Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The developing empty shelves narrative could really damage Johnson and his government – politicalbet

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    DougSeal said:

Scotch experts right at the top of government!

Hey PB! "Scotch experts"! After all this time, if we look very hard we may be able to find the joke TUD has been making a few times a day for forever!
    Yet here you are, responding away 'after all this time'.

Actually twerps giving it some 'Scotch is whisky' chat is the perfect confirmation of Scotch expertise since outside of a pal who has lived in NYC for 20 years I've never heard a Scot order a Scotch in my puff.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526

On topic, twelve items weren't delivered in our weekly home delivery yesterday.

Have to admit the Sainsbury's and Waitrose on Western Road in Brighton have been very empty during the last week.

I had to buy Waitrose's own brand water earlier on this week, it is the end of the days.

Oh dear. Is your tap broken? That's unfortunate timing.
    I haven't drunk tap water since probably 1992.

Pennines water can be quite the challenge.

Southern tap water is the most minging of the lot, it has foam in it.

Why would anyone want to drink tap water? Fish fuck in it.
    What do you think is the difference between the water you drink and tap water? On a meaningful scale?
    Cleaner and safer.

Plus the Guardian is anti bottled water so being pro bottled water is good sense.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jun/01/should-i-stop-drinking-bottled-water
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504

MattW said:

Have to admit the Sainsbury's and Waitrose on Western Road in Brighton have been very empty during the last week.

I had to buy Waitrose's own brand water earlier on this week, it is the end of the days.

Sounds like we need a special 1000% tax on bottled water...
    It's already got a 65,000% mark-up.
    I asked at the local supermarket in Cornwall on the weekend....

In a complete surprise, soft drinks, beer, water, ice creams and ice have been flying off the shelves. Also anything vaguely BBQ'able.

I will need to use 100% of the capacity of AWS to compute why this might be.

Oh, and they still seemed to have plenty.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897

pigeon said:

If you don't like tap water, why wouldn't you just get filter fitted?

Because drinking bottled water makes him feel superior to pondlife who use the tap?

Its the i phone syndrome pay more for something inferior to feel superior.

Fake news, I don't need an iPhone or to drink bottled water to know I'm superior than to everybody else.
    Grammatically inferior. Tsk tsk. :smiley:
    I'm blaming auto-correct on my iPad.
    Poor workman who blames his tools.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9811863/Premier-League-stars-match-day-staff-face-compulsory-Covid-jabs-new-government-plan.html

Any players unwilling to be vaccinated would be able to seek an exemption on medical or religious grounds, although the process for doing so has yet to be established.

If that’s true, we’re heading for trouble. What an utter shitshow.

Here's the religious list for vaccinations.

https://www.vumc.org/health-wellness/news-resource-articles/immunizations-and-religion
    I have no problem with people not getting vaccinated for whatever reason.

But it is totally unacceptable to have vaccine passports without banning all anti-vaxxers from society.
    But that is what vaccine passports do. They ban people from society.

I have not been vaxxed and so I will not be able to go to a concert or big football game or travel abroad. It looks like work places will be spared for now so I will retain my livelihood.

YOu will be able to enjoy all sorts of things I won't because you have been vaxxed.

We will be a two-tier society to your benefit, socially.
    There is a simple solution to this.....go and get vaccinated.
    Or drop your draconian demands. You have been double vaxxed, you are safe, and you can choose to visit big events if you wish.

So what is it to you? What danger am I to you?

Double vaccinated people can still catch it, especially from unvaccinated individuals as viral load is much higher. So you are a risk to everybody else.
    Double vaccinated people can still transmit it. So in your speak, because everyone is a risk to everyone else, it totally negates the worth of vaxports.

I would put it as follows: everyone has to accept that mixing in society comes with risks as well as benefits.
    Double vax to double vax was said to be incredibly low rate, said to be a 1 in 200k chance by ONS....much lower viral loads so even better for your vaccinated system to fight it off should you be unlucky.

Indian variant x1000 the viral load, hence why kids getting it and spreading it about, unlike alpha. Everything we can do to reduce viral load is the way forward e.g. everybody vaccinated.

I am not arguing for covid passports by the way, just i don't have any sympathy for those who can be vaccinated saying but i am not going to be and treated like 2nd class citizen.
    What is the acceptable level of risk that you think you should bear to live your life.
    To get vaccinated is incredibly low level of risk.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047
    ydoethur said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9811863/Premier-League-stars-match-day-staff-face-compulsory-Covid-jabs-new-government-plan.html

Any players unwilling to be vaccinated would be able to seek an exemption on medical or religious grounds, although the process for doing so has yet to be established.

https://www.vumc.org/health-wellness/news-resource-articles/immunizations-and-religion

But it is totally unacceptable to have vaccine passports without banning all anti-vaxxers from society.

I have not been vaxxed and so I will not be able to go to a concert or big football game or travel abroad. It looks like work places will be spared for now so I will retain my livelihood.

YOu will be able to enjoy all sorts of things I won't because you have been vaxxed.

Or drop your draconian demands. You have been double vaxxed, you are safe, and you can choose to visit big events if you wish.

Double vaccinated people can still catch it, especially from unvaccinated individuals as viral load is much higher. So you are a risk to everybody else.
    Oh so I have to lose a bunch of the freedoms I was born with to rule out the pretty small eventuality that you might get a bad cold??

Shall I come over there and wipe your backside for you? Do you need your nappy changing? FFS.
    No you need to do it because your selfishness may cause some people to die especially those who can't get vaccinated for valid reasons. So stop being a selfish prat and get vaccinated.
    People who can't get vaccinated can catch covid from the double vaccinated.
    Since you freely admit you could get vaccinated but choose not too, that is totally irrelevant.

Indeed, since there are people who cannot get vaccinated, it is up to the rest of us to try and protect them by getting jabbed.

Because the alternative is perpetual lockdown. Which you also claim to be against.

I have to say I find you the most nauseating hypocrite on this site. And that’s in a field of stiff competition (Topping springs to mind). It’s not just that you’re a hypocrite and a liar, it’s the sheer nastiness with which you abuse other posters, as at 1.03, for pointing out your flaws.

The fact you then whine about getting a ‘dog’s abuse’ is even worse. If you can’t take it, don’t dish it out.
    Well, at least we can live in hope.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Oh so I have to lose a bunch of the freedoms I was born with to rule out the pretty small eventuality that you might get a bad cold??

Shall I come over there and wipe your backside for you? Do you need your nappy changing? FFS.
    No you need to do it because your selfishness may cause some people to die especially those who can't get vaccinated for valid reasons. So stop being a selfish prat and get vaccinated.
    As I said a prat. Yes they can but just like all vaccines if you maximise the number of vaccinated it reduces the amount of virus in the population making it much safer for those not vaccinated. We still get measles and mumps but the numbers are low so it generally protects those unvaccinated. As the number of unvaccinated increases we get outbreaks.

You and your kind are making the lockdown last longer and are killing people because of you stupidity.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Virus rocketing up in Northern Ireland, a ~ 70,000 UK equivalent day there.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,216
    kle4 said:

But did she really believe it or was just talking things up? That might count as an acceptable political fib for sake of morale. Politicians often claim to think certain things will happen, then admit afterwards they knew they were f*cked.
    Well, we've had #Ruth4fm and #Jackson4fm, why spoil a tradition?
    #DRoss4fm it is.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362

Scott_xP said:

I believe Robert is in the process of changing from Vanilla to a new commenting system that requires you to show your vaccine QR code before being able to post.

As long as you are not required to show a Radiohead tattoo
    Much worse than that, when you visit PB the site will automatically play a Radiohead song in the background for as long as you are on the site.
    Can I just say that PB without TSE is like eating pizza without the pineapple! :innocent:
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    Do you need an NHS number to "activate" and get the result of the "My Health Checked" PCR test you can buy in Boots for £65? (I know the data goes to the NHS, but I'm asking whether you need an NHS number, which requires of course that you are registered with the NHS, which not everyone is.)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    edited July 2021

Roger said:

Calling Philip Thompson and the rapid rebuttal unit. Sir Keir Starmer has just said.......

Highest death toll in Europe.

Worst-hit major economy.

Businesses closing.

A million kids off school last week.

Millions to self-isolate.

Boris Johnson let a new variant in and is causing mass confusion on public health advice.

Heading for a summer of chaos.

And Starmer's alternative vision? He engaged his big brain yesterday, it lasted 30 mins until it hit reality and he had to ditch it. Just test everybody every time they want to go out he said, it would be much easier and more effective than vaccine passports...

I genuinely keep waiting for him to step up and start to provide some clear narrative about what he would do different. At the moment it is masks on trains and open a window.
    He proposed a lockdown as the 2nd wave was gearing up. Johnson ignores him because (i) the Telegraph and the Spectator aren't keen and (ii) he doesn't want it to look like Starmer is Captain Foresight, thus undermining the snappy new derisory nickname he's come up with. Upshot - loads die who otherwise wouldn't have. Johnson shrugs and moves on. It's government, Jim, but not as we know it.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Scott_xP said:

The arguments for Brexit were shaky at best. Dom's recent pronouncements have left them in tatters.

Imagine saying nobody could guarantee the effects of the Northern Ireland Protocol when you had denied, on public television, any effects and your expert source was Boris Johnson. https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1418102195724107777 https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status/1418177039421562883/video/1
    Painful.
    That Kwarteng interview was awful. Unlike Robert "the decision has nothing to do with who I sit next to at fundraising dinners: Jenrick, Kwazi is uncomfortable when openly lying.

He knew that what he was saying was utter shit and couldn't hide it. They should send Jenrick out like Comical Ali as the press spokesperson all the time.
    Point of order it's Kwasi, not Kwazi. That's the second time I've noticed you misspelling. Hopefully just an error on your part.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Virus rocketing up in Northern Ireland, a ~ 70,000 UK equivalent day there.

Their lower level of vaccinations compared to the rest of the UK is not going to be helping the situation.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    edited July 2021

Scott_xP said:

I believe Robert is in the process of changing from Vanilla to a new commenting system that requires you to show your vaccine QR code before being able to post.

Much worse than that, when you visit PB the site will automatically play a Radiohead song in the background for as long as you are on the site.
    Actually the plan is to bringing advertising back and to encourage visitors to remain Radiohead will be played whenever the screen doesn't have PB visible front and centre...

(I'm joking and then realised I could write a browser plugin that did just that in about 5 minutes). A wonder if Radiohead is more bearable if 15 different windows are playing different tracks with different start times at the same time.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Here's an interesting thing.

In the US, where guns and morons are common.... A common(ish) accident is the gun-that-was-unloaded-but-bang! Someone is playing around with a gun they think is unloaded, but someone else loaded it. They pull the trigger. Someone dies or gets injured.

This seems to be a one in a million accident (literally).

Yet, if I were to step into my garden and point the Holland & Holland at the neighbours and go "click" - well, I think that some here who are apparently blasé about risk would be screaming.

Why is that? It's an interest thing to work out.....
    That's the difference between hazard (potential danger), risk (non-intentional probabilistic outcome) and threat (intentional outcome, known to perpetrator, not necessarily to target)
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,791

Scott_xP said:

The arguments for Brexit were shaky at best. Dom's recent pronouncements have left them in tatters.

Imagine saying nobody could guarantee the effects of the Northern Ireland Protocol when you had denied, on public television, any effects and your expert source was Boris Johnson. https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1418102195724107777 https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status/1418177039421562883/video/1
    Painful.
    That Kwarteng interview was awful. Unlike Robert "the decision has nothing to do with who I sit next to at fundraising dinners: Jenrick, Kwazi is uncomfortable when openly lying.

He knew that what he was saying was utter shit and couldn't hide it. They should send Jenrick out like Comical Ali as the press spokesperson all the time.
    If the govt line is particularly unsustainable but they want it to hold they send for the Shapps.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Calling Philip Thompson and the rapid rebuttal unit. Sir Keir Starmer has just said.......

Worst-hit major economy.

Businesses closing.

Boris Johnson let a new variant in and is causing mass confusion on public health advice.

And Starmer's alternative vision? He engaged his big brain yesterday, it lasted 30 mins until it hit reality and he had to ditch it. Just test everybody every time they want to go out he said, it would be much easier and more effective than vaccine passports...

I genuinely keep waiting for him to step up and start to provide some clear narrative about what he would do different. At the moment it is masks on trains and open a window.
    He proposed a lockdown as the 2nd wave was gearing up. Johnson ignored him because (i) the Telegraph and the Spectator weren't keen and (ii) he didn't want it to look like Starmer was Captain Foresight, thus undermining the snappy new derisory nickname he'd come up with. Upshot - loads died who otherwise wouldn't have. Johnson shrugs and moves on. It's government, Jim, but not as we know it.
    No, he proposed a 2 week firebreak, which was based on a totally flawed model from the University of Warwick. He was trying Boris type cake-ism. We can have a bit of a lockdown, not for long, and that will fix it.

If he had proposed a proper lockdown, I would have said absolutely. If he had proposed proper border controls over a year ago, I would have said, sensible chap, instead he waited until too late to call for them and even then it is all very fudgy, he still kinda of sort of wants an airbridge approach.

Starmer has flunked it as every turn and that's why the Tories are still 9-10% up. If he had come out with very sensible suggestions ahead of time, he would be winning in the polls. Instead it has been left to the likes of Hunt and Tony Blair to be making sensible constructive criticisms of the government, complete with some solutions.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Double vaccinated people can still transmit it. So in your speak, because everyone is a risk to everyone else, it totally negates the worth of vaxports.

I would put it as follows: everyone has to accept that mixing in society comes with risks as well as benefits.
    Double vax to double vax was said to be incredibly low rate, said to be a 1 in 200k chance by ONS....much lower viral loads so even better for your vaccinated system to fight it off should you be unlucky.

Indian variant x1000 the viral load, hence why kids getting it and spreading it about, unlike alpha. Everything we can do to reduce viral load is the way forward e.g. everybody vaccinated.

I am not arguing for covid passports by the way, just i don't have any sympathy for those who can be vaccinated saying but i am not going to be and treated like 2nd class citizen.
    What is the acceptable level of risk that you think you should bear to live your life.
    And yet, it is still you asking others to do something because you are worried. Wouldn't accepting the risk be the easier course?

The reality is the vast majority are getting jabbed. If we had a real vaccine hesitancy problem, I'd be less sanguine. But we are probably going to be in the top 3 of largeish countries in the world for vax takeup. Maybe even top.

Is it worth depriving others of liberty and putting enormous regulatory issues on to already hard up biz to tickle that up a tiny amount? I say no.
  • Options

kle4 said:

But did she really believe it or was just talking things up? That might count as an acceptable political fib for sake of morale. Politicians often claim to think certain things will happen, then admit afterwards they knew they were f*cked.
    #DRoss4fm it is.
    That's the spirit.

Though they might prefer to go with just Ross, Dross would be funnier.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

pigeon said:

Because drinking bottled water makes him feel superior to pondlife who use the tap?

Fake news, I don't need an iPhone or to drink bottled water to know I'm superior than to everybody else.
    Harsh but fair.

Actually I'm blaming this heat.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054

What do you think is the difference between the water you drink and tap water? On a meaningful scale?
    Cleaner and safer.

Plus the Guardian is anti bottled water so being pro bottled water is good sense.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jun/01/should-i-stop-drinking-bottled-water
    I find bottled water invaluable whilst running. I've tried carrying it cupped in my hands, but it soon spills out. ;)
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

We are in danger of coming to the conclusion that vaccination has failed against delta. This is NOT THE CASE. Yes you can be double jabbed and still get covid, but chances are it will be mild (i.e. not death). Yes you can still shed virus, but likely less than without the vaccination. if we have accepted the idea of social distancing, masks and ventilation to reduce the chance of spread, well vaccination is another weapon to use. Too many seem to think in binary terms about vaccines - either works or not. Not the case.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Worst-hit major economy.

Businesses closing.

He proposed a lockdown as the 2nd wave was gearing up. Johnson ignored him because (i) the Telegraph and the Spectator weren't keen and (ii) he didn't want it to look like Starmer was Captain Foresight, thus undermining the snappy new derisory nickname he'd come up with. Upshot - loads died who otherwise wouldn't have. Johnson shrugs and moves on. It's government, Jim, but not as we know it.
    No, he proposed a flawed 2 week firebreak, which was based on a totally flawed model from the University of Warwick. He was trying Boris type cake-ism. We can have a bit of a lockdown, not for long, and that will fix it.

If he had proposed a proper lockdown, I would have said absolutely. If he had proposed proper border controls over a year ago, I would have said, sensible chap, instead he waited until too late to call for them and even then it is all very fudgy, he still kinda of sort of wants an airbridge approach.
    The evidence on 2 week "firebreaks" in various countries is that it takes that long for the restrictions to begin to bite into the spread of the virus. So you lift the restrictions, again, just as they really begin to take effect.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Eagles, the heat is loathsome.

I slept badly. Overslept, which is rare for me. Hot today.

Yet it's been my most productive day probably of the month. I am unsure what to make of this.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited July 2021
    ydoethur said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Since you freely admit you could get vaccinated but choose not too, that is totally irrelevant.

Indeed, since there are people who cannot get vaccinated, it is up to the rest of us to try and protect them by getting jabbed.

Because the alternative is perpetual lockdown. Which you also claim to be against.

I have to say I find you the most nauseating hypocrite on this site. And that’s in a field of stiff competition (Topping springs to mind). It’s not just that you’re a hypocrite and a liar, it’s the sheer nastiness with which you abuse other posters, as at 1.03, for pointing out your flaws.

The fact you then whine about getting a ‘dog’s abuse’ is even worse. If you can’t take it, don’t dish it out.
    Let's face it, you got vaxxed to protect yourself and to get your own freedoms back, and you are in favour of vaccine passports to protect yourself and others in the club, mostly from getting bad cold from others, vaxxed or unvaxxed.

The parading of your utterly false philanthropy for the 'can't be vaxxed' is, in my view is a prime example of the 'nauseating hypocrite' you dub me.
  • Options
    TimT said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

In the US, where guns and morons are common.... A common(ish) accident is the gun-that-was-unloaded-but-bang! Someone is playing around with a gun they think is unloaded, but someone else loaded it. They pull the trigger. Someone dies or gets injured.

Yet, if I were to step into my garden and point the Holland & Holland at the neighbours and go "click" - well, I think that some here who are apparently blasé about risk would be screaming.

That's the difference between hazard (potential danger), risk (non-intentional probabilistic outcome) and threat (intentional outcome, known to perpetrator, not necessarily to target)
    Indeed. But it is interesting to see the risk perception - the risk of giving someone COVID and them getting a serious illness is comparable to playing with "unloaded" firearms, occasionally.....
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

It's currently 22 degrees in Bristol. Must be close to a record for a night time temperature.

Lucky you. We get that every year in Sweden. It’s called “tropical nights” - when the nighttime temperature does not fall below 20. We’ve just had a fortnight of it. Daytime temp hit 30 several times. You get used to it, but I laugh when my Highland mum describes anything over 16 as “a heatwave “.
    Here in Buchan we have had a long warm spell and some seriously warm and sunny days, but no heatwave. As someone who dislikes extremes of weather I have no problem with missing out on the "extreme heat warning" just as I had no problem staying dry whilst southern England was drowned during the Euros.
    Traditionally, my family holiday in the western Highlands and Islands, but I am seriously considering breaking that tradition and going for the east coast for our next but n ben.
    I adore the north west. I have said "Skye is Scotland" before. But, the NW is biblically wet, infested with midge bastards and overrun with tourists. The NE is blissfully free of all that. OK so the mountains are off in the distance rather than up close and personal. But we have amazing sandy beaches, rugged cliffs with insane villages nestled at the bottom, gorgeous little towns and villages, castles, stone circles and The Queen.
    Spot on.

“ biblically wet, infested with midge bastards and overrun with tourists”

I used to deeply love Ardnamurchan, Mull, Moidart, Appin etc, and further north up to Sutherland, but I’m afraid things have changed. It has been tragic to witness. One used to visit for glorious silence and peace. And the kind hearted locals. Good luck with that now.
    My usual route to N.Uist includes the stretch between the Skye Bridge and Portree; Cuillins apart, I've come to dread it.
    Skye is now overrun, it’s rather sad. That road you mention is particularly grim.

Like others I can remember when it was magnificently lonely.

There is one corner which is still fairly tranquil - and lovely. The Sleat Peninsula in the south. It’s also one of the most interesting bits - Gaelic speaking

I am amazed to hear that even Ardnamurchan is overcrowded. Ardnamurchan??!
    I keep meaning to fit in a trip to Raasay (birthplace of the great Gaelic bard Somhairle MacGill-Eain of coure) but never quite manage to get round to it. I'm sure there are still lots of relatively untouched places out there, largely down to how inconvenient it is to get to them and lack of boutique accommodation.
    Anecdata on Skye accommodation. A friend of mine owns a handsome Croft on a tiny offshore island. He’s done it up in fine style and turned it into ultra-luxury self catering. Very very expensive. Despite the price he’s had excellent publicity and reviews - and now it is fully booked, winter and summer, until... 2023

My ambition is to go to the southern end of the western isles - Uist, Barra, Eriskay. They sound dreamy
    Mmm. Perhaps fly in on the beach airport at Barra?

I'd be tempted to double check the season and go for the blooming of the machair flowers.

And the western beaches are astounding for their length. Not exactly Benidorm, mind. This is in my memory as a ood viewpoint -

https://whaletrail.org/rubha-ardvule
  • Options
    edited July 2021

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Worst-hit major economy.

Businesses closing.

No, he proposed a flawed 2 week firebreak, which was based on a totally flawed model from the University of Warwick. He was trying Boris type cake-ism. We can have a bit of a lockdown, not for long, and that will fix it.

The evidence on 2 week "firebreaks" in various countries is that it takes that long for the restrictions to begin to bite into the spread of the virus. So you lift the restrictions, again, just as they really begin to take effect.
    Yes we all know that, the likes of myself, MaxPB said exactly all this at the time of the pushing for this firebreak idea, that the model was horseshit and that we know behaviourally it won't work.

It is also why the same scientists now said to the government you need to leave at least 5 weeks between changes in unlocking steps. You need that long for the effect to flow through.
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298

I bought an iPhone because it seemed the easiest way to get a smartphone while keeping to my rule of not knowingly allowing Google software to be installed on any of my equipment. Had I known it would be such a piece of crap, though - some of the ways it's crap I still find hard to believe! - I'd have found some other way of keeping to the rule.

• Options
    edited July 2021

Cleaner and safer.

I find bottled water invaluable whilst running. I've tried carrying it cupped in my hands, but it soon spills out. ;)
    A camelbak would be de trop, I assume? Edsit: and also imply filling with the local water company's recyclings.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Worst-hit major economy.

Businesses closing.

Yes we all know that, the likes of myself, MaxPB said exactly all this at the time of the pushing for this firebreak idea, that the model was horseshit and that we know behaviourally it won't work.

It is also why the same scientists now said to the government you need to leave at least 5 weeks between changes in unlocking steps. You need that long for the effect to flow through.
    I said the same at the time :-)

Either do a longer lockdown or don't do it. The shorter lockdown just serves to damage lives in other ways.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313

What distinguishes this government from so many Conservative governments of the past is that this one doesn’t seem to do morality at all. One suspects they think that morality is for lefties. Which is just rubbish. Because Conservatism has always had a moral core, albeit a different one from that of the Left. It honours the implicit moral tone of communities, customs and institutions – monarchy, law, military, the family.

But what do we have with this government? No one can say that Boris has ever made any great play of being constrained by morality, certainly not anything like a Judeo-Christian one. Perhaps he thinks that the air has gone out of this particular balloon. But if that’s the case, another one of the bulwarks of moral Conservativism has been dislodged. I wonder if he thinks that the sense of honour implicit in keeping one’s word is equally old fashioned. Green MP Caroline Lucas is right to be concerned that with Boris Johnson there has been a gradual “normalisation of lying to the house”. And this normalisation is highly corrosive of one of key institutions that Conservatives have traditionally respected: Parliament itself.

I have discovered and nurtured my inner conservative since 2019. People like Roger Scruton have become central to how I look at the world. But the more conservative I become, the less I like the Government.

They have forgotten the values of being conservative. And without those values, the Conservative Party is little more than a vessel for the personal ambitions of the depressingly self-entitled.

https://unherd.com/2021/07/why-ill-never-vote-tory-again/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups[0]=18743&tl_period_type=3&mc_cid=9da8f3203d&mc_eid=836634e34b
  • Options
    edited July 2021

kle4 said:

#DRoss4fm it is.
    Maybe getting ready for Trump-style accusations of 'We wuz robbed' at the election.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Risk vs benefit, there is no conceivable reward for doing the shotgun thing.

There's a legal case whose name escapes me about an English bloke who killed someone with a revolver. He thought they fire and then revolve. It's the other way round. There was an empty chamber under the hammer, and a loaded one, one click anti clockwise. Messy.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Worst-hit major economy.

Businesses closing.

Either do a longer lockdown or don't do it. The shorter lockdown just serves to damage lives in other ways.
    Plus of course inevitably people have "last night of freedom" parties before the fortnight, and "hooray we beat Covid" parties after it, so its really counterproductive.
  • Options

Cleaner and safer.

You had hands to hold t' water? Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuxry

In many actual scientific studies, there is far less crap in tap water than in many of the bottled water brands. Not to mention the chemicals leaching in from the cheapest possible plastics.
  • Options
    Current top Scottish LTLA East Dunbartonshire 84,283 97% 66,085 76%
    Current top English LTLA Broadland 100,447 90.2% 82,483 74.1%
    Current lowest LTLA Westminster 141,521 55.6% 104,019 40.9%

The update pushing everywhere to 2020 mid pop estimates today takes place - Scotland uses ONS and England NIMS right now I believe so I think a whole bunch of English LTLAs will shoot up the rankings.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Yet it's been my most productive day probably of the month. I am unsure what to make of this.

I've overslept quite a few times this last week, a couple of times I was awoken by room cleaning staff.

Have to say a certain genre of films have left with me unrealistic expectations of what would happen next.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Worst-hit major economy.

Businesses closing.

There has been little to no evidence that Starmer really has any original solutions. Hunt correctly identified issues with key workers kids, and that schools needed to stay open for them, and that we needed to stop care home visits. Blair identified that given vaccine supply was tight, going for a longer period between doses might be a better strategy.

Starmer response so far has always been government response is shit, they need to spend even more money, no eyewatering amount is enough, and.....tumbleweed.

The smarter among us could see having your borders open from last March was a dumb idea. Airbridge was an even dumber idea....instead Starmer wibbles about why is this country in this tier, rather than that tier. No, airbridges don't work period....
  • Options

Mortimer said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Double vax to double vax was said to be incredibly low rate, said to be a 1 in 200k chance by ONS....

I am not asking for your sympathy or special treatment. IF you want I would contract out of NHS treatment and take my tax money with me.

All I am asking for is the return of liberties I had for most of my life and regard as rights. You want those rights denied on the spurious premise that they will keep you 'safe'.

But it doesn't work like that does it. When you get knocked down by a bus the ambulance doesn't turn up and the paramedic go 'Oh it's Contrarian, we will just leave him there to bleed to death'. So you can't do that can you?

And anyway this isn't just for you. You also don't have the freedom to drive on the right hand side of the road or do you think you should also have that freedom. How about red lights? Voluntary?

I'm sorry but selfish bastard are the only words that seem to fit
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

As I said a prat. Yes they can but just like all vaccines if you maximise the number of vaccinated it reduces the amount of virus in the population making it much safer for those not vaccinated. We still get measles and mumps but the numbers are low so it generally protects those unvaccinated. As the number of unvaccinated increases we get outbreaks.

You and your kind are making the lockdown last longer and are killing people because of you stupidity.
    Wow me and my 'kind'

I am 100% behind vaccines for measles, mumps, rubella, TB and Polio. Obviously. And I am in favour of vaccination of the vulnerable against covid. Obviously. I am even in favour of making sure I stay away from the 'can't be vaxxed' if that is possible.

Other than that, we should be able to make our own decisions and go about our lives.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Scott_xP said:
    Translation: they haven't a clue what they're doing, so stock up while it lasts. Or something.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Risk vs benefit, there is no conceivable reward for doing the shotgun thing.

There's a legal case whose name escapes me about an English bloke who killed someone with a revolver. He thought they fire and then revolve. It's the other way round. There was an empty chamber under the hammer, and a loaded one, one click anti clockwise. Messy.
    BBBBBBBut it's my right to point firearms at people and go "click" randomly........ Or are you one of those FascistNannyStateCommunistsLibtards?

There is next to no conceivable benefit from *not* having a COVID vaccination.

As to the revolver thing - well, there is one simple truth.

There is no such thing as an unloaded gun. If you handle firearms with that rule, then that class of stupid accident doesn't happen.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,264

Heading for a summer of chaos. - No, we've got one of the best in the world rates of vaccinations, the best in Europe relaxation of restrictions and isolation is due to end last month. If we'd joined the European vaccine scheme like Starmer wanted then we'd be even further behind like the rest of Europe are and have even more dead.

Can I ask why that would be? The EU Vaccine scheme would not have stopped us from creating the Oxford / AZ vaccine. Nor has the EU vaccine scheme has not stopped Germany from vaccinating more people than we have. As always, the big bad EU has far less control than alleged.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

That IS the new QR code.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

kjh said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Wow me and my 'kind'

I am 100% behind vaccines for measles, mumps, rubella, TB and Polio. Obviously. And I am in favour of vaccination of the vulnerable against covid. Obviously. I am even in favour of making sure I stay away from the 'can't be vaxxed' if that is possible.

Other than that, we should be able to make our own decisions and go about our lives.
    Isn't it a bit inconsistent to support total vaccination for measles, but only partial vaccination for covid?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779

Andy_JS said:

O/T

It's currently 22 degrees in Bristol. Must be close to a record for a night time temperature.

Lucky you. We get that every year in Sweden. It’s called “tropical nights” - when the nighttime temperature does not fall below 20. We’ve just had a fortnight of it. Daytime temp hit 30 several times. You get used to it, but I laugh when my Highland mum describes anything over 16 as “a heatwave “.
    Here in Buchan we have had a long warm spell and some seriously warm and sunny days, but no heatwave. As someone who dislikes extremes of weather I have no problem with missing out on the "extreme heat warning" just as I had no problem staying dry whilst southern England was drowned during the Euros.
    Traditionally, my family holiday in the western Highlands and Islands, but I am seriously considering breaking that tradition and going for the east coast for our next but n ben.
    I adore the north west. I have said "Skye is Scotland" before. But, the NW is biblically wet, infested with midge bastards and overrun with tourists. The NE is blissfully free of all that. OK so the mountains are off in the distance rather than up close and personal. But we have amazing sandy beaches, rugged cliffs with insane villages nestled at the bottom, gorgeous little towns and villages, castles, stone circles and The Queen.
    Spot on.

I used to deeply love Ardnamurchan, Mull, Moidart, Appin etc, and further north up to Sutherland, but I’m afraid things have changed. It has been tragic to witness. One used to visit for glorious silence and peace. And the kind hearted locals. Good luck with that now.
    How and why have things changed in that area?
  • Options
    Rees-Mogg has found himself under fire for an off-the-cuff use of the phrase “yellow peril” in the Commons this afternoon. Labour MP Sarah Owen was the first to spot the phrase, tweeting “It is 2021 not 1821!”. Despite the fact the Tories have used the jokey attack line in reference to the LibDems for years, shadow leader Thangam Debbonaire made a point of order 30 minutes later, accusing Rees-Mogg of using an “extremely offensive racist term”.

https://order-order.com/2021/07/22/labour-libdems-absurd-rees-mogg-race-row/

The yellow peril really aren't making it easy for people to vote for them....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Not my point (apart from the fact that it is not zero risk).

What is the acceptable level of risk that *you* think you should bear to live your life.
  • Options

Heading for a summer of chaos. - No, we've got one of the best in the world rates of vaccinations, the best in Europe relaxation of restrictions and isolation is due to end last month. If we'd joined the European vaccine scheme like Starmer wanted then we'd be even further behind like the rest of Europe are and have even more dead.

Can I ask why that would be? The EU Vaccine scheme would not have stopped us from creating the Oxford / AZ vaccine. Nor has the EU vaccine scheme has not stopped Germany from vaccinating more people than we have. As always, the big bad EU has far less control than alleged.
    The facts, IIRC, were that the EU terms for joining the EU vaccination scheme were

- no representation on the planning body for vaccine purchase.
    - no input on where the vaccines would be made.
    - no input on the vaccine distribution - just get given what you are allocated.
    - give us your money.

If that is correct, then it was an offer designed to be refused.
  • Options

Per capita?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

Why would anyone want to drink bottled water? Cows and sheep piss and shit on it.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Mortimer said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Double vax to double vax was said to be incredibly low rate, said to be a 1 in 200k chance by ONS....

I am not asking for your sympathy or special treatment. IF you want I would contract out of NHS treatment and take my tax money with me.

All I am asking for is the return of liberties I had for most of my life and regard as rights. You want those rights denied on the spurious premise that they will keep you 'safe'.

But it doesn't work like that does it. When you get knocked down by a bus the ambulance doesn't turn up and the paramedic go 'Oh it's Contrarian, we will just leave him there to bleed to death'. So you can't do that can you?

And anyway this isn't just for you. You also don't have the freedom to drive on the right hand side of the road or do you think you should also have that freedom. How about red lights? Voluntary?

I'm sorry but selfish bastard are the only words that seem to fit
    I am not asking for the freedom to drive on the right or through red lights. And if the NHS wants to bill me when I have recovered from being knocked down, I will pay.

The government wants to keep all the obligations it imposed on us before covid struck (indeed it wants to increase them) but it does not want to return the freedoms that were the corollary.

I want the old settlement. That is all.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320

kle4 said:

pigeon said:

Harsh but fair.

It is so hot that my front and back doors have actually jammed. Open, but still jammed.

At least, I’m hoping it’s the heat and not a problem with the hinges.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    Out and about alert.

Last night I went into Tescos (which I only did as I nearby anyway and needed their petrol). About 70% masked, but the ones which weren't were all 'younger' including a big bunch of 30odd year old guys.

This lunchtime, was in Waitrose (which I shop at 95% of the time), everyone masked.

Guess which I felt a lot more comfortable in....
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Spot on.

I suspect double track roads and the Skye bridges did not help. But I'll be interested to see SD's perceptions.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Wow me and my 'kind'

Mr Dancer, I am lucky in that I am close to retirement and so can afford to lose my job if I really want to make a stand. I can I guess just drop off the radar and hope the government just forgets me.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/investigations-discovery/hospitalization-death-by-age.html

Death rate ratio compared to 18 - 29:

50-64 years old 35x
    65-74 years old 95x

Your honour no further questions.
  • Options

Cleaner and safer.

In many actual scientific studies, there is far less crap in tap water than in many of the bottled water brands. Not to mention the chemicals leaching in from the cheapest possible plastics.
    I use (or used to, before the Pox) Platypus hydration bags whilst walking. Chemicals leaching from the plastic is the least of my worries if I don't keep them clean. I can get some interesting taste from black mould, though. ;)

(Hint and tip: after use, wash them thoroughly and keep them in the freezer. It stops the mould developing.)
  • Options

kjh said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Wow me and my 'kind'

Yep your kind.

What is the difference between covid and the first 3 on the list. For most people they are harmless. I had all 3 as a child. We do it to protect those for whom it is dangerous. Yet you say obviously! How?

And how on earth do you stay away from those who can't be vaxed. Do you want them to carry a notice around with them?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Meanwhile, in the real world, UK exports in May were at a 16 month high with exports to the EU increasing by 8.8%. But, whatever.
    https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/exports#:~:text=United Kingdom Exports E
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

What is the acceptable level of risk that *you* think you should bear to live your life.
    It's a lower risk to be vaccinated than it is to get COVID. Even when taking into account the chance of actually getting COVID vs 100% of the tiny risks involved with being vaccinated.

If someone is saying they aren't going to get vaccinated because of a balance of risk approach then they need to run their numbers again.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Why would anyone want to drink bottled water? Cows and sheep piss and shit on it.
    Er, depends on the recharge rate. You might be talking about different breeds from today.

They most certainly do in my local tap water. And it's a lot fresher there, so to speak.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Wow me and my 'kind'

Isn't it a bit inconsistent to support total vaccination for measles, but only partial vaccination for covid?
    I don;t think so. because as far as I can see these diseases differ radically in the way they affect people.
  • Options

Out and about alert.

Last night I went into Tescos (which I only did as I nearby anyway and needed their petrol). About 70% masked, but the ones which weren't were all 'younger' including a big bunch of 30odd year old guys.

This lunchtime, was in Waitrose (which I shop at 95% of the time), everyone masked.

Yeah. You need to jolt yourself out of that state. It's not healthy.
  • Options

Cleaner and safer.

I use (or used to, before the Pox) Platypus hydration bags whilst walking. Chemicals leaching from the plastic is the least of my worries if I don't keep them clean. I can get some interesting taste from black mould, though. ;)

(Hint and tip: after use, wash them thoroughly and keep them in the freezer. It stops the mould developing.)
    Eeeew.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:
    Meanwhile, in the real world, UK exports in May were at a 16 month high with exports to the EU increasing by 8.8%. But, whatever.
    https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/exports#:~:text=United Kingdom Exports E
    A sixteen month high?

Trying to work out if something happened in circa February 2020 that might have altered things?
  • Options

RobD said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Wow me and my 'kind'

I don;t think so. because as far as I can see these diseases differ radically in the way they affect people.
    Yes, covid kills far more people. Measles deaths were a few hundred per year before vaccination.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Urquhart, racism's a popular category in the Oppression Olympics.

Which is pretty harmful as actual racism is wretched and should be taken very seriously, rather than diluted by throwing the accusation willy-nilly.

Anyway, I have decided I've sweated enough and am off before I turn into a piece of cheese. Play nicely, everyone.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642

Scott_xP said:

Can I just say that PB without TSE is like eating pizza without the pineapple! :innocent:
    We can do better than that.

PB sans TSE is like Tequila without the worm.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Let's face it, you got vaxxed to protect yourself and to get your own freedoms back, and you are in favour of vaccine passports to protect yourself and others in the club, mostly from getting bad cold from others, vaxxed or unvaxxed.

The parading of your utterly false philanthropy for the 'can't be vaxxed' is, in my view is a prime example of the 'nauseating hypocrite' you dub me.
    I’m not totally sure what this barely coherent post means. I’m starting to think I was a bit generous a while back in saying you had roughly average intelligence. But I will have a guess.

Yes, I got vaxxed so we could unlock. That was the whole point. I am also in a key job and vulnerable to infection, but that wasn’t the deciding point.

Apparently, you don’t want us to unlock. Which is strange given how much time you’ve spent ranting and wailing about lockdown.

As for your last paragraph, we come back to the ‘dog’s abuse’ you dish out but can’t take. You know it’s a lie, and yet you go with it. You don’t care about anyone except yourself. Certainly you don’t care about our freedoms.

In words so simple hopefully even you can understand it:

It’s your right to be opposed to vaccines.

It’s your right to be opposed to lockdowns.

But if you don’t get the first, we’ll keep having the second. That’s not a question of rights, but of practicalities.

So either make your choice or stop whining.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Change of tune from the Graudaian...

Clarkson’s Farm review – Jeremy the ignoramus rides again...1 Star
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jun/11/clarksons-farm-review-jeremy-the-ignoramus-rides-again

The best thing Jeremy’s done: why I can’t wait for more Clarkson’s Farm
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/jul/22/clarksons-farm-best-thing-jeremy-clarkson-has-done-amazon
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

pigeon said:

Harsh but fair.

It is so hot that my front and back doors have actually jammed. Open, but still jammed.

You know I'm properly suffering from this heat when I cannot make a blatant innuendo about the time I jammed someone's back door.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:
    A sixteen month high?

Trying to work out if something happened in circa February 2020 that might have altered things?
    Indeed. And anyone who can seriously suggest that their model has accounted for that little local difficulty has got an agenda to sell you. I think in the case of the Centre for European Reform that agenda is pretty self evident.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    TOPPING said:

Out and about alert.

Maybe, the odd thing is that I'm going to the pub tonight and I'll sitting with people I know happily unmasked.

The fear of the stranger is there and it's irrational, but I expect the majority of people feel like I feel.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

It's a lower risk to be vaccinated than it is to get COVID. Even when taking into account the chance of actually getting COVID vs 100% of the tiny risks involved with being vaccinated.

If someone is saying they aren't going to get vaccinated because of a balance of risk approach then they need to run their numbers again.
    Yep the CDC has ran the numbers and they come out strongly in favour for the even the most marginal group, 12 - 17 year old boys.
  • Options

Cleaner and safer.

An American chap I worked with once, was an old hand at desert work. He used water bags/pouches that had liners that were H2O2 compatible. So, he'd pour H2O2 in, swill it around, and drain, then close it up as is. Apparently there would be enough peroxide left inside to kill any bugs. And a simple rinse out before filling was all that was required...
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

DougSeal said:

Hey PB! "Scotch experts"! After all this time, if we look very hard we may be able to find the joke TUD has been making a few times a day for forever!
    Yet here you are, responding away 'after all this time'.

Actually twerps giving it some 'Scotch is whisky' chat is the perfect confirmation of Scotch expertise since outside of a pal who has lived in NYC for 20 years I've never heard a Scot order a Scotch in my puff.
    All Blackbush fans you mean?
  • Options

Yes , bizarrely I've gotten much less sleep yet had way more energy than usual since Saturday.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Scott_xP said:

Painful.

Point of order it's Kwasi, not Kwazi. That's the second time I've noticed you misspelling. Hopefully just an error on your part.
    I guessed the spelling and had it autocorrected. Happy to use Kwasi going forward when describing how profoundly embarrassed he looked on live TV having to lie through his teeth.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235

kjh said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Wow me and my 'kind'

Why can't you see that you might be vulnerable to covid? Its a fecking lottery. People in the their 20's HAVE DIED, without pre-existing conditions.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Er, depends on the recharge rate. You might be talking about different breeds from today.

They most certainly do in my local tap water. And it's a lot fresher there, so to speak.
    I don't think that there is any water on this planet that has not been urine at some point. Maybe at the bottom of the Antarctica ice shelf. Suggesting that tap water and bottled water is materially different in this respect is a demonstration of an excess of funds in need of purging.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Spot on.

I suspect double track roads and the Skye bridges did not help. But I'll be interested to see SD's perceptions.
    NC500. May camels piss on the bones of the inventor of it. That, and campervan things.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

pigeon said:

Harsh but fair.

Happens to mine in even moderate heat when they're hit by the sun. Don't tell a fireman and itll be fine.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642
    edited July 2021

You ignore the poisonous Brussels' politics around anything in the EU, which would very likely have stopped it.

Have you seen the bootlicking letter that they made the four EU Health Ministers' - the ones who tried to get started on dealing with the pandemic whilst EuCo was twiddling its thumbs - sign when the EU took over? That's the self-regarding style of the place. Followed by vaccine faceplant.

• Options
    They've been setting us up for that for months.
  • Options

I've overslept quite a few times this last week, a couple of times I was awoken by room cleaning staff.

Have to say a certain genre of films have left with me unrealistic expectations of what would happen next.
    Confessions of a Hotel Room Cleaner with Robin Asquith?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Out and about alert.

Maybe, the odd thing is that I'm going to the pub tonight and I'll sitting with people I know happily unmasked.

The fear of the stranger is there and it's irrational, but I expect the majority of people feel like I feel.
    Absolutely. It is, imo, super unhealthy for many reasons.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    RobD said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Wow me and my 'kind'

Yes, covid kills far more people. Measles deaths were a few hundred per year before vaccination.
    Well, if I understand the figures correctly - which given I am not a biologist still less an epidemiologist I may not - measles actually kills around 530,000 a year globally.

Equally, on the most optimistic estimates Covid has killed around eight times that in not much longer a time span.

That fits with a like-for-like CFR of around 0.1% for measles and around 3-4% for Covid, allowing for similar transmission.

I think the problem is Contrarian has got it into his head that Covid is a slightly more virulent form of the common cold. Which it certainly isn’t. In some people it bears a superficial resemblance to a cold - headaches, dizziness, coughing, temperature - but common colds do not attack the circulatory system or internal organs.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

They've been setting us up for that for months.
    I think protection will last longer the younger you are. That said I'm not saying no to a booster, I think they'll be JCVI 50+ though - whereas the USA will probably just run through the entire (willing) population again.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,007
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Spot on.

NC500. May camels piss on the bones of the inventor of it. That, and campervan things.
    What I don't get is the how people look at This is a route for drivers and go let's hire a campervan with the handling of a arthritic whale....
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Is this not just the same point about T-cells again - if you really want active anti-bodies in the blood you're going to need 3 jabs a year forever, but it's far from clear the actual vaccine efficacy mirrors the presence of those antibodies.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cleaner and safer.

Eeeew.
    It can develop remarkably quickly, despite the antibacterial coatings. When backpacking, I always carry a spare Platypus in my pack - to store water if I'm unsure when I can next get it. One hot trip in Wales, I used the Platypus, dried it out as best I could, and put it back into the bottom of my pack. A few days later I got it out, and the pipe was black with mould. It soon ended up in the nearest bin.

Another anecdote: I once went to fill my water bottle from a stream (the Allt Carnach, above Sourlies). I filled the bottle, drunk from the stream, and immediately discovered some naked teenage German venture scouts a few metres above me, resting in the stream. The advice is to check upstream for dead sheep before getting water; never naked boys!

(It was this walk; obviously no piccies of the scouts... http://www.britishwalks.org/walks/2003/501.php )
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    Shame you edited that, @ydoethur .
    "Underpants the figures.." was a splendid autotypo.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

Wow me and my 'kind'

No more people die with covid.

That is generally because they are, on average, 82 with two co-morbidities. For measles, one of the groups most at risk is children under 5. And so, of course, vaccinate.
  • Options
    MattW said:

You ignore the poisonous Brussels' politics around anything in the EU, which would very likely have stopped it.

Have you seen the bootlicking letter that they made the four EU Health Ministers' - the ones who tried to get started on dealing with the pandemic whilst EuCo was twiddling its thumbs - sign when the EU took over? That's the self-regarding style of the place. Followed by vaccine faceplant.

Its really disappointing that the signatures are not in blood.
This discussion has been closed.