone almost all of the time. They're abolition was a boon to - basically - the elite, and a cost to everyone else. Basically a metaphor for EU membership.
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Cookie said:

isam said:

stodge said:

Are you Marie Antoinette? The peasants in North Cornwall have no tap water- then let them drink 2 litre PET bottles of Aquafina from Sainsbury's...
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

As a rest of EU rules, charges are increased on most phone users so that the minority who travel regularly to the continent can be marginally less inconvenienced.
    Roaming charges are irrelevant to almost everyone almost all of the time. They're abolition was a boon to - basically - the elite, and a cost to everyone else. Basically a metaphor for EU membership.
    *result*
    *Their*
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287

Rishi will be able to use this - if confirmed - as a 'justification' to ditch the Triple Lock, as a 'fairness' measure, in the Budget. Ostensibly just for this review (2022/2023) but will end up being permanent. Which is fine by me, Triple Lock is not justified in any case.
    Can't see that happening myself. Think of the political maelstrom that engulfed George Osborne over the 'granny tax' and that change was rather innocuous as it turned out.
  • Options

Cookie said:

isam said:

stodge said:

Are you Mary Antoinette? The peasants in North Cornwall have no tap water- then let them drink 2 litre PET bottles of Aquafina from Sainsbury's...
    The fact that I only drink bottled is the bona fide confirmation of my status of the liberal metropolitan elite, even more so than the fact I own six pairs of shoes that cost more than £750.
  • Options

Cookie said:

isam said:

stodge said:

Crikey, you are having a trip. How’s the youngun’s foot?
    All glued together, thanks! Though not allowed to get wet for five days. We borrowed a wheelchair today to push her around a low grade theme park, which she was pretty delighted about. Hopefully a verruca sock will arrive tomorrow and we can return to the beach, limping slightly but unbowed.
    We're actually having a brilliant holiday. Absolutely perfect sunset over the Atlantic this evening. Beer having to stand in for tea or coffee and not washing for washing this evening.
  • Options

Can't see that happening myself. Think of the political maelstrom that engulfed George Osborne over the 'granny tax' and that change was rather innocuous as it turned out.
    Yeh, can't see it. Hammer the working class of Red Wall on UC AND hammer the pensioners of the Southern shires in same Budget?

Both will be vetoed by Johnson.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Let us not forget that Nigel Farage has his own OnlyFans account.

As opposed to David Cameron, whose only fans are you and Richard Nabavi.
    There's plenty of us still about judging by the WhatsApp groups I'm part of.

Currently we're like the Jedi in exile after the Revenge of the Sith.

But we will be back.
    Who will be your next Tory leader?
    Jeremy Hunt if I'm lucky.
    Presumably he’ll take Godalming and Ash rather than Farnham and Bordon as that one could be a tricky hold.
    You reckon? We think Farnham and Borden is slightly safer.
    Electoral Calculus think 11,638 maj in Godalming and Ash and 12,085 for Farnham and Borden both safer than the existing SW Surrey.

The first consultation period for England has now ended and the submissions will be published later this year. I know that for Surrey/Hants one alternative being put forward is to put Farnham with Aldershot and Ash. You can then have a SW Surrey seat with the rest of Waverley plus a couple of rural Guildford Borough wards.
    Yes, that's what I thought about the two new seats. Labour has decided we're broadly happy with the proposals in the SE, despite some grumbles here and there: net effect is no change +/-1. Personally I'd prefer Godalming and Farnham (both fairly built-up towns) to stay together with some urban Guilfdord and let Haslemere (which is more of a county town) float off into Hampshire (as some of the local councillors would prefer), but the knock-on effects are complicated and not ideal for us.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    edited August 2021
    isam said:

Well for 50 years everything bad that happens was blamed on the EU, but now it can be blamed on bodged Brexit. Not always correctly of course, but neither was it before.

Brexit is a crock of shite and I shall continue to throw rotten fruit at the Brexiteers from the cheap seats as long as it amuses me.

I haven't noticed any gaps on the shelves locally myself.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    I bought the last big bottle of own brand sparkling water in my local Sainsburys on Saturday sorry not sorry
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

MrEd said:

No Laura Kenny?
    There's arguments for Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish and Beth Shriver too - but getting the most golds and the style he won the Keirin in was fantastic, L Kenny's gold was a team effort with Archibald who individually has just as strong a games as both Laura and Jason.
    I don't think you can leave Jason out, maybe the whole winning golds after being a mum (It's harder than winning medals after becoming a Dad for obvious reasons :D ) might swing a nom in Laura's favour though...
    Shriever's battle without funding story is compelling too though - but that will apply to Worthington also I think ?
  • Options

I bought the last big bottle of own brand sparkling water in my local Sainsburys on Saturday sorry not sorry

Sparkling water is disgusting, I'll rather dehydrate than drink sparkling water.
  • Options

Cookie said:

isam said:

stodge said:

My wife drinks gallons of fizzy bottled water (she gave up drinking alcohol in 2005 and this is essentially her substitute) - I've noticed in the weekly shop multupacks of bottled water being remarkably hard to get hold of recently. Surely not a Brexit issue - all the supermarket own brand fizzy water is British, AFAIUI.
  • Options
    Food shortages are a big problem for BoJo.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

stodge said:

My wife drinks gallons of fizzy bottled water (she gave up drinking alcohol in 2005 and this is essentially her substitute) - I've noticed in the weekly shop multupacks of bottled water being remarkably hard to get hold of recently. Surely not a Brexit issue - all the supermarket own brand fizzy water is British, AFAIUI.
    I did ask my friend at ASDA what the issue is and apparently it is a mixture of Covid-19 and Brexit leading to a shortage of polymer or whatever it is they use to make plastics battles out of.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    edited August 2021
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

stodge said:

Isn't the problem a shortage of CO2, for manufacturing?

Get a Sodastream by the way. Much better.

https://www.gasworld.com/uk-co2-shortage-shows-signs-of-easing-within-weeks/2021428.article
  • Options

To be honest, I think he could do with going on a diet.
  • Options
    Colin Angus
    @VictimOfMaths
    Replying to
    @VictimOfMaths
    Of course there are also geographical differences in terms of vaccine coverage, and these are particularly stark in the US, where county-level coverage varies from 0-100%, while in the UK there is much less variation at Local Authority level.

There are US counties with literally none one vaccinated?

Or is this stats playing tricks?
  • Options
    isam said:

You won, get over it.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Yeh, can't see it. Hammer the working class of Red Wall on UC AND hammer the pensioners of the Southern shires in same Budget?

....if he wants to be challenged by the 1922.

There is no justification for the UC uplift.

Nor is there justification for keeping the triple lock in existing form.

Sound money Conservatives and freedom loving Conservatives are flexing their muscles again. We'll return to fiscal rectitude just as we've got rid of the covid theatre recent weeks.
  • Options

Colin Angus
    @VictimOfMaths
    Replying to
    @VictimOfMaths
    Of course there are also geographical differences in terms of vaccine coverage, and these are particularly stark in the US, where county-level coverage varies from 0-100%, while in the UK there is much less variation at Local Authority level.

There are US counties with literally none one vaccinated?

Or is this stats playing tricks?

Remember some counties in America are very small, some sub <200.
  • Options
    Just wondering if a Brexiteer wants to explain why roaming charges coming back is a good thing
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,050

No,they aren’t as there are not Really any shortages outside of a few FBPE cranks posting undated pics on Twitter

There may be in future but there aren’t any of,any substance yet.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

MrEd said:

No Laura Kenny?
    There's arguments for Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish and Beth Shriver too - but getting the most golds and the style he won the Keirin in was fantastic, L Kenny's gold was a team effort with Archibald who individually has just as strong a games as both Laura and Jason.
    I don't think you can leave Jason out, maybe the whole winning golds after being a mum (It's harder than winning medals after becoming a Dad for obvious reasons :D ) might swing a nom in Laura's favour though...
    Shriever's battle without funding story is compelling too though - but that will apply to Worthington also I think ?
    I’d have thought Laura is nailed on to be nominated having won gold at three Olympics. The BMX girls could be nominated too; I don’t think they impose limits on sports, but if they do then it will hurt Cavendish’s chances.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

MrEd said:

No Laura Kenny?
    I’d have thought Laura is nailed on to be nominated having won gold at three Olympics. The BMX girls could be nominated too; I don’t think they impose limits on sports, but if they do then it will hurt Cavendish’s chances.
    Don't forget about the Scots getting behind Yorkshireman Alistair Brownlee.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    edited August 2021
    Cyclefree said:

I hope no one minds but I am posting this from the last tread

Some time ago there was an extremely controversial discussion re the RNLI rescuing migrants in the English Channel and I said I would contact my local MP, who is also a personal friend, about the issue. He promised to seek clarification from the Home Office, and he has sent their reply to me today.

I promised I would publish the Home Office response on receipt and accordingly I note it below

From The Home Office 4th August 2021

Thank you for your letter of the 15th July to the Home Secretary on behalf of one of your constituents about the Nationality and Borders Bill and the role of the RNLI. I am replying as Minister for Immigration Compliance and Justice.

The Nationality and Borders Bill targets ruthless criminal gangs who put lives at risk by smuggling people across the Channel. It does not change the Government’s approach to existing obligations under international maritime law, including the duty to protect lives at sea. Organizations such as HM Coastguard and RNLI, and individuals, will be able to continue to rescue those in distress at sea as they do now.

The changes are not intended to punish humanitarian actions or to deter people from seeking help from the authorities where they are being exploited and abused. The Government recognises and welcomes the desire of individuals and community groups to help.

We will fully address these issues in policy guidance to ensure that proper account is taken of the circumstances and motives of any individual offering aid and assistance to someone they know have entered the UK illegally; or to be remaining without permission, and that any punitive action is proportionate and in the public interest.

We have a proud track record of helping those facing persecution, oppression and tyranny and we stand by our moral and legal obligations to help innocent people fleeing cruelty around the world. Since 2015, we have resettled almost 25,000 men, women and children seeking refuge from persecution across the world – more than any EU country. We have also welcomed more than 29,000 close relatives through refugee family reunion. In 2019, the UK received more asylum applications from unaccompanied asylum-seeking children than any country in the EU and we were second in 2020

I hope this response has clarified our proposals. Thank you for sharing your constituent’s concerns on this important matter.

END

As it was my header you sent to your MP, let me respond.

1."The changes are not intended to punish humanitarian actions". If this is correct, then there is no need to remove the phrase "for gain" from the legislation. It is this removal which potentially catches organisations such as the RNLI. So why has that phrase been removed?It can only be to catch those not doing it for money. And this, I'm afraid, does potentially catch the RNLI and anyone else acting on a humanitarian basis.

2. "Policy guidance" - as has been demonstrated multiple times over the last year and more, guidance is not law and does not change the law.
    4. There is a second point re this paragraph and it is this: the guidance the Home Office is proposing to issue will only relate to those: "offering aid and assistance to someone they know have entered the UK illegally; or to be remaining without permission." But that does not, please note, include those seeking to enter the country which is what we're concerned about. So this guidance doesn't even purport to address the RNLI's concerns.

It simply does not address the issues raised in my header. If the government were genuine about wishing to exempt the RNLI and similar organisations from even the possibility of being caught by this legislative change, there is a very simple thing it can do: include the RNLI in the exemptions clause in the proposed legislation. The fact that it doesn't even mention this possibility in the response you have received is very telling - and not in a good way.

An "F" for fail from me.

But thank you for posting it.
    Thank you

I will submit your response to my MP for his comments and will advise in due course

I should say as a matter of courtesy if that is OK with you

• Options
    edited August 2021

If the gaps in the shelves get a lot worse, and neighbouring countries aren't seen to be affected in the same way, that is undoubtedly true.
  • Options

Sparkling water is disgusting, I'll rather dehydrate than drink sparkling water.
    Badoit is very nice.
  • Options

Cookie said:

isam said:

stodge said:

Are you Mary Antoinette? The peasants in North Cornwall have no tap water- then let them drink 2 litre PET bottles of Aquafina from Sainsbury's...
    The fact that I only drink bottled is the bona fide confirmation of my status of the liberal metropolitan elite, even more so than the fact I own six pairs of shoes that cost more than £750.
    First impressions count, and shoes are a window on the soul. I am an black Oxford cap man, even down to my steel toe-capped safety shoes for when I go onto landfill sites. Shoes that look like a BMW Z3 are to be avoided.
  • Options
    Tory MPs have lined up to back Rishi Sunak as the defender of fiscal conservativism after Boris Johnson’s threat to sack him, as Treasury sources pushed back against the idea of a carbon tax.

No 10 insisted the prime minister had full confidence in Sunak but his spokesman did not deny Johnson had threatened to demote the chancellor to health secretary amid a row about a leaked letter pushing Johnson to ease Covid restrictions.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/aug/09/tory-mps-back-sunak-after-prime-ministers-threat-to-sack-him?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options

He could do with missing a few meals tbh! (Apologies in advance to SquareRoot2).
  • Options

Just wondering if a Brexiteer wants to explain why roaming charges coming back is a good thing

It will put people off visiting the EU and thereby finding out how much richer, happier and freer its peoples live.

• Options

Cookie said:

isam said:

stodge said:

First impressions count, and shoes are a window on the soul. I am an black Oxford cap man, even down to my steel toe-capped safety shoes for when I go onto landfill sites. Shoes that look like a BMW Z3 are to be avoided.
    I'm wearing loafers these days.

Which apparently is a sign of a mid life crisis, although no tassels as tassels only belong on mortarboards and strippers.
  • Options

Not a Brexiteer, but I imagine the vast majority who spend almost all of their time in the U.K. NOT subsidising people who travel may regard it as a good thing
  • Options

Not a Brexiteer, but I imagine the vast majority who spend almost all of their time in the U.K. NOT subsidising people who travel may regard it as a good thing
    Subsidising what? Vodafone paying themselves?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,328
    edited August 2021
    Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

I will just use whatsapp and if someone isnt on whatsapp.. tough... or in the case of my 92 yr old mother, my sister will have to be present or one of her kids... i am not paying vodaphone a penny more than i have to.

They already make billions. They dont need to charge. They are just greedy.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

The same unwashed masses that voted to Leave? What do they know?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Sound money Conservatives and freedom loving Conservatives are flexing their muscles again. We'll return to fiscal rectitude just as we've got rid of the covid theatre recent weeks.
    What happens if he cuts UC and keeps the triple lock?
  • Options
    It's just that Brexiteers insisted roaming charges would never be reintroduced, just another lie then.

Of course the UK Government if it had any balls could legislate but they won't. Roaming charges are a complete con
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I was very (pleasantly) surprised by the introduction of the UC uplift.

The most surprising thing is that HMG hadn't considered how painful it would be to take it away. On what possibile basis can the government say it was necessary in April 2020 but is not necessary now?
  • Options

Tory MPs have lined up to back Rishi Sunak as the defender of fiscal conservativism after Boris Johnson’s threat to sack him, as Treasury sources pushed back against the idea of a carbon tax.

No 10 insisted the prime minister had full confidence in Sunak but his spokesman did not deny Johnson had threatened to demote the chancellor to health secretary amid a row about a leaked letter pushing Johnson to ease Covid restrictions.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/aug/09/tory-mps-back-sunak-after-prime-ministers-threat-to-sack-him?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Excellent news and a word of warning to those who want Boris gone, be careful what you wish for
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

I suspect 3 are going to get a lot of switchers over this.....
  • Options

Excellent news and a word of warning to those who want Boris gone, be careful what you wish for
    You've changed your tune!
  • Options
    I can't wait for the charges of mobile phones to drop in the UK now we haven't got those pesky roaming charges, because that will happen
  • Options

It's just that Brexiteers insisted roaming charges would never be reintroduced, just another lie then.

Of course the UK Government if it had any balls could legislate but they won't. Roaming charges are a complete con

How are they a complete con?
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Mortimer said:

I was very (pleasantly) surprised by the introduction of the UC uplift.

The most surprising thing is that HMG hadn't considered how painful it would be to take it away. On what possibile basis can the government say it was necessary in April 2020 but is not necessary now?
    It's ecnomic, moral and political madness, but hopefully Johnson will perform another of his famous u-turns at the last minute.
  • Options

There is a cost to roaming.

Why should those who aren't roaming shoulder the costs of those who are?

Why should people like TSE frequently going abroad and using a lot of roaming data, be paid for by those who are staying domestically and not accruing such costs?
  • Options

You've changed your tune!
    Not really

I have made it clear for sometime I want Rishi to takeover and the sooner the better
  • Options
    RobD said:

How are they a complete con?
    Because it really doesn't cost that much your data to use in mature foreign mobile markets.
  • Options

Here's a question for you.

Do you think Vodafone and EE will cut tariffs once roaming charges are back?
    Isn’t the real question what they would have done to raise revenue if they couldn’t have reintroduced them?
  • Options

The reason they’re reintroducing some tariffs that don’t have EU roaming included is so that that can compete at the bottom end of the market. Otherwise they’d be undercut by rivals offering UK-only price plans.
  • Options

Why should people like TSE frequently going abroad and using a lot of roaming data, be paid for by those who are staying domestically and not accruing such costs?
    Philip, I used to work for Vodafone.

There is no cost to Vodafone of you roaming from Vodafone UK onto Vodafone Germany, the costs are moved around the Group.
  • Options

Do you think people's basic subscription price wiil reduce as a result? Cloud cuckoo land...bills never go down.
  • Options

Cookie said:

isam said:

stodge said:

I'm wearing loafers these days.

Which apparently is a sign of a mid life crisis, although no tassels as tassels only belong on mortarboards and strippers.
    Strippers don't wear tassles - burlesque dancers wear tassles. (So I'm told.)
  • Options

Mortimer said:

What happens if he cuts UC and keeps the triple lock?
    That would be plain wrong and I support ending the triple lock notwithstanding I am a pensioner

Furthermore I believe Rishi will deal with it
  • Options

Philip, I used to work for Vodafone.

There is no cost to Vodafone of you roaming from Vodafone UK onto Vodafone Germany, the costs are moved around the Group.
    What about markets where they don’t own infrastructure?
  • Options

Don't you get tired of being wrong on so many different things.

More than six in ten Brits (64%) took a foreign holiday in the 12 months to July 2019, up from 60% the previous year, and the highest figure since 2011.

https://www.abta.com/news/more-brits-heading-holiday
This discussion has been closed.