Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New betting market – when will LAB next get a poll lead? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,301

A question for the scientists. We are told that adapting the vaccine to a new variant is a really quick process. Delta has been around for 4 months now, why is there not a new version of any of the vaccines to attack delta yet? When should we expect them?

I understand that there is a trial of a modified AZ vaccine targeting the Delta variant. Not sure how long it's expected to run for though.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Alistair said:

Side note: with the highly justified talk of schools closing bringing cases down I am reminded of the (at time extremely heated) discussion on here about how children couldn't get Covid (or at the very least couldn't transmit it).

Great times.

Isn’t there evidence that delta is much more transmissible in children than original Covid?
    Given its been sweeping through schools this wave in a way it didn't before, i think it is nailed on it is.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

Boris is going to end up pissing off everyone, isn't he? From antivaxx nutjobs and zero-Covid nutjobs via wishful thinkers (there are an awful lot of those!) and genuine libertarians right through to the sensible.

*****cks! Boris, the most authoritarian PM ever, and HY, the most authoritarian councillor ever, may have just saved the Tory party.

Fair play to them for coming out and speaking up today. They have my vote sown up. Authoritarian is the way to go, time this dangerous libertarian claptrap was cancelled.
    If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Boris is going to end up pissing off everyone, isn't he? From antivaxx nutjobs and zero-Covid nutjobs via wishful thinkers (there are an awful lot of those!) and genuine libertarians right through to the sensible.

*****cks! Boris, the most authoritarian PM ever, and HY, the most authoritarian councillor ever, may have just saved the Tory party.

Fair play to them for coming out and speaking up today. They have my vote sown up. Authoritarian is the way to go, time this dangerous libertarian claptrap was cancelled.
    If you, HYUFD and authoritarianism are the future of the party then count me and my vote out. 👎

I missed the news conference. Is it just the nightclub passport scheme or was there anything else?
    All events with large crowds will require attendees to have Covid vaccine passports from September, an excellent decision from the PM
    You do realise that you could simply get a QR code belonging to someone else and store it on your phone? Or get someone else to take the vaccine for you. At Wembley the whole process collapsed. The system is not fit for that purpose. It is just theatre.
    Which all costs and takes effort and there are ways to counter forgery, the key thing is it is sending a clear message if you are unjabbed do not expect full freedom as a result
    And the clear message from our side will be that we will make this as difficult and unworkable as possible.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311

Omnium said:

Yes, currently.
    I remember Tony whimsically assuring the PLP that he didn't REALLY wake up every morning trying to think of ways to piss us off...
    And if you had mere suspicions up unto that point....
  • Options
    All we need to put the icing on the cake is we find that reinfection are actually really widespread and not always mild.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204

All we need to put the icing on the cake is we find that reinfection are actually really widespread and not always mild.

Time to step outside, enjoy a balmy evening and try to relax.
  • Options

Time to step outside, enjoy a balmy evening and try to relax.
    Am outside putting a quick 50km on the bike...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

A question for the scientists. We are told that adapting the vaccine to a new variant is a really quick process. Delta has been around for 4 months now, why is there not a new version of any of the vaccines to attack delta yet? When should we expect them?

I understand that there is a trial of a modified AZ vaccine targeting the Delta variant. Not sure how long it's expected to run for though.
    Could be a while the trial is only about 200 people or so to start and it's not against the delta variant, it's against beta. Though there's thought to be a good amount of crossover and a vaccine that stops beta will also be very good against delta.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Aren't we back to the March 2020 policy, with what Van Tam has said today?

🚨| NEW Jonathan Van-Tam advises Brits to try to avoid the "Three Cs", where COVID is most likely to spread:

1. Closed settings (with low ventilation)
    2. Crowded settings (with many people around)
    3. Close-contact settings (especially with strangers)

This will damage places like pubs just at the moment the government is withdrawing financial support.

Do these vaccines bloody work or not? If they don't why are restrictions being lifted? If they do, why this nonsense?

I can see Daughter's business being damaged all over again ... just when she was beginning to see a way out of the last year's nightmare. Grrr .....

I feel for your daughter, I really do. But if the double vaccinated are 60% of the people who are so sick that they require hospitalisation we are so far beyond fucked the hospitality industry is the least of our problems.
    We're sixteen months into this shit and the vaccines are pretty much rolled out now. We need to find a way to live with this.

The virus is going to spread, some people are going to die, some businesses are going to fail. Its absolutely shit but there's no alternative.

If people want to go to bars and restaurants, if people want to go clubbing, then they should. If people want to hide away from crowded, close-contact closed settings then that's their choice too.

We need the freedom to choose and take responsibility for our own lives. Life must go on.
    Well yes, except that our choices have consequences for others when we turn up at casualty and expect treatment ahead of those who have already had their elective treatment deferred.

The way I see this is that those who are double vaxxed are unlikely to get seriously ill or die. Some will require hospitalisation but it is likely to be relatively brief with a favourable outcome.

Those who choose not to be vaxxed are much, much more at risk. Roughly 20x as much. If they are young and healthy that means their risk is still not massive but it is significantly more than it would be with vaccinations. It is in our interests to persuade these muppets to get vaccinated. If they don't hell mend them. They can take the risk in dying. Having given them the choice we need to get on with our lives. But because they will turn up in casualty in disproportionate numbers it is in our interests to do what we can persuade them to stop being so stupid.

That should be the thrust of government policy in my opinion.
    Just read the sodding evidence, including the ONS moving average age-adjusted deaths per 100,000.

The figure is broadly level since 2010, with some variation year to year, e.g. 2018-19 (years are June to May) was a very low winter for respiratory deaths, 2019-20 and 2020-21 were higher than average, largely balancing out.

But never let the facts get in the way of a narrative which sells more vaccines and suppresses 25-50 p pills based on safe 40 year old drugs.

It's trebles all round for pharma boards and shareholders. One wonders how much extra as a result will enter the bank accounts of Whitty, Vallance and van Tam, not to mention certain ministers or ex-ministers.
    Meanwhile, the price of ivermectin has quintupled, despite the only paper that really supports it turning out to be so dodgy that it’s not only been withdrawn, but also “the Egyptian Minister of Higher Education has launched an investigation into the Elgazzar et al ivermectin study which was recently withdrawn after numerous serious questions were raised about it.”

I wonder who are the ones peddling snake oil for money?
    Ask Dr T Lawrie who studies evidence-based medicine for a living. Around 50-60 trials have been carried out. You may be a bit behind the times. There are also other generic drugs incl HCQ, fluvoxamine and doctors have been recommending combinations of them for best results.

Always follow the money. Medicine is so corrupted that the 2020 'Recovery' trial was apparently designed to fail and to discredit HCQ. Worse, in the process some COVID patients died who should have lived - aka manslaughter.

It was alleged that 60% of SAGE have conflicts of interest. It was alleged at the time of Whitty/van Tam/Vallance joining the govt that pharma influence was becoming too great. Will these alleged conflicts ever be investigated? No, it's a cesspit/swamp.

In the USA, where matters are slightly clearer thanks to the degree of FoI legislation, observers consider that the CDC, NIH and FDA are in a state of 'regulatory capture'. Translation: they mostly do what the companies they 'regulate' ask them to do.
    You’ve been repeatedly asked to show a study that wasn’t fraudulent (a study, not someone you’ve found on Youtube).
    You haven’t done so.

You’re also going on about people refusing to accept evidence, which is a bit rich, seeing as you and I both know there’s no evidence you’d accept.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Deleted double post
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,257
    So Liar decides there is no risk and opens up nightclubs. Then says there is so much risk that Covid passports will be required in September.

The Fuck?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    A question about the new nightclub Vax-passports.

If you are immunocompromised, and cant take the vaccine, does this mean you cant go to a nightclub at all ever?

I fully get that it would be a very risky thing for somebody in that condition to do at the moment, and cant imagine may would, however are they allowed to?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    Well, stuff this. I'm going to watch Outlander. The 18th century seems like the appropriate place to be right now.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So 2 jabs needed for nightclub entry from September, glad to see the PM was reading my posts earlier

And a pub. And a football ground, probably, theatre. Anywhere crowded probably. because the PM refused to rule it out.

Medical apartheid. Checkpoint Charlie Britain.

Get jabbed and then you can be free, if not then you will face quarantine for foreign travel and refusal of entry to nightclubs and other large events. Your choice
    No. I have a third choice. I have the choice to fund and vote for a party that will restore my liberty and chuck authoritarian scum like you out of office.
    I am not Hyufd’s No. 1 fan on this site.

But on this, he’s bang on and you’re completely wrong.

There is no party that will ‘restore your liberty’ without your being vaccinated. That is the simple tradeoff they have to make to avoid a major social collapse.

Therefore, if you want to end lockdowns, get jabbed.

If you don’t want get jabbed, stop whining about lockdowns.

Your choice.

But could you please spare the rest of us your hypocrisy?
    I am jabbed. I will never be safer from this damn virus than I am now. But clearly the idea that 'get jabbed and you can be free' is not based on reality. They are not interested in 'free' and nor is HYUFD.

Does anyone seriously think that if the Government had decided against Covid Passports he would not have been on here going on about how right their decision was? He doesn't care what they decide, he just supports whatever it is because it is Tory policy.
    This is about contrarian, not Hyufd. Contrarian, who has consistently abused and threatened those in favour of lockdowns and boasted about his opposition to them, and is now refusing to take the step that could finally bring them to an end.

I have no fundamental objection to principled anti-vaxxers, although I think they’re idiots and I wish they would change their minds. That’s their privilege. I have no objection to people opposed to lockdowns, which after all are to put it mildly less than ideal.

Somebody who claims to be opposed to both is just being a muppet. Doing so in such a self-righteous and arrogant way makes it worse.

He reminds me of the Catholic hierarchy, who oppose contraception and abortion. Well, newsflash guys, in the real world it’s one or the other. And contraception is a lot less damaging.
    On the Catholic thing, isn't the third option homosexuality?

Oh, they don't like that either; or that's what they say, anyway.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    edited July 2021

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Aren't we back to the March 2020 policy, with what Van Tam has said today?

🚨| NEW Jonathan Van-Tam advises Brits to try to avoid the "Three Cs", where COVID is most likely to spread:

1. Closed settings (with low ventilation)
    2. Crowded settings (with many people around)
    3. Close-contact settings (especially with strangers)

This will damage places like pubs just at the moment the government is withdrawing financial support.

Do these vaccines bloody work or not? If they don't why are restrictions being lifted? If they do, why this nonsense?

I can see Daughter's business being damaged all over again ... just when she was beginning to see a way out of the last year's nightmare. Grrr .....

I feel for your daughter, I really do. But if the double vaccinated are 60% of the people who are so sick that they require hospitalisation we are so far beyond fucked the hospitality industry is the least of our problems.
    We're sixteen months into this shit and the vaccines are pretty much rolled out now. We need to find a way to live with this.

The virus is going to spread, some people are going to die, some businesses are going to fail. Its absolutely shit but there's no alternative.

If people want to go to bars and restaurants, if people want to go clubbing, then they should. If people want to hide away from crowded, close-contact closed settings then that's their choice too.

We need the freedom to choose and take responsibility for our own lives. Life must go on.
    Well yes, except that our choices have consequences for others when we turn up at casualty and expect treatment ahead of those who have already had their elective treatment deferred.

The way I see this is that those who are double vaxxed are unlikely to get seriously ill or die. Some will require hospitalisation but it is likely to be relatively brief with a favourable outcome.

Those who choose not to be vaxxed are much, much more at risk. Roughly 20x as much. If they are young and healthy that means their risk is still not massive but it is significantly more than it would be with vaccinations. It is in our interests to persuade these muppets to get vaccinated. If they don't hell mend them. They can take the risk in dying. Having given them the choice we need to get on with our lives. But because they will turn up in casualty in disproportionate numbers it is in our interests to do what we can persuade them to stop being so stupid.

That should be the thrust of government policy in my opinion.
    My option would be to say that the unvaccinated won't be treated in the hospital anymore and that they'll get second rate treatment in a Nightingale Hospital.

If they want treatment we'll still give it, but if they're turning down vaccinations and increasing the strain on the NHS as a result they ought to be the ones who carry the strain.
    Authoritarian is the wrong word for it, we are describing the faction in the country who still has civic and moral duty - the bastions of civic and moral authority. And opinion polling shows we are in the majority.

Meanwhile, in the pirate echo chamber that is PB.com, you are posting things like your previous post.

You are lucky to have us here talking sense to you.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

If you, HYUFD and authoritarianism are the future of the party then count me and my vote out. 👎

I missed the news conference. Is it just the nightclub passport scheme or was there anything else?
    All events with large crowds will require attendees to have Covid vaccine passports from September, an excellent decision from the PM
    You do realise that you could simply get a QR code belonging to someone else and store it on your phone? Or get someone else to take the vaccine for you. At Wembley the whole process collapsed. The system is not fit for that purpose. It is just theatre.
    Which all costs and takes effort and there are ways to counter forgery, the key thing is it is sending a clear message if you are unjabbed do not expect full freedom as a result
    And the clear message from our side will be that we will make this as difficult and unworkable as possible.
    Up to you but as you are the minority the majority who back Covid vaccine passports will still win out
  • Options

So Liar decides there is no risk and opens up nightclubs. Then says there is so much risk that Covid passports will be required in September.

The Fuck?

Nudge unit. We’ve made vaccines available to all, but some have said no. Time to make life harder for them.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Then people will just take back their freedom in acts of civil disobedience simple as that. I am with Richard here. If they implement it we don't take it meekly but put shove a spoke in the wheel as much as possible. Doesn't take that many to withdraw consent and start playing silly buggers to get it crashing down.
    The state, via the police and with the support of the majority will enforce it and nothing you can do about it
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

The Fuck?

They've said risk is lowest in the summer, risk is highest in winter when flu returns.

After September is not summer.

That seems a pretty simple calculation to me.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Then people will just take back their freedom in acts of civil disobedience simple as that. I am with Richard here. If they implement it we don't take it meekly but put shove a spoke in the wheel as much as possible. Doesn't take that many to withdraw consent and start playing silly buggers to get it crashing down.
    The state, via the police and with the support of the majority will enforce it and nothing you can do about it
    Total bollocks you get 1 million resisting you don't have enough police. Nor do you have enough courts or jails so I wouldn't go ordering your jackboots just yet
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I'm just not clear what is going on. We've been told that vaccines work. Not that they give you 100% immunity but that they reduce the chances of getting the disease and, if you get it, of your symptoms.

Now apparently they don't because so many double jabbed people are ending up back in hospital.

Or have I misunderstood?

And as for vax passports, since double vaccination does not stop you getting it (see one Savid Javid), what is the point of requiring proof of a double jab and how effective is it going to be unless you can prove that the person waving the card saying I've had a double dose is in fact the person named on the card ie an ID card?

For instance, my vaccination is in my married name - the name I'm registered with at my GP's. But I do not have any other ID in my married name - no passport or driving licence or anything else. So how reliable is such proof going to be?

The critical question for me is this: if restrictions on businesses are reimposed, will financial support also be given again?

The issue with double jabbed getting to hospital relates to the differential risk associated with getting old. You can both have a much reduced risk, compared to unvaccinated people of your age, and still be much more vulnerable compared to a much younger person. The real place to look is how much reduced the hospital admissions and deaths are compared to previous waves.
    Sadly, we are all getting a lesson in what vaccine efficacy means, and it’s not what most people assumed. I think almost everyone used to think vaccinated means can’t get it. Sadly, not true (and never was).
    In which case it will never get any better than this. Basically people have two simple choices.

1. We accept that Covid is now a part of our lives jut like seasonal flu, that a certain number of people - generally older and suffering underlying conditions - are going to catch it and die each year. Probably several thousand on a good year. We accept annual boosters and otherwise go about our lives as normal.

2. We kid ourselves that we will ever be able to get rid of this virus from the population and so accept never ending restrictions on our liberties and a massively increased intrusion of Government into our lives in pursuit of an unattainable goal of zero covid.

Those are the choices now facing us and anyone who thinks there are any others are just deluded.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So 2 jabs needed for nightclub entry from September, glad to see the PM was reading my posts earlier

And a pub. And a football ground, probably, theatre. Anywhere crowded probably. because the PM refused to rule it out.

Medical apartheid. Checkpoint Charlie Britain.

Get jabbed and then you can be free, if not then you will face quarantine for foreign travel and refusal of entry to nightclubs and other large events. Your choice
    No. I have a third choice. I have the choice to fund and vote for a party that will restore my liberty and chuck authoritarian scum like you out of office.
    I am not Hyufd’s No. 1 fan on this site.

But on this, he’s bang on and you’re completely wrong.

There is no party that will ‘restore your liberty’ without your being vaccinated. That is the simple tradeoff they have to make to avoid a major social collapse.

Therefore, if you want to end lockdowns, get jabbed.

If you don’t want get jabbed, stop whining about lockdowns.

Your choice.

But could you please spare the rest of us your hypocrisy?
    I am jabbed. I will never be safer from this damn virus than I am now. But clearly the idea that 'get jabbed and you can be free' is not based on reality. They are not interested in 'free' and nor is HYUFD.

Does anyone seriously think that if the Government had decided against Covid Passports he would not have been on here going on about how right their decision was? He doesn't care what they decide, he just supports whatever it is because it is Tory policy.
    This is about contrarian, not Hyufd. Contrarian, who has consistently abused and threatened those in favour of lockdowns and boasted about his opposition to them, and is now refusing to take the step that could finally bring them to an end.

I have no fundamental objection to principled anti-vaxxers, although I think they’re idiots and I wish they would change their minds. That’s their privilege. I have no objection to people opposed to lockdowns, which after all are to put it mildly less than ideal.

Somebody who claims to be opposed to both is just being a muppet. Doing so in such a self-righteous and arrogant way makes it worse.

He reminds me of the Catholic hierarchy, who oppose contraception and abortion. Well, newsflash guys, in the real world it’s one or the other. And contraception is a lot less damaging.
    On the Catholic thing, isn't the third option homosexuality?

Oh, they don't like that either; or that's what they say, anyway.
    There is another option, celibacy if not married
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

We don't live in a Police State.

If the public withdraw consent the Police can't enforce it.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,589
    edited July 2021
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

gealbhan said:

My contribution this evening after that news conference

F@!King, F&@kwitted, F&@king Motherf&$kers.

We need a revolution. With a lot of unnecessary and way over the top violence thrown in for good measure.

I missed the news conference. What happened?
    Another Johnson U-turn. He is like the fucking Magic Roundabout.
    Richard, if you come on this evening are reading this, the banned Sean Thomas is now posting impersonating you.
    Chopping the head off Sean is pointless given the number that he has at his disposal.
    You can’t hydra him.
    I occasionally think of him as a prick with a packet of transparent condoms with different names on them.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Total bollocks you get 1 million resisting you don't have enough police. Nor do you have enough courts or jails so I wouldn't go ordering your jackboots just yet
    When the majority of the population are behind the police who have riot gear, water cannons etc and the public are willing informers when needed to protect themselves it is more than enough
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited July 2021
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Happy freedom day!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Up to you but as you are the minority the majority who back Covid vaccine passports will still win out
    Just depends on how far the minority are willing to go to resist. Your majority is soft because most people still believe this is a temporary measure. When they realise it is not - and moreover that it will not stop covid existing - then you will quickly find yourself in the minority
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

When the majority of the population are behind the police who have riot gear, water cannons etc and the public are willing informers when needed to protect themselves it is more than enough
    Bring it on the more you try to crack down the more you send to our side
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Except most of the public do back and consent to mandatory Covid vaccination passports

https://twitter.com/JoeTwyman/status/1417173125100449795?s=20
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

The Fuck?

Nudge unit. We’ve made vaccines available to all, but some have said no. Time to make life harder for them.
    Exactly.

If another three million more get vaccinated then the need for further restrictions disappears.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Bring it on the more you try to crack down the more you send to our side
    Your side is the minority, most people are sick to death of diehard libertarians who think the world revolves around them even in a pandemic
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

On a WhatsApp group with 14 United fans talking about this.

Every single one of them want COVID passports to be used far more widely than just nightclubs, they want them for pubs, football etc. and immediately, not from Sept onwards.

I think you fail to recognise that you may not have a very representative idea of the wider public views on these matters.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Like the poll tax?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296

Anyway, I'm double Pfizered as of today.

So that's something.

32 hours in and no sign of a bad reaction so far.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I'm just not clear what is going on. We've been told that vaccines work. Not that they give you 100% immunity but that they reduce the chances of getting the disease and, if you get it, of your symptoms.

Now apparently they don't because so many double jabbed people are ending up back in hospital.

Or have I misunderstood?

And as for vax passports, since double vaccination does not stop you getting it (see one Savid Javid), what is the point of requiring proof of a double jab and how effective is it going to be unless you can prove that the person waving the card saying I've had a double dose is in fact the person named on the card ie an ID card?

For instance, my vaccination is in my married name - the name I'm registered with at my GP's. But I do not have any other ID in my married name - no passport or driving licence or anything else. So how reliable is such proof going to be?

The critical question for me is this: if restrictions on businesses are reimposed, will financial support also be given again?

The issue with double jabbed getting to hospital relates to the differential risk associated with getting old. You can both have a much reduced risk, compared to unvaccinated people of your age, and still be much more vulnerable compared to a much younger person. The real place to look is how much reduced the hospital admissions and deaths are compared to previous waves.
    Sadly, we are all getting a lesson in what vaccine efficacy means, and it’s not what most people assumed. I think almost everyone used to think vaccinated means can’t get it. Sadly, not true (and never was).
    In which case it will never get any better than this. Basically people have two simple choices.

1. We accept that Covid is now a part of our lives jut like seasonal flu, that a certain number of people - generally older and suffering underlying conditions - are going to catch it and die each year. Probably several thousand on a good year. We accept annual boosters and otherwise go about our lives as normal.

2. We kid ourselves that we will ever be able to get rid of this virus from the population and so accept never ending restrictions on our liberties and a massively increased intrusion of Government into our lives in pursuit of an unattainable goal of zero covid.

Those are the choices now facing us and anyone who thinks there are any others are just deluded.
    I’m more sanguine than that. I think with further boosters, and increasing infection/recovery we will get much lower Covid prevalence and severity. We are not there yet though. We have a lot of unvaccinated people who are currently experiencing the disease for the first time, plus lots with a pump-primed immune system who are in generally better shape to fight it. Some unfortunate souls are double jabbed but very elderly or otherwise compromised and they are getting to hospital.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

You can see your wet dreams in that posting.

Much as you might like it to be otherwise the police do not have water cannon. They are not licensed for use except in NI
  • Options
    Has the Spanish data been commented upon ?

Maybe I'm translating it wrong but the current data:

https://www.mscbs.gob.es/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/documentos/Actualizacion_421_COVID-19.pdf

looks like 6,482 in hospital with covid with 1,039 in ICU whereas a week ago:

https://www.mscbs.gob.es/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/documentos/Actualizacion_416_COVID-19.pdf

it was 3,892 in hospital and 719 in ICU.

If so that's a nasty increase.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    When Johnson’s let rip experiment creates a new dangerous variant hampering progress against Covid - the experiment scientists say is unwise and can create a new variant - that variant is the Johnson variant. And quite rightly called the Johnson Variant, for his error in decision making will have engineered it. That’s how it will be known as it travels the world and written in the history books.

Who says it’s wrong to call it the Johnson Variant?
  • Options

The Fuck?

Exactly.

If another three million more get vaccinated then the need for further restrictions disappears.
    The need disappears. That does not mean the restrictions themselves disappear.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Like the poll tax?
    Most voters opposed the poll tax, most voters back mandatory Covid vaccine passports

• Options
    About 50/50 on masks this evening in Asda.

Bizarrely many of the mask wearers not wearing them properly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Like the poll tax?
    Most voters opposed the poll tax, most voters back mandatory Covid vaccine passports

So what this is not about voting if even 10% refuse to comply with the restrictions there is no way you will be able to enforce them whatever the majority supports
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    BigRich said:

A question about the new nightclub Vax-passports.

If you are immunocompromised, and cant take the vaccine, does this mean you cant go to a nightclub at all ever?

I fully get that it would be a very risky thing for somebody in that condition to do at the moment, and cant imagine may would, however are they allowed to?

I think the categories currently are vaxxed, tested negative, or tested positive (so a prior infection). I don't think that there is a medical exemption category.
  • Options

The Fuck?

Exactly.

The need disappears. That does not mean the restrictions themselves disappear.
    Fair point.

But the best way to get rid of a restriction is not to have it imposed in the first place.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Much as you might like it to be otherwise the police do not have water cannon. They are not licensed for use except in NI
    The public will be wildly in favour of vaxports when they're in use
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

My contribution this evening after that news conference

F@!King, F&@kwitted, F&@king Motherf&$kers.

We need a revolution. With a lot of unnecessary and way over the top violence thrown in for good measure.

I missed the news conference. What happened?
    Another Johnson U-turn. He is like the fucking Magic Roundabout.
    Richard, if you come on this evening are reading this, the banned Sean Thomas is now posting impersonating you.
    I would take that as a compliment. :) Sean is one of half a dozen PBers I am connected to outside of the site itself. I have a great deal of time for them all.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

The government can easily extend their use to mainland GB if needed, plastic baton rounds are already legal by the GB police
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

The public will be wildly in favour of vaxports when they're in use
    No one bats an eye about the vaccine passport you need to send your kids to school.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Racism against the Irish??
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited July 2021
    gealbhan said:

When Johnson’s let rip experiment creates a new dangerous variant hampering progress against Covid - the experiment scientists say is unwise and can create a new variant - that variant is the Johnson variant. And quite rightly called the Johnson Variant, for his error in decision making will have engineered it. That’s how it will be known as it travels the world and written in the history books.

Who says it’s wrong to call it the Johnson Variant?

I find this argument to be self centred bollocks.

The virus is worldwide. Even if we went super hardcore lockdown, it would still mutate all the time in the seven billion other human hosts and the nasty variants will find their way here sooner or later.

Variants aren’t something we can-or-should try to control by government policy.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

The government can easily extend their use to mainland GB if needed, plastic baton rounds are already legal by the GB police
    You’re making me all excited, HYUFD. :smiley:
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

SeanT is like Doctor Who.

He simply regenerates.

Whereas HYUFD simply regurgitates

(Only joking, HY!)
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Like the poll tax?

So what this is not about voting if even 10% refuse to comply with the restrictions there is no way you will be able to enforce them whatever the majority supports
    Easily, the police can shut clubs without mandatory Covid vaccine passport requirements, riot police can deal with the minority who riot
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Vaccine passports come back from the dead and immediately some posters sound excited to get their hands on a camp guard uniform
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,998
    Michael Kill, CEO of the Night Time Industries Association: “So, ‘freedom day’ for night clubs lasted around 17 hours then… what an absolute shambles” https://twitter.com/pkelso/status/1417180513446547466/photo/1

When the history of the war was written, Churchill was a hero.

When the history of Covid is written, BoZo is and always will be a clown.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,998
    NEW: 🇺🇸 CDC places UK on level 4 (its highest level of Covid travel advisory indicating “very high” Covid rates) and advises Americans to “avoid travel to the United Kingdom.” https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1417171841467174919/photo/1
  • Options
    edited July 2021

SeanT is like Doctor Who.

He simply regenerates.

Whereas HYUFD simply regurgitates

(Only joking, HY!)
    Surely more appropriate for scott’n’paste who wanders off to the hunting grounds of twitter and the returns to pb to disgorge his presents for all to see...
  • Options
    ping said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Happy freedom day!
    FREEDUMB DAY :lol:
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Are you for real? Tanks to Scotland and water cannon for the rest of the U.K.? Once you were funny, now you’re terrifying.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Like the poll tax?

Easily, the police can shut clubs without mandatory Covid vaccine passport requirements, riot police can deal with the minority who riot
    Gosh you imagine it would be all crowds gathering how quaint. It would be tying up police resources, making sure they were so stretched they couldn't react just for starters
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Like the poll tax?

Precisely. Like masks, the mask evangelists may have a temporary majority, but if there's a significant element that won't put up with them, they can't be enforced.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Like the poll tax?

Gosh you imagine it would be all crowds gathering how quaint. It would be tying up police resources, making sure they were so stretched they couldn't react just for starters
    Nothing more funds for the police cannot resolve, more volunteer Covid Marshalls and Inspectors can be recruited too with emergency powers to shut venues if not complying, if a real breakdown in public order the army can always be brought in too to restore it
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: 🇺🇸 CDC places UK on level 4 (its highest level of Covid travel advisory indicating “very high” Covid rates) and advises Americans to “avoid travel to the United Kingdom.” https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1417171841467174919/photo/1

This decision is going to aged badly very fast. Given America does way less testing than us and is clearly starting to suffer a massive delta wave itself its kind of "what's the point"
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    edited July 2021
    Surely the simple way to ensure 100% vaccine uptake is this:

If you have been offered a vaccine, and refuse it, and you go on to infect someone with Covid, then they (or their estate) should be able to sue you. Likewise, you should be liable for any health care costs born by the NHS for treating someone you infected.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,320
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

As a conservative party official holding office you disgust me and you do not talk for most conservatives
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

I read that the modified AZ was targeting Beta. Which makes sense if that’s the one they’re REALLY worried about
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    I'd be very surprised if vaccine passports were not a very popular measure. They will also be supported by the opposition. They will likely be de facto compulsory for international travel (both ends).
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Like the poll tax?

Precisely. Like masks, the mask evangelists may have a temporary majority, but if there's a significant element that won't put up with them, they can't be enforced.
    HYUFD has the state as something to reverence, he forgets to a lot of us its just a place to live and we have no particular love for it
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Are you for real? Tanks to Scotland and water cannon for the rest of the U.K.? Once you were funny, now you’re terrifying.
    I have just said he disgusts me

And I despair of him and what he is saying
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Like the poll tax?

Nothing more funds for the police cannot resolve, if a real breakdown in public order the army can always be brought in too to restore it
    There we go. HYUFD has moved on from sending the tanks to crush those uppity Scots and has now extended it to crushing those uppity English as well.

Its no wonder dictatorships find it so easy to get established with useful idiots like him around.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Like the poll tax?

Nothing more funds for the police cannot resolve, if a real breakdown in public order the army can always be brought in too to restore it
    There we go. HYUFD has moved on from sending the tanks to crush those uppity Scots and has now extended it to crushing those uppity English as well.

Its no wonder dictatorships find it so easy to get established with useful idiots like him around.
    I'm not at all sure whether he actually means any of this or just enjoys winding you all up...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Plastic baton rounds? Pah! Discarding sabot, and wait till you see the whites of their eyes.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

If you have been offered a vaccine, and refuse it, and you go on to infect someone with Covid, then they (or their estate) should be able to sue you. Likewise, you should be liable for any health care costs born by the NHS for treating someone you infected.

Impossible to prove in almost all cases, one would surmise.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,257

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Every single one of them want COVID passports to be used far more widely than just nightclubs, they want them for pubs, football etc. and immediately, not from Sept onwards.

I think you fail to recognise that you may not have a very representative idea of the wider public views on these matters.
    I instinctively don't like the idea of Covid passports. But I do understand "why not now" instead of September.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Like the poll tax?

Nothing more funds for the police cannot resolve, more volunteer Covid Marshalls and Inspectors can be recruited too with emergency powers to shut venues if not complying, if a real breakdown in public order the army can always be brought in too to restore it
    Just take a break from your keyboard before you say something that you may regret for the rest of your political career
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Like the poll tax?

You forgot the uppity Spaniards.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Fox has worked out that if all its viewers are dead it's advertising sales probably fall.

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1417178420950220811?s=19

Of course we still await Tucker Carlson's White Power Hour to undo the rest of the day's work.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,731
    Correcting a statistic I gave at the press conference today, 19 July. About 60% of hospitalisations from covid are not from double vaccinated people, rather 60% of hospitalisations from covid are currently from unvaccinated people.

https://twitter.com/uksciencechief/status/1417204235356213252?s=20
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Michael Kill, CEO of the Night Time Industries Association: “So, ‘freedom day’ for night clubs lasted around 17 hours then… what an absolute shambles” https://twitter.com/pkelso/status/1417180513446547466/photo/1

When the history of the war was written, Churchill was a hero.When Churchill wrote the history of the war, he cast himself as the hero.

When the history of Covid is written, BoZo is and always will be a clown.

FTFY :smile:
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

They will likely be de facto compulsory for international travel (both ends).

Almost all countries are likely to adopt the IATA covid passport system, because if a country does not it will be severely limiting the travel destinations of its citizens.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Has it been noted that EuCo has formally vetoed UK paticipation in the Lugano Convention?

Big Brexit thing happened Friday that didn't get much attention: Commission determined the UK was not able to join Lugano convention, which recognises civil courts judgments
    https://www.jurist.org/news/2021/07/eu-blocks-uk-from-joining-cross-border-civil-court-pact/

Personally I wonder whether this is an opportunity to begin to create something broader in scope than the EU, since the EuCo is circling the wagons around Fortress Single Market against the wider world, and engage countries individually.

I believe there is something analagous for business arbitration called the New York Convention.

Not sure how well positioned we are to do that - how extensive is the international reach of UK contract courts?

I'm also not really sure whether I would want USA judgements being recognised, as their legal system is so bonkers :smile: .
  • Options
    The response to covid passports reminds me of the smoking ban in pubs.

Was going to lead to masses of smokers and landlords ignoring the rules, was going to lead to the courts being flooded, would get repealed before it came into force.

Same group of 'libertarians' (who liberty means that they have liberty, not others) seem to be making similar predictions this time having not learnt from those mistakes almost 20 years ago.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

I instinctively don't like the idea of Covid passports. But I do understand "why not now" instead of September.
    To give the young folks time to sign up. If condition of entry to hospitality venues is double vaccination, then implementing it now would disqualify half the clientele (or nearly all of it for many bars and all nightclubs,) and most of the staff as well. You might as well order the sector to close again.
  • Options
    Canada to reopen border to all vaccinated foreign travelers on Sept 7

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1417184805528215561?s=20
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

For all I oppose them I do understand the delay - it is unfair to introduce something until all those who will be effected have had the chance to get their two jabs. That won't be until mid September at the earliest. Jabs for the under 30s were started on June 7th. That means that if they enforce the 11 week gap then they will not start on second jabs for them until the last week of August.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Because the second dose hasn't been offered to everyone which is down to government procurement fuck ups in January and February when we didn't get another 60m Pfizer for Q2/3 and 50m Moderna for Q2 and instead waited around and had to accept Q3/4 delivery for Pfizer and decided to only secure a 7m bump in Moderna despite a lot more being offered.

It would be wrong to introduce vaccine passports before all eligible people have had a chance to get both doses + 2 weeks. I loathe the idea of them in principle, to introduce them now would be completely unfair to everyone under 40 who has been made to wait by virtue of their age.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Correcting a statistic I gave at the press conference today, 19 July. About 60% of hospitalisations from covid are not from double vaccinated people, rather 60% of hospitalisations from covid are currently from unvaccinated people.

That f##k for that......of course we will get 60% eventually, but 12% to 60% in a week...that was proper doo doo time.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,301
    rcs1000 said:

In principle that sounds fine, but our tracing has been so lacklustre that you'd struggle to be able to prove who an infection came from in most cases. There would be too many other potential routes of infection.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

Plastic baton rounds? Pah! Discarding sabot, and wait till you see the whites of their eyes.
    Hey Ishmael, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate badasses will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phased plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...
  • Options

Was going to lead to masses of smokers and landlords ignoring the rules, was going to lead to the courts being flooded, would get repealed before it came into force.

Same group of 'libertarians' (who liberty means that they have liberty, not others) seem to be making similar predictions this time having not learnt from those mistakes almost 20 years ago.

What actually happened is that the ban contributed to the closure of thousands of pubs as people stopped going to them. In the 10 years after the ban more than 11,000 pubs closed in England. By no means entirely due to the ban but it was a massive contributory factor.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Fox has worked out that if all its viewers are dead it's advertising sales probably fall.

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1417178420950220811?s=19

Of course we still await Tucker Carlson's White Power Hour to undo the rest of the day's work.

Expecting a ratings bump for OANN and whatever that other insane one is.
  • Options

That f##k for that......of course we will get 60% eventually, but 12% to 60% in a week...that was proper doo doo time.
    And are the media are correcting their statements on this do you think
  • Options
    edited July 2021

All that furious PB commentary and high blood pressure for almost nothing ... :smiley: .
  • Options

Canada to reopen border to all vaccinated foreign travelers on Sept 7

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1417184805528215561?s=20

Yes, our daughter in law in Vancouver has just WhatsApp us on this
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

gealbhan said:

If you and HY make
    gealbhan said:

For all I oppose them I do understand the delay - it is unfair to introduce something until all those who will be effected have had the chance to get their two jabs. That won't be until mid September at the earliest. Jabs for the under 30s were started on June 7th. That means that if they enforce the 11 week gap then they will not start on second jabs for them until the last week of August.
    Plus two weeks and I think the official date of everyone specifically being contacted was Friday so it's July 16th plus 10 weeks which is September 24th.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Has it been noted that EuCo has formally vetoed UK paticipation in the Lugano Convention?

Big Brexit thing happened Friday that didn't get much attention: Commission determined the UK was not able to join Lugano convention, which recognises civil courts judgments
    https://www.jurist.org/news/2021/07/eu-blocks-uk-from-joining-cross-border-civil-court-pact/

Personally I wonder whether this is an opportunity to begin to create something broader in scope than the EU, since the EuCo is circling the wagons around Fortress Single Market against the wider world, and engage countries individually.

I believe there is something analagous for business arbitration called the New York Convention.

Not sure how well positioned we are to do that - how extensive is the international reach of UK contract courts?

I'm also not really sure whether I would want USA judgements being recognised, as their legal system is so bonkers :smile: .

Cutting off nose to spite face?

In May, several non-governmental organisations and legal experts signed an open letter to the EU calling on it to allow UK accession to Lugano to aid access to justice for victims of corporate human rights abuses. The signatories, including Amnesty International, the International Federation for Human Rights and several highly regarded academic lawyers, observed that: ‘The forum non conveniens doctrine allows a defendant corporation to argue that the most appropriate forum for cases against them is that of the victims’ domicile. This allows the transfer of transnational cases against European companies away from European courts to jurisdictions where claimants are likely to face a variety of additional barriers to accessing justice. The doctrine also provokes jurisdictional arguments that add years to litigation… The EU and its member states have committed to advancing access to judicial remedy for victims of corporate human rights abuses. In light of this international human rights commitment, the UK must be allowed to accede to the Lugano Convention.’

It follows that the main losers in this political posturing will be the ordinary victims of accidents and corporate abuses, consumers and workers, not just within the UK but throughout the EU27.

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=81527893-98fa-48a7-98ea-4e1a32c6856e
  • Options
    edited July 2021

And are the media are correcting their statements on this do you think
    Well the media didn't even question it.....it just didn't sound right, that why i questioned the person who first mentioned it if they heard right.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    edited July 2021
    pigeon said:

I'm not at all sure whether he actually means any of this or just enjoys winding you all up...

To be fair, he always cites polling evidence for his claims - there's always a majority to back every action.

The interesting thing is he never mentions one majority - the one which didn't vote Conservative at the last election.
  • Options

What actually happened is that the ban contributed to the closure of thousands of pubs as people stopped going to them. In the 10 years after the ban more than 11,000 pubs closed in England. By no means entirely due to the ban but it was a massive contributory factor.
    Precisely we had an alternative to pubs and we took it, if we cant do anything except goto the supermarket and work then whole different kettle of halibut
This discussion has been closed.