Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

After two by-election flops the Tories should blame their own complacency – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited July 2021 in General
imageAfter two by-election flops the Tories should blame their own complacency – politicalbetting.com

In the past two and a bit weeks the mood of Labour and Lib Dem parties has soared following the Chesham and Batley by-elections. For in both seats the Tories were widely believed to be next to near certainties and this was driving the media narrative and the betting. Betfair had the blue team as a 75%+ chance to take Batley and a 95% one in Chesham.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Test
  • Options
    After 18 months of scaremongering and doom-mongering, some of which in the early waves had some truth, the tide has now turned. In Javid and Sunak we have a powerful axis of numerate people. They understand the data and that we now need to get back to life and learn to live with covid. It will take time to shift a paranoid nation who have been beaten into simpering, cowering, wrecks. Some will never recover mentally from the scarring, just as the war years left an indelible scar on an entire generation.

Best thing you can do? Switch off the news. Stop reading about covid. Don't cheer NHS staff. Get back to normal life.

Hancock's affair is the best thing to have happened to the UK this year.
  • Options
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/07/04/javid-sunak-will-defeat-lockdown-doom-mongers/

Great piece.

Paywall but you can get 3 months for £1 (and then cancel).
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Since when has the party of government failing to win a seat from the opposition at a by-election, been considered a flop?

In the context, yes it was a flop.
  • Options
    Before Batley last Thursday the previous two by elections in Northern LAB seats had been seen CON gains - before Hartlepool there was Copeland
  • Options
    I think it's time to begin betting against a Conservative majority.

I'm not sure how much football success* would carry through, especially over years, and we know that Johnson has often been a 'lucky general' but the trend now is clearly away from the Conservatives. It's slight for sure, but a trend nonetheless.

As we come away from covid and life returns more and more to normality other issues that are gnawing away in the background will come to the fore. Johnson is all blague and bluster and piss poor on detail. It's going to be a bumpy few years for Johnson.

* The 1966 World Cup success is often said to have boosted Harold Wilson. But four years later he lost the election anyway.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Before Batley last Thursday the previous two by elections in Northern LAB seats had been seen CON gains - before Hartlepool there was Copeland

Since the Tory Party had such a massive lead in the polls.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,539
    Next by-election = Lagan Valley.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Next by-election = Lagan Valley.

Sean will doubtless note that Sorcha is a scorcher https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/alliances-sorcha-eastwood-confident-winning-20878746

I expect such comments are to be frowned upon these days but I have female friends who regularly drool over male Cabinet members and score them accordingly.

It's the way of the world.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,190
    Morning all! Glad to see that the government are still led by the science. We all want Covid to be behind us. But if this now turns GB into "variant factories" as the scientists now warn, we know who to blame.

Liar will try - if he is forced - to claim they always follow the science as he reimposes the "never again" restrictions as the blaze of "Good Old Boris" headlines are replaced by Covid gloom that he created.

I hope the "doom mongers" are wrong. Then again if they are wrong we should have ignored them from the start and none of this would have happened. So be very clear about what we are about to embark on - a public health experiment in the PM's quest to be loved.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    edited July 2021
    Sandpit said:

Since when has the party of government failing to win a seat from the opposition at a by-election, been considered a flop?

The on topic question is whether, with a bit of intelligence and a tad more application and effort, the Tories might actually have turned B&S into a win?

I suspect that the answer is yes.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

I think it's time to begin betting against a Conservative majority.

I'm not sure how much football success* would carry through, especially over years, and we know that Johnson has often been a 'lucky general' but the trend now is clearly away from the Conservatives. It's slight for sure, but a trend nonetheless.

As we come away from covid and life returns more and more to normality other issues that are gnawing away in the background will come to the fore. Johnson is all blague and bluster and piss poor on detail. It's going to be a bumpy few years for Johnson.

* The 1966 World Cup success is often said to have boosted Harold Wilson. But four years later he lost the election anyway.

“Football success”, if it had any positive benefit to the Govt would only be very short term. I suspect its main current benefit is to bolstering its plans for lockdown lifting (what’s going on in pubs etc is making a mockery of the idea that the current “restrictions” are being widely complied with).

However i’ve never heard anyone try to argue that Wilson lost in 1970 “despite World Cup success in 1966”. The argument usually made is that he lost in part because of England’s loss to West Germany in the 1970 quarter final.
  • Options
    Off topic, the little McColls that is our village's only store has been hit hard by the driver crisis. They've now missed several deliveries, with whole sections of shelf now empty.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Morning all! Glad to see that the government are still led by the science. We all want Covid to be behind us. But if this now turns GB into "variant factories" as the scientists now warn, we know who to blame.

Liar will try - if he is forced - to claim they always follow the science as he reimposes the "never again" restrictions as the blaze of "Good Old Boris" headlines are replaced by Covid gloom that he created.

I hope the "doom mongers" are wrong. Then again if they are wrong we should have ignored them from the start and none of this would have happened. So be very clear about what we are about to embark on - a public health experiment in the PM's quest to be loved.

Prof Allyson Pollock, clinical professor of public health at Newcastle University, said Javid’s approach was “sensible”. She said: “Population immunity is rapidly being achieved due to a combination of naturally acquired immunity through infection and vaccination. Unknowns are duration of immunity, impact of variants and who is at individual risk of reinfection or transmission.

“Good infection and outbreak control measures are still important at local level. However, mass testing and daily testing should be stopped, as testing of asymptomatic people is causing unnecessary harms with no evidence that it contributes to reducing transmission.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/04/uk-scientists-caution-that-lifting-of-covid-rules-is-like-building-variant-factories

The scientists are split on this, and many of those lining up to denounce the easing of restrictions are in the camp that wants to keep them forever. Do you want rules and regulations to suppress respiratory illnesses forever? Masks and social distancing forever? I suspect not, it's just that taking the opportunity to bash the Government out of intense dislike of it is too good to resist.

Much of the criticism of reopening also constitutes the infamous goalpost shifting to which we have become so used. As the effectiveness of the vaccinations forces those who are clinging to rules and nannying and endless cyclical lockdowns to retreat, they do so from one prepared redoubt to another. Since people aren't dying in huge numbers we now hear clucking about Long Covid in children and new variants. If the JCVI eventually opts to jab children to try to reach herd immunity, then the next whine will be that restrictions are needed to combat the NHS Winter Crisis.

When - and it will be a case of "when," not "if" - Covid decays to background levels at or below the prevalence of flu, then the drumbeat will pick up for a Zero Covid strategy to crush the virus and protect the remaining vulnerable. And even if we were to eliminate community transmission (which does not seem to be a realistic aim,) the argument would be that rules were needed forever to stamp on further waves caused by reimportation of the disease, including the dreaded new variants which could keep on coming for years.

In short, from a purely disease-focussed, precautionary point of view, there will probably never be a good time to bin the Covid rules, and there are no shortage of people - often people with an ideological bent towards keeping them - who will be willing to pop up and say so. But, unless you really do want to build a biosecurity state in which the population exists to service the needs of the NHS and not the other way around, then they have to go some time. So, if not now, when?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Sandpit said:

Compared with Hartlepool this is a flop for the Tories specially as the blue team had the enormous help from GG.
    I think there is an element of exaggeration here - and to criticise the Tories for not calling out GG while ignoring the 'Modi' cartoon and Labour's failure to stand up against the homophobic slurs & for the Batley Grammar teacher, smacks of double standards. The honest analysis always saw B & S as a more likley Labour hold than anything else.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,125
    felix said:

Sandpit said:

Compared with Hartlepool this is a flop for the Tories specially as the blue team had the enormous help from GG.
    I think there is an element of exaggeration here - and to criticise the Tories for not calling out GG while ignoring the 'Modi' cartoon and Labour's failure to stand up against the homophobic slurs & for the Batley Grammar teacher, smacks of double standards. The honest analysis always saw B & S as a more likley Labour hold than anything else.
    There was an article here that made that very point about a labour hold.
  • Options

Prof Allyson Pollock, clinical professor of public health at Newcastle University, said Javid’s approach was “sensible”. She said: “Population immunity is rapidly being achieved due to a combination of naturally acquired immunity through infection and vaccination. Unknowns are duration of immunity, impact of variants and who is at individual risk of reinfection or transmission.

“Good infection and outbreak control measures are still important at local level. However, mass testing and daily testing should be stopped, as testing of asymptomatic people is causing unnecessary harms with no evidence that it contributes to reducing transmission.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/04/uk-scientists-caution-that-lifting-of-covid-rules-is-like-building-variant-factories

The scientists are split on this, and many of those lining up to denounce the easing of restrictions are in the camp that wants to keep them forever. Do you want rules and regulations to suppress respiratory illnesses forever? Masks and social distancing forever? I suspect not, it's just that taking the opportunity to bash the Government out of intense dislike of it is too good to resist.

Much of the criticism of reopening also constitutes the infamous goalpost shifting to which we have become so used. As the effectiveness of the vaccinations forces those who are clinging to rules and nannying and endless cyclical lockdowns to retreat, they do so from one prepared redoubt to another. Since people aren't dying in huge numbers we now hear clucking about Long Covid in children and new variants. If the JCVI eventually opts to jab children to try to reach herd immunity, then the next whine will be that restrictions are needed to combat the NHS Winter Crisis.

When - and it will be a case of "when," not "if" - Covid decays to background levels at or below the prevalence of flu, then the drumbeat will pick up for a Zero Covid strategy to crush the virus and protect the remaining vulnerable. And even if we were to eliminate community transmission (which does not seem to be a realistic aim,) the argument would be that rules were needed forever to stamp on further waves caused by reimportation of the disease, including the dreaded new variants which could keep on coming for years.

In short, from a purely disease-focussed, precautionary point of view, there will probably never be a good time to bin the Covid rules, and there are no shortage of people - often people with an ideological bent towards keeping them - who will be willing to pop up and say so. But, unless you really do want to build a biosecurity state in which the population exists to service the needs of the NHS and not the other way around, then they have to go some time. So, if not now, when?
    As I said, I hope the "doom mongers" are wrong. Split scientists - and from what I am reading nobody is fully backing the "ah fuck it let her rip" approach of Javid - means risk. There's no point debating this one as it will happen.

I am simply pointing out that if let her rip goes badly wrong as half the scientists are warning, Liar will be reinstating restrictions and saying "we always follow the science". They tried that bullshit once before, they will try it again. As they will blaming people for doing what they the ministers strongly encouraged people to do.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

Thanks for these posts over the past few days - it is difficult to disagree with anything you have written.

Part of me says 'fuck the biosecurity state', but then another part of me expects the virus to just re-emerge in a more aggressive way in a few months time, necessitating another lockdown. However, for me the decisive argument if favour of what Javid is pursuing is that it would be extremely harmful to get used to a situation where these rules are permanently in place; however convenient it would be for the people that advocate for them. They should be regarded as exceptional curtailments on freedom and liberty that are only justified by an extreme public health emergency. Right now, such a justification does not exist, not even vaguely.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

As I said, I hope the "doom mongers" are wrong. Split scientists - and from what I am reading nobody is fully backing the "ah fuck it let her rip" approach of Javid - means risk. There's no point debating this one as it will happen.

I am simply pointing out that if let her rip goes badly wrong as half the scientists are warning, Liar will be reinstating restrictions and saying "we always follow the science". They tried that bullshit once before, they will try it again. As they will blaming people for doing what they the ministers strongly encouraged people to do.
    I don't think its at all plausible it will happen but worst case scenario if we did in the future have to re-impose restrictions then we would have followed the science.

Not the zero-covid Indy SAGE extremist "science", but the actual science recommended by the Chief Medical Officer and Chief Scientific Officer and others who've been saying since February the time will come when we break the link between cases and deaths, where we need to open up even if it means more cases. That time is now.

Plus the mistake of trying too hard to be "cautious and irreversible" is that it means you remain locked down for far longer than necessary. If you lift lockdown in a 'risk' and it turns out fine you've gained, if it doesn't you're only back to where you were before so nothing is lost.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,539

After 18 months of scaremongering and doom-mongering, some of which in the early waves had some truth, the tide has now turned. In Javid and Sunak we have a powerful axis of numerate people. They understand the data and that we now need to get back to life and learn to live with covid. It will take time to shift a paranoid nation who have been beaten into simpering, cowering, wrecks. Some will never recover mentally from the scarring, just as the war years left an indelible scar on an entire generation.

Best thing you can do? Switch off the news. Stop reading about covid. Don't cheer NHS staff. Get back to normal life.

+1
  • Options

On what are you basing the idea that it is “half the scientists”? We actually have little idea about the balance of scientific opinion.

In this case “half the scientists”, is in fact two “Indy Sage” “behavioural scientists” sounding off as ever outside their area of supposed professional expertise, in a Guardian article in which 4 “scientists”/“experts” are quoted.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nice to get the George Cross this morning.

Perhaps you’ll be able to sell your medal in 20 years to boost your retirement.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,579
    alex_ said:

Foxy said:

I think that we have to share a medal, so selling it may not boost funds much!

• Options
    borisatsunborisatsun Posts: 188

Sandpit said:

Hartlepool really was a rather remarkable result.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,969
    edited July 2021
    Foxy said:

Did all staff get one of those letters? And, without wishing to seem curmudgeonly, does this apply 'just' to directly paid staff, such as Dr F, or are the staff of contractors, such as GP practices and pharmacies included?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

On what are you basing the idea that it is “half the scientists”? We actually have little idea about the balance of scientific opinion.

In this case “half the scientists”, is in fact two “Indy Sage” “behavioural scientists” sounding off as ever outside their area of supposed professional expertise, in a Guardian article in which 4 “scientists”/“experts” are quoted.
    Science is not decided by voting!

Personally I am quite concerned by the Delta wave, though clearly vaccinations are having a big impact on admissions and deaths, or at least yet.

I think that most restrictions should go though probably not in Health and Social care. It is daft to restrict weddings while allowing tens of thousands at football etc
  • Options

The Covid crisis has really highlighted the brilliance and limitations of science, and scientists.

But it has really shown up the limitations and hideousness of journalists and journalism. Very few journalists and journals have had a 'good' Covid war: many have been absolutely appalling. I'd argue the Economist has been quite good, but the BBC has had a shocker - and they've been angels compared to most of the print media.

It's a shame when randos on the Internet - such as Dr John Campbell, or some on here - provide a much better discussion of what is going on that organisations with many orders of magnitude more funding.

Historically journalists, particularly on outlets like the BBC, probably saw it as their jobs to inform. That sadly long ago ceased to be the case.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Did all staff get one of those letters? And, without wishing to seem curmudgeonly, does this apply 'just' to directly paid staff, such as Dr F, or are the staff of contractors, such as GP practices and pharmacies included?
    All staff past and present, so the letter says. Presumably including Dr Shipman!
  • Options
    borisatsunborisatsun Posts: 188
    edited July 2021
    Is there some curious old bylaw that prevents the BBC from using normal dates or days of the week to describe Wimbledon schedules? They only mention the "Day Of Wimbledon" that the games are on..

"Wimbledon 2021: British wildcard Emma Raducanu headlines Court One on day seven"
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/57712820
    Wimbledon order of play on day seven.. etc

It tells me that full crowds will be allowed in from Tuesday, but doesn't tell me what "Day Of Wimbledon" that is!
  • Options
    It's a long, long time since Shipman was an NHS staff member. As a GP he was an independent individual contracting to provide certain services to the NHS.

As an NHS pensioner, I wonder if I'll get one!
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Hear, hear.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    I think the Tories deserved favouritism in Batley and Spen looking back still, Galloway didn't conjure up his 22% from thin air - these were Batley votes indicating a thoroughly poor performance by the Tories in the Spen valley
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Pulpstar said:

I think the Tories deserved favouritism in Batley and Spen looking back still, Galloway didn't conjure up his 22% from thin air - these were Batley votes indicating a thoroughly poor performance by the Tories in the Spen valley

Leadbetter resonated there clearly took Tory votes and Cleckheaton LE Lib Dem ones
  • Options

It's a long, long time since Shipman was an NHS staff member. As a GP he was an independent individual contracting to provide certain services to the NHS.

I would say that you are included. I don't think that we get physical medals. Though my Trust did give out Covid Service medals, in physical form.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Foxy said:

I would say that you are included. I don't think that we get physical medals. Though my Trust did give out Covid Service medals, in physical form.
    Can't imagine even current staff will all get medals; too many, surely. Although of course, in wartime thousands of medals are handed out; 1939-45 star and so on.

Nice touch by your Trust, by the way!
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

The Covid crisis has really highlighted the brilliance and limitations of science, and scientists.

But it has really shown up the limitations and hideousness of journalists and journalism. Very few journalists and journals have had a 'good' Covid war: many have been absolutely appalling. I'd argue the Economist has been quite good, but the BBC has had a shocker - and they've been angels compared to most of the print media.

It's a shame when randos on the Internet - such as Dr John Campbell, or some on here - provide a much better discussion of what is going on that organisations with many orders of magnitude more funding.

God, yes.
    With some prominent exceptions that should be highlighted (eg John Burn-Murdoch and most of the FT output, and Tom Whipple, and Hugo Gye).
    But pretty much the entire output of the Telegraph and Mail was such repeated and arrant bollocks.
    And, God - JHB and Allison Pearson! Not to mention the execrable Toby Young - who’s STILL crusading and has spent months pushing antivax lines (doubtless because a big chunk of his readership are now antivaxxers, so if he wants to keep making money from his Lockdown Denialists Sceptics site, well, that’s what gets the dosh).

They’ve been even more energetic and consistently spewing their line than even iSAGE - God knows, they’ve had more output.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

The scientists who made that comment are a couple of behavioural scientists from independent sage

I know you are keen to bash Boris (it seems to have been much more virulent since you moved to Scotland, so May be you are trying to fit in). But you should be careful about who you cite so approvingly

Otherwise people may just think you’re a crackpot
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,360
    Since my father came out of retirement to help the NHS during the pandemic is he now able to use the post nominal GC after his name?
  • Options
    Does anyone else here watch Countryfile? Interesting comment last night that, due to Brexit, lamb prices had gone through the roof, to the benefit of sheep farmers.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,410
    Before we get too excited about July 19, either for good or ill, isn't there still a possibility that BoJo will blink again, as happened over the June unlocking?

The political balances are different this time, but the PM has a lot of form for pre-briefing lower levels of restrictions and then slamming the brakes on at the last minute.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,708

Is there some curious old bylaw that prevents the BBC from using normal dates or days of the week to describe Wimbledon schedules? They only mention the "Day Of Wimbledon" that the games are on..

"Wimbledon 2021: British wildcard Emma Raducanu headlines Court One on day seven"
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/57712820
    Wimbledon order of play on day seven.. etc

It tells me that full crowds will be allowed in from Tuesday, but doesn't tell me what "Day Of Wimbledon" that is!

Order of play is only announced one day at a time, so if in the evening, day x is always tomorrow, if in the morning day x is always today.
  • Options

Since my father came out of retirement to help the NHS during the pandemic is he now able to use the post nominal GC after his name?

It is all NHS workers past or present.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,325
    edited July 2021

"half the scientists" - nope.

What is interesting is that no actual major scientists are saying anything of the kind. All we have are the standard "iSAGE because I have a PhD in something" types. Note that they are sounding weaker and less... virulent than usual.

What is also interesting is that there are no flag flying of the "senior scientist briefs the Guardian" type. Which strongly suggests that the NHS/Government scientist groups are backing the decisions.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Can't imagine even current staff will all get medals; too many, surely. Although of course, in wartime thousands of medals are handed out; 1939-45 star and so on.

Nice touch by your Trust, by the way!
    Yes, it was popular, and a cheap way of showing appreciation. We got an extra day's leave too.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,203
    Whilst there is clearly an element of truth in Mike's header, especially in relation to B&S, I am glad that the government has recognised that it has more important things to do than throw all its time and resources into a couple of by elections. Ed Davey may have had nothing better to do than spend his days in C&A but Ministers certainly do.

This government faces difficult decisions and serious problems on a whole range of fronts. I remain a bit nervous that Javid is showing the same gung ho, slightly simplistic tendencies that he did during his brief and somewhat undistinguished time in the Treasury. I remain to be convinced that he was a good appointment.
  • Options
    felix said:

Sandpit said:

In which case many thanks to all the very dishonest Tory odds on backers on Betfair!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

All staff past and present, so the letter says. Presumably including Dr Shipman!
    Isn't he dead?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Charles said:

The scientists who made that comment are a couple of behavioural scientists from independent sage

I know you are keen to bash Boris (it seems to have been much more virulent since you moved to Scotland, so May be you are trying to fit in). But you should be careful about who you cite so approvingly

Otherwise people may just think you’re a crackpot
    Susan Michie is on the formal SAGE. She thinks face masks and distancing should be here forever. She’s also a member of the communist party.

Steve Reichner is on a sub committee of the formal SAGE. And he spent yesterday morning railing against the health Secretary (with health in sarcastic speech marks) for his irresponsibility. He’s a behavioural scientist, with no grounding in infectious disease. He’s always been fond of tweeting his support for the Labour Party.

It’s no wonder the public get confused when you get “experts” (see I can use them too) who are unable to disentangle their personal politics from their professional public image.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Hurrah.

Can’t wait for the medal to arrive.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited July 2021

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Isn't he dead?
    This reminds me of when the EU won the noble peace prize or did i just dream that? Its all a bit naff , if the government think taking the knee is naff virtue signalling (I agree) this is also
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339

I was an NHS pensioner by dint of my late wife who was GP who died in late 2012. Because if their archaic rules, the bastards took it away from me when I remarried.. it still irks me.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Isn't he dead?
    This reminds me of when the EU won the noble peace prize or did i just dream that? Its all a bit naff , if the government think taking the knee is naff virtue signalling (I agree) this is also
    Not really. Organisations have won these prizes before. Unless you wish to scrap the prizes altogether, it seems an appropriate pick in the circumstances.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Hurrah.

I worked in the kitchen of Basingstoke DGH when I was a kid. Does that mean I get one too 😂
  • Options

"half the scientists" - nope.

What is interesting is that no actual major scientists are saying anything of the kind. All we have are the standard "iSAGE because I have a PhD in something" types. Note that they are sounding weaker and less... virulent than usual.

What is also interesting is that there are no flag flying of the "senior scientist briefs the Guardian" type. Which strongly suggests that the NHS/Government scientist groups are backing the decisions.
    Worth noting that there have been some notable departures from iSage, including Leicester's Prof Khunti (who has published excellent work on covid) and Prof Pollock, who is a Prof of Public Health, and quoted above by @Black_Rook
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Out of the three recent by elections , the tories won the one they were least odds-on to do so. We have definitely had peak tory and the odds did not recognise it last month - I expect they will in the future
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Elizabeth’s handwriting is surprisingly confident for a 90-odd year old.

I also notice she seems to be enjoying herself in her public outings.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

They should have chucked in “and future” ;)
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,808
    Foxy said:

Even if you don't get a physical medal , can you still put the initials after your name?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Isn't he dead?
    Not really. Organisations have won these prizes before. Unless you wish to scrap the prizes altogether, it seems an appropriate pick in the circumstances.
    Well , lets scrap the prizes then otherwise organisations become something they are not really . I am not even sure the NHS has had a good covid war . After all we have had restrictions for over a year to protect it.
  • Options

Out of the three recent by elections , the tories won the one they were least odds-on to do so. We have definitely had peak tory and the odds did not recognise it last month - I expect they will in the future

Or the market over-reacted to Hartlepool.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Whilst there is clearly an element of truth in Mike's header, especially in relation to B&S, I am glad that the government has recognised that it has more important things to do than throw all its time and resources into a couple of by elections. Ed Davey may have had nothing better to do than spend his days in C&A but Ministers certainly do.

This government faces difficult decisions and serious problems on a whole range of fronts. I remain a bit nervous that Javid is showing the same gung ho, slightly simplistic tendencies that he did during his brief and somewhat undistinguished time in the Treasury. I remain to be convinced that he was a good appointment.

That would be a fair point if the cabinets energies were being spent on sorting out the country rather than backstabbing and leaking against each other for their various misdemeanours.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Does anyone else here watch Countryfile? Interesting comment last night that, due to Brexit, lamb prices had gone through the roof, to the benefit of sheep farmers.

What was the mechanism? In normal times much lamb is exported.

To answer my own question, apparently the export season is just starting, and lamb prices are falling, but slightly better than last year:

https://ahdb.org.uk/news/sharp-drop-in-british-lamb-prices
  • Options

Foxy said:

Even if you don't get a physical medal , can you still put the initials after your name?
    I’d be surprised - it’s an award to the organisation. Malta might be a good precedent?
  • Options

Not just the market but the almost all parts of the Westminster media. I was just about the only one saying the LDs were great value in C&A and LAB in B&S.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

I’d be surprised - it’s an award to the organisation. Malta might be a good precedent?
    I was thinking of that one - Malta got a single collective GC and it's in the national museum at Valetta...
  • Options

Not just the market but the almost all parts of the Westminster media. I was just about the only one saying the LDs were great value in C&A and LAB in B&S.
    The Westminster media are dead as any kind of predictive or analytical force.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,849

Foxy said:

Only if you are an absolute fanny
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,939

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Isn't he dead?
    I don’t hire anyone who hasn’t won at least last two Nobel prizes, and spent a couple of years dead.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,468
    edited July 2021
    Interested in the award of the GC. And whether that will mean that all NHS staff who have been employed during the pandemic get to have GC after their name?

What weight does such a symbol carry in today's culture?

And what does it mean if politicised? Imo inevitably. I wonder if the Unions will start using a line such as "Thank-you nicely, but where's the payrise", TUs being intensely materialistic in practice?".

The best analogue I think I can come up with is Malta's GC.

Just reflecting.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Hurrah.

I worked in the kitchen of Basingstoke DGH when I was a kid. Does that mean I get one too 😂
    No, hospital food is rubbish, anyone involved in that should consider themselves lucky they aren't facing charges of crimes against humanity.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

Elizabeth’s handwriting is surprisingly confident for a 90-odd year old.

I also notice she seems to be enjoying herself in her public outings.

The Merry Widow.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    edited July 2021
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

Only if you are an absolute fanny
    .. so its MalcolmgC then.....
  • Options
    Thanks for the header, Mike.

Tend to agree on the Tory complacency in these campaigns.

Will anyone wake up?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,318
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Science is not decided by voting!

Personally I am quite concerned by the Delta wave, though clearly vaccinations are having a big impact on admissions and deaths, or at least yet.

I think that most restrictions should go though probably not in Health and Social care. It is daft to restrict weddings while allowing tens of thousands at football etc
    Yes it is, though strictly speaking, aren't the football, Wimbledon and other sporting events only trials or pilots under the Events Research Programme?

The warm public reception to the ERP has demonstrated the central role such events play in our lives. The ERP has allowed over 20,000 spectators to walk through Wembley’s turnstiles for the FA Cup Final and over 13,000 people to attend dance and music events over a Bank Holiday weekend in Liverpool – the return of such events, with comprehensive pre-event testing, at a scale not seen anywhere since the beginning of the pandemic. Over the course of 17 days in Sheffield, we brought full capacity audiences back into an event for the first time to watch the World Snooker Championship. At the BRITs we saw the return of an international music awards ceremony, with an audience, including key workers, participating in an evening celebrating the best of British talent. The joy of the over 58,000 people who attended the pilots and the positive response to these events, showed just how much the country has missed such occasions.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/events-research-programme-phase-i-findings/events-research-programme-phase-i-findings
  • Options
    On topic as William Hague put it so well years ago the Tory party only knows two moods, 1) Complacency and 2) Blind panic.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Hurrah.

No, hospital food is rubbish, anyone involved in that should consider themselves lucky they aren't facing charges of crimes against humanity.
    I’ll never forget, sitting with my wife in the maternity ward, the coffee trolley paying a visit.

“Coffee please,” said my wife, before being handed some cremated gerbil in boiling water.

“Coffee too, please” I said.

“One drink per bed,” the orderly snarled, then trundled to the next room.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    There's something life affirming about Hartlepool being peak Tory.

• Options

Sometimes I think there's a little shop somewhere on the Bayswater Road. Inside, cages contain slavering scientists fed with copies of the Guardian and New Scientist. Outside, a whip-carrying man shouts his trade.

"Roll up! roll up! Pick your scientist here! All views on offer! Choose the one that best fits your own! All highly qualified! Roll up! Roll up! Special offers on media-experienced narcissists! We've got physicists, biologists, chemists, geologists... all willing to opine outside their speciality! Roll up! Roll up!"

(Salesman):
    "Ah, hello sir!"

(Customer):
    "Ah, yes. I'd like someone to opine that Covid means the extinction of all mankind."

(Salesman twitches his moustache as he leads the customer to a foul, dark cage)
    "Ah sir, I have the very one. This gentleman here is a theoretical physicist; he's been on BBC, ITV and Sky, writes regularly for The Guardian and the Mail."

(Customer examines the scientist's hooves and teeth)
    "Wasn't this one on Sky just last week, saying that Covid was all a fiction and we should get back to normal immediately?"

(Salesman):
    "Ah yes, sir. All my scientists are quantum-trained: capable of holding three thousand views consecutively. They all collapse down to one view once they know that you want it to be."

A business plan..... When should we form the limited company?

How do you raise your scientists - free range, or confined in small common rooms with piles of out of date TES?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Thanks for the header, Mike.

Tend to agree on the Tory complacency in these campaigns.

Will anyone wake up?

Hope not.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,318
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Foxy said:

I think that we have to share a medal, so selling it may not boost funds much!

Well that’s the front page of this year’s NHS Annual Report sorted
    I expect there will be more than a few who print and mount that letter, with various degrees of irony.
  • Options
    Actually thinking about it, circa 1998 I helped my father and his department use Excel.

'Scuse me whilst I go and update my business cards to add GC to my many post nominals.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Isn't he dead?
    Appeasing and nourishing the NHS-shagging hordes.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    " The party was fighting hard on two fronts against the Tories as well as a nasty and personal misogynist effort against the LAB candidate whose sister was murdered five years ago. The Tory campaign there should have called that out more."

The Tory campaign .......

What about the Labour campaign for starters?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,969

Yes. We were surprised at the comment, given the doom and gloom we have heard from farming representatives.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,144
    Congratulations to Foxy on the award of the George Cross.
    My late brother-in-law had a Nobel prize (awarded to UN blue berets in 1988) on the same basis.
    All must have prizes.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Charles said:

Foxy said:

Hurrah.

Does Harold Shipman a posthumous one?
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Charles said:

Foxy said:

I was thinking of that one - Malta got a single collective GC and it's in the national museum at Valetta...
    I was wondering what had happened there. I've never come across a Maltese who put GC after their name. Even one or two were were actually alive during the Siege.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,511
    Interesting article. But you could say instead of the Tories:
    C&A fits a long tradition of LD byelections in Tory seats.
    In B&S the Tories polled better (34.4%) than in 2010 and 2015.
    So possibly less to see here than people think.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    MattW said:

Interested in the award of the GC. And whether that will mean that all NHS staff who have been employed during the pandemic get to have GC after their name?

What weight does such a symbol carry in today's culture?

And what does it mean if politicised? Imo inevitably. I wonder if the Unions will start using a line such as "Thank-you nicely, but where's the payrise", TUs being intensely materialistic in practice?".

The best analogue I think I can come up with is Malta's GC.

Just reflecting.

It’s for all staff past and present over the entirety of its existence.

Perhaps it’s a winding up order masquerading as an award? ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Hurrah.

I’ll never forget, sitting with my wife in the maternity ward, the coffee trolley paying a visit.

“Coffee please,” said my wife, before being handed some cremated gerbil in boiling water.

“Coffee too, please” I said.

“One drink per bed,” the orderly snarled, then trundled to the next room.
    At my hospital food is not rubbish. Fairly simple, and not gourmet. But not unacceptable.

Menu here:
    https://www.sfh-tr.nhs.uk/media/3617/steamplicity-1.pdf

But massive strides over a couple of decades.

And there's a heartkiller menu in one of the staff facilities, which is OK but for some reason gets quite overpriced at lunchtime compared to breakfast.

A PB problem is that people remember things from 30 years ago when they were under 30 :-) .
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,511

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Hurrah.

Half of all healing is nutrition. No healing can happen without good nutrition. It's much cheaper than doctors, nurses and drugs and everything else which make up then other (essential) half.

• Options

Charles said:

Foxy said:

Hurrah.

It varies markedly. When I was at Guidford Hospital the local college had its catering students on placement, and the food was excellent. St James Hospital Balham (closed) had superb Italian catering staff, brought over in the 1950s. Lincoln does an excellent cooked breakfast, and traditional steamed puddings are usually a good bet most hospitals as they cook better on a large scale. The salads are usually poor. The ethnic menus are worth a perusal as often catered in by local restaurants.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: some very good days for Red Bull of late.

Last year, Verstappen had one DNF and finished 33s off the lead at the other race at that circuit. At Hungary in 2020 he was 8s off the lead.

That may not bode well for Mercedes, but we shall see. Hamilton's floor damage does make pace comparison a little more difficult.
This discussion has been closed.