Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The front pages are pretty bad for Hancock – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

I think it’s quite clear Hancock hasn’t been thought to be effective at all. I can disregard Cummings comments but the killer was Simon Stevens reaction for me when asked about Hancock.

So PBers are right - someone wants him gone. But now the risk is Boris’ competency is yet again bought back into the argument, by refusing to sack. Who benefits from Johnson’s government taking a hit in competency and popularity within the Tory party…

Hopefully you don’t mean michael gove. If he becomes PM I’m moving.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Cicero said:

I guess that there is a certain kind of grim satisfaction in watching the Tories tie themselves into knots defending the indefensible. However, as low grade loathsome as Hancock is, the real story is not his pathetic little fling and the abject incompetence and dishonesty that it exposes.

The real story is who released the CCTV and associated corroboration and why? It could, of course, be more of the brutal, but ultimately shallow revenge of Cummings. However it seems that the source may be elsewhere. Murdoch flexing his muscles re:GB News? Except that Rupes is distracted elsewhere (and is 90 after all) and it seems that this was not an in house sting from The Sun. More to the point BoJo has been a pretty big player in the media world and knows that he can probably face it down (albeit at a cost of buckets of shit hitting his head for a few weeks, which he figures he can brazen out as he has done so many times before).

Actually like Roger I don't think the fling itself is that pathetic - without knowing the marital circumstances it's impossible to judge the ethics, but the embrace itself looked sweetly affectionate. I do think that his previous record of condeming someone else for the same thing and insisting on rules for everyone else warrant resignation, but that's as far as I'd go.

But cui bono on the video? First, opportunity. Neither Boris nor any other politician seems likely to have access to CCTV (still less to long-distance paparazzi pictures). MI5? not really - they struggle to keep track of suspected terrorists, hard to imagine they assign people to peruse Westminster corridors. But some junior officer monitors CCTV, and that seems the first place to look. Second, motive. Might it not simply be money? I could well imagine the Sun paying £100K for it.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,009

Somebody has planned this out, seemingly we're going to get more of these revelations.

I wonder what BoJo has been up to.

Certainly there seems to be a build up towards the Sunday papers.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719
    edited June 2021
    As stocky notes Hancock cannot realistically undertake a Covid briefing any more. Yes others have done them but it shows that he can no longer perform a major function of his role, the health secretary in a pandemic simply cannot breach health rules, end of.

And if you can no longer do the job you need replacing - we are no longer in a period when the cost of junking him is too high.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    edited June 2021
    moonshine said:

I think it’s quite clear Hancock hasn’t been thought to be effective at all. I can disregard Cummings comments but the killer was Simon Stevens reaction for me when asked about Hancock.

So PBers are right - someone wants him gone. But now the risk is Boris’ competency is yet again bought back into the argument, by refusing to sack. Who benefits from Johnson’s government taking a hit in competency and popularity within the Tory party…

Same here. But it is bizarre how the footage was obtained

Imagine a series of cameras hidden all across Whitehall - there could be a load of this stuff about to “leak” out
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Abode, quite. The Russian event is currently one of the most tedious. Although still not as bad as Monaco.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    moonshine said:

Does anyone know how many senators will be shown the classified section of the UAP Taskforce report? All of them? Or just the intelligence committee and gang of 8?

I’m astounded (I really shouldnt be) that Philip and Robert can think the report no big deal. In plain language it states that they are a risk to flight safety and may be a risk to national security. Forget the rest, just consider that. They are a real physical phenomena that is categorically a risk to flight safety.

It goes on to say that they have no evidence they are from foreign adversaries. With all the trillions spent on military hardware, electronic surveillance, human sources etc… there’s “no evidence” they are from Russia or China. Let that part sink in.

And finally that at least 18 incidents showed “unusual flight characteristics”, namely very fast acceleration with no visible signs of propulsion.

These are incidents only recorded since 2004 and only by the Navy. Neither the Air Force or CIA cooperated with the report. In essence there are 18 (!) episodes equivalent to the famous Nimitz case involving David Fravor. That’s just the Navy and just those that were formally recorded.

And to Philip’s lament that “oh no they’re asking for more money”. When figures were last reported, the task force had an annual budget of just $22m. What do you think would be an appropriate percentage of the US military budget to spend further investigating physical objects around US military assets, that not only display technological signatures but have been categorised as: “clearly pose a safety of flight issue and may pose a challenge to U.S. national security”?

I agree with much of what you say, and Philip and Robert are both oddly incapable of mental flexibility, especially when they need to see new truths in contentious areas. Check the way Robert reacted to my posting the potential location of a BSL2 lab in Wuhan, he said it wasn't Wuhan, he said such a lab didn't exist, he said the map showed Swindon, he said the indicated location was wrong, he laughed that I believed in this mad theory - and then it turned out HE was wrong on all points, and he retreated with some humiliation.

He's a super smart guy, why did he leap to the false but orthodox conclusion? He lacks creative breadth of vision, perhaps: he has the kind of brain which is great for focussing on narrow facts, geeky corners of science, accepted versions of logic, but a brain which is less good at seeing hidden clues, implicit stories, and wider implications.

However, while I agree with you that this report subtly points to some pretty outrageous conclusions, for those able to read it that way, there is clearly a danger the USG will let this slip, having done its tiny job, and we all move on, and this bizarre question will return to the shadows.

And we will never know if anything really is out there (which is still far from proven). Shame

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977

Mr. Abode, quite. The Russian event is currently one of the most tedious. Although still not as bad as Monaco.

Hoping the changes next year may make Monaco a bit more interesting - but not holding out any hope. The history of the it means its place in the f1 calendar is untouchable
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Cicero said:

I guess that there is a certain kind of grim satisfaction in watching the Tories tie themselves into knots defending the indefensible. However, as low grade loathsome as Hancock is, the real story is not his pathetic little fling and the abject incompetence and dishonesty that it exposes.

The real story is who released the CCTV and associated corroboration and why? It could, of course, be more of the brutal, but ultimately shallow revenge of Cummings. However it seems that the source may be elsewhere. Murdoch flexing his muscles re:GB News? Except that Rupes is distracted elsewhere (and is 90 after all) and it seems that this was not an in house sting from The Sun. More to the point BoJo has been a pretty big player in the media world and knows that he can probably face it down (albeit at a cost of buckets of shit hitting his head for a few weeks, which he figures he can brazen out as he has done so many times before).

Actually like Roger I don't think the fling itself is that pathetic - without knowing the marital circumstances it's impossible to judge the ethics, but the embrace itself looked sweetly affectionate. I do think that his previous record of condeming someone else for the same thing and insisting on rules for everyone else warrant resignation, but that's as far as I'd go.

But cui bono on the video? First, opportunity. Neither Boris nor any other politician seems likely to have access to CCTV (still less to long-distance paparazzi pictures). MI5? not really - they struggle to keep track of suspected terrorists, hard to imagine they assign people to peruse Westminster corridors. But some junior officer monitors CCTV, and that seems the first place to look. Second, motive. Might it not simply be money? I could well imagine the Sun paying £100K for it.
    Unnamed sources confirm that Hancock’s three children and Gina’s three children all thought “the embrace looked sweetly affectionate”.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Good morning.

Good to see DavidL posting, reasonably cheerfully too. And he's obviously found a phone charger! Which is also good!

Someone up thread mentioned a video of Hancock's 'antics'; if something even moderately salacious gets about, surely his position will, as is said, become untenable.

And I agree that Jeremy Hunt could probably get up to speed quickly. Isn't the No2 in the Department Helen Whatley, though? She ought to know what's going on.
    Although ......

If Mancock has to resign then doesn't the pack turn on its next target? He has done nothing wrong* from the perspective of a party where everything is acceptable. His boss and colleagues have all done bad and the PM simply ignores it.

If bad is now a resignation offence won't they all end up going one at a time? Mancock wasted money so lets go after the PM. Mancock broke the Ministerial Code so lets go after Patel and the PM. Mancock lied so lets go after the PM and Patel and Williamson and we'll be here all day.

No wonder Shagger says "cased closed"...
    That is true. Johnson and Hancock need to front this out until Friday, by which time we will all be laughing hysterically at the hapless Starmer and Ledbetter.

Electoral failure trumps corruption and infidelity any day of the week, particularly on the Friday after a by-election.
    Poor Kim Leadbeater. Either she is nor referred to as just "Jo Cox's sister", or her surname is misspelt.

When I see a mob of anti-LGBT protesters heckling a politician for being a lesbian, I am waaaay, waaaay more likely to get out and vote for her.

Just as for any mob, really.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

This is troubling: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-57602773

A series of restrictions assuming continued social distancing for a Christmas market as a result of which it will run at a loss.
    Surely the need for those things will be ancient history by then?

Yes. It will take a while for people to adjust to the emergency being over.

We saw inertia at the beginning of the emergency and we will see inertia at the end. It will take some effort to overcome.
    It’s important that we do. Not just for the economy but for our collective sanity. The restrictions imposed here by the Council are just wrong.

A bizarre reluctance to have the equivalent of vaccine passports has already cost us most of the benefits that should have accrued from our early vaccination. We must not lose the rest from silly restrictions after this is over.
    This was one of the reasons why I despised the phrase, "the new normal." These restrictions were extraordinary and temporary - and now no longer necessary.

I can sympathise with people finding it hard to adjust, though. I see others calling it malevolence, and I just think it's simple psychology.
    It is. But it is something that the government should be alert to and working to prevent. If the legislation under which such restrictions are imposed is repealed the government must be careful that it is not replaced by a misuse of license requirements.
    I have heard tell of various officials looking to continue social distancing and mask wearing even if the government pulls any legal restrictions, as pandemics don't just end by government diktat.

I think any such are kidding themselves if they think trying to backdoor such things will not blow up in their face.

Lots of people will remain scared and cautious by choice and voluntarily adhere to such things if told to, but people have accepted the necessity of measures and their lawfulness. Loads will kick up hell if some council or business seeks to continue things past government requirement.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Out of interest, if you are having a secret office fling and scuttle off somewhere quiet to go both cheeks and a throat swab, surely you consider things like CCTV.

The camera is right in front of him. Directly. He doesn't see it? How dumb can you get?

It may not be an obvious camera, and I suspect most CCTV footage never gets looked at.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,661

alex_ said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

I cannot understand why there is even debate on this.

Hancock has broken the law and yet is still a senior government minister.

Extraordinary. As others have said this government is increasingly morally bankrupt.

Specifically, what law has he broken? I mean law, not guidelines. And remember this was a work colleague and working could continue.
    I am not sure that qualifies as work in the Civil Service code.

Damn, got me doing it as well now.

I am so bored of people hypocritically moaning about hypocrisy.
    I think the point is that you don’t have to socially distance with work colleagues - or to the extent that you do it is guidance. What the “work activities” actually are is irrelevant.
    I don't think that is correct. The work activities need to be "reasonably necessary for work purposes" to create the exemption from gatherings.

I can't see how that is the case?
    The police were faster than Hawaii 5 O when it was two lasses taking a walk in a Derbyshire park.

Why so slow now?
    Different forces. Maybe?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,159
    DavidL said:

This is troubling: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-57602773

A series of restrictions assuming continued social distancing for a Christmas market as a result of which it will run at a loss.
    Surely the need for those things will be ancient history by then?

I think it is a problem with planning for future events. We’ve been planning graduation for the two weeks from 19th July. Started back in feb. We were hoping for the full lifting on 23rd June, but of course that was delayed. In principle on the 19th everything should be lifted, but we cannot plan on that basis, so currently it’s outside (marque with sides up), chairs all 2m apart etc. The market planning will be reflecting similar. I can attest that it can be very crowded at times, almost impossible to get to certain stalls. Fewer more spread out stalls may make it a better experience, as well as safer. Don’t forgot there are going to be cases still, and some who cannot have the jab.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,588

isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

The FA have asked Wembley staff to play loud music at kick-off during England's remaining European Championship matches to drown out the boos from some fans when Gareth Southgate's players take the knee.

I went to see LAFC vs Dallas on Wednesday evening (it was fab, btw). Before the game, the Dallas players took the knee, but the LAFC players didn't. Interestingly, LAFC is probably the least "white" team in the league.

Highlights below, should anyone be interested in the quality of MLS play:

https://youtu.be/E4yz6Y6Y8cU
    Wrt to fans booing, it struck me that fans never booed Mesut Ozil for praying/reciting the Quaran before each match, nor other Muslims who do the same. I doubt they’d boo players who took the knee either, if it was something they did while everyone else was warming up. So it must be the formality of stopping and having a legislated minutes silence for it that causes people to boo, as much as any resentment or resistance to BLM
    My problem with Ozil praying before each match was that it never seemed to do any good.
    Ah he was a sublime talent. It didn’t work out as well as it might have, but I loved watching him play - a true artist. He saw passes no one else could. I think the truth is we weren’t good enough to have such a luxury. ‘The cherry on the cake… but there’s no cake’ - Tony Adams on Ozil

But I think it’s worth noting that he never got booed for the prayers - because I think if the PL legislated a minutes silence in the ground for players prayers, fans would boo during that minute. It’s not much different to telling kids at school to be silent when they’re excited to get on with something.

Nobody wishes to disrespect deep convictions but those that really have them (and not those who merge with showing off/virtue showing) tend to do them in private. Not sure why Ozil could not do his praying in the dressing room /toilet etc just before . I dont think the Koran makes a distinction between a open arena and a dressing room for prayer for instance. Spectators go to sport to watch sport , they dont go for religion or indeed politics or moral crusades
    Lots of footballers have pre-match rituals, from tapping the tunnel on the way out to praying. Mahrez prayed while waiting for the whistle, and 'nacho always does to. He always praises God after every goal too.

I don't have a problem with it. PL players are often from countries with strong religious traditions. Our Thai owners sometimes get Bhuddist monks to bless the stadium too, I think that there are not many Bhuddists in the crowd, but always treated with respect.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited June 2021
    Why does it matter if the Labour candidate is gay? Who cares, what is wrong with people seriously
  • Options

alex_ said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

Extraordinary. As others have said this government is increasingly morally bankrupt.

Specifically, what law has he broken? I mean law, not guidelines. And remember this was a work colleague and working could continue.

I think the point is that you don’t have to socially distance with work colleagues - or to the extent that you do it is guidance. What the “work activities” actually are is irrelevant.
    I don't think that is correct. The work activities need to be "reasonably necessary for work purposes" to create the exemption from gatherings.

He may argue that since they were exempt for legitimate purposes and so gathered, a personal non legitimate gathering is not technically a breach since for Covid purposes theyd legitimately formed a close contact already.

It would matter to the police, but not anyone else - the perception is what matters, and it looks bloody awful, hes even on camera talking about affairs. So technically a crime matters little even if so - I bet hes talked about spirit of the rules not just the letter.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    Rumours that Coladangelo's brother was given some of the lucrative PPE contracts by the NHS....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

Would we all cheer if Hancock was replaced with Hunt this morning?

Would anyone prefer Hancock? Anyone?

I quite like there being someone both competent and clean of this government being ready and able to take over one day. It won't happen but Hunt on the backbenches helps retain a sliver of hope.
    Sudden throught.

Hancock has to stay.

If he’s removed, Health might get Gove or Williamson...
    Nah, you'd end up with Dowden at Health, Williamson would get shunted off to Culture, and Gove would go back to Education - which I'm sure you'd really, really love.
    Oh good grief.

It’s too late to resign this year...and I can’t face the thought of Gove again.

Couldn’t we have somebody less destructive, like Attila the Hun?
    Hes busy in heaven.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Out of interest, if you are having a secret office fling and scuttle off somewhere quiet to go both cheeks and a throat swab, surely you consider things like CCTV.

The camera is right in front of him. Directly. He doesn't see it? How dumb can you get?

It may not be an obvious camera, and I suspect most CCTV footage never gets looked at.
    Other implication is that they don't care, because it is generally known within the workplace.

Just thinking - when I worked in the Civil Service, if I behaved like that (except possibly as a one-off at the office party, not that I ever did) it would be at least an interview with management, HR and the union rep all present.

But rules are for little people.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    Hancock should go. His replacement should be Steve Baker - we need someone at health with a brain, who isn't completely two faced, and who isn't in the grip of the zero Covid lunatics.

If Matt Hancock wants to delay unlocking again, I'd just assume that he's still on a power trip, and has probably been fed another study by Warwick that predicts double the entire population getting it by next Tuesday if we unlock. If Baker delayed, you'd know he was convinced something terrible would happen if we went ahead.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    IanB2 said:

Rumours that Coladangelo's brother was given some of the lucrative PPE contracts by the NHS....

Thanks for helpfully spreading rumours ...
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,324
    Carnyx said:

alex_ said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

The police were faster than Hawaii 5 O when it was two lasses taking a walk in a Derbyshire park.

Why so slow now?
    Different forces. Maybe?
    The Metropolitan Police stopped women buying coffee in Borough Market and broke up a perfectly legal church service but were OK with cyclists driving across London from Westminster to Stratford.
  • Options
    borisatsunborisatsun Posts: 188

Why does it matter if the Labour candidate is gay? Who cares, what is wrong with people seriously

Because a gay candidate is less likely to support the noble Muslim cause of preventing their primary school children from getting a gay education?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,020

DavidL said:

David, I saw you post that you were unwell, but then missed several threads (Midsommar celebrations etc). I assume that all went well in the end? Glad to see you posting.

Still in hospital Stuart , hence the posts in the middle of the night

Sorry to hear that, but I hope you’re getting the help you need.
    Not a big fan of overnight hospital stays, bring back unpleasant memories. And in Sweden you have to pay for overheads and food.
    I woke up in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary in 1964 being very sick in the early hours of the morning having suffered concussion playing football and had partial amnesia for several months.

An excellent hospital and the right place to be if you are unwell

And my very best wishes to @DavidL.
    I recently cycled a lot closer to the Royal Infirmary than I intended after taking a wrong turn in Little France park on my way to Craigmillar Castle.

I'd cheerfully used my bell to let a couple of plod know to make way for me as I passed them rapidly downhill, but then had to struggle back past them up the incline after realising my mistake.
    Is Craigmillar worth a visit? I’m always taken by surprise when that big lump of a castle hoves into view, though never stopped to explore.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Some clown here said yesterday that by calling for Hancocks resignation, the Lib Dems had missed an open goal. I don´t think I was the only one to vent a gentle belly laugh at that.

pretty sure that was suggested on the basis the reasoningof the LDs was he should already have resigned for being bad at his job, a view people might agree with but which has not hitherto been widespread, and which undermines criticism from them that he should resign now, as clearly theyd ask for resignation for everyday things.

• Options
    moonshine said:

I thought you’d welcome your new alien overlord.
  • Options

DavidL said:

David, I saw you post that you were unwell, but then missed several threads (Midsommar celebrations etc). I assume that all went well in the end? Glad to see you posting.

Not a big fan of overnight hospital stays, bring back unpleasant memories. And in Sweden you have to pay for overheads and food.
    Really? I hope its least charged later.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

DavidL said:

I woke up in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary in 1964 being very sick in the early hours of the morning having suffered concussion playing football and had partial amnesia for several months.

I recently cycled a lot closer to the Royal Infirmary than I intended after taking a wrong turn in Little France park on my way to Craigmillar Castle.

I'd cheerfully used my bell to let a couple of plod know to make way for me as I passed them rapidly downhill, but then had to struggle back past them up the incline after realising my mistake.
    Is Craigmillar worth a visit? I’m always taken by surprise when that big lump of a castle hoves into view, though never stopped to explore.
    Me neither, but it's closed anyway (pox). Does look promising though, and it's gey historic.

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/craigmillar-castle/overview/

Edit: grounds open, but not castle itself.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137

I think Hancock should go. Not because of an inter-office romance, even if it might perhaps have breached some keep-your-distance regs his department is tasked with putting out.

The wider concern is the contracts awarded to people in his orbit. Now, having to knock all that on the head might be problematic for senior members of the Government - especially those who have a similar attitude to "rewarding friends for being friends". But it is the greatest risk to the chances of this government being re-elected. They need a stern reminder that Government's lose elections - and letting this continue unchecked is the way they will lose.

Don't worry.

Your victory lap on Friday (courtesy of Gorgeous George) is still in order. I am hoping Blue will be back by then, to indulge too. Enjoy!
  • Options
    edited June 2021

moonshine said:

I thought you’d welcome your new alien overlord.
    That would certainly turbocharge the indy debate, with a PM whose very legitimacy as a MP never mind a PM would quite possibly evaporate at 00:01 on independence day, given the sentiments expressed by PBTories and no doubt other Tories
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

This illustrates the Prime Minister's dilemma. If Hancock goes then journalists will be poring over the timelines of Boris/Carrie, and questions about contracts for friends and relatives will reopen questions about Boris and Arcuri.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited June 2021

Because a gay candidate is less likely to support the noble Muslim cause of preventing their primary school children from getting a gay education?
    The priorities people have are bizarre. I personally think teaching homosexuality is very important but I’m not sure I’d harass an MP over it
  • Options
    Mr. Abode, aye, alas. Worst circuit on the calendar and the only one that's guaranteed to be there.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    edited June 2021

I think Hancock should go. Not because of an inter-office romance, even if it might perhaps have breached some keep-your-distance regs his department is tasked with putting out.

The wider concern is the contracts awarded to people in his orbit. Now, having to knock all that on the head might be problematic for senior members of the Government - especially those who have a similar attitude to "rewarding friends for being friends". But it is the greatest risk to the chances of this government being re-elected. They need a stern reminder that Government's lose elections - and letting this continue unchecked is the way they will lose.

Don't worry.

Your victory lap on Friday (courtesy of Gorgeous George) is still in order. I am hoping Blue will be back by then, to indulge too. Enjoy!
    Anyone know where @BluestBlue is? Hasn't posted for two weeks. Perhaps abroad and can't post I guess (I see he is still "active" recently). I can't post on my iphone - not sure why - has to be on my PC.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

This illustrates the Prime Minister's dilemma. If Hancock goes then journalists will be poring over the timelines of Boris/Carrie, and questions about contracts for friends and relatives will reopen questions about Boris and Arcuri.
    Hmm. I'm not convinced by that reasoning. Boris is already PM and some people obsessively hate him, not just politically oppose him, surely journalists somewhere have already had the go ahead to devote tim to pour over every detail of those matters?

Yes, reopening things, but as the very question demonstrates Hancock bonking and awarding contracts invites focus on Boris whether hes sacked or not.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Stocky said:

Don't worry.

Anyone know where @BluestBlue is? Hasn't posted for two weeks. Perhaps abroad and can't post I guess. I can't post on my iphone - not sure why - has to be on my PC.
    Probably can't work out how to set the date on his mobile to VI ante Kalendas Iulii.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

Hoping the changes next year may make Monaco a bit more interesting - but not holding out any hope. The history of the it means its place in the f1 calendar is untouchable
    It was said 30 years ago, that F1 cars had outgrown Monaco - and they’re a lot bigger and faster now, than they were then. It’s only on the calendar because it’s always been, and because the sponsors love the place. Great to watch on Saturday though, as they push everything right up to the limit in qualifying.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,914
    edited June 2021
    🤣

God this is even worse with the audio

https://twitter.com/ofalafel/status/1408539929798483972?s=21
  • Options

Most of the no-bid contracts for friends and relatives can probably be pinned on Hancock and the rest on Dominic Cummings. Boris's hands may be clean and that is what will matter when the Prime Minister considers Hancock's future. The risk for Boris is that it reopens the question of the £100,000 to Jennifer Arcuri.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,167

DavidL said:

There's a decent amount of the castle still standing, and some good views.

It will always have a special memory for me since when we visited in 2019, our time enjoying the view from the battlements coincided with the arrival of the massed cavalry* on its way to Edinburgh Castle. This wasn't something we knew about in advance, but the perfect vantage point for such a surprise.

* https://edinburghridingofthemarches.com/
  • Options

The priorities people have are bizarre. I personally think teaching homosexuality is very important but I’m not sure I’d harass an MP over it
    Which is why the small minority who do care can win, if we are not careful - some local MPs take pretty execreble positions when there are school protests around these matters, presumably as they get it in the neck more if they don't, then they do praise for pushing back.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,516

There are three questions there, each of which which a committee of the 15 wisest people in history from Socrates to Einstein will be unable to answer.

• Options

Mr. Abode, aye, alas. Worst circuit on the calendar and the only one that's guaranteed to be there.

Even that wouldn't be so bad if it were not for some having a bizarre wish to create more Monaco like circuits on the calendar, not minimise them.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,167
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

Me neither, but it's closed anyway (pox). Does look promising though, and it's gey historic.

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/craigmillar-castle/overview/

Edit: grounds open, but not castle itself.
    The castle park is a pleasant place for a walk about too - lots of ~20 year old trees as planted as a millennium wood.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,538
    edited June 2021

I'm delighted that you are concerned about the cronyism in awarding contracts issue, and that you disapprove of "rewarding friends for being friends".

However, I'm disappointed that it has taken Hancock's misdemeanours for you to raise this concern, when such cronyism, some of which is tantamount to corruption, has been evident in the awarding of contracts since the start of the pandemic. You and other Tories have defended the government on this for the last year when people like me have raised it - what's changed?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,708
    kle4 said:

alex_ said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

He may argue that since they were exempt for legitimate purposes and so gathered, a personal non legitimate gathering is not technically a breach since for Covid purposes theyd legitimately formed a close contact already.

It would matter to the police, but not anyone else - the perception is what matters, and it looks bloody awful, hes even on camera talking about affairs. So technically a crime matters little even if so - I bet hes talked about spirit of the rules not just the letter.
    IANAL and there are several on this forum so perhaps they may elaborate but I fail to see how such an argument holds any water. The law was never that once you have formed a close contact you could gather indoors with them on an ongoing basis. It was that you could only gather indoors with someone specifically for an exempt reason, or if they were in your household or support bubble.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,955
    algarkirk said:

There are three questions there, each of which which a committee of the 15 wisest people in history from Socrates to Einstein will be unable to answer.

It doesn't except for the fact GG sees it as a point that may encourage older Muslim to vote for him instead of Labour.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It was said 30 years ago, that F1 cars had outgrown Monaco - and they’re a lot bigger and faster now, than they were then. It’s only on the calendar because it’s always been, and because the sponsors love the place. Great to watch on Saturday though, as they push everything right up to the limit in qualifying.
    It's a place for smoozing rather than racing.

Thankfully with at least 16 other races it doesn't really impact the season's end result.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

Would we all cheer if Hancock was replaced with Hunt this morning?

Would anyone prefer Hancock? Anyone?

I quite like there being someone both competent and clean of this government being ready and able to take over one day. It won't happen but Hunt on the backbenches helps retain a sliver of hope.
    Sudden throught.

Hancock has to stay.

If he’s removed, Health might get Gove or Williamson...
    Nah, you'd end up with Dowden at Health, Williamson would get shunted off to Culture, and Gove would go back to Education - which I'm sure you'd really, really love.
    Oh good grief.

It’s too late to resign this year...and I can’t face the thought of Gove again.

Couldn’t we have somebody less destructive, like Attila the Hun?
    Hes busy in heaven.
    His corpse would probably be a much better SoS than any plausible alternative, or indeed most incumbents of the last 50 years.

At least he would make no totally stupid decisions.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Hmm. I'm not convinced by that reasoning. Boris is already PM and some people obsessively hate him, not just politically oppose him, surely journalists somewhere have already had the go ahead to devote tim to pour over every detail of those matters?

Yes, reopening things, but as the very question demonstrates Hancock bonking and awarding contracts invites focus on Boris whether hes sacked or not.
    It is a question of hypocrisy.

Remember the Conservative leadership campaign. All (or most) of the candidates confessed to dallying with drugs but only Gove was forced out, because he had threatened to sack teachers doing the same. Boris was given a free pass for snorting icing sugar.

Part of the case against Hancock is that he called for Ferguson to go for seeing his lady friend. If Hancock is forced out, then the same question of hypocrisy moves up the ladder to Boris. If Hancock stays, then Boris is not a hypocrite.
  • Options

I can't think of anything I'm upset enough about that I'd actually harrass an MP about it..

Didn't Grabcoque once harrass John Prescott on the street in London?

Does anyone remember what that was about?
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, not so much a deliberate design to copy the tedium as the fact street circuits are quicker to 'create' and countries that want to pay cash for marketing find them convenient.

Unfortunately, Baku excepted, they tend to be very boring...
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

It's a place for smoozing rather than racing.

Thankfully with at least 16 other races it doesn't really impact the season's end result.
    I get the lack of racing integrity with Monaco but tbh if somebody invited me to any grand prix a year I would pick Monaco .
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,188

James O'Brien
    @mrjamesob
    ·
    1h
    It’s not the infidelity, it’s the sacrifices everyone else made because *he* told them to that might yet do for Hancock. This isn’t going away.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,970
    moonshine said:

Cicero said:

Unnamed sources confirm that Hancock’s three children and Gina’s three children all thought “the embrace looked sweetly affectionate”.
    They must be quite young!
  • Options

Mr. kle4, not so much a deliberate design to copy the tedium as the fact street circuits are quicker to 'create' and countries that want to pay cash for marketing find them convenient.

If I'm likely to head to any race to watch in person, Baku would be my favourite option simply because I have zero other reason to go there.

Now if Istanbul has a race in 2022 we will go there as it would tie in with a holiday round Istanbul.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339

IanB2 said:

Thanks for helpfully spreading rumours ...
    Smears...
  • Options
    edited June 2021

But that was the point - they may not deliberately set out to select tedious circuits, but they have deliberately set out to, as with Monaco, not exclude circuits which are tedious, but prioritise prestige.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,970
    eek said:

If I'm likely to head to any race to watch in person, Baku would be my favourite option simply because I have zero other reason to go there.

Now if Istanbul has a race in 2022 we will go there as it would tie in with a holiday round Istanbul.
    Monaco is, I believe, popular as a 'go to' with the backroom teams.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, aye.

The Circuit of the Americas shows how good new tracks can be, but most new additions are distinctly lacklustre.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212

Morning all,

Have the police been to see Hancock yet? He looks to have broken the law over covid say leading lawyers.

I saw several tweets yesterday saying the polis weren’t going to prosecute because it would be retrospective. As more than one person pointed out, pretty much all police investigations are retrospective.
    The only ones that are not is where they are fitting someone up, sorry a sting operation.

Taggart never started with “There’s going to be a murder “ did it?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Not difficult to answer at all.

It matters because quite a lot of people have bigoted traditionalist views.
    People who care are mostly those who have bigoted traditionalist views and people who need to understand how those people will vote, such as politicians and political gamblers.
    And there are many things wrong with people, including an expectation that people behave rationally and correctly despite conclusive and repeated evidence to the contrary.
  • Options
    So, who has access to the CCTV room at the DoH, and doesn’t like Mr Hancock?

Next question, how much more do the papers have on him?
  • Options

I'm delighted that you are concerned about the cronyism in awarding contracts issue, and that you disapprove of "rewarding friends for being friends".

However, I'm disappointed that it has taken Hancock's misdemeanours for you to raise this concern, when such cronyism, some of which is tantamount to corruption, has been evident in the awarding of contracts since the start of the pandemic. You and other Tories have defended the government on this for the last year when people like me have raised it - what's changed?
    The fear of losing votes in sufficient numbers. Nothing else.
  • Options
    Mr. L, aye.

Not sure the police understand the concept of crime. All of it is stuff that happens in the past.

Even if it's a conspiracy to commit a crime. The conspiring bit's in the past, even if the murder or what have you has yet to occur.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

eek said:

Somewhere is a Jeremy Clarkson programme on Monaco where all the F1 drivers explain they live there because it is so convenient for the Grand Prix. So by a circular argument, there has to be a Grand Prix in Monaco or the drivers and team bosses would have to live in less convenient countries and pay income tax. :wink:
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

Jonathan said:

Good morning

This time yesteday I called on Hancock to resign and the fact he has not done so is unacceptable, and this conservative member has no hesitation in condemning Hancock's hypocrisy and if he is still in office by Monday, then Boris has to sack him

Failing that, the conservative mps need to question just how they can make Hancock go and even start considering just how long they are prepared to continue with Boris if he refuses yet again to do the right thing

Enough is enough and following Cummings debacle a repeat performance is just not acceptable

It is clear the conservative press have long since disliked Hancock and they are leading the pack for his dismissal and on this occasion I support their demands

However, I would also say to the press just leave Hancock's wife and her husband alone and keep away from their homes

This is a personal crisis for the families, and of course there is no doubt that Hancock's self inflicted own goal will deflect from his responsibilities.

It is inconceivable that he could lead a covid press conference

For goodness sake, Hancock, do the right thing for once and resign

However, my mood will be greatly improved later today when Wales beat Denmark

Can’t understand how anyone could think that Hancock should go, but Boris should stay.
    I was going to say. Big G - who has vocally supported lies and corruption and the code being broken - suddenly turns and says "enough is enough"? Will he also then back the other liars being sacked? Or the other code-breachers? Or the other people bunging money to their mates?

This is the quandry for the party. The press pack will understandibly be out for their head. They want the kill. But how can they then stop having said that breaking the law and the ministerial rules and propriety and ethics is a resignation offence? Patel and Liar would both have to go unless its one rule for them and another for Mancock.
    You simply do not understand that neither labour or the lib dems have anything remotely acceptable as an alternative
    When it comes to voting at a GE many people vote for the least-bad alternative so I can understand why some would vote for Boris when Corbyn was the alternative. (Although you could just have refused to support either as I did).

Where I disagree with your position is that you remain an active party member. When Corbyn won the Labour leadership I left the party as did thousands of others. Many Tories have left the party when Boris became leader, including several PB alumni. Criticism of Boris rings hollow when you continue to be a member of his party.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,096

isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

The FA have asked Wembley staff to play loud music at kick-off during England's remaining European Championship matches to drown out the boos from some fans when Gareth Southgate's players take the knee.

I went to see LAFC vs Dallas on Wednesday evening (it was fab, btw). Before the game, the Dallas players took the knee, but the LAFC players didn't. Interestingly, LAFC is probably the least "white" team in the league.

Wrt to fans booing, it struck me that fans never booed Mesut Ozil for praying/reciting the Quaran before each match, nor other Muslims who do the same. I doubt they’d boo players who took the knee either, if it was something they did while everyone else was warming up. So it must be the formality of stopping and having a legislated minutes silence for it that causes people to boo, as much as any resentment or resistance to BLM
    My problem with Ozil praying before each match was that it never seemed to do any good.
    Ah he was a sublime talent. It didn’t work out as well as it might have, but I loved watching him play - a true artist. He saw passes no one else could. I think the truth is we weren’t good enough to have such a luxury. ‘The cherry on the cake… but there’s no cake’ - Tony Adams on Ozil

But I think it’s worth noting that he never got booed for the prayers - because I think if the PL legislated a minutes silence in the ground for players prayers, fans would boo during that minute. It’s not much different to telling kids at school to be silent when they’re excited to get on with something.

Nobody wishes to disrespect deep convictions but those that really have them (and not those who merge with showing off/virtue showing) tend to do them in private. Not sure why Ozil could not do his praying in the dressing room /toilet etc just before . I dont think the Koran makes a distinction between a open arena and a dressing room for prayer for instance. Spectators go to sport to watch sport , they dont go for religion or indeed politics or moral crusades
    The Old Firm waves..
    People love a bit of recreational sectarianism.
  • Options

moonshine said:

Cicero said:

They must be quite young!
    It is a sweetly affectionate embrace.... between a couple that has clearly had sex quite a few times, enjoyed it, really like touching each other, and want to have sex again soon, not just right now in the office

Early stages of an affair, I'd say, but not day 1. Probably about 4 months in, when passions are running high
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212

It matters quite a lot to a significant percentage of the people Labour invited into our country to improve our social diversity. People who are now British and yet in many cases don’t share British values. Yet another tranche of the electorate Labour took for granted. Biter bit.
  • Options
    Claims the cameras are owned by a Chinese firm:
    https://twitter.com/tesssummers98/status/1408655902006255619

If true, Hancock should still go but more serious questions are raised.
  • Options
    Macron and Merkel decided to have an EU-Putin summit, when Macrel and Merkin would represent the EU position, thus showing *EU strategic autonomy from the USA*

... except the rest of the EU told them to sit down and STFU, Paris and Berlin are *not* Europe. The Eastern Europeans disagreed with cuddling up to Putin, Rome, Warsaw and Madrid disliked the arrogance form France and Germany. Lol

Couldn't happen to a nicer couple

"#Merkel and #Macron were visibly annoyed today about the rejection of their idea for an EU summit with #Putin.

"But while #Biden speaking for Europe might have been implicit, for Merkel and Macron's summit it would have been explicit. And many capitals didn't like that."

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1408423051495084032?s=20
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Presumably Hancock knows what they might have on him?

I mean, if he's been getting really saucy at the office with his aide (or someone else?!) then he'll know that might also have been filmed and surely would have resigned by now?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,271
    OllyT said:

Jonathan said:

Good morning

This time yesteday I called on Hancock to resign and the fact he has not done so is unacceptable, and this conservative member has no hesitation in condemning Hancock's hypocrisy and if he is still in office by Monday, then Boris has to sack him

Failing that, the conservative mps need to question just how they can make Hancock go and even start considering just how long they are prepared to continue with Boris if he refuses yet again to do the right thing

Enough is enough and following Cummings debacle a repeat performance is just not acceptable

It is clear the conservative press have long since disliked Hancock and they are leading the pack for his dismissal and on this occasion I support their demands

However, I would also say to the press just leave Hancock's wife and her husband alone and keep away from their homes

This is a personal crisis for the families, and of course there is no doubt that Hancock's self inflicted own goal will deflect from his responsibilities.

It is inconceivable that he could lead a covid press conference

For goodness sake, Hancock, do the right thing for once and resign

However, my mood will be greatly improved later today when Wales beat Denmark

Can’t understand how anyone could think that Hancock should go, but Boris should stay.
    I was going to say. Big G - who has vocally supported lies and corruption and the code being broken - suddenly turns and says "enough is enough"? Will he also then back the other liars being sacked? Or the other code-breachers? Or the other people bunging money to their mates?

This is the quandry for the party. The press pack will understandibly be out for their head. They want the kill. But how can they then stop having said that breaking the law and the ministerial rules and propriety and ethics is a resignation offence? Patel and Liar would both have to go unless its one rule for them and another for Mancock.
    You simply do not understand that neither labour or the lib dems have anything remotely acceptable as an alternative
    When it comes to voting at a GE many people vote for the least-bad alternative so I can understand why some would vote for Boris when Corbyn was the alternative. (Although you could just have refused to support either as I did).

Where I disagree with your position is that you remain an active party member. When Corbyn won the Labour leadership I left the party as did thousands of others. Many Tories have left the party when Boris became leader, including several PB alumni. Criticism of Boris rings hollow when you continue to be a member of his party.
    Actually I am not active other than on here and contacting a long standing friend who happens to be a conservative mp who has affirmed he and other mps are demanding Hancock’s resignation to the whips office

I do not canvass or take part actively not least as I do not have the energy for it but to be fair I have not really been an activists other than at several general elections in the 1980s and most recently in 2010

I am content with HMG handling of the crisis and have no reason to change my stance, but on Hancock he is in a self inflicted impossible position and needs to resign
  • Options

kle4 said:

alex_ said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

IANAL and there are several on this forum so perhaps they may elaborate but I fail to see how such an argument holds any water. The law was never that once you have formed a close contact you could gather indoors with them on an ongoing basis. It was that you could only gather indoors with someone specifically for an exempt reason, or if they were in your household or support bubble.
    The law said people could gather indoors for work, so Matt and Gina are OK on that score. The law is silent on whether, having so gathered, it was in order to put on a show to titillate security guards.
  • Options

eek said:

Somewhere is a Jeremy Clarkson programme on Monaco where all the F1 drivers explain they live there because it is so convenient for the Grand Prix. So by a circular argument, there has to be a Grand Prix in Monaco or the drivers and team bosses would have to live in less convenient countries and pay income tax. :wink:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=_ObRzF8I5DE

Rather amusing to see most of them come up with contrived reasons for loving Monaco, when the real reason so many touring sportspeople live year, is of course because they are what a former prime minister called citizens of nowhere, and there’s no income tax for foreign residents in Monaco.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

So who inside the Tory Party wants him gone?

A leak of a Tory WhatsApp Group of the PM's comments followed by a leak of parliamentary security footage (which surely needs staff connivance to obtain)...

The PM. He doesnt want to sack him because it sets a precedent that incompetence and/or sleaze is unacceptable, which would require a brand new cabinet. He doesnt want him to stay as everyone knows the PM called him hopeless but left him in charge of the most important cabinet role over the last 75 years.

He must want Hancock to resign.
    He does, now, but I don't pin the leak on him - trying to get rid of Hancock using the affair would be idiotic even by his standards.

Someone senior in the Tory party wants Hancock out of the team.
    My 4d chess argument is that Gove wants him out of the Cabinet pouring ordure onto Sunak's head for delaying the autumn lockdown last year from the backbenches, as the multiple inquiries into Covid get going and the blame-pointing begins.

In one move Gove would damage two rivals for the top job.
    Certainly, having Hancock already disgraced when the inquiry begins will make it easy for the powers to pin any failings identified on him, rather than....
    While that is probably true the key question that Boris going to have to answer is why he persisted with a health minister he deemed to be "hopeless" in the middle of our worst health crisis in a century.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Macron and Merkel decided to have an EU-Putin summit, when Macrel and Merkin would represent the EU position, thus showing *EU strategic autonomy from the USA*

... except the rest of the EU told them to sit down and STFU, Paris and Berlin are *not* Europe. The Eastern Europeans disagreed with cuddling up to Putin, Rome, Warsaw and Madrid disliked the arrogance form France and Germany. Lol

"#Merkel and #Macron were visibly annoyed today about the rejection of their idea for an EU summit with #Putin.

"But while #Biden speaking for Europe might have been implicit, for Merkel and Macron's summit it would have been explicit. And many capitals didn't like that."

Why would they so publlicly float such an idea without checking that more of the other nations, especially those closer to the Russian border, were on board? That's just incompetent.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056
    edited June 2021

James O'Brien
    @mrjamesob
    ·
    1h
    It’s not the infidelity, it’s the sacrifices everyone else made because *he* told them to that might yet do for Hancock. This isn’t going away.

To be brutally realistic the sacrifices were generally good advice to stop people catching a dangerous virus.

Hancock was infected last year and was at minimal risk subsequently.

I suspect few previously infected people have been following covid restrictions with the rigour they would have if they hadn't been infected. Ditto for those vaccinated.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Why would they so publlicly float such an idea without checking that more of the other nations, especially those closer to the Russian border, were on board? That's just incompetent.
    Because they knew what the response would be.

But Merkel shut the nuclear power stations down, and has nowhere else to turn for her gas supply.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,271
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Arrogance as they believe the rest will bow to their will
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    1st dose numbers have been exceeding 2nd doses for about a week. Hard to be sure how next few weeks will go but it looks promising that 9 in 10 UK adults will have had 1st dose & 2/3 both doses by 19th July, ‘terminus date’ in England

https://twitter.com/BBCFergusWalsh/status/1408704827694190593?s=20
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Leon said:

And to think I was told that the EU was a racket set up for the benefit of & controlled by Germany and France, and therefore the UK was better off out.
    I don't think I can ever trust yon Brexiteers again!
  • Options

British Muslims attitude to homosexuality is equivalent to perhaps the Victorians, according to surveys anyway, and in seats where they are a significant voting bloc, people are using the fact the Labour candidate is gay to stop them voting for her.
  • Options

isam said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

The Old Firm waves..
    People love a bit of recreational sectarianism.
    Only some. There's Partick Thistle.
  • Options

kle4 said:

alex_ said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

The law said people could gather indoors for work, so Matt and Gina are OK on that score. The law is silent on whether, having so gathered, it was in order to put on a show to titillate security guards.
    The law said people could gather indoors for work if it was "reasonably necessary for work purposes", not that they could gather indoors regardless.
  • Options

kle4 said:

alex_ said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

The law said people could gather indoors for work if it was "reasonably necessary for work purposes", not that they could gather indoors regardless.
    If I follow that viewpoint Matt seems to be implying that Gina was providing "adult services" as part of the duties she performed.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Arrogance as they believe the rest will bow to their will
    Ironically, that was the Brexiteers' position too, and Remainers': that the EU is a racket run by France and Germany. They believed their own propaganda. But because France and Germany at least pay lip service to EU hegemony, David Cameron's attempt to negotiate directly with Angela Merkel was rebuffed, as were Leavers' attempts after the referendum.
  • Options
    isam said:

British Muslims attitude to homosexuality is equivalent to perhaps the Victorians, according to surveys anyway, and in seats where they are a significant voting bloc, people are using the fact the Labour candidate is gay to stop them voting for her.
    One has to be very careful when explaining this to avoid waking Kinabalu by setting off his finely tuned ra-cist-dar
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137

Good morning.

Good to see DavidL posting, reasonably cheerfully too. And he's obviously found a phone charger! Which is also good!

Someone up thread mentioned a video of Hancock's 'antics'; if something even moderately salacious gets about, surely his position will, as is said, become untenable.

And I agree that Jeremy Hunt could probably get up to speed quickly. Isn't the No2 in the Department Helen Whatley, though? She ought to know what's going on.
    Although ......

If Mancock has to resign then doesn't the pack turn on its next target? He has done nothing wrong* from the perspective of a party where everything is acceptable. His boss and colleagues have all done bad and the PM simply ignores it.

If bad is now a resignation offence won't they all end up going one at a time? Mancock wasted money so lets go after the PM. Mancock broke the Ministerial Code so lets go after Patel and the PM. Mancock lied so lets go after the PM and Patel and Williamson and we'll be here all day.

No wonder Shagger says "cased closed"...
    That is true. Johnson and Hancock need to front this out until Friday, by which time we will all be laughing hysterically at the hapless Starmer and Ledbetter.

Electoral failure trumps corruption and infidelity any day of the week, particularly on the Friday after a by-election.
    Poor Kim Leadbeater. Either she is nor referred to as just "Jo Cox's sister", or her surname is misspelt.

When I see a mob of anti-LGBT protesters heckling a politician for being a lesbian, I am waaaay, waaaay more likely to get out and vote for her.

Just as for any mob, really.
    Believe it or not I corrected the name of Jo Cox's sister to Ledbetter, because I had seen it on PB, and I didn't want to be humiliated by misspelling the name as per the family from The Good Life.

I wasn't aware Jo Cox's sister was part of the LGBT community. Fine by me, and surely George wouldn't try to exploit such a modern mainstream lifestyle choice for political advantage. It's not like she was involved in anything genuinely unpleasant, like say, being shill bidder for Sadam.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_ObRzF8I5DE

Rather amusing to see most of them come up with contrived reasons for loving Monaco, when the real reason so many touring sportspeople live year, is of course because they are what a former prime minister called citizens of nowhere, and there’s no income tax for foreign residents in Monaco.
    Didn't Hamilton I think point out he pays income tax in 23 different countries so removing cross border insanity on top starts to make sense.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Presumably Hancock knows what they might have on him?

I mean, if he's been getting really saucy at the office with his aide (or someone else?!) then he'll know that might also have been filmed and surely would have resigned by now?
    That would be the likely conversation between the minister and the PM.

If it’s a quick snog that happened once in the office, he probably gets away with it (apart from with his wife, of course!), but if there’s more of, or more serious, footage to come, then he’s in trouble and probably doesn’t last the weekend.
  • Options

James O'Brien
    @mrjamesob
    ·
    1h

To be brutally realistic the sacrifices were generally good advice to stop people catching a dangerous virus.

Hancock was infected last year and was at minimal risk subsequently.

I suspect few previously infected people have been following covid restrictions with the rigour they would have if they hadn't been infected. Ditto for those vaccinated.
    yeah but the best way to get people to follow orders is to lead by example . He clearly has not done that and really it is incredulous he is still in the job
  • Options

James O'Brien
    @mrjamesob
    ·
    1h

Have to agree with James O’Brien here.
  • Options
    surprised batley and spen betting has not moved away from the tories because of this. Get on labour or even galloway i say
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

kle4 said:

alex_ said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

This is all irrelevant anyway. Everyone knows that common sense is no defence against Hancock's Covid laws so trying to make mealy mouthed work arounds for him gets you nowhere.
  • Options
    isam said:

🤣

God this is even worse with the audio

https://twitter.com/ofalafel/status/1408539929798483972?s=21

@ofalafel's next joke is good as well:-
    "Fantastic rollout – 76% of adults over 40 have now been offered the Tottenham Hotspur manager's job."
This discussion has been closed.