Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The man who refused to be a sub to Dom is back in the cabinet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

tlg86 said:

Hard to know when the next Tory leadership election will take place and in what circumstances it occurs.

But I was very unimpressed with Javid at the last contest. I expected him to shine and when it came to it he just didn’t.

Agreed. Plus he flourished at Deutsche Bank which is always a red flag
    I presume he is highly numerate.
    But he comes across as a bit thick.
    How sweet. Believe that numeracy is needed to be a banker, especially a DB one ...... 😀
    You do have a thing about DB, don't you.

To be fair, IIRC, your experience makes you feel justified.
    Not just me. Ask @Charles. Or the regulators here.

'I'd rather hire Nick Leeson than an ex Deutsche Bank employee' is a mantra of some.

Plus there was this disgraceful behaviour.

Banker suspended after Sunday Mirror challenges Deutsche Bank over £10 taunt to nurses and doctors

Banker taunts nurses and ­doctors marching below by ­waving £10 note...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/banker-suspended-after-sunday-mirror-116013

Honestly he should have been sacked for that, he should have been waving £50 notes.

Then there's this.

A Tokyo judge on Wednesday handed a former Deutsche Bank salesman a suspended prison sentence for bribing a pension fund official with dinners and golf outings, and said more senior officials at the bank had “tacitly condoned” the practice.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-deutsche-securities-japan-idUKKBN0FL03Z20140716

Though this was a hatchet job, I've mentioned on here how important good suits are at work.

Deutsche MDs had £1.5k suits fitted while bank was firing staff

Two tailors photographed leaving Deutsche’s London headquarters on Monday were wrongly identified as fired employees

https://www.fnlondon.com/articles/deutsche-mds-had-1-5k-suits-fitted-while-bank-was-firing-staff-20190709
    I had the misfortune of attending Edson Mitchell’s notorious Christmas party (98?) in which young women were bussed in “to even up the gender balance”.

Ugh.
    Did they lock the doors to prevent you leaving?
    I was there with 7/8 friends and we stuck together and ignored the (very attractive) women with little ribbons pinned on their dresses. But I usually leave big events fairly early so probably did then too.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited June 2021

So in the end there were no polls published last night, even Opinium, apart from one Scottish poll?

A more positive report for Labour from B&S:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/27/chased-and-heckled-but-jo-coxs-sister-is-unbowed-in-election-fight

I still think we'll lose, but also that Galloway will not break 10%.

There was an Opinium but they said the vast majority of the fieldwork was pre Hancock.

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1408862878501773312
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Charles said:

ping said:

Alistair said:

Learnt a new detail about Hancock.

The man is a grade A shit

https://twitter.com/callumjodwyer/status/1408915831996747786?s=19

Sorry I gave you a chronic illness, I'm leaving you.

I agree he’s a shit for the way he treated his wife and kids, but that’s a trifle unfair!

That’s the problem with being a shit. You get blamed for anything and everything, however unfairly. Pile on!
    I provoked faux outrage last night suggesting that the man doesn't give a fuck about his kids or anyone who isn't him. From the ST piece "He had to wake up their youngest child to tell them that he was moving out".

Their youngest is 8. Mine has just turned 10. I cannot imagine putting them or me in a situation where I'm shaking her awake to tell her that I am leaving her and mummy and the other sibs in the middle of the night because I've been a dumb shit and my "nobody will ever know" tryst is all over the front pages of the newspapers.

I am not that bothered about the affair. People do daft (I haven't but I'm not being a prude). This wasn't daft, this was mindblowingly dumb. How on earth did he think that his "nobody will ever know" affair at work at the department whilst Health Secretary in the midst of a pandemic he personally was in charge of fixing would not get out and end like this.

So for all the people out there who haven't had sex with their bf/gf and haven't seen their loved ones at all or hugged them, for the people who had close friends and relatives die and not be able to do the basics like go to the funeral and console each other. For the Queen. Sat all alone at the funeral of her husband of decades. They obeyed the rules, he didn't. HIS rules. So don't give me this faux outrage bullshit. He thought of himself and himself only.
    Would it have been better for the 8 year old to wake up in the morning and find Daddy & all his stuff gone without him saying goodbye?
    Wait till the morning.
    Assuming he was given the choice.
  • Options

alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

The picture of the press surrounding Hancock's wife made me feel very uncomfortable.

The British media at its very worst. Leave the poor woman alone, she’s done nothing to deserve being on the front pages.
    Although there is an outside possibility she's invited them all around to put the boot in...
    Someone told the S Times the story about waking eight year old children up to tell them the news.

Who could it possibly be?
    Presumably 3 people knew…
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427
    Moving on from Oxford's very own Pina Colada, do we think 19th July is more or less likely to be Grand Reopening under Javid?

Keeping Hancock would have meant definite reopen imho as there is no way he could have presented a continuation of the measures and not be laughed out of the room.

iirc Javid has been sceptical of the extent of the lockdown?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,347
    I long ago knew I had no interest in trying to become an MP - I couldn't defend shit that I can't agree with. Lewis absolutely drew the short straw this morning but is that really the best he could come up with?

To be fair, it isn't as funny as his defence of his boss the Prime Minister. Lewis on record insisting there is no customs birder between GB and NI despite his department and therefore him having the responsibility for its operation.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,266
    For anyone thinking that the current incarnation of the Tory party (utterly shameless, no moral compass and the hide of a rhinoceros) is a new thing, the existence of Edwina is a useful corrective.

https://twitter.com/roseunwin/status/1409068967315087361?s=21
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited June 2021
    Charles said:

alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

The picture of the press surrounding Hancock's wife made me feel very uncomfortable.

The British media at its very worst. Leave the poor woman alone, she’s done nothing to deserve being on the front pages.
    Although there is an outside possibility she's invited them all around to put the boot in...
    Someone told the S Times the story about waking eight year old children up to tell them the news.

It's perfectly possible that the Sunday Times made it up! (or got it from a third party who made it up). Who's going to deny it?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

So in the end there were no polls published last night, even Opinium, apart from one Scottish poll?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/27/chased-and-heckled-but-jo-coxs-sister-is-unbowed-in-election-fight

Goodness NP - you aren't usually so downbeat about your chances. What on earth do you know? This was one I assumed would be a narrow hold even with the GG effect.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,305

There was an Opinium but they said the vast majority of the fieldwork was pre Hancock.

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1408862878501773312
    Interfering the article headline refers to her not by her name but by who her sister was.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Hancock was not an extraordinary man in any way. He is simply what happens when people are given far too much power and when the checks on that power are too weak.

Who gave Hancock that power? the electorate? No. The Prime Minister? no. The Queen? again no.

Ask Steve Baker. Chiefly, it was the labour party.

Baker has commented on how difficult it is to check government power when the opposition is on side. When the opposition is prepared to countenance Hancock again and again showing contempt for parliamentary democracy in our country.

Labour are Hancock's facilitators. They should be exposed as such.

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited June 2021
    alex_ said:

Charles said:

alex_ said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

It's perfectly possible that the Sunday Times made it up! Who's going to deny it?
    Quite possible it came from Hancock’s mouth, expecting sympathy.
  • Options

For anyone thinking that the current incarnation of the Tory party (utterly shameless, no moral compass and the hide of a rhinoceros) is a new thing, the existence of Edwina is a useful corrective.

Can you imagine Michael Foot or Neil Kinnock ever giving The Thatcher government the unhindered power labour has given Johnson, a vastly inferior alternative?
  • Options
    An amusing thread with a hint of verisimilitude..

https://twitter.com/mac_puck/status/1408706881837752320?s=21
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,821
    That is, just possibly, the sound of the beginning of the end for the Johnson administration.
    If Hancock had immediately been sacked, the whole thing would have rapidly been forgotten. The attempt to brazen it out and hang on to him triggered a level of public disgust I don’t think we’ve seen in years (it was one of the very few times I’ve not regretted listening to Any Answers).
    While most of that reaction was directed at Hancock, and it was very definitely the rules hypocrisy rather than the affair which triggered it, as the sordid details are raked over by the press, while his colleagues continue to defend the indefensible, I wonder if this government is rapidly running down its supply of goodwill and credibility.

As was pointed out upthread, you can make a case for many of the government’s questionable decisions over the pandemic, but it does require giving them the benefit of the doubt. There will be some, perhaps quite a large number of voters, who might previously have done so, who now won’t.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,314

Hancock was not an extraordinary man in any way. He is simply what happens when people are given far too much power and when the checks on that power are too weak.

Who gave Hancock that power? the electorate? No. The Prime Minister? no. The Queen? again no.

Baker has commented on how difficult it is to check government power when the opposition is on side. When the opposition is prepared to countenance Hancock again and again showing contempt for parliamentary democracy in our country.

I know you have your views on this, but do you ever consider that the majority of people in the country broadly agree with how the government has handled the pandemic? Many think we should have locked down sooner, and closed the borders, and instituted proper hotel based quarantine, and better support for self isolation. But the general thrust has widespread support, reflected in the approach of all the political parties.
    Even now there is support for not unlocking fully until the 19th.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,394

More victim blaming...and giving villains the ok to do what they do.
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 400
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Anyone else in mind, Mrs Gove?

The problem with the wife who has known you since way before you were king of the world is that she sees through your facade.

She knows your fears and your insecurities. She knows that, deep down inside, you are not the Master of the Universe you purport to be. And some people don’t like to be reminded of that.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9728749/SARAH-VINE-problem-wife-knows-youre-not-Master-Universe.html

The biggest problem in politicians marriages is the physical separation, with one life in the constituency and another in Westminster or Holyrood, the latter accompanied by young male and female groupies. I am surprised it doesn't happen more often.
    There are plenty of other jobs where people work long hours, are separated etc. Having an affair may well be understandable. But it is always a choice.
    Sure, many of my colleagues also work in geographically distinct locations only seeing each other at weekends, and often not that due to rotas and large regional rotations. Hospital trusts are not unknown, though I think rarer than they used to be.

I suspect that Vines is correct that the egotism of politicians is a predisposing factor too.
    There's also a sense that Parliament and Government departments are closed worlds where everyone is in it together. It's like a summer camp or a teacher training college etc. The number of staff in Parliament I know who end up meeting their spouse at work is pretty high.

On a different subject despite thinking what Hancock did was a resigning matter I do worry about the release of that footage. MPs are recorded more often than even they realise half the time. Civil servants and staff have to know an awful lot about MPs and like servants MPs have to get used to talking with each other in front of staff. If the discretion needed to sustain this relationship breaks down then the system can't operate and that would make scrutiny even more difficult.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Can you imagine Michael Foot or Neil Kinnock ever giving The Thatcher government the unhindered power labour has given Johnson, a vastly inferior alternative?
    IIRC Kinnock also helped give Thatcher's government the power to detain people and force them to undergo compulsory medical examinations via the Public Health (Infectious Diseases) Regulations 1985.

And wait until you hear about the powers Clement Attlee gave Churchill.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

I know you have your views on this, but do you ever consider that the majority of people in the country broadly agree with how the government has handled the pandemic? Many think we should have locked down sooner, and closed the borders, and instituted proper hotel based quarantine, and better support for self isolation. But the general thrust has widespread support, reflected in the approach of all the political parties.
    I'm instinctively sympathetic to the argument, but there is also the role of the devolved administrations, if one is looking for support for opponents of the Government from the "lockdown sceptic" wing. If Labour in Wales are generally in tune with English Government policy. If the SNP are generally in tune with English Government policy. Then it looks odd for the major opposition blocks at Westminster to be out of step with English Government policy. So ultimately it's partly driven by wishful thinking and frustration from feelings of impotence.

And it's not clear quite how the Opposition can have major influence on ministerial behaviour (as opposed to policy). That is why we have the Ministerial Code, and why the Prime Minister is supposed to be the arbiter of it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,916

IIRC Kinnock also helped give Thatcher's government the power to detain people and force them to undergo compulsory medical examinations via the Public Health (Infectious Diseases) Regulations 1985.

Was that not Chamberlain rather than Churchill? On the outbrteak of war? Emergency Powers Act?
  • Options

Duncan Smith supported the Iraq War. Blair supported Maastrict etc etc.

Government opponents on Govt backbenches will always find comfort in blaming the Opposition if they find their views aren't being listened to.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Nigelb said:

That is, just possibly, the sound of the beginning of the end for the Johnson administration.
    If Hancock had immediately been sacked, the whole thing would have rapidly been forgotten. The attempt to brazen it out and hang on to him triggered a level of public disgust I don’t think we’ve seen in years (it was one of the very few times I’ve not regretted listening to Any Answers).
    While most of that reaction was directed at Hancock, and it was very definitely the rules hypocrisy rather than the affair which triggered it, as the sordid details are raked over by the press, while his colleagues continue to defend the indefensible, I wonder if this government is rapidly running down its supply of goodwill and credibility.

As was pointed out upthread, you can make a case for many of the government’s questionable decisions over the pandemic, but it does require giving them the benefit of the doubt. There will be some, perhaps quite a large number of voters, who might previously have done so, who now won’t.
    Like you I rarely listen to Any Answers (though as it happens I think Anita Anand is a v.good presenter) but did tune in yesterday. The two most striking answers to my ear was one who said they wanted the Great to be put back in GB but the current imbroglio had made her lose faith that this would happen, and the other who said he was an admirer of Johnson but was greatly disappointed in his reaction to Hancock’s fckup. They seem to me to represent the foundations of project BJ, lose them and…
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Support for Scottish independence has slipped in recent months, according to a poll that suggests Yes voters would fall short of a majority if a referendum were held tomorrow.

The findings of a Panelbase poll carried out for The Sunday Times indicates that, excluding “don’t knows”, 48 per cent would back independence, down four points since April when support for breaking up the Union stood at 52 per cent. Support for the Union in today’s poll is 52 per cent, up four points.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/support-for-secession-falls-since-may-election-pd2vjtqbg

Canny Scottish electorate - keep Westminster on their toes by returning SNP administrations, keep Holyrood on its toes by prevaricating over independence. They have both where they want them.

Am I alone in feeling, like some EU people once thought of the U.K, “these people should just bugger off, they are just too disruptive to the rest of us”?
    I think if there was a U.K. wide vote on ending the union, it would be over.
    I dare say that you aren't, but two things:

1. The rest of the UK isn't leaving Scotland, so for most people it's very low down in their consciousness/list of priorities
    2. This is a pointless hypothetical, because the rest of the country isn't going to get a say in any of this

Ultimately, as in so many things, we are all just powerless spectators. You can argue that, so long as we're all nominally part of the same country, we shouldn't be - but we are. We're simply obliged to wait for however many years or decades it takes for them to sort their shit out.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

The government has strained every sinew to show the public the best side of restrictions. The bogus choice of 'safety' versus the 'risk' of liberty.

Now, with Hancock, we are starting to see a fuller reality.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Carnyx said:

Was that not Chamberlain rather than Churchill? On the outbrteak of war? Emergency Powers Act?
    Was both, I was thinking specifically of the 1940 version.

The Emergency Powers (Defence) Act 1940 extended the 1939 Act for another year, and provided for annual extensions by parliamentary resolution. It significantly extended the government's powers under the Defence Regulations to require persons "to place themselves, their services and their property at the disposal of His Majesty."

The Emergency Powers (Defence) (No. 2) Act 1940 enabled the creation of special courts to administer criminal justice in war zones, as well as authorizing them to punish offenders for violating the Defence Regulations.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

Got to admit, that would be chutzpah if Boris tried it in PMQs for pretty much any transgression: “Look at what you let us do!”
  • Options

Got to admit, that would be chutzpah if Boris tried it in PMQs for pretty much any transgression: “Look at what you let us do!”
    The failure is the media's. Why aren't they asking Rayner and Co well if you are so against the tories, why are you giving them so much f8cking power and for so long? are you going to continue?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063

IIRD Foot supported the Falklands War.
  • Options

IIRD Foot supported the Falklands War.
    He did,
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,880
    Hancock has cut through to “the youth”.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdPtT6eK/
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Good morning.

It's really come to something when you squeeze you own wife's arse and she tells you off for being too Hancockian.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Its a fair bet that these weekends events have certainly not help calm the nerves of Southern Tory MPs facing a LibDem in second place.

There must be a strand of decent, perhaps rather old fashioned, Toryism that is disgusted by Hancock's attempt to have one rule for himself and Pina Colada and another for everyone else (including incredibly the Queen).
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,369
    edited June 2021
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if the media were held to the same level of scrutiny as politicians. id est Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    If the media were scrutinised to the same level especially the Dail Mail and the Sun, closely followed by the Guardian and the Teleraph there would be carnage.

And while I am.on the subject , what the hell were the security services doing?
  • Options
    Trevor Philips talking about restrictions at his own daughter's funeral as Hancock was having it away is, in my opinion, required viewing.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900
    edited June 2021
    John Sergeant just described the Hancock affair as one of the most intriguing he can remember. 'With a background of the pandemic'......"and even the woman's name sounds like an Agatha Christie invention Gina Colandangelo. Somewhere between Gina Lollobigida and Pina Colada" A fun observation typical of Ex Millfield boy John Sergeant's sense of humour.

But as the program was finishing the BBC apologised for any offense it might have caused. I'm all for PC but i'm starting to worry that soon nothing will be acceptable.
  • Options

The failure is the media's. Why aren't they asking Rayner and Co well if you are so against the tories, why are you giving them so much f8cking power and for so long? are you going to continue?
    Because the public supported and still do overwhelmingly support lockdowns and restrictions.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Like you I rarely listen to Any Answers (though as it happens I think Anita Anand is a v.good presenter) but did tune in yesterday. The two most striking answers to my ear was one who said they wanted the Great to be put back in GB but the current imbroglio had made her lose faith that this would happen, and the other who said he was an admirer of Johnson but was greatly disappointed in his reaction to Hancock’s fckup. They seem to me to represent the foundations of project BJ, lose them and…
    She is very good indeed.
    Unflappable, and a very nice line in understated irony.
  • Options
    Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips
    ·
    1h
    Hope my husband doesn't start putting me first Matt Hancock style.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

You're angry with the Labour Party for not taking the view that liberties trump statism.

However cross you are with the CP, the LP would have been worse surely? Expecting the Opposition to automatically oppose so as to maintain checks and balances is neither realistic nor in line with underlying ideologies.
  • Options
    Roger said:

John Sergeant just described the Hancock affair as one of the most intriguing he can remember. 'With a background of the pandemic'......"and even the woman's name sounds like an Agatha Christie invention Gina Colandangelo. Somewhere between Gina Lollobigida and Pina Colada" A fun observation typical of Ex Millfield boy John Sergeant's sense of humour.

But as the program was finishing the BBC apologised for any offense it might have caused. I'm all for PC but i'm starting to worry that soon we aren't going to be able to say anything.

They think Agatha Christie will be offended?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Its a fair bet that these weekends events have certainly not help calm the nerves of Southern Tory MPs facing a LibDem in second place.

There must be a strand of decent, perhaps rather old fashioned, Toryism that is disgusted by Hancock's attempt to have one rule for himself and Pina Colada and another for everyone else (including incredibly the Queen).
    No. The disgust should be with his fellow parliamentarians of all stripes. They gave him his exalted power and allowed him to exercise it without sufficient check and balance.

I believe Hancock discredits our entire political class. Let's face it. The chief sentiment towards Hancock amongst his peers was envy.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,549
    Re Matt Hancock and won't someone think of the children.

It will not have been much fun for the children to find that mummy or daddy won't live there any more but single-parent families are hardly unknown.

From ONS:
    There were 2.9 million lone parent families in 2019, which is 14.9% of families in the UK; London has the highest proportion (19.1%), while the South West of England (10.9%) has the lowest.
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/families/bulletins/familiesandhouseholds/2019
  • Options
    Stocky said:

You're angry with the Labour Party for not taking the view that liberties trump statism.

However cross you are with the CP, the LP would have been worse surely? Expecting the Opposition to automatically oppose so as to maintain checks and balances is neither realistic nor in line with underlying ideologies.
    Labour's policies are their business. All I am doing is pointing out the glaring hypocrisy of condemning a person for wielding power you yourself endowed.
  • Options

Trevor Philips talking about restrictions at his own daughter's funeral as Hancock was having it away is, in my opinion, required viewing.

No it isnt.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    That Opinium poll (pre-Hancock) has some unreported details of interest - e.g. 49% favouring either rejoining the EU or having a closer relationship. Starmer's ratings compared with Johnson's recovering modestly as well.

https://www.opinium.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Opinium-Political-Report-25th-June-2021.pdf
  • Options

Stocky said:

It's not about underlying ideologies, is it?

The Labour Party has supported the use of lockdown and other restrictions from the start in order to reduce the spread of Covid and minimise as far as possible the numbers dying from this deadly disease. It's a public health response, not an ideological response. Opposing such restrictions would have meant the LP not caring so much about these aims, which I'm not sure would have been either sensible or popular.
    Its extraordinary how much faith some people have in those who represent us, even when faced with the truth of their attitude to the restrictions from Hancock.

Where did Britain get this extraordinarily supine mindset come from? the government knows best bullsh*t?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,392
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

ping said:

Alistair said:

Learnt a new detail about Hancock.

The man is a grade A shit

https://twitter.com/callumjodwyer/status/1408915831996747786?s=19

Sorry I gave you a chronic illness, I'm leaving you.

I agree he’s a shit for the way he treated his wife and kids, but that’s a trifle unfair!
    My money is on the affair having gone on for years. The ‘started in May’ line is just a desperate attempt to head off concerns around the appointment.
    Mine too.
    It would be remarkably passionate if it had been going on for years unless there has been a long Covid related hiatus, which is possible I suppose. This had the smack of new love about it as I think some remarked yesterday.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I have some sympathy with Cummings on this. The Saj was not great as Chancellor during his brief spell. I remember a financial statement where he was consistently told off for spending nearly all of his time attacking Labour by the Speaker. It was, frankly, an embarrassingly poor effort. He seemed out of his depth in a way that Rishi simply doesn't, notwithstanding having a similar background in finance.

He's clearly not stupid and we can only hope that he has learned from that experience but social care in particular is going to need a much more conciliatory approach since any long term solution will ideally be cross party. I am not sure on the basis of his previous experience that that is his style.

Personally, I would rather have had Hunt back if he had been willing to do it. He probably has a better grip of these issues than anyone in government and has kept on top of them with his select committee role. Zahawi would have been another possibility. What Boris clearly wanted was someone who would slot in with no other reshuffle at this point and the Saj does achieve that. I hope I am wrong in this but Health and Social Care Secretary is going to be at least the third most important job in the government after PM and Chancellor over the next couple of years. I am not completely convinced Javid is the man for that.

It is, and I’m fairly sure that he isn’t.
    Hunt would have been a far better appointment if only because he has more than a faint clue if what the job entails.

That said, I’m looking forward to the social care plan which the Hancock resignation letter assured us was not only oven ready, but almost full baked…
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002

Heartbreaking. Phillips’ voice trembling as he started to ask the question brought a tear to my eye

https://twitter.com/ridgeonsunday/status/1409062797858770946?s=21
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,701
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

I have some sympathy with Cummings on this. The Saj was not great as Chancellor during his brief spell. I remember a financial statement where he was consistently told off for spending nearly all of his time attacking Labour by the Speaker. It was, frankly, an embarrassingly poor effort. He seemed out of his depth in a way that Rishi simply doesn't, notwithstanding having a similar background in finance.

He's clearly not stupid and we can only hope that he has learned from that experience but social care in particular is going to need a much more conciliatory approach since any long term solution will ideally be cross party. I am not sure on the basis of his previous experience that that is his style.

Personally, I would rather have had Hunt back if he had been willing to do it. He probably has a better grip of these issues than anyone in government and has kept on top of them with his select committee role. Zahawi would have been another possibility. What Boris clearly wanted was someone who would slot in with no other reshuffle at this point and the Saj does achieve that. I hope I am wrong in this but Health and Social Care Secretary is going to be at least the third most important job in the government after PM and Chancellor over the next couple of years. I am not completely convinced Javid is the man for that.

Hunt would have been a far better appointment if only because he has more than a faint clue if what the job entails.

That said, I’m looking forward to the social care plan which the Hancock resignation letter assured us was not only oven ready, but almost full baked…
    Do you mean 50% baked?
  • Options

Stocky said:

Labour's policies are their business. All I am doing is pointing out the glaring hypocrisy of condemning a person for wielding power you yourself endowed.
    Your views on this are almost as eccentric as the single Hancock defender who called R4 yesterday to explain that the guy who had written the rules should, obviously, be allowed to bend them himself.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    DavidL said:

You are making the mistake of analysing Johnson's government in conventional terms. Clearly I took this too far yesterday when I declared that Hancock would not go, due to Johnson's debasement of our political culture, but I think a much more important aspect to Javid's return is that Carrie was once one of his special advisors and, since the palace coup that ousted Cummings, a personal connection to Mrs PM is of far greater importance than the trifling details of being on top of his brief, or able to make a decent fist of a statement to the Commons.
  • Options
    Roger said:

But as the program was finishing the BBC apologised for any offense it might have caused. I'm all for PC but i'm starting to worry that soon nothing will be acceptable.

It was a ridiculous comment by the BBC to be honest. If they have an element of humour in a political programme you are going to get the odd teasing comment, that's the point after all. The acid test would be if they have these disclaimers after the News Quiz or Dead Ringers.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Your views on this are almost as eccentric as the single Hancock defender who called R4 yesterday to explain that the guy who had written the rules should, obviously, be allowed to bend them himself.
    Never mind condemning my views sunshine, what are your f8cking views? lets have them, so that I can drive a bus through them
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

One of Hancock's major flaws is that he is an inveterate liar, and not just to his wife and kids. I wouldn't put too much store on that.

He also, in fairness, had strengths and I think that he did much better in the second half of the crisis than he did in the first. Clearly not a stupid man, he applied himself diligently and got on top of some of the chaos he had caused in the initial panic. But its a bit of a stretch to think he had a lot of spare time to think about Social Care.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,240

Roger said:

But as the program was finishing the BBC apologised for any offense it might have caused. I'm all for PC but i'm starting to worry that soon we aren't going to be able to say anything.

They think Agatha Christie will be offended?
    More like thinking it's the woman's name that is amusing when the bloke is Mr Hancock.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Nigelb said:

No. The disgust should be with his fellow parliamentarians of all stripes. They gave him his exalted power and allowed him to exercise it without sufficient check and balance.

I believe Hancock discredits our entire political class. Let's face it. The chief sentiment towards Hancock amongst his peers was envy.
    How can you blame the opposition for this? The first person to blame would be Johnson as he gave him the job. I suppose you could try and blame the people for voting him in, not sure about that. Maybe blame the people of Uxbridge or Suffolk Coastal? Going back to 2019 you could say the Conservative MPs are to blame for selecting him, but not all did!
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Do you mean 50% baked?
    “We… will fix the problems in social care once and for all.”
  • Options

DavidL said:

You are making the mistake of analysing Johnson's government in conventional terms. Clearly I took this too far yesterday when I declared that Hancock would not go, due to Johnson's debasement of our political culture, but I think a much more important aspect to Javid's return is that Carrie was once one of his special advisors and, since the palace coup that ousted Cummings, a personal connection to Mrs PM is of far greater importance than the trifling details of being on top of his brief, or able to make a decent fist of a statement to the Commons.
    He didn’t want Dom to think he had got one over on him by Hancock going, so replaced him with someone DC also dislikes.
  • Options

Re Matt Hancock and won't someone think of the children.

It will not have been much fun for the children to find that mummy or daddy won't live there any more but single-parent families are hardly unknown.

From ONS:
    There were 2.9 million lone parent families in 2019, which is 14.9% of families in the UK; London has the highest proportion (19.1%), while the South West of England (10.9%) has the lowest.
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/families/bulletins/familiesandhouseholds/2019

How does it work from an expenses perspective? Presumably his constituency house was his primary residence and then he rented a flat in London? But now if he is in London all the time can he claim that Sussex is his principal residence?
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Do you mean 50% baked?
    Wonderfully put.
  • Options

DavidL said:

You are making a different mistake, focusing on why the appointment was made rather than thinking about whether he will be any good at it. I think the Carrie connection has probably helped him but so has being a loyal foot soldier ever since he quit, never joining the awkward squad. Hunt has been a bit more equivocal in his committee role and personal loyalty is very, very important to Boris.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Hancock has cut through to “the youth”.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdPtT6eK/

Man, it's been all over Instagram for the last two days. He's such a memeworthy person in general and this has just multiplied it by 100x. On my Instagram cut through index this was definitely number one issue since Dom all the way back in 2020.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I am surprised that our BP expert linguists have not come up with a bit of fun on the subject of the fair Gina's surname. Surely "cola" is "tail" and "dangelo" is "of an angel"?

and in the photos, Mr Hancock did seem to be rather keen on that part of her anatomy.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    I didn’t realise that the incident happened in Hancock’s own personal office. I bet that’ll cause some interesting discussions among ministers - I doubt too many would be aware that they’re being filmed when in their own office.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

How can you blame the opposition for this? The first person to blame would be Johnson as he gave him the job. I suppose you could try and blame the people for voting him in, not sure about that. Maybe blame the people of Uxbridge or Suffolk Coastal? Going back to 2019 you could say the Conservative MPs are to blame for selecting him, but not all did!
    In case you weren't paying attention, the opposition sanctioned powers for Hancock undreamt of by any Health secretary ever - in this past this was a middle ranking cabinet position at best and a poisoned challice at worst.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

No, he excludes all - the PM, the Tory majority in the Commons, and the electorate who voted them in - and blames it entirely on the second order problem of a weak and poorly led opposition.
  • Options
    Andrew Marr got Covid in the last week or two despite having had both jabs

https://twitter.com/thesun/status/1409073788038361090?s=21
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,900
    edited June 2021

Jess Phillips MP
    @jessphillips
    ·
    1h
    Hope my husband doesn't start putting me first Matt Hancock style.

It can only be a matter of time before 'Hancock' joins the lexicon of terms to describe...

1.sex at work. ( a quick Hancock)
    2.bottom squeezing (a Hancock)
    3. being caught on a hidden camera at work (being Hancocked)
    4. being fired for any of the above (been Hancocked)

None of them well catered for (at the moment) by the English language

(Jess Phillips for Labour leader-if they can't get Marina Hyde)
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

DavidL said:

The inevitable Johnson - Carrie bust up is really going be quite something. Who will get custody of the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care?
    (This) Mrs Johnson, as an RC, doesn't, I assume, believe in divorce, only in annulment.
  • Options
    isam said:

And ?

It is not 100% effective, no vaccine is, but the evidence is that jabs are working. Irrespective of what happened to some BBC hack.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    In the midst of a national outbreak - Australia risks throwing away unused AZ jabs:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/gps-fear-astrazeneca-vaccines-could-go-to-waste-20210625-p584b5.html
  • Options

Nigelb said:

In case you weren't paying attention, the opposition sanctioned powers for Hancock undreamt of by any Health secretary ever - in this past this was a middle ranking cabinet position at best and a poisoned challice at worst.
    OIC, now I get what you mean. The problem is It's quite difficult to read all of the thread conversations. My answer to your first comment would depend on whether you believe that Hancock/Johnson's rules have gone above and beyond what was originally sanctioned by parliament.
  • Options
    borisatsunborisatsun Posts: 188
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You are making a different mistake, focusing on why the appointment was made rather than thinking about whether he will be any good at it. I think the Carrie connection has probably helped him but so has being a loyal foot soldier ever since he quit, never joining the awkward squad. Hunt has been a bit more equivocal in his committee role and personal loyalty is very, very important to Boris.
    Howard Beckett firmly believes the Saj has been brought in just to sell off the NHS..

https://twitter.com/BeckettUnite/status/1408864261477130247
  • Options
    Yes he was, doesn’t mean he’d be fantastic as Dr Who. Many names have been put in the frame but whoever gets it unless the scripts improve the ratings will still remain low.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,452
    ClippP said:

Roger said:

I am surprised that our BP expert linguists have not come up with a bit of fun on the subject of the fair Gina's surname. Surely "cola" is "tail" and "dangelo" is "of an angel"?

and in the photos, Mr Hancock did seem to be rather keen on that part of her anatomy.
    Coda is tail, or queue
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Give it a week and Hancock will be so last year just as Cummings is/was. Cummings will be taken down.one way or another its just a question of time imho. They must have a book of dirt on him ..
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,138
    isam said:

The symptoms were akin to a "summer cold"

Now having been infected he moves to a much higher level of protection.

The vaccination allowed him to do that with only minor effects.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,452
    Nigelb said:

Stocky said:

Maybe that was just Matt trying to put a gloss on things?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

isam said:

Yes, strange he says it’s both ‘very nasty’ and akin to a ‘summer cold’, which doesn’t sound that nasty, relatively speaking.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Howard Beckett firmly believes the Saj has been brought in just to sell off the NHS..

The idea that you can sell off cost centres with no obvious income flows seems to me to have certain flaws. Imagine the pitch:

"Yeah, we are open to all customers every minute of the day and we simply deal with what they throw at us regardless of what it costs".

"Wow, and what do these customers pay for this fabulous service?"

"Well, nothing, it's free at the point of delivery."

"Err... that's a tough sell, even in the current market. Even Uber might make a profit one day."
  • Options

isam said:

Vaccines work
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    While Gina G sang 'Just a little bit', Gina C offered a little bit more.

(It has taken me 24 hours to come up with that.)
  • Options
    O/T - Australia seems to have a real problem. Astra is their main vaccine but nobody wants it. Some of the discussions sound like U.K. April 20 (“Policemen moving people on for sitting on park benches!”). Contact tracing appears to be on the verge of reaching it’s limit (how many “venues of concern” becomes unmanageable?).

They must really hope it hasn’t spread far more than they are picking up.

Obviously they are far better off than almost everywhere is objective terms. But when the entire country has got used to the zero Covid mindset...
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

Nigelb said:

I’ve really got to ask, because you’ve been banging on about this for a couple of days now: what particular power did Matt Hancock exercise with her that was granted to him under covid regulations?
    Shagging around does seem to have been a thing even before covid, I understand.
    The biggie on the abuse of power was, in my mind, granting an NED to someone he was shagging, but that’s not a use of covid emergency legislation, I understand (any more than Jenrick’s dodgy planning permission thing was under covid emergency legislation.
    The hypocrisy charge, which also sticks, is that he didn’t abide by the rules his Department had a lead role in making - not that he wrote rules to exempt himself from them.

Hypocrisy: yes.
    Failing to abide by the rules: yes.
    Abuse of power to appoint an NED: yes.

But you keep going on about him being granted special exalted power and abusing it, which seems rather disconnected from the entire affair.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

The idea that you can sell off cost centres with no obvious income flows seems to me to have certain flaws. Imagine the pitch:

"Yeah, we are open to all customers every minute of the day and we simply deal with what they throw at us regardless of what it costs".

"Wow, and what do these customers pay for this fabulous service?"

"Well, nothing, it's free at the point of delivery."

"Err... that's a tough sell, even in the current market. Even Uber might make a profit one day."
    The taxpayer pays. The contract will have us paying a private company twice what the NHS costs, and they'll charge extra if patients present with more than one symptom.
  • Options
    Taz said:

isam said:

Vaccines work
    And yet a huge chunk of the zero Covid/scientific elite will use this to insinuate the opposite :(
  • Options
    borisatsunborisatsun Posts: 188
    tlg86 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Alasdair_CM/status/1408879159645032452

Can’t believe no one is exploring the whole “Coladangelo is Bob Wilson’s niece” angle to this story

I’ve been trying to verify if this is true or someone’s idea of a joke.

Heather Coladangelo, Gina's Mum, was a director of the Willow Foundation, the charity Bob Wilson set up after his daughter Willow died.
    https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/WDjVTWllNU5rXnk6TunogMsuGwc/appointments

I think that verifies it?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,077

Re the colorful nature of the current HMG frontbench, reckon this is one of the great unsung success stories in British politics and society. Beyond individual achievement, a success for their families, communities, the Conservative Party and the whole freaking somewhat occasionally United Kingdom.

What bollox, the colour of their skin gives them no special powers to be any better than the other pile of crap we have, they have climbed the same greasy pole.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Taz said:

isam said:

Vaccines work
    And yet a huge chunk of the zero Covid/scientific elite will use this to insinuate the opposite :(
    I only heard about it because anti vaxx, anti government mates shared it on WhatsApp in a ‘I’ll just leave this here’ style (obviously my mates don’t use those kind of phrases)
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited June 2021
    alex_ said:

O/T - Australia seems to have a real problem. Astra is their main vaccine but nobody wants it. Some of the discussions sound like U.K. April 20 (“Policemen moving people on for sitting on park benches!”). Contact tracing appears to be on the verge of reaching it’s limit (how many “venues of concern” becomes unmanageable?).

They must really hope it hasn’t spread far more than they are picking up.

Obviously they are far better off than almost everywhere is objective terms. But when the entire country has got used to the zero Covid mindset...

The issue is their zero Covid policy has removed any sense of urgency. They clearly thought they could keep doing this kind of thing indefinitely but now the rest of the (Western) world is opening up on a more permanent basis and they're having to enter a full lockdown.

They need not have necessarily changed their border policy, but they should have thrown money at vaccines like we did and encouraged a speedy rollout by warning the public that it's only through vaccination that the threat is properly removed.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ClippP said:

Roger said:

Coda is tail, or queue
    In Spanish the word is cola. What does cola mean in Italian?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Taz said:

isam said:

Vaccines work
    Yes, Marr has never been the brightest button but this interaction is extraordinarily thick. He should have been saying “I want to tell you about something absolutely wonderful. I was double jabbed in the spring and as a result, when I had a brush with covid last week, it was akin to a summer cold! And this is me, a 61 year old who has had a stroke and cancer!”
    Eloquently put and absolutely right.

This discussion has been closed.