Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

For the English there is only one story tonight and it is not about politics – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,617

Really don't want Sweden out, I had a load of ABBA and Ikea related puns at the ready.

As long as you don't chicken out of your Kiev puns you'll be OK.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,649
    dixiedean said:

Mail focussing on Prince William being there and clapping.

Why the heck can't Prince George be allowed to dress like a child?
    They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
    They may not mean to, but they do.
    They fill you with the faults they had
    And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
    By fools in old-style hats and coats,
    Who half the time were soppy-stern
    And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
    It deepens like a coastal shelf.
    Get out as early as you can,
    And don’t have any kids yourself.

Philip Larkin

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,562

Really don't want Sweden out, I had a load of ABBA and Ikea related puns at the ready.

You did You did You did You did You did !
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,454
    Foxy said:

I'm hoping Ukraine have a meltdown on Saturday.

Or is that just a bit too tactless?

They might steppe up to the challenge.
    Back in 2018 when I went to Kyiv for the 2018 Champions League final I started getting targeted ads for things like this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-46923899
  • Options
    borisatsunborisatsun Posts: 188
    edited June 2021
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Ukraine? “Sweden”? Are these even countries, technically?

Who the fuck speaks Swekrainian, or whatever they call it

They should just give England the cup now, and we can let Scotch people briefly touch it once every three years on the special day they eat cooked meat under a roof

Don't do this. You're spoiling things.
    For you, Kinabalu, for you
    No, you were writing the team off whilst I was behind them and calling it all spot on.

So I can celebrate but you can't. If you do it's inauthentic and it spoils my glow - which is unfair because I've earned it.
    The truly painful thing here is that you slightly believe this, don’t you?
    It is a real issue, yes. I'm feeling bullish and vindicated - just generally very UP - but I can't be sharing joy with you if you're going to get all jingoistic. We need to agree on a lingua franca for celebrating England wins. Exuberant but with boundaries.
    You could just let everyone enjoy it their own way, and stop trying to police thoughts on here.
    Just let everything go and be a chap? That would be too easy. Couldn't live with myself if I did that. Not how I was raised.
    At least stop pretending (or imagining) you can mind read. We all know you can't.
    I can't mind read - but given written material to work with, I imagine I can do a lot. Hence why I find PB so fascinating. People really express themselves on here, often unwittingly.
    FTFY
    See, as an example, I can deduce here that I've said something to you and about you at some point that is either wide of the mark or totally spot on. That's right, isn't it?
    Wrong again.

Stop it. You're no good at it, so you frequently make unpleasant and false accuations about people. And you do it like a smug prick.
    What, so when I called you a supercilious, noddy-brained, anti-muslim, transphobic bigot, it was neither wide of the mark nor totally spot on?
    QED
    I think so.
    You agree with Abbott about gays being the same as giraffes (who don't have loving relationships between males; they rape other males to establish dominance - just like gays?!). That's seriously homophobic.

You think that "proper cis men" watch the football. So you think that trans men don't? Or that non football watching men aren't "proper" cis men? There's something really bigoted about your thinking there.

I'm getting the hang of this. It is quite fun, isn't it?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,813
    Foxy said:

I'm hoping Ukraine have a meltdown on Saturday.

Or is that just a bit too tactless?

They might steppe up to the challenge.
    TSE just Potemkting fate.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

(That's) the name of the game.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,218
    Foxy said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

moonshine said:

Suffering your first trauma with the England football team as a child is a bit like breaking up with your first love. You never fully get over it, though time’s a healer. In this case, a very long time but we got there in the end!

That sobbing German girl in the pictures at the end is every one of us, be it 1970, 90, 96 or whenever else. You’ll be ok lass. Just not tonight.

For me it was the injustice of the maradona handball. First realised that life could be unfair, and uefa wasn’t going to order the game replayed.
    And yet, no sport emphasises that life is unfair as much as football.
    You don't always finish a football tournament which England are in feeling cheated - but it's more common than not.
    I never feel that way seeing England crash out of the RWC or losing the Ashes. If you lose at cricket or rugby it's almost always a side matter of the other side being better. I mean, I remember England losing the final of the 2007 RWC by the width of Matt Tait's boot - but losing faith and square. But football gives so many opportunities for disappointment and bitterness.
    Yes, that is one reason that makes football such a great game. The best team doesn't always win. That unpredictability is key.
    And the curse of the England fans is that we always feel the team should do well, or even win the whole thing, but we fear that the pattern will repeat itself - a horrible combination of belief, entitlement and dread.
    England as a nation has a superiority complex - understandable, given our history - mixed with neurotic, sporadic bouts of low self-esteem

It is the classic mindset of a high-achieving alcoholic, FWIW
    When precisely did Britain lose its unquestioning confidence? Was it the 50s or 60s?
    The surrender of Singapore. The death knell of the Empire.
    No, long before then.

First day of the Somme. 1 July 1916

Every great European nation lost its intrinsic self-confidence in World War One. For us it was the Somme, for the French, during Verdun, for Germany, sometime in late 1917

Austria and Italy lost it, mutually, during the White War, and so on

A more interesting question is when did the USA lose its nerve

9/11? The election of Trump? Somewhere in between?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

They should just give England the cup now, and we can let Scotch people briefly touch it once every three years on the special day they eat cooked meat under a roof

No, you were writing the team off whilst I was behind them and calling it all spot on.

So I can celebrate but you can't. If you do it's inauthentic and it spoils my glow - which is unfair because I've earned it.
    It is a real issue, yes. I'm feeling bullish and vindicated - just generally very UP - but I can't be sharing joy with you if you're going to get all jingoistic. We need to agree on a lingua franca for celebrating England wins. Exuberant but with boundaries.
    You could just let everyone enjoy it their own way, and stop trying to police thoughts on here.
    Just let everything go and be a chap? That would be too easy. Couldn't live with myself if I did that. Not how I was raised.
    At least stop pretending (or imagining) you can mind read. We all know you can't.
    I can't mind read - but given written material to work with, I imagine I can do a lot. Hence why I find PB so fascinating. People really express themselves on here, often unwittingly.
    FTFY
    See, as an example, I can deduce here that I've said something to you and about you at some point that is either wide of the mark or totally spot on. That's right, isn't it?
    Wrong again.

Stop it. You're no good at it, so you frequently make unpleasant and false accuations about people. And you do it like a smug prick.
    What, so when I called you a supercilious, noddy-brained, anti-muslim, transphobic bigot, it was neither wide of the mark nor totally spot on?
    QED
    I think so.
    You agree with Abbott about gays being the same as giraffes (who don't have loving relationships between males; they rape other males to establish dominance - just like gays?!). That's seriously homophobic.

You think that "proper cis men" watch the football. So you think that trans men don't? Or that non football watching men aren't "proper" cis men? There's soimething really bigoted about your thinking there.

Very good. What was your old PB handle btw?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Andy_JS said:

It's going to be 27 degrees in Rome on Saturday at 8pm. Not ideal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3169070

Will certainly suit them more than us. It will at least be dusk by then so no direct sunshine. But you are right that it’s a factor.
    I think it suits us, I know our match didn't go into ET but we've got a much stronger bench and they REALLY lacked for fitness after 90 there. I think England has the fitness edge which is what os needed in the heat.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    England v Italy for the final.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

moonshine said:

Suffering your first trauma with the England football team as a child is a bit like breaking up with your first love. You never fully get over it, though time’s a healer. In this case, a very long time but we got there in the end!

That sobbing German girl in the pictures at the end is every one of us, be it 1970, 90, 96 or whenever else. You’ll be ok lass. Just not tonight.

For me it was the injustice of the maradona handball. First realised that life could be unfair, and uefa wasn’t going to order the game replayed.
    You don't always finish a football tournament which England are in feeling cheated - but it's more common than not.
    I never feel that way seeing England crash out of the RWC or losing the Ashes. If you lose at cricket or rugby it's almost always a side matter of the other side being better. I mean, I remember England losing the final of the 2007 RWC by the width of Matt Tait's boot - but losing faith and square. But football gives so many opportunities for disappointment and bitterness.
    Yes, that is one reason that makes football such a great game. The best team doesn't always win. That unpredictability is key.
    And the curse of the England fans is that we always feel the team should do well, or even win the whole thing, but we fear that the pattern will repeat itself - a horrible combination of belief, entitlement and dread.
    England as a nation has a superiority complex - understandable, given our history - mixed with neurotic, sporadic bouts of low self-esteem

When precisely did Britain lose its unquestioning confidence? Was it the 50s or 60s?
    No, long before then.

Every great European nation lost its intrinsic self-confidence in World War One. For us it was the Somme, for the French, during Verdun, for Germany, sometime in late 1917

An American friend says it was November 1963.

Days after the President is assassinated the prime suspect is shot dead live on TV whilst surrounded hundreds of police officers, FBI agents, and Secret Service agents like you'd expect in a banana republic.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

Winning our group was definitely better than coming runner up!

As I kept telling everyone on here.
    It was just the mental block of having to get past Germany. I'm still not sure whether it happened and any minute UEFA will put out a press release saying there needs to be a replay in Munich but because English people can't travel to Germany we're disqualified.
    Absolutely. The whole thing has been a bizarre dream. We’ll have lost to them on pens by the morning.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

moonshine said:

No, long before then.

The Tet offensive, sealed with the fall of Saigon.

(Soon to be replicated in Afghanistan).

The Somme was a slaughter, but ultimately a stalemate against the best army in Europe.

The fall of Singapore to the Japanese foreshadowed the End of Empire. Humiliation by a non European power.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

FTFY
    Wrong again.

QED
    I think so.

You think that "proper cis men" watch the football. So you think that trans men don't? Or that non football watching men aren't "proper" cis men? There's something really bigoted about your thinking there.

Point of order, it wasn't Diane Abbott, it was Dawn Butler.
  • Options

(That's) the name of the game.
    Must leave a hole in your soul...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Fucking American vote counting shit. I'm about to lose a hundred quid on thr NYC Dem nomination market because New York is so fucking slow and disorganised in counting votes.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,406
    kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Yes, I thought that was a bit odd and rather sad. Blazer, shirt and tie for the little chap.
    Prince George was wearing an American-style tie (stripes go the other way from William's). A present from Harry & Meghan?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,642
    Alistair said:

Fucking American vote counting shit. I'm about to lose a hundred quid on thr NYC Dem nomination market because New York is so fucking slow and disorganised in counting votes.

Never heard of a time limit before for this sort of bet. Which firm is it?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,218

Leon said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

moonshine said:

No, long before then.

Days after the President is assassinated the prime suspect is shot live on TV whilst surrounded hundreds of police officers, FBI agents, and Secret Service agents.
    God no, America remained pre-eminent long after that. FFS they put a man on the moon in 1969! A feat achieved by no other nation since, let it be noted

American decline only really kicked in this century. Arguably the pivotal moment was 9/11, which made them dedicate so much blood and treasure to a pointless war in Iraq (like Britain in the Boer War?), but US relative decline has only become starkly obvious since about 2010-2015.

Perhaps future generations will indeed see Covid-19 as the final turning point, when China took over
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

FTFY
    Wrong again.

QED
    I think so.

Quite right, but I'm a bigot and they all look the same to me.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,236
    Zero covid scientists must be gutted tonight as England collectively jumps, yells, hugs, screams and throws beer.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Andy_JS said:

Will certainly suit them more than us. It will at least be dusk by then so no direct sunshine. But you are right that it’s a factor.
    Why would it suit Ukraine more than England? The Ukraine is hardly known for its sunny weather, is it?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Alistair said:

Who is going to win that ?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

FTFY
    Wrong again.

QED
    I think so.

And ze ne regrette rien...

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2019/10/31/dawn-butler-gay-giraffe-row-regrets-robert-peston-itv-labour/
  • Options
    Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    16m
    EXC: Double-jabbed Brits won’t have to isolate for 10 days if they come into contact with Covid victim from July 19…
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Why would it suit Ukraine more than England? The Ukraine is hardly known for its sunny weather, is it?
    The Black Sea Coast used to be the Mediterranean of the USSR.

That's where they sent Rodnina and Zaitsev for a holiday to get to know each other.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    16m
    EXC: Double-jabbed Brits won’t have to isolate for 10 days if they come into contact with Covid victim from July 19…

A Covid victim is presumably someone who has died of Covid... Right?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Looks like Garcia, despite Adams having a 9% lead in the first round vote. But they've shifted to AV and on the initial re-allocation of 2nd/other prefs she is only 2% behind. Now just absentee ballots left to count where she has a big edge.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Never heard of a time limit before for this sort of bet. Which firm is it?
    Oh its still in play, the Dem nomination is 2 round rank choice voting. On the initial numbers it looked like Adams had it baring an amazing round of 2nd preferences and I piled on (driven in part by my anger at missing out on laying Yang who had ridiculously been odds on favourite at one point)

But as ever with American voting, oops, whole pile of votes outstanding still to be counted.

Really it is my own fault for being so credulous about the announced vote totals.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

moonshine said:

No, long before then.

Days after the President is assassinated the prime suspect is shot live on TV whilst surrounded hundreds of police officers, FBI agents, and Secret Service agents.
    God no, America remained pre-eminent long after that. FFS they put a man on the moon in 1969! A feat achieved by no other nation since, let it be noted

American decline only really kicked in this century. Arguably the pivotal moment was 9/11, which made them dedicate so much blood and treasure to a pointless war in Iraq (like Britain in the Boer War?), but US relative decline has only become starkly obvious since about 2010-2015.

Perhaps future generations will indeed see Covid-19 as the final turning point, when China took over
    Nick Bryant musing on this exact question -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57517781
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021

Zero covid scientists must be gutted tonight as England collectively jumps, yells, hugs, screams and throws beer.

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    3h
    "yay Love Island is back :-)"

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1409950967798325249?s=20
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Very hot and humid summers there, but I wouldn't think it matters much.

More a question of whether England can play well away from Wembley.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999

Andy_JS said:

Certainly has warmer summers than England.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

Looks like Garcia is now the most likely to take it but theoretically (fingers crossed) she could be squeezed out.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,709
    Leon said:

No, long before then.

Probably the election of Obama. Before that, and they'd have stood up to China and all the shit its engaged in.
    Now... they just smile and hope it all goes away.

It's the Chinese century this one, although I truly wish it wasn't. They are not a 'good' superpower in any sense of the word.
  • Options

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    3h

F*ckety f*ckety f*ck !

(Gets coat)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

Yes, I thought that was a bit odd and rather sad. Blazer, shirt and tie for the little chap.
    Prince George was wearing an American-style tie (stripes go the other way from William's). A present from Harry & Meghan?
    Hope not.
    A tie for a 7 year old's present is beyond disturbing.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Certainly has warmer summers than England.
    Do they play much football in the summer?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

England v Italy for the final.

I'll take that. Great match up for us. We'll blow the bloody doors off.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

moonshine said:

No, long before then.

You could argue that not removing Saddam Hussein after he invaded Kuwait was the fatal loss of nerve that set the tone of complacency in the 1990s and sowed the seeds of the later neocon mistakes.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Andy_JS said:

Err… yes it is. Classic continental climate: long, Baltic winters and long, sweltering summers. Spring and autumn very brief.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

FTFY
    Wrong again.

QED
    I think so.

Quite right, but I'm a bigot and they all look the same to me.
    I believe a 1960s ITV sitcom might have just misplaced one of its less enlightened characters.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Euro 2020 Betfair prices and implied probabilities:-

1 England 3.15 31.7%
    2 Spain 4.2 23.8%
    3 Italy 5.5 18.2%
    4 Belgium 8.8 11.4%
    5 Denmark 12.5 8.0%
    6 Czechia 32 3.1%
    7 Switzerland 32 3.1%
    8 Ukraine 40 2.5%
    All quoted.

Italy likely have to beat Belgium, Spain and England.
    Should they really be 9-2 for all that ?
    I don't know. You'd need to factor in the chances they'd face Switzerland rather than Spain, or Ukraine instead of England. And it's late and I'm a bear of very little maths.

But ignoring that, Italy are 4/6 to beat Belgium. If Italy were the same price to beat Spain and England, that would come to only 7/2, so 9/2 would look generous. 9/2 is roughly 4/6 twice and even money.

So I don't know but assuming my sums are right, bearing in mind the lateness of the hour, then 9/2 is not outrageous.
  • Options
    Can relate.

• Options

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

A nice thought. It still looked rather poignant, though, seeing him decked out like that. Reminded me of Damien in The Omen. That scene where he was still innocent and didn't know what lay ahead, the terrible role he had to fulfill.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Prof. Christina Pagel
    @chrischirp
    ·
    3h

F*ckety f*ckety f*ck !

(Gets coat)
    Pagel is clearly demob happy!

She knows it is all over this week.

Javid is in. Hancock is out. Everyone is enjoying football and hugging each other as we win. This Saturday will be even madder.

And Delta is not the utter 'astroid hits earth and kills all life' she expected/hoped for.
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

moonshine said:

No, long before then.

Days after the President is assassinated the prime suspect is shot dead live on TV whilst surrounded hundreds of police officers, FBI agents, and Secret Service agents like you'd expect in a banana republic.
    Was it the killing of Lee Harvey Oswald where John Peel was present? He was certainly on the scene of one of the famous American assassinations but there were so many.
  • Options

Can relate.

Mrs Foxy cannot resist either. Each year she gets drawn in.

• Options

Andy_JS said:

Err… yes it is. Classic continental climate: long, Baltic winters and long, sweltering summers. Spring and autumn very brief.
    Yes but getting back to football, you'd need to see where each player's club is, to see where they are likely acclimatised.
  • Options
    Matthew Highton
    @MattHighton
    I mean, it was too easy not to.

https://twitter.com/MattHighton/status/1409924188593393664
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

moonshine said:

No, long before then.

Was it the killing of Lee Harvey Oswald where John Peel was present? He was certainly on the scene of one of the famous American assassinations but there were so many.
    Yep.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Can relate.

Grounds for divorce in this household...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    16m

Have people really been doing that?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Can relate.

Keeps her out of trouble...

She always boots me off the sofa when it comes on, as I cannot resist sniping at the contestants.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

A nice thought. It still looked rather poignant, though, seeing him decked out like that. Reminded me of Damien in The Omen. That scene where he was still innocent and didn't know what lay ahead, the terrible role he had to fulfill.
    About half a century of pretending to be interested in children's choirs and tree planting ceremonies, another twenty years of talking to Prime Ministers and reading out their empty, banal platitudes each year in Parliament, and then merciful death. Or something.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Very hot and humid summers there, but I wouldn't think it matters much.

More a question of whether England can play well away from Wembley.
    In 1966, playing at Wembley was probably not in England's favour. There was a discussion between (iirc) Geoff Hurst and Jack Charlton where they talk about how the size and spongy nature of the Wembley pitch left them all knackered.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Can relate.

Keeps her out of trouble...

She always boots me off the sofa when it comes on, as I cannot resist sniping at the contestants.
    Sniping at the contestants?
    That may be the only thing that would persuade me to watch.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited June 2021
    kle4 said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    16m

Equally are they going to keep up the pretence of doing all the repeated regular testing that will be the replacement for the isolation?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Foxy said:

Can relate.

Grounds for me to get my PS4 controller out in mine.

Sorry I'm not as posh as TSE with a PS5.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Can relate.

PS5 exist.....I thought they were just as a mythical as the holy grail.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

Leon said:

No, long before then.

Probably the election of Obama. Before that, and they'd have stood up to China and all the shit its engaged in.

It's the Chinese century this one, although I truly wish it wasn't. They are not a 'good' superpower in any sense of the word.
    The Obama administration promoted the TPP to constrain China - you make all their neighbours a member of an economic bloc that is Western and rules based,

Trump then walked away from it, leaving it a much weaker entity.

He them imposed a bunch of sanctions on China, and then lamely dropping them all without saying anything?

What greater evidence of American decline than not even planning a proper sanctions campaign?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

moonshine said:

No, long before then.

Yep.
    I remember Peel saying it looked like the police had roughed Oswald up a bit.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

moonshine said:

No, long before then.

Yep.
    It is detailed here. Scroll past the who was JFK bit.

https://peel.fandom.com/wiki/John_F._Kennedy
  • Options
    BREAKING: North Korea, one of the few countries with no confirmed cases of coronavirus, reports "grave incident" due to lapse in anti-epidemic efforts - Yonhap
  • Options
    Well, the Round of 16 didn't disappoint.

Here are the highlights from our updated #EURO2020 predictions:
    ▪ #ESP is our new projected champion at 24.6%
    ▪ #ENG has a 48.5% chance of making it to the finals
    ▪ #UKR's initial 0.8% now sits at 4.1%

Full predictions below.👇

https://twitter.com/StatsPerform/status/1409999798560866310?s=20
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    16m

I would imagine rather a lot of people have been caught out by track and trace. You only have to have signed into a restaurant at around the same time as someone who later tested positive, and presumably they work their way backwards and tell you to lock yourself up?

That said, if The Sun has this right then it's the beginning of the end for the entire track and trace apparatus, because that would imply that most of the people they'll be tracing will either need to take no action, or might just be instructed to order a PCR test. It would certainly make sense if they're serious about moving on to the "living with the virus" stage of this thing, and also if they're planning on scrapping mass self-isolation for schoolkids by September.

One would presume that, bar the unlikely event of a variant rapidly arising that achieves substantial vaccine escape, they'd want to get to the point of advising symptomatic individuals to stay at home until well and perhaps take a test, testing to screen patients and staff in medical settings, and not much else. Especially if cases remain relatively common, we're never going to get back to normality until the drive to isolate all contacts to suppress community transmission is abandoned.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

moonshine said:

No, long before then.

Yep.
    You learn something new every day.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    Re English insecurity / inferiority to Germany at football.

Its curious it happens at a national level but not at club level.

Consider that in 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 and 1982 the English team defeated the West German team in the European Cup.

Or that between 1981 and 1985 Bayern Munich was knocked out by a British team each year - Liverpool, Aston Villa, Aberdeen, Tottenham, Everton.

And that was the era when German football was at its peak while the English national team was underachieving even more than normal.
  • Options

BREAKING: North Korea, one of the few countries with no confirmed cases of coronavirus, reports "grave incident" due to lapse in anti-epidemic efforts - Yonhap

If they're admitting they've got it then the situation is probably very bad indeed. Piles of corpses everywhere, one would imagine.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082

If they're admitting they've got it then the situation is probably very bad indeed. Piles of corpses everywhere, one would imagine.
    Fatso was looking emaciated recently.

I wonder what he's had.
  • Options
    Interesting report on use of Bitcoin in an El Salvador surf town...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvHN0MEBoZo
  • Options
    North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on COVID-19: Negligence led to a "grave incident that created a huge crisis for the safety of the country and the people"
  • Options

Well, the Round of 16 didn't disappoint.

Here are the highlights from our updated #EURO2020 predictions:
    ▪ #ESP is our new projected champion at 24.6%
    ▪ #ENG has a 48.5% chance of making it to the finals
    ▪ #UKR's initial 0.8% now sits at 4.1%

Full predictions below.👇

https://twitter.com/StatsPerform/status/1409999798560866310?s=20

Spain at 25% = 3/1 or 4 on Betfair, which is what it is. Presumably they think Spain will beat England in the final.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,337
    Meanwhile, Labour have come in to 4.6 in Batley and Spen (BF Exchange) - was 10 at the peak. Main drifter is Galloway, now out to 48 (was as low as 10 at one point). Tories 1.27 (were as low as 1.05). No new info from me - I thought it unwise to canvass during the game. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Meanwhile, Labour have come in to 4.6 in Batley and Spen (BF Exchange) - was 10 at the peak. Main drifter is Galloway, now out to 48 (was as low as 10 at one point). Tories 1.27 (were as low as 1.05). No new info from me - I thought it unwise to canvass during the game. :)

Are the Conservatives standing? They are favourites to win but most of the coverage is of Galloway and Leadbeater. And most of the rest is of mysterious third parties stalking or threatening, or forging leaflets. The Tory candidate barely gets a mention.
  • Options

Fatso was looking emaciated recently.

I wonder what he's had.
    Maybe he's been fitted with that magnetic device.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

The Conservatives were as high as 1.73 a long time after they traded 1.05 Nick, and the highest Labour have traded is 8
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    First it was too dangerous for kids to be in schools in case they catch COVID, now they are arguing it too dangerous to be sending kids home if they come into contact with somebody who has COVID....

Covid in Schools: Why are so many children self-isolating? - BBC Newsnight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6gs8EfaD58

• Options
    BREAKING: Chris Whitty says Hospitals can cope, so let’s end restrictions soon

Via @thetimes

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1410011875081850880
  • Options

Via @thetimes

He will have the Zero Covidians harassing him now...
  • Options

Via @thetimes

Dr Doom says though we are in for a tough winter....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Via @thetimes

Huge news, I think?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,625

Foxy said:

Can relate.

Just as with @TSE ‘s modesty, their existence in a few favoured hands is legendary, not mythical.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Can relate.

Just as with @TSE ‘s modesty, their existence in a few favoured hands is legendary, not mythical.
    I presume they must make a lovely paper weight, as there is bugger all to play on them...
  • Options

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on COVID-19: Negligence led to a "grave incident that created a huge crisis for the safety of the country and the people"

Is he saying he had it ?
    Not as though he gives a fnck for the rest of the country.

Would account for the weight loss, too.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

No, long before then.

The Obama administration promoted the TPP to constrain China - you make all their neighbours a member of an economic bloc that is Western and rules based,

Trump then walked away from it, leaving it a much weaker entity.

He them imposed a bunch of sanctions on China, and then lamely dropping them all without saying anything?

What greater evidence of American decline than not even planning a proper sanctions campaign?
    Electing Trump in the first place ?
  • Options
    Lookong at Team GB athletes for Tokyo, it has to be the weakest in quite a few Olympics. There won't be any super Saturday, in fact do well to win many medals, with not even Team GB for quite a few events as nobody good enough to qualify e.g. no representation for Mens 400m.
  • Options
    new @theipaper

Govt & NHS ramping up preparations for likely mix & match booster jabs this autumn

Decision not final - still waiting for more data to come in next few weeks

Vaccines Taskforce procuring supplies to ensure all options are on table

Story: https://t.co/nz2Sszxn8U
  • Options
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited June 2021

new @theipaper

Govt & NHS ramping up preparations for likely mix & match booster jabs this autumn

Decision not final - still waiting for more data to come in next few weeks

Vaccines Taskforce procuring supplies to ensure all options are on table

Story: https://t.co/nz2Sszxn8U

News here in the US this evening was saying they think that the mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) may not need boosters at all, at least with the currently-known variants. The non-mRNA Johnson&Johnson / Jansen vaccine may be a different matter though.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

Why do footballers get so many cramps ?
    Tennis players can play 4 hour matches at Wimbledon

How much distance does a tennis player cover in a match?

I know plenty of footballers cover >10km per match.
    See my post below - 7 miles vs 1 mile in the footballers' favour
    @TimT

Sorry, but I don’t buy your figures. Footballers, yes, around 10-11 km or 7 miles, but research suggests just one hour of singles tennis generates around 4-5 miles of running:

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a20845492/how-far-do-top-male-tennis-players-run-in-a-match/

And some players will be out on court for 2-3 hours, especially at Slams. So they’re often doing 50% more running. Moreover they have to run faster to cover the whole court.

The difference is that tennis players have to be super fit. Footballers are generally a bit above average in terms of fitness.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

@TimT

Sorry, but I don’t buy your figures. Footballers, yes, around 10-11 km or 7 miles, but research suggests just one hour of singles tennis generates around 4-5 miles of running:

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a20845492/how-far-do-top-male-tennis-players-run-in-a-match/

And some players will be out on court for 2-3 hours, especially at Slams. So they’re often doing 50% more running. Moreover they have to run faster to cover the whole court.

The difference is that tennis players have to be super fit. Footballers are generally a bit above average in terms of fitness.
    The article you cite starts out with this statistic: "Through three rounds of the tournament, Ferrer had run approximately 10,000 meters or 6.2 miles". So that is 2.1 miles per match for the player they cite as impressive.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    TimT said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

@TimT

The article you cite starts out with this statistic: "Through three rounds of the tournament, Ferrer had run approximately 10,000 meters or 6.2 miles". So that is 2.1 miles per match for the player they cite as impressive.
    The article is self contradictory, continuing: "As for recreational tennis players? The distances are about the same. In 2020, Fitbit reported that according to their user data, an hour of singles tennis generates around, on average, 10,680 steps, while an hour of doubles tennis generates, on average, 7,980 steps. That’s an equivalent of about 4 to 5 miles of running and 3 to 4 miles respectively depending on your stride length."

That is not the same as 6.2 miles for 3 matches. And it does not make any kind of intuitive sense. I know I'd far rather play an hour of amateur tennis (I used to quite a bit) than run 3-4 miles.

So I think the article is kind of crap. And the idea that professional footballers are not as fit as professional tennis players is also kind of barmy.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    TimT said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Pulpstar said:

@TimT

The article is self contradictory, continuing: "As for recreational tennis players? The distances are about the same. In 2020, Fitbit reported that according to their user data, an hour of singles tennis generates around, on average, 10,680 steps, while an hour of doubles tennis generates, on average, 7,980 steps. That’s an equivalent of about 4 to 5 miles of running and 3 to 4 miles respectively depending on your stride length."

That is not the same as 6.2 miles for 3 matches. And it does not make any kind of intuitive sense. I know I'd far rather play an hour of amateur tennis (I used to quite a bit) than run 3-4 miles.

So I think the article is kind of crap. And the idea that professional footballers are not as fit as professional tennis players is also kind of barmy.
    Because if you read it carefully, that’s the *average* he’d run in each round of the tournament.
This discussion has been closed.