Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Some of the front pages following BoJo’s big COVID gamble – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited July 2021 in General
imageSome of the front pages following BoJo’s big COVID gamble – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    First
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Has a fox ever been shotter than contrarian's? T & P.
  • Options
    Somebody messaged me earlier.

'Today's the day Boris Johnson won the next election or keeps the Tories out of power for a generation.'

I'm leaning towards the former.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Interesting how personalised on Johnson this is. Johnson's gamble etc etc.

If this goes totally tits up in early September he's in a bit of trouble.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    edited July 2021
    FPT:

"The combination of Boris Derangement Syndrome, Zerocovidianism, and the intellectual hatred of England that Orwell remarked upon is a heady intoxicant."

Made me :lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    rkrkrk said:

gealbhan said:

glw said:

Focusing purely on this country, what has the opposition actually argued for in the pandemic? Basically all they've done is said they'd have done things "better". They'd have made test and trace better, they'd have had a better vaccine rollout, they'd have had a better furlough scheme, they'd have had better border controls, they'd have made better decisions based on "the science". It's just cheap talk. I'm not sure at any point they've ever really contributed much original to the whole handling of the pandemic, or even explained how those things could actually have been done better, just that they ought to have been.

Hey, maybe they really would have just done everything better, or maybe it'd have just been exactly the same but with different personalities. We'll never know.

The opposition has been consistently shit, and has made essentially no useful contributions at all. I think given the job the opposition would have actually been worse than the Tories, because Boris doesn't do micro-managing or follow any doctrine, so to an extent his lack of principles and laziness has at least enabled competent people to get on with the job without the PM messing them around. I think any opposition government would have interfered quite a bit more.
    you, Pirate Britain Libertarian Right Wing Populists. You deserve a proper talking down to on the politics and science of this.

Where the government are this evening is ignorant and wrong. Where Starmer and Labour are this evening is spot on. Clear pandemic water between the two main party’s now. The government are no longer following science at all, this simply about the politics of over promising in the first place and having too many looneys on the back benches.

Here’s scientific fact for you, we need masks and other measures to protect the vaccines, just allowing infections to rip in a mostly doubled jabbed population erodes the efficacy of the vaccines. That is science fact.

It’s totally irresponsible of government not to lead on mask wearing, and to open up so quickly. They are simply sloping shoulders onto business how to protect employees and customers, not taking the lead. The government are murdering the still much needed test and trace and isolating, and that is disgraceful at this stage.
    "allowing infections to rip in a mostly doubled jabbed population erodes the efficacy of the vaccines"

How does that work?
    I think the ideal scenario to create a vaccine resistant virus would be high rates of transmission in a partially immunized population. Which is not totally different from the situation we have now?

This seems to be what Sharon Peacock is saying here:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-19-variants-vaccine-setback-1.6046643
    That's simply not true, and the problem is that you are thinking of this like a bacterial infection. And it's nothing like that.

The frequency of mutations is a function of the number of human hosts spewing out massive quantities of the virus. Because that's what viruses do: they turn your cells into factories for reproduction.

Mutations occur when your cells chuck out a slightly different version of the virus, and that infects another cell in your body, and then it too is chucking out a different version. If that version is better able to infect and reproduce, then it will gain share.

The more people there are with chronic conditions, the more opportunities for mutation there are. This is fundamentally different to a bacterial infection where you wipe out 99% of bacteria, but leave a pristine situation for the other 1% to thrive.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,746
    FPT for Mr Nabavi

It’s struck me these last few days: how deeply fortunate we are to be European.

Fly for ~2 hours from london and you can be in Seville, Lisbon, Venice, the alps, the Cyclades, the Nordic fjords - or Berlin, Barcelona, Biarritz, the Basque Country. The Balearics.

The Hebrides, Brittany, the Black Forest; Naples and northumberland, Amsterdam and county Kerry, Paris and penzance.

What a wealth. And it is our backyard and our backstory, our patrimony and our inheritance. A place where no one starves and health care is humane. The most beautiful, cultured, civilised place on earth by an enormous distance. Covid-19, with its terrible restrictions on travel, really rams that home. If you have to be restricted to anywhere, you’d want it to be Europe

The Remain campaign really did a terrible job
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

IOS on GE2015 night at 9.55pm saying Labour's ground game had won them the election.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

'Today's the day Boris Johnson won the next election or keeps the Tories out of power for a generation.'

Only if he calls a summer election - which he won't, of course.

I fear the UK, and indeed the world, is going to suffer a form of long-Covid with the pandemic never really finishing, just fading away. Any gains for Johnson from a perceived Covid victory will be very short-lived as the reality of dealing with the aftermath quickly bites.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    edited July 2021

I'm leaning towards the messenger being wrong.
    There'll be another announcement next week. This isn't that important a step in the grand scheme of Covid.
    The economic fallout begins.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

rcs1000 said:

alex_ said:

NEW: Israel reports nearly 500 new coronavirus cases, biggest one-day increase since March

Out of interest, why is the reality of Israeli cases starting to rise again any sort of a story? We know cases of delta will spread rapidly in a highly vaccinated country which has largely or totally opened up. Because, UK.

Is it just because they are entirely Pfizer or something?
    Because of the general uselessness of the media in adding 2 + 2 and other advanced mathematics.

Once the Delta variants R number became apparent, it meant 2 things were clear

- The threshold for herd immunity by vaccination had been lifted to a very high level.
    - This is much higher than Israel (or probably any other country) is likely to achieve through voluntary vaccination.

Therefore Delta will sweep through countries. Even Chinese style lockdowns are unlikely to stop it. The outcome will be a function of the level of vaccination.
    Exactly right. With a R of 3, then it's quite easy to get to herd immunity off voluntary vaccine update in adults. But with an R of 6 it is essentially impossible.

So, you need to do one of two things: boost the number vaccinated (by adding children as France and the US, or by adding some degree of compulsion), or accept that Covid will sweep through unvaccinated communities.
    And the UK can't really do the first any time soon- we've not got enough mRNA vaccines coming before the autumn. So we either keep the social distancing going (school summer holidays should help from late July to the end of August), or...

(Yes, there's enough vaccine to do nearly all adults, and we're close to that on first doses. But that's a finish line that we've put in place, when it seemed likely to be enough to make any future flare-ups self-limiting. If delta Coivd has moved the goalposts, there's no point whinging about it.)
    We have though. The new Pfizer order has commenced deliveries, that's 2.3m per week from July onwards. That will filter into the front line at the end next week just as the first dose programme completes at about 47m people.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited July 2021
    Strangely the media didn't think Europe opening up despite far lower level of vaccinations was at all a gamble....

Yes they currently have lower case numbers, but unless you run a prison island approach, COVID will find you....and of course case numbers are a lagging indicator, by the time you think you might have a problem, you have a problem.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    IshmaelZ said:

But the big question is contrarian already vaccinated despite claiming he isn't or is contrarian now panicking about not being vaccinated in an open country.
  • Options

Strangely the media didn't think Europe opening up despite far lower level of vaccinations was at all a gamble....

Yes they currently have lower case numbers, but unless you run a prison island approach, COVID will find you....

They have a magical cloak of being in the EU, though.

The vaccinated world is in a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation this summer wrt unlockdown. Most countries will do what Boris has just done and remove the restrictions for fear of a much worse exit wave in the autumn.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    edited July 2021

Yes they currently have lower case numbers, but unless you run a prison island approach, COVID will find you....and of course case numbers are a lagging indicator, by the time you think you might have a problem, you have a problem.

R rate in Luxembourg is currently 2.3. Spain 1.6. UK 1.5.

just in the place in Europe where it is densely populated and cosmopolitan.

Following a very similar profile a few weeks behind.

And all those deliberately open borders...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yes they currently have lower case numbers, but unless you run a prison island approach, COVID will find you....

The vaccinated world is in a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation this summer wrt unlockdown. Most countries will do what Boris has just done and remove the restrictions for fear of a much worse exit wave in the autumn.
    I have close relatives in Australia who are in utter despair, and now feeling that they will never be allowed to travel anywhere. Which, if you are Australian, is not a great sensation, seeing as the entire nation started as a penal colony from which you explicitly could not go anywhere
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    MaxPB said:

The magic cloak doesn't seem to be working in Spain and Portugal....and where will loads of German's and Eastern Europeans be going on their holidays right about now.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    MaxPB said:

Macron went weeks last autumn trying to keep France open with largely inconsequential restrictions in an unvaccinated world until finally giving in to another lockdown. Daily case numbers even hit 90k at one point with him ploughing on.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

MaxPB said:

The magic cloak doesn't seem to be working in Spain and Portugal....and where will loads of German's and Eastern Europeans be going on their holidays right about now.
    But this is a Twitter magic cloak.

The one nation the magic cloak doesn't work in is Hungary.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    edited July 2021
    I thought the only reason we delayed opening up completely was the worry over the variant formerly known as Indian being less resistant to the vaccines, so we bought a bit more time? Deaths haven’t gone up much, intensive cares are not overwhelmed, so why are people, including those who moaned when the re opening was delayed, calling it a gamble now?
  • Options
    "Overall, 48 per cent of all adults, including families, backed quarantine-free holidays for double jabbed Britons, according to the Yougov poll of 2,200 adults."

And this is why all lockdown polling is bullshit. People want the old life back but think it can be had without any real effect on the domestic situation.

We're in this odd situation of people saying yes to keeping restrictions but also saying yes to getting rid of all the measures.
  • Options
    Absolutely gutted to learn that Richard Donner has died.

Aw, man. Richard Donner has gone. Thanks for everything, Dick. For the best Superman, for Riggs and Murtaugh, for cutting David Warner’s head off and showing it from 278 different angles, for directing some of my favourite movies, and for teaching me what ‘verisimilitude’ means.

https://twitter.com/ChrisHewitt/status/1412136037154004998

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/jul/05/richard-donner-dead-91-director-superman-goonies
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    MaxPB said:

"Overall, 48 per cent of all adults, including families, backed quarantine-free holidays for double jabbed Britons, according to the Yougov poll of 2,200 adults."

And this is why all lockdown polling is bullshit. People want the old life back but think it can be had without any real effect on the domestic situation.

We're in this odd situation of people saying yes to keeping restrictions but also saying yes to getting rid of all the measures.

As I have repeatedly said, its like polling on higher taxes....loads of people for them, until they are told what me...I have to pay more.....but I'm not one of those rich fat cats.

Here it is lockdown, lockdown harder, lockdown eternity....what do you mean I can't go on my usual foreign holiday or if I want to, I have to quarantine for 2 weeks. I've been pinged and have to isolate, f##k that I'm off down to Tescos to get ice cream.
  • Options
    On topic - of course one of the problems Johnson has is that some of the nuances behind the rationale for carrying on are being wilfully ignored by the Govt’s critics. Things like it is better to ride an exit wave now than in the future.

So he will likely cop a great deal of flack even if things proceed largely as expected/intended. Leaving him the the unfortunate position of secretly (from a purely political perspective) hoping that other countries get hit at least as badly if not worse*

Of course one of the almost completely unrecognised realities of the second/third wave is actually that, even despite the horrors of January, the UK have actually fared as well if not better than all of the other large European countries.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,444
    Leon said:

FPT for Mr Nabavi

Fly for ~2 hours from london and you can be in Seville, Lisbon, Venice, the alps, the Cyclades, the Nordic fjords - or Berlin, Barcelona, Biarritz, the Basque Country. The Balearics.

The Hebrides, Brittany, the Black Forest; Naples and northumberland, Amsterdam and county Kerry, Paris and penzance.

What a wealth. And it is our backyard and our backstory, our patrimony and our inheritance. A place where no one starves and health care is humane. The most beautiful, cultured, civilised place on earth by an enormous distance. Covid-19, with its terrible restrictions on travel, really rams that home. If you have to be restricted to anywhere, you’d want it to be Europe

You forget to mention Stoke-on-Trent and Hartlepool.
  • Options

Aw, man. Richard Donner has gone. Thanks for everything, Dick. For the best Superman, for Riggs and Murtaugh, for cutting David Warner’s head off and showing it from 278 different angles, for directing some of my favourite movies, and for teaching me what ‘verisimilitude’ means.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/jul/05/richard-donner-dead-91-director-superman-goonies

He got too old for this shit. RIP. :(
  • Options

MaxPB said:

As I have repeatedly said, its like polling on higher taxes....loads of people for them, until they are told what me...I have to pay more.....but I'm not one of those rich fat cats.

Here it is lockdown, lockdown harder, lockdown eternity....what do you mean I can't go on my usual foreign holiday or if I want to, I have to quarantine for 2 weeks.
    It's more like those polls which shows simultaneously the public want

1) Lower taxes
    2) Increased government spending/no cuts
    3) Lower deficits
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

FPT for Mr Nabavi

You forget to mention Stoke-on-Trent and Hartlepool.
    I bet you don't get double espressos in builders mugs in Seville like I did last time I was in Stoke-On-Trent...
  • Options
    Move over Hancock...

The Armed Forces' 'mental health champion' is being investigated over claims of an affair with the wife of a junior soldier who approached him for help.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9758555/Armys-mental-health-tsar-faces-probe-claim-affair-wife-soldier-wanted-help.html
  • Options

I was going to bed but now I'm going to watch Superman II: The Donner Cut.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

I have close relatives in Australia who are in utter despair, and now feeling that they will never be allowed to travel anywhere. Which, if you are Australian, is not a great sensation, seeing as the entire nation started as a penal colony from which you explicitly could not go anywhere
    One of the fascinations of reading the news reports out of Australia at the moment is finding out quite such a small country it appears to be for one with a reasonably large population. Reading the daily updates of “places of concern” makes their largest cities sound like tiny English villages.

“KFC on the high street between 9 and 9.30 pm”. “The number thirty bus between 12.09 and 12.29am”. “Woolworths in The Eastern district between 1 and 2pm etc”...
  • Options
    I think the biggest danger for Boris / government is if they end up re-implementing restrictions in the autumn / winter.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Once Delta is well seeded (as it is right now), I doubt open borders makes much difference.

It is worth remembering three other things:

1. Europe is very lucky that their school holidays have pretty much all started now. That means that the biggest vector for the transmission of Delta (children at school) has now been closed.

2. They aren't so far behind us on vaccinations now. Spain now has 65% of adults with at least one dose, and 44% fully vaccinated. That's where the UK was five weeks ago, and the the EU is putting 27-28m doses in arms every week.

3. There's less of a "zero Covid" thing in the EU. Most countries are happy with higher background levels of infections and deaths than we are, and that's probably the right call.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    MaxPB said:

You want the exit wave in the UK when the sun is high in the sky producing vitamin D for everyone.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    To Kill A Mockingbird will no longer be taught to pupils at a secondary school after teachers claimed the book promotes a "white saviour" narrative.

The seminal text is to be excluded from classrooms at James Gillespie High School in Edinburgh as part of wider plans to decolonise the curriculum amid concerns over its "dated" approach to race.

John Steinbeck’s classic novel Of Mice and Men will also be phased out over its use of the N-word, according to Allan Crosbie, the school’s head of English.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/05/school-cancels-kill-mockingbird-white-saviour-narrative/
  • Options
    isam said:

I thought the only reason we delayed opening up completely was the worry over the variant formerly known as Indian being less resistant to the vaccines, so we bought a bit more time? Deaths haven’t gone up much, intensive cares are not overwhelmed, so why are people, including those who moaned when the re opening was delayed, calling it a gamble now?

Because the UK, almost uniquely in the developed world, seems to have Zerocovidians at the very highest level of public discourse.

It's a real shame. It's OK to have even 50,000 cases of Covid a day *if* they are not leading to particularly heightened levels of hospitalisations and deaths.

Indeed, it would probably be more useful for the government to target hospitalisations and deaths rather than cases per se, because the reality is that people *aren't* getting really sick right now, because the most vulnerable have been vaccinated.
  • Options

Nice.

This is a great thread on how Donner put together this scene. https://twitter.com/tvaziri/status/905482730443386880

The intelligence he used to make movies so fantastic, without the technologies that we have now to take for granted, was really good.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

You want the exit wave in the UK when the sun is high in the sky producing vitamin D for everyone.
    If vitamin D really is a thing why aren’t we all being told about it, and to go and get pills if necessary? Can you overdose on it?

Or maybe the Government is secretly buying up the entire U.K. supply to give out for free when they’ve got enough...
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Because the UK, almost uniquely in the developed world, seems to have Zerocovidians at the very highest level of public discourse.

It's a real shame. It's OK to have even 50,000 cases of Covid a day *if* they are not leading to particularly heightened levels of hospitalisations and deaths.

Indeed, it would probably be more useful for the government to target hospitalisations and deaths rather than cases per se, because the reality is that people *aren't* getting really sick right now, because the most vulnerable have been vaccinated.
    I honestly don't know the answer to this and would like to know....in a normal year, how many people in the UK are hospitalized with flu / pneumonia on a daily basis?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

alex_ said:

NEW: Israel reports nearly 500 new coronavirus cases, biggest one-day increase since March

Out of interest, why is the reality of Israeli cases starting to rise again any sort of a story? We know cases of delta will spread rapidly in a highly vaccinated country which has largely or totally opened up. Because, UK.

Is it just because they are entirely Pfizer or something?
    Because of the general uselessness of the media in adding 2 + 2 and other advanced mathematics.

Once the Delta variants R number became apparent, it meant 2 things were clear

- The threshold for herd immunity by vaccination had been lifted to a very high level.
    - This is much higher than Israel (or probably any other country) is likely to achieve through voluntary vaccination.

Therefore Delta will sweep through countries. Even Chinese style lockdowns are unlikely to stop it. The outcome will be a function of the level of vaccination.
    Exactly right. With a R of 3, then it's quite easy to get to herd immunity off voluntary vaccine update in adults. But with an R of 6 it is essentially impossible.

So, you need to do one of two things: boost the number vaccinated (by adding children as France and the US, or by adding some degree of compulsion), or accept that Covid will sweep through unvaccinated communities.
    And the UK can't really do the first any time soon- we've not got enough mRNA vaccines coming before the autumn. So we either keep the social distancing going (school summer holidays should help from late July to the end of August), or...

(Yes, there's enough vaccine to do nearly all adults, and we're close to that on first doses. But that's a finish line that we've put in place, when it seemed likely to be enough to make any future flare-ups self-limiting. If delta Coivd has moved the goalposts, there's no point whinging about it.)
    We have though. The new Pfizer order has commenced deliveries, that's 2.3m per week from July onwards. That will filter into the front line at the end next week just as the first dose programme completes at about 47m people.
    Have the Govt deliberately underplayed the speed of the continued rollout amongst 18-39s do you think?

That is a game they have very likely played before.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

If vitamin D really is a thing why aren’t we all being told about it, and to go and get pills if necessary? Can you overdose on it?

Or maybe the Government is secretly buying up the entire U.K. supply to give out for free when they’ve got enough...
    The government did exactly that....they sent out free Vitamin D to a load of people in the spring.

Taking very high levels of Vitamin D for long periods isn't advisable, I believe one side effect is increased chances of kidney problems.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,234

MaxPB said:

Here it is lockdown, lockdown harder, lockdown eternity....what do you mean I can't go on my usual foreign holiday or if I want to, I have to quarantine for 2 weeks.

1) Lower taxes
    3) Lower deficits
    Economic growth could deliver all three simultaneously provided we keep the austerity hawks away from HM Treasury.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    isam said:

Take a guess ...... :smiley:
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

He will forever be remembered for his kebabs
  • Options

I think the biggest danger for Boris / government is if they end up re-implementing restrictions in the autumn / winter.

I think there's a fat chance of that.

The vaccinations are pretty much done and now for those who haven't had it (hello contrarian) the virus is going to burn out over summer. Which is precisely when it should.

What's going to be left by the autumn? Virtually everyone will have had the virus or the vaccine so how would a new surge happen again to overwhelm the NHS?
  • Options

To Kill A Mockingbird will no longer be taught to pupils at a secondary school after teachers claimed the book promotes a "white saviour" narrative.

The seminal text is to be excluded from classrooms at James Gillespie High School in Edinburgh as part of wider plans to decolonise the curriculum amid concerns over its "dated" approach to race.

John Steinbeck’s classic novel Of Mice and Men will also be phased out over its use of the N-word, according to Allan Crosbie, the school’s head of English.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/05/school-cancels-kill-mockingbird-white-saviour-narrative/

Utter balls.

To Kill A Mockingbird had a profound effect on me as a child.

The film adaptation of it made me a huge fan of Gregory Peck.

As a child there were seven films I had on a loop.

Episode IV-VI of Star Wars, The Wrath of Khan, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, To Kill A Mockingbird, and Inherit The Wind.
  • Options
    Re: booster jabs. Why is all the talk of waiting til the autumn? Why not get it going a bit earlier? There are a few people who had their second jab in January.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

1) Lower taxes
    3) Lower deficits
    Economic growth could deliver all three simultaneously provided we keep the austerity hawks away from HM Treasury.
    Indeed. Cut taxes and grow the pie.
  • Options

He will forever be remembered for his kebabs
    And his party.

(Americans will get the joke.)
  • Options
    It took Richard Madeley, FFS, to finally ask that communist hag on SAGE what a communist hag was doing on SAGE, trying to control all our lives

https://twitter.com/jamin2g/status/1412000436551311360?s=21
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Re: booster jabs. Why is all the talk of waiting til the autumn? Why not get it going a bit earlier? There are a few people who had their second jab in January.

I think the idea is to get a booster jab that is tailored to the Gamma and Delta variants in peoples' arms. Which means waiting a bit.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

Once Delta is well seeded (as it is right now), I doubt open borders makes much difference.

1. Europe is very lucky that their school holidays have pretty much all started now. That means that the biggest vector for the transmission of Delta (children at school) has now been closed.

2. They aren't so far behind us on vaccinations now. Spain now has 65% of adults with at least one dose, and 44% fully vaccinated. That's where the UK was five weeks ago, and the the EU is putting 27-28m doses in arms every week.

3. There's less of a "zero Covid" thing in the EU. Most countries are happy with higher background levels of infections and deaths than we are, and that's probably the right call.
    1 - Fair point.

2 - Yes - 5 weeks or so is reasonable if Spain maintain their current 1% per day jab rate, and they don't slow down or hit a ceiling.

3 - Perhaps.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Yes

Sir Keir is saying it’s reckless, it should be done gradually etc, but that is what’s happening! We were meant to be fully open a month earlier, but the government were cautious. I don’t see why he is calling for even more caution on the back of the vaccines working as intended. It really is a case of being paralysed by fear. I live with an unvaccinated vulnerable person, we have to be careful, but that doesn’t mean the whole of society has to join us
  • Options
    Leon said:

It took Richard Madeley, FFS, to finally ask that communist hag on SAGE what a communist hag was doing on SAGE, trying to control all our lives

Fantastic from Madeley, absolutely brilliant. He gets a lot of stick, but this was great. And he looks great for his age too
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Although 50 000 cases a day won't do much for the economic recovery if we have 100's of thousands off work and not spending because they are at home in bed.
    Some people are still getting quite sick if not bad enough for hospital. Even when double vaxxed.
  • Options

Nice.

This is a great thread on how Donner put together this scene. https://twitter.com/tvaziri/status/905482730443386880

The intelligence he used to make movies so fantastic, without the technologies that we have now to take for granted, was really good.
    My impression is that whilst modern CGI allows things that Directors of the past could only dream of, because of the minuscule cost involved, for the most part it also makes them extremely lazy and too many no longer really aspire to a sense of realism in what they are delivering and/or aren’t prepared to put the thought in to try and achieve it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Tory scientists.

Small state view has influence on their science.

Same difference.

Madeley is Partridge.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

alex_ said:

I think the idea is to get a booster jab that is tailored to the Gamma and Delta variants in peoples' arms. Which means waiting a bit.
    I don't think it's very likely with production schedules. Aiui the government enquired to Pfizer about getting delivery of a variant tailored vaccine for Q4 and splitting the order in half but we're told that Q1 is the absolute earliest they can deliver in enough volume.

We may strike it lucky with AZ as our domestic production is now nicely built up and slotting the new vaccine in here should be easy but AZ need to get the trial absolutely right this time. No fuck ups and "ethical concerns" about giving it to old people. They're exactly the people who need, not testing it in that cohort was probably the less ethical decision in the end.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    This is why I'm never going to the toilet again.

A 65-year-old man was left with minor injuries after a reticulated python bit him while he was sitting on the toilet.

He was said to have felt a "pinch in the area of his genitals" before noticing a five foot (1.6 metres) snake beneath him in the toilet bowl at his home in the Austrian city of Graz.

The python, a constrictor native to Asia which can grow to a length of nearly 30ft (nine metres), is thought to have found its way into the toilet via the network of drains....

...A 24-year-old neighbour, who owns 11 snakes, has been reported to the prosecutors' office on suspicion of negligently causing bodily harm, the police added.

https://news.sky.com/story/nasty-surprise-as-man-bitten-by-python-while-sat-on-the-toilet-12349246

Can we put snake owners in the same category as terrorists?

Extraordinary rendition for snake owners would be a vote winner.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Leon said:

FPT for Mr Nabavi

Make it three and it gets you Sicily, Iceland and Budapest....
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,234
    Everyone should check the thread header to appreciate the Daily Star's front page, and save themselves £100 a year's subscription to Dominic Cummings' Substack.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

I think there's a fat chance of that.

The vaccinations are pretty much done and now for those who haven't had it (hello contrarian) the virus is going to burn out over summer. Which is precisely when it should.

What's going to be left by the autumn? Virtually everyone will have had the virus or the vaccine so how would a new surge happen again to overwhelm the NHS?
    I wouldn't rule anything out.

Of course they will implement restrictions again if a variant poses problem at the perfect time of year for respiratory viruses i.e. late autumn and heading into winter. And by problems I mean hospitalisations and deaths.

A new variant coupled with a bad flu season (there is a lot of fear that this year could be a bad one for flu) could put a lot of pressure on our health services.

But then again it could be quiet and the booster programme which is going to happen in the autumn keeps on top of it all and we carry on...

Like I said you cannot predict anything right now.
  • Options

Leon said:

Tory scientists.

Same difference.

Madeley is Partridge.
    Fuck off old boy

She’s not even a proper scientist. She’s not a biologist or a virologist or an epidemiologist. She’s a ‘behavioural psychologist’ and a hardcore communist

That’s not the same as being “a small state Tory” that’s more like being an Islamofascist or a BNP member with hints of Nazism. She eagerly supports a creed which has slaughtered millions and which, in China, is committing genocide today

Fuck her. Throw her off the committee. More pointedly, watch the clip. She cannot answer the question
  • Options
    isam said:

Leon said:

Fantastic from Madeley, absolutely brilliant. He gets a lot of stick, but this was great. And he looks great for his age too

He nails her brilliantly. I think she is actually evil

I have met Madeley, He is super intelligent, hence his success. The affable, bumbling TV persona is an act. He’s immensely sharp
  • Options
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

1 - Fair point.

2 - Yes - 5 weeks or so is reasonable if Spain maintain their current 1% per day jab rate, and they don't slow down or hit a ceiling.

3 - Perhaps.
    Re 2, I'm sure they will all hit ceilings or at least slow down. The UK probably has one of the highest levels of vaccine acceptance in the world.

That being said it's worth noting that most of the major EU countries are now level with the US for proportion of adults with at least one jab:
    Belgium             78%
    Finland 73%
    Netherlands 73%
    USA 67%
    Italy 67%
    Spain 65%
    France 64%
    Germany 64%
    Now, while they're behind for full vaccinations, this is a pretty solid indicator that vaccine hesitancy there is going to be no worse (and probably better) than in the US.

Plus, ultimately, once a vaccine has been offered to all adults, then those that end up with Covid... well, that's really their problem.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    OT. The most unflattering obituary ever but extremely readable! "How Donal Rumsfeld Deserves to be Remembered"

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/06/how-donald-rumsfeld-deserves-be-remembered/619334/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB
  • Options

Leon said:

Actually Madeley is/was a serious journalist. He became associated with daytime fluff presumably because the money was far better than pounding the news trail. But he was a proper news reporter in his younger days.
    Yes, see my other comment. I’ve met him and we have mutual friends. He’s seriously clever. He persuaded a very doubtful friend of mine that Brexit would win, et voila
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Michie actually said in an interview in her opinion the only way to be able to overcome this pandemic and future pandemics was a total reordering of the whole of the way society works.....

That's quite different from saying that we know that Ferguson isn't exactly a big fan of Brexit or the Tories, but never talks about anything beyond is modelling work in interviews, let alone start espousing how we need a new world order to combat this virus. So his personal politics is absolutely irrelevant, as he has showed he is no interest in engaging in that sort of thing.

As soon as she starts to say well I only come on programmes to talk about "the science", I would be pulling out the quotes where she was happy to tell us his opinion for solving the pandemic requiring the whole country needing to be radically altered.
  • Options
    As an aside, Iceland is now at 88% of adults with at least one vaccine dose, and that increased by no less than 5% last week, so they may manage the record for least vaccine hesitancy.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Actually Madeley is/was a serious journalist. He became associated with daytime fluff presumably because the money was far better than pounding the news trail. But he was a proper news reporter in his younger days.
    Yes, see my other comment. I’ve met him and we have mutual friends. He’s seriously clever. He persuaded a very doubtful friend of mine that Brexit would win, et voila
    Is he likely to get the gig on GMB full time, do you think?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside, Iceland is now at 88% of adults with at least one vaccine dose, and that increased by no less than 5% last week, so they may manage the record for least vaccine hesitancy.

Wouldn't surprise me if a Nordic country ended up with the highest rates. They tend to be quite sensible.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yeah it's probably easier to do in tiny states.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

They’d be very wise to choose him. He’s a free thinker and properly combative without being a twat like Morgan. He’s also a total pro on live TV. Might be more of a question: does he want the full time job

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

1 - Fair point.

3 - Perhaps.
    Re 2, I'm sure they will all hit ceilings or at least slow down. The UK probably has one of the highest levels of vaccine acceptance in the world.

That being said it's worth noting that most of the major EU countries are now level with the US for proportion of adults with at least one jab:
    Belgium             78%
    Finland 73%
    Netherlands 73%
    USA 67%
    Italy 67%
    Spain 65%
    France 64%
    Germany 64%
    Now, while they're behind for full vaccinations, this is a pretty solid indicator that vaccine hesitancy there is going to be no worse (and probably better) than in the US.

Plus, ultimately, once a vaccine has been offered to all adults, then those that end up with Covid... well, that's really their problem.
    Only fair to put this UK and Israel on this chart too, to demonstrate where we are:
    UK                  87%
    Israel 81%
    Belgium 78%
    Finland 73%
    Netherlands 73%
    USA 67%
    Italy 67%
    Spain 65%
    France 64%
    Germany 64%
  • Options
    Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

He nails her brilliantly. I think she is actually evil

I have met Madeley, He is super intelligent, hence his success. The affable, bumbling TV persona is an act. He’s immensely sharp
    As you say she cannot, or wont, answer the question. Because in her heart she knows this is a way of getting closer to her utopia, and the end justifies the means.

Madeley gets a lot of undue stick, but he doesn’t toe the line. 65 this year, incredible. And a Romford boy too, we might have been born in the same hospital!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

They’d be very wise to choose him. He’s a free thinker and properly combative without being a twat like Morgan. He’s also a total pro on live TV. Might be more of a question: does he want the full time job

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

He’s said he does
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/14976331/phone-rung-ready-new-piers-morgan-richard-madeley/?rec_article=true
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Yeah it's probably easier to do in tiny states.
    I think they have a fairly high level of trust in Iceland, which plays a role. (They also played a blinder, IIRC, by both buying direct and getting some EU vaccines.)
  • Options
    The Deputy Editor of the Daily Express is remarkably measured, sensible, nuanced and good humoured on the BBC paper review.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Tory scientists.

Same difference.

Madeley is Partridge.
    Fuck off old boy

She’s not even a proper scientist. She’s not a biologist or a virologist or an epidemiologist. She’s a ‘behavioural psychologist’ and a hardcore communist

That’s not the same as being “a small state Tory” that’s more like being an Islamofascist or a BNP member with hints of Nazism. She eagerly supports a creed which has slaughtered millions and which, in China, is committing genocide today

Fuck her. Throw her off the committee. More pointedly, watch the clip. She cannot answer the question
    Which questions can Boris Johnson answer?

Throw him out of PMQ's.

Marxist England team doing rather well in the Euros BTW Sean
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

The Deputy Editor of the Daily Express is remarkably measured, sensible, nuanced and good humoured on the BBC paper review.

He won't be asked back then....
  • Options

Michie actually said in an interview in her opinion the only way to be able to overcome this pandemic and future pandemics was a total reordering of the whole of the way society works.....

That's quite different from saying that we know that Ferguson isn't exactly a big fan of Brexit or the Tories, but never talks about anything beyond is modelling work in interviews, let alone start espousing how we need a new world order to combat this virus.

I just find it absolutely astonishing that anyone could credibly claim to be an expert in behavioural psychology, whilst at the same time being a committed communist. When it is almost universally accepted that one of the fundamental flaws in communism, even if its aims/ideals are interpreted positively/charitably, is that it fails because it is at odds with the human condition.

Whilst clearly this pandemic has caused many to reassess with some alarm, quite how many people actually seem to seek comfort in being told what to do by the state, if anything that only makes the case stronger because it demonstrates how many will react when faced with an apparent existential threat to their existence. The (usually) creation of existential threats, and causing people to live in fear, being a key part of how communist regimes seek to take power and retain it.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

That's quite different from saying that we know that Ferguson isn't exactly a big fan of Brexit or the Tories, but never talks about anything beyond is modelling work in interviews, let alone start espousing how we need a new world order to combat this virus.

I just find it absolutely astonishing that anyone could credibly claim to be an expert in behavioural psychology, whilst at the same time being a committed communist. When it is almost universally accepted that one of the fundamental flaws in communism, even if its aims/ideals are interpreted positively/charitably, is that it fails because it is at odds with the human condition.

Whilst clearly this pandemic has caused many to reassess with some alarm, quite how many people actually seem to seek comfort in being told what to do by the state, if anything that only makes the case stronger because it demonstrates how many will react when faced with an apparent existential threat to their existence. The (usually) creation of existential threats, and causing people to live in fear, being a key part of how communist regimes seek to take power and retain it.
    What can I say, she went to Oxford...time to shut the place down.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Do you object to the Communist influence in the Johnson administration?
  • Options

alex_ said:

What can I say, she went to Oxford...time to shut the place down.
    On the other hand there is the possibility that her presence onSAGE is actually far more sinister and she is there BECAUSE she is a communist and has studied the methods used to keep a population compliant and unquestionably accepting of Govt authority. Because you can imagine a Govt contemplating the sorts of things put in place over the last 15 months would find such “expertise” extremely valuable..
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216
    alex_ said:

It's actually funnier than that. Communism is scientifically proven not to work - and not just by practical demonstration.

Humans are non-linear in behaviour. Basic chaos theory shows that trying to completely predict/control non-linear systems is doomed - see the butterfly effect. Therefore Communist style central control of society can't work.
  • Options

alex_ said:

It's actually funnier than that. Communism is scientifically proven not to work - and not just by practical demonstration.

Humans are non-linear in behaviour. Basic chaos theory shows that trying to completely predict/control non-linear systems is doomed - see the butterfly effect. Therefore Communist style central control of society can't work.
    But perhaps can in the short term... see my other post...
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I don’t want to harp on, but Clarkson’s Farm has quite extraordinary ratings

2300 Google reviews. Average: 5/5

9.3 on IMDB

100% on Rotten Tomatoes

4.9/5 on amazon, after almost 4000 reviews

He’s a comic genius, and in this show he injects some pathos as well

The Guardian gave it 1 star. Lol
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

9.3 on IMDB

100% on Rotten Tomatoes

Season Two already in the works....

---

Classic quotes from the Gruardian....

"There is more wearisome, meretricious rubbish in this episode – and then in the others – that there is no point detailing here."

"For every Clarkson sucking up money, resources, time and publicity, there are other, newer, brighter, more entertaining, more valuable things not getting made."

---

While Amazon sit back and look at the rating and know they have the biggest show of the year.
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    Leon said:

If she's talking shit, it should be possible to debunk it by looking at her premises and logic. It's not as if she's a loony who says things like "the heart is not a pump". She didn't appoint herself to SAGE.

An upsurge seems to be ongoing in the rightwing fear of "communism".

• Options
    Leon said:

9.3 on IMDB

100% on Rotten Tomatoes

Bloody Remoaners.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Gnud said:

Leon said:

If she's talking shit, it should be possible to debunk it by looking at her premises and logic. It's not as if she's a loony who says things like "the heart is not a pump". She didn't appoint herself to SAGE.

An upsurge seems to be ongoing in the rightwing fear of "communism".

Would you say the same about a leftwing fear of fascism?
  • Options

Leon said:

9.3 on IMDB

100% on Rotten Tomatoes

Season Two already in the works....
    A lot of people really don’t understand Jeremy Clarkson. He’s got far more depth than most of his knee jerk critics give him credit for. I also never get the impression that he takes himself too seriously, which is always a sign that he’s putting on something of an act.
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    rcs1000 said:

What does that mean? Deny them access to intensive care?

Should the same logic be applied to smokers who get lung cancer, or to fatarses who stuff their mouths with too much pasta and cake and get heart disease?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

Leon said:

Tory scientists.

Same difference.

Madeley is Partridge.
    Anyone could be asked whether their personal politics might affect their views. If it is an unreasonable question the correct response is to say "That is a silly question, politics plays no part in my consideration of scientific evidence'.

The incorrect response is to whinge about being asked the question in a manner which suggests how dare someone ask you something you don't like, without addressing it with a very simple 'no'.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Just back from a top top day at Wimbledon. So nice to see people's faces and act normally.

Beyond thrilled that the Govt. have realised they can't wibble any more. Shame it wasn't a few weeks ago!
  • Options
    Gnud said:

rcs1000 said:

What does that mean? Deny them access to intensive care?

Should the same logic be applied to smokers who get lung cancer, or to fatarses who stuff their mouths with too much pasta and cake and get heart disease?
    No it means that society shouldn’t be reordered to protect them.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319

This is why I'm never going to the toilet again.

A 65-year-old man was left with minor injuries after a reticulated python bit him while he was sitting on the toilet.

He was said to have felt a "pinch in the area of his genitals" before noticing a five foot (1.6 metres) snake beneath him in the toilet bowl at his home in the Austrian city of Graz.

The python, a constrictor native to Asia which can grow to a length of nearly 30ft (nine metres), is thought to have found its way into the toilet via the network of drains....

...A 24-year-old neighbour, who owns 11 snakes, has been reported to the prosecutors' office on suspicion of negligently causing bodily harm, the police added.

https://news.sky.com/story/nasty-surprise-as-man-bitten-by-python-while-sat-on-the-toilet-12349246

Can we put snake owners in the same category as terrorists?

Extraordinary rendition for snake owners would be a vote winner.

My mother once visited friends and excused herself to use their loo. After a little while, their pet python (of which she had not been told) reared its head in the bath and eyed her pensively. She shrieked, pulled up her clothes and rushed into the living room.

Mum: "There's a snake in your bath!!!"
    Friend: "Ah, yes, that's Anthony, didn't we mention him? I do hope you haven't upset him."
This discussion has been closed.