Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Now a quarantine exemption plan for toffs – the rest of us will have to suffer – politicalbetting.co

Comments

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,488
    Who do we play next?
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Is it true on BBC1 Wales and BBC1 Scotland they aren't showing the England match but 'Wish You Were Here'?

BBC 1 Wales is showing the match as I am watching it on that channel
    Husband (who is Welsh and therefore a bit more dispassionate in this situation) predicted prior to the match that England would beat Germany and then somehow contrive to lose the quarter-final.

I may yet get a chance to see whether his theory is proven correct.

And many of us may also owe @Stocky an apology for laughing.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,167
    I gather we will be spared the traditional penalty shoot-out.
    Andy_JS said:

Who do we play next?

Sweden or Ukraine
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207
    Oh my days!!!!!

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,652
    Andy_JS said:

Who do we play next?

Sweden or Ukraine.

8pm on Saturday in Rome.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,019

Is it true on BBC1 Wales and BBC1 Scotland they aren't showing the England match but 'Wish You Were Here'?

*Whoosh*
    I wish it was "Wish you were Here" that was on.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,285

Andy_JS said:

Who do we play next?

Sweden or Ukraine.

8pm on Saturday in Rome.
    Timing sucks. I'm supposed to be driving to Ventura.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,614
    They think it's all over?
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I wonder if we'll be bookies favourites for the outright after this match as forecast on here?
    Loving the crowd too
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,377

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

ping said:

I’ve come to an uncomfortable conclusion on the euro outright market.

Germany, at ~7/1, are the value bet.

I can’t quite bring myself to back them, though!

England win tonight. You heard it here first.
    No, sorry, I've already said it a few times. We might not be lifting the trophy but we ARE going to the final. I'm very confident of this. And that's really all I want. Just for once, one of these big summer international football finals to have England in it. Used to feel the same about Tim Henman at Wimbledon and in his case it was an itch never scratched. His grass court peak lasted 5 years - and he was good - and yet every single Wimbledon final during that time ended up featuring 2 players who were not Tim Henman. It drove me mad. Guess it did him too.
    You have a (hypothetical) choice.

If England beat Germany, Conservatives will win Batley & Spen (feelgood factor - Boris).
    If Germany beat England, Labour will win Batley & Spen.

Which is it to be for you?
    I take the football.

2 world wars and 1 world cup and a Euro last 16 match!

☺☺☺

⚽ coming home
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Happy for Harry.

It’s just like watching GG era Arsenal.
    Winning the group, having this game at Wembley, then the rest of the draw definitely better than the Runner Ups draw.
    malcolmg said:

*Whoosh*
    I wish it was "Wish you were Here" that was on.
    You miserable git - so business as usual :wink:
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118

I wonder if we'll be bookies favourites for the outright after this match as forecast on here?

Yes already 5/2f on Betfair
    isam said:

Happy for Harry.

It’s just like watching GG era Arsenal.

When did Galloway play for Arsenal?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,995
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Who do we play next?

Sweden or Ukraine.

8pm on Saturday in Rome.
    Timing sucks. I'm supposed to be driving to Ventura.
    Doesn’t the Tesla do that for you yet ?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,488

Andy_JS said:

Who do we play next?

Sweden or Ukraine
    Not very knowledgable about football but I assume Sweden is more likely.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,120
    Floater said:

Loving the crowd too

Yes, me too. Makes a huge difference them being there.
    Also pleased to see any semblance of mask wearing has been abandoned.
    Great call @Stocky hope you got good odds!
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Gnud said:

From a Scottish pro-independence POV the ideal time for an indyref rerun would be shortly after England has won an international sporting competition, such as the World Cup or the Euros. The sight of the British prime minister and other British leaders, and some English ones too, celebrating the victory, congratulating the team, etc., would be enough to drive a proportion of "soft Noers" completely over the edge. Never mind that England played knockabout recently to try to help Scotland with a nil-all draw.

The effect could accumulate from as early as now, if England goes from success to success in the sporting world. So separatists, take down those German flags! Be as cunning at politics as you think you are! Oh wait - is something getting in the way?

Andrew Wilson, former SNP MSP, has been saying this for years.
    Pulpstar said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

You guys must be watching a different match to me. Apart from first ten minutes England has been the better side. Playing really well I think - better than the first three matches added together. Saka and Walker particularly good.

I've just backed England 2-0.

you would have been as well throwing it down a drain
    🤔👀👀👀👀🤣🤣🤣🤣😎😎😎😎🤣🤣🤣
    Humble pie is well deserved
    4 minutes extra stress err time
    Dutch neighbours clearly watching on some channel 10 seconds or so ahead of us. Takes some of the jeopardy out of England's successful attacks.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,258

Stocky is an awesome pundit when it comes to football.
    Floater said:

Mainly for Stocky who's probably hoping he doesn't lose the bet by us scoring too many.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,160
    edited June 2021

We already are favourites: 3.35 on Betfair.
    Federer-Mannarino now two sets all. Not that anyone else on here gives a stuff, I know.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,034
    England without the ball are exceptional. The next game could be the trickiest one they have.

Floater said:

Mainly for Stocky who's probably hoping he doesn't lose the bet by us scoring too many.
    Fingers crossed for him, though looks safe
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,576
    Wow just wow...
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,278
    It's coming home.
    Great result! Well done Southgate, Sterling, Kane and Stocky. ⚽⚽
    edited June 2021
    Just imagine just how good this England defence would be if Southgate picked the Bolton Baresi, Nat Phillips.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,459
    Finally, we beat the Germans!!!
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,179
    Leon said:

|FUCK OFF SOUTHGATE HATERS

Lol
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,648

Happy now you bunch of impatient gits?

yesssssss
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,603
    Well done Stocky :lol:
    Feck me - well done England
    Yes, I can now go and pee.
    Betfair prices & implied probabilities:-

1 England 3.15 31.7%
    2 Spain 4.3 23.3%
    3 Italy 5.5 18.2%
    4 Belgium 9 11.1%
    5 Denmark 12.5 8.0%
    =6 Czechia 30 3.3%
    =6 Switzerland 30 3.3%
    8 Sweden 50 2.0%
    9 Ukraine 85 1.2%
    All quoted.

Federer-Mannarino now two sets all. Not that anyone else on here gives a stuff, I know.

Over on BBC2, Mannarino has been forced to retire injured, though FWIW it looked like Federer had already turned it around by that point.

The other seed in his section of the draw is Cameron Norrie. That would be interesting...
  • StockyStocky Posts: 10,021
    malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

You guys must be watching a different match to me. Apart from first ten minutes England has been the better side. Playing really well I think - better than the first three matches added together. Saka and Walker particularly good.

!

Cough up drain
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Gnud said:

From a Scottish pro-independence POV the ideal time for an indyref rerun would be shortly after England has won an international sporting competition, such as the World Cup or the Euros. The sight of the British prime minister and other British leaders, and some English ones too, celebrating the victory, congratulating the team, etc., would be enough to drive a proportion of "soft Noers" completely over the edge. Never mind that England played knockabout recently to try to help Scotland with a nil-all draw.

The effect could accumulate from as early as now, if England goes from success to success in the sporting world. So separatists, take down those German flags! Be as cunning at politics as you think you are! Oh wait - is something getting in the way?

Andrew Wilson, former SNP MSP, has been saying this for years.
    Well, SKS gave us the afternoon off to support England & wave our St George's Flags, and that was just for the last 16.

Presumably if England get to the finals and actually win it, Boris and SKS will be vying with each other for the biggest bribes.

Boris will give every natural born Englishman the rest of the year off work & twenty grand in their pockets.
    Well I have to say that was some poor and curmudgeonly commentary by PB.com.

Superb performance by England.

Contained Germany well in first ten minutes then dominated throughout. If it wasn't for that poor pass by Stirling I'd say flawless by England.
    Thoughts and prayers for bellends like Laurence Fox right now.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,247
    Well done England and Gareth Southgate
    South Yorkshire won England that match.

Stones, Walker, and Maguire.

Two Sheffield lads and a Dingle.

It is why we haven't conceded a goal all tournament.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,648
    That was still a dire match, and England are horribly neGative, but....

WE BEAT GERMANY IN A MAJOR KNOCKOUT CHAMPIONSHIP

That's a big hoodoo - which has lasted my whole life? - home and hosed
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,278

Lee Anderson MP will feel a plonker if we win this!
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,080

Over on BBC2, Mannarino has been forced to retire injured, though FWIW it looked like Federer had already turned it around by that point.

The other seed in his section of the draw is Cameron Norrie. That would be interesting...
    I think it was evens until Mannarino went down. Tough.

dixiedean said:

Lee Anderson MP will feel a plonker if we win this!
    PB's Leon as well.

13.5, backed it at half-time. I'm kicking myself for only betting a puny £4.
    Leon said:

Wil do something for national mood too

isam said:

Leon said:

isam said:

Leon said:

England ALWAYS play it back. I give up. Even when there are clear attacking opportunities.

What has Southgate done to them?

Eight defensive minded players in the team does that.
    Why does Southgate get away with it?? Sack the fucker
    A v bland manager. Never really did much at club level, he’s just a safe FA suit.
    Yebbut Southgate says the right things on inclusiveness and diversity.

And that is what is important, after all.
    LOL.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,536
    Twenty minutes in the first half and 5-10 in the second. The rest was pretty dire if we're honest.
    I'm on Stirling for Golden Boot - backed after England's first game.

But my main winner on that market would be Sweden's Forsberg, who I tipped here five days ago at 130 with BF. Now 25.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,222
    Harry all is forgiven!
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,817
    I can't believe we beat Germany 2-0. They aren't the side they were.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,247
    Gnud said:

To be fair to Boris he also offered best wishes to Scotland and Wales before their Euros matches as the UK PM should do.

However regardless Gove has made clear this Tory government will refuse an indyref2 before the next UK general election and as Union matters are reserved to Westminster there is nothing the Nats can do about it. Even if they went to the Supreme Court it cannot overrule the Scotland Act 1998 confirming the future of the Union is reserved to Westminster and indeed it might even say an advisory referendum would be illegal without Westminster approval too

Really pleased for Pickford too, who’s also taken a hell of a lot of flack. I’d actually say he was man of the match.

He was brilliant. So was Walker and Stirling (except for that poor pass). Just a great team effort.

Really pleased for Pickford too, who’s also taken a hell of a lot of flack. I’d actually say he was man of the match.

Declan Rice as well.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,321
    Its f*cking coming home
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,476
    Amazing what happens when you actually put a creative player on the pitch.....
    The pressure on England only increases from this point forward. All of the most fancied teams actually to have got out of the second round - Spain, Italy and Belgium - are in the opposite half of the draw. They'll therefore be expected to make the final - and they'll arguably never have a better chance, either. A last gasp flop against Denmark in the semi-final would not be well-received...
  • GnudGnud Posts: 298
    Does the apparent fact that the CFR for delta is about the same as for seasonal flu while delta is far more infectious than common-or-garden SARSCoV2 and should rapidly out-reproduce it mean that barring a killer new variant we should be OK?
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Well, that was good want it. :)

I'm not normally a football person, but, what's next, do we know who the England Team are playing next? and when?
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,556
    Great performance from England. Sterling just huge. Good to see Kane scoring. Hopefully the booing twats might STFU now. They can make it right through to the final, then let's see.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,516
    That's the TV sorted for the next 50 years anyway.

Betfair prices & implied probabilities:-

1 England 3.15 31.7%
    2 Spain 4.3 23.3%
    3 Italy 5.5 18.2%
    4 Belgium 9 11.1%
    5 Denmark 12.5 8.0%
    =6 Czechia 30 3.3%
    =6 Switzerland 30 3.3%
    8 Sweden 50 2.0%
    9 Ukraine 85 1.2%
    All quoted.

That's presumably skewed by overexcited England fans though?
    Though - though I hate to say it, and I will never believe England will win on ITV - England look favourites to get to the final now.

Belgium looks good value to me, though maybe the lack of De Bruyne will hurt them.
    Is this were we go out with a crap performance to Sweden in the next round?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,683

Its f*cking coming home

Doesn't it have to go via Rome first?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,459
    BigRich said:

I'm not normally a football person, but, what's next, do we know who the England Team are playing next? and when?

Winner of Sweden v Ukraine, who are about to kick off. Saturday night.
    Gnud said:

Does the apparent fact that the CFR for delta is about the same as for seasonal flu while delta is far more infectious than common-or-garden SARSCoV2 and should rapidly out-reproduce it mean that barring a killer new variant we should be OK?

Yes, one certainly would've thought so, at least at our stage of the vaccination project.

In jurisdictions that aren't so far advanced in that respect things may not go nearly so well, of course.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,609

The pressure on England only increases from this point forward. All of the most fancied teams actually to have got out of the second round - Spain, Italy and Belgium - are in the opposite half of the draw. They'll therefore be expected to make the final - and they'll arguably never have a better chance, either. A last gasp flop against Denmark in the semi-final would not be well-received...

Talk about glass half empty.
    Stocky said:

He was brilliant. So was Walker and Stirling (except for that poor pass). Just a great team effort.
    Solid. No egos. This is on.

For me I just want final. Not too fussed about the trophy. Just want us in a big summer final. Too young for 66 so I've never seen it.
    edited June 2021
    You can see why Germany lost to France and struggled against Hungary though can't you. Gone downhill like a modern Mercedes.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Stocky said:

Bravo.
    This is a brilliant tournament now, isn't it? Anyone can beat anyone at this stage. As the florist in the village opined to me today.
    Best bit was looking at Sterling in the replay when Muller missed the goal after his errant pass.
    TOPPING said:

Twenty minutes in the first half and 5-10 in the second. The rest was pretty dire if we're honest.

Nope - it was good. Nobody's expecting Brazil 70 or France 84 or Holland 88.
    Sandpit said:

BigRich said:

Winner of Sweden v Ukraine, who are about to kick off. Saturday night.
    And Sweden and Ukraine are the rank outsiders in the betting, 50 and 85 respectively, so we will be expecting to win in Rome on Saturday to get through to the semi-finals.

Talk about glass half empty.
    I'm aiming to channel the energy of radical pessimism to propel them to a fabulous victory. It has worked a treat so far.
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Well England could play like that, they have the players.....
    stodge said:

Its f*cking coming home

Doesn't it have to go via Rome first?
    Giving an excellent opportunity for a rhyme in the inevitable reworked version of Three Lions.
    Stocky said:

malcolmg said:

Stocky said:

!

Cough up drain
    what odds did you get
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Not a footie fan I see. No shame in that.
    Leon said:

It was a good match and a good performance. It was broadsheet.

Don't be fooled by all that mayhem yesterday. That was exciting but loose and tabloid.

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Well England could play like that, they have the players.....
    I actually thought they would step up today. They didn't but did enough with the chances they made.
    It's coming, Rome.

It's coming, Rome.
This discussion has been closed.