Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

By-election shock results – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    Could Trump win his case ?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,347

Fuck it. Boris should allow a full house on Sunday.

I suspect most people will have their houses full on Sunday anyway !!!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    edited July 2021
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Maffew said:

Leon said:

The whole world shares in England's joy. That's what I'm feeling tonight. Even from Scotland. Just a glorious altruistic love for England and all that we are: the noblest nation on earth

I am being kept awake by drivers hooting their horns and drunk people yelling "it's fookin coming home." My wife won't let me join in the fun by yelling back that if they don't shut up they won't be going home.

Anyway as a non football fan, I'm happy for the people who are into it, but for god's sake I wish they'd be less obnoxious about it. I'm certainly not getting much joy.
    Meh, big tournaments come up every couple of years, it's not a big deal. And as 10s of millions watch the games at tournaments (I was not amongst them), it reaches a tipping point where it is going to impact people who don't watch or care (same reason I finally got into Line of Duty)
    Other people should just put up with being disturbed? I can't agree with that.
    That's not what I said in the slightest.

And what do you even mean anyway? What's your 'solution' to people being disturbed by things, given obnoxiousness cannot be eliminated?
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    jonny83 said:

Looks like there is going to be a change regarding extremely clinically vulnerable shoulders after 19th July

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1412904748362182661?s=19

I meant 'shielders' , damn auto correct.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Pulpstar said:

Short answer: no.

Longer answer:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,083
    Fuck me footballs coming homr
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    Pulpstar said:

No.

See this Twitter thread.

https://twitter.com/AkivaMCohen/status/1412848065841672198

Also check out his recent tweets.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,376
    Watching the highlights on the BBC!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,425
    edited July 2021
    Maffew said:

Leon said:

The whole world shares in England's joy. That's what I'm feeling tonight. Even from Scotland. Just a glorious altruistic love for England and all that we are: the noblest nation on earth

I am being kept awake by drivers hooting their horns and drunk people yelling "it's fookin coming home." My wife won't let me join in the fun by yelling back that if they don't shut up they won't be going home.

Anyway as a non football fan, I'm happy for the people who are into it, but for god's sake I wish they'd be less obnoxious about it. I'm certainly not getting much joy.
    It's going to be mad until Sunday. Seriously. Just let it wash over you. Because you have no choice

The hysteria would be bad enough in a normal year - given that we are a football-crazy nation that invented the sport but have under-achieved for five decades. But.. after 16 months of unprecedented global misery? When we all had to stay home and be lonely, which is the antithesis of the hugging, kissing, communal, mass-emotional essence of sport?

It is going to be insane. Buckle up

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    What a great night.

Goodnight all. Looking forward to Sunday now.

It's Coming Home.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,094
    Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

What the f*ck is ITV on about, our performance against Germany and Ukraine was miles better

But not on ITV.
    Best performance televised by ITV for ages.
    Just unfortunately less good than most of the England performances on BBC.

I don't want to be labouring this point, though I am. It is ridiculous to believe in it. But the stats are surely well outside the bounds of happened by coincidence. I know correlation doesn't equal causation. But there is clear correlation.
    Lol. They have just landed their most important victory for 55 years. On ITV.

I think it’s fair to say the hoodoo endeth.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I agree with Sandy and others: the period when we played Ole football was possibly the most impressive bit of all

It felt like watching a supremely confident German or Italian side in their pomp, and that is high praise

England now have possibly the best collection of young talent in Europe. Mount, Foden, Sancho, Bellingham, Saka, Hudson-Odoi, Greenwood, Rashford....I could go on....we really aren't the sick man of Europe kick it and rush, if you spill my pint I will bite your legs...we have seriousky world class technical players.
    Yes. The two most talented squads in Europe (the world?) are England and France

When Foden came on - my God. He's brilliant
    I don't quite understand how this happened.
    England had the golden generation, who never really achieved anything, and then when they retired about 2010 the cupboard seemed almost laughably bare.
    Prospects for England ever being any good again seemed remote. Our kids were no longer interested in football, we were told - didn't play it in the streets any more, all the playing fields being built over.
    They even lost to Iceland in 2016.
    And now look - the most talented young squad in Europe.

Presumably this hasn't happened by accident. Presumably a lot of work has gone into youth development. The results are very impressive.

Highly professional academy system and influx of foreign managers with their weird continental ways of working on players technical abilites and also much more advanced tactical systems.
    Yes, I remember when the first reports came in: how the English FA had sat down and said, OK, what are Spain and Italy and France and Germany doing, why is it better than our system, and how do we copy them?

It seemed simple, and promising. It is exactly what we did in the Olympics. We sat down and said Who do we copy, and the answer was AUSTRALIA and so we copied them, and in the last 3 Olympics we have been the best performing medal nation per capita, I think

Copy the best, and then exceed them. That's it. And it is basically what every great performer/artist does.

It appears we might now be doing it, finally, in soccer. Yay
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Boris needs to call on all city mayors to open up fan parks for Sunday. Fucking get an emergency law in and force them into it if necessary. Sadiq is a c*** and will revel in being as anti-fun as possible. Come on Boris, show us you understand England. Open up the fan parks.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I agree with Sandy and others: the period when we played Ole football was possibly the most impressive bit of all

It felt like watching a supremely confident German or Italian side in their pomp, and that is high praise

England now have possibly the best collection of young talent in Europe. Mount, Foden, Sancho, Bellingham, Saka, Hudson-Odoi, Greenwood, Rashford....I could go on....we really aren't the sick man of Europe kick it and rush, if you spill my pint I will bite your legs...we have seriousky world class technical players.

England had the golden generation, who never really achieved anything, and then when they retired about 2010 the cupboard seemed almost laughably bare.
    Prospects for England ever being any good again seemed remote. Our kids were no longer interested in football, we were told - didn't play it in the streets any more, all the playing fields being built over.

Presumably this hasn't happened by accident. Presumably a lot of work has gone into youth development. The results are very impressive.

Highly professional academy system and influx of foreign managers with their weird continental ways of working on players technical abilites and also much more advanced tactical systems.
    Yes, I remember when the first reports came in: how the English FA had sat down and said, OK, what are Spain and Italy and France and Germany doing, why is it better than our system, and how do we copy them?

It seemed simple, and promising. It is exactly what we did in the Olympics. We sat down and said Who do we copy, and the answer was AUSTRALIA and so we copied them, and in the last 3 Olympics we have been the best performing medal nation per capita, I think

Copy the best, and then excel them. That's it. And it is basically what every great performer/artist does.

Medals per capita seems unlikely, but it was certainly a very impressive improvement - second place (in golds) seems like it will be the high mark for some time, doubt we'll get close for awhile.

What nations need to do is put all their effort into getting a decent swimmer, you can clean up a lot of medals that way.

Pretty sure India will be at the bottom of the medals per capita list.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Copy the best, and then exceed them. That's it. And it is basically what every great performer/artist does.

Unfortunately this Olympics, particularly athletics Team GB is weakest its been for a number of games.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I am sorry Denmark lost . I was rather hoping they would win the competition. Now I don't give a damn - not that I ever did really!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Copy the best, and then excel them. That's it. And it is basically what every great performer/artist does.

Medals per capita seems unlikely, but it was certainly a very impressive improvement - second place (in golds) seems like it will be the high mark for some time, doubt we'll get close for awhile.

What nations need to do is put all their effort into getting a decent swimmer, you can clean up a lot of medals that way.

Yes, probably the wrong metric, but you know what I mean. For three Olympics in a row Team GB has arguably done better than anyone

Coming second at the last one was ridic

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Unfortunately this Olympics, particularly athletics Team GB is weakest its been for a number of games.
    Does Richardson (frankly ludicrous) exclusion help Asher Smith.
    Do we have any male hopefuls at all ?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Does Richardson (frankly ludicrous) exclusion help Asher Smith.
    Do we have any male hopefuls at all ?
    Adam Gemili is always there or there abouts in the 200m for 3-4-5th.

On the women's side a half fit Katarina Johnson-Thompson I think is best hope. Laura Muir perhaps.

Not much more than that really.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes, probably the wrong metric, but you know what I mean. For three Olympics in a row Team GB has arguably done better than anyone

Coming second at the last one was ridic

I remember reading that the GB Olympic bosses zeroed in sports where high tech equipment was a significant contributor to success, which meant that the pool of

competitive countries was much smaller. This was why they targeted cycling and rowing.
    They also went after other sports that for cultural or historic reasons weren't competed for by many countries, e.g. gymnastics.
  • Options
    This thread has been shut down like Italy will do to England on Sunday.....
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A lot of credit goes to the guy who headed up the revamp of England youth development and then the Under 21s: Gareth Southgate.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

Leon said:

English players are role models.

Scottish players are degenerates.

Claims Leigh Griffiths sent flirty messages to 15-year-old girl being probed by cops

The Scotland international is accused of sending a string of private messages on Instagram to the young footballer who plays for a premiership side.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/claims-leigh-griffiths-sent-flirty-24483537

No wonder Malcolm was so grumpy earlier on tonight.
    Adam Johnson case comes to mind.
    I still think the most hilarious chant of all time is "Oh Adam Johnson... you're going down for noncing!"
This discussion has been closed.