Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

In the betting it’s about evens that BoJo will re-introduce restrictions by the end of the year – po

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Pagan2 said:

A week - a week! - after he plead guilty to murder, the Metropolitan Police have managed to fire the police officer who murdered Sarah Everard. He was charged *four* months ago, but it's okay, he's been sacked with immediate effect and without notice now. No rush lads.

Innocent until proven guilty, its quite right that they don't prejudge the trial.

Of all the things to criticise the Met for - and there's a lot - this is rather low down the list.
    Pretty sure my firm would have me sacked the day I plead guilty....why give public sector a week. I am merely surprised they just havent suspended him on full pay pending an appeal
    Although in this case its just a formality, they probably have procedures to follow.

Any time I've ever sacked anyone I have always rigorously followed at least giving a 48h notification period to invite them in for a disciplinary meeting, even if its an open and shut case.
    I am pretty sure pleading guilty to murder comes under gross misconduct which has no period whatsoever
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

A week - a week! - after he plead guilty to murder, the Metropolitan Police have managed to fire the police officer who murdered Sarah Everard. He was charged *four* months ago, but it's okay, he's been sacked with immediate effect and without notice now. No rush lads.

Innocent until proven guilty, its quite right that they don't prejudge the trial.

Of all the things to criticise the Met for - and there's a lot - this is rather low down the list.
    Pretty sure my firm would have me sacked the day I plead guilty....why give public sector a week. I am merely surprised they just havent suspended him on full pay pending an appeal
    Although in this case its just a formality, they probably have procedures to follow.

Any time I've ever sacked anyone I have always rigorously followed at least giving a 48h notification period to invite them in for a disciplinary meeting, even if its an open and shut case.
    I am pretty sure pleading guilty to murder comes under gross misconduct which has no period whatsoever
    Any time I've sacked someone for gross misconduct its a case of suspending people pending a disciplinary, then no period after the meeting. Sacking someone for gross misconduct with no notice before the disciplinary can still land you in tricky water can't it?

Probably not here, but as a general rule of thumb its no period after the meeting not before it, isn't it?
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Any time I've sacked someone for gross misconduct its a case of suspending people pending a disciplinary, then no period after the meeting. Sacking someone for gross misconduct with no notice before the disciplinary can still land you in tricky water can't it?

Probably not here, but as a general rule of thumb its no period after the meeting not before it, isn't it?
    Frankly I am cynical as too many public sector workers get away with shit which would see most private sector workers on instant dismissal
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Frankly I am cynical as too many public sector workers get away with shit which would see most private sector workers on instant dismissal
    Pretty sure as well if he is pleading guilty to murder he probably isnt available for a disciplinary
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Foxy said:

FF43 said:

DougSeal said:

My view FWIW

Until recently, the vaccination programme has been described as a race against the virus. If we no longer bother with interventions that keep R less than 1, we are abandoning the race. The virus will win. The question is, how big will its victory be?

We are in the unusual situation where we can make plausible cases for eliminating all controls, keeping the ones we have for some time, or increasing them. We have been in this situation for more than a month.
    No we're no longer bothering with interventions that keep R less than 1 because the vaccines have won the race. We've vaccinated the vulnerable, we've vaccinated all adults that want it.

Now the virus can rip, we've already vaccinated people. Race won.
    A million Brits have had covid in the last 2 weeks according to ONS estimates. At that rate it is going to burn through the Unvaxxed within a couple of months, though some of that million will be the vaxxed.

I cannot avoid exposure at work, but am going to be quite cautious socially for a while yet.
    From the ZOE app, fully vaccinated have been making up 10-15% of the cases, although i think the past few days it is up a bit as a proportion.

Have to be a bit careful as over representation of vaccinated people who sign up to tell others their health status.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    MattW said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

FPT (PPT?)

Leon said:

Just had one of the most extraordinary drinks of my life. Under a tree in Green Park

One of my oldest friends, dating back almost 4 decades, who nearly died of Covid last year, revealed that his fairly unexceptional Chelsea* life - married young, then got ill, and got disability benefit to support his wife and kids - has been a total lie, and all this time he has been a drug dealer to the stars. Class A, supermodels, etc

God bless my friends, who can still turn tricks like this, THEY ROCK

*I have changed details

Lock him up.
    Indeed!

In Gothenburg (pop. about 580,000) the police have recently identified and charged 745 buyers of cocaine, with a further 660 under investigation. Most of these people are well-off, white middle class family folk. They are going to prison, and social services will be getting involved in their children’s’ lives. In other words a shocking tragedy for thousands of affected people.

Imagine if the London police were similarly proactive. Several government ministers would be dragged off to court, and tens of thousands of middle class families devastated.

It is easy to blame the dealers, but the real evil bastards are the smug shits buying the stuff and getting off scot-free.
    In full agreement with Stuart Dickson for once! Wonders will never cease.

What scummy people, thinking they are alright because they are well off.

I met this culture in a couple of city banks back in the day.

The druggies did not even give a thought to the abuse, rape, and murder implicit in the supply chain they chose to help maintain to get their white powder.

And some of them want to lecture others about clothing supply chains and similar. Duh.
    Nah, the real,blame lies with various govts that criminalise it.

Blaming the users but giving a free pass to the dealers is as bad as blaming the dealers and giving a free pass to the users.

People will take cocaine. People will supply cocaine.

The war on drugs is a joke. Legalise it.
    Yep, one way or the other. The middle way clearly doesn’t work.

Either go down the Bangkok/Dubai/Singapore route of throwing the keys away, else legalise it and make tax money.
    It’s happening more and more with marijuana. So,why not cocaine.

Otherwise you get pointless debates blaming users or dealers.
    Your evidence of no difference between soft and hard drugs, and that relaxation of the law on cocaine leads to a magical absence of criminal activity?

Without evidence it is a combination of assumption and wind.

As far as I know, the only places which have decriminalised the possession / sale of minimal quantities of hard drugs are places like Peru and .. er .. Colombia.

Are they free of criminality yet?
    What's the difference between hard and soft drugs? How do you define them? Are alcohol and nicotine hard or soft?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077
    Big old walk in the Chilterns tomorrow. Picnic with friends in Richmond Park Sunday. Wall to wall sunshine

Suddenly life is looking sweeter than it has, in a long time

Enjoy, PB, enjoy
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,147
    edited July 2021

Pagan2 said:

I am not entirely sure PC Couzens would have been able to make himself available for the disciplinary.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Big old walk in the Chilterns tomorrow. Picnic with friends in Richmond Park Sunday. Wall to wall sunshine

Enjoy, PB, enjoy

Are you Keir Starmer?
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

I am not entirely sure PC Couzens would have been able to make himself available for the disciplinary.
    Can hold the disciplinary in absentia after the requisite notice period. He could send a trade union rep if he wanted to on his behalf. 😂
  • Options

MattW said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

FPT (PPT?)

Leon said:

Just had one of the most extraordinary drinks of my life. Under a tree in Green Park

One of my oldest friends, dating back almost 4 decades, who nearly died of Covid last year, revealed that his fairly unexceptional Chelsea* life - married young, then got ill, and got disability benefit to support his wife and kids - has been a total lie, and all this time he has been a drug dealer to the stars. Class A, supermodels, etc

*I have changed details

Lock him up.
    Indeed!

In Gothenburg (pop. about 580,000) the police have recently identified and charged 745 buyers of cocaine, with a further 660 under investigation. Most of these people are well-off, white middle class family folk. They are going to prison, and social services will be getting involved in their children’s’ lives. In other words a shocking tragedy for thousands of affected people.

Imagine if the London police were similarly proactive. Several government ministers would be dragged off to court, and tens of thousands of middle class families devastated.

It is easy to blame the dealers, but the real evil bastards are the smug shits buying the stuff and getting off scot-free.

The druggies did not even give a thought to the abuse, rape, and murder implicit in the supply chain they chose to help maintain to get their white powder.

And some of them want to lecture others about clothing supply chains and similar. Duh.

Blaming the users but giving a free pass to the dealers is as bad as blaming the dealers and giving a free pass to the users.

Either go down the Bangkok/Dubai/Singapore route of throwing the keys away, else legalise it and make tax money.

Your evidence of no difference between soft and hard drugs, and that relaxation of the law on cocaine leads to a magical absence of criminal activity?

As far as I know, the only places which have decriminalised the possession / sale of minimal quantities of hard drugs are places like Peru and .. er .. Colombia.

What's the difference between hard and soft drugs? How do you define them? Are alcohol and nicotine hard or soft?
    Does it have to be either/or?

Spirits are hard, wine and beer is soft.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    Pope Francis angers traditionalist Catholics by restricting the use of the Latin Mass, reimposing post Vatican II restrictions Pope Benedict had relaxed in 2007.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9796479/Traditional-catholics-furious-Pope-Francis-reverses-Benedict-decision-restrict-old-Latin-Mass.html
  • Options

MattW said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

FPT (PPT?)

Leon said:

*I have changed details

Lock him up.
    Indeed!

Enough alcoholics drink beer or wine.
  • Options

MattW said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

FPT (PPT?)

Leon said:

*I have changed details

Lock him up.
    Indeed!

Of course.

They're still not hard liquor.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited July 2021
    Anthony Bourdain documentary sparks backlash for using AI to fake voice

There were a total of three lines of dialogue that Neville wanted Bourdain to narrate, the film-maker explained in his interview.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/jul/16/anthony-bourdain-documentary-ai-voiceover-roadrunner

Outrage....3 lines in the whole documentary....but this tech is coming, its going to be widespread.....
  • Options
    Leon said:

Enjoy, PB, enjoy

On holiday in Northumberland. The weather has been glorious. Rocked up to a bar in Newcastle, we had booked a table (a few weeks ago). "It's aal ower now" the barman says and we have been ordering from the bar :-)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

Enjoy, PB, enjoy

Indeed, had my second jab late this afternoon too and beautiful evening and we had a meal outside with a friend
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Pagan2 said:

Can hold the disciplinary in absentia after the requisite notice period. He could send a trade union rep if he wanted to on his behalf. 😂
    Notice period? I would have thought even the Met. might consider kidnap, rape and murder could perhaps constitute gross misconduct and an immediate, without appeal, dismissal.

I suspect under such circumstances I could have taken a flyer and justified my reasons for dismissal to any VP for HR back in the day.
  • Options

MattW said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

FPT (PPT?)

Leon said:

*I have changed details

Lock him up.
    Indeed!

Of course.

They're still not hard liquor.
    Are they hard drugs or soft drugs though? I was really asking how MattW makes his magic distinction between hard drugs and soft drugs, with reference to two drugs that are currently legal
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594

Leon said:

Enjoy, PB, enjoy

On holiday in Northumberland. The weather has been glorious. Rocked up to a bar in Newcastle, we had booked a table (a few weeks ago). "It's aal ower now" the barman says and we have been ordering from the bar :-)
    Went for a curry with friends on Leicesters usually busy London Rd. 3 tables taken. Excellent food and us much social distancing as a guy could want...
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Notice period? I would have thought even the Met. might consider kidnap, rape and murder could perhaps constitute gross misconduct and an immediate, without appeal, dismissal.

I suspect under such circumstances I could have justified my reasons for dismissal to any VP for HR back in the day.
    I think you can take a guilty plea to murder as sufficient evidence to terminate. In addition, as he is in prison the contract is clearly frustrated.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

I suspect under such circumstances I could have justified my reasons for dismissal to any VP for HR back in the day.
    I think you can take a guilty plea to murder as sufficient evidence to terminate. In addition, as he is in prison the contract is clearly frustrated.
    Philip is clearly a better pastoral manager than I was, and is inclined to grant him leave to appeal. Bless!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,199

Pagan2 said:

He'd also plead guilty to rape and kidnap five weeks or so ago.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Pagan2 said:

I suspect under such circumstances I could have taken a flyer and justified my reasons for dismissal to any VP for HR back in the day.
    Notice for the invitation to the disciplinary meeting, not notice after the meeting.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Philip is clearly a better pastoral manager than I was, and is inclined to grant him leave to appeal. Bless!
    Absolutely I would.

Unofficially I know how that appeal would go, but officially my mind would be open until after the appeal meeting, or the time for the appeal has lapsed.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

A criminal conviction (beyond reasonable doubt) clearly trumps the "reasonable belief" aspect of a disciplinary hearing. If someone is accused of theft you need to put the question to them at a hearing and see what they say. But if you find out they have been convicted, it obviates the need for a hearing. You should terminate without notice or pay in lieu, they can appeal as an ex-employee.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Pagan2 said:

Notice for the invitation to the disciplinary meeting, not notice after the meeting.
    I can't believe I am engaged in such a banal dialogue. The f***** kidnapped, raped and murdered a young lady whilst a serving law enforcement officer. It really doesn't get much more clear cut than that in the realms of employment law!
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

A criminal conviction (beyond reasonable doubt) clearly trumps the "reasonable belief" aspect of a disciplinary hearing. If someone is accused of theft you need to put the question to them at a hearing and see what they say. But if you find out they have been convicted, it obviates the need for a hearing. You should terminate without notice or pay in lieu, they can appeal as an ex-employee.
    Thankfully I've only ever had to sack people because of allegations to which I had the evidence and never because an employee was convicted of murder.

But I find in general if you're going to sack someone it is useful to dot every i and cross every t, no matter how banal it may seem to be. Cutting corners on dismissals isn't necessary if you're doing it right and doing so gets you in bad habits that lead to you being exposed to the cases like that of eg Sharon Shoesmith.

Going to a tribunal (or having a threat of one) and having every bit of paperwork ready to show both that procedures were followed and why the dismissal went ahead makes things easier later on.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959

Pagan2 said:

I can't believe I am engaged in such a banal dialogue. The f***** kidnapped, raped and murdered a young lady whilst a serving law enforcement officer. It really doesn't get much more clear cut than that in the realms of employment law!
    Yes, but did he do those things on his own time? If he did, then surely it's no business of his employer how he spends his time.
  • Options
    I'm the realm of finance, no one is ever fired, they instead accept a cheque and resign.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Yes, but did he do those things on his own time? If he did, then surely it's no business of his employer how he spends his time.
    Are you Cressida Dick? Can I claim my £5?

Maybe in Philip's world he has a right to appeal because his gardening leave was hampered by the removal of his spade as evidence.

A surreal debate!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Maybe in Philip's world he has a right to appeal because his gardening leave was hampered by the removal of his spade as evidence.

A surreal debate!
    I'm saying I cut no corners.

By my policies anyone dismissed has a right to appeal. Having a right to appeal does not mean your appeal will be successful. Its just a box ticking exercise to automatically say you have a right to appeal even if you know full well an appeal is not going to come in or be successful even if it does.

The failure to follow basic policies is how you end up with fuckwits like Sharon Shoesmith getting paid £600,000 when it should have been an open and shut case that she should be dismissed but procedures weren't followed.

When it comes to dismissals etc pick a policy that works and follow it. Even if its just ticking the boxes at times, because when you cease to follow your own procedures as it seems unnecessary, eventually one day it will have been necessary!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,571
    pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

"Wednesday July 7, 10.36pm. England 2 Denmark 1.

The referee’s full-time whistle brings the semi-final to a close and confirms England’s place in their first big tournament final for 55 years. For thousands of England fans only one thing matters now: making sure they are inside Wembley stadium for Sunday’s match — with or without a ticket.

Some of the stewards at Wembley are allegedly already plotting their own money-making venture, according to fans at the Denmark game. One fan, Chris Tucker, says that “at the Denmark game, stewards were telling us they’d let us in for the final for £1,500 each”.

On social media, fans begin exchanging tips on circumventing security to get into the ground. They know that if they can make it in illicitly — known as jibbing — there will be thousands of empty seats because Covid restrictions mean capacity has been capped at 75 per cent. Several hundred join a group on the confidential messaging app Telegram called “The Wembley Jib”, where plans are made for groups to rush barriers and checkpoints manned by stewards."

(£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/979970aa-e568-11eb-a821-58982b1c936d

There needs to be a serious investigation into this. There was clearly failure by the police and alleged corruption by staff.

It could have easily turned into an even bigger disaster.
    We certainly don't deserve to host any football tournaments in the future.

Unless the Times report is totally wrong, it looks like stewards were accepting bribes to let people without tickets and possibly also without Covid tests into the stadium.
    The security perimeter around that stadium was clearly grossly deficient. That's partly the fault of the hopeless Met (though Cressida Dick's forcefield shields officers from censure for almost anything,) and partly, I would imagine, the fault of the FA. It would be fascinating to know if there was a large cohort of well paid and properly trained stewards to try to deal with the crowds (invited and uninvited) or, just maybe, a small band of badly outnumbered, zero hours contract grunts, for whom any bribes offered would've been worth considerably more than their paltry wages. Hmmmm, I wonder...?
    The only sports event I've been to this year was the test match at Edgbaston in June and things seemed to be organised quite well there.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    Wish I'd had @Philip_Thompson . Last time I was sacked, neither I, nor my colleagues had the blindest notion why other than that my manager decided he didn't want me. So we had to go through a legalistic, performative rigmarole which lasted literally days, wasting everyone's time.
    At the end of which he declared he didn't want me. Officially it was "competence". At no stage was any evidence of my lack of competence shown.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

A surreal debate!
    The only question is whether being a murderer and rapist had an impact on his job performance. If it did not, then I don't think the Met has a leg to stand on.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

A surreal debate!
    The only question is whether being a murderer and rapist had an impact on his job performance. If it did not, then I don't think the Met has a leg to stand on.
    Fair comment! Back on duty, first shift Monday it is then.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Wish I'd had @Philip_Thompson . Last time I was sacked, neither I, nor my colleagues had the blindest notion why other than that my manager decided he didn't want me. So we had to go through a legalistic, performative rigmarole which lasted literally days, wasting everyone's time.
    At the end of which he declared he didn't want me. Officially it was "competence". At no stage was any evidence of my lack of competence shown.

That's no way to treat anyone. 👎
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,571

Anthony Bourdain documentary sparks backlash for using AI to fake voice

There were a total of three lines of dialogue that Neville wanted Bourdain to narrate, the film-maker explained in his interview.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/jul/16/anthony-bourdain-documentary-ai-voiceover-roadrunner

Outrage....3 lines in the whole documentary....but this tech is coming, its going to be widespread.....

Just because something "is coming" doesn't mean we should meekly accept it.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

dixiedean said:

We were a small team of 4. I was thr only male, working in the quite difficult realm of child protection.
    I listened to my colleagues, we got on extremely well. I'm still mates with all of them. I took it upon myself to filter our concerns through to our ever revolving cast of managers.
    They complained to the line manager above that I was the "awkward" one. Maybe I was too bolshie?
    None of the team worked there a year after I was gone. They all found other jobs.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

A surreal debate!
    In some countries that is busting for promotion.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Pagan2 said:

I agree, though the other perspective is that the guilty plea makes doing the paperwork not much of a priority since he's not going to be able to turn up to work for several years anyway. I kinda get why some people wait for the criminal process to conclude so there is no risk of any allegation of them interfering, I seem to recall Harold Shipman was only struck off by the GMC after his conviction - even though the evidence of falsifying records etc was more than sufficient long before his case reached a courtroom.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

We were a small team of 4. I was thr only male, working in the quite difficult realm of child protection.
    I listened to my colleagues, we got on extremely well. I'm still mates with all of them. I took it upon myself to filter our concerns through to our ever revolving cast of managers.
    They complained to the line manager above that I was the "awkward" one. Maybe I was too bolshie?
    None of the team worked there a year after I was gone. They all found other jobs.
    I hope you took them to an Employment Tribunal.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    justin124 said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I didn't have the mental strength.
    It is why I cast no stones at anyone wrt Rotherham, Rochdale, etc.
    I can see only too well how it happens.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    A chap at work was given an HR hearing for instant dismissal. I defended him (with help from the PB legal massive). We won. Not guilty on all counts. No instant dismissal.

But management got rid of him anyway. They just had to give him a cheque in lieu of notice.
  • Options

A chap at work was given an HR hearing for instant dismissal. I defended him (with help from the PB legal massive). We won. Not guilty on all counts. No instant dismissal.

But management got rid of him anyway. They just had to give him a cheque in lieu of notice.

Yeah. I got that too.
    Which was nice.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    dixiedean said:

justin124 said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I didn't have the mental strength.
    It is why I cast no stones at anyone wrt Rotherham, Rochdale, etc.
    I can see only too well how it happens.
    That is a shame.
    When I was a College Lecturer I - with a bit of legal input from a friend - took my Manager to the Magistrates' Court under the terms of the Prevention from Criminal Harassment Act 1997. I did not employ a solicitor - but did it all myself. I will always remember the look of absolute terror on my manager's face when she discovered that I had turned up for the Hearing! Doubtless her solicitor had been telling her 'Don't worry. He won't appear.'
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    New thread.
This discussion has been closed.